PDA

View Full Version : Whos the better grasscourt player Venus or Serena?

Aaron.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Well maybe a year or two ago I would have said Venus but she can't return or serve for her life these days so I have to go with Serena

nfl46
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Venus.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:19 PM
If Serena wins this year, it's gonna be close. Venus has had so many great Wimbledons though.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
If Serena wins Wimbledon this year, she's in a great spot to surpass Venus. Poor Venus, has almost nothing over her younger sister :sad:

MegaDethly
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Poor Venus, has almost nothing over her younger sister :sad:

Poor you.

You've said this before and I thought I shut you up. That's crap, there's shit loads of records, numbers and tables where Venus is ahead of Serena, and then some.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Poor you.

You've said this before and I thought I shut you up. That's crap, there's shit loads of records, numbers and tables where Venus is ahead of Serena, and then some.

you mean the important ones? :lol:

madmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Venus..5 > 3 - simple arithmetics

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Regardless of this lost I am going with Venus. She just had an off day and lost but she is really awesome on the grass.

CloudAtlas
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Venus..5 > 3 - simple arithmetics

If Serena doesn't finish her career with equal or more Wimbledon titles than Venus I'll be very surprised.

Kunal
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM
serena

Uranium
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
8-time finalist with 5 times being a winner. To a 5-time finalist with 3 wins. I pick Venus. Who has made the QFs or better 11 of the 14 times she has played Wimbledon.

MegaDethly
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Anyone who says Serena is mathematically challenged.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Venus will always be the better grasscourt player. Her game is made for the stuff.

But Serena is the better player.

Dave.
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Better and Greater are two different things. If they were to play today (this year, but especially today :tape:) Serena would win, which makes her the better player. Still doesn't change the fact Venus is the greater (more accomplished) player on the surface.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
vinas is more accomplished but still trails the h-2-h on grass :inlove:

Bronx19
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Meh, the Williams are so 2000.

MegaDethly
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
vinas is more accomplished but still trails the h-2-h on grass :inlove:

A single head-to-head doesn't mean much when considering the bigger picture in an individual sport such as tennis, Einstein.

noamgdi
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
serena

hurricanejeanne
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Venus is the best grass courter, but Serena overall is just much more solid on any surface.

new-york
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Venus will always be the better grasscourt player. Her game is made for the stuff.

:worship:.

starin
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:55 PM
it's lame to ask this question after Venus' most pathetic loss at Wimbledon. Venus is probably the better player on grass but Serena is mentally tougher and that counts for more.

homogenius
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM
venus

jbeacinu
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Venus has never won a Wimbledon without wristbands on. I knew she wasn't going to win this year!

Kworb
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Serena for sure. She's played 11 Wimbledons, won 4. The other 7:

- was really young, injured, had to retire
- lost to her sister out of pity
- barely lost against an inspired Capriati
- lost to an inspired Sharapova
- was coming back from injury
- was injured against Justine
- lost to her sister out of pity

Venus has played 14 Wimbledons, she won 5 (Serena has a better win ratio). The other 9:

- pathetic loss against Grzybowska
- pathetic loss against Novotna
- pathetic loss against Graf
- destroyed by her sister
- pathetic loss against Sprem
- pathetic loss against Jankovic
- pathetic loss against Pironkova

Clearly Serena is greater and better on grass.

dsanders06
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
If both are playing at their best, grass is the only surface where Venus would beat Serena. Her flat serve and strokes suit it to a tee (compared to Serena's slightly more spinny serve/shots), and she's a much better volleyer.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
If both are playing at their best, grass is the only surface where Venus would beat Serena. Her flat serve and strokes suit it to a tee (compared to Serena's slightly more spinny serve/shots), and she's a much better volleyer.

Venus is the better grasscourt player with the better suited game to the surface. She has the better record and the better statistics on the surface as well.

If they are both playing well Serena would still win because Venus' return of serve is too meek. She isn't able to make Serena play enough when she is serving well.

LUVMIRZA
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Venus. Its a privilige to watch Venus playing on grass...such grace & athleticism...:worship: I guess we are all very fortunate to live in her generation to watch her play in wimbledon.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
A single head-to-head doesn't mean much when considering the bigger picture in an individual sport such as tennis, Einstein.

touchy touchy? :lol:

The Dawntreader
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Venus is the better grasscourt player with the better suited game to the surface. She has the better record and the better statistics on the surface as well.

If they are both playing well Serena would still win because Venus' return of serve is too meek. She isn't able to make Serena play enough when she is serving well.

Never used to be up until about 2 years ago.

Too focused on being exclusively high% on return now.

Monirena Wiles
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM

agreed! Venus' advantage on grass is canceled out by Serena's overall advantage as a tennis player. That is why I would say on grass they are equal.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Well..look at this for record by Serena: 11 wimbledons...SEVEN SF's and only twice lost before QF's! :eek:

But Vee has the titles, so Vee is greater..

Donny
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Better and Greater are two different things. If they were to play today (this year, but especially today :tape:) Serena would win, which makes her the better player. Still doesn't change the fact Venus is the greater (more accomplished) player on the surface.

Agree completely.

Serena won Wimbledon last year, beating Venus, and is still in with a chance to defend. As of right now she is unquestionably the better player.

SV_Fan
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have said this many times before......

No matter what the surface, I think well mostly know Venus is the better player. She does everything better than Serena only difference is she is not a mentally strong or consitent as Serena and that has been the determining factor in their careers.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
It's all mental baby...and with Serena's serve, no surprise she's so confident.

moby
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I have said this many times before......

No matter what the surface, I think well mostly know Venus is the better player. She does everything better than Serena only difference is she is not a mentally strong or consitent as Serena and that has been the determining factor in their careers.Umm, no. She's naturally more athletic, probably has better volleys, but that's about it.

klever58
Meeka

Direwolf
Well maybe a year or two ago I would have said Venus but she can't return or serve for her life these days so I have to go with Serena

Aaron

Im surprise!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Galsen
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:30 PM

you're so right:worship::worship:

1jackson2001
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Better form (as of today): Serena

Greater, more accomplished (as of today): Venus

Both subject to change. ;)

Aaron.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:10 AM
If serena won this year? would Venus still be greater?

1jackson2001
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM
If serena won this year? would Venus still be greater?
Yes as Venus would still have the better record.