PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon R16:Venus beats J.Groth 6-4,7-6(5)

Lin Lin
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Venus:):yeah:

RenaSlam.
Step

Valanga
The last two points from Mrs. Groth :help:

Ferg
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
She was ridiculously lucky in that match.

Keegan
Jarka looked so sad :sad:

nfl46
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn, I'm pumped right now!!

Hashim.
Jarmilla:hug:

Lachy
Choke...chokeee.choooookeeee....and one more chooookkkkeeeeee.

So Disrespectful
Today Jarmila learned that you might be able to get away with choking once against a top 10 player, but not twice. :)

young_gunner913
Groth choked majorly so Venus got a break in the second. Step it up Venus.

Nikkiri
Oh god Jarka.. she played well but put under any kind of pressure and she is clueless :sobbing:

Pops Maellard
Jarka served for the second set twice. :awww:

But go Venus! :rocker2:

Harvs
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
damnit. jarka was the better player in that second set. very unlucky not to have won it earlier.
but oh well, she played well and a great tourny!

keep going vee:):):)

John.
Groth gave it her all, and was really unlucky not to take that 2nd set

Venus :cheer: Keep going

tae04
HeHe Yay Vee. Groth arms froze up at the end.

Keadz
Played so well just to choke it away everytime she had an oppurtunity!

Poor Jarka :sad: Good sings that she was hitting so well though. Her game is great when its on, top 20 potential.

Sean.
If Groth had kept it up at the end of sets the result would have been much closer. She's got game but lacks mental strength. She's not bad on the eyes either. :p

:bigclap: Venus

nfl46

Call it what you want. Venus stepped it up. Experience showed in the last few games! Go Vee!

madmax
Choke of the year maybe?:haha:

TheBoiledEgg
Jarka choked big time :sad: :(
served for 2nd set twice :o :o
and blew it in 1st set and TB at 5-5

xr6turbo
:yeah:

it-girl
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Way to fight thru Venus!!!!!!!

SVK
Made in Slovakia - big headcase and playing in crucial moments = :weirdo:

J.Bravo
Honestly if that went 3 I don't think Vee would have pulled it out.
Groth play an honorable match. besides that tiebreaker.

LudwigDvorak
Really fortunate from Venus today.

Groth hadn't faced a BP until she was serving to stay in the 2nd set. On SP, Groth had a correction w/ overrule replay and she ended up losing to set.

2nd set Groth served for it twice, but was really never close to winning those games. Had chances in the TB, but at the end just too many errors.

Really not impressive from Venus today besides serving well at important moments. ESPN did a speed ratio of groundstrokes and Venus was being overpowered. Groth was definitely dictating today in the rallies and Venus was using her movement to get into points.

The MP says it all really. Venus was just pushing the ball back into play and retrieving and got a lucky net cord which Groth hit another error to end it. On almost all of the important points they were really in Groth's hands, but she missed, missed, missed.

nevetssllim
What a struggle at the end! :help: Groth played really well but her shot-selection was brainless! :weirdo:

Well done Venus. :yeah: I'm sure you gave the result the crowd wanted. ;) :lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Venus was craptastic but Groth really took it to her. Groth couldn't keep it up when it was important though :tape:

Valanga
I don't get it. Why Jarmila needed to go up to the net at 6*-5 15-15, and then when she was in control and she tries to make a volley? She has game but her mental side is just :help:

So Disrespectful
Funny how people said Groth would be lucky to win a few games though.

Aaric
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Serena is so winning this tournament

Blu€
Groth was really impressive! :clap2: Shame she couldn't close out the 2nd set! You could see she was really nervous :hug:

Venus's toss was annoying!

Vanity Bonfire
Jarkka really should've won that second set.

aussie_fan
Jarka should of won that 2nd set a million times.

strictennis
Groth made me a fan!

Renalicious
Very mentally tough from Venus, Groth was dictating a LOT of the rallies. :eek:

Well done Vee :)

vw.
Glad Vee got to face a big server. Good job to get the W, now is when you bring up your level another notch. 3 more matches. :armed:

tim2502
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Vee :hearts:
It's a tough match.
Jarka played really well :hug:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Groth... sigh.

5-4 up in the 2nd, you got broken.

6-5 up, you went to the net ill-prepared.

And then at 5-5 in tie break, you did a double and a net.... :tape:

But a good fight nonetheless.

Venus escaped. Just barely.

mdterp01
Let me tell you something...call it luck or experience or whatever but Venus should be very happy she got out of that match in straight sets. 1 or 2 points decided the first set and one or two points decided the second. Ashame as well as Groth played she didn't serve it out the chances she had, but thats experience. Its something she will gain if she becomes a top player later on. Call it choking or whatever...it is what it is. Venus could've lost that in straights or it could've gone 3!! I am very happy that is over and Venus moves on safely. I'm also happy all of that talk about knee injury and knee wrapping is put to rest at the moment because Venus needed every bit of her athletic movement today. PHEW!!!

vw.
Oh and I don't remember the last time Vee yelled at herself like she did at 5-5 when she missed a shot to give Groth BP.. :lol: Got her fired up a bit which was good to see.

LightWarrior
Venus barely shook Groth's hand ? Why ?

SoClose
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Groth played well and Venus didn't play that well... She needs to raise her level a lot if she is to win this tournament... Keep it up Vee!!!

HippityHop

Groth hadn't faced a BP until she was serving to stay in the 2nd set. On SP, Groth had a correction w/ overrule replay and she ended up losing to set.

2nd set Groth served for it twice, but was really never close to winning those games. Had chances in the TB, but at the end just too many errors.

Really not impressive from Venus today besides serving well at important moments. ESPN did a speed ratio of groundstrokes and Venus was being overpowered. Groth was definitely dictating today in the rallies and Venus was using her movement to get into points.

The MP says it all really. Venus was just pushing the ball back into play and retrieving and got a lucky net cord which Groth hit another error to end it. On almost all of the important points they were really in Groth's hands, but she missed, missed, missed.

Well that's not fair. Next time perhaps they should make Venus wear ankle weights.

ZODIAC
Vee bt Jarmila with her B game wow!!
I love you Queen Ebony!!
This match will be the catalyst for all her next matches,she will play better in her next matches.

TuxedoSlam
Well done to both. Venus in straight sets. Groth played very nice and wanted to hang in there till the last moment.

Emina.
Congrats Venus.

Marionated
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM
It's better for Venus to be tested in the earlier rounds.

Last year she steamrolled her opponents and then played a bad match in the final.

Rising Sun
Vee phew :o

mdterp01
The other thing that makes this good is that Serena talked about her stomach being in knots when Venus had that tough loss against Li and how that affected her against Azarenka. So thank god Venus escaped that in straights and Serena has some time to calm down.

Also, Venus apparently was not feeling well. So to still come through in straights is nice.

RenaSlam.
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well that's not fair. Next time perhaps they should make Venus wear ankle weights.

:worship:

tennisbum79
Good fight Venus.
Kept her calm and took the opportunity when prsented.

Too bad for Groth. She plays well.
She has good serve and groundies.

mdterp01
Groth... sigh.

5-4 up in the 2nd, you got broken.

6-5 up, you went to the net ill-prepared.

And then at 5-5 in tie break, you did a double and a net.... :tape:

But a good fight nonetheless.

Venus escaped. Just barely.

How is a straight sets win barely escaping? :rolleyes:

Vikapower
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
What shite player Groth choking 4 times ; 2 for the set, a double fault at 4 all and a FH in the net. Venus doing as if she played her best tennis. :o This should have gone 3.

Umberella
Great tournament for Groth - consecutive GS 4th round which is always good for an unseeded player. Really liking her game a lot, she can go a long way. Shame she has the mental game of my other fave player (i.e. Hantuchova) though!!

Good work to Venus, didn't play her best match but she got through. Good luck in the quarters! :)

Daruma.
Jarmila made some stupid errors. She could at least win the second set. :sad:

Venus... you are lucky to win it in 2. ;)

Derek.
Thank goodness, Venus.

Groth's shots only seem to land in during the slams lately. :tape:

Lin Lin
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Venus 100% success on challenges:hearts:

gmokb
Stop acting as if Venus didn't have her look in the 2nd set as well.:mad: Venus seems a bit off but she still lift her game to win.:cool:

Well done Venus but my heart took a beating. I honestly thought I would only have to stress through Serena's match but.... Quicker and easier win tomorrow would be much appreciated:)

ZODIAC
now Serena will beat pova like a drum..

2Black
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Groth has NO BUSINESS being ranked that low. The girl has game game game ... It must be her head!

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/xdxe0n.jpg

It's all about the W. Keep going Miss Vee :banana:

soomaal
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Venus was really not playing well today, I don't know what was going on with her since she was late and was just off all match. Glad she got through in straight sets but she really needs to step it up for next match.

I had walked out in disgust after 5-5 when she lost the next game. Just completely unwatchable and the BBC commentators were very annoying esp that australian woman who was just sooooooooooooooooooooo biased. Unbelievable.

Kim - Justine match is rather dull too, hope Sharapova and Serena show us how it is done!

Jajaloo
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4971/chokeposterse5.jpg

tennisvideos
Vee bt Jarmila with her B game wow!!

Maybe that's all she has left :lol:

Seriously, she was a little lucky that Groth is relatively inexperienced at this level and did choke. But that's what makes the difference between the champions and the rest of the pack so good on Venus.

Vikapower
Call it what you want. Venus stepped it up. Experience showed in the last few games! Go Vee!
:confused: Venus was just lucky to be Venus in that match. She would be playing like that against Kim or any other top player , what was the score at Miami again ? :lol: Anyway it was great to see Venus pushing a bit to rattle Groth.

mdterp01
Jarmila made some stupid errors. She could at least win the second set. :sad:

Venus... you are lucky to win it in 2. ;)

Sometimes its what you need. If it were a player like Sharapova or Clijsters or Serena I'd say lucky. That was experience and nerves from Groth at the big moments.

Infiniti2001

:lol:

claypova
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:12 PM
:hearts:

jarmila did so well. (except the choking bits). amazing week for her:worship:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Venus was really not playing well today, I don't know what was going on with her since she was late and was just off all match. Glad she got through in straight sets but she really needs to step it up for next match.

I had walked out in disgust after 5-5 when she lost the next game. Just completely unwatchable and the BBC commentators were very annoying esp that australian woman who was just sooooooooooooooooooooo biased. Unbelievable.

Kim - Justine match is rather dull too, hope Sharapova and Serena show us how it is done!

I never walk away even when Venus is stinking up the place. I truly Veelieve:hearts:

The Witch-king
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for that Jarmilla. :hug:

But then again you were gifted so many Venus errors and lack of energy so I guess its all square.

V-MAC
Thank God.
If Vee's second serve didn't hold up the way it did today, could have been an entirely different result:eek: First serve percentage was disappointingly low but hopefully she will pick it up. Groth was very impressive though. Think she was serving above 70% in that first set. She served well through out really except for that bizarre game at 6-5 when she suddenly started net rushing to no avail.
Perhaps this was just the test Vee needed to fire her up for the rest of the tournament.

VishaalMaria
Everyone's saving Jarmilla choked but I just feel she shouldn't have been in a position to actually win a set or two IMHO. I mean, what about all those unreturned errors Venus hit? Sure Jarmilla served big, but more often than not Venus would hit her ROS into the net or just out and there was no need to. Most of the time she could have got the ball in, but as they say "it is what it is".

In the first set, Venus' serve really saved her. While she was holidng with ease, Jarmilla would hit a big serve and then a winner a 1-2 punch. So in that respect, Jarmila really out-played Venus off of the ground. Unfortunately, she pressed too much when serving to stay in the first set at 4-5, and Venus was steady hitting a few nice shots.

The second set, again, I don't think Jarmilla learned from her mistakes. When serving for the set, twice, she'd over-press or force the issue too much by coming to the net and it was an easy ball from Venus.

Venus really turned it up in the tiebreak to go up 4-0, but she took her foot off and starting playing defensively. A couple of errors from Jarmilla and that was the match.

But as I indicated, Jarmilla wasn't the only one hitting errors, Venus was too for some parts of the match. So I guess it cancelled out.

Venus really needs to step it up big time. I'm glad she was tested. It'll do her well.

azmad_88
congrats vee.but it was tough

skanky~skanketta
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
First time seeing Groth play, and I must say I was shocked at how good her game is. However, I also recognize that she's one of those "must be on" players.

BluSthil
Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke,... Nerves, Nerves, Nerves, Nerves... :o

Infiniti2001
:confused: Venus was just lucky to be Venus in that match. She would be playing like that against Kim or any other top player , what was the score at Miami again ? :lol: Anyway it was great to see Venus pushing a bit to rattle Groth.

Who said luck is not part of the game?:confused: Meanwhile, it's sad that you actually believe Venus was healthy in Miami:rolleyes:

Alizé Molik
good showing for Jarka!!

Shepster
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
You break by outplaying her from the back of the court then start coming to the net when you're serving for the match. You get pwned. You break again, so what do you do next time round? Coming to the net sounds like a good idea :smash:

Single-digit IQ from Jarka at the end there, tactical nightmare.

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Groth has come so far in a year, the last time I watched her was Wimbledon last year against Serena. She's always been a great striker of the ball, but her improved fitness and footwork means she's getting into position a lot faster and a lot more often. She was outhitting Venus today, no doubt about it. Venus was serving well today, and I think that's what kept the scoreline close in the second set because she was being outplayed thoroughly off the ground.

Jarmila did get tight on serve, and it was a choke. She lost serve only 3 times in the match. 1st to stay in the first set, and 2nd and 3rd times when trying to serve out. Her shot selection has largely improved since last year, except for when she got time when she'd all of a sudden be up at the net. :lol: Good quality match, I thought.

I thought it was particularly cold. I was expecting Venus to console her to some extent, but Venus looked very unimpressed by everything today.

Roookie
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Choke of the Year :tape::help:

skanky~skanketta
Everyone's saving Jarmilla choked but I just feel she shouldn't have been in a position to actually win a set or two IMHO. I mean, what about all those unreturned errors Venus hit? Sure Jarmilla served big, but more often than not Venus would hit her ROS into the net or just out and there was no need to. Most of the time she could have got the ball in, but as they say "it is what it is".

In the first set, Venus' serve really saved her. While she was holidng with ease, Jarmilla would hit a big serve and then a winner a 1-2 punch. So in that respect, Jarmila really out-played Venus off of the ground. Unfortunately, she pressed too much when serving to stay in the first set at 4-5, and Venus was steady hitting a few nice shots.

The second set, again, I don't think Jarmilla learned from her mistakes. When serving for the set, twice, she'd over-press or force the issue too much by coming to the net and it was an easy ball from Venus.

Venus really turned it up in the tiebreak to go up 4-0, but she took her foot off and starting playing defensively. A couple of errors from Jarmilla and that was the match.

But as I indicated, Jarmilla wasn't the only one hitting errors, Venus was too for some parts of the match. So I guess it cancelled out.

Venus really needs to step it up big time. I'm glad she was tested. It'll do her well.Actually, Jarmila was dictating, forcing Venus to get into a defensive position in those points.

That said, this reminded me of Venus vs Sprem. Both players thumping the ball, mostly going in.

bandabou
Wow...Groth was good! But experience can't be taught.

Freakan
Really proud of Jarka:)
She was dominating most of the rallies against VENUS ON GRASS and was the better player during most of the match. I was sure she would fall apart in the most crucial parts of the sets, so I'm really happy to see that the rest of the match was really great on her part :yeah:

Ferg
Thanks for the badrep when I said Venus was lucky, RenaSlam. I hope you did that to everyone who said it.

soomaal
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I never walk away even when Venus is stinking up the place. I truly Veelieve:hearts:

I walked out and walked back in to...I need to jump up and down like a jojo cuz I cant stomach much drama. Always Veelieve though.:hearts:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke,... Nerves, Nerves, Nerves, Nerves... :o

How some can say Venus is lucky and not the same for Groth. I mean , Venus helped her quite a bit with her stupid errors especially in that tiebreak. Luck swung both ways in this match--and the better player won .

The end :)

VishaalMaria
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Actually, Jarmila was dictating, forcing Venus to get into a defensive position.

But that was the story of the match, the fact Venus didn't take the initiative and let Jarmilla back into the match.

At the end of the day, Venus is the better player and regardless of whether Jarmilla should have won or set or not, it's better Venus is still in the singles competition.

The Witch-king
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Liz Smiley is her name. I knew as soon as they announced the commentators that Venus would not play well. Every year at the AO when that woman commentates Venus plays horribly :weirdo:

More like you have a strong stomach. I couldn't stand that stuff... kept changing the channel and then changing back with the mute on hoping to see Venus had won a point. Basically I only watched between points.

StephenUK
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Groth has come so far in a year, the last time I watched her was Wimbledon last year against Serena. She's always been a great striker of the ball, but her improved fitness and footwork means she's getting into position a lot faster and a lot more often. She was outhitting Venus today, no doubt about it. Venus was serving well today, and I think that's what kept the scoreline close in the second set because she was being outplayed thoroughly off the ground.

Jarmila did get tight on serve, and it was a choke. She lost serve only 3 times in the match. 1st to stay in the first set, and 2nd and 3rd times when trying to serve out. Her shot selection has largely improved since last year, except for when she got time when she'd all of a sudden be up at the net. :lol: Good quality match, I thought.

I thought it was particularly cold. I was expecting Venus to console her to some extent, but Venus looked very unimpressed by everything today.

I agree. Groth used to have a bit of a tummy, she has clearly improved leaps and bounds. Reaching the second week of successive slams after never getting past the second round shows that she is moving up a level in tennis. It is a shame that she never played her best tennis at the key moments. She ought to have grabbed that second set. Still there are so many positives she can take away from this tournament.

Patchy by Venus. Some great serving (plus Groth errors)got her out of trouble at key moments and she played brilliantly at the start of the tiebreak. But too many unforced errors and Groth looked her superior in many of the rallies. Her grunt was the loudest I have ever heard it and I have never seen her look so flustered and bad-tempered on court. The main thing is that she is through but what a cakewalk draw!

Sexysova
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
well done Venus although this was not a really solid and convincing performance, I've never seen Venus so mad recently but well done on getting through a tough match :yeah:

congrats to Jarka for such a great tournament :) great effort :hug:

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Bad bad match but I was surprisingly not too nervous until the very end. My problem with Venus was the serving and returning. Also she wasn't stretching Groth wide instead opting a lot to keep the ball in the middle. The problem with that was Groth can hit winners in both corners from the FH when the ball is in the middle. Anyway, a win is a win is a win but she has to step it up 10x

sky20748
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM

:bounce::worship:EXACTLY

2Black
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You break by outplaying her from the back of the court then start coming to the net when you're serving for the match. You get pwned. You break again, so what do you do next time round? Coming to the net sounds like a good idea :smash:

Single-digit IQ from Jarka at the end there, tactical nightmare.

:lol: but true

Beny
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Not impressed by Venus at all. She s not gonna win the tournament playing sloppy like this

Pity Gajdosova couldnt finish off the set

The Witch-king

Jarmilla was such a hot mess last year against Serena. I think she hit like 11 doublefaults or something and the match was 6-1 6-2. Yes she has improved A LOT.

Shawn
Also Venus has played the tougher opponents so far. The players did not roll over and give the matches away, she took them.

Huntress55
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Oh Jarka :hug: :sad:

Such a pity she couldnt serve out the second set, deserved it to go to 3. But she was too nervous and came out with some awful shots. Hopefully if shes in that kind of position again she'll have learnt from this match :p She has game though and hopefully she continues to rise in the rankings this year since she has like nothing to defend. Still impressed by her for the most part today, great tournie.

ptitnavet
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Venus was so Ice Queen today :lol:
Jarka :hug: Good tournament :)

GL Vee!

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Not impressed by Venus at all. She s not gonna win the tournament playing sloppy like this

If Venus marched through Wimbledon without a match like this I would be extremely concerned. This is effing Venus Williams we are talking about. She has to bring drama at some point.

Vikapower
How some can say Venus is lucky and not the same for Groth. I mean , Venus helped her quite a bit with her stupid errors especially in that tiebreak. Luck swung both ways in this match--and the better player won .

The end :)
This is false Jarmilla was going for her shots and by so was forcing Venus to do more on the other end Venus was just Dane-ing herself into the match for the win.

hingisGOAT
What a CHOKE :help: Kim and Justine battle it out in 4R while Venus continues to coast through her fluffy cotton candy draw, playing nothing but scrubs until she reaches the semifinals :tape:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Bad bad match but I was surprisingly not too nervous until the very end. My problem with Venus was the serving and returning. Also she wasn't stretching Groth wide instead opting a lot to keep the ball in the middle. The problem with that was Groth can hit winners in both corners from the FH when the ball is in the middle. Anyway, a win is a win is a win but she has to step it up 10x

Venus was a bit off, but I don't think the match was bad. I mean on any other day her serve would have deserted her, but thankfully it held up . She did what she had to, and of course she took all the break points opportunities today :hearts:

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What a CHOKE :help: Kim and Justine battle it out in 4R while Venus continues to coast through her fluffy cotton candy draw, playing nothing but scrubs until she reaches the semifinals :tape:
what a dumb comment. You don't normally get those stupid comments from Aussies.

mdterp01
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Ummm...Venus has had worse matches than this in previous Wimbledon years only to go on to win the tournament so....whatevs!!!!!

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
This is false Jarmilla was going for her shots and by so was forcing Venus to do more on the other end Venus was just Dane-ing herself into the match for the win.

Ok Venus was lucky :)

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Are you always this bitter? :lol::help:

Shawn
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
In the mean time for Venus' sake, I would rather see Venus win the next match and play Justine vs Kim.

VishaalMaria
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM

You didn't watch the match but Venus' errors mostly came off her ROS. Even then for the most part, her returns were makeable.

They had around an equal amount of errors.

So whilst Jarmilla hit errors when she was leading, Venus' errors beforehand put her there.

VishaalMaria
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM

He would be, Venus is out there playing her her eight slam leaving Hingis waaaay behind.

tennisforadults
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Groth has NO BUSINESS being ranked that low. The girl has game game game ... It must be her head!

With her powerful game, she really should be ranked higher. But she just returned from an ankle injury early this year and had since only played three or four main tour events. To make two consecutive 4th rounds at RG and Wimbledon shows she's back at her best. Shame she couldn't take her chances to go a bit further.

Good news is... not much to defend for the rest of the year! :)

gmokb
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
So let me see if I am understanding some posters, Venus won cause she was lucky?:eek:

Venus played and earned her spot in the qtrs, no luck to it. Groth was playing well and Venus had to fight harder to win. I will also repeat that Venus had her opportunities to close it out in the 2nd as well and didn't do so.

However, if saying she was lucky helps you deal with the fact that she was not defeated, go right ahead believing so. Let's hope your fav gets just as "lucky":devil:

ZODIAC
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I never walk away even when Venus is stinking up the place. I truly Veelieve:hearts:thats the badge of a veeliever:worship:dont pay attention to fairweather veelievers:fiery:

hingisGOAT
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Venus' lucky draws won't continue forever, Kim just won and Venus is her bitch :devil: Didn't you witness her smack Venus across the face 6-1 6-2 in Miami :)

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
So let me see if I am understanding some posters, Venus won cause she was lucky?:eek:

Venus played and earned her spot in the qtrs, no luck to it. Groth was playing well and Venus had to fight harder to win. I will also repeat that Venus had her opportunities to close it out in the 2nd as well and didn't do so.

However, if saying she was lucky helps you deal with the fact that she was not defeated, go right ahead believing so. Let's hope your fav gets just as "lucky":devil:

This !! Didn't Venus do a bit of choking herself ? :shrug: People see what they want :lol:

hingisGOAT
He would be, Venus is out there playing her her eight slam leaving Hingis waaaay behind.

It's okay, Hingis made sure to beat Venus the last time they played to take the lead in the head-to-head :drool:

Coke Zero
Jarmilla was such a hot mess last year against Serena. I think she hit like 11 doublefaults or something and the match was 6-1 6-2. Yes she has improved A LOT.

That was her game. Hit it as hard as possible, and hope it goes in. She has improved leaps and bounds, namely;

a) Shot selection. She's much more patient, there's purpose to her hitting now.

b) Fitness. This is the best I've seen her in years, she's quicker on the defense and on the attack she's getting herself into a better position more often.

These things attribute to everything else getting better as well. Maybe some more doubles matches would help her feel more comfortable at net, I know she isn't a bad volleyer but confidence is everything. I can certainly see her finishing 2010 well inside the TOP 40, maybe even seeded for AO?

what a dumb comment. You don't normally get those stupid comments from Aussies.

Luckily, that flag is not of Australia. ;)

debopero
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Venus :D !

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I will also repeat that Venus had her opportunities to close it out in the 2nd as well and didn't do so.

I'm confused. Which match were you watching?

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM
It's okay, Hingis made sure to beat Venus the last time they played to take the lead in the head-to-head :drool:

She can keep the head to head. Vee will get to the THOF with more slams :wavey:

VishaalMaria
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Yeah you focus on that, the head to head is only taken into account when both players have the same amount of singles slams. The first measure of greatness is obviously how many singles slams a player has and Venus has seven to Hingis' five, and that alone makes Venus greater.

But I don't expect you to see that with all your hate.

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
She can keep the head to head. Vee will get to the THOF with more slams :wavey:

Hingis will also get there, though. ;)

winone23
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Great fight in the end Venus!!!

sky20748
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes Venus was pushed but u know what she found a way to win. That's what its all about. She is into the quarterfinals so yes I and Venus will take this result...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Pheeew, closer than expected for Vee! ;) Hopefully she'll be 100% for the QTRs :bounce:

Groth :hug: I didn't see the match, but it seems she played well to stretch Vee to a TB in the 2nd :)

missvarsha
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Disappointing ... it seems Venus is already laying the groundwork for her eventual tank job in the final against her younger sister.

Yonexforever
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
To allow Venus to be booed as a result of placing the winningest Female champion of the past decade on far flung court no2 was inexcusable.

They either should have let Jarmila wait or made an announcement why she was kept waiting.
Instead they allowed her tardniess to look like DIVA attitude!Brad GIlbert said it best... RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!

winone23
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
To allow Venus to be booed as a result of placing the winningest Female champion of the past decade on far flung court no2 was inexcusable.

They either should have let Jarmila wait or made an announcement why she was kept waiting.
Instead they allowed her tardniess to look like DIVA attitude!Brad GIlbert said it best... RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!

Exactly, those in the crowd who were booing should be ashamed of themselves. To boo Venus without knowing why she was late makes no sense.

Mixal
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I've only seen the tiebreak, so I can't really say much, except that Groth looked really good. Venus looked sooooo pissed there, I loved it! I also noticed that the handshake was cold...

Go Vee!

miffedmax
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I am still depressed from Saturday, but this is a not suckful result. (The ongoing implosion of LOB aside from Vee and to a lesser extent TOB has not improved me mood).

jefrilibra
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Awesome job VENUS!!!!! She really dug deep in this match and showed what a real champion she is.

And a colossal failure on the part Wimbledon to treat a 5 time champion the way they did by not sending a steward to her before the match. The crowd was not amused at all but then again they didnt know the real situation.

V's a star
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Venus' lucky draws won't continue forever, Kim just won and Venus is her bitch :devil: Didn't you witness her smack Venus across the face 6-1 6-2 in Miami :)

I witnessed Venus looking like a mummy that day as did everyone else...

jean_genie
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Congratulations Venus!! :bounce::bounce:
Good job Jarmila :hug:

ivanban
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Love it how Vee can rech semis by defeating only one player from top60 (Kleybanova) :haha: :rolls: :lol:

Bayo
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I've only seen the tiebreak, so I can't really say much, except that Groth looked really good. Venus looked sooooo pissed there, I loved it! I also noticed that the handshake was cold...

Go Vee!

She was in SUCH a bad mood today. It was awesome.

At one point in the second set Lahyani asked if she was challenging a call. She gave him this "W(hy)TF are you even asking me that?" look that had me :haha: .

Re: the booing, I saw some Aussie flags in the stands. My guess would be it was just a few Groth fans who didn't mean any harm, as tactless as it was.

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM

I read this and immediately thought of that girl in Mean Girls taking about Regina George. :bigcry:

Chakvenus
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
well a win is a win Vee...revenge Pironkova now!!

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM

At one point in the second set Lahyani asked if she was challenging a call. She gave him this "W(hy)TF are you even asking me that?" look that had me :haha: .

Re: the booing, I saw some Aussie flags in the stands. My guess would be it was just a few Groth fans who didn't mean any harm, as tactless as it was.

OMFG! I was on the floor :haha:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Love it how Vee can rech semis by defeating only one player from top60 (Kleybanova) :haha: :rolls: :lol:

Lots of top players have been enjoying easy draws--why shouldn't Vee?

starin
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM

well Groth is a known ball basher i.e. ue queen, maybe just keeping the ball in play wasn't such a stupid idea. But yeah Venus is such an unbelievable pusher these days. I hate watching her play when she plays like this.

andrewC
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Veeee :banana: kick some more

Ntosake
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Well done Venus! Glad you shook off the assholes that booed, and pulled out the win.

Oh and good fight, Groth.

matty
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Congrats Vee!

VishaalMaria
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Well she did have Jelena Jankovic in her draw, so it's not her fault these "top players" bomb out early

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Well she did have Jelena Jankovic in her draw, so it's not her fault these "top players" bomb out early

:lol: I actually forgot Jankovic was in this draw. I can't believe she didn't get past the 4th rd again:help:

ZODIAC
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
roddick is almost out

Joe.
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Nice performance from Groth. :yeah:

AnDrEi.b
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Congrats

GreenEvgeny
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
what a bad performance... can't believe vee played like this in 2nd week

Sp!ffy
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I havent been paying attention at all to the bottom half of the draw...mainly because these performances by Vee, Kim, Justine are just sad. All the good action is coming from the top half of the draw surprisingly and I am confident that whoever wins this title will come from the top half.

Anago
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I was rooting for Groth to pull this one out until I saw the rest of that half of the draw...

akosijepoy
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
close tight match. jarmilla was playing really aggressive and was just determined to bring it to Vee. too bad she lost. But i'm glad vee won bec I really want her to win! If there's one thing positive about here is that Vee's movement is great and no sign of the speculated knee Injury!

Thanx4nothin
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Groth has an amazing serve and a really effective forehand! Venus really annoyed me in this match though with the constant switch from either pushing the ball or overhitting wildly. I haven't been overly impressed with Venus so far this tournament, as compared to last year, I'm expecting her to lose to Kim, should that be the semi-final.

akosijepoy
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
i also like how positive she is in her post match interview... good sign

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
This match was closer than expected but glad my girl Vee pulled it out. Time to turn it up now....the final is so close! NO MERCY VENUS WILLIAMS!

vwfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
How is a straight sets win barely escaping? :rolleyes:exactly. Vee moves through--ugly or not. :devil:

vwfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke,... Nerves, Nerves, Nerves, Nerves... :oand now,
GONE! GONE! GONE!:devil:

next.

harloo
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
:lol: Venus was a hot ass mess in this match but as they say ON TO THE NEXT ONE!! This match is over and forgotten about. Congrats Vee!! Make the final!!:wavey:

cn ireland
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Closer than expected but a win is a win:yeah:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
exactly. Vee moves through--ugly or not. :devil:

The match was not ugly. Of course Groth was dictating play, but Venus rose to the challenge :shrug:

http://i45.tinypic.com/hvpjkk.jpg

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
and now,
GONE! GONE! GONE!:devil:

next.

I'm still trying to understand how Groth choked. The thing is she never was in the position to win :shrug:

vwfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
What a CHOKE :help: Kim and Justine battle it out in 4R while Venus continues to coast through her fluffy cotton candy draw, playing nothing but scrubs until she reaches the semifinals :tape:Yeah, because the other five times she won this tournament are mere flukes and Justine and Kim are really the tournament favorites.:help::tape:

soft draw or not, she's the best grasscourt player there is so most of the time it is on her racket no matter who she's playing.

vwfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
It's okay, Hingis made sure to beat Venus the last time they played to take the lead in the head-to-head :drool:ok. then so get over it.;)

vwfan
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Love it how Vee can rech semis by defeating only one player from top60 (Kleybanova) :haha: :rolls: :lol:Go Venus. The title is yours with your lucky draw and cakewalk opponents.

Same ole same--doing this eight times to get to the finals and 5 times to win it. Shame.:rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
That was the first time I watched Groth. She has decent power. Another interesting player heading to the hardcourt season

croat123
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:50 PM
how did venus not know how/when to get to court 2?? she played a doubles match there already this tournament :o

volta
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Improve Vinas :(

Calypso
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Nice win Venus, tense 2nd set!

Groth played well, she'll learn from this loss and come back stronger.

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
how did venus not know how/when to get to court 2?? she played a doubles match there already this tournament :o

Players are usually escorted to the courts. She was waiting for someone to get her like she usual? :shrug:

nadlinds
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Great fight Venus :)

I felt sorry for you when you got booed by the crowd :sad:

Sp!ffy
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'm still trying to understand how Groth choked. The thing is she never was in the position to win :shrug:

She was supposed to serve for the 2nd set twice. She was never in the position to win the actual match but she couldve taken it to 3 sets which would be nice for a match this far into the tournament.

Andy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Well done Venus!!!! Best of luck next round.

hankqq
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Groth played well and is fitter/more consistent than ever. Venus was sloppy today though, and didn't make Groth move enough. Hopefully Venus will improve in her next match :)

Dodoboy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Saw GROTH so many times today! Didn't recognise her, TILL i came home!

Didn't even take a pic :crying2:

Dodoboy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Oh and Well done Venus!

Very close though!

Leo_DFP
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Groth was very impressive today. She played within herself and displayed beautiful technique on her serve and groundstrokes. I particularly like her service motion and how well she can place it. But yes, after she missed that ball that she thought clipped the line (which would have given her 15-40), I noticed she began to panic more and look frequently over to her team in the stands. She needs more experience in pressure matches.

But 6 wins and two R16 finishes at the FO and W back-to-back is exciting and promising. She's showing that she can win matches against lesser players on different surfaces, and today she proved that she could keep up with the big girls. Future Top 10 IMO, definitely 15.

Mr.Kardashian
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Groth's groundstrokes reminded me of Dokic. well played this was a really entertaining match

Leo_DFP
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Groth's groundstrokes reminded me of Dokic. well played this was a really entertaining match

And thankfully for her, unlike Dokic, she's finding her best fitness and form not at 17 but at a bit of an older age. She seems mature (and not oppressed by a psychotic father) and perhaps ready to handle success. I'm excited to see if she can continue to build on this amazing spring. Also noticed Cahill saying that both she and Sam work with the same fitness trainer. He's clearly a man you want in your team.

Infiniti2001
Jun 29th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Huh? watch the video again .

NcfwkxPHu20

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f3/fullj.fad5ae9b2a3da205bdee320094cdb0aa/fad5ae9b2a3da205bdee320094cdb0aa-getty-98881610th081_the_champions.jpg

Kirt12255
Jun 29th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Wow...Groth was good! But experience can't be taught.
:yeah:Absolutely ;-) Pushing a player like Venus, when she reflects, has to gain a few experience and confidence points.
As for Jarka choking....well we all know her hubby isn't winning matches on the ATP, the poor girls has the pressure of paying the bills. Joking..clearly before peeps get antsy-pantsy. ;) Good luck to Venus in the rest.

ZODIAC
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I think a lot of people are underestimating Vee this year at Wimbledon but I have a feeling that she will stun whoever whenever they meet...I have a strong feeling about Vee gaining ground at this event.
I VEELIEVE!!!

ZODIAC
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM
does anyone know why the linesjudge reported Groth to the umpire

Huntress55
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Audible obscenity.

ZODIAC
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Kimmy poo tweeeted that its raining at Wimbledon and now Vee has to deal with rain delays on Court 1...this is just wrong,princess Fiona has never been close to a final at Wimbledon why are they dissing Vee like that.Karma is a bitch the belgian will not win Wimbledon and thats a fact.

~Eclipsed~
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Nice job Venus even if you did struggle a little bit at the end! :)

The Witch-king
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Kimmy poo tweeeted that its raining at Wimbledon and now Vee has to deal with rain delays on Court 1...this is just wrong,princess Fiona has never been close to a final at Wimbledon why are they dissing Vee like that.Karma is a bitch the belgian will not win Wimbledon and thats a fact.

IS it still raining in Wimbeldon???

Coke Zero
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM

He wanted to feel important and/or get on TV