PDA

View Full Version : What Do Caro & Aga's Losses Today Say About Future of Wimbledon After Williams Retire

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Even though they are the highest ranked players of the next generation, I don't think Caro or Aga will ever win Wimbledon unless they severely change their style of play :sad:

They were beaten easily by ballbashers today :tape:

Think after Williams retire, Wimbledon will be won by Kanepi, Kvitova, Sharapova, Kelly Chang and Azarenka :eek:

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM
That if Clijsters and Henin stick around until Venus/Serena retire they may finally take home the trophy.

Optima
Jajaloo will win it.

madmax
Even though they are the highest ranked players of the next generation, I don't think Caro or Aga will ever win Wimbledon unless they severely change their style of play :sad:

Think after Williams retire, Wimbledon will be won by Kanepi, Kvitova, Sharapova, Kelly Chang and Azarenka :eek:

and how is that a bad thing exactly?:lol:Do you want Sunshine to win Wimby thanks to her opponents unforced errors?

tennnisfannn
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
it will be Mariadon

fouc
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Why didn't you include Na in the list of possible winners?

CloudAtlas
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
There will probably be loads of random shitty players winning it ala Roland Garros.

SAISAI-GOAT
Why didn't you include Na in the list of possible winners?

well I would include her but I am not sure if she will play longer than Serena :shrug:

tennisbum79

I had posted a thread on this topic few days back. Unfortunately it was clsoed when zealous posters started posting Isner-Mahut scores.

Interestingly enough, Justine was making the point the Williams juggernot at the top of tennis was a very big challenge for the new comers.

Essentially she said it explained why you don't see the new generation having break through.
The level of competition set by Venus and Serena is so high, that Kim, Maria and herself(Justine) have to constantly work to keep up.
SAnd these veteran toeghter make it difficult for the generation

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Aga and Caro mya be ranked high, but given their style of play, they do necessarily represent the new generation.

In fact, they are supposed to lose at this level and time: when they meet power players
So this was not a surprise.

Mixal
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
These topics about "after WS retire?" are getting boring.

Why not just wait a couple of years (hopefully more!:angel:) until they actually retire or drop a level of play?

Who knows where these two will be then...? ;)

Their losses say that their opponents today played better, anyway.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Williams sisters make life tough for teenagers: Henin

http://stbjp.msn.com/i/76/6358333FFE0AE66A9F8B667BFF13D.jpg

London: The Williams sisters' vice-like grip on the women's game and a generation of players that have been carried to greater heights by their exploits has made life tough for the aspiring teen-ager, says Justine Henin.

The 28-year-old Belgian, who won seven Grand Slam titles before taking 18 months out of the game when aged 25, said the extraordinary level of skills and fitness attained by Venus and Serena has made it hard for teens to make the breakthrough.

The women's elite used to be peppered with youngsters who were barely out of school before they were competing for majors, but Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki is now the only woman under 20 inside the world's top 30.

Henin returned from an early retirement to reach the Australian Open final in January, 27-year-old Kim Clijsters completed her own fairytale return to win the US Open after a two-and-a-half-year absence while Serena and Venus, 28 and 30 respectively, are ranked one and two in the world.

"It's been an amazing generation; Serena, Venus, Kim, a lot of other players that are playing probably their best tennis maybe a little later," Henin told reporters.

"Serena and Venus brought a lot to the game because they really pushed us physically and mentally to get better. And I think they did an amazing job for women's tennis, as we really had to get better after them.

"So it was interesting. Now we'll see. A lot of the young players are very close to winning. But we'll see where it's going to happen and when."
Source: Reuters

source: http://sports.in.msn.com/tennis/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4082903

miffedmax
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
A pregnant Lena D. will come out of retirement and finally win Wimbledon, and her gut busting scream will induce labor immediately thereafter.

RenaSlam.
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I feel like they'll be around at least another 3 years. Hopefully by then, there is a teenage/early 20 something year old GOAT in the making to prevent Enna from winning Wimbledon :devil:

Wiggly
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Well, Aga and Caroline are showing to young girls that you can be a top 10 player even if you're not powerful at all. In the same time, that game won't be enough to win win you Slams or any big events.

And if you're a brainless ballbasher, you'll get some OMG wins but will lose to mediocre pushers quite often.

The WS should be copied by all girls.
They have the serve, the movement and the perfect groundies : hard but more precise/hard than I'm-closing-my-eyes-and-it-will-hopefully-land-inside-the-lines/hard.

That's the future.

Vincey!
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters and upcoming juniors like Robson and Bouchard :angel: are going to dominate :shrug:

sammy01
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
it doesn't look good, the 2012 US open after the olympics could see the 4 greatest players of this generation (WS, kim and henin) all hang up their rackets at the same time. that is a bleak thought for womens tennis.