PDA

View Full Version : Someone help the WTA Tour.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
SOMEONE. ANYBODY!!!!!!! :sad:

earthcrystal
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Oh please. It's SOOOO fine. Deep, interesting, diverse...FINE.

nfl46
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Lol. I'll say that if anyone wins but Serena or Kim.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, Kim is not really helping at the moment...

And if Serena falters later... imagine the semis lineup.... :tape:

Polikarpov
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Hingis and Kournikova are saving this tournament ya'll!

Ferg
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Step.

Coke Zero
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM

This.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Typical Williams fan :rolleyes: people are all happy for Schiavone when he wins then someone that is actually good for the tour and it's all "WTA is finished" :tape::weirdo:. If Clijsters and Swilliams lose, then we have some issues, but if Clijsters plays Swilliams in the finals then it is just fine :rolleyes:.

IF.

Clijsters is down 1-4 in the third set :help:

Serena has struggled with Na before.

Jajaloo
If Kim doesn't win the Championship, JJ will be #2 ;) She'll save the tour (eventually).

olympus28
Serena will save the tour as usual

it-girl
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I feel like I am going to hurl right now I am so disgusted.

mure
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
the tour was saved by not having the same final line up for the 100th time.

SymphonyX
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM

This.

Now someone just needs to sell Hingis-Kournikova merchandise on the grounds of SW19.

doktor
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
help please

HippityHop
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Roddick loses and it proves how deep the men are. Venus loses and it's the death of the WTA? :lol:

black_fire
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Dumb post.

Shut up and get over it. Pironkova was just better today :wavey:

ptkten
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Well, Serena has made a habit of saving the tour so hopefully she does again.

I'm slowly starting to watch mens tennis more right now. I don't mind the occasional upset, but it takes away the meaning and importance of big wins and major titles if it seems like anyone can win them. This is not because I'm a Venus fan, I recognize she's at the latter stages of her career and will be gone soon, but it seems like there is no one that will be left to step up and win these big titles when her and Serena are gone and we will just have random 80 ranked players winning Wimbledon.

SymphonyX
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Dumb post.

It's easy to look good when a 7 time grand slam champion on the other side of the net is playing badly.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Roddick loses and it proves how deep the men are. Venus loses and it's the death of the WTA? :lol:

I think we all know the women on the WTA lose matches rather than win them, most of the time.

Lu outplayed Roddick. Pironkova played a smart game and waited for the errors but if Venus served somewaht decently she would have scraped through.

SVK
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I don´t care what other people says, I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:inlove::inlove:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
ok the top players are all playing pretty shit, only them can make themselves play better

i think its nice to see lower ranked players doing well. zvonareva is former top 5 so its hardly shock of the year. venus put in another shocker which isnt surprising either

it aint that bad, better than fed v djokovic and murray v nadal again

Matt01
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah, someone please help that troll.

doni1212
If Kim doesn't win the Championship, JJ will be #2 ;) She'll save the tour (eventually).

That makes me physically sick.

lestat111

:worship: :worship:

Smoothstuff
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The Serena-Zvonareva final will actually be pretty good :shrug:

pku
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Li Na is coming to help

Bijoux0021
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
SOMEONE. ANYBODY!!!!!!! :sad:
Well, now it's up to Serena to save this Wimbledon from becoming like the French Open.

lestat111
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Lu outplayed Roddick. Pironkova played a smart game and waited for the errors but if Venus served somewaht decently she would have scraped through.

outplayed=smart play. get over it.

darrinbaker00
I think we all know the women on the WTA lose matches rather than win them, most of the time.

I hate to break this to you, but Pironkova outplayed Venus. I know that to be true because I clearly heard the chair umpire say, "Game, set, match, Pironkova."

Dave.
So the tour needs help because we're not going to see the same players win for the umpteenth time?

And ITA with the poster who brought up the double standards, it's disgusting.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
The Tour is saved

we're not gonna see an All Williams Final

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Well when you put it that way Elena's absence is okay.

SUPER
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM

This.

WTA is diying not because of the latest crappy later-rounds line-ups, but because those players won with average-good tennis, and no fkn ""top player"" was able to produce a better one.

I wish there were statistics about the amount of super tennis produced in each tournament. The so called golden years (98-03) would sooo beat these later years, and so would the ATP tour.

This is why I think wta is dying, not because 30yo Venus or mommy KC lost today.

BTW, kudos to Vera for playing real tennis.

Langers
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
It's really not. I like seeing upsets as much as the next person but Pironkova potentially in a Wimbledon final?

Don't get me wrong she is a talent, but to be within reach of a Wimbledon final sums up how much the tour is in serious trouble.

tennisIlove09
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
If Serena loses :help:

SVK
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
If Serena loses :inlove:

That´s right:p:hug:

eck
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe that's why WTA wants us to look for a hero :sobbing:

serenus_2k8
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:19 PM
The Women dont deserve the same pay as the men. They are lazier, mentally weaker and less talented. :wavey:

treufreund
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:19 PM
The Tour is saved

1 down, 1 to go ;)

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
good thing Serena and Venus arent playing doubles today... I can only imagine the looks Serena would be sending Venus' way...

Sammy Stones
this.

Dumb post.

I don´t care what other people says, I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:inlove::inlove:

So the tour needs help because we're not going to see the same players win for the umpteenth time?

And ITA with the poster who brought up the double standards, it's disgusting.

The Tour is saved

Timariot

Hear hear!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM

exactly :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
1 down, 1 to go ;)

now both belgians are down :)

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
It's you who needs help, badly. Both Venus and Kim lost to better players today.

Aaron.
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Serena vs Na has potential

Otlichno
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
:yawn: Why am I not surprised you made a thread like this.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well, Serena has made a habit of saving the tour so hopefully she does again.

I'm slowly starting to watch mens tennis more right now. I don't mind the occasional upset, but it takes away the meaning and importance of big wins and major titles if it seems like anyone can win them. This is not because I'm a Venus fan, I recognize she's at the latter stages of her career and will be gone soon, but it seems like there is no one that will be left to step up and win these big titles when her and Serena are gone and we will just have random 80 ranked players winning Wimbledon.

I said it before and I'll say it again. When people around here said that being #1 was no big thing and slams were important, I predicted a tour where anyone could be #1 would soon be a tour where anyone could win a slam.

These runs at slams don't show depth or quality--they show inconsistency. Quality players are able to show some sort of form from one tournament to the next, one year to the next, not just over a week or two. By the same token, a #1 ought to be able to win a damn slam.

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
It's you who needs help, badly. Both Venus and Kim lost to better players today.

no they lost to lesser plays, who were playing better more consistent tennis in said matches, but they cant play to as high a standard as venus or kim.

TZVETI83
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Pironkova is just 22 years old, she has her whole career infront of her. She will get a lot of sponsors after this tourney, money, confidence, etc. Look at players like Amélie Mauresmo, Novotna(had her first breaktrough at a slam at 22), Jankovic(also made her first semi at almost 22 years old), Coetzer, Tauziat, etc. Different players develop at different ages. How are we to know that Pironkova is not a future top player. Confidence goes a long way and with some money and a good team behind her who knows how far she can go.

debby
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
no they lost to lesser plays, who were playing better more consistent tennis in said matches, but they cant play to as high a standard as venus or kim.

Today Pironkova and Zvonareva were better than both Venus and Kim. We don't care if they can play to as high a standard as V&K because today, it doesn't matter.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Davenport should make a singles comeback.

lestat111
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM

we dont need another old woman on court....

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I think she will heavily consider it after this hot mess of a tournament and the french. Hingis as well....

AcesHigh
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I think she will heavily consider it after this hot mess of a tournament and the french. Hingis as well....

I know. Hingis can complete her collection and Lindsay.. doubt she can add any more slams but definitely get to top five and add to her win and title count.

omg, the WTA is in such a pathetic state :sad: I'm starting to miss Dinara.

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Today Pironkova and Zvonareva were better than both Venus and Kim. We don't care if they can play to as high a standard as V&K because today, it doesn't matter.

but it will matter when it gets to a final of a slam vs serena. the tour doesn't need another 2009 oz open final.

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I know. Hingis can complete her collection and Lindsay.. doubt she can add any more slams but definitely get to top five and add to her win and title count.

We need a savior not another head case.....

HippityHop
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
This has got to be the most bitching board in cyberspace. You all bitch if the top two seeds make the final and you bitch if they don't. Why bother watching the WTA if all you do is bitch? :fiery:

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM

you know things are bad when people are posting things like this lol :p

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
ITA with the thread title. :help:

ClijstersGOAT

I said better players today. :wavey:

:yeah:

Julian
Kvitova did well for herself beating Azarenka (who is a headcase anyway and has had dismal results due to injury) and Wozniacki (who's game has no chance on grass)

A big chance for Stosur to make another breakthrough, if she had beaten Kanepi in that 1st round I for sure would have seen her reach the semi's..but what the hell can you do.

As for Vera, come on she a great game I am finally happy to see her go far in a GS.

And as for Pironkova, I actually had a feeling she would beat Venus today as she did before, her game just matches up well with Venus.

So there you go, blame the top players for not taking their opportunity, sometimes its just the luck of the draw, and really you just need the mentality to win these days..

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
This has got to be the most bitching board in cyberspace. You all bitch if the top two seeds make the final and you bitch if they don't. Why bother watching the WTA if all you do is bitch? :fiery:

Bitching is amaze:drool:. Y'all should try it sometime.

Sammy's right though. We are on a collision course for a whitewash final whenif Serena makes it as I really can't see either Pironkova/Zvonareva staving off the nerves, let alone creating new dimensions to their games by Saturday.

KimandJu
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM

It will have the same winner though! No doubt in my mind. Serena's playing very very impressive this tournament. And with Justine, Kim and Venus all playing like a steaming pile of sh*t Serena has a lot of slams to win yet!!!

Smithee
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
If some of the women who were upsetting in the Slams (Stosur, Schiavone, Pironkova, etc.) played high-quality throughout the year I think this would be less of an issue, but many, many times that player can't maintain that consistency like a Venus, Serena, Maria, Kim, etc. can - that's why the WTA is a mess right now.

Once Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine, and Maria are out of the picture/retire, the WTA is going to be even more of a hot mess and a free-for-all. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
If some of the women who were upsetting in the Slams (Stosur, Schiavone, Pironkova, etc.) played high-quality throughout the year I think this would be less of an issue, but many, many times that player can't maintain that consistency like a Venus, Serena, Maria, Kim, etc. can - that's why the WTA is a mess right now.

Once Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine, and Maria are out of the picture/retire, the WTA is going to be even more of a hot mess and a free-for-all. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective.
http://www.dubtunes.com/dub/2009/02/22/Michael_jackson_bad_cd_cover_1987_cdda.jpg

Sammy Stones
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM

maybe you haven't heard but sam is #1 in the year to date rankings. is that not enough consistency for you?

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
maybe you haven't heard but sam is #1 in the year to date rankings. is that not enough consistency for you?

she wont be after wimbledon.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM
you mean like Li just did
3 DF's at 40-0 5-5

thats a big help isnt it

danieln1
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Don´t worry, Serena will save the tour winning this tournament, whoever she faces in the final, it will lose something like 6-2 6-4

Smithee
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM

And her results outside of the clay court season this year? Let's see how she does in the summer hardcourt season.

KimandJu
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM

In my perspective it's a bad thing. The sport needs some great rivalries between a few top players (like the WS and the Belgians during the last five to ten years). Right now Serena is alone at the top, far above her sister and the Beglians playing like crap.

Credit to the other girls making their most of the shitty play of some of the older top players. But all those one-time runs don't make for a very interesting sport anymore I think.

KimandJu
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM

In my perspective it's a bad thing. The sport needs some great rivalries between a few top players (like the WS and the Belgians during the last five to ten years). Right now Serena is alone at the top, far above her sister and the Beglians playing like crap.

Credit to the other girls making their most of the shitty play of some of the older top players. But all those one-time runs don't make for a very interesting sport anymore I think.

TZVETI83
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Tzveti Pironkova is a player who has taken most of the top players to three sets, she has 5/6 wins over the top players. She is just 22 and has struggled financially to breaktrough, she has not had any help outside of her family. Who are any of you to say that she wont ever do anything again. After this tourney, she will get a lot of confidence, financial help, sponsors, and a better team of professionals around her. She is only 22. Novotna, Tauziat, Coetzer, Mauresmo, even to some degree Jankovic were all late bloomers.

mboyle
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Depth is usually a made up word to excuse the lack of talent at the top of a sport at a given period of time.

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Depth is usually a made up word to excuse the lack of talent at the top of a sport at a given period of time.

:lol: so true.... depth= propoganda....

mboyle
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Tzveti Pironkova is a player who has taken most of the top players to three sets, she has 5/6 wins over the top players. She is just 22 and has struggled financially to breaktrough, she has not had any help outside of her family. Who are any of you to say that she wont ever do anything again. After this tourney, she will get a lot of confidence, financial help, sponsors, and a better team of professionals around her. She is only 22. Novotna, Tauziat, Coetzer, Mauresmo, even to some degree Jankovic were all late bloomers.
I don't begrudge her for winning, at all. I think it is pathetic that Maria Sharapova has played so badly over the past year that, despite playing a full schedule, she was the 16th seed. I think what has happened to Ana Ivanovic is a travesty. I think the way Kim played today was really disappointing. I think Justine's idea that she has to hit a winner every point is kind of dumb.
Basically, it's great that various players have taken advantage of top players' lapses. But what is bad for the tour is when it's a different player every week: Sam Stosur in Charleston, the girl from Spain at Rome, Aravane Rezai at Madrid, Dulgheru at Warsaw, Schiavone at Roland Garros, the Russian girl at Eastbourne...
One hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder...
Kim Clijsters went a few years at the beginning of this decade without losing to a player ranked outside the top 20 or 30. We used to get mad at her because she couldn't beat enough fellow top players. Now, she can't even keep a forehand in court against Vera Zvonareva.
I don't know what the problem is. I'm tempted to say it's too much money, but Kobe Bryant, as much as I dislike him, makes way more money than Clijsters and brings his A game night after night. Federer is the same way. Agassi at age 35 didn't have as many losses as the "top" WTA players today.

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Please tell me you were being sarcastic with that post. As a Duke student, you get to see some very talented young ladies play on a regular basis, and you know just as well as I do that any of those talented young ladies would be lucky to take a set off Pironkova.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM

It wasn't the who, it was the how. I found both of this mornings (US time) matches boring UE-fests. Pironkova had flashes of skill and strategy, but spent much of the match playing negative tennis.

Now, I'd rather watch bad tennis than most other sports. But that doesn't mean I rather watch bad tennis than good tennis. Count me among those who finds himself enjoying the ATP a lot more right now.

I'm too hardcore a WTA fan to bail--just as I didn't bail on the ATP back in the early '90s when I thought it was a snoozefest--but as I recall the ATP actually made some changes. The WTA leadership acts like there's no problem.

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I don't begrudge her for winning, at all. I think it is pathetic that Maria Sharapova has played so badly over the past year that, despite playing a full schedule, she was the 16th seed. I think what has happened to Ana Ivanovic is a travesty. I think the way Kim played today was really disappointing. I think Justine's idea that she has to hit a winner every point is kind of dumb.
Basically, it's great that various players have taken advantage of top players' lapses. But what is bad for the tour is when it's a different player every week: Sam Stosur in Charleston, the girl from Spain at Rome, Aravane Rezai at Madrid, Dulgheru at Warsaw, Schiavone at Roland Garros, the Russian girl at Eastbourne...
One hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder, one hit wonder...
Kim Clijsters went a few years at the beginning of this decade without losing to a player ranked outside the top 20 or 30. We used to get mad at her because she couldn't beat enough fellow top players. Now, she can't even keep a forehand in court against Vera Zvonareva.
I don't know what the problem is. I'm tempted to say it's too much money, but Kobe Bryant, as much as I dislike him, makes way more money than Clijsters and brings his A game night after night. Federer is the same way. Agassi at age 35 didn't have as many losses as the "top" WTA players today.

Carlos must be kicking himself for telling Justine to go for broke this tournament....

Dominic
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Wether ppl want to admit it or not, having nobodies in semis and finals is REALLY bad for the wta.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
It wasn't the who, it was the how. I found both of this mornings (US time) matches boring UE-fests. Pironkova had flashes of skill and strategy, but spent much of the match playing negative tennis.

Now, I'd rather watch bad tennis than most other sports. But that doesn't mean I rather watch bad tennis than good tennis. Count me among those who finds himself enjoying the ATP a lot more right now.

I'm too hardcore a WTA fan to bail--just as I didn't bail on the ATP back in the early '90s when I thought it was a snoozefest--but as I recall the ATP actually made some changes. The WTA leadership acts like there's no problem.

I didn't watch Venus-Pironkova, but Kim-Vera wasn't a bad match. First 2 sets were very good in fact, until the last game and Vera kept her good level in the 3rd. Surely your judgement must be clouded by your sadness and Elena's missed oportunity. :)
But to be honest I think Zvonareva played better today than Elena has been playing for quite a long time.

thrust
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Venus is 30 YO. It is not a good sign if a 30 old female tennis player is the second ranked player in the world. It is NOT good for the WTA if one player is nearly totally dominant in the Slams. Venus had her day, get used to it! She is still a great player, but unlikely to win more Slams. She was beaten today by a younger player, who played a very clever game making Venus run and change her hitting speed. Clever play overcane ball bashing, a rarity these days.

Freakan
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Tsveti did help WTA in a big way :yeah:

spiceboy
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Tsveti did help WTA in a big way :yeah:

:worship:

SVK
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
But Li didn´t help very much:rolleyes:

Serendy Willick
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
You have got to be smoking some trees if you think that was Venus best against Pironkova today.

Coke Zero
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't think Pironkova winning is good for the WTA because I just don't see her ever becoming a top player. I enjoy nothing more than when a future elite player, slam winner makes her breakthrough but I just don't see Pironkova going on with it. She's not even that young.

Seriously, who is going to tune in to watch the Wimbledon SF's between Kanepi-Serena and Pironkova-Zvonareva? How many new fans will this bring to the tour?

Probably a large chunk of the Estonian and Bulgarian markets but that's it.

starin
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
one hit wonders don't help the tour. Variety becomes boring when that's all you see. You need consistent top players so you can have a consistent storyline, someone to root for or against. If in every tournament anyone can and does win it just becomes boring. A cinderella story stops being a cindereally story when it happens every tournament and every slam.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Venus is 30 YO. It is not a good sign if a 30 old female tennis player is the second ranked player in the world. It is NOT good for the WTA if one player is nearly totally dominant in the Slams. Venus had her day, get used to it! She is still a great player, but unlikely to win more Slams. She was beaten today by a younger player, who played a very clever game making Venus run and change her hitting speed. Clever play overcane ball bashing, a rarity these days.

so i take it you didn't like martina nav/evert/graf winning a lot then...especially when nav was winning until well into her 30s....bs argument

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Have no fear, the saviour is here.......SERENA:worship:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
so i take it you didn't like martina nav/evert/graf winning a lot then...especially when nav was winning until well into her 30s....bs argument

Not BS at all. Tennis is now more professional, competetive and, most importantly, physically demanding, than it was in the 70s, 80s. Venus is well past her prime.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I didn't watch Venus-Pironkova, but Kim-Vera wasn't a bad match. First 2 sets were very good in fact, until the last game and Vera kept her good level in the 3rd. Surely your judgement must be clouded by your sadness and Elena's missed oportunity. :)
But to be honest I think Zvonareva played better today than Elena has been playing for quite a long time.

My judgment is always clouded by my Dementheadedness.

In this case, I have to also say ESPN was jumping back and forth between matches (mostly showing Venus) so I missed much of the Kim/Bepa match, but what I saw was nothing special. However, you may have seen more of it and your impression may be more correct.

Certainly, of the surprise semifinalist, Bepa has the strongest track record and her winning her--while hard for me to stomach as a Lena fan, I admit--would be at least somewhat in keeping with her status as a multiple time quarter/semifinalist at majors and top-tier events and former Top 10 player.

However, my same song, verse 8,000, is still valid I think. The WTA has already seen its ranking system become utterly devalued. There are a number of trends that lead me to think the same thing is in danger of happening to the slams, and that is NOT good for tennis. I also personally think a lot of these issues are under the WTA's control and have to do with scheduling, the structure of the tour, enforcement, etc.

I dunno. Maybe some of it has something to do with the work ethic of today's youngsters and other factors outside the WTA's control. But I have to say about once a month I go out and officiate and see dozens of young girls who are busting their asses to move up the ranks and get better. (I see lots of girls who are out there for fun, and because they like the outfits, and because Mom and Dad make them, too, believe me).

I'm not just pining for the good old days of Chris and Martina, much as I enjoyed them. I'd love to see a merry-go-round at #1 and a different winner at every major if it was because the women were playing lights-out, make-me-forget-to-breathe tennis. But I don't think anyone can honestly claim that's what's happening.

Except when Lena won the Olympics, of course.;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Not BS at all. Tennis is now more professional, competetive and, most importantly, physically demanding, than it was in the 70s, 80s. Venus is well past her prime.

really? how about martina playing in 2004(?) and winning doubles in her 50s(?)

doubles is also more demanding and yet she could do it...i call bs on bs...

when those players were winning a lot it wasn't a problem, especially since they were winning everything

in a day where their training methods were equivalent to the play required then playing into your 30s is still the same

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:48 PM
My judgment is always clouded by my Dementheadedness.

In this case, I have to also say ESPN was jumping back and forth between matches (mostly showing Venus) so I missed much of the Kim/Bepa match, but what I saw was nothing special. However, you may have seen more of it and your impression may be more correct.

Certainly, of the surprise semifinalist, Bepa has the strongest track record and her winning her--while hard for me to stomach as a Lena fan, I admit--would be at least somewhat in keeping with her status as a multiple time quarter/semifinalist at majors and top-tier events and former Top 10 player.

However, my same song, verse 8,000, is still valid I think. The WTA has already seen its ranking system become utterly devalued. There are a number of trends that lead me to think the same thing is in danger of happening to the slams, and that is NOT good for tennis. I also personally think a lot of these issues are under the WTA's control and have to do with scheduling, the structure of the tour, enforcement, etc.

I dunno. Maybe some of it has something to do with the work ethic of today's youngsters and other factors outside the WTA's control. But I have to say about once a month I go out and officiate and see dozens of young girls who are busting their asses to move up the ranks and get better. (I see lots of girls who are out there for fun, and because they like the outfits, and because Mom and Dad make them, too, believe me).

I'm not just pining for the good old days of Chris and Martina, much as I enjoyed them. I'd love to see a merry-go-round at #1 and a different winner at every major if it was because the women were playing lights-out, make-me-forget-to-breathe tennis. But I don't think anyone can honestly claim that's what's happening.

Except when Lena won the Olympics, of course.;)

she hit a lot of lucky shots

ViennaCalling
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I´m fucking love the upsets at the French Open and Wimbledon :inlove:

It´s so hard to predict the outcome of nearly all matches - love it :hearts:

Gdsimmons
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Have no fear, the saviour is here.......SERENA:worship:

So true:worship::worship:

tennis-insomniac
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
one word- concentration

freeandlonely
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm really shocked with the semi line-up.

rnwerner
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
The main problem (if you search for a problem) are the surfaces!

Most of the women just don't know how to play on grass.

Last year, there were 3 players (serena, elena, venus) who were playing at their own league.
And now with the absence of elena and dinara and with the relatively poor performance of venus, only serena is left.

But Pironkova, Kanepi and Kvitova are not SENSATIONS or SURPRISES without any logical reason.
All of them are 1.80 m or taller,
all of them have a good and big serve,
all of them have no results on grass... so far!

But as Pironkova or Kanepi said - they could not handle the surface "grass" in the last years and now they know how to handle it. All of them played a very good tournament and noone had a very easy draw (like Groth at FO and WI).

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
really? how about martina playing in 2004(?) and winning doubles in her 50s(?)

doubles is also more demanding and yet she could do it...i call bs on bs...

when those players were winning a lot it wasn't a problem, especially since they were winning everything

in a day where their training methods were equivalent to the play required then playing into your 30s is still the same

1) don't compare singles to doubles :o
2) Martina won her last doubles (non mixed) GS in 1990,
3) Martina is the arguable GOAT

LUVMIRZA
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
We have the f*king allmighty Serena Williams still in the draw...dont worry.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
she hit a lot of lucky shots

You mean she executed myMommy Vera's gameplan to perfection!

Olórin
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Serena will save the tour as usual

This.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
1) don't compare singles to doubles :o
2) Martina won her last doubles (non mixed) GS in 1990,
3) Martina is the arguable GOAT

she was in her 50s :lol: even for doubles that is amazing...and i notice you still have no response for nav winning into her 30s while you argue vinas is past her prime physically NOW turning 30 :lol:

AND there is no response to nav/graf/evert etc winning everything being bad for the tour

this forum and it's double standards :lol:

new-york
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Someone clone Serena.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
she was in her 50s :lol: even for doubles that is amazing...and i notice you still have no response for nav winning into her 30s while you argue vinas is past her prime physically NOW turning 30 :lol:

AND there is no response to nav/graf/evert etc winning everything being bad for the tour

this forum and it's double standards :lol:

Who was in her 50s ? Like I said Navratilova won her last doubles GS in 1990, she was 33.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Who was in her 50s ? Like I said Navratilova won her last doubles GS in 1990, she was 33.

so in 2004 or somewhere abouts when she won a mixed doubles slam while NEARING 50 is that not past her physical peak? they don't just hit and giggle in mixed doubles and martina was aiming for a record :lol:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
so in 2004 or somewhere abouts when she won a mixed doubles slam while NEARING 50 is that not past her physical peak? they don't just hit and giggle in mixed doubles and martina was aiming for a record :lol:

Were are talking about singles here. You seriously want to compare singles to mixed doubles ? :help:
Martina was playing in pair with top male doubles players and Venus has to do everything on her own. Besides in doubles the most important thing is serve and volley. Martina is the greatest volleyer ever and you don't loose your touch with age. She is also one of the best servers. Doubles matches are shorter, so stamina is not the deciding factor. And if you think that competitiveness in mixed is the same as in singles, you are seriously dellusional.

What exactly is your point here ?

My point is that Venus loosing today is a good thing for the WTA, because:

a) she was playing crap, didn't deserve to win
b) it's good that the young players are able to beat the older, experienced, top players because it prooves, that not all of them are terrible chokers, mental midgets and will be able to take their place at the top in the future

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
so they aren't playing hit and giggle and it's not one match she has to play nearing 50...so doubles or not she's out playing tennis nearing 50...doesn't that look bad for the singles players who are involved in mixed doubles to be getting beat by a nearing 50 woman??

Matt01
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM

This.

It's not like she was winning the big titles left and right at her last comeback. Of course that she played with top player like Petrova and Kuznetsova helped, too.

TennisFan66
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
My fave(s) didn't win so there is something wrong with the WTA tour. Someone needs to 'save' it :yawn: //

Lets throw in 'the talented player lost' moan and whine ..

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
so they aren't playing hit and giggle and it's not one match she has to play nearing 50...so doubles or not she's out playing tennis nearing 50...doesn't that look bad for the singles players who are involved in mixed doubles to be getting beat by a nearing 50 woman??

Like I said, she was playing in pair with top male doubles players, Bob Bryan and Leander Paes to be specific, and they did most of the job. Besides, she was aiming for records, as you said yourself, so she was obviously very competetive. She wasn't playing singles in those tournaments, not even doubles IIRC so she was 100% commited to mixed. Singles players who play also mixed play it mostly for practice (serve and volley) and yes, for fun. They are obviously not giving their 100% in mixed because they don't want to risk injury or be tired for singles.

Again, what is your point ? Read my previous post, I edited it.

poulao
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:22 PM
What a pathetic whine thread. :sobbing:

What about giving this new girls a chance. :cheer:

Gilardino
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Tsveti is pretty hella, does she?)

Optima
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Goddamn. If only Martina would get her head together, were serious about competing again, she could absolutely win Roland Garros :o :sad:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
EDIT :tape: :o

Optima
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hingis never won RG :o

I...know?

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I...know?

Sorry, I read your post wrong :tape: :o

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
What about giving this new girls a chance. :cheer:
Who?

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Who?

Pironkova and Kvitova for example.

xan
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:57 PM
It's really not. I like seeing upsets as much as the next person but Pironkova potentially in a Wimbledon final?

Don't get me wrong she is a talent, but to be within reach of a Wimbledon final sums up how much the tour is in serious trouble.

The laughingly-named "seeding-committee" is partially responsible - hence the in form players nearly all in the same quarter.

narutos
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Too bad Sharapova and Serena were in the same part of the draw, it could have been another great final between them I guess we will have to wait US Open.

BluSthil
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
What we need is a couple or three 17 or 18 year old girls to come along with raw talent, nerve, and good coaches and fire up the WTA.

Does anyone know of such talent waiting in the wings ?

Ciarán
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Pironkova, Kvitova & Zvonareva all played amazing and deserved to win. What's your problem?

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Pironkova, Kvitova & Zvonareva all played amazing and deserved to win. What's your problem?People have a problem when someone they dont root for gets some impressive wins

GeeTee
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Everytime a Williams sister doesn't live up to her seeding, it's 'the end of the WTA'..

Everytime someone's favourite doesn't make it through as far as their fans want, it's the fault of the draw - or the seeding committee - or the fact that they were put on an outside court or.......<insert excuse here>.

The only place you see more predictable comments than in a Williams sister press conference is in TF..

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
:rolleyes: @ those saying seeding should be changed.

I don't see why when you don't play tournys to get rank points why you suddenly deserve a high seeding. Henin and Maria did nothing to deserve a higher seed spot.

Look at Vera her seeding is artifically low due to all the rank points she lost and she still made SFs beating Kim, Wickmayer and JJ who were all seeded higher.

Good players shouldn't need a seeding to win.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
People have a problem when someone they dont root for gets some impressive wins

Most people who are bitchin' in this thread are WS fans, who can't get over the fact, that Venus will no longer be No. 2. What has Venus done significant this year ? She embarassed herself in Miami and again embarassed herself today.

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Venus was having a good year, but the finalist points in a slam kept her at 2.
Same for Caro, she has finalist points coming off in NY.

I like the mix of new faces. On hardcourt, will Fran play well? Pironkova, Kvitova? Vera?

How can anyone tell what a good draw is? They are a jumble of players who are capable of top 10 tennis in a given week

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Someone clone Serena.

I've often said the same thing about Elena Dementieva, but for reasons that have nothing to do with tennis.

Matt01
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Everytime a Williams sister doesn't live up to her seeding, it's 'the end of the WTA'..

Everytime someone's favourite doesn't make it through as far as their fans want, it's the fault of the draw - or the seeding committee - or the fact that they were put on an outside court or.......<insert excuse here>.

The only place you see more predictable comments than in a Williams sister press conference is in TF..

:hehehe:

Slutati
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Golovin tried to warn you all, but y'all were having none of it. It's too late now.

Diesel
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Pironkova, Kvitova & Zvonareva all played amazing and deserved to win. What's your problem?

They're not the names the whiners want.

Andy.
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Im sorry but big names bring excitement and viewers. The interest in this tournament which had real potential a few days ago has definitly taken a tumble.

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Reetards cant get an all Williams final. Big deal.

Otlichno
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Im sorry but big names bring excitement and viewers. The interest in this tournament which had real potential a few days ago has definitly taken a tumble.

Only the people who are not that interested in tennis or are only simply casual fans can say that.

For us, what matters or what should matter is quality of play. And these players causing all these big upsets have played exceptionally well. Maybe an all Williams final could bring more recognition to tennis. But as far as I'm concerned I don't watch tennis hoping it will get more recognition. I watch tennis because I enjoy watching it, particularly when a player is playing well and these players causing these upsets have been playing great tennis.

JadeFox
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:46 AM

But here's the flaw in that argument: The top players weren't always big names themselves. There was a time when they caused a few upsets themselves.

Kvitova and Pironkova are still young enough to build on these good results. And Vera was ranked in the top 5 just last year. Only time will tell about the two youngsters of course but I think sometimes people get too obsessed with the hype machine and image of the WTA. A final between two big stars of the tour doesn't necessarily means it's going to be high quality.

And that's WTA truly needs: good solid matches. There was a good crowd for Petra and Kai's match today and they were very much into because it was so close.

meyerpl
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Oh please. It's SOOOO fine. Deep, interesting, diverse...FINE.Absolutely. Some people have trouble accepting change. At my age, I could still be moaning that women's tennis is crap because Chrissie and Martina aren't battling it out anymore. Women's tenis is as good or better than it's ever been. "Deep, interesting and diverse." Well put.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:00 AM
When you say, what the "WTA truly needs", what do you mean?
To make money? To get casual fans?
The WTA can use a Mirza-Li slam final.Those are very well populated markets, with lots of potential new sponsorships.
Or Robson winning Wimbledon

Its a global sport. New faces can become stars in parts of the world that didnt follow womens tennis

KournikovaFan91
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Only Venus, Serena, Maria, and Kournikova are really household names for people who's interest would suddenly die off just based on these results. Like none of my friends who are non tennis fans have a clue who Henin or Clijsters are.

Real fans and even fans who aren't major fans but have a general interest in tennis will still watch. Only fairweather fans care about big names.

Also if figures are down in the US that is its own problem because since the Williams sisters not a single good player has been produced there and their good men are just one dimensional big servers.

Craig.
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM

Perfect post.

davidmario
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I think the current state of WTA is just great! It is so exciting to never know who will show up in the latter stages of a tournament and the fact that anybody can win resembles a certain diversity. That diversity stands for quality and for me the women's tour is so much better than the men's tour coz No.82 has real chances against the No.2 or a No.62 can hit the No.3 off the court within 45 minutes.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Has anyone won more than 2 titles this year?
Its very spread out.
Serena usually only gets her best results at majors, and after Wimbledon, there are several big money, big points tournaments that arent majors.

So we probably will have a different group of winners this summer and fall.

Donny
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Only Venus, Serena, Maria, and Kournikova are really household names for people who's interest would suddenly die off just based on these results. Like none of my friends who are non tennis fans have a clue who Henin or Clijsters are.

Real fans and even fans who aren't major fans but have a general interest in tennis will still watch. Only fairweather fans care about big names.

Also if figures are down in the US that is its own problem because since the Williams sisters not a single good player has been produced there and their good men are just one dimensional big servers.

Let me get this straight: You defend Kvitova being in the semis of Wimbledon, then call Roddick one dimensional? What "dimensions' does Kvitova" have?

Donny
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM

Perfect post.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Kvitova couldn't serve her way out of trouble like every single giant sized American does.

She actually had to hit a groundstroke that immediatly gives her more dimensions than big serving American men.

meyerpl
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Has anyone won more than 2 titles this year?
Its very spread out.
Serena usually only gets her best results at majors, and after Wimbledon, there are several big money, big points tournaments that arent majors.

So we probably will have a different group of winners this summer and fall.Sure. It comes with greater parity among players and greater depth of talent.

Just like the NFL, which has instituted parity by design, I find it more interesting not watching the same four players/teams win over and over and over again.:)

égalité
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:59 AM

this

Matt01
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Let me get this straight: You defend Kvitova being in the semis of Wimbledon, then call Roddick one dimensional? What "dimensions' does Kvitova" have?

A Forehand? :lol:

Donny
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Sure. It comes with greater parity among players and greater depth of talent.

Just like the NFL, which has instituted parity by design, I find it more interesting not watching the same four players/teams win over and over and over again.:)

Actually, five teams in the NFL have won nearly half of all Super Bowls played. Around half of all teams in the league have never won one.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Thats what happens in the WTA. Serena, Justine and Venus have won 26, probably 27 in a few days, of about 40

I dont think it matters if Fran wins or Serena, people want close, tense matches. Just like they dont want Super Bowl blowouts

tanman
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Are if she would hire a proper coach and teach her the game besides relying on her serve to bail her out every match you might not see upsets like this. I guess no one ever taught her the midcourt game because she was always approaching crosscourt which is a no no coming in.

HippityHop
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Are if she would hire a proper coach and teach her the game besides relying on her serve to bail her out every match you might not see upsets like this. I guess no one ever taught her the midcourt game because she was always approaching crosscourt which is a no no coming in.

Maybe. But it's been good enough to get her 7 majors. I think that's more than any active woman except Serena and Justine.

meyerpl
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Actually, five teams in the NFL have won nearly half of all Super Bowls played. Around half of all teams in the league have never won one.You're smart enough to get my point.......I think. Twenty years ago, half the teams in the NFL had virtually no chance of winning a Super Bowl because they couldn't spend money like the Cowboys and 49ers. Today, it's possible for any team in the league.

Twenty years ago, there were a small handful of women with a decent shot at winning a major; today, there are many.

It's a fact. You can pick at it for your own amusement if you like.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I cant understand why people keep hollerin "save the tour" I mean....damn lol what are ya'll talkin about and what more do you need???? The William Sisters are playing, both belgiums, most of the RUssians are still around, who the hell needs to come back so that this tour can be saved?!?! As soon as their favorite player loose the tour is in jeapordy.....I will some of ya'll would just HUSH! Some people are never satisfied...some of ya'll are getting worse than Americans.....LOL..an American started this thread didn't they? (joke)

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Well there comes a time when the big names start getting older and new names get created.
Maybe in two, three years both Kvitova and Pironkova will be big names. Not every player can make it big at 18.