PDA

View Full Version : Kvitova, Kanepi, Zakopalova, Pironkova, Groth - the surprises of Wimbledon 2010

StephenUK
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Who would ever have thought that Kvitova, Kanepi, Zakopalova, Pironkova and Groth would have made the second week of Wimbledon?

Kvitova had never won a match on grass, never mind Wimbledon.

Kanepi had only won one match in four previous Wimbledon appearances (though she was clearly playing better on grass this year).

Zakopalova had only won one match in seven previous Wimbledon appearances, had failed to go past the second round in any slam since her slam debut in 2003.

Pironkova has never even been in a GS third round before, and only won one previous Wimbledon match and lost to Heather Watson in Eastbourne qualifying.

Groth had never been beyond the second round at Wimbledon before.

So why do you think these players have done so well this year, given their past records were so bad?

croat123
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
i picked pironkova, kanepi and groth in my bracket :)
but i also picked azarenka to make the final :fiery::idiot:

Hian
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Kanepi isn't a so big surprise. Everybody should know she's a very good player.

Slutiana
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I don't think it's that surprising..

Kvitova, with her big serve and strokes, will always have the capacity to get wins on grass. She is has always had a huge game and in the rare times her complete commitment to power tennis does work, she has gotten big wins and good results. There's no way Azarenka would ever beat a Kvitova playing well.

Kanepi also has a big serve and groundstrokes as well as dropshot that works well on grass and isn't afraid to volley. She has been in stunning form recently and was obviously a top 20 player last year.

Groth also has a big serve and groundstrokes. She was handed a good draw at the French and took advantage to make the 4R and has done exactly the same here.

Zakopalova and Pironkova are definitely surprises, but Pironkova has juiced up her serve considerably - I saw her live vs Douchevina and practically ever first serve was hit between 110-118mph, and it was the same story at RG. She also moves well on the grass and Kulikova was injured in their 3R match. Zakopalova seems to be playing good tennis of late and drawing Pennetta on grass gave her a good chance of progressing, and she took it.

AcesHigh
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think it's that surprising..

Kvitova, with her big serve and strokes, will always have the capacity to get wins on grass. She is has always had a huge game and in the rare times her complete commitment to power tennis does work, she has gotten big wins and good results. There's no way Azarenka would ever beat a Kvitova playing well.

Kanepi also has a big serve and groundstrokes as well as dropshot that works well on grass and isn't afraid to volley. She has been in stunning form recently and was obviously a top 20 player last year.

Groth also has a big serve and groundstrokes. She was handed a good draw at the French and took advantage to make the 4R and has done exactly the same here.

Zakopalova and Pironkova are definitely surprises, but Pironkova has juiced up her serve considerably - I saw her live vs Douchevina and practically ever first serve was hit between 110-118mph, and it was the same story at RG. She also moves well on the grass and Kulikova was injured in their 3R match. Zakopalova seems to be playing good tennis of late and drawing Pennetta on grass gave her a good chance of progressing, and she took it.

Felt the same about Kanepi and Kvitova. Did you really expect Groth to beat Oudin though?
Maybe as an American I expect more from Mel than her limited talent can give.

croat123
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:54 PM
^^
oudin has really been struggling. she would have lost to most of the players in the draw imo, but she probably got the weakest opponent

The Dawntreader
Jun 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Felt the same about Kanepi and Kvitova. Did you really expect Groth to beat Oudin though?

Groth hits a very flat and depthy ball when on, combined with occasional huge serving. Completely erratic of course, but she is definitely more powerful and pro-active than Oudin, which thus gives her an advantage when playing well.

Oudin hs to work so hard on every surface, so it's not suprising she can get over-powered.

Ferg

Groth has been playing well recently, and Oudin was not. It was no surprise for me at least.

M.P
i was expecting Kvitova to go up the ranking for quiet a long time
since she won her first title last year she just stuck at top 60..some injury and something brothering her?? finallly making top 40 now

Kanepi is expected

Slutiana
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Groth hits a very flat and depthy ball when on, combined with occasional huge serving. Completely erratic of course, but she is definitely more powerful and pro-active than Oudin, which thus gives her an advantage when playing well.

Oudin hs to work so hard on every surface, so it's not suprising she can get over-powered.
Yeah, this.

And this coupled with the fact that Oudin has been in horrible form, even getting killed by Rybarikova on clay (:help:). As you said, Aces, 'limited' pretty much sums up Mel's whole game. I think this sophomore year has really highlighted those limitations - her poor technique, her relatively flat game which is obviously not too compatible with being a counterpuncher, lack of a half decent backhand etc. It will be interesting to see how Oudin does in this HC season, because she could be in for a huge points drop.

AcesHigh
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Yea, i think it's more desperate hoping than anything. There's nothing really special about Oudin. i'm wondering if we'll ever find a successor to the WS/Davenport/Capriati.

I don't see much upside to her game either. That being said, I was surprised by Groth nonetheless. She took full advantage of her draw. Not many players are able to do that these days.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Groth is a miles better player than Oudin. She has a big first serve and way more raw power. The problem with Groth is that she was fat, injured, or both.

Oudin got lucky to win a round because outside of Duque-Mario she drew the most inept grass court player she could have possibly drew in Anna-Lena.

Filipinos
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Groth is a miles better player than Oudin. She has a big first serve and way more raw power. The problem with Groth is that she was fat, injured, or both.

Oudin got lucky to win a round because outside of Duque-Mario she drew the most inept grass court player she could have possibly drew in Anna-Lena.

:lol::lol: So true. But you forget to add "or she was choking badly"... :p But she is now playing really good tennis... I saw her match against Kerber and her win was never in doubt... Yes, she has been lucky with her draws in her last 2 GS but she has been using it, which many can't... Her game suits very well in any surface because although she is an offensive player she is also capable of defending well (now, because when she was fat... :help:). I think that she is a player to watch in the rest of this season. She has almost no points to defend until the end of the year. I think she has huge chance to crack in top 50 this year...

About the other players, I predicted Kanepi (Sammy wasn't playing great and then the rest of her draw was kind of easy) and Groth in 4r... Kvitova has a huge talent but we never know when she is going to use it... So, altough it is a little surprise it's not choking at all... I really wasn't expecting Pironkova and Kookie to be "alive" in the 2nd week, especially Kookie but I saw she playing against Flavia and she was hitting really well...

njtennis17
Jun 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Groth, Kvitova and Kanepi are not huge surprises to me, but I would have laughed in your face if you would have told me Zakopalova and Pironkova would make the 4th round.

Viktymise
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Groth is a miles better player than Oudin. She has a big first serve and way more raw power.

So you're saying because Groth has a bigger first serve and hits harder that she's a much better player than Oudin? So by the same logic Sprem is a much better player than both Dementieva and Jankovic?

For the record, I don't think Groth is a miles better player than Oudin whatsoever. She's beaten absolutely nobody significant in her career. Nobody. Being fat and injured when she's been on the tour for what, 7 years now is no excuse. She's just not that good.

Kevin.
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Pironkova was hitting powerful strokes and serves when i saw her play in Fort Walton Beach..glad to see her getting good results!

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
So you're saying because Groth has a bigger first serve and hits harder that she's a much better player than Oudin? So by the same logic Sprem is a much better player than both Dementieva and Jankovic?

For the record, I don't think Groth is a miles better player than Oudin whatsoever. She's beaten absolutely nobody significant in her career. Nobody. Being fat and injured when she's been on the tour for what, 7 years now is no excuse. She's just not that good.

No, I didn't particularly mean it in that way. Just Oudin really doesn't have anything to hurt someone like Groth with no grass. I just don't have a high opinion of Oudin's game.

Filipinos
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:15 AM

No. But still THIS Jarmila is playing way better than THIS Mel... And no doubt about that...

Viktymise
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
No, I didn't particularly mean it in that way. Just Oudin really doesn't have anything to hurt someone like Groth with no grass. I just don't have a high opinion of Oudin's game.

I don't particularly enjoy Oudin's game either, but I think you're overrating Groth to be fair. Anytime I've seen her play she couldn't handle any sort of pace, her footwork was incipid and she was unathletic. She isn't even an :eek: ballbasher. It's no coincidence that she's never beaten anyone remotely significant, whereas Oudin has.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I don't particularly enjoy Oudin's game either, but I think you're overrating Groth to be fair. Anytime I've seen her play she couldn't handle any sort of pace, her footwork was incipid and she was unathletic. She isn't even an :eek: ballbasher. It's no coincidence that she's never beaten anyone remotely significant, whereas Oudin has.

Yeah Oudin can cause some problems with her slice, rhythm changes, and low-grade junkballing.

We'll see on Groth. She's in a better state physically and playing her best tennis right now. I don't think she'll beat Venus tomorrow, but the rest of 2010 should be good for her.