PDA

View Full Version : To Canadian tennis fans

Lindsayfan
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hi guys,
i'm moving to Toronto, ON and I would like to know what channels are broadcasting ATP and WTA tennis tournaments there, so I can subscribe a cable TV package that includes such channels.
Thanks a lot for your answers. :wavey:

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
TSN & TSN2 (TSN is the main sports channel in Canada...)

Don't expect any WTA coverage... they don't show anything. Might as well watch and record free streams online.

Sammy Stones
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
you can find some free streams online but rarely are they any good. as a last resort, you can download matches off torrents.

there's a great paid service by eurosport, the eurosport player (http://videos.eurosport.com/eurosport-player/teaser.shtml?). it's not pricey and gives you access to a bunch of courts (and other sports).

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
TSN shows the grand slams and ATP Masters Series and the Canadian Opens. That's it.
No WTA tournament coverage other than the Canadian Open.

DefyingGravity
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
I was about to say, isn't it TSN...I always wanted to visit Canada, FYI.

Ryan
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Hi guys,
i'm moving to Toronto, ON and I would like to know what channels are broadcasting ATP and WTA tennis tournaments there, so I can subscribe a cable TV package that includes such channels.
Thanks a lot for your answers. :wavey:

Yeah, TSN and TSN2 will give you all your Canadian coverage (which is really good considering how unpopular tennis is in our country. I think all our coverage is to respect tennis as an "elite" sport and cater to us crazy niche fans). :D

WTA you get the Slams, Canadian Open, and Miami semis/finals (maybe IW too). Its definitely worth getting, even for not that many events shown.

Congrats on moving to Toronto, awesome city!

akosiirwyn
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
Last year TSN also showed the YEC final (delayed I think)

V's a star
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
Last year TSN also showed the YEC final (delayed I think)

Yes OMG they gave us a little extra cumb last year :drool::tape:

cellophane
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:39 AM
Yep, the only WTA coverage we get is the Rogers Cup. And last year the final of YEC.

I don't think they showed Miami finals or semis for women's in a couple of years :scratch: I watched the Miami final on CBS

canadia
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:43 AM
Our TV coverage sucks. I watch everything on live streaming. Atdhe.net is pretty decent.

Welcome to Canada!!

Ryan
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Yep, the only WTA coverage we get is the Rogers Cup. And last year the final of YEC.

I don't think they showed Miami finals or semis for women's in a couple of years :scratch: I watched the Miami final on CBS

Oh my bad. But we still got it, so w/e. ;)

I miss Sportsnet showing all kinds of WTA. I remember being bored to death watching Amelie beat Coetzer at Amelia Island in 02/03? it was great.

cellophane
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM

I miss Sportsnet showing all kinds of WTA. I remember being bored to death watching Amelie beat Coetzer at Amelia Island in 02/03? it was great.

Sportsnet showed the Hingis-Dementieva Kremlin Cup match in 2000. :bigcry:

And a couple of years ago, we were getting WTA Miami coverage from ESPN ... not sure what happened?

cellophane
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM
I'm trying to find a program so that can record online streams. :) That way I can watch stuff later... Replay Media Catcher works with a few streams (JAmieOwen uses it), but not the justintv / ustream ones

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:31 AM

LOL I remember seeing Myskina vs Schett in Moscow on Sportsnet back in the day, it was sooo random.

Canadian tennis coverage :help: But I'm not complaining, I guess I'm just used to it at this point. Live streams are essential.

Qrystyna
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
I used to love all the coverage of obscure Tier III & IV events that used to show sometimes on WTSN. Sadly that channel doesn't exist anymore. :(

Lindsayfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:39 PM
thanks a lot guys! I suspected there was no WTA coverage though :( I used to live in Mexico, and we had the same problem there...