PDA

View Full Version : Grass Court Top Eight Among Active Players

vwfan
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Looking at Wimbledon performance and career grass win/loss percentage, these players emerge as best grass court players of their generarion.

Inside Top Ten of Career Grass W/L in Open Era
1. Venus Williams, Five Time Wimbledon Champion, Career W/L 87.01%
2. Serena Williams, Three Time Wimbledon Champion, Career W/L 86.67%
3. Maria Sharapova, 2004 Champion, Career W/L 83.58%
4. Justine Henin, Two-Time Finalist, Career W/L 83.33%

and then, there is:
5. Kim Clijsters, Two-Time Semi-Finalist, Career W/L 77.78%
6. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Three-Time Quarter Finalist, Career W/L 69.77%
7. Elena Dementieva, Two-Time Semi-Finalists, One-Time QF, Career W/L 67.19%

Can't overlook a recent finalist.
8. Marion Bartoli, One Time Finalist, Career W/L 61.82, but ranked 97 in overall all-time career grass W/L

Discuss.

Sarin-A-Rad
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
What about Radwanksa?

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
What about Radwanksa?

Top 4 grasscourter of this generation? :spit:

Inger67
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Aga Radwanska?

serenus_2k8
Nice top 6, but then the quality quickly drops :lol:

mauresmofan
No doubt Venus is no.1 on the list but just like if you had done a mens list then the no.2 would be favoured to beat the no.1. I'd love to see Venus go all guns ablazing into the final and really hit hard and come to the net again and again and again if she meets Serena in the final - don't just try and go toe to toe with her at the back of the court use your height and wingspan to dominate the net

Vanity Bonfire
Can't believe Sveta is no.6. Here's hoping for a good Wimbledon:kiss:

Inger67
Top 4 grasscourter of this generation? :spit:

Marion Bartoli is better? :shrug:

vwfan
What about Radwanksa?

She should get honororable mention, but gave #8 to Marion, since she was a finalist even though her overall Career W/L is much lower than Radwanska.

Therefore, I'd say:

Honorable Mention, Radwanska: Two-Time Quarter Finalist, Career Win/Loss 72.4%

mauresmofan
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Marion Bartoli is better? :shrug:

Yes made the Wimbledon final what has Radwanska done in her entire career to top that?

zxcVbnm88
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Yes made the Wimbledon final what has Radwanska done in her entire career to top that?

Bartoli had to beat #1(Henin) and #3(JJ) seed to get to the final:devil:

vwfan
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
If a couple of recent retirees from this generation were still active: the top four would remain pretty much the same, though Dav would have a legitimate claim on #3 spot though booting Henin out.

Add Hingis and Momo in and some of the others are going, going, gone from the top eight.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Radwanska should be fourth

Qalahari
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Makarova should be third!!! :lol: :inlove: and don't forget Tammy!!!

Sarin-A-Rad
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I think that currently Aga deserves to be on the list over Sveta and Marion.

vwfan
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I think that currently Aga deserves to be on the list over Sveta and Marion.perhaps Sveta, but not Marion. :o

Sarin-A-Rad
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:35 PM
perhaps Sveta, but not Marion. :o

Then what the hell?? Lol

shap_half
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
perhaps Sveta, but not Marion. :o

Then why is Sveta ranked over Marion?

The bottom part of the rankings will always be strange for a season as short as grass. It also lacks top tier events. Therefore you're stuck with a bunch of player with really mediocre results battling it out for the remaining spots.

It's baffling that only five (!!!!!!!!!) active players have reached the finals of Wimbledon. Compare the other slams:

Australia: (7) Serena, Justine, Dinara, Maria, Ana, Kim, Venus
French: (10) Sam, Fran, Dinara, Sveta, Ana, Justine, Serena, Kim, Venus, Elena
USO: (9) Kim, Caroline, Jelena, Serena, Justine, Sveta, Elena, Venus, Maria

The pool of options for a list like this is exponentially larger based on slam success alone.

MH0861
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Where is the legendary Ms. Tamarine Tanasugarn? :mad:

kickserve
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:06 AM
While I understand why Maria is #3, I have a hard time seeing her currently as 3rd best grass courter. Her game is perfect for hardcourts, now that she's gotten bigger and less mobile.

Ferg
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:22 AM
TamGOAT should be #4.

Mynarco
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:23 AM
Tammy should be around 9 or 10.

thrust
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
What about Radwanksa?

Who cares? She is of no consequence on grass, at all!

Summer_Snow
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
Interesting to see where Tammy should be ranked ;)

miffedmax
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Fanatic that I am, I'd have to say Lena's overrated. Yeah, she's had some nice runs at Wimby, but grass is the one surface on which she has 0 titles (though arguably she was pretty much robbed of one at that unspellable, unpronouncable Dutch one a few years back).

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:07 AM
Makarova should be better than Lena on grass. At least she has won a grass court title?:shrug: :p

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM

The bottom part of the rankings will always be strange for a season as short as grass. It also lacks top tier events. Therefore you're stuck with a bunch of player with really mediocre results battling it out for the remaining spots.

It's baffling that only five (!!!!!!!!!) active players have reached the finals of Wimbledon. Compare the other slams:

The pool of options for a list like this is exponentially larger based on slam success alone.because she has an overall higher win/loss on grass and has performed consistently better than Marion.

Sveta has three QF and Radwanska who has played fewer Wimbledons has two and a higher win/loss percentage. Marion has been a RUP, but less consistent results on grass overall than either Sveta and Aga.

mauresmofan
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM
Makarova should be better than Lena on grass. At least she has won a grass court title?:shrug: :p

No way 2 semis at Wimbledon is way better than 1 title in Eastbourne.

mauresmofan
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
Fanatic that I am, I'd have to say Lena's overrated. Yeah, she's had some nice runs at Wimby, but grass is the one surface on which she has 0 titles (though arguably she was pretty much robbed of one at that unspellable, unpronouncable Dutch one a few years back).

fear not she has quite a parallel with Amelies runs at Wimbledon - a semi then injured misses Wimbledon another couple of semis then champion

SymphonyX
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM
What about Radwanksa?

Those in the thread starter's top 3 list will smoke her so fast her mouth will drop in awe.

Justine Henin can always be a lot more crafier than Radwandska and Justine will drive her crazy. If that doesn't work, she can always outgun Aggy.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM

The pool of options for a list like this is exponentially larger based on slam success alone.

Well considering their have been like 4 all-Williams finals since 2002, 2006 is the ONLY year without a Williams in the finals...well, you get the picture. Not much room for other players there.

In fact only two non-Williams winners since '99!! :eek: Maria and Mauresmo...

Inger67
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM
^^ GOAT :bowdown:

vwfan
Jun 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Looking at Wimbledon performance and career grass win/loss percentage, these players emerge as best grass court players of their generarion.

Inside Top Ten of Career Grass W/L in Open Era
1. Venus Williams, Five Time Wimbledon Champion, Career W/L 87.01%
2. Serena Williams, Three Time Wimbledon Champion, Career W/L 86.67%
3. Maria Sharapova, 2004 Champion, Career W/L 83.58%
4. Justine Henin, Two-Time Finalist, Career W/L 83.33%

and then, there is:
5. Kim Clijsters, Two-Time Semi-Finalist, Career W/L 77.78%
6. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Three-Time Quarter Finalist, Career W/L 69.77%
7. Elena Dementieva, Two-Time Semi-Finalists, One-Time QF, Career W/L 67.19%

Can't overlook a recent finalist.
8. Marion Bartoli, One Time Finalist, Career W/L 61.82, but ranked 97 in overall all-time career grass W/L

Discuss.six out of eight still alive. kuzzie the only one out, as Elena DNP.

Sp!ffy
Jun 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I'm surprised Maria ranks in the top 3 since she lost in the 2nd round two years in a row but I guess it didn't make a big difference...

Aryman3
Jun 26th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Aga!

Tennisstar86
Jun 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I'm surprised Maria ranks in the top 3 since she lost in the 2nd round two years in a row but I guess it didn't make a big difference...

Maria at four wouldnt even make sense since shes actually won the title :lol:

tennis-insomniac
Jun 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Tammy should be ranked over Marion!!!!!!

The Passionate Grass-courter : Tamarine Tanasugarn W/L 67.0%
I'm proud of her my Tammy!!!
including five top ten wins on grass alone :) :)

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Kuznetsova's top-20 record on the surface - 3-5 (wins over Groenefeld, Zvonareva and Dechy); top-15 record - 0-4. The highest ranked player defeated at Wimbledon - No.33 Vaidisova.

Dementieva's top-20 record on the surface - 2-9 (wins over Petrova, Maleeva); top-15 record - 0-8.

Yet, they are Top-8 performers on grass.

Temperenka
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Radwanska isn't a top 8 grass-courter.

She only has 2 wins over top 20 players at Wimbledon- (19) Li Na last year and (4) Shitznestova two years ago.

The minute she plays a top notch grass courter, she gets steam rolled. 1-6, 2-6 to Venus, 4-6, 0-6 to Serena, 2-6, 3-6 to non-slumpy Kuznetsova, 2-6, 2-6 to Clijsters.

She really just doesn't have enough game to be GREAT on any surface.

adner
Jun 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Radwanska isn't a top 8 grass-courter.

She only has 2 wins over top 20 players at Wimbledon- (19) Li Na last year and (4) Shitznestova two years ago.

The minute she plays a top notch grass courter, she gets steam rolled. 1-6, 2-6 to Venus, 4-6, 0-6 to Serena, 2-6, 3-6 to non-slumpy Kuznetsova, 2-6, 2-6 to Clijsters.

She really just doesn't have enough game to be GREAT on any surface.

Should Aga let Nicole cry in her Eastbourne trophy? :wavey:

Temperenka
Jun 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Should Aga let Nicole cry in her Eastbourne trophy? :wavey:

The one that she was barely capable of beating big bad Nadia Petrova to win?? :lol: :tape:

That isn't a very impressive title when you have to beat 4 players- the best being Petrova. ;)

Aga, in my opinion, is around #10 on grass courts. :shrug:

Not bad, but just not fantastic yet. When she beats a Williams, Clijsters, or Henin.... I'll start to consider her.

Aryman3
Jun 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Another great match of Aga 6:3 6:1

vwfan
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
added a poll.

DragonFlame
Jun 26th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Maria and Kim will be going home on monday. I am confident in these choices.

SAISAI-GOAT
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:17 PM
where is NaNa in this ranking :sobbing:

her deep Wimbledon runs, her Birmingham final and title :shrug:

Temperenka
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Maria and Justine will both lose on Monday I think.

twight6
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:21 PM
The answer to the poll is whoever is on court first: Maria or Justine :tape:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:22 PM
It will be Kim or Henin cause their match starts earlier than the Maria One!! lol

AndreConrad
Jun 26th, 2010, 11:56 PM
The one that she was barely capable of beating big bad Nadia Petrova to win?? :lol: :tape:

That isn't a very impressive title when you have to beat 4 players- the best being Petrova. ;)

Aga, in my opinion, is around #10 on grass courts. :shrug:

Not bad, but just not fantastic yet. When she beats a Williams, Clijsters, or Henin.... I'll start to consider her.

That is all fine, but how will you find 9 better candidates, unless you will include some of the nobodies she beat at Wimbledon and Eastbourne :shrug:

DragonFlame
Jun 27th, 2010, 01:39 AM
That is all fine, but how will you find 9 better candidates, unless you will include some of the nobodies she beat at Wimbledon and Eastbourne :shrug:

Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova, Kim Clijsters, Elena Dementieva, Jelena Jankovic, Marion Bartoli, Caroline Wozniacki

Not so hard really... I'm willing to add Svetlana Kuznetsova/Nadia Petrova to that, and if Li Na beats her on monday her as well. :p

vwfan
Jun 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
used career stats for conistency on surface
and slam titles/finals for competing well in the BIG time.

Temperenka
Jun 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Na needs to be considered for top 10 grass court players

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Aga is 4th imo