PDA

View Full Version : Is "Grass Court Tennis" dead?

duhcity
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
If you're watching Clijsters-Camerin, you'd understand.

It seems like the average rally length is 15 to 20 shots.

goldenlox
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
They've slowed it down. But its still a surface for big servers. And flat groundstrokes. Unless your topspin is incredible, like Nadal

Andy.
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Why did they slow it down?

Daniel K
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
I think they slowed it down due to the men's serve-fests in the 90's. Although it's got even slower over the last decade. Yeah it still serves flat hitters well.

EastbourneAgain
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
If you're watching Clijsters-Camerin, you'd understand.

It seems like the average rally length is 15 to 20 shots.

You don't like rallies?

DefyingGravity
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
See, this speed of grass, IMO, is perfect for women's tennis. You can get a rally if you want it, you still have a biting slice (though maybe not as effective as it used to be), dropshots still die when they're well hit, and flat shots still penetrate the court.

Dave.
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, but it's been this way for years. :shrug:

You don't like rallies?

He never said that.

duhcity
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Well, I'm always used to shorter rallies on grass. Takes getting used to I guess.

But if this is how rallies are going, how is Centre Court going to look over Finals weekend?

PS+ Yes, I know it's been getting slower, but it seems even slower than last year. From what I've seen, someone like Azarenka or Masha will really benefit as the court really responds to big flat shots. It's bouncing even higher than years past as well.

Keadz
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'd say the pace of Camerins ball can be attributed to the speed of that match.

Watch court 18 with Goerges and Bartoli. Fairly decent quality, fast passed match.

EastbourneAgain
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
I agree, this is one of the best surfaces for WTA tennis. I like it a little slower, usually the winners still go for winners and the serve is taken out of the equation just a little more which means more rallies.

He never said that.

Yes, and that's why I asked the question. Bitch.

LightWarrior
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Blaz Kavcic wrote on twitter that grass is a lot slower than clay on Garros ;O

Dear God, once again it's about fast or slow. It's about the lower bounce on grass.

Dave.
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM

Calm down dear. :lol:

timafi
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
here's what the 2006 Wimbledon Champion said about the grass.Check around 0:38:shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukk7kuPAzE

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM

cos of Rafa :rolleyes: :rolleyes: its been clay-grass for a few yrs now
he's the sole reason why they've got rid of carpet courts so he'd come to play in tourns.

The Witch-king
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM

omg :spit: :worship:

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM

the mid to late 90's mens tennis on grass was painful to watch. sampras, mark p, cheshire cat greg, split personality goran ect all were serving games of unreturnables and it was very difficult to watch.

edificio
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
the mid to late 90's mens tennis on grass was painful to watch. sampras, mark p, cheshire cat greg, split personality goran ect all were serving games of unreturnables and it was very difficult to watch.

Don't agree. It was fun to watch. This slow clay grass is not fun, dull. Let's get some fast play again.

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Don't agree. It was fun to watch. This slow clay grass is not fun, dull. Let's get some fast play again.

you honestly enjoyed a match like karlovic vs tsonga last year?

John.
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM

Ace, Ace, Unreturnable, Ace game after game after game was anything but fun for the majority of fans and spectators.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Ace, Ace, Unreturnable, Ace game after game after game was anything but fun for the majority of fans and spectators.

you dont see them speeding up Roland Garros for fast court players

shap_half
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
At the Federer match, the grass doesn't look slow at all.

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM

the french is much quicker than in the 80's when they didn't have covers and just added more and more top dressing and it became like mud.

John.
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:58 PM

I agree.

But I don;t think the grass was originally slowed down to suit any specific player. They were looking at ways to make it slower after the snoozefest 1994 final IIRC.

edificio
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
you honestly enjoyed a match like karlovic vs tsonga last year?

Anytime it is Tsonga I enjoy it. :)

However, Pim-Pim vs Roddick at USO was horrid one year: boom, boom, boom, boom.

Are you the majority? I was a fan, and I enjoyed the men's game in the 90s, just one among many others no doubt.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
It isn't the players' fault that the grass is slower.

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM

DEATH :speakles:

:happy: :spit:

AnywhereButHome
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, the grass seems really slow this year. Moreover, these looooooooong men's matches aren't helping a lot!!! I don't think Vee will even play today lol

Polikarpov
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
cos of Rafa :rolleyes: :rolleyes: its been clay-grass for a few yrs now
he's the sole reason why they've got rid of carpet courts so he'd come to play in tourns.

:lol:

The grass has been getting slower and slower since 2001. The way the ball bounces nowadays is a joke.