PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon R1: Petra Martic d. Elena Baltacha 2-6 7-5 6-3

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Really? Choking against a slumping grass court newbie like Martic? :rolleyes: Pathetic.

ElusiveChanteuse
Bally :o

RenaSlam.
Terrible Bal.

Slampova
:weirdo:

TheBoiledEgg
amazing choke :help:

well done Petra
but bally :spit:

John.
Bally :o:help: Disgusting

Daruma.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Petra :devil:

Elena? :sad:

jamatthews
Judging by this and Anne last year, being a DA doesn't really make much of a difference after all. :spit:

Dawson.
Strange strange strange match. So many momentum shifts. I don't know if it was a choke because Martic was actually the better player out there when trailing a set and a break (which in itself sounds very strange :tape:). Strange all round.

Derek.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Super, Petra! :banana:

Two Croatians in the 2R. :yeah:

nevetssllim
Bally. :sad:

markedman
Baltacha seemed to lose her nerve, after being in such a commanding position.

Serval
Another choke-job from Bally :yawn:

Keadz
She was playing pretty well until serving for the match, then her game just got caught up in nerves and she struggled to do anything. That would hurt.

Good for Martic though :) Hopefully she can win some more matches now!

Jankarenka
Petra is so beautiful I want her for marriage :devil:. Such a classy lady.

Dave.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Yep, the word pathetic comes to mind. I was all ready to say that was probably the best I'd ever seen Baltacha play up until she served for it. I still can't believe she just crumbled like that.

Baltacha coming in off one of her best ever performances in a WTA event, direct entry, good draw. If she can't win this then...:shrug:

Congrats to Petra for hanging in though. Her serve is gorgeous.

TS
Choker.

Really awful and beyond disappointing :help:

Clearly can't deal with the pressure in a situation like this. If she can't deal with it at 27, then she probably never will. Just not good enough then.

Langers
Martic was awesome! Love her game. :hearts:

croat123
Petra :D:D awesome way to fight back :) i don't think i've seen her make a comeback like this before. really played well in the third :yeah:

Nicolas
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
:lol: but congrats Martic
Same shit happened to Keothavong last year :)

Libertango
WTF! :help: :fiery:

So Bally led 6-2 5-3, served for it at 5-4, and as soon as she lost that one game, was acting as though she was in some hopeless situation. Then, Martic relaxed and played some really beautiful tennis, she really has an attractive, fluid game. Still, awful, AWFUL choke/loss for Elena. :rolleyes:

serenus_2k8
Bally, what was that! Take a break girl and get back into form for the HCs.

Dinayer
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Petra :yeah:

iGOAT
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:26 PM
Bally :tape::help::sobbing: that was ridiculous :weirdo:.

All the same, many posters here are being way too harsh towards her, and I imagine the press will be too, so :hug: to her!

TennisFanForever
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
terrible :help:

.Andrew.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I started watching this match from 3-5 Baltacha in the second set and I’m glad I watched this match. :yeah:

I’ll start with the positives for Baltacha. You can see she’s a great player and can be an especially good player on grass. She has a great serve and a great service motion. Her groundstrokes are hard and flat, and when they’re making it into the court she’s always going to be a hard player to beat. She has a really good slice too, but it’s definitely not a natural shot like Martic’s. Baltacha seems to only turn to the shot when she’s pulled out wide on her backhand but when she does use it, it takes a hard bite on the court. :yeah:

However, Baltacha seems to have no middle ground game and no brain ESPECIALLY. Seems like every single point she plays aggressively. Baltacha is also not a great mover, so maybe she has to play this way to compensate for her poor movement? Martic (from 3-5 at least) consistently exposed Baltacha’s poor movement.

On the other hand, Martic impressed me very much. :eek: She has a good serve, but I’m particularly impressed with her groundstrokes. She can hit it deep, she can create angles, she can hit winners, she can change the direction, she really can do it all off BOTH wings. Very Dementieva-esque imo. She moves well, has a great court sense, and her slice… it’s fantastic. Like I said above, her slice is so much more natural compared to Baltacha’s very much like Mauresmo or Henin. Two points she used her slice to set up for overheads at the net. It was beautiful to watch. :worship:

Definitely got a bit nervous towards the end, but I’m so glad she closed it out. She’s going to have to become stronger (she’s such a slight girl :awww:) and develop more of a weapon, despite her groundstrokes being soooo solid. But I definitely became a fan of Martic today. :D

Ferg
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM
:weirdo:

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
bally needs to stop all this over the top fistpumping and walking to the corners, it is only going to make her tight in big moments.

tennisboi
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
What a horrible lose bad bad Bally :O

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Only Laura beating Jankovic could make me feel better about day 1. I can tell its gonna be a miserable afternoon.

leebeasy
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
What a choke! Her brain just went walkies it was painful to watch.
Feel so bad for Bally the British press will have a field day with her.

Renalicious
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM
:tears:

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Shes gonna get crucified by the press. Shame because she has come so far this year. Urgh I feel for her a lot, what a difference 5 minutes can make. Ive never seen a non-injury related choke like that, her level didnt just drop a bit it plummeted.

disco_rage
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Very disappointing from Elena. Serving for the match she seamed to just shut down mentally and then never looked like winning

Keegan
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
Did not expect that.

SVK
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Who said MArtic has no weapon?:confused:

I saw 2 matches when she was plyaing and her game is pretty good:confused:

serenus_2k8
Should mention that Martic played some great tennis. Shes got a bright future ahead of her, just a shame this revelation came at Ballys expense. Impressive debut in many respects.

BlackPanther.
:rolls::rolls:

V-MAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
oh Bally:o Martic really exposed her lack of movement in that 3rd set

markedman
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Should mention that Martic played some great tennis. Shes got a bright future ahead of her, just a shame this revelation came at Ballys expense. Impressive debut in many respects.

Yes, she's got some decent ground strokes, and her serve is very good.

.Andrew.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Who said MArtic has no weapon?:confused:

I saw 2 matches when she was plyaing and her game is pretty good:confused:

I think that. :p But I'm not saying it in any bad way, because her groundstrokes are so good. But certainly she doesn't have that one shot that is going to dominate the match. :shrug: However, I think it'll be hard for players to pick out which side is weaker. :shrug: If I had to pick, I'd go for the forehand because it was the shot that seemed to tense up towards the last two games. :p

And Baltacha definitely lost the plot in the last two games in the second set. She did fine trying to serve it out but from 5-5 to 7-5 she was awful. But she definitely fought her heart out throughout the whole 3rd set. And that's probably another aspect of Baltacha that I observed from this match. Unfortunately, she just doesn't have a second gear in her game that she can turn to, when her game is a little off because Martic was definitely a little tight towards the end of the match. So credit to Martic for closing the deal. :D

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Martics better shot is her backhand in my opinion.

Uranus
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Surprised...not.

volume3d
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
well done Petra....:)you just need 2much time to warm up lol:)

tennismaster8820
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Well done Petra, I already saw it as typical Martic loss when she does nothing! :o

Sorry for Baltacha! :hug:

Marionated
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Just awful from Bally :o

ajmo!
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Petra :banana:

LCS
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
:tape:

AdeyC
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Why do Wimbledon always put the British No 1's on outside courts for their first matches - seen it so many times.

Joe.
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM
Wimbledon; That time of the year where Brits do nothing but disappoint.

bbjpa
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Petra :bounce: , I really thought it was over when a break down on 2nd set :worship:

GreenGrass
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Petra :yeah:

Super Dave
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:38 PM
Bally...http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif Just awful.

Blu€
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Tough loss for Bally :awww: needs to work seriously on those nerves :kiss:

Sander.
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Very good win for Petra, but Elena :o

kirst
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
bally :sad:

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Petra :woohoo:

got rid of the Golden Flower Killa :bounce:

markdelaney
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Why do Wimbledon always put the British No 1's on outside courts for their first matches - seen it so many times.

Because the British public prefer to see Davydenko boring them to sleep for 4 hours instead ?

Talula
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Well done Petra. Baltacha is a joke and should retire. I'm sick of the British women like Baltacha - they have so much support from the LTA and can't even deliver a 1st round victory against a newbie.

Shepster
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
:lol: Business as usual then, Baltacha (and British womens tennis) will get slated even though she's stepped up this year. One of these days they're going to have to at least give her Court 2 to get a decent crowd behind her.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM
Well done Petra. Baltacha is a joke and should retire. I'm sick of the British women like Baltacha - they have so much support from the LTA and can't even deliver a 1st round victory against a newbie.
Why should she retire? She's having her best year ever on tour by far. Today was definitely a bad loss, but I'd hardly say she should pack it in.

serenus_2k8
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
The crowd were shit. Never would have guessed she was in the UK. Perhaps Scots arent their thing.

rickxx
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Bally:oShould've won this with the help of the home crowd...

shorty87
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Terrible result for Baltacha, unexpected.

Joe.
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, this was a quite frankly embarassing, but Bally is no way a joke....
Shes had the best year of her life; reached 3R at AO, $100k Title in Midland, QF Memphis, had her first top 10 win vs Li in Indian Wells, $50k Nottingham win and QF in Eastbourne and reached a career high ranking of 52.

None of this would've been possible without help from the LTA. Yes, she should've won today but she didnt.

*Jean*
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Bally :sad:

Richie's
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:27 PM
Bally just killed herself there today.

AdeyC
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, this was a quite frankly embarassing, but Bally is no way a joke....
Shes had the best year of her life; reached 3R at AO, $100k Title in Midland, QF Memphis, had her first top 10 win vs Li in Indian Wells, $50k Nottingham win and QF in Eastbourne and reached a career high ranking of 52.

None of this would've been possible without help from the LTA. Yes, she should've won today but she didnt.

Oh I agree - today was pathetic, but as you say she's had the best year of her life and has potential to improve her ranking further by the end of the year - this is just one bad tournament.

SVK
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:38 PM
And I thought she already isnīt choker

:spit:

Once choker - always choker...and..Wimbledon + Brit gils = :tape: last years...how is the best performance by Brit in Wimbledon in last 5 years???

AdeyC
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
:lol: Business as usual then, Baltacha (and British womens tennis) will get slated even though she's stepped up this year. One of these days they're going to have to at least give her Court 2 to get a decent crowd behind her.

That's been the problem for ages - altough last year she beat Bondarenko on Court 1.

Trouble is since the days of Wade, Barker and Durie, they rarely put British women on the show courts which would give them the support of the crowd. I don't think that ex GB No. 1's Clare Wood or Sam Smith ever played on Centre Court

Randy H
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM
This has to be the biggest disappointment of day 1 for me, ugh...Bally really has no business losing to Martic on grass :o But unfortunately, it seems as though she got tight at the final hurdle and it all went downhill pretty quick after that :( Shame, because Bally seems to handle the pressure at Wimbledon fairly well when she's an underdog, but put her in a situation where she is expected to win and she just seems to fall to bits too often.

Hopefully she won't be too discouraged though - Still had a great week in Eastbourne, and a great 2010 overall. The key now will be to rebound quickly and continue with some strong showings this summer.

Carotastrophe
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Bally... :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
I was at this match and I got to say it was wonderful. I had a hunch Petra's game was perfect for grasscourts and that really is how it turned out. Elena did hit a couple of groundies long when serving for the match but by this stage Petra was already playing the better tennis and she was putting tremendous pressure on Elena with crispness and acuracy of her groundies. Once Petra broke serve there was no turning back and there was only ever going to be one winner in the this match.

The more I see of Petra the more I absolutely adore her. She is so understated, one could almost say meek, and hits with such quite effortlessness. But every so often she when she hits a really amazing shot you can see her delight and she will do a very lowkey fistpump. Her groundies are just things of beauty. I wish I was one of those posters who was good at describing groundstokes but I'm not, all I can say is that Petra's are hit very flat, she creates amazing angles and she varies the pace and spin wonderfully. The dtl forehand is probably her best shot and hit that one for winners frequently thoughout the match.

I am really going to love watching Petra's career develop. :inlove:

As for Elena she actually played a pretty solid match and she was quite unfortunate that she couldn't quite hold off Petra when she was serving it out. She really only hit one very bad shot in that game and one other that she also hit long but under a lot of pressure. Basically Petra hit top gear just at the point when she needed to and from that point on she was the better player. Bad luck for Elena and I really feel she does not deserve the flak she seems to be getting following this defeat. :shrug:

StephenUK
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM
Martic definitely improved after the first set, whereas the unforced errors crept into Elena's game. Still, she shouldn't have lost this, the nerves took over :(

Foals.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Petra :inlove: I'm happy you came back to win this and have a win in what seems like ages! :)
Elena though :help:

Super Dave
Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
I was wondering what she'd tweet about it...

Thankyou to everyone for the support! Must admit I am gutted but life goes on and what doesn't break you..makes you..!!xx about 18 hours ago (http://twitter.com/ElenaBaltacha/status/16712612750) via txt (http://twitter.com/devices)