View Full Version : Wimbledon R16:Serena bts Maria Sharapova 7-6(9),6-4

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lin Lin
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Rena:yeah:
Maria:hug:

azinna
Maria played well the 1st set, some steely stuff to counter her own low 1st-serve percentage. Though Serena's return game was subpar.

Serena's game needs some sharpening. 1st serve was an A/A+. Mental an A. Everything else was trying to work the curve and catch a B+.... Still enough to win the tournament.

tennisbum79
Good match

RenaSlam.
Step.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Maria had 3 set points in the first set. :tears:

Good fight anyhow. Here's looking forward to a really good season.

Jajaloo
Serena served 19 aces :eek:

Go get the championship Rena! ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
:bounce:

Drake1980
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM

strictennis
Was routing for MS

Human Nature
Serena's return game was awful..hope she improves .

narutos
What a beatdown.

Vartan
:( Better luck next time Sharpie!

mckyle.
One break was all it took :( Better than most expected, but still not a win.

Time to say bye-bye to Michael Joyce and hire a serving coach.

Huntress55
Maria :sad::hug:

Makes it only one player left for me to cheer for, awesome.

pollison
Maria definitely deserves credit but Serena...what a champion
The serve was crucial in the 2nd set, she used it sooo well!

nevetssllim
Yeah, 1st serve is an A/A+. Mental is an A. Everything else is trying to work the curve and catch a B+.

I'd agree with that. I'm glad she's playing doubles so she can work on the return.

Mynarco
Masha, that dumb selection at TB 1-2* proved fatal.

jefrilibra
YES SERENA WILLIAMS!!!!!

You hung tough babygirl!

Serve was near impeccable!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

tonybotz
1set was entertaining stuff. never felt like maria had a real chance, the biggest difference from when she was 17 to now is her movement. she's like a lamp post out there.

doni1212
Serena wasn't good at all and still won in straights! :worship: Please work on that ROS!!! 19 Aces was the only highlight!

Keep it up!

Drake1980

s_j
Was Serena shaking her head as she walked to the net? That's so rude. I was actually going to compliment her on a great match, but she's still an ass.

EDIT:
Reporter: "Champion's performance today, Serena."
Serena: "Hmmm yeah... I guess... I definitely expect a tougher match against Na Li."

Do a running jump, Serena, and give Maria credit when credit's due.

LCS
Nice match. Sorry Maria couldn't grab the 1st set :awww:

Sp!ffy
Fuck.....too good from Serena's serve. Maria fought and that's all I wanted.

fouc
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, how disrespectful was that from Serena at the net? :o Hitting the net with her racket and shaking her head right before the handshake? I don't get it.

Keegan
Fucks sake.

Congratulations Serena.

LDF
Great effort from Maria today :hug: Just let down by one very dodgy game in the 2nd set and generally a few too many errors as the match went on. But I did not expect her to get 10 games before this match started!

Congrats to Serena on some more fantastic serving :yeah:

AnywhereButHome
Serena = HOT MESS :o :help:
Maria :hug:

Rafito.
Well done Maria! Good sights for the future.
Amazing match, Got to respect Serena's serving without it, she would have had no chance getting her out of trouble everywhere.

Acinolbaj
this match was just WOW.

so proud to be Masha fan, she played just stunning. those 3 SP are just :o. but amazing match from both.

congratz Serena.

saul1333
Good match :yeah:

joćo.
Expected :rolleyes:

Tennisstar86
19 aces.... wow If her serves ever fails her though, shes in trouble.

friendsita
not great match for Ree, but her Aces saved the day!
ohhhhhhhhhh Maria!!

Mashabator
LOL Serenas serve always saves her, Maria just couldnt consolidate. oh well!

tonybotz

yea everytime they showed joyce i kept thinking the same thing. he needs to go. she's too comfortable with him and nothing has improved.

Mikey.
Poor Maria. :sad: Definitely should have won that 1st set. :tears:

Ellery
Well done Serena :yeah:

Adal
3 set points in that first set :sobbing: If only, if only.
Still a solid game overall. Still needs to work on her serve, on her returns a lot to get back where she used to be. Definitely an improvement from her previous matches though.

Congrats, Serena!

tennisfanxx
Sharapova out in another slam before the quarters. :bounce:

AnywhereButHome
Serena = HOT MESS :o :help:
Maria :hug:

Slutati
Serena's serve is fucking ridiculous. Jesus. :rolls: Well done and win the whole thing!
Maria keep this form up please!

gc-spurs
Serena, damn what an acer.

Maria duffed some really vital moments, but it was a great watch in the first set.

Chakvenus
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
what a first set!!
congrats to both girls for keeping it close.
well done Serena! (now trash Li!)

narutos

We ALL know that.

mckyle.

And get Yuri back in the picture. Dads like Richard and Yuri don't fuck around, and maybe Maria needs him pushing her

young_gunner913
Thank goodness. MUCH tougher then I would've thought. BTW, TB went to 11-9 not 10-8...

tennisbum79
This Maria best showing against Serena in a long time.

it also gives her a good mesasure of where her game is in her comeback

winone23
Well done Serena!!!

Vee Williams
Maria's serve was on for the most part, but Serena's return game was awful.
Congrats to Serena :worship:

Arnian
Maria did well to keep it close

olivero
well done Rena :worship:
but please pick it up against Na!!!

Polikarpov
Serena's return game was awful..hope she improves .

Maria served well.

LudwigDvorak
Respect for these two players.

I felt Serena came out going for 100% on everything really with something to prove from 2004.

I still don't want to get my hopes up for Sharapova because this was a no pressure match for her. It is a lot easier for her to play like that when everyone was backing Serena to win. I'd like to see her do that in other matches.

Still, grass has never really been the surface for Maria. Given how many players tank the US Hard Season it will probably be her and Clijsters as the highest point earners if she can play similar to this on a better surface for her game.

mdterp01
Waiting for the first tool to say "If it wasn't for Serena's serve...." :rolleyes:

GO SERENA!!!! REVENGE FOR '04!! Didn't even play great and won in straights!!

Maria...hats off!! You gave your all in that first set and had your set point chances but Serena was not going to be denied today!!! Maria is well on her way back but still has some serving issues and her movement can really be exposed by someone like Serena. Good try but with that said...to the left to the left :wavey:

tennisbum79
Was routing for MS
You must have been watching something else

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Rena = Goat serve of the century :worship: If she keeps serving like she did today not even Vee or Kim will be able to beat her. Well done! :bounce:

Masha :hug: She played brilliantly during the 1st set. Hopefully she can keep improving ( especialy her serve) so she can get her ranking back inside the top 8 where it belongs :bounce:

Avid Merrion
:worship: Well done, Serena!!! :D

Belmont Lad
A battle of serves, won by Serena. Maria had her chances in the first, but a DF and a few loose points cost her that tiebreak, despite her set points she had. :fiery::sad: Tighter than I thought it would be. this title belongs to Serena if she keeps serving like that.

mdterp01
Was Serena shaking her head as she walked to the net? That's so rude. I was actually going to compliment her on a great match, but she's still an ass.

She was shaking her head because she was not happy with her play again. Get over yourself.

matty

Because she didn't feel she played well----she would know, wouldn't she?

madmax
Maria's game still not completely there - two shitty service games decided the match unfortunately...wasted set points didn't help either, but her best part of the season is just coming up. Tough draw too - no time to tune the game playing the scrubs in the first 3 rounds. Serena's serve bailed her ass out once again though...

SerenaSlam
serena williams and her serve. 19 aces. that sums up this match. the rest was blah

ElusiveChanteuse
Not a beatdown but oh well. #13 coming up!:dance:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
lmao at people panties up their asses over serena shaking her head at her OWN play :rolls:

tonybotz
serena looks fit, eager, and is serving well. Lucky number 13 is coming her way!

Mashabator
Someone kill me, those SP.

homogenius
never in doubt.Not a high quality match despite some good serving.
Serena's ROS was way off and she was too passive at times.
As for Maria : good fight but some really dumb decisions/shot selection at the most important times :help:

Rome

WTF are you talking about her serve was on fire for most of the match.

toby345
Shame they had to meet early. The last two grand slams Maria had bad luck with the draws. :sobbing:

Serenita
Serena at the net. :rolleyes:

Shame, I had respect for Serena but not anymore.

I never had respect for that screaming whale of yours:angel:

ce
Serena :hearts:
well done Maria, you played well

narutos
If it wasn't for Serena's seve she would have lost 6164.

Amalgamate
Tiebreak was 11-9.

Serena is pissed with how she played :lol: Her serve saved her. Rest of her game was shit.

Rafito.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Serena is a very rude lady. Shaking her head all the time.

LudwigDvorak
yea everytime they showed joyce i kept thinking the same thing. he needs to go. she's too comfortable with him and nothing has improved.

I disagree. Sharapova has shown a lot of improvement in her volleying and ability up at the net in general. Her dropshot has been added to her weaponry, even if it is not fully reliable.

I think being stripped of her serve has made her improve other aspects of her game, and if she ever were to gain back her old level she'd be a much better player. The real thing Maria needs to work on his moving better and obviously still the serve. She returned as well as Serena let her with that serve.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Serena's serve :eek:

If it wasn't for Serena's superior serve Maria would've won this :lol:

heart
too many ue's from both:help: but there was definitely some good rallies esp. in the 1st.
serena's serve:eek:

Julian.
Well done Serena. :D

At least you managed to make it competitive this time Masha :hug: Better luck with the draw next time.

cellophane
What? Serena didn't play great? I thought she played well.

Really good match.

Maria Croft
Maria, you're such an incredible fighter and that's why I will always stay a fan :hug:

Serena's serve is just insane, how can you beat someone who serves like that? Just crazy good stuff from her on serve.

Maria can only take good things away from this, watch out for her to do some massive damage this summer :yeah:

JamieOwen3
im happy for serena but i wish she wouldn't say she played badly because she was under pressure due to maria being the opponent and that's why she was going for more than she usually does because she had to. im extreamly proud of maria and i think serena will take home the trophy again.

Lachy
First of all congrats to Serena...her serve is amazing.

Secondly, Maria- you need to get like an electric-shock sensor thing for whenever you serve a double fault. Double faults in the tie-breaker and twice in a row to go down in the 2nd set- those were big turning points and to simply give it away was dissapointing.

Thirdly, some Rena fans should give Maria more credit, they were bashing her to death beforehand and she put up a valient effort today- really pushing Serena and making her work for it.

TheBoiledEgg
Masha :( :sad: :( had her chances in set 1
esp 4-4 0-30 and in TB :sad:

Shafanovic.
no matter how well she played. she didn't get the W.

k bye maria. maybe try again next year? or maybe not.

Daniel K
Wow, how disrespectful was that from Serena at the net? :o Hitting the net with her racket and shaking her head right before the handshake? I don't get it.

Agreed. Very disrespectful.

Decent match and great drama in the first set. Second set was only going one way after Serena got the break.

doktor
Serverena... Wow, bad luck Maria but its nice to see you being competitive again at the ones that count

Bayo
Five pages of replies in as many minutes. This is why tennis needs Maria back at the top along with Serena, so that they play a lot more of these battles in latter stages.

The first set was awesome. It was a shame either had to lose it.

Amalgamate
Serena at the net. :rolleyes:

Shame, I had respect for Serena but not anymore.

:lol: Did you see her post match interview?

mdterp01

Yeah...no need to look any further than MARIA for that!! :wavey:

matty
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Good grief--she tapped the net--she looked like she was thinking about something--why make such a big deal out of it. She wasn't happy with the way she played. Obviously a 12 time slam champion has higher standards for her level of play then we do.

maddogz48
Nice win Serena. SharaP put up a fight though which was entertaining.
At least Sharapova's serve seems to be improving, she gave Serena some problems to return her serve.

mckyle.
WTF are you talking about her serve was on fire for most of the match.

Yeah, 7 double faults = on fire!

s_j
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
She was shaking her head because she was not happy with her play again. Get over yourself.

To do that right in front of your opponent's face??? You get over yourself. If any other player did that I bet you'd think it were rude. It was almost like she's saying "I still beat you, but ugh, I am disgusted with my play". That's fine that she thinks that but she doesn't need to do it right after matchpoint.

Renalicious
Maria played really, really, good. So very well done and I think she proved a lot of people wrong about their expectations on the scoreline.

Serena....that ROS is disgusting, going for broke on everything. :o Ground game was also very patchy. Serve and mental toughness as always, were on full display. :worship: Overall she needs to get better, but good enough today.

Coke Zero
It was an exciting match, but as another poster said somewhere there was an air of inevitability to it that dampened the atmosphere for me. Serena was always going to win this match, I was almost 100% positive of that.

Very promising signs for Maria, some of those BH returns on the ad court were phenomenal but the BH looked very frail at times IMO. Serena could have made things much easier on herself if she hadn't gone for so much on her returns. You could just see she wanted to come out and blow Sharapova away completely (ala AO 2007) but it just wasn't clicking today. So many missed returns, purely from going for way too much than necessary. Win's a win, though.

Vee Williams
Shame they had to meet early. The last two grand slams Maria had bad luck with the draws. :sobbing:

It's not about bad luck really. Her ranking hasn't improved much for the last year; she is bound to meet a higher seed early in a tournament like this. Not to mention that, if you are going to win a tournament, you need to go past all seven players on your way, no matter when you face them.

Rome

EDIT:
Serena: "Hmmm yeah... I guess... I definitely expect a tougher match against Na Li."

I think she was shaking her head at the fact she think she played bad that was at her box i might add. TBH Maria Serve well for most of the match. And hit blazeing return winners and shots when she could.

spiritedenergy
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
total ownage as usual now. Next! (Li in QF, I'm scared:unsure:)

JamieOwen3
one break in the second set is all it took and serena didn't win the game maria broke herself which is more dissapointing as 2 DF and errors oh well take this form to the us open maria apart from the double faults ;)

John.
Serena :cheer: Keep going

Great effort from Maria - Keep that form up and get back to the top ten were you belong please

Mrs. Dimitrova
I never had respect for that screaming whale of yours:angel:

And you think I fucking care? :spit:

s_j

EDIT:

Who else saw the post-match interview?

Acinolbaj
How can you say Serena didn“t play well? she played the best she can, just Maria was so good, that“s all. Serena remembered the 2004 final and she is still afraid of Maria. Without this serving Serena would loose this match easily.

and if Maria had a AO 08 form, she would probably killed Serena today.

respect for Maria. :devil:

Joe.
Erghh Masha.
I only watched the 2nd set and I really wasn't impressed with either player. Masha was just eww for most of that set. :( When she got back to deuce at 1-3 (i think) she then put two 2nd serve returns into the net. :o But it's still good to see her pushing top players but yeah...that 2nd set was just :unsure:

Serve was kinda shakey today but it did get her a few free points....onto the US Hardcourt season we go. :)

Slampova
Lol at all the peeps saying Maria would get a double bagel. And can people please stop saying now Maria's afraid to face the top players...she was hitting return winners of Serenas serve in the first set ffs.

Maria, well played and you did your best. Just a pity you couldn't convert one of those set points in the first :hug:
Those two doubles in that game at 1-1 were also very costly :(

Serena :bowdown:
Absolutely GOAT serving. 19 aces. Amaze.
Just played so well, I'm not even angry you beat Maria just make sure you win the tournament :inlove:

KoOlMaNsEaN
A Great Intense match, Hopefully they get to meet more often in the next couple of years. We need more of this

dsanders06
Serena had absolutely no answers to Maria's first serve - Serena got lucky that Maria was only landing 45% of them in.

chris_d08
WOW are u guys serious about serena being rude...have u guys not seen maria's matches when shes fistpumping and shaking her fist right before the handshake and shaking her fist at her coaches box...if serena was rude for shaking her head then so is maria for rubbing it in when she shakes her fist at the handshake

gmokb
Who needs anything else with serves like that?:cool:

Well done Serena:worship::worship:

Dandy_Warhol
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
congrats Serena :)

at least Maria put up a fight :hearts:

ptitnavet
First time of the tournament Serena has to play a good server (not like De Brito, Chakvetadze or Cibulkova) :shrug:
Serena :yeah:
Maria :hug: keep improving your game

toby345
It's not about bad luck really. Her ranking hasn't improved much for the last year; she is bound to meet a higher seed early in a tournament like this. Not to mention that, if you are going to win a tournament, you need to go past all seven players on your way, no matter when you face them.

But it seems unfair when you see some other 4th round matches or even quarterfinals :sobbing:

Mrs. Dimitrova
:lol: Did you see her post match interview?

"I definitely expect a tougher match against Li Na." :rolleyes:

OK, I've never disliked you Serena but.. :(

claypova
:hysteric: that 1st set.

she pushes henin on clay & serena on grass. :hearts: things can only get better

Renalicious
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Good grief--she tapped the net--she looked like she was thinking about something--why make such a big deal out of it. She wasn't happy with the way she played. Obviously a 12 time slam chmapion has hired standards for her level of play then we do.

People will do anything to say something bad about Serena. :lol: That was literally nothing, omfg. It was a nice handshake, they smiled and clearly no bad blood there.

Mina Vagante
Serena had absolutely no answers to Maria's first serve - Serena got lucky that Maria was only landing 45% of them in.

That's why Serena broke her twice ? :rolleyes:

CloudAtlas
And you think I fucking care? :spit:

:haha: :spit: :haha:

Adal
LOL at some people acting like Maria played the match of her life. Yeah she played much better than her recent matches but she's still NOWHERE near her best or even better level.

Still a lot of work needs to be done on her serve. Low first serve percentage, still quite a lot of double faults.

narutos
Maria played really, really, good. So very well done and I think she proved a lot of people wrong about their expectations on the scoreline.

Serena....that ROS is disgusting, going for broke on everything. :o Ground game was also very patchy. Serve and mental toughness as always, were on full display. :worship: Overall she needs to get better, but good enough today.

Sharapova 's serve was shit 7 DF including 2 in the TB.

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
It was an intense match in terms of drama but, except for the serving and a few choice rallies in the first set, the quality was mediocre.

That said, I was impressed by Maria. She's definitely not at her best but she's made some great strides in the past few months towards it.

gmokb

Yeah, we know that the WS are only lucky to win their matches:rolleyes:

Rome

Why do people kid them self she has improved and was a little unlucky to not have won the first set.

Sp!ffy
:hysteric: that 1st set.

she pushes henin on clay & serena on grass. :hearts: things can only get better

Yes. It's time for Maria to shine this hardcourt season.

Mrs. Dimitrova
I hope Serena gives Maria some credit in her press conference. :shrug:

tennisbum79
this match was just WOW.

so proud to be Masha fan, she played just stunning. those 3 SP are just :o. but amazing match from both.

congratz Serena.
She should be proud indeed.

That first set serves and returns show brilliance of 2004 final.

This match should give a good measure of her progress in her quest for comeback.

Vee Williams
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
But it seems unfair when you see some other 4th round matches or even quarterfinals :sobbing:

It was unfair that Petra Kvitova was in Azarenka and Wozniacki's draw too and that Kanepi had to play the 6th seed in the first round. As fans, we tend to overlook the other player's 'lack of luck', but at the end of the day it's all about winning 7 matches, no matter who's on the other side.

serenafann
Well done Serena,I love you,keep it up and stay focused.

dsanders06
That's why Serena broke her twice ? :rolleyes:

In both games where she got broken, Maria had two DFs. Serena hit about 6 winners in all of Maria's service games combined.

Renalicious
Without this serving Serena would loose this match easily.

This argument. :lol: :lol:

Without Maria's groundstrokes, Maria would lose so easily. :weirdo: Without Maria's arms, Maria would lose so easily. :weirdo:

Anyway, you have nothing to be bitter about Maria greatly improved over her 3r match and she will do really well at the USOS. :wavey:

Lachy
DF DF DF...Maria pleeeeasssse stop DFing it's killing me :sobbing:

Thanx4nothin
Maria served better than I've seen her since she won the 08 aussie open, but Serena's return games was off for most of the match, either going for broke when it wasn't on or just getting all caught up.

19 aces, this serve just gets better and better.

Lol @ Serena shaking her head at the net, but it's all mental with these 2 now and I think Serena really wanted to show Maria and us that she expects to beat Maria easily.

SERENA was gracious about Maria in the post match interview, the bitter grapes in this thread are fairly pointless...the better player won, expectedly. NA lI should be a tougher match, Serena has had more trouble with Na recently than with Maria and Na is into the quarters.

Great to see Maria back towards her best, some of those backhands were :worship:

Shafanovic.
LOL at some people acting like Maria played the match of her life. Yeah she played much better than her recent matches but she's still NOWHERE near her best or even better level.

Still a lot of work needs to be done on her serve. Low first serve percentage, still quite a lot of double faults.

i agree.

doesn't matter if maria played the best match of her life or not.

if she doesn't win, she doesn't win. they don't care if it's a 0-6 0-6 loss or a 6-7 7-6 68-70 loss. if you didn't win, you didn't win :shrug:

mdterp01
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:44 PM
WOW are u guys serious about serena being rude...have u guys not seen maria's matches when shes fistpumping and shaking her fist right before the handshake and shaking her fist at her coaches box...if serena was rude for shaking her head then so is maria for rubbing it in when she shakes her fist at the handshake

Well you know...misery loves company. They should be more mad that Maria didn't win the first set instead of trying to find something to diss Serena about. Bitter b***** flock together :wavey:

Kitten63
Congrats, Serena.

Great effort,Masha :hug:

.Andrew.
To do that right in front of your opponent's face??? You get over yourself. If any other player did that I bet you'd think it were rude. It was almost like she's saying "I still beat you, but ugh, I am disgusted with my play". That's fine that she thinks that but she doesn't need to do it right after matchpoint.

I have to agree. And I'm not a Serena hater by any means. :shrug: She did the same against Cibulkova.

Anyway, I don't think Serena played horribly as she may think. She couldn't play her best when someone is pushing you as hard as Maria was. :shrug: Serena's serve was FANTASTIC. Her ROS and groundstrokes weren't great, but again I think you have to credit Maria for that. :shrug: Maria served great at times (though obviously there were some problems, the DF in the tiebreak and that one poor service game from Maria in the 2nd) and Maria was playing better off the ground than Serena for the most part imo :shrug:

Rafito.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I hope Serena gives Maria some credit in her press conference. :shrug:

I doubt she will. She will blame the tough scoreline on her own bad play.

50Sense
Neither of them played all that well. There, it's settled.

Renalicious
Sharapova 's serve was shit 7 DF including 2 in the TB.

She hit about the same amount of unreturned serves as Serena up to midway through that second set. Yeah she crumbled a bit but she'll only learn.

Beat
i agree.

doesn't matter if maria played the best match of her life or not.

if she doesn't win, she doesn't win. they don't care if it's a 0-6 0-6 loss or a 6-7 7-6 68-70 loss. if you didn't win, you didn't win :shrug:

they do, believe me, they most certainly do.

Serenita
:lol:

Lucky? no1of the world brought her C game and won the match comfortably. I mean Pova was playing her A game, and she lost.

Vee Williams
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM

And she will be right. It's no secret that when she plays well other players have no chance.

Sp!ffy

I think she was getting intimidated by Serena's serve and just tried to outserve her. If Maria didnt go for her 2nd serves on some points, she would have lost the point. So, I'm glad Maria went for big 2nd serves but not in the damn TB T__T

tennisbum79
Despite this is the best she has served in long time.
She brought heat and placement, although it leveled off a little in the 2nd set.

I understand your dissapointement, but you should be proud of her

Shafanovic.
they do, believe me, they most certainly do.

it doesn't, they're not going to put them through to the next round just for fighting.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Technically, her serve is now superb. However she's been approaching her serve in practice is clearly paying off - like I said, Serena had no answers to Maria's first serve today, and Maria's 2nd serve was great too. The only letdown was the DFs- which now come I think from nerves/pressure. It's been so long since she's regularly played these types of big matches, she's just out of practice on how to mentally approach them - letting your focus slip in the third game of the second set like she did today was a rookie mistake.

Slutiana
Maria can't be disappointed with that, even after the 3 set points. She seems to be slowly getting back to that elite level and I hope she gets a good draw at the US Open now. Her movement and anticipation was much better than in recent months and the forehand was much better in parts too. Serena served great and moved well but work has to be done on the rest of her game.

Really enjoyable match though. After Maria broke back til the end of the second set the match got so good and so intense. We need more of these, we really do.

Adal
Why are people so concerned with Serena giving Maria credit or not? Serena is well known for not giving her opponents credit and only being concerned about her own game and that's the attitude that got her to where she is.
I'm sure Maria doesn't care about that and she will just go and work on the aspects of her game that still need improvement.
I don't see what so important here.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
:lol:

Lucky? no1of the world brought her C game and won the match comfortably. I mean Pova was playing her A game, and she lost.

:lol: You really think Serena can hit winners off 115mph serves? Don't embarrass yourself.

Mina Vagante

She definitely will and she did the same in her interview after the match :rolleyes:

Mashabator
Just order a new serve Maria, or get a new coach :p

.Andrew.
I also thought Serena's tactics were a little bit questionable in this match. :p She tried to match Sharapova's pace and ultimately at times, she was losing a little bit of control that she needed on her groundstrokes. I think she'd been better off trying to mix it up with the speeds a little bit more and especially moving Sharapova around the court. She is looking as slow as ever. :tape: :lol:

Though I have to say, it was a high quality match. Very enjoyable. Beat Na Li now, Serena! :yeah:

adrovi
Masha :hug:

Sp!ffy
Well you know...misery loves company. They should be more mad that Maria didn't win the first set instead of trying to find something to diss Serena about. Bitter b***** flock together :wavey:

Seriously calm the fuck down. Give Maria some respect for at least trying and not just immediately coming here and saying her fans are bitches :rolleyes: People like you fucking think their favorite player is perfect in all aspects. Even if Serena would have went up to Maria and said "Yeah, I played like shit today and still won" you would still find some way to defend Serena.

Rome
If it wasn't for Serena's seve she would have lost 6164.

Had it not been for maria serve witch has improved a shit load this match would have been over in 45mins.:cuckoo:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Still not convinced that Maria can play like this consistently. The only times she's came out in this type of inspired form is

Henin at RG.
Serena at Wimbledon.

0 pressure, nothing to lose, no expectation situations.

If she starts playing like this some other matches then sure you can say something.

Rafito.
And she will be right. It's no secret that when she plays well other players have no chance.

Even if that's so, It's nice to give some credit to your opponent. But you know she wont because she's ignorant.

Sp!ffy
Had it not been for maria serve witch has improved a shit load this match would have been over in 45mins.:cuckoo:

Haha. Just ignore that argument, it doesnt make sense.

matty

Oh my--she didn't do it in front of Maria's face--you're exaggerating. They were both walking toward the net--she was probably thinking: "wow, I did not play/return/move very well and that was just too close"

noamgdi
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
serena :bounce:

mdterp01
Without this serving Serena would loose this match easily.

First of all, I don't understand how so many people can confuse 'lose' with 'loose'. Second of all, I'm tired of this dumb ass argument. I'm going to repeat what someone said in Serena's forum during the match. Why are people acting like the serve isn't part of tennis? Its as much a part of a player's game as their forehand, their backhand, their movement, their footwork. Its like saying a golfer would be crap if he didn't hit the ball long or putt well. This argument is dumb and old and tired and makes no damn sense whatsoever.

But, whatever ya need to make yourself feel better :wavey:

tennisbum79
Come on.
The WS Fans have given credit to Maria for her fight and good showing today.
Please do not ruine the relative detente

noamgdi
serena :bounce:

matty

Oh my--she didn't do it in front of Maria's face--you're exaggerating. They were both walking toward the net--she was probably thinking: "wow, I did not play/return/move very well and that was just too close"

Lachy
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Despite this is the best she has served in long time.
She brought heat and placement, although it leveled off a little in the 2nd set.

I understand your dissapointement, but you should be proud of her

For sure :) She did extremely well. Just a matter of making sure she doesn't give away free points in those sorts of situations, especially a couple in a row.

Sp!ffy
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Just order a new serve Maria, or get a new coach :p

Mmk so we all know who didnt watch the match here.

Vee Williams
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Even if that's so, It's nice to give some credit to your opponent. But you know she wont because she's ignorant.

Said the bitter fan :wavey: ... about the world No. 1 who won the match :)

mdterp01
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Seriously calm the fuck down. Give Maria some respect for at least trying and not just immediately coming here and saying her fans are bitches :rolleyes: People like you fucking think their favorite player is perfect in all aspects. Even if Serena would have went up to Maria and said "Yeah, I played like shit today and still won" you would still find some way to defend Serena.

If you look at my very first post in this thread, I did give Maria respect. She played wonderfully and I think Serena is arrogant to think that a player is just going to roll over for her. Sharapova absolutely deserves credit, but this BS about disrespect at the net is just that....BS!!! If Sharapova's first serve % was higher and she didn't double fault at crucial times, could've been a different result. But thats what happened. Serena's return of serve was crap, but Maria did play better than most expected. I, for one, wasn't expecting a blowout the way others were. Maria is on her way up and thats good for the game.

Thanx4nothin
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Obviously you have no coverage of the post match interview. She said TWICE Maria played really well.

What exactly do you want? Serena to say she thought Maria should have won?

Get over yourself....

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM

I was actually kidding.

madmax
Serve was a key for both players,as expected - Masha threw in two crappy service games and they cost her the match eventually...she also made some crucial mistakes with her groundies and shot selection (especially in a tiebreak). She's still a work in progress on her way back to being a top player, I'm just glad her favorite part of the season is just coming up.

Mashabator
Mmk so we all know who didnt watch the match here.

Sorry i mean order a new 2nd serve 7 dfs, especially dfs at 9-9 in a TB doesnt cut it.

Rome
Yeah, 7 double faults = on fire!

Do you know how many Doubles Serena hit? She hit 5 two less than maria

gc-spurs
Good serving from Maria, just unfortunate with those DFs. I feel the need to be bitter right now, but I can't really. Didn't expect the scoreline to be that decent, the serve to be decent for the most part, and the groundstrokes to be better than Serena's (given S wasn't playing mega). Maria should be proud of her progress. The obvious gripe is the SPs in the TB.

hankqq
glad Serena won this in straights :) :yeah: she needs to sharpen some aspects of her game though.

Sharapova fans should be encouraged by Maria's matches against Serena here and Henin at RG :shrug: she gave both of them tough matches. I'm just curious why she hasn't shown this form against other top 40 players. Most of them would have lost to her today imo. :shrug:

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Still not convinced that Maria can play like this consistently. The only times she's came out in this type of inspired form is

Henin at RG.
Serena at Wimbledon.

0 pressure, nothing to lose, no expectation situations.

If she starts playing like this some other matches then sure you can say something.

She's been winning plenty of matches lately. :shrug: Apart from the two losses you mentioned, her only other loss was to Li - an off-day for Maria, although she probably still could've scrambled through that match against most, but Li was playing at a very high level.

I agree though that it's time for her to start making good on her flashes of potential. She NEEDS a very strong US Open Series. Really she needs to be targetting the title in Stanford, which seems to have a pretty soft field this year. She'd better be playing both Cincinnati and Montreal as well.

Kunal
solid match and a test for maria

Dominic
Ive been saying it for a while now, Maria has been struggling to get back to her best level cause of her serve etc but also, she is nowhere near as solid mentally as she used to be, it used to be her trademark. She should have won the tiebreak, but she crumbled in the big moment.

Serenita
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
All this bitterness from the Povatards. I'm loving it. accept your girl lost.

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Do you know how many Doubles Serena hit? She hit 5 two less than maria

Yep but Sharapova's ones were on most importants points. Stop lying to yourself Maria's serve was not on fire. I've never seen the real Maria hit 2 DF in a row btw.

Rafito.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Obviously you have no coverage of the post match interview. She said TWICE Maria played really well.

What exactly do you want? Serena to say she thought Maria should have won?

Get over yourself....

GDIAC! :wavey:

mdterp01

Exactly!!! To be fair, its not all Sharapova fans. But I'm not letting any ridiculous BS comments bring me down!! My girl won this meeting on grass (the first since final '04) and took care of business. :banana: This was a test Serena needed and she came through beautifully. I actually thank Maria because she needed this test before facing Li Na.

Emina.
Congrats Serena!! :yeah:

Maria,:sad::hug: good luck @ USO!!!!!!! :bounce:

ampers&
The Serena head shaking at net drama....

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/G.diddy.gif

Diesel
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM

They should be used to it by now.

Slutati
WOW some Sharapova fans are seriously pressed. :lol:

Serenita
Ive been saying it for a while now, Maria has been struggling to get back to her best level cause of her serve etc but also, she is nowhere near as solid mentally as she used to be, it used to be her trademark. She should have won the tiebreak, but she crumbled in the big moment.

Not only that, she's not a fast runner also, move her around a bit and you can win the point.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
. Without this serving Serena would loose this match easily.
:devil:
Why don't you just say without Serena on the side of the net, Serena would have lost easily.

I mean, come on, the serve is part of her game.

Rome
"I definitely expect a tougher match against Li Na." :rolleyes:

OK, I've never disliked you Serena but.. :(

Did you see there last match?

Ntosake
Good one to get, Serena! Congrats!

Good fight Maria!

WIMBLY2004
Well, what a shame.

Better luck next time, Maria.

Donny
Serena was subpar in every aspect of her game except serve. Even still, were it not for Serena playing that sloppy game in the first to give Maria the break back, this would have been over fairly quickly.

WTAtennisfan15

No, its time to hire Yury "The Gagngsta" Sharapov! ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Yep but Sharapova's ones were on most importants points. Stop lying to yourself Maria's serve was not on fire. I've never seen the real Maria hit 2 DF in a row btw.

so that's somehow serena's fault?? lol

i thought you said (as maria confirmed) that once the shoulder is fine everything would be perfect for maria and she'd be winning this match up with serena?

difference in tactics now mashafaaaan?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Maria hasn't beaten Serena in almost 6 years, this was the expected result.

Mixal
Should've gone to the 3rd, it would be so exciting! :sad:

It was really a good match, Serena was too consistent, Maria had to many UE in the second to keep it up with her.

Anyway, congrats to both girls! :worship:

Serenita
They should be used to it by now.

You would have thought after 6 years of beat downs, they would have know better:lol:

mdterp01
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Serena head shaking at net drama....

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/G.diddy.gif

Thank you...its ridiculous!!! I mean really. People act like a player has never been mad at themselves or think they played poorly despite winning. :rolleyes:

Slutiana
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM

EDIT:

Stop your bitching. She was shaking her head at her own play which, off the ground, was mostly erratic. She also said that Maria did play well, but that she was disappointed with her performance.

Sit down.
Serena's serve is fucking ridiculous. Jesus. :rolls: Well done and win the whole thing!
Maria keep this form up please!
Maria stan. :worship:
Why are people so concerned with Serena giving Maria credit or not? Serena is well known for not giving her opponents credit and only being concerned about her own game and that's the attitude that got her to where she is.
I'm sure Maria doesn't care about that and she will just go and work on the aspects of her game that still need improvement.
I don't see what so important here.
This.

bellascarlett
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Awww Masha! I just love you and your fighting spirit. You did so well. You gotta be proud of yourself. Still a lot of work ahead but this is still a good result as a lot didn't expect you to even make it competitive. :hug:

It would have been nice if Maria had won the first set though with all those set points. Gosh, when will luck be on her side? :lol: Hopefully at the USO. Grass hasn't really been her surface in years. Now onto the HCs.

I do agree though that she needs a new coach or at least another one. Been convinced for years that Michael Joyce doesn't have what it takes to make Maria better. I even think Yuri would be better. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I hope Maria give Serena all the credit and acknowledges how lucky she was to be on the court with such a great champion :p

Why the fuck should Serena show the screaming harpie "respect" :rolleyes: I don't recall respect going vice-versa. Some of you people are so ridiculous. Maria probably only played well due to her stubbornness not to get her ass beat by Serena again but looks like she came up short. No excuses this time :wavey:

I didn't want to go there but some Maria fans are so full of crap :help:

So Serena is rude because she is unhappy with her own play? That she made some dumbass mistake on ROS? Get over yourselves! Maria is lucky her own serve was on today because she would have gotten clobbered.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Serena was subpar in every aspect of her game except serve. Even still, were it not for Serena playing that sloppy game in the first to give Maria the break back, this would have been over fairly quickly.

Maria hit more winners in Serena's service games than Serena did in Maria's (and in the first set breaks: Maria hit 2 DFs and 1UE in her break with Serena getting 0 winners; in Serena's break, there was 1UE from Serena and 2 winners from Maria). Don't let facts get in the way of your analysis though. :wavey:

Sp!ffy
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
You would have thought after 6 years of beat downs, they would have know better:lol:

Classic ignorance at its finest :yeah: Nice job in making yourself look like a fool. Its funny how every other WS fan seemed to respect Maria's play and you come in here with a comment like that ^

You seem to be the perfect match for a WS fan :haha:

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:05 PM
i thought you said (as maria confirmed) that once the shoulder is fine everything would be perfect for maria and she'd be winning this match up with serena?

I never said that.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Did you see there last match?

Why the fuck do you care what I think? I don't care what you think. I can say and think whatever I want. :lol:

Destiny
I HATE TRACY AUSTIN slag ughhhhhhh

serenafan08
Maria played very well and still lost. Any questions?

Serena played pretty good - 31 winners to 17 unforced errors is a great ratio, and 19 aces!? So just in her last two matches that's 39 aces to 5 doubles. Incredible stat. Greatest serve of all time. :yeah:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Classic ignorance at its finest :yeah: Nice job in making yourself look like a fool. Its funny how every other WS fan seemed to respect Maria's play and you come in here with a comment like that ^

Shh don't respond to that thing.

Rome
:lol: You really think Serena can hit winners off 115mph serves? Don't embarrass yourself.

You should ask Davenport about that or even her sister.:haha:

tennisbum79
No, its time to hire Yury "The Gagngsta" Sharapov! ;)
Maria play a very good match today.

She served well, she returned well.
She took the fight to Serena.

Overall, excellent progress in quest for comeback.
Please get some perspective before you guys dump on Maria.

I know it is hard to do after a loss, but try.

Donny
Maria hit more winners in Serena's service games than Serena did in Maria's (and in the first set breaks: Maria hit 2 DFs and 1UE in her break with Serena getting 0 winners; in Serena's break, there was 1UE from Serena and 2 winners from Maria). Don't let facts get in the way of your analysis though. :wavey:

Serena was subpar in every aspect of her game except serve.

What part of your post invalidates that statement?

tucker1989
Serena wasn't good at all and still won in straights!

Are you kidding? Why do people say things like this? She wasn't her absolute best, but she played a very solid match. You're taking something away from both Serena and Maria, who both played their hearts out today, when you make inane comments like this.

matty
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
:banana: Congrats, Serena--step it up--keep improving and winning, girl! :banana:

dsanders06
Serena was subpar in every aspect of her game except serve.

What part of your post invalidates that statement?

It invalidates your theory that it was only a "sloppy game" from Serena that pushed the first set to a tiebreak.

Serenita

Who cares what u think;)

Serena won the match, time too lick ur wounds and enjoy ur day:angel:

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
You should ask Davenport about that or even her sister.:haha:

You an idiot.

Justin
Masha, that dumb selection at TB 1-2* proved fatal.

Exactly. Horrible, horrible shot selection. It was a gimmie and she blew it.

doni1212
Are you kidding? Why do people say things like this? She wasn't her absolute best, but she played a very solid match. You're taking something away from both Serena and Maria, who both played their hearts out today, when you make inane comments like this.

What did she do well besides her 1st serves?!!

narutos
Who cares what u think;)

I do.

Donny
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
It invalidates your theory that it was only a "sloppy game" from Serena that pushed the first set to a tiebreak.

Serena did play a sloppy game. She missed nearly all of her first serves in that game, and dumped an easy putaway into the net.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
By the way, then I'd say they were both playing their B games. Both serving great, but both pretty erratic off the ground. Mentally, I'd give an edge to Serena, as she played the big points a bit better - but again, Maria can change that once she plays more of these big matches and gets back into the right frame of mind for them.

starin
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Maria played very well and still lost. Any questions?

Serena played pretty good - 31 winners to 17 unforced errors is a great ratio, and 19 aces!? So just in her last two matches that's 39 aces to 5 doubles. Incredible stat. Greatest serve of all time. :yeah:

that means she only hit 12 ground stroke winners.
not so good. A little sloppy and passive today from Rena. but a win againts a dangerous opponent so :worship: Serena. I knew Sharapova wouldn't completely crumble cuz she really had zero pressure and a hunger to prove herself again. Maria played very well compared to her play the last couple of years :unsure: but neither played their absolute best which imo is to be expected.

spartanfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
What's there head 2 head now?

it-girl
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
What is really going on with all of these people complaining about Serena at the net? When she shook her head she was acknowleding that it was a really good tough match and she was tired. They had a very warm exchange at the net & they both were genuinley smiling. You people are looking for flies in a Raid bug spray testing facility. Also when she said it was going to be a much tougher match she was more than likely referring to herself because she still has to play doubles today and has to play Na Li tomorrow of course that makes it tougher after playing a tough match like this.

Serena complimented Maria and it was very nice. Stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill:help:

Donny
You an idiot.

Someone missed the lesson on verbs in grade school.

Sp!ffy

:yeah:

This thread got out of control :o

dsanders06
Serena did play a sloppy game. She missed nearly all of her first serves in that game, and dumped an easy putaway into the net.

The "easy putaway" was Serena's only UE of the game, while Maria hit 2 winners. In contrast, in Serena's break of that set, she hit NO winners in that game while Maria had 2 DFs and another UE. It's pretty obvious who was dictating play at that stage.

gc-spurs
What did she do well besides her 1st serves?!!

One of her fistpumps looked really odd/awkward. I thought it looked kinda cool.

slamchamp
this thread:tape:

RenaSlam.

6-2 Serena. Maria hasn't beaten her since the 2004 YEC Final (when Serena could barely serve in the third set :tape:)

Lachy
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM

I think its 6-2 or 7-2...something like that.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
this thread:tape:

It was expected for the claws to come out when you're dealing with Ma$ha and Serena fans :lol:

Just Do It
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
The beauty and the beast.

gc-spurs
It was expected for the claws to come out when you're dealing with Ma$ha and Serena fans :lol:

Yeah but we unite in a beautiful way vs Henin fans

Donny
The "easy putaway" was Serena's only UE of the game, while Maria hit 2 winners. In contrast, in Serena's break of that set, she hit NO winners in that game while Maria had 2 DFs and another UE. It's pretty obvious who was dictating play at that stage.

Maria hit lots of double faults and a random UE? Like she's been doing in most of her matches for the past two years???. Stop the presses!

That had nothing to do with being sloppy. She played significantly better than she has in a while. This is the player Maria is now: She's not elite, she's not a world beater. When the real top players have bad days at the office, she can mayyyybe push them in a close 2 or 3 setter. That's about it. As evidenced by her record against top 40 players this year.

dsanders06
6-2 Serena. Maria hasn't beaten her since the 2004 YEC Final (when Serena could barely serve in the third set :tape:)

:lol: So the YEC final doesn't count, but the Charleston meeting when Maria was playing with a torn rotator cuff on her worst surface and pushed it to 3 sets DOES count?!

narutos
I think its 6-2 or 7-2...something like that.

It's fine I mean didn't Maria beat Henin in US final even though Henin was leading 4/1 I have faith.

RenaSlam.
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
:lol: So the YEC final doesn't count, but the Charleston meeting when Maria was playing with a torn rotator cuff on her worst surface and pushed it to 3 sets DOES count?!

Serena was serving at like 60 mph. :help:

narutos
Someone missed the lesson on verbs in grade school.

You still an idiot.

friendsita
Serena's returns were awfulllllll...
Maria served well... she's gettin better
I like the match.

Serenita

Pova is Serena's bitch :lol:

she haven't won a match against Serena in 6 long effing years. :lol::lol:

I know the Povatards are having a hard time, but did you really expected something diffrent? cmon now people. 6 LONGGGGGGG years of beat down's and getting slapped around.:kiss:

SymphonyX
The beauty and the beast.

No. They're both beauty and the beast themselves. Beautiful bodies, beastly playing. Maria = legs. Serena = ass.

Also, Serena diehards on this thread can seriously die. They're even worse of a bitch than Serena when she's acting bitchy. And she wasn't even bitchy today.

silverwhite

EDIT:

LMAO at the oversensitive Sharapova fans. Serena wasn't pleased with her own performance, and rightfully so. Maria played well for her standards this year but she is nowhere near her peak...

Lachy
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
It's fine I mean didn't Maria beat Henin in US final even though Henin was leading 4/1 I have faith.

Yeah I don't think head 2 heads mean much, each day is a new day I guess. Just depends on who is the better player ;)

dsanders06
Maria hit lots of double faults and a random UE? Like she's been doing in most of her matches for the past two years???. Stop the presses!

That had nothing to do with being sloppy. She played significantly better than she has in a while. This is the player Maria is now: She's not elite, she's not a world beater. When the real top players have bad days at the office, she can mayyyybe push them in a close 2 or 3 setter. That's about it. As evidenced by her record against top 40 players this year.

You realise she's only played a top 40 player 3 times? And she got plenty of wins over not just top 40 players but top 10 players last year... are you seriously suggesting Maria is a worse player now than she was at the end of last year?!

Rome

Match Summary

Williams (USA) Sharapova (RUS)

1st Serve % 50 of 74 = 68 % 42 of 67 = 63 %

Aces 19 3

Double Faults 5 7

Unforced Errors 17 18

Winning % on 1st Serve 42 of 50 = 84 % 31 of 42 = 74 %

Winning % on 2nd Serve 10 of 24 = 42 % 13 of 25 = 52 %

Winners 31 14

Receiving Points Won 23 of 60 = 38 % 22 of 69 = 32 %

Break Point Conversions 2 of 2 = 100 % 1 of 1 = 100 %

Net Approaches 5 of 9 = 56 % 5 of 10 = 50 %

Total Points Won 75 66

Fastest Serve Speed 125 MPH 116 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed 113 MPH 109 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed 96 MPH 96 MPH

Look at the Winning % on first and second serves they are dead even if you add them up.

narutos
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM

So? It's not like Maria never beat Serena when it matters.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM

And Maria was playing with an injury that required surgery and a 10-month lay-off.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
You'll get her next time. :kiss:

mckyle.
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Okay, time to close this thread. All useful discussion is over :lol: