PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon QF: T. Pironkova def. (2) V. Williams 6-2 6-3

Pages : 1 [2]

the cat
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
What a great win for Tsvetana Pironkova over Venus Williams. Tsvetana winning was a major surprise. But her routining Venus 6-2 6-3 was an even bigger susprise. :eek:

Dandy_Warhol
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
:lol:

after Ju left, i was rooting for her, babe :sobbing:

TZVETI83
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Q. You said on your way off court you hoped it would be mentioned on the news back home. How will this be taken back there?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, I received quite a few phone calls. Everyone was so happy and excited. Honestly, I think no one expected me to play semifinal in Wimbledon and to beat Venus Williams like that.

So, yeah.

Q. Did you expect yourself to play a semifinal at Wimbledon?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: If I have to be honest, no. Coming here, I really just wanted to play a good game, to maybe win or two rounds.

But semifinal looked to me very far.

Q. How would you describe what your strategy was against Venus and how you executed it?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, I didn't have a particular strategy against her. I just tried to play my game, which is like move her as much as possible. I tried to put my first serve as much as I could in the court.

Yeah, I think I also did a very good defense.

Q. What surprised you about this match?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, I cannot say what surprised me. But I think it was quicker than I thought. Winning 6‑2, 6‑3, it was the biggest surprise for me. I expected like a longer match.

Q. How many grass courts do you have in Bulgaria?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: We have none actually.

Q. You have no grass courts?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: No.

Q. So when was the first occasion in your career you started playing on grass?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: I'm not sure which year it was. I think it was five years ago here at Wimbledon at the qualifyings. I played at Roehampton then. Back then, I thought, Wow, it's impossible. How can I play on this surface?

But with every match that I play on grass I feel better and better.

Q. Did you feel that Venus was losing her way a bit as the match went on? Towards the end she was making more errors.

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah, maybe. Yeah, I did. I really pushed her a lot. I think, yeah, in the beginning she started very strong, but then I guess I resisted.

In a tennis match, you can never say what happens. You just have to keep playing and playing and see the final result.

Q. She grabbed her back early in the match. The pace of her serve seemed to fall off a little after that. How much did you notice that?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Actually, I haven't noticed that.

Q. Was her serve what you expected as far as the speed?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah. I mean, she has the fastest serve. I haven't played against someone who has a faster serve than her. Maybe her first‑serve percentage wasn't very good, I guess. And, yeah.

Q. Of course the wonderful Maleeva sisters are from your country. Could you talk about tennis in Bulgaria and also how you got started in tennis.

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: The most famous players are the Maleevas in our country, around the world. They have lots of achievements in tennis.

Uhm, tennis is a really popular sport in our country. Lots of kids are playing. Lots of kids are trying to, you know, get in the big tennis.

But so far right now the rankings in top hundred is just me. We have a few other players who are around 200. We have one young star, Grigor Dimitrov, he won the boys singles here I think two years ago. Yeah, he has a good future, I think. I really wish him the best.

Q. Are you from Sophia? How did you get started?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: No, I'm not from Sophia; I'm from Plovdiv. That is the second biggest city in our country.

I started ever since I was baby actually, because my father is a tennis coach. Maybe the first time I hit the ball I was around three years old, and later on I started to play more seriously. My first tournament I think I played when I was seven years old or something like that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My father is a coach. So I spent, you know, almost the whole of my life on the tennis court.

Q. Do they have academies for kids in your country? How do they develop players there?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: No, we don't have academies. We have tennis clubs where we have coaches. You know, the normal stuff. We don't have like, let's say, in Spain they have lots of academies. We have tennis clubs where kids come and play.

If the kid is good, the coaches start paying a lot of attention to him. That's pretty much it.

Q. Does the country's federation start paying your travel expenses when you're 14, 15, 16 years old?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Back then, no. Back then the federation wasn't very strong. The people then really didn't care, I think. But right now, ever since few years back now, the people who manage the federation are changed.

We have Stefan Tsvetkov, who is the manager of our federation. He's doing a lot right now for the tennis. He's trying to keep it alive. He's making lots of tournaments, trying to find sponsors for our players, you know, for the federation.

Yeah, I receive help from my federation right now.

Q. What memories do you have of Wimbledon growing up?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Wimbledon has always been, you know, like a religion to me. And I don't think it's just for me. I think it's for all of the players.

Q. Why do you say that?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Because Wimbledon is the first tournament. It's the oldest tournament. Growing up, every player is looking at Wimbledon. They say, One day I want to play there. That's like a dream.

Q. So when you think of yourself out there in the women's semifinals on Thursday, what is your reaction?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, you know, honestly I still cannot believe that I reached the semifinals. This is truly like a dream to me, and I will try to enjoy it as much as I can.

Q. Do you think you have more to offer in the semifinal?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: I really hope that I have more to offer. I'll just try to do all the right things: to rest well, to prepare well for the next match. I'll just try to do my best and we'll see what happens.

Q. Why do you think there's an aging trend in women's tennis?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Sorry. Can you repeat?

Q. You're one of the younger quarterfinalists. Why do you think we're seeing older players that seem to be doing better than younger players?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: I don't know. I guess, you know ‑‑ I really don't know how to answer.

Q. Even people who don't follow tennis have heard of Venus Williams. In the nicest possible way, not many people have heard of you. Are you ready for all the attention that is going to bring?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah, I can say that I'm ready. You know, I beat Williams once before, at the Australian Open, like five years ago. There was so many attention then. I was shocked, you know.

Next match, I just couldn't focus because of all the attention. Right now I think I've learned my lesson then. I'll just try to focus.

Q. Some people can't clearly cope with it. You seem confident. Is that part of the reason why you've been successful at it?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah, I can say that I gained my confidence last couple of years. I've learned a lot. I've been through a lot last year. I had a bad season. I learned a lot from that. I think that is one of the things that help me right now.

Q. What else helps you? Is there anything in your family or personal life that keeps you going?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah, of course it's very important to have support from your family and friends. I'm very happy because almost all of my family's here now. I have also lots of friends who are supporting me.

Q. You said Wimbledon was like a religion. The gods of Wimbledon have not been kind to you for many years.

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Yeah, that's true.

Q. Now they're very nice. Why do you think the change?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, I guess I wasn't ready back then, you know, to play further in the tournament. Uhm, coming here, I had I think only one match win here.

I think it's because I've played more and more on grass. You know, every year I have at least two tournaments. Right now I guess I was ready for that.

Q. You said to the BBC you had a particularly poor 2009; that you hardly won a game. Was there a reason for that? If not, did you ever think about quitting the game altogether?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: You know, in a tennis career a player goes through a lot of stuff. Sometimes you play really well. On the other hand, other times you play really bad.

In my case, the bad playing was for almost a year. That was really, really hard for me. I just didn't know what to do. I tried a lot of things. I tried different things, but it just didn't happening.

I guess it's because, you know, when you lose one match you get a little bit upset. Then going to the next match, you're just not a hundred percent. And, uhm, yeah, there was at one point I think I lost six or seven times first round. I was like, Okay, what should I do now?

But quitting the game? No. I really love the tennis. I was pretty determined that one day I will get back. I'm very happy that I achieved, you know, today to play the semifinal.

Q. Can you talk about Zvonareva, your semifinalist opponent? Have you played against her very often?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: I played against her once last year in Moscow. It was November, I think. I made a convincing win. I won 6‑2, 6‑Love. I played really well. (Laughter.)

Q. The Williams sisters have had an air of invincibility around this place for many years. Do you think this result can help in that image?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Do I think what?

Q. The Williams sisters, they've been so dominant in this competition for years. Do you think that dominance might be starting to end now?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, I don't know. They're still doing pretty well. But, you know, at one point maybe it will end. I guess it may be soon.

Q. Do you see signs their strengths are decreasing?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: No, not really. Just because Venus lost from me today doesn't mean that, you know, her career is over or something like that, no.

So I think they're one of the best players in the world, in the tennis history. I think they're still doing very good.

Q. Were there things you learned in that match against Venus that you used today?

TSVETANA PIRONKOVA: Well, that match was a long time ago. It was five years ago. But it really gave me an idea how is she playing and how I am supposed to be playing. And, yeah, maybe it helped me.

Good interview!

leftyness
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
YES well done pironkova. And what a sweetheart in her post match interview. So nice and humble. The womens final is now worth watching this year. :)

Agreed, I loved how she shook the BBC interviewers hand at the end. Came across as lovely young woman. I enjoyed her play.

I'm glad the possibility of another Serena/Venus final is gone (nothing against either, but it just feels odd). I feel a lil sad for Venus tho, and I hope she doesn't retire. No more Venus at Wimbly? A shame imo.

Thanx4nothin
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Just horrendous from Venus, hard to even know how well Pironkova played...what was it 30 UFE by the end? Pironkova has an awesome backhand, but that forehand was a liability it seemed, and Venus just appeared oblivious to this fact! I'm not sure how Venus rebounds from this, but the better player, by FAR won the match....shame Venus couldn't get any of her game working... :(

simonsaystennis
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Oh Venus :o soooooo disappointing.

Sportfan
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Sucks for Venus who has been having a solid year so far. Unfortunately nothing seemed to be working for Venus today even when she managed to get the break in the second set she gave it right back with her messy play. Hope she has a better US Open.. Best of luck to her and Serena in the doubles hopefully a win there will help her shake this off.

poulao
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Tsvetana you did it once, now you've done it twice :cheer: ;)

Venus :hug: maybe next year ;)

Ntosake
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Aw Vee, disappointed you lost, but hey, shake it off-you still got a chance in the doubles.
Still love you, Girl.

Congrats Pironkova, you played a great match.

Temperenka
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
WOW :eek:

I used to really like Tsvetana, but then she absolutely disappeared! This is soo random. :lol: But :worship: She played a great match!

Venus :help:

*Jool*
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
so losing to Heather Watson in Eastbourne qualies might be a good prep for Wimbledon after all :lol: I love those random results

well done, Pironk ! :yeah:

Renee
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
oh, Venus...get it together, please:(

justine schnyder
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oh god

TZVETI83
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Vera says it best! This is why when Tzveti is on, she is dangerous.

Q. What were her strengths when you played her in Moscow?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think she's all‑over‑the‑court player. You know, it's hard to predict what she's doing on the court. Sometimes she can slice; sometimes she can hit the ball; sometimes she can play slow; sometimes she can play fast. You never know what to expect, so you lose your rhythm. Then you start thinking maybe too much on the court.

I just know that in that match I will have to concentrate on myself and execute my game no matter what the score, no matter what she's trying to do. Just try not to look on the other side and try to concentrate on myself.

justine schnyder
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
what (another) disgusting GS it turns to be :o

Agata.
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Tsveti :worship:

Vikapower
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
5 wimblys for Venus.:devil:
Since the final in Wim 2009 it's Venus' fifth consecutive loss in a GS. :umbrella:

rucolo
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
omg!!! :eek: :bolt:

Venus :haha:

Extremely shocking.
Biggest shock ever.

Love you, Pironkova!;) Today.

Slutati
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Dedicated to my fan, Uranium. :hearts:
Venus :wavey:

cellophane
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Vera says it best! This is why when Tzveti is on, she is dangerous.

:rolls: at Vera saying "all-over-the-court player". :lol:

shanetrumpet
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I am going to laugh if Venus wins the US Open this year with all the hatred in this thread.

bbjpa
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Fantastic :woohoo::clap2::bowdown: , even in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine that victory.

Just for avoiding us an another boring all WS final I will root 100% for Tsvetana in the semis :bowdown:

Joe.
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Woah.

Biggest upset at Wimbledon in as long as I can remember....

Tsveti :worship: Such a cute reaction to winning and so sweet in her post-match interview. :awww:

Not sure who I want to win in her SF vs Vera....should be a pretty good match! :D

MajesticVenus
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I am going to laugh if Venus wins the US Open this year with all the hatred in this thread.

I'll join you too. After reading this below, this just makes me even more sad. All these defeats of this year (which have been few) are very devastating. It's always because of the huge amount of unforced errors flying off her racket. However, I think this just needed to happen again. Let's just hope that it will be like in 2006 when she lost against Jankovic, but then came back and win 2007. Don't worry Venus, we still veelieve in you.

Having suffered her worst setback at Wimbledon since losing in the third round of the 2006 Championships, Venus Williams was brutally honest about the reason for her straight-sets loss to Tsvetana Pironkova. It was, she said, because she played so poorly.

"I just didn't get enough balls in today," she admitted. "I had a lot of opportunities and a lot of short balls but I just seemed to hit each one out. Obviously she played well but I don't think I did anything right today."

Venus committed a horrendous 29 unforced errors and perpetrated five double-faults, statistics which she felt were a big help to Pironkova. "She played solid but if I hadn't contributed to her effort I'm not sure it would have gone so well. I definitely made too many contributions to her. I missed all the shots today; forehand, volley, backhand. If there was a shot to miss, I missed it."

Since Wimbledon is the focus of her playing year after eight appearances in the final since the Millennium she was understandably disappointed. "Not to be able to bring my best tennis and to make that many errors is disappointing. I wasn't overpowered or hit off the court or anything, I just kind of let myself exit. Obviously I'm not pleased but I have to move on. What else can I do? Unless I have a time machine, which I don't.

"I expect a lot from myself, especially at this tournament. When I missed a few shots I was maybe a little too hard on myself. I got too caught up in the mistakes I was making instead of just letting it go and move on."

Venus refuted any suggestions that, at the age of 30, it might be time for her consider whether to give up the sport. "Why wouldn't I want to pursue [tennis]" she asked. "I'm pretty good at it most days.

"I'll give it up when I'm just terrible. It would take more than just a few bad days in a year to make me quit tennis. So that's not even in the equation."

by Ronald Atkin

Vikapower
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Nice joke.

AnDrEi.b
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Impressive result ! :woohoo:

Vulturepova
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
:bowdown:

I always said Tsveti was wasting her talent and was capable of so much more, so this is vindication finally!

Venus wasnt all there but it was a great old school tennis display from Tsveti :bowdown:

Now the final is not out of the question. I just hope this is a new beginning for her career-wise. I thought after that Rome QF 2 years ago she would be on her way but then she stalled so hopefully this is it.

:hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Well done Tsvetana :yeah:

Vee :hug:

spencercarlos
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Good for the game.

Watching Tsvetlana vs Henin at Roland Garros, and seeing how great she has become at counterpounching i knew she could trouble Venus even on grass.

I just hope Serena wins this and restores order.

manu32
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Venus was awful....sorry for her,the opponent was not a big deal frankly,but with all these UE ,nobody can win against nobody....
I skipped the 18 pages of this thread of course....useless as always,i suppose

Sp!ffy
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I remember when everyone told me I was retarded last year when I said Venus would never win another GS.

Now one year later, on her favorite surface, she lost to someone who has never gotten past the 2nd round and she lost in straight sets....

Disappointing performance. Pironkova - Zvonareva semi = omg

winone23
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Venus gave the match away.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM
after Ju left, i was rooting for her, babe :sobbing:

:hug:

wait...you're not gonna sweetcleo us are you :scared:

keithb1961
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
with this and kims loss, and the winner of kanepi or kvitova being another semi finalist i wont be watching the semis.

WTA igoes from bad to worse.

Dont watch it then. You know this isnt wrestling that is scripted and the outcomes assured. What fun would it be if every match was won by the higher ranked player? You never know who is going to win and thats what makes it exciting. Its called live sports. For me, I like seeing new or less accomplished players winning. I dont see how this reflects badly on the WTA. Surprises are good :)

GreenEvgeny
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:05 PM
just couldn't believe V played like this

Bruno71
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Sounds like another fine example of match-ups at work. If that was Shahar or an in-form Safina playing Venus, she'd certainly have won. But players like Pironkova, JJ, and Flavia know they can beat her because they match up so well. Venus is to the extreme when it comes to good and bad matchups for her.

And Pironkova in a slam semi :spit:

KamilZ
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Tsveti :inlove: Great results in London! :woohoo:

Freakan
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah right because she's such a big threat outside Wimbledon :lol:

Olórin
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Good god Venus, you've shamed us all :o
Pironkova in a hallowed Wimbledon semi, let's just hope to god Zvonareva wins.

Uranus
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
OH-MY-FUCKING-GOD. What a day.

Serena HAS this slam in the bag.

Richie's
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
:woohoo:

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good god Venus, you've shamed us all :o
Pironkova in a hallowed Wimbledon semi, let's just hope to god Zvonareva wins.
The only person Venus shamed today is herself.

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
OH-MY-FUCKING-GOD. What a day.

Serena HAS this slam in the bag.
No, she does not. Serena still has to win two more matches.

Uranus
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
No, she does not. Serena still has to win two more matches.
Come take my eyes off my skull if she even loses a set.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Just watching the highlights back. Only Venus could hit every single ball to a player's strength. :worship:

Craig.
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Oh.my.fucking.God :weirdo:

Pironkova in a fucking Slam semi :hysteric:

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Difference between Vee and Serena...Vee NO plan B, her serve isn't a consistent weapon...Vee kept bam bam bam, instead of using angles..mixing it up.

cn ireland
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Very disappointing performance from Venus:(!!

Congrats to Pironkova though, she deserved to win.

FORZA SARITA
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
wow just wow!congrats pironkova :worship: always knew she was a talented player and deserved to be ranked a lot higher but a GS semi with a win against Wimbledon Queen is just amazing :bowdown:

Venus :o:hug: i fear this loss will hurt her for some time :scared:

Inger67
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
All these people saying Venus needs to retire when she is now the #4? Who are you guys kidding? Just shut the hell up.

mckyle.
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
All these people saying Venus needs to retire when she is now the #4? Who are you guys kidding? Just shut the hell up.

Yeah, usually it's just fans overreacting. But let's look at this clearly. Venus Williams, a five-time Wimbledon champion who looked to be having her best season in years, won just FIVE games against Pironkova, a player playing in her first grand slam quarterfinal. This doesn't trouble you at all?

delicatecutter
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I thought Venus' form was supposed to get BETTER as the tournament went along. :tape:

tievae
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Pironkova is my hero. :worship: :hearts: No Williams sisters final this year. :banana:

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Just watching the highlights back. Only Venus could hit every single ball to a player's strength. :worship:

whenever i say venus has no idea of a game plan and just goes out there and hits, veetards get all huffy and claim shes some mastermind on court.

you only need watch venus hit constantly to pironkova's backhand today to know shes clueless about tactics most of the time.

smarties
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
People don't give enough credit to Pironkova. Yes, Venus made a lot of errors but it's due to Pironkova's game plan: instead of just bashing, she gave her a lot of different looks and that threw off Venus. Gotta love that squash forehand :worship:

BluSthil
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
It shows you that a good tennis player, with a sensible game plan, can beat a power player by changing it up and keeping the ball in play until a winning shot becomes available. Scramble in a little luck and a player not up to the challenge, and you have a BIG upset. Kudos to the "mix it up" Russian.

However, It is doubtful that Pironkova will be able to advance from here...

poulao
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I think that Venus fell like a true ball basher. :lol: When she could not blast Tsvetana of the court, she run out of options and hit the ball out :lol:

Dawson.
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm struggling to think of a match where Venus played worse, especially at Wimbledon.

What a great semi final =/

edificio
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Opening games of the match told the story. Venus off her game (plus the odd Pironkova match up). It happens. That's why they play the matches and don't go by ranking.

Aaron.
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Wake me up from this nightmare :sad:

Nice interview from Pironkova she's a nice girl

Ryan
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Bad play from Venus, but she beats players while playing at that level quite often. Kudos to Pironkova for not choking, and really playing some smart tennis. I love that slice forehand. :drool:

Vikapower
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Didn't Justine retire while she was #1 ? Venus should think of seriously retiring because she's ruining her stats, humiliating herself constantly and at the end she'll be remembered as a shitty player.

meyerpl
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Didn't Justine retire while she was #1 ? Venus should think of seriously retiring because she's ruining her stats, humiliating herself constantly and at the end she'll be remembered as a shitty player.That's one way of looking at it; go out whiole you're still on top.

Another way is, why go out when you can still play the game you love? Many hall of fame athletes played well past their prime. Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis aren't remembered as shitty boxers. Warren Spahn and Babe Ruth aren't remembered as shitty baseball players. Joe Namath and Bart Starr aren't remembered as shitty quarterbacks.

If Venus Williams plays until she's terrible, as she said she would today, she'll always be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

Valanga
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Didn't Justine retire while she was #1 ? Venus should think of seriously retiring because she's ruining her stats, humiliating herself constantly and at the end she'll be remembered as a shitty player.

To be completely honest, I see no point of Ju and Kim retiring in 08 and 07. Just take a few months break and see how it goes.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:37 PM
That's one way of looking at it; go out whiole you're still on top.

Another way is, why go out when you can still play the game you love? Many hall of fame athletes played well past their prime. Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis aren't remembered as shitty boxers. Warren Spahn and Babe Ruth aren't remembered as shitty baseball players. Joe Namath and Bart Starr aren't remembered as shitty quarterbacks.

If Venus Williams plays until she's terrible, as she said she would today, she'll always be remembered as one of the all-time greats.

Great post. Totally agree. The players I most respect are infact the ones that continue until they are well past their best because they love the competition.

joao
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:55 PM
and at the end she'll be remembered as a shitty player.

Are you serious? Even if Venus somehow never wins anything again, she will never be remembered as a shitty player.
Do you think that in 10 years, people will actually remember her loss to Pironkova at the 2010 Wimbledon? :rolleyes:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM

are you serious :lol:

darrinbaker00
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Are you serious? Even if Venus somehow never wins anything again, she will never be remembered as a shitty player.
Do you think that in 10 years, people will actually remember her loss to Pironkova at the 2010 Wimbledon? :rolleyes:
Outside of Bulgaria, no. Then again, thanks to the Internet, people can easily look it up. They don't have to remember it.

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM
are you serious :lol:

Some people are just over the top; such drama queens.

Considering the money Venus is getting, I'd LOVE to humiliate myself if that's the case! :lol:

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
:eek: :eek:

kris719
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
woo tsveti :)

Pasta-Na
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
venus :help: :help: :help:

Donny
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM
whenever i say venus has no idea of a game plan and just goes out there and hits, veetards get all huffy and claim shes some mastermind on court.

you only need watch venus hit constantly to pironkova's backhand today to know shes clueless about tactics most of the time.

And people ALWAYS say Venus is the better strategist/tactician of the two sisters. I have no idea what they're talking about.

thegreendestiny
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM

:happy:
I'm sorry to tell you but it ain't happenin'.

:wavey:

P_Fer
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Tsveti! Im so happy for you, what an amazing result! :woohoo:
Really impressed with how calmly and confidently she played the match, well done :worship:
Played her game very well!
Definitely deserved the win! :D
Good luck in the semis! :yeah:

Venus definitely didnt adjust well to Tsevti's game.

Cakeisgood
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:36 AM
People say Lena is a brainless ball machine, Venus can be even worse.

For goodness sake woman, hit to her forehand!!

Miranda
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:36 AM
how could that be? whats wrong with Venus?:fiery:

Vwilliamsfan1
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Venus :o. :tape:

ampers&
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:31 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/31/f53sle_2.gif

Larrybidd
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Preach it ! :lol:

Venus has 0 plan B when plan A doesn't work. :help: And you call Venus the greatest grass courter of all times ? :rolleyes:

When you can't keep your serve, forehand, backhand or volley in the court, what would the next plan be? Kick it? I don't think that is allowed under the rules.

Sometimes it just ain't your night. Ask every other seeded player besides Vera and Serena.

Carotastrophe
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Pironkova :eek: upset of the tourney :yeah:

Caralenko
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Woah.

The Terror of Veerror.

Carotastrophe
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Yes, thank you tennis gods.

That is one less belching Williams in the final, now to eradicate the other one and we have a perfect final.

This :lol:

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:10 AM
For once agreeing with Sammy...Venus was just clueless out there. Kept grooving Pironkova's backhand which is her strongest side, falling in the junk-ball trap. Not good.

~Eclipsed~
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:34 AM
What a horrid match from Venus. :o

All credit to Pironkova for her mental strength and mixing up her shots effectively, but Venus didn't try to adjust at all. It seemed like every short ball or east putaway she had, she made a mess of. This is definitely not the end for Venus. She is human just like the rest of us. She had an off day vs a tricky player, doesn't mean she should throw in the towel on her career. I'm sure most players would love to have her results so far this year.

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
The thing is...for many years now it's been WImbledon or nothing for Vee. If even WImbledon isn't there anymore, thenn..

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Superb, clever and mentally tough Pironkova! What an amazing performance from such a low ranked player.

Probably the most shocking defeat of Venus's career, but it has followed the pattern of trenchant straight set defeats started with the Miami mauling by Kim. Venus is clearly in decline, the rise to no 2 in the world masked the fact that her results were far inferior to 2008 and were more due to the abysmal nature of the rest of the current top 5 bar Serena.

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Superb, clever and mentally tough Pironkova! What an amazing performance from such a low ranked player.

Probably the most shocking defeat of Venus's career, but it has followed the pattern of trenchant straight set defeats started with the Miami mauling by Kim. Venus is clearly in decline, the rise to no 2 in the world masked the fact that her results were far inferior to 2008 and were more due to the abysmal nature of the rest of the current top 5 bar Serena.

Uhumm...some admirable consistency. But when she loses, it ain't pretty. No fight, no plan B..nada.

Corswandt
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:35 AM
The local sports channel showed the 2nd set of this and it was total :haha:

Pironkova looping up and then flattening out her FH, and of course blasting her BH flat and low without warning. No rhythm, you just never knew what to expect from her.

As for her serve:

Also, how fucking good was the Pironkova first serve? Deep, accurate and even dare i say- clutch! Such a contrast to other matches i've seen, where her serve just looks so precarious and attackable.

Pironkova has been hitting her flat 1st serve consistently in the 185-195 km/h range ever since Warsaw, if not earlier. She has actually become one of the Tour's most powerful servers in terms of raw pace.

Venus was ghastly. Couldn't deal with Pironkova's junk, couldn't adjust to never really knowing what she'd get from Pironkova's wonky FH, botched every low volley Pironkova's slices forced to attempt to hit, and once her serve went away she was a sitting duck.

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Some people still do not understand how remarkable Tzveti's run has truly been. When playing her game she has always been dangerous and she has given almost all the top players trouble at one point. She even has 5 top ten wins. However most of those big matches have always managed to slip away from her. Now she is playing with confidence, her game has finally come together, even the forhand is working, the serve has become one of the biggest weapons. This is a girl who comes from a country where there are no grass courts. A girl who played her first grass court match just 4 years ago, she has little to no sponsors, no team of professionals surrounding her. Everything she has done, she has done herself and that is remarkable. I only hope this is the start of a new WTA star, one that is both easy on the eyes and intelligent. I am truly in awe of her performance. Come Thursday, she plays Vera Zvonareva, a player she has beaten before and I am really liking her chances for making the final. Tzveti has yet to lose a set, in her match VS both Bartoli and Dushevina she stuck to her power game and overpowered the pair of them(she hit 42 winners against Bartoli), against Venus she knew she would have been easily overpowered so she changed up her tactic and showed us some smart tennis. She truly deserves all the attention she is getting, she was off of everyones radar and she proved that sometimes dreams do come true.

Sander.
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
6-2 6-3 :haha:

Venus :worship: or Tsveti :worship: ?

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
This is a girl who comes from a country where there are no grass courts. A girl who played her first grass court match just 4 years ago, she has little to no sponsors, no team of professionals surrounding her.
Her father is tennis professional

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Her father is tennis professional

Her father coaches her but he, Kiril Pironkov, is a former canoeing champion and not a professional tennis coach, he just happens to coach her, he has never played tennis professionally, he was actually a Bulgarian canoe coach for some time.

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:21 PM
5e2TM2miSCI

Enjoy!!!

black_fire
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Great video :)

I'm so excited about this tournament - I've never thought Pironkova would reach the semis there :hearts:

Hope to see another great performance of her tomorrow!

Shepster
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Her father coaches her but he, Kiril Pironkov, is a former canoeing champion and not a professional tennis coach, he just happens to coach her, he has never played tennis professionally, he was actually a Bulgarian canoe coach for some time.
From Pironkova - "I started ever since I was baby actually, because my father is a tennis coach. Maybe the first time I hit the ball I was around three years old, and later on I started to play more seriously. My first tournament I think I played when I was seven years old or something like that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My father is a coach. So I spent, you know, almost the whole of my life on the tennis court."

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
From Pironkova - "I started ever since I was baby actually, because my father is a tennis coach. Maybe the first time I hit the ball I was around three years old, and later on I started to play more seriously. My first tournament I think I played when I was seven years old or something like that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. My father is a coach. So I spent, you know, almost the whole of my life on the tennis court."

He is her tennis coach, as well as her sister's. He is not a professional tennis coach. He was a professional athlete. I know the family!;)

poulao
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
5e2TM2miSCI

Enjoy!!!

Tank you :hearts:

Melange
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Great win Tzveti :bounce:

Shepster
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
He is her tennis coach, as well as her sister's. He is not a professional tennis coach. He was a professional athlete. I know the family!;)
Then you'll know this :

BBC Five Live Interview, yesterday afternoon.

Balding :"Both of your parents have a sporting background..."
Pironkova : "Yeah, that's true."
CB : "But one was a canoeist and one was a swimmer?"
TP : "Yeah my Mom is a swimmer and my Dad is canoeist."
CB : "So how did you end up playing tennis?"
TP : "Cos my Dad fell in love with Tennis at one point and he started to playing like every day. Then he became ... he started to play a good level and he became a coach and that's the story."

She's made it abundantly clear multiple times yesterday that her Dad, after his previous career, became a coach and that's why she started playing tennis. Either she has no command of the English language and somehow cannot understand that her Dad wasn't a coach and only became one after she started playing (which is unlikely seeing as she repeatedly says it was his being a coach that got her started in playing tennis in the first place) or is lying. You choose.

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Then you'll know this :

TP : "Cos my Dad fell in love with Tennis at one point and he started to playing like every day. Then he became ... he started to play a good level and he became a coach and that's the story."

She's made it abundantly clear multiple times yesterday that her Dad, after his previous career, became a coach and that's why she started playing tennis. Either she has no command of the English language and somehow cannot understand that her Dad wasn't a coach and only became one after she started playing (which is unlikely seeing as she repeatedly says it was his being a coach that got her started in playing tennis in the first place) or is lying. You choose.

Kiril is not a professional tennis coach, he is just a guy that loved the game of tennis, started playing as a hobby and than coached both of his daughters. Tzveti's granpa is a famous artist(painter) in Bulgaria. I am from Plovdiv, have known Tzveti and her family since she was in diapers. He is her and her sister's coach. He is not a professional coach.;)

Its like calling Radoslav Karatantchev a professional coach.

Shepster
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Kiril is not a professional tennis coach, he is just a guy that loved the game of tennis, started playing as a hobby and than coached both of his daughters. Tzveti's granpa is a famous artist(painter) in Bulgaria. I am from Plovdiv, have known Tzveti and her family since she was in diapers. He is her and her sister's coach. He is not a professional coach.;)
You don't have to write it again, I read what you wrote the first time - I just want to know which of the two it is, Pironkova doesn't actually know English well enough to answer a simple question correctly or she's lying? She says she *started* because her dad was a coach. Repeatedly. So tell me, a total lack of command of the language or is she just being deceitful? I'd really like to know.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM
People say Lena is a brainless ball machine, Venus can be even worse.

For goodness sake woman, hit to her forehand!!

You know, she does not have a Carlos Rodriguez to tell her that during the match. :wavey:

sammy01
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
And people ALWAYS say Venus is the better strategist/tactician of the two sisters. I have no idea what they're talking about.

serena is the far more astute when it comes to game plans and adapting to an opponent.

Viktymise
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Then you'll know this :

Her dad likely became a recreational coach rather than a professional one who worked for a federation or something.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Some people still do not understand how remarkable Tzveti's run has truly been. When playing her game she has always been dangerous and she has given almost all the top players trouble at one point. She even has 5 top ten wins. However most of those big matches have always managed to slip away from her. Now she is playing with confidence, her game has finally come together, even the forhand is working, the serve has become one of the biggest weapons. This is a girl who comes from a country where there are no grass courts. A girl who played her first grass court match just 4 years ago, she has little to no sponsors, no team of professionals surrounding her. Everything she has done, she has done herself and that is remarkable. I only hope this is the start of a new WTA star, one that is both easy on the eyes and intelligent. I am truly in awe of her performance. Come Thursday, she plays Vera Zvonareva, a player she has beaten before and I am really liking her chances for making the final. Tzveti has yet to lose a set, in her match VS both Bartoli and Dushevina she stuck to her power game and overpowered the pair of them(she hit 42 winners against Bartoli), against Venus she knew she would have been easily overpowered so she changed up her tactic and showed us some smart tennis. She truly deserves all the attention she is getting, she was off of everyones radar and she proved that sometimes dreams do come true.
I'm sorry, but i'm not reading that. :lol:

The Dawntreader
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:48 PM
serena is the far more astute when it comes to game plans and adapting to an opponent.

Compared to most players, Venus is still hardly a Dumbo tactics-wise.

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM

You're right she is.

But I'd like to make a distinction here. IMHO:

Venus is STUBBORN and therefore will not back off from a losing game plan because she feels it will be good enough in the long run (i.e. it will click) and things will work out. So it's not that she DOESN'T KNOW how to change tactic, she JUST WON'T.

Most people know this; it's her stubborness that holds her back in so many ways.

slamchamp
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
He is her tennis coach, as well as her sister's. He is not a professional tennis coach. He was a professional athlete. I know the family!;)cool, do you expect us to worship you or something?

Craig.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
cool, do you expect us to worship you or something?

:spit: Oh my.

Aaron.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
cool, do you expect us to worship you or something? :hysteric:

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
You're right she is.

But I'd like to make a distinction here. IMHO:

Venus is STUBBORN and therefore will not back off from a losing game plan because she feels it will be good enough in the long run (i.e. it will click) and things will work out. So it's not that she DOESN'T KNOW how to change tactic, she JUST WON'T.

Most people know this; it's her stubborness that holds her back in so many ways.

And that's just even dumber..you never change a WINNING tactic was the motto. Since when did it become: stick to a LOSING tactic waiting for it to turn-around?

Inger67
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
And that's just even dumber..you never change a WINNING tactic was the motto. Since when did it become: stick to a LOSING tactic waiting for it to turn-around?

Well that tactic has won her 5 titles and 3 RUP's here? :shrug: More than any other active player

mckyle.
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well that tactic has won her 5 titles and 3 RUP's here? :shrug: More than any other active player

It also got her a 62 63 ass whooping by Pironkova! :lol:

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Only as good as your last match, remember?

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:43 PM

I don't know. Believe me, that's the million dollar question!

lilygotsilly
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM

I didnt see the dushevina match but in the Bartoli match Pironkova hung 5 feet behind the baseline patiently getting back balls and attacking only when Bartoli got herself out of position. The reason for all the winners was that Bartoli was attacking, taking the ball quick right on to top of the baseline, trying to hit thru the court, but the courts too slow now for traditional fast grass tennis and Bartoli doesnt have enough power to hit thru a slow court. Pironkova got everything back and then counter attacked and got her winners. THEN , bartoli started net rushing like a mad woman trying to come up with something aggressive and made for easy passes by Pironkova and more winners!! THATS how she came up with the winners.

Against Venus she didnt need to hit winners because Venus didnt have the patience to grind this out from the baseline as much as BArtoli did. While bartoli was trying to be aggressive at least her first shots were going in making for really long Clay like rallies. Venus was trying to force this slow court to play faster than it was by being ultra aggressive and because of the defense of Pironkova and her strategy of playing like a clay court Venus was pumping errors within the first shots making for much quicker rallies, much more errors and much less winners for Pironkova. Still same strategy by Pironkova and same result.

Better to watch the match when you can instead of just relying on the stats which sometimes are misleading.

lizchris
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
It also got her a 62 63 ass whooping by Pironkova! :lol:
And Venus still has her five Wimbledon, 2 USO and one Olympic gold medal while Pironkova is going home after not backing up her win against Venus so what is your point?:rolleyes:

And 6-2, 6-3 isn't an ass kicking. Now 6-1, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-1 is (and Maria got those from both Williams sisters).

lilygotsilly
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Doesnt anyone else see that these DIRT courts are playing slow!! This has a lot to do with the shoddy play of all the top women who are used to playing a certain way on "grass". 10 years ago it was all ATTACK - since when was patience the key on a grass court. But now thats how Pironkova has been winning and a big reason why justine and kim and venus crashed out. Shouldnt be so bad for Serena who actually is pretty good at slow courts. In fact I really think her best surface may be the slow hard courts of the aussie open where she can just bang her heavy power shots all day.

But I really think the men who control this stuff need to look at this tournament and decide how they want to proceed. The weather is so crazy these days that its hard to know what to do, but we are really getting far away from the way lawn tennis is traditionally played which saddens me. And I dont mean just old Pete Sampras serve and volley. Before that we had Rod Lavers dink and dunk approach - which is fine too , but its all predicated on the grass playing quick which just isnt the case anymore - especially the second week.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
And Venus still has her five Wimbledon, 2 USO and one Olympic gold medal while Pironkova is going home after not backing up her win against Venus so what is your point?:rolleyes:

And 6-2, 6-3 isn't an ass kicking. Now 6-1, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-1 is (and Maria got those from both Williams sisters).

Are you sure you are in the right thread? :spit:

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
It's been two days now, and Ashton Kutcher still hasn't come out to tell us that we've been Punk'd. This must have actually happened. :sad:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
It's been two days now, and Ashton Kutcher still hasn't come out to tell us that we've been Punk'd. This must have actually happened. :sad:Its an unbelievable result. Venus had an easy road to the final.

Cp6uja
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
We really don't need to open new thread about this :shrug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
lmao..exact same score even. Best WTA karma ever?:haha:

Dominic
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Venus is such an idiot seriously.