PDA

View Full Version : Is Serena turning in a Karlovic mode ?

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
This is not a bash thread I know Serena has a game outside her serve unlike Karlovic but come on 15aces over Burrito, 19 against Cibulkova and 19 today against Maria.
I just want to see more than that she is capable of that but sadly we can't see many things except her beautifuls serves
Discuss?

Sp!ffy
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Serena has served this well before. It's went away before...it's came back...went away..etc. When Serena's on, her serve alone will pull her through pretty much any match. But of course we've seen days when it was off.

mdterp01
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Serena has won on days when the serve is off so whatevs!!!

Diesel
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
So Serena should double fault more?

Karlovic, Isner haven't won much of anything of importance and yet Serena has won several slams. She's not their equivalent. She has a great serve, and a great game that goes with it.

Donny
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
She served better in AO 08 (until that abortion of a match against Jankovic) and the first 2/3 of this year's AO.

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
So Serena should double fault more?

Karlovic, Isner haven't won much of anything of importance and yet Serena has won several slams. She's not their equivalent. She has a great serve, and a great game that goes with it.

And where did I say otherwise I know she has a ground game I want to see it more.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
NO.

Serena can play when the ball is in play.
Karlovic can NOT.

TSequoia01
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Normally Serena has a devastating return game, which is currently lacking. It will return, her timing seems a bit off.

jefrilibra
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM
She's that gifted! Deal with it.

You wouldnt complain if YOU had Serena's serve would you?

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
She's that gifted! Deal with it.

You wouldnt complain if YOU had Serena's serve would you?

If I was talking about Karlovic you would agree with me but since it's Serena I guess not. Again I know she has a game but that's not what we've seen so far in this tournament.

Serendy Willick
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:40 PM
See her match against Chatkvataze, she has more than a serve folks

Slutati
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
She's turning in a GOAT mode. :drive:

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
If I was talking about Karlovic you would agree with me but since it's Serena I guess not. Again I know she has a game but that's not what we've seen so far in this tournament.
I diagree with you, not because it is Serena and not Karlovic.
But because you are wrong.

bbjpa
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I have a proposition : every woman player who hits a serve more than 200km/h should play on ATP :lol:

She could be the best players in the world but I find Serena's game boring as hell when she serve , and without it I affirm this : she would be nothing :devil:

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I have a proposition : every woman player who hits a serve more than 200km/h should play on ATP :lol:

She could be the best players in the world but I find Serena's game boring as hell when she serve , and without it I affirm this : she would be nothing :devil:
Your proposition is null and void.
It is utter nonsense.

jefrilibra
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM

I see the heat has deep-fried your brain cells.

Im sorry. Really sorry :hug:

Tennisstar86
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
People say the grass has gotten really slow, I wonder has it sped back up this year.... I mean you had the non breaks is isners match. Roddick is currently playing and hasnt been broken. Serena's had back to back 19 ace matches (though..... I chubilkova IS only 5'2 so I thoughtthat explained that sin he has shorter reach but then Serena did it again against Sharapova) Venus just served up 9 aces in a straight set match...

Bijoux0021
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Bitter much!? :rolleyes:

All players would be nothing without their favorite shots. Besides, Serena also has a great forehand, great backhand and great return of serve. Her return of serve has not worked too well in the last two matches, but I'm sure it will get better.

What's your real problem with Serena?

Papillon.
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Serena will turn on the ground game when she needs to. The serve is a legitimate stroke and that alone is capable of winning her matches when it is just decent, let alone incredible like it has been this week.

This is coming from one of her biggest haters. Seriously, the amount of times she absolutely snuffs out any glimmer of hope with a cannon serve is incredible. Even if you dislike her like I do, you absolutely cannot deny she is AWESOME when just ONE of her strokes is on (in this case, the serve).

Diesel
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
And where did I say otherwise I know she has a ground game I want to see it more.

You see more all the time. You just don't like it considering Serena tends to win period. It's not a question of her serve being an asset or her mental strength, etc.

Larrybidd
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I think Serena had a personal record for DF's in her match she last to Stosur. I don't remember - a huge number, double digits I think. I'm sure a lot of her "dislikers" liked that serving performance a lot better.

Why should Serena give these chicks a break on serve, and risk a GS upset, if she doesn't need to? She can show other skills when returning. If you have the biggest weapon in the game, does it make sense to hide it?

The Witch-king
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM

:rolleyes: it's not her fault her opponents cant return her serve.

hotandspicey
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I want her to serve even better as she progresses. :eek: keep the points short and sweet. No long rallies exhausting herself and risking error. :p

govera
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Daily tactics sessions one motto: Let the beast go !

kiwifan
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Only in Tennisforum is the ability to hit aces and winners frowned upon. :haha:

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Sreena's serve has always been the key to her game...and in the latter part of her career it's the fundation of her game. If serve's good, giving free points, then Serena's almost unplayable.

Gdsimmons
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Her serve is just GOAT. She cant help that.

darrinbaker00
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Only in Tennisforum is the ability to hit aces and winners frowned upon. :haha:
I was thinking the same thing. "If this keeps up, we'll have to stop posting about the outfits and the shrieking, and start posting about...TENNIS!" :eek:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
so serena should miss more serves so YOU can see her ground game? :lol:

mauresmofan
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:45 PM
This is the best she's ever served - shows no signs of slowing down and her game is quite consistant. I'm very impressed by her focus on the court especially today.

Vespertine69
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Silly thread, really...

I'm never really a big fan of Serena, but it just so happens that in addition to being one of the best women ever to pick up a racket, she is, I'd say, consistently the very best server. She has served superbly this tournament, so some lapses on return and the odd strange error off the ground haven't meant anything much - but it doesn't really follow that she's been playing horribly aside from the serve. Serena's serve is always at least good, it's just that when she is serving as excellently as this tournament, she wins so many free points that there are simply less pounding baseline rallies to be impressed by. Also, probably she has slightly less rhythm in a way, since the play is broken up more for her too, I suppose. Can't really make any criticism of her for serving so optimally... it's totally beneficial to her to have all these "cheap" points, so, like any sane person, she's going to hope to serve as well as possible, and to hell with anyone not impressed by the appeal of her game as a result.

Tennisstar86
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
so serena should miss more serves so YOU can see her ground game? :lol:

well, her ground game was problematic..... I mean, if you take away the Aces and the double faults (the serve) her Winner to Double Fault ratio was 11-12. People say Serena was not nice to Mari, but the truth is she didnt play that well with those stats. just served well.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM
who the hell cares...take away some players' fh winners and their bh stats are shit

serve is part of the game...if not you'd play drop the ball rally tennis, and guess what? serena has had matches where her serve lapsed and a certain ground game of hers had to bail her out

to say that without her serve she'd lose is perposterous

Rafito.
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:25 AM
It's such a boring game.

debby
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I love the OP. :lol: Such a drama queen when it comes to Sharapova (well I should not talk about this :rolls: )

Leo_DFP
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:26 AM
She served better in AO 08 (until that abortion of a match against Jankovic) and the first 2/3 of this eyar's AO.

This. :lol: good description of the JJ match. But before that in her first four rounds, which included wins over Azarenka and Vaidisova, her serving was.... out of this world. When she's got the service rhythm there's only a couple girls on tour who can touch her.

Vikapower
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM

This. I hope we never reach in a stage where women's game will only be ace, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace if so WTA will just be a pale copy of ATP only with way more variety and shot arsenal for the men. :sad:

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
It's such a boring game.
The object of the game is to win, not to entertain the public. If you don't like it, don't watch.

Mina Vagante
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:06 AM
It's such a boring game.

It's basically a better version of Maria's :weirdo:

homogenius
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Same thing was said as a joke last year after her match against Elena here.In the latter stages of let say the last 4 slams, Serena has been struggling with her ground game (and even her ROS)against other players.
Serve (and fight)is what really won her matches like the SF of Wimbly last year, the matches against Li and Azarenka at the AO this year etc...

That being said, the comparison with Karlovic is laughable.

Serena y Monica
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:50 AM
It's basically a better version of Maria's :weirdo:

So this! It's a better version of Maria's Vika's and everyother power player on the tour...thus this thread:tape:

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:06 AM
It's such a boring game.Oh dont be so bitter :lol:
You knew yesterday Maria never had a chance against Serena, on this surface. Why so salty now?

Serenita
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Oh dont be so bitter :lol:
You knew yesterday Maria never had a chance against Serena, on this surface. Why so salty now?
:lol:

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Just let me understand this.
Some Maria fans have been complaining the last 3 years that her serve has deserted her.
Now that she is serving better, instead of encouraging her to keep improving, they are attacking the best sever in the game that everyone is trying to emulate because she serve so well.

WS Sisters, so many battles to fight, so many people with diverse demand to satisfy.

If the play well it is not good for the game
If they serve well, crucial on grass, then their matches become boring because it is not fair to the hapless opponent
If they strive to get to the final while ranked/seeded 1 & 2, then it is bad for the game
If they play few tournaments and win, it is because they rest while other girls are killing themselves
If they play a little more and win, it is not good for the game to win everything because the fans will be bored of seeing the same people win all he timeJust what is wrong with people?

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:27 AM
This topic takes the cake:lol: Serena is being criticized for serving so well:lol: On one hand the former greats of the game are applauding her for it and on the other wannabees tennis players, trying to show how knowledgeable they are, are finding fault with it.:eek:

This is the best I tell you:lol:

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Oh dont be so bitter :lol:

Never had a chance against Serena period.

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Well I like MS, so I didnt wanna be that candid :lol:

friendsita
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:15 AM
i like the aces... and not she's not becaming karlovic

kickserve
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Am I reading this thread right?

Are people actually complaining that Serena serves too big?

:weirdo: Only on Tennisforum.

Hopefully Serena is inspiring up and coming girls to see how tennis is supposed to be played. Your service game is an advantage, not the crutch it has become to plethora girls on tour.
Besides, this is grass. You will hit more aces.

Serena is an ALL-ROUNDED player. Great serve, great groundies.

Please stop the madness.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Some Maria fans have been complaining the last 3 years that her serve has deserted her.
Now that she is serving better, instead of encouraging her to keep improving, they are attacking the best sever in the game everyone is trying to emulate because she serve too well.

WS Sisters, so many battles to fight, so many people with diverse

If they serve well, crucial on grass, then their matches become boring because it is not fair to the hapless opponent
If they strive to get to the final while ranked/seeded 1 & 2, then it is bad for the game
If they play few tournaments and win, it is because they rest while other girls are killing themselves
If they play a little more and win, it is not good for the game to win everything because the fans will be bored of seeing the same people win all he time
Just what is wrong with people?

:lol: What can u do? Seems when your name is Williams you just can't win. In a world when everybody is complaining that the women can't serve...you got one who's untouchable on serve, and it still ain't good?

beriadan
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
serena is nothing without serve, and serve is the cheapest weapon in tennis, makes me want to puke, she is the least asethetially and technically pleasing player, does nothing for the game except hog the slams

kickserve
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:49 AM
serena is nothing without serve, and serve is the cheapest weapon in tennis, makes me want to puke, she is the least asethetially and technically pleasing player, does nothing for the game except hog the slams

Apparently Maria is nothing without her serve either. Do we need to revisit her embarassing losses to nobodies over the past couple years?

The serve is the BIGGEST weapon in tennis and HUGE kudos to Serena on developing a SOLID service action that is aesthetically pleasing to watch than watching Maria throw out her wide rotator cuffs on her serve.

WHy don't you lean something about tennis before posting silly boy!

Rafito.
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:51 AM
So this! It's a better version of Maria's Vika's and everyother power player on the tour...thus this thread:tape:

:unsure: Vika's serve doesnt have much power at all compared to everyone else. So putting her in that sentence just didnt make sense.

Bijoux0021
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Sharapova is nothing without her serve either. So why are you bashing Serena? :confused:

Mugria
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Sharapova is nothing without her serve either. So why are you bashing Serena? :confused:

Actually, Maria had pretty decent results last year while serving huge amounts of DF's. The only difference is that Serena's serve rarely breaks down and not to the extent of 20+ doubles.

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Actually, Maria had pretty decent results last year while serving huge amounts of DF's. The only difference is that Serena's serve rarely breaks down and not to the extent of 20+ doubles.
For the purpose of this thread, do you want Serena to move toward Maria's level: "serving huge amount of double faults"?

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM
You are mad, childish, irrational.
But I bet you don't even know it.

Mugria
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
For the purpose of this thread, do you want Serena to move toward Maria's level: "serving huge amount of double faults"?

I'm actually perfectly fine with Serena serving well especially since poor serving and double faults aren't exactly great for women's tennis.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
:lol: Keep crying a river haters. The serve is the most important weapon in tennis. if you can't serve, then u nowhere.

tennisbum79
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
:lol: Keep crying a river haters. The serve is the most important weapon in tennis. if you can't serve, then u nowhere.

This is nothing new, here is a precedent about Jack Johnson, American heavy weight boxer.

Johnson's boxing style was very distinctive. He developed a more patient approach than was customary in that day: playing defensively, waiting for a mistake, and then capitalizing on it. Johnson always began a bout cautiously, slowly building up over the rounds into a more aggressive fighter. He often fought to punish his opponents rather than knock them out, endlessly avoiding their blows and striking with swift counters. He always gave the impression of having much more to offer and, if pushed, he could punch powerfully.

Johnson's style was very effective, but it was criticized in the press as being cowardly and devious. By contrast, World Heavyweight Champion "Gentleman" Jim Corbett (http://www.tennisforum.com/wiki/James_J._Corbett), who was white, had used many of the same techniques a decade earlier, and was praised by the press as "the cleverest man in boxing".[ (http://www.tennisforum.com/#cite_note-Burns-0)

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM

well, her ground game was problematic..... I mean, if you take away the Aces and the double faults (the serve) her Winner to Double Fault ratio was 11-12. People say Serena was not nice to Mari, but the truth is she didnt play that well with those stats. just served well.

This. I hope we never reach in a stage where women's game will only be ace, ace, ace, service winner, ace, ace if so WTA will just be a pale copy of ATP only with way more variety and shot arsenal for the men. :sad:http://i46.tinypic.com/aev5sz.gif

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
This is nothing new, here is a precedent about Jack Johnson, American heavy weight boxer.

Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

Preach!

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Makes you wonder: How many tourneys..let alone majors has Karlovic won?

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
This is such an insult to Serena.

As if her ONLY weapon is her serve? ROLLS EYES!!!

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Makes you wonder: How many tourneys..let alone majors has Karlovic won?

Well if he was playing with womens he would have won more than 12 :lol: I'm kidding :lol: but I told you I was pissed off yesterday I take it back please mods close this thread.

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Well if he was playing with womens he would have won more than 12 :lol: I'm kidding :lol: but I told you I was pissed off yesterday I take it back please mods close this thread.

:lol: :yeah: No problemos..

Rome
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:06 PM

I like to know what sharapova did when she played Serena?

Rome
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM

Wrong look at the stats again from the Maria Match. If you take away the aces both hit they have about the same amount of winners just saying.

Rome
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Now that she is serving better, instead of encouraging her to keep improving, they are attacking the best sever in the game that everyone is trying to emulate because she serve so well.

WS Sisters, so many battles to fight, so many people with diverse demand to satisfy.

If they play a little more and win, it is not good for the game to win everything because the fans will be bored of seeing the same people win all he timeJust what is wrong with people?

The people in the espn booth

Rome
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM

You mad Bro?

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Her serve numbers put her 12th on the Men's list. Pretty damn impressive. That's probably why her shoulder hurts. You all know this can't continue. She's on a roll.

If her opponents cannot return her serve (and by the way, it isn't the fastest serves they are missing), then they ought to work on improving their return of serve and improving their own serves.

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:51 AM
Her serve numbers put her 12th on the Men's list. Pretty damn impressive. That's probably why her shoulder hurts. You all know this can't continue. She's on a roll.

If her opponents cannot return her serve (and by the way, it isn't the fastest serves they are missing), then they ought to work on improving their return of serve and improving their own serves.

Exactly...instead of their fans crying about Serena's serve. :lol: