PDA

View Full Version : Who impressed you more in their r16 match? Serena, Venus or Kim.

Olórin
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:03 PM
The three title favourites now remaining; who do you think displayed a more formidable level of tennis throughout the course of their match?

doni1212
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure because I only saw parts of Venus and Kim's matches. I was impressed with the way Venus fought back because it was seriously looking like a 3rd set was in store for her. And from what I saw from Kim I wasn't impressed at all. Serena's 1st serve and strong mental fortitude was the only part of her game that impressed me today. Her 2nd serve wasn't that great and her return of serve was shit. So...I guess Venus or maybe it's a draw between all three, :lol:

Tennisation
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
All 3 played like shit today

The Dawntreader
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Serena.

If only for the reason that she looks as physically fit at Wimbledon than she has for years. Really elevates her game.

COSAT
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
None of them :help:

J.Bravo
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
None of them really wowed me except Serena's serve.

Olórin
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
All 3 played like shit today

Well one of them will win the title, so I'm interested what people think of their relative levels.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I was impressed by Serena's serve. She lost the plot on ROS but that serve delivered ova and ova and ova again. :D

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Serena for sure. Kim would have lost to Maria today. Venus just wasn't impressive either.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Serena for sure. Kim would have lost to Maria today. Venus just wasn't impressive either.

Agreed. Serena's serve and her overall mental toughness got her out of trouble especially in that first set against Maria.

Randy H
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Probably Serena - I think the score would have been easier had she been able to take control early on when she had some opportunities, but Maria was playing quite well. Serena made some clutch shots, and I didn't think she did a lot wrong. Kim was very patchy, and Venus had a much easier opponent but still had some struggle in that second set.

Stevecw
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
None of them were at their best, but Serena still impressed most and she will win Wimbledon for sure. Can't see anyone beating her.

ivanban
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Sarin was best of the 3 today

Vee was average, and Kim was all over the place

Having said that, none of them actually impressed me :sad:

kiwifan
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I only say Serena because she had the most dangerous, on grass, opponent.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM

Yep on all counts.

Typical Vee, playing to the level of the competition. Kim was okay, but a mentally tough Sha'po' sends her home. While Serena's serve was impenetrable, I'm a bit concerned what will happen if made to play extensively off the ground.

Mightymirza
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Serena of course..

Dawson.
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Kvitova

it-girl
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I am going to have to go with Venus because she played a player who was playing well throughout the entire match and still won even with a few hiccups. It was not like Serena vs Maria or Kim vs Justine because both of those matches all of the players had patches of good play and patches of horrible play throughout the match. Like many mentioned Serena's serve really helped her today. But the girl Venus played was constantly coming for her and Venus still won. Also Venus had less unforced errors than Serena and Kim which is great considering how much pressure Groth was actually trying to put on her which lets me know that Venus is playing within herself.

VishaalMaria
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Probably not an informed decision as I didn't watch all of Kims match because Venus' match coincidded with it, but I have to say Serena.

I just think she looked more comfortable out there and played a little better than Kim and Venus.

Foxy
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Venus was just as impressive as Serena. The problem is that people base their judgement of the match based on the fact that Mary Carillo and MJF seems to use the entire match to praise Serena's serve.

But the bottom line is that Venus served well today and as did her opponent. The difference is that Serena had to hit a lot of aces because Maria was going toe-to-toe with her today. And despite Maria only having 3 or 4 aces, she had her opportunities to beat Serena but she didn't capitalize on her opportunities.

Now it's funny because people are praising Serena's serve over Venus' match, but the bottom line is that Serena and Venus ended up with basically the same score.

Serena didn't play any harder than Venus, not did she run down more shots than Venus. Serena also double faulted 5 times in todays match and Venus double faulted like 3-4 times.

Venus was winning about close to 90% of her points on first serve and BOTH Venus and Serna were broken ONE time today. Serena is in the same position as Venus, meaning they are both in the Quarter finals.

But Serena had to serve her way out of todays match because for the first time in 4 years she DID NOT blow Maria off the courts and that stunned her a little today.

And to be honest, it's about time these other players challenge Venus, Serena, Kim, and Justine at ALL of these majors then they will continue to look like flukes.

Venus and her opponent played a geat match, the only difference is that they were not on center court.

Inger67
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Why is everyone saying Venus isn't impressive? 9 aces 26 winners to 3 doubles and 15 UE? :shrug:

Serena's stats are really impressive. 19 aces :eek: 31 winners to 5 doubles and 17 UE

Kim had 1 ace and 22 winners with 6 doubles and 23 UE, the least impressive IMO

rommel99
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Why is everyone saying Venus isn't impressive? 9 aces 26 winners to 3 doubles and 15 UE? :shrug:

Serena's stats are really impressive. 19 aces :eek: 31 winners to 5 doubles and 17 UE

Kim had 1 ace and 22 winners with 6 doubles and 23 UE, the least impressive IMO

but you also have to consider who they are playing against. Serena have a mental advantage against sharapova having beating her easily in their last few matches. Sharapova is not that great of a mover as well.

not really sure how groth moves..

But kim is playing justine, this is a hurdle for kim since this is a grand slam on grass, a surface that she has not beaten justine ever. Justine is also a great mover so it would be harder for someone to hit a winner against. I say, serena and kim were impressive, venus was just so-so because of her opponent.

swim4life227
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Venus played crappy but had good fight. Always knew that match would be tough because Jarmilla has been killing it with the serve this tournie. She played well given that there were some awkward circumstances to start the match.

Serena's serve today was probably the best it's been this tournament. She served 6 aces in two games. She was going for way too much on the returns, I think she will tone it down in future matches.

Kim was getting owned that first zet, but from what I saw in the second she was really firing on all sides. In the third, looked like both their levels dropped off a lot and she was probably fortunate she was serving first and Henin imploded.

My vote is for Serena.

Leo_DFP
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I thought Venus looked vulnerable today. Especially at the very end of the match, she lost her balance and her timing, much moreso than she did against Kleybanova. Granted it seemed to be a windy day and she was on a smaller court, Court 2. But there were definite hitches in her game today that Groth expertly revealed - the kind of hitches that usually stay hidden at Wimbledon.

Only saw very little of Kim's match but to me she seemed to play within herself. I was impressed. After an absolute shit of a first set that recalled many of her trash losses in 2010, Kim calmed down and got her hard shots to land in the court. I think she could make life very difficult for Venus in the semis unless Venus is having a stunning serve day.

Haven't watched Serena's match yet.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Zvonareva, ohh wait not an option.

Then nobody.

Foxy
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Venus wasn't vulnerable today. Venus' opponent played no LESSER level of play than Maria. In fact, Venus' opponent was the better mover and she served just as well.

Serena had to ace her way out of the match because despite Maria being slow, she was hanging in there with Serena. Serena did not blow Maria off of the courts. The only difference is that the commentators have to start talking up a player, so they will continue to talk up Serena.

That's the same thing they did at the FO. They talked her serve up more than the girl from Australia, but Serena ended up losing because she was out served and out played by Sam Stousar at the FO.

Like I stated today, Serena and Venus had basically the same stats. Even with all of Serena's aces, she only had a handful of winners more than Venus, and the bottom line score was the same as Venus.

I don't care that Venus opponent was not ranked as high as her, that girls game against Venus was the same as Maria's against Serena.

Both Serena and Venus are in the quarters once again. It doesn't matter how a person makes it to the finals, just as long as they get there and hold that trophy up on July 4th. If it's Serena then she deserves it. If it's Venus she deserves it. If it's Kim she deserves, as well as the other girls.

Maria played the best game I've seen her play in the last 5 years, she just came up a little short today because she didn't capitalize on her opportunities. Venus' opponent came out firing from all sides of the courts and she was serving well too, she just came up short today becaus Venus' played within herself and didn't get rattled.

Venus has to play each opponent differently because she and Serena are still in the doubles and they can't exert too much energy because they have some tough opponents (Kim/Na Li) to go through to make it to the finals.

cellophane
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Serena of course.

And Kim would have lost to Maria based on what exactly? She wouldn't play Maria the same way...

sky20748
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Venus wasn't vulnerable today. Venus' opponent played no LESSER level of play than Maria. In fact, Venus' opponent was the better mover and she served just as well.

Serena had to ace her way out of the match because despite Maria being slow, she was hanging in there with Serena. Serena did not blow Maria off of the courts. The only difference is that the commentators have to start talking up a player, so they will continue to talk up Serena.

That's the same thing they did at the FO. They talked her serve up more than the girl from Australia, but Serena ended up losing because she was out served and out played by Sam Stousar at the FO.

Like I stated today, Serena and Venus had basically the same stats. Even with all of Serena's aces, she only had a handful of winners more than Venus, and the bottom line score was the same as Venus.

I don't care that Venus opponent was not ranked as high as her, that girls game against Venus was the same as Maria's against Serena.

Both Serena and Venus are in the quarters once again. It doesn't matter how a person makes it to the finals, just as long as they get there and hold that trophy up on July 4th. If it's Serena then she deserves it. If it's Venus she deserves it. If it's Kim she deserves, as well as the other girls.

Maria played the best game I've seen her play in the last 5 years, she just came up a little short today because she didn't capitalize on her opportunities. Venus' opponent came out firing from all sides of the courts and she was serving well too, she just came up short today becaus Venus' played within herself and didn't get rattled.

Venus has to play each opponent differently because she and Serena are still in the doubles and they can't exert too much energy because they have some tough opponents (Kim/Na Li) to go through to make it to the finals.

:worship:I agree

vwfan
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I only say Serena because she had the most dangerous, on grass, opponent.Kim had the most dangerous person on grass.

Maria hasn't gotten past the 4th round in three years.:help: 2004 was a long time ago.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:17 AM
but you also have to consider who they are playing against. Serena have a mental advantage against sharapova having beating her easily in their last few matches. Sharapova is not that great of a mover as well.

But kim is playing justine, this is a hurdle for kim since this is a grand slam on grass, a surface that she has not beaten justine ever. Justine is also a great mover so it would be harder for someone to hit a winner against. I say, serena and kim were impressive, venus was just so-so because of her opponent.

Kim had the most dangerous person on grass.

Maria hasn't gotten past the 4th round in three years.:help: 2004 was a long time ago.

Blah, blah, blah. Henin played like shit today. She was awful.

Maria > Justine on grass

vwfan
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Serena's serve.
Venus' fight.

Kim should just be glad that she got through.:p

Mugria
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Kim had the most dangerous person on grass.

So Henin not having played Wimbledon for the past 2 years makes her more dangerous?

Tennisation
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Out of the 3 opponents they faced, you would think Justine was the toughest one but she ended up being the worst. Groth was surprisingly good and Maria played at an excellent level we haven't seen fro her in a long time. If Justine were playing any of the Williams today she would have been blown off the court in straight sets. Then again, you can't really base today's matches in what will happen tomorrow especially if Kim and Venus were to play against each other in the semis. I still think Kim would have an edge, i mean when was the last time Venus beat Kim at a real tournament?

wateva
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:35 AM
serena of course.
groth was really playing tough yesterday and was up a break 2 times in the 2nd set but as always, didn't have the mental strength to finish it. and i felt that venus was reacting to groth instead of playing her in her own terms.
as for kim, no comments. no idea how she won playing so badly. :lol:

Inger67
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:39 AM

Kim has beaten Justine twice already this year prior to today, so if anything Justine had more pressure to actually beat Kim since they both came back from retirement around the same time. IMO Justine has more to prove and she knows it.

delicatecutter
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Kvitova. :shrug:

edificio
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:46 AM
All of these ladies played really well, but Kvitova really impressed me. I remember her from USO. She can be tough, but she just demolished the no. 3 seed. Amazing.

Leo_DFP
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Serena played the best of the 3. She's the favorite for the title because she's got a good draw to the final and she's stronger than both Clijsters and Venus in GS finals.

DefyingGravity
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:04 AM
If I were to say all 3 of them play out of the hand, 2nd and 3rd set Clijsters MIGHT win. If we were to put the serve back into the equation, Serena wins. It'll be interesting how Kim returns serve against a Williams sister. Vera isn't going to pose too much of a threat off the ground as she hasn't really penetrated through the court much today.

So I'd say Serena because I didn't get to see Kim return serve today. Clijsters off the ground would have given both Venus and Serena fits, because when they're all sub par, Venus and Serena will be more likely to hit an error first.

DefyingGravity
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:06 AM
So Henin not having played Wimbledon for the past 2 years makes her more dangerous?

Thank you. Don't tell me a Justine who's had 6 matches on grass in 3 years is more dangerous than a Sharapova who played Birmingham and Wimbledon for those 3 years, especially since she's coming out of retirement and completely retooled her game.

Hardiansf
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I don't know. But from that three, I found most dissappointed performance in Vee.

In The Zone
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:37 AM
None of them really wowed me except Serena's serve.

This sums it up completely. Close the thread!

friendsita
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
no one