PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Capriati Hospitalized After Apparent OD

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
http://www.tmz.com/

TMZ has learned former teen tennis star Jennifer Capriati was rushed to the hospital early this morning after paramedics responded to a call for a possible overdose.

Sources tell TMZ the call came from a hotel in Riviera Beach, FL. Capriati was transported to a nearby hospital.

TMZ spoke with Jennifer's father who tells us she's recovering well.

Capriati won 14 career titles, including three Grand Slams. She also won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
This is so sad to hear :sad:. I was just talking to a few people yesterday about Jen's career, personal problems and comeback.

fawnrc
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
OMG, wonder what kind. Thought she was free from that hold!!

Atomic
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM
:eek:

Tennis Fool
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
What :eek:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM

I'm sure more info will be known tomorow. This news just broke about 20 minutes ago. :sad:

Daniel K
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
:sad:

viele
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM
This is truly awful news! My mind is swirling with ??? Guess we'll find out more tomorrow!

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM
TMZ is not a reliable source, I would not believe it is OD until confirm by a reputable news source.

Get well soon Jen

Randy H
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Very sad :( Unfortunately, I'm not entirely surprised - Every interview or article that I've read about Jennifer since her injury forced her into retirement, has sounded like she's really struggled to find her way away from the sport. One of the downfalls especially for someone who was a teen prodigy, is that tennis is all she's ever known, and I often felt that she herself didn't know who she was without professional tennis. Hopefully this can act as a wake up call to Jennifer so that she can do some real soul searching and find happiness within.

égalité
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:16 AM
oh my goodness :speakles:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM
This is truly awful news! My mind is swirling with ??? Guess we'll find out more tomorrow!

I was shocked aswell when i saw the headline. I just hope she isn't in too bad of shape. :hug:

So Disrespectful
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Very sad news.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM
TMZ is not a reliable source, I would not believe it is OD until confirm by a reputable news source.

Get well soon Jen

The same thing crossed my mind. But i really doubt they would totally make up a story. TMZ has allot of connections and can break news early. In anycase, i hope it's not too serious.

edificio
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Wow. That is bad news. I hope it is just a TMZ exaggeration. Best wishes to her.

Tennisstar86
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Not that shocking really... Ive suspected since we havent really seen her out in the public.

Steffica Greles
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Poor Jennifer.

She was a loss to the WTA prematurely, I felt, when quite suddenly she was forced out by injuries in 2004. It's never been quite the same since, for a number of reasons, but her absence being one of them.

I really am sorry to read that. She deserves a happy retirement where she can look back on the amazing feat of turning her career around when she was virtually down and out. Nobody expected it, and she did it.

Sammo
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Overdose :eek:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM
She came back briefly on that reality show and got injured in like the 2nd episode. I think she is really struggling to find an identity after tennis. I don't even think she is physically able to maybe even do some exos or something.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
So sad to hear, hope she'll be okay

MH0861
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:35 AM
:eek:

Anabelcroft
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
former teen tennis star...
Capriati won 14 career titles, including three Grand Slams. She also won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.[/B]

Not mentioning that she was former world number 1 but that she was "former teen tennis star"...

Salve
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Get well soon Jen

To the contrary, TMZ is quite reputable.

mykarma
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
http://www.tmz.com/

TMZ has learned former teen tennis star Jennifer Capriati was rushed to the hospital early this morning after paramedics responded to a call for a possible overdose.

Sources tell TMZ the call came from a hotel in Riviera Beach, FL. Capriati was transported to a nearby hospital.

TMZ spoke with Jennifer's father who tells us she's recovering well.

Capriati won 14 career titles, including three Grand Slams. She also won a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.
how sad, hope it's not true.

pokey camp
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Oh dear... I'm glad they were able to get her to a hospital in time.

Get well soon Jen
Unfortunately when it comes to hospital news, TMZ is probably the most reliable source out there. They have informants and pay for their information. They usually get stories like this right.

viele
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
The comments about her not finding an identity after tennis is very interesting. This is why I go :confused: when the sisters, Sharapova, and others are criticzed for having interests off the court. They will never have any problems with adjusting to life when their careers are over. But if you just devote your life to tennis and tennis only and don't develop other interests or trades then what do you do when it comes to an end? Tennis doesn't last forever but your life must continue. Here's to hoping Jen recovers and finds her way in life.

tae04
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Poor Jen. Hope she gets over her demons if this is true.

DefyingGravity
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
The comments about her not finding an identity after tennis is very interesting. This is why I go :confused: when the sisters, Sharapova, and others are criticzed for having interests off the court. They will never have any problems with adjusting to life when their careers are over. But if you just devote your life to tennis and tennis only and don't develop other interests or trades then what do you do when it comes to an end? Tennis doesn't last forever but your life must continue. Here's to hoping Jen recovers and finds her way in life.

Exactly.

I hope that at some point she may become an agent or something in the sport, so that she always feels the connection and that the sport is near her, but that might not be healthy either. And I agree, it's better to have outside interests when playing tennis. The Williams sisters, Sharapova, and Clijsters have all got vices on the way out meanwhile Justine, Safina, Ivanovic...they may or may not have anything to keep them sane!

Stamp Paid
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I called it a few days ago.
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=18040459&postcount=67
Venus' knee, now this.

cellophane
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Terrible news :(

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Venus' knee, now this.

:scared: What say you for Wingis? :unsure:

Amalgamate
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
This is very sad :sad: Get better Jen!

.ivy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Exactly.

I hope that at some point she may become an agent or something in the sport, so that she always feels the connection and that the sport is near her, but that might not be healthy either. And I agree, it's better to have outside interests when playing tennis. The Williams sisters, Sharapova, and Clijsters have all got vices on the way out meanwhile Justine, Safina, Ivanovic...they may or may not have anything to keep them sane!

I think that was certainly true for Justine in her first career, but after she burned out, she went back to school and tried to find herself/experience more...after that she realized how much she missed tennis. I think she's more well rounded now.

Back on topic to Jen, I hope she's doing all right. I've no doubt this is true since TMZ is an extremely reliable source.

jefrilibra
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:05 AM
OMG!!! Not again Jennifer!

This is really sad.:sad::sad::sad:

hurricanejeanne
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Good God! :sad::eek:

I remember a couple of years ago there was an article/interview with Jen where she talked about being depressed and the like, but dear god. I hope she can get the help she needs and finds something that makes her happy soon. :sad: Jen is a great comeback person, and even though she can't come back to tennis, I hope she can in her life.

Arnian
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
This is really awful....

Stamp Paid
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
:scared: What say you for Wingis? :unsure:She did herself in, I didnt even have to put a hex on her :lol::lol:

Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I hate this! There is always a part of me that anticipates any bit of news I can get about Jennifer but this is NOT the news any fan wants to hear obviously! I hope that TMZ made the OD part up when hearing news about Jennifer going to the hospital. I knew she was depressed after having to quit tennis but I honestly never expected for this to happen. If it is true...I hope she recovers well and takes it as a wake up call to get herself together and can finally discover happiness after tennis :( This makes me so sad!! Stay strong Jen! All of your fans still miss and love you and are thankful for the inspiration you brought into our lives!

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I hate this! There is always a part of me that anticipates any bit of news I can get about Jennifer but this is NOT the news any fan wants to hear obviously! I hope that TMZ made the OD part up when hearing news about Jennifer going to the hospital. I knew she was depressed after having to quit tennis but I honestly never expected for this to happen. If it is true...I hope she recovers well and takes it as a wake up call to get herself together and can finally discover happiness after tennis :( This makes me so sad!! Stay strong Jen! All of your fans still miss and love you and are thankful for the inspiration you brought into our lives!
I too hope the OD part is made up.

Milito22
sad :(

Buitenzorg
oh dear...Jen :sad: pls get well soon!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I wish we could send a big fan mail thing to her so she can know people still care about her and her well being

LeRoy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM

Classless. :rolleyes::mad::o

Get well soon, Jenny. :sad:

XaDavK_Kapri
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:22 AM
This is terrible news. :sad: I miss her so much and to hear that she's probably unhappy in her retirement is so sad. Hope she recovers quickly and can sort everything out before too much damage is done. :(

XaDavK_Kapri
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I wish we could send a big fan mail thing to her so she can know people still care about her and her well being
We should

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
We should
How?

delicatecutter
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM
So unfortunate. She was my fave player's nemesis for so long but I would never wish this upon her. However, I can truly relate and hope she can get herself together.

XaDavK_Kapri
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:27 AM
How?
No idea, I suck at setting this kinda stuff up. :p Anyone knows how we could do this ?

LeRoy.
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM
No idea, I suck at setting this kinda stuff up. :p Anyone knows how we could do this ?

Does she still have an official website/fan page ? we could contact the webmaster and send them our messages and ask him/her to try and send it to the Capriati team ?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM

Maybe somehow we can get her agents address ( if she still has one ) and then he/she can forward the card/well wishes to Jen ? :confused:

Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
We should

Would love that! How can we do it?

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Would love that! How can we do it?
I did a quick google search, but could not find a site in her name

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Jennifer :sad: Even though she doesn't really have an education beyond tennis, I hope she realizes there are tons of things she can do to give her life purpose. She can do charity work, work on an autobiography, etc etc.

The reality is that most of the girls on tour don't know much else besides tennis, and many of them end up in a coaching or commentary role almost immediately after their playing careers are done, if they don't become mothers first. People like the Williams Sisters and Sharapova are the exception, not the norm.

Unfortunately, TMZ is a pretty reliable source with this type of news. They announced Michael Jackson's death before any other news outlet.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Found this. Her "fan mail" address

http://www.fanmail.biz/1653.html

yukon145
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
so sad, depression it seems really has taken a hold of Jennifer. :sad:

I remember reading the NY Times article about her a few years ago and it was so hard to hear that she was struggling with her post tennis life. It seems she's had self esteem and depression issues in the past as well. I really hope that this is a wake up call as well and she can get some help.

She should help the USTA with player development or something related. She could have a life in tennis, even if she's not playing.

yukon145
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
it seems very true for those who don't trust TMZ:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/jennifer-capriatis-suspected-overdose-20100628-zd83.html

Serenita
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:03 AM
So sad!

friendsita
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:05 AM
:( hope she gets well

BlackPanther.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:08 AM
:eek::eek::eek:
Get well soon :hug::hug:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:10 AM
The only yankee player I like :sad:

Hope she recovers soon

Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Found this. Her "fan mail" address

http://www.fanmail.biz/1653.html

thanks for this! Even if we don't end up sending a big group letter...this is nice to know about so thank you

tennnisfannn
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
TMZ broke the nes about michael's jackson's death and Tiger's womanizing, looks like they are very keen on thiese sorts of things

tonybotz
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:27 AM
omg Jenny!! i want to hug her.

Bayo
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Just horrible. Wishing the best for her.

tonybotz
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:44 AM
thanks for this! Even if we don't end up sending a big group letter...this is nice to know about so thank you

the irony of your name is too much! :devil:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:46 AM
The mods should set this up quick

Stamp Paid
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:51 AM
the irony of your name is too much! :devil:I Know right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha::haha::haha:
I was gonna say something but I figured I had done enough in this thread already :lol::lol::lol::lol:

brickhousesupporter
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Riviera Beach.....What is she doing in the bad part of Palm Beach County? I hope she is doing well.

Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM
the irony of your name is too much! :devil:

I know. I set this account up eight years ago when I was just 22. It seemed like a cool name at the time. It still doesn't really bother me so I've just left it as that.

mykarma
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Riviera Beach.....What is she doing in the bad part of Palm Beach County? I hope she is doing well.
I wish I knew how to post gif's. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Miranda
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
a speedy recovery for Jen :angel:

seems she is struggling after her retirement, I hope she is going to find a good man soon, and by then, all her problems would be gone:wavey:

simonsaystennis
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Jen :sad: Such sad news. Hope she recovers and finds happiness off the court.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I wish I knew how to post gif's. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I was just suprised that she was in Palm Beach County. I did not know that she lived there. Used to be my neck of the woods. Family sitll lives West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens. I wonder what hotel it was I probably know it.

......now that I think about she did buy a condo on Singer Island. How did I forget that.

TS
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Sad news. We all knew she was struggling with life after tennis but she's a fighter and she can come through this.

mckyle.
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hopefully this inspires another comeback

Andrew..
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Regardless of how you felt of her as a player (fan, hater, indifferent, etc.), this really is a sad development if it is true.

The idea of forming an identity outside of tennis is obviously a valid one, however it's not really appropriate to bring other players into the mix on this one. This is, clearly, a situation that should be taken on a person-by-person basis. Unfortunately, Jennifer does have a history with off-court "issues". I, like I assume most others, sincerely hoped that these were behind her - and for a very long time, from an outside perspective, it genuinely seemed like they were.

It appears in this case there is a situation where one of the very best at what she does is afflicted with issues that most of us cannot understand. I wish her only the best in rebuilding her life.

At the same time, drawing comparisons to other players who have "outside interests" that have at many times arguably drawn them pretty far away from their profession (with negative consequences), is inappropriate. There's obviously much more at play here. There are many tennis players who have had fabulous careers and gone on to lead fabulous lives post-WTA/ATP, and we haven't heard about all of their additional interests. This is a case of a person who is incredible at her job, but has underlying issues - which anyone can have, in any line of work. Not much else has to be brought into the conversation.

The bottom line is that I hope she can recover and live a meaningful, fulfilled life. I don't think anyone is going to disagree with me on this point.

Williamsfan4ever
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I pray Jen Gets well soon.

Stamp Paid
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:55 AM
She would have been a great tennis coach.
I dont know why she didn't go that route.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Send your wishes to Jennifer here

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=413333

Brooklyn90
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Very sad to hear :sad: I hope she gets well soon!

ZODIAC
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think she is depressed...USTA should give her something to do like a coaching job or mentoring youngsters...poor Cappy

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Her parents obviously did an awful job preparing her for life.

I too have seen a few of her interviews in the past few years, and she sounds kind of sad. She doesnt seem to have any type of "significant other" in her life. She is probably very lonely and unable to deal without playing as a pro.

Hopefully she can kill those demons inside of her at somepoint.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Her parents obviously did an awful job preparing her for life. .
Very bad timing for that kind talk right now,

There is a Get Well Wishes thread on the first page of GM if you'd like to contribute

tenn_ace
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Not sure why everyone is so sad. Taking drugs was her choice - the choice she made after being clean for a few years, i.e. in a mature age.

I wish her to recover quickly and get her act together. But I'm not going to feel bad for her - I will save that for billions of people in this world who have it much MUCH worse.

Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Not sure why everyone is so sad. Taking drugs was her choice - the choice she made after being clean for a few years, i.e. in a mature age.

I wish her to recover quickly and get her act together. But I'm not going to feel bad for her - I will save that for billions of people in this world who have it much MUCH worse.

Maybe because just six years ago we watched her fight for every point with a fierceness that many players do not possess...we watched someone who had grown up in the spotlight and then burned out early come back and find love and passion for a sport that we all love ourselves...and now we here that that same girl (after being forced into early retirement due to injury) is possibly over dosing on drugs in some apartment room and dealing with severe depression. No matter how you cut it...that's pretty sad. And even if she wasn't born into poverty or physical abuse or whatever...she is a public figure that we are connected to that is going through a really tough time so we are allowed to be sad.

wildemu
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
the timing of it is suspicious. I hope she didn't get depressed because of not being an active pro anymore and all these tennis headlines getting her down.

young_gunner913
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Jennifer, WTH.

Barrie_Dude
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:12 AM
This is horrible news. :sad:

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/06/27/jennifer-capriati-hospitalized/

pokey camp
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Save your compassion? Eh. Compassion is not a finite good. :o

Elwin.
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
That crazy!
Jen needs help :sad:

Poor Jennifer :hug:

vixter
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:35 AM

There is always people in the world who have it worse. But it's still natural to feel sorry for people that we feel we know or feel close to. And good is that. If I would be sick or depressed I'd like people to care, yes, even though there are others who may have it worse.

It's not about taking drugs. The girl is depressed and have lost much of her will to live, so yes, I think this is pretty sad.

Princeza
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Sad. Hope she gets good help.

olivero
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM

Serenita
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Was it an accidental OD or did she wanted to die?

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:02 AM
That poor woman:sad:. If these rumours are true (I think that they probably are), then Jen needs all the help that can be supplied.

galadriel
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Sad news :sad:

Calypso
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Really sad news. So much turmoil in her life!

Coke Zero
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:12 AM
If I don't have [tennis], who am I? What am I? I was just alive because of this. I've had to ask, 'Well, who is Jennifer? What if this is gone now?' I can't live off of this the rest of my life.

She needs to get back into tennis in any capacity after this. :tears:

StephenUK
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Very sad news. Being injured all that time must have got her down and her life must seem a bit purposeless. The fact that she still hasn't officially retired shows that she has never accepted her time in tennis is over; at 34, the fact is that she could never expect to be winning slams again even if she does come back.

Jennifer has clearly had more than her fair share of problems in the past. I would guess that added to any emotional problems, she is probably in trouble financially - it's been years since she made anything out of tennis, any endorsements would have dried up years ago and appearing on a reality show is often a symptom of financial turmoil for a celebrity. Jennifer is probably worse equipped than most other stars for tennis retirement as she is not very articulate so it is doubtful she would make the grade as a commentator (cf Lindsay Davenport), she never had the outside interests of a Williams and I doubt she has the financial acumen of property tycoon Jankovic. Unlike many other older players, she has never played doubles so she won't be able to prolong a career that way. So that leaves becoming a coach, but what tennis player would want a suicidal coach? Jennifer gives the impression of being poorly educated and not very bright - exactly the sort of person who will struggle in life once her major talents - the athletic ones- dry up, cf Paul Gascoigne the English footballer (soccer player to you Americans). You just have to hope that she has the right people around her who will help her and that she is not surrounded by the sort of vultures that some celebrities unfortunately attract.

scheele
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Awful news. Hope she gets the help she needs quickly.

flareon
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM
But by 2007, it was starting to come apart again.
In July that year she admitted to suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1290204/Jennifer-Capriati-rushed-hospital-drugs-overdose.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0s8gtBLLe

This is from the Daily Mail, I did not realise how sad Jen was :sad:

bandabou
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hmmmm...sad, sad. Get well soon, Jenjen!

Elenarulez
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I pray Jen Gets well soon.

because that changes anything :tape:

John.
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:25 AM
:eek: OMG Jen

Sammy Stones
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:27 AM
this is awful. the first tennis match I saw was RG 2001 final and I started playing tennis because of her.

this news is terrible for her public image and if she wasn't doing things before, I don't see this helping at all.

José Morgado
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Oh Jenny. We still love you...

watchdogfish
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Please send your well wishes to Jennifer here :awww:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=413333

Singleniacki
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Jen :hug:

timafi
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
:speakles:

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Any news on the substance? :scratch:

yukon145
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Any news on the substance? :scratch:

why does it matter? all that matters is that Jenn gets better and the help she needs.

dav abu
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Oh Jenny. We still love you...

well said... hope she is ok :hug:

Daniel
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hope she recovers soon :hug:

Drake1980
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Harsh!:eek:
I was just thinking about her randomly last night night too.

strictennis
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
BREAK POINT for her!

soomaal
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hope you get well Jen. Much love.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Did ESPN or any commentators mention this?

erschloy214
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Jennifer is my all time favorite tennis player....it is sad that we don't hear much about her...and when we do, this is the headline. She is a fighter and I know she will get through these tough times! Hopefully she can only go up from here.

Super Dave
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Did ESPN or any commentators mention this?

I don't know about ESPN, but NBC hasn't said a word about it yet. :)

Boreas
Jun 28th, 2010, 02:36 PM
She overdosed with whatever drug she was taking and the TF posters go with how much of an inspiration she is?:weirdo: Yeah, she's a true role model.

shirley
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hope Jennifer gets well soon :hug:

friendsita
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM
ESPN LA said it was "apparently" medication abuse.

doktor
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:15 PM

that was my first thought, prescription pain killers

tennnisfannn
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
celebrities seem to prefer 'medication' abuse, don't want to seem like drug junkies!

Beat
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
She overdosed with whatever drug she was taking and the TF posters go with how much of an inspiration she is?:weirdo: Yeah, she's a true role model.

does it really take so much brain to understand that she's not an inspiration for taking drugs, but for being a fighter and a champion?

tonybotz
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Jenny has struggled with her demons since she was a kid - to those of us who have been there, had depression, drug and alcohol issues, she is an inspiration. She rose up from the muck and found happiness. now she's suffering again, and i support the hell out of her. it's not like she took drugs, failed a drug test and lied about it.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know about ESPN, but NBC hasn't said a word about it yet. :)
All the article I have seen are quoting TMZ.
No other confirmation
I just do not want to believe it is OD again.
This was a pretty low in her life when it happen the first time.

sipnsurfMurph
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Get well Jenny, best regards!

ce
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
oh dear :hug:

tonybotz
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
could be a drug interaction. everyone is prescribed so much crap these days, but no one checks to see how these drugs interact.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Get well Jenny, best regards!
There is a stcicky Get Well Wishes thread on the first page of GM.

Feel free to add your wishes there

rada
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Oh Jen.......

winone23
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Poor Jennifer, I hope she get's well.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Jenny has struggled with her demons since she was a kid - to those of us who have been there, had depression, drug and alcohol issues, she is an inspiration. She rose up from the muck and found happiness. now she's suffering again, and i support the hell out of her. it's not like she took drugs, failed a drug test and lied about it.
While I understand what you are saying, she really is not an inspiration, because she fell off the wagon. That does not seem like something that would lead to inspiration with someone in the same situation. It makes you feel like there is no hope. I often tell people in similar situations, to not look for outside sources of inspirition, but look inside. You can only control yourself and what you do. People will always let you down.

Joe.
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Bless her. :sad: Recover soon Jen. :hug:

tonybotz
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
who are you to say what is an inspiration? do you realize how personal inspiration is? she fell off the wagon, she is human. humans make mistakes. it's okay we fail at times, as long as we get back up and move on.
maybe people will always let YOU down, but i choose to see the beauty in our flaws.

Dandy_Warhol
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:56 PM
:speakles:

get well soon, Jen :hug:

*JR*
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
She told me in an email about 4 years ago that if she couldn't return to the game, she wanted to work with kids, etc. But though I gave her a few examples of how she could, Jen never followed thru on mine or anyone else's, so I figured she wasn't serious like Andrea Jaeger was. The only public thing I recall was her testimony to Congress maybe 3 years ago in support of Title IX (re. gender equity in sports funding). She clearly needs a purpose in life "larger than herself". :shrug:

noamgdi
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
very sad :sad:

Gallofa
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
So, so sorry to hear.

The WTA should take care of its teen prodigies. They make enough money off them to care about them after they retire. There should be programmes (real mentorships of some kind) to give these girls an education of some sort: hobbies, interests, interships, something, so that they can grow up and have a life to look forward to beyond tennis.

tucker1989
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
why does it matter? all that matters is that Jenn gets better and the help she needs.

Why are you getting defensive? Of course, Jen's recovery is the most important thing, but don't knock someone for being curious about what happened.

Ntosake
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Sorry to hear about this.
I wish her all the best in her recovery.

serenafan08
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Bless her heart. :awww: :o She just has to find some type of happiness beyond tennis; there's more to life than forehands and backhands. I really hope she can get herself together; she looked so good @ the US Open finals in '08 (that was the last time I saw her).

gourownway
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Perhaps a bit more light shed on the issue:
http://www.page2live.com/2010/06/28/former-tennis-star-jennifer-capriati-overdoses-in-fancy-riviera-beach-condo-treated-at-st-marys/#more-24978
Maybe not as "bad" as TMZ reports it to be.....I don't know, but I wish her well.

Mr. Magassi
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
They are calling it an "accidental" overdose of painkillers... c'mon Jenn!! We love you... (well, I do any way :)

Amalgamate
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Has this been posted?

Q. Jennifer Capriati, are you going to get in touch with her?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I probably will definitely see how that goes and pray for everyone involved. If there's any way I can do anything to help, reach out, I definitely will do that.

Mr. Magassi
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Q. There are reports in the U.S. today that Jennifer Capriati is receiving treatment in hospital. How big of an influence was she on your career growing up?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Gosh, it's a little while ago. I mean, I watched her play back in the day, and I thought she was really good. I remember her match against Monica in the semifinals of the Open. I remember watching that and just thinking how great that tennis was.

So definitely a lot of fond memories just watching her growing up, and obviously even playing against her, respecting her game so much. I haven't heard any of this, so I don't know what's going on.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Just heard the news. I haven't read any of the posts because the (hopefully few) negative ones would be too upsetting. I just drop in to say that I love Jen and that I hope for a quick recovery. She's been having a rough time lately, but hopefully she realizes that there are people out there - including her fans on TF who really care about her and want nothing but the best for her. We loved and supported her through all the highs and lows of her career and we do, and will continue to do so now that her career is over. Please get well and take good care of yourself Jenny. You don't know us, and you probably never will, but we care. :hug:

Amanda
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Praying for Jennifer....get well...stay well!

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
While I understand what you are saying, she really is not an inspiration, because she fell off the wagon. That does not seem like something that would lead to inspiration with someone in the same situation. It makes you feel like there is no hope. I often tell people in similar situations, to not look for outside sources of inspirition, but look inside. You can only control yourself and what you do. People will always let you down.

You're an idiot. A probable suicide attempt (with prescription painkillers) due to a long struggle with depression isn't "falling off the wagon".

If you told someone with depression to just "look inside themselves" to get better, they'd have all right to punch you. Depression is an illness, no different to cancer, not a mental weakness.

sandv1
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
NBC just reported that Jenny is "in stable condition" and "will make a full recovery."

Her family is asking that her privacy is to be respected (of course.)

Talula
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Just heard the news. I haven't read any of the posts because the (hopefully few) negative ones would be too upsetting. I just drop in to say that I love Jen and that I hope for a quick recovery. She's been having a rough time lately, but hopefully she realizes that there are people out there - including her fans on TF who really care about her and want nothing but the best for her. We loved and supported her through all the highs and lows of her career and we do, and will continue to do so now that her career is over. Please get well and take good care of yourself Jenny. You don't know us, and you probably never will, but we care. :hug:

Like you I dread what some people may have said on here. Like you I care. I loved Jen's rivalries with Serena, Martina, Monica et al. Jen played and won during a golden age for the WTA.

Depression can hit anyone at any time and those that are negative about Jennifer's illness need to be very careful about what goes around...

Take care Jennifer and get well soon.

tennisbum79
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
NBC just reported that Jenny is "in stable condition" and "will make a full recovery."

Nice to hear

cn ireland
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Poor Jen:sad:!

Hope she's better soon.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM

That's good to hear :)

thrust
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Actually, just about all the comments have been very kind and supportive. What a tragedy that Jennifer got involved with drugs! If not, her career would have been much greater than it actually was. But then, if it was an overdose of pain killers that should be considered understandable. Chronic pain is a horrible experience, so those who suffer from it are prone to overdose. I was never a big fan of hers, but wish her all the best for a speedy recovery and a painless happy life.

cakiteror
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
She is such a champ!
She will be ok:)

brickhousesupporter
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM
You're an idiot. A probable suicide attempt (with prescription painkillers) due to a long struggle with depression isn't "falling off the wagon".

If you told someone with depression to just "look inside themselves" to get better, they'd have all right to punch you. Depression is an illness, no different to cancer, not a mental weakness.

You totally misunderstood what i was saying but judging your posting history it is not the first time you rant out of control.

I was not speaking about Jenn's situation. I was speaking about someone who suffers from substance abuse using Jenn as an inspiration. You will never be successful if you get clean for someone else or because of someone else. You have to do it for you.

dsanders06
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
You totally misunderstood what i was saying but judging your posting history it is not the first time you rant out of control.

I was not speaking about Jenn's situation. I was speaking about someone who suffers from substance abuse using Jenn as an inspiration. You will never be successful if you get clean for someone else or because of someone else. You have to do it for you.

You said that this overdose shows she's "fallen off the wagon".

sweetpeas
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Get well Jenn.We love you!!

goldenlox
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Clijsterskim (http://twitter.com/Clijsterskim)

I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jen! I hope she makes it through ok and can get some help!

manu32
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM

great post as always,all is said...

manu32
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Clijsterskim (http://twitter.com/Clijsterskim)

I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jen! I hope she makes it through ok and can get some help!

great friendship as we know

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=5336398

Capriati stable; full recovery expected

Former tennis star Jennifer Capriati was recovering Monday from an accidental overdose of prescribed medication, a family spokeswoman said.

The 34-year-old Capriati, once ranked No. 1 in a career sidetracked by personal troubles, was in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery, spokeswoman Lacey Wickline told The Associated Press. She declined to identify the medication.

Capriati was rushed to a South Florida hospital early Sunday morning, she said. Wickline would not say how Capriati was found or who called emergency services.

Jennifer Capriati, seen at the U.S. Open in 2008, is said to be in stable condition and expected to recover.
"In response to an outpouring of concern and support shown by Jennifer's fans and friends worldwide, we would like to acknowledge that Jen is recuperating at a South Florida hospital from an accidental overdose of medication prescribed to Jen by her personal physician," Wickline said. "Jen is recovering fully and stably."

Public records show Capriati owns a condo on Singer Island in Palm Beach County, Fla. Riviera Beach city spokeswoman Rose Anne Brown said a person was transported from Capriati's address Sunday morning but could not provide details, citing privacy laws. Nearby hospitals did not have a patient listed under Capriati's name.

Celebrity website TMZ first reported that Capriati was hospitalized.

At Wimbledon, Venus and Serena Williams paused after wins Monday to extend their concern.

"I probably will definitely see how that goes and pray for everyone involved," Serena Williams said. "If there's any way I can do anything to help, reach out, I definitely will do that."

Added Venus Williams: "I remember her match against Monica [Seles] in the semifinals of the [French] Open. I remember watching that and just thinking how great that tennis was. So definitely a lot of fond memories just watching her growing up, and obviously even playing against her, respecting her game so much."

Kim Clijsters also posted on her Twitter site, "I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jen! I hope she makes it through ok and can get some help!"

A child prodigy on the tennis court, Capriati burned out and retired several times from a game she had been pushed to play nearly her entire life.

Capriati was arrested in 1993 for shoplifting at a Florida mall, and again the next year for marijuana possession. She also spent more than a week in drug rehabilitation in 1994, and acquaintances alleged she used crack cocaine and heroin during a weekend party before her arrest at a Coral Gables motel.

Capriati, however, came back strong several times from both injuries and personal issues.

She won three majors -- two Australian Opens and one French Open between 2001-02 -- to go along with her gold medal in the 1992 Olympics. She was the youngest semifinalist at the French Open in 1990, when at age 14 she lost to Seles, the eventual champion.

Capriati reached the U.S. Open semifinals in 2003, losing to Justine Henin. She failed to gain any momentum from that run and soon faded from the game again.

laurie
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
That's terrible news.

I hope Jenny pulls through this, she means a lot to all of us who are from the 1990s generation.

The Dawntreader
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Awful news:sad:

A shame that Jen's life has been so turbulent. Hope she finds some kind of serenity hereafter.

plantman
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM
"I probably will definitely see how that goes and pray for everyone involved," Serena Williams said. "If there's any way I can do anything to help, reach out, I definitely will do that."

Added Venus Williams: "I remember her match against Monica [Seles] in the semifinals of the [French] Open. I remember watching that and just thinking how great that tennis was. So definitely a lot of fond memories just watching her growing up, and obviously even playing against her, respecting her game so much."

Kim Clijsters also posted on her Twitter site, "I haven't been able to stop thinking about Jen! I hope she makes it through ok and can get some help!"

:worship::worship:

Jen :sad:

Sending some prayers your way & hope that you make a speedy recovery!

swim4life227
Jun 29th, 2010, 12:44 AM
The same thing crossed my mind. But i really doubt they would totally make up a story. TMZ has allot of connections and can break news early. In anycase, i hope it's not too serious.

TMZ is generally pretty reliable. They were the first source to break the news that MJ died when many sources were still saying that he was just in a coma.

So sad for Jen but I am glad she is okay :( She looked rough on that ABC show last summer so I hope she's doing good.

GAGAlady
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Very sweet of vee and ree kim pay tribute to there fallen comrade...someone who really should still be contending for title if it wasnt for her breakdown of her shoulder...:(

get well Jen. dont let this disgusting gossip get u down we all love u so so much you have had such a profound impact on my life...and others as welll...xoxoxox i cried today. :(

love u babe!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:52 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/29/earlyshow/leisure/celebspot/main6629515.shtml

Jennifer Capriati Doing OK after OD, Friend Says

Former Tennis Star Justin Gimelstob Says Friend Doing Well Physically Following Accidental Overdose

(CBS)

Her family says she's recovering this morning after an accidental drug overdose.

As a teen, Capriati rose quickly rose through the ranks, capturing a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics. But after being arrested for shoplifting and marijuana possession a year later, her career quickly derailed. And though she did rally a decade later to win three Grand Slam titles, she's struggled ever since.

On "The Early Show" Tuesday, Justin Gimelstob, a former tennis star and a friend of Capriati's, said he's heard from Jennifer's mother, who told him Jennifer is doing well physically and is resting.

Gimelstob said, "(Jennifer's mother is) a very religious woman. She said God is good, God is taking care of her. It's the tabloids that might need God's help.' So there's a little resentment there, but Jennifer's been through so much. You can never tell the collateral damage that being a child prodigy has on you."

He continued, "It's tough. She's been through so many things and you just can't account for what it's like when you don't have a normal childhood, you don't have the social interaction. And she's a courageous woman, and look what she came back from just one time to come back and be No. 1 in the world and to be a multiple Grand Slam champion, but she said it best: She said tennis gives her the structure. Without that, that's when the problems ensue and she's had trouble finding an identity and a sense of purpose, especially when you're not able to finish on her own terms."

Gimelstob added Capriati's major shoulder surgeries haven't hampered her aspirations to play, "But she's in tremendous pain physically and mentally. She struggled with depression, and it's a tough story."

Gimelstob said Wimbledon's current play has made an impact on Capriati.

That's no doubt that, with the heightened focus with Wimbledon and tennis being on everyone's radar, that it makes her feel even worse," he said. "She feels like the tennis world has deserted her, but it couldn't be farther from the truth. So many players have such an outpouring of support and empathy. Jen is such a sweet spirit and has done so much great things in the sport and the spot loves her and only wishes her the best. But she has a huge void that she needs to fill. When you're a young prodigy and every single day of your life is based on trying to be the best you can be, when that's taken away from you, there's no telling what toll that has on you."

Barrie_Dude
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:31 PM
6gub7saW870&feature=fvw

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for posting BD :awww:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for posting BD :awww:
Loves me Jennifer :hug:

Barrie_Dude
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:23 AM