PDA

View Full Version : Maria Fans, Be Proud, She Performed Well Today And IS On Her Way Back

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I know you are all disappoined because Maria lost today.
But she took it the fight to Serena, and Serena felt it.
For few minutes in the first set, it looked 2004 Wimby final.

Maria's serve and returns of serve were sizzling and thwoing off Serena.
She never gave up in the tie break.

Despite the double faults in the 2nd set, it was by no means a runaway by Serena.

Craig.
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks. :)

Fuck this draw.

simonsaystennis
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Fuck this draw.

This. Why couldn't Maria have been placed in Schiavone's or Wozniaki's quarter. :o Justine and Maria got screwed. :o

P_Fer
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Thank you! Im very proud of her :D

madmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM
yeah, she wasn't bad I guess...but still choked badly in two service games and gave away first set tiebreak - still rusty on big points and lacks mental fortitude to win close matches. Her favorite part of the season is only coming up though

goldenlox
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:47 AM
It looks like she is getting back to where she was.
This has been a long process since the surgery, and there's still some areas that can improve.

moby
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:49 AM
This. Why couldn't Maria have been placed in Schiavone's or Wozniaki's quarter. :o Justine and Maria got screwed. :oJustine didn't get screwed by the draw. She had a very winnable R16 match and f*cked herself up. It was a comfortable path to the semis.

NeoZod19
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'm a huge tennis fan and like to watch quality tennis so it'd be a REAL + if we can have Maria back to her usual form, no doubt!;)

Vincey!
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I can't be more agree with that :D

hurricanejeanne
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Totally agree, should be a nice summer for Maria since she's finding her form finally. :D

Allez Pova! :bounce:

supergrunt
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
yeah on her way back to #119 in the world :p

Ilikebigboobies
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:35 AM
She is a horrible player. Likes to shreik to put her opponents off. It is cheating.

Koon
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Not even her fans but also hopes she can find her rhymth in the hartcourt part :yeah:

Sean.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I'm happy for Masha fans, I know what it's like to have a fave, or 3, sucking. :yeah: And she's good for tennis.

Rafito.
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:50 AM
She is a horrible player. Likes to shreik to put her opponents off. It is cheating.

:)

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Please I know it is hard, but please try to keep the spirit of the thread going.

There are other thread when you can vent your dislike or Maria.
This is not one of them.

Nicolás89
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I want the catwalks again. :(

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM
she'll be back win she wins a major or gets to a semi or two consistently. the end.

Sp!ffy
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Eh, I guess most Maria fans were disappointed that she couldnt take the first set but whatever. I think we all know deep down Maria is on her way back and its only a matter of time. :shrug:

Hopefully the hardcourt season is hers.

AnomyBC
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I am proud. I think this is the best I've seen her play since her comeback. Now I finally feel confident that she can win a slam again :bounce:

kickserve
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Yes, she really played Serena tough and this is exactly what women's tennis needs.

I really hope her play today augurs well for the rest of her season. She is sorely missed and matchups with her and other top players is only good for women's tennis.

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm not convinced. She didn't play that well in her previous match but did step it up to Serena. So, the question that looms for me remains if Sharapova can keep it together for 7 matches to win another major. That remains to be seen, but she should be very proud of her performance today. She had a very good chance to at least pull out the first set, but Serena wasn't going to be denied today. Next to Serena, still one of the best fighters on tour. I really admire that about her. Pumping herself up and giving it her all even on match point.

Steven.
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:16 AM
She still has time on her hands to win a few more slams, even if she does plan on retiring early... :]

Mugria
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:32 AM
IMO she's played well most of the time against top players since her comeback, its usually against the lower-ranked opponents who get a lot of balls back that she's been struggling against. Her serve still looks a little shaky though with DF's coming in bunches but overall, today's match was definitely a positive for Maria.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Don't care if you lose 0-6 0-6 to everyone. Still proud and love you always. :kiss:

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:42 AM
The thing is...she needs to start bringing it against lesser-ranked players too, otherwise she ain't gonna get her ranking up and keeps meeting the top players in 4th round and stuff. She was impressive yesterday though, no doubt.

narutos
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm not convinced. She didn't play that well in her previous match but did step it up to Serena. So, the question that looms for me remains if Sharapova can keep it together for 7 matches to win another major. That remains to be seen, but she should be very proud of her performance today. She had a very good chance to at least pull out the first set, but Serena wasn't going to be denied today. Next to Serena, still one of the best fighters on tour. I really admire that about her. Pumping herself up and giving it her all even on match point.

I don't know if someone already told you but we don't care about what u think.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Prior to this match, this is the biggest I've seen Maria serve since '08.

My concern for Maria now is will she be able to serve that big over the course of a grueling hardcourt season and then through a fortnight?

rafa the best
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I definitely think Maria is on her way back. I've been watching the comebacks of my 2 favorites , Rafa and Maria, for some time now and I can see some similarities.
Her losses to Henin and Serena reminded me of where Rafa was in Indian Wells and Miami where he lost in SF to Ljubicic and Roddick after winning first sets. After that he just lost it mentally and couldn't finish it off in the second and then left them take the control of the match.
The same with Maria, she just needed more focus and mental fortitude to win one of those break points at RG and set points yesterday. Next time she ll win those crucial points. She's getting there, she just really needs to gain more points and go to top 10 so she can avoid big players so early at Slams.

SymphonyX
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
In contrast to people saying "fuck this draw". I think it's actually good for Maria. Playing against Henin early in the French Open and Serena in Wimbledon and NOT getting mauled is a good thing. She gets that "elite feel" again. It's better than Maria getting weary of playing low ranked players then suddenly going up against the elite late in the draw. It's good she played against the lower ranked players in tournaments she won, that only means she's still more than good enough. But the more she plays the crappy players, she gets used to the pace match after match and it becomes too late when she goes up against someone like Serena or Justine all of a sudden. Maria can't be stagnant and she herself even said that she relishes her chances to play the best of the best. She knows it's good for her. They're really good measuring sticks.

Also, Maria's body language. She exudes confidence and focus regardless of the situation. I think this makes all the difference, especially in contrast to her fellow peers which are under 25 years of age.