PDA

View Full Version : Is Bud Collins senile ? (about the Henin/Kim match)

LightWarrior
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Just heard him say on CNN : "The Clijsters/Henin match could be a potential final. Organizers have a possibility to juggle and should have made sure that they were in opposite sides of the draw". I understand that this guy must a hundred years old but that takes the cake. :rolleyes:

KournikovaFan91
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I assume he means Seed Henin high to lessen the chance they would meet in R16 :shrug:

young_gunner913
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Time to put him down.

Sean.
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM
It's true. :shrug: Obviously behind the WS I would have picked these two as favourites to make the final.

LightWarrior
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I assume he means Seed Henin high to lessen the chance they would meet in R16 :shrug:

No he did say "put them in opposite sides of the draw". I don't care what the senile man meant, he just said it.

thrust
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Time to put him down.

Perhaps English is not your native language, which is why you are unable to comprehend what Bud was saying. It is more likely that you are stupid, than Bud is senile.

Mike_T
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Don’t see anything too outlandish in what he said. His trousers, on the other hand.....he’s clearly one banana short of a bunch.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Donít see anything too outlandish in what he said. He trousers, on the other hand.....heís clearly one banana short of a bunch.

He's been wearing funky pants since the 80s (atleast) :lol:. I saw him at the USO a few years ago and he had on funky plaid shorts and a hawaiin type flower power shirt :spit::haha:

LightWarrior
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Donít see anything too outlandish in what he said. He trousers, on the other hand.....heís clearly one banana short of a bunch.

Oh really ? "Organizers having the possibility to juggle the draw" ? What is outlandish then ?

Sp!ffy
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:17 PM
He wanted them to fix the draw?

mckyle.
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I hate Bud Collins. Absolutely cannot stand him. Most annoying person in tennis.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Well then he is no more bonkers than the many posters in this forum who make posts implying they think draws can be or actually are fixed. Actually come to think of it that is pretty worrying. :help:

Donny
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Well then he is no more bonkers than the many posters in this forum who make posts implying they think draws can be or actually are fixed. Actually come to think of it that is pretty worrying. :help:

They aren't paid to post those thoughts. Nor are we forced to listen to them during tennis broadcasts.

young_gunner913
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Perhaps English is not your native language, which is why you are unable to comprehend what Bud was saying. It is more likely that you are stupid, than Bud is senile.

I was being sarcastic you dumbfuck. I could care less what Bud Collins thinks.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
They aren't paid to post those thoughts. Nor are we forced to listen to them during tennis broadcasts.

Indeed. No arguments from me.

Mike_T
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
What is outlandish then ? His trousers.

Oh really ? "Organizers having the possibility to juggle the draw" ?

I don’t know Collins well enough, but it sounds like a tongue in cheek comment that you’re taking too seriously. All I’m sure he meant was: certain players should have been seeded higher, so they met later, rather than sooner.

terjw
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Well if you think they are the 3rd and 4th most likely players to win (behind Serena and Venus) it seems pretty sensible to seed them #3 and #4 and would have ensured they can't meet until the final. On the other hand - we do at least get a Justine vs Kim match the way it is.

Tennisstar86
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It's true. :shrug: Obviously behind the WS I would have picked these two as favourites to make the final.

Kims never made a final here before.....She hasnt really factored at Wimbledon. She couldnt beat Venus on one leg in 03.....

terjw
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Draws are fixed for example so that the #1 and #2 seeds cannot meet before the final. Same for #3 and #4 seeds. And the seeding committee have the power to adjust the seedings from the rankings. I knew they wouldn't though - but they could have.

Tennisstar86
Jun 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Draws are fixed for example so that the #1 and #2 seeds cannot meet before the final. Same for #3 and #4 seeds. And the seeding committee have the power to adjust the seedings from the rankings. I knew they wouldn't though - but they could have.

Why would they bump up a player that has never made the finals?

Dominic
Jun 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM

:lol:

terjw
Jun 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Why would they bump up a player that has never made the finals?

Well #3 and #4 are expected to make the semis not the final. I said if you think they are 3rd and 4th most likely - which is what the bookies odds say. Who do you think are the 3rd and 4th most likely if we could have a balanced draw then - Caro and Jelena?

edificio
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I can see where he is coming from. Kim and Justine would seem to be the top players (along with nos. 1 and 2), even if Kim has never been in the final. But that much futzing with the rankings is not fair to the players who put in year-long stints to earn that no. 3, 4, 5, etc., spot.

As for whether he is senile, don't think so. He's just eccentric.

Cakeisgood
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I hate Bud Collins. Absolutely cannot stand him. Most annoying person in tennis.

Oh Lord, same. He's getting so irritating as he ages.

LoveFifteen
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:24 AM
He should have retired a long time ago. Now he's just embarrassing. I can't stand it when he's on. He contributes nothing, and he is slightly senile. He is even worse than Dick Enberg, which is quite an "amazing feet".

friendsita
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:43 AM
yes he is

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
what was the argument here when ws fans suggested the same thing when they suggested the same thing be done?? :lol: "the rankings are fine; the ws should play/win more to avoid this happening"

:lol:

edificio
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
He should have retired a long time ago. Now he's just embarrassing. I can't stand it when he's on. He contributes nothing, and he is slightly senile. He is even worse than Dick Enberg, which is quite an "amazing feet".

UNPOSSIBLE!:(

Impossible. Dick takes the cake. The young girls in their tennis dresses. Oh my. At 17. Oh my. Shut up, DICK!

Bud is so rarely on, but Dick...well, breakfast at Wimbledon, strawberries and cream, well, you know the catch phrases he loves.

viele
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I am questioning whether he has ever or would ever say the same thing about the williams sisters. There were times when their rankings fell that they played early and I don't ever recall him advocating for a tournament to break their rules and automatically place them in opposite sides of the draw!!! I think he thinks that the Belgians represent the best chance to prevent an all Williams final so he feels that they should be on opposites sides so they can take the sisters out!

edificio
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I am questioning whether he has ever or would ever say the same thing about the williams sisters. There were times when their rankings fell that they played early and I don't ever recall him advocating for a tournament to break their rules and automatically place them in opposite sides of the draw!!! I think he thinks that the Belgians represent the best chance to prevent an all Williams final so he feels that they should be on opposites sides so they can take the sisters out!

No. He's been supportive of them in the past.

viele
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM

Impossible. Dick takes the cake. The young girls in their tennis dresses. Oh my. At 17. Oh my. Shut up, DICK!

Bud is so rarely on, but Dick...well, breakfast at Wimbledon, strawberries and cream, well, you know the catch phrases he loves.

But Dick has that old man charm so you don't necessarily take offense to what he's saying. With Bud you always get the sense that there is something snide and condescending about some of his remarks and questions of certain players and his effusive praise of others:devil:

edificio
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Well, I won't disagree with your characterization of Bud, but I do take offense at Dick. Ewww. Old man charm is not charming.

LoveFifteen
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Dick is just a waste of space. None of his comments are insightful or necessary. He frequently misspeaks and states nonsense. Just like bud, they'll have to force him to retire. He won't do it gracefully. It'll be a Helen Thomas style retirement. :scared:

SymphonyX
Jun 28th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Thread starter needs to brush up his reading comprehension skills? Seriously.

mykarma
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Just heard him say on CNN : "The Clijsters/Henin match could be a potential final. Organizers have a possibility to juggle and should have made sure that they were in opposite sides of the draw". I understand that this guy must a hundred years old but that takes the cake. :rolleyes:
No one pays attention to Bud. He's paid his dues and probably has a form of dementia.

mykarma
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Oh Lord, same. He's getting so irritating as he ages.
If you think he's bad wait until Mary Carillo reaches his age. Lawdy, Lawdy.

SymphonyX
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
"Organizers have a possibility to juggle and should have made sure that they were in opposite sides of the draw."

Some people just can't read, can't they?

mykarma
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:13 AM

this

He has always supported the sisters and has been an advocate for the USTA to bring tennis camps into lower income neighborhoods. Dick's a good guy he's just gotten old and senile. If he lost his job what else would the old man do? I think he's funny with some of the crap he says. :lol:

If you think he's bad wait until Mary Carillo reaches his age. Lawdy, Lawdy.

Volcana
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM
No he did say "put them in opposite sides of the draw". I don't care what the senile man meant, he just said it.Arguably, making sure they're on opposite sides of the draw is LESS manipulative than changing seeding. It's as simple as when one name gets pulled, the other name gets ignored if it's pulled till it's on the other side of the draw. They don't get better seeding. It's strictly avoiding them having to play each other.

But in this case, it does work. Is Henin-Venus or Serena-Henin or Sharapova-Clijsters any different in the 4th round.

Truth is, if Henin cared about having a higher seeding, she'd have played more.

ZODIAC
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
no wonder Roger hates Bud s old guts....he should be put to pasture and must take Enberg with him

Bijoux0021
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
:help:

Who the hell told Kim and Justine to "retire?"

Serenita
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:27 AM

;)

Larrybidd
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Arguably, making sure they're on opposite sides of the draw is LESS manipulative than changing seeding.

I disagree. Even if you gave both of them a bump in seeding, they still might end up on opposite ends of the draw - because its still a draw!. Unless you bumped them all the way up to 3 and 4, which is such a big bump as to be outrageously without precedent. How could they explain why would they do that for them when they never did it for the sisters? They couldn't.

Without seeded them #3 & #4 they couldn't "make sure" they were on opposite ends of the draw, without fixing the draw - period. You can't be a little bit pregnant. Its either a draw - match-ups determined by chance, or it ain't.

JackFrost
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Itīs done before. :shrug:

Infiniti2001
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM

No way can he be compared to my Dick :help:

terjw
Jun 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM

Does have any relevance to my post or indeed the thread or do you like just asking random questions?

Navratil
Jun 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
What's wrong with it? According to the bookmakers they should have been seeded 3 and 4! I absolutly agree.
Which player (apart from the Williams-sisters) do you rate higher on grass than Henin and Clijsters??

The Witch-king
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Time to put him down.

:confused: so if english is not ones native language one is stupid?