PDA

View Full Version : Anyone you're surprised NOT to see in the Round of 16?

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm kind of impressed with how successful the top players have been at Wimbledon:

Serena
Venus
Wozniacki
Jankovic
Radwanska
Clijsters
Li
Bartoli
Sharapova
Henin

Is there anyone not in the 4th round that you expected to see there?

I figured Schiavone and Stosur (especially with Kanepi r1) wouldn't be there, Kuznetsova has been playing like trash (and was in with Li anyway), Ivanovic got a bad draw... Azarenka maybe, after Eastbourne I figured she'd make it. Zheng or Rezai maybe :shrug:

I'd say Peer not being there is the biggest surprise for me, especially after beating Ivanovic :(

But, overall, I'm very satisfied with the WTA top players so far here at Wimbledon :yeah:

KournikovaFan91
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Peer sucks on grass, that shows how bad Ana played.

Azarenka is the only other player I thought would make it.

Sp!ffy
Victoria Azarenka..

goldenlox
Azarenka because of her draw.
When the tournament started, after Serena, Venus, Kim and Justine,
no one else losing early would be a shock

delicatecutter
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Azarenka for sure, but Petra had other plans. :drool:

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
But with Azarenka's play recently, is it really that surprising :shrug: Before Eastbourne she was just :help:

Sp!ffy
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
But with Azarenka's play recently, is it really that surprising :shrug: Before Eastbourne she was just :help:

I saw:
AO - amazing, just a bit unlucky Serena is that good
FO - I thought injury caused 1R loss
Eastbourne - recovered from injury, defeated a lot of good players
First few rounds at Wimbledon - great, defeated good players. better surface than clay

Then 3rd round...loss. Out of nowhere it seemed.

delicatecutter
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Yes because she played very well in Eastbourne and in her first 2 rounds here. She was playing fine today until she served for the first set and then just collapsed. :help:

Bruno71
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm kind of impressed with how successful the top players have been at Wimbledon:

Serena
Venus
Wozniacki
Jankovic
Radwanska
Clijsters
Li
Bartoli
Sharapova
Henin

Is there anyone not in the 4th round that you expected to see there?

I figured Schiavone and Stosur (especially with Kanepi r1) wouldn't be there, Kuznetsova has been playing like trash (and was in with Li anyway), Ivanovic got a bad draw... Azarenka maybe, after Eastbourne I figured she'd make it. Zheng or Rezai maybe :shrug:

I'd say Peer not being there is the biggest surprise for me, especially after beating Ivanovic :(

But, overall, I'm very satisfied with the WTA top players so far here at Wimbledon :yeah:

You're acting as if beating Ivanovic was some big deal. I'm not surprised at all Peer didn't make 4R. Azarenka was a surprise to some degree, esp. since she played well in her first rounds.

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I saw:
AO - amazing, just a bit unlucky Serena is that good
FO - I thought injury caused 1R loss
Eastbourne - recovered from injury, defeated a lot of good players
First few rounds at Wimbledon - great, defeated good players. better surface than clay

Then 3rd round...loss. Out of nowhere it seemed.

I saw-

Good start to the year.
Miami 4th round
Didn't make it out of the 2nd round of any tournament until Eastbourne

Oh, except Marbella where she retired in the QF.

Temperenka
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Vika :(

I feel like at this rate, her career will be full of :silly: matches like this one though.

*Jool*
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Stosur

I thougth she had found the regularity/consistency that would make her a solid top ten player with no surprise losses , even though Kanepi was a tough 1st round, I expected her to be in Rd16 and, given the draw, maybe QF or SF

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM
You're acting as if beating Ivanovic was some big deal. I'm not surprised at all Peer didn't make 4R. Azarenka was a surprise to some degree, esp. since she played well in her first rounds.

Ivanovic should've been her toughest match to the 4r and she won it in 2 sets, the collapsed against Kerber :help: When I saw her draw, I thought she'd make it for sure :shrug:

delicatecutter
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ivanovic should've been her toughest match to the 4r and she won it in 2 sets, the collapsed against Kerber :help: When I saw her draw, I thought she'd make it for sure :shrug:

She didn't play that well against Ivanovic though. Any decent player on grass should be able to beat Peer, and Kerber cashed in.

Bruno71
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM

I'm mildly surprised she lost to Kerber, but Shahar really isn't very good on grass. And Ivanovic is just in such a tailspin right now, I guess that she's probably not even playing at Kerber's level.

noamgdi
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:14 PM
azarenka and peer

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Stosur

I thougth she had found the regularity/consistency that would make her a solid top ten player with no surprise losses , even though Kanepi was a tough 1st round, I expected her to be in Rd16 and, given the draw, maybe QF or SF

I just don't think she'll ever be any good on grass, unless she works on her backhand or comes in more :shrug:. I don't even think it was really a let down from her Roland Garros final, I think she just couldn't do anything against Kanepi's big game. I still expected her to win in 3 sets, but I wasn't expecting to much from Wimbledon (at least not this year). The hardcourts will really tell where she stands

Blu€
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Jie :(, she's not been playing great lately but I thought she'd show up when it matters especially considering her draw.

pav
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
[quote=twight6;18053631]I'm kind of impressed with how successful the top players have been at Wimbledon:

Serena
Venus
Wozniacki
Jankovic
Radwanska
Clijsters
Li
Bartoli
Sharapova
Henin

You have only listed 10 in the round of 16, are they the only (top) players in your opinion:confused:

tennisbum79
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Stosur.

I thought her game (good 1-2 punch serve, heavy ground shot) would pay dividend on grass.

AnDrEi.b
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Azarenka

fouc
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'm disgusted with the brilliant mods here again. Though it's not surprising at all. :o

The lack of Azarenka and Stosur.

Sammy Stones
Jun 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
don't know if I'm surprised but I'm still disappointed: sam :sobbing:

Khelvors
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Jie :(, she's not been playing great lately but I thought she'd show up when it matters especially considering her draw.

jie said that she had a fever in a chinese article, and in another article she said that she had asked to not play doubles and singles on the same day because of the illness. she said the fever started after her first match win. :awww:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2010-06/25/c_12261105.htm

rnwerner
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Im surprised Kleybanova and Petrova are not in round 4 but it was all about the draw.

And of course Azarenka. But she has just no plan B. After losing the game where she had set point she lost the focus totally.
She was not HANGING IN there like Sharapova, Henin or Serena would have done after losing the first set to Kvitova (if this could ever happen)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Zheng.

Sean.
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Azarenka, judging by eastbourne and her form in the first few rounds, and Stosur, now that she's starting to get her head in order her serve should have at least got her this far!

twight6
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM
You have only listed 10 in the round of 16, are they the only (top) players in your opinion:confused:

Yes. Others:

Kvitova
Zakopalova
Kanepi
Zvonareva
Pironkova
Groth

The only one you can even make a case for that I should've listed as a top player is Zvonareva, and she's ranked outside the top 20.

Sammo
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Sam should have thrashed her way to the quarterfinals :(

Randy H
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Azarenka/Zheng - same section of the draw, wouldn't have thought that someone other than them would come through. Azarenka's form has been too patchy to have been totally convinced she'd come through against a former semifinalist.

Peer, although definitely at her weakest on grass, had quite a nice draw and I thought she'd sneak her way through to hold seeding.

zhengjie_lina
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM
jie and nadia.... both are very unlucky...

tennisforadults
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Surprised AND really disappointed: Sammy. If she ever really wanted to do well on grass, she needs to beat someone like Kanepi. The disappointing thing is, Sam did at one point in the match find the right strategy to beat Kanepi (serve and volley, dropshots) but didn't sustain it at all. :o

Other players: Zheng Jie, Victoria Azarenka.

pokey camp
Jun 27th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Jie. Then based on her draw, Flavia. She had real opportunity to make the semifinals here.

Didn't think Sam, Fran, Sveta or Vika would make it far before the start of the tournament. Then once I saw how well Vika was moving on that knee... I thought she had a good run in her. So it's kind of surprising to see her out already even though I originally thought she'd lose early. :confused: