PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams could be #1 after Wimbledon?

Jaffas85
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
What scenarios are there that would allow Venus Williams to be #1 after Wimbledon?

Should Sharapova beat Serena in the fourth round and Venus wins the tournament that would make her #1 I believe (I think if Serena loses as far as the quarters, and Venus wins the tournament, that Venus would be #1).

Thanks.

Jorn
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
If Serena losses in R1 Venus need to be in the Finale or if Serena wins more Venus need to win the Tournament.

Jorn
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:59 PM
My guess (I have not checked the math) if Serena reach the QF she's still No. 1.

VishaalMaria
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Slim chance.

Maybe after Wimbledon she'll have her best chance.

vwfan
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
win the title Venus. Serena can have #1.:devil:

Jorn
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM
1 Serena Williams USA 5 6480+1400= 7880 (Need SF to be sure no. 1?)
2 Jelena Jankovic SRB 5 5625+2000= 7625
3 Caroline Wozniacki DEN 5 5355+2000= 7355
4 Venus Williams USA 5 5111+2000= 7111
5 Samantha Stosur AUS 5 4790+2000= 6790
---
1 Serena Williams USA 5 6480+900= 7380 (Need SF or Venus can be No. 1) If Caro and JJ losses early...

SymphonyX
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Extremely slim chance on Serena's part of making this happen. Despite Venus being gifted with the Belgian duo killing each other earlier, the chances of Serena losing before the 4th round are almost non-existent. She'd best the typical Sharapova play by outgunning her. The only way Serena's going to lose in the 4th round is if 2008 AO form Sharapova shows up, which is unlikely as Maria's been playing mostly the WTA tour's losers since her shoulder injury.

As much as I love Venus, I don't think she'll get the no. 1 ranking. Not like it matters. She plays more than Serena these days. If Serena doesn't play USO warm-up events, Venus can capitalize on that and still be no. 1 after that. Serena's got more points to defend at the US Open.

zxcVbnm88
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Possible but improbable

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM
If Venus wins and Serena is out before the semis Venus will be number 1. I don't really see this happening but I do think Venus could very well have another even better shot at being number one later on in the year. ;)

poulao
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Yes, Venus is the most probable No.1 if if if...Serena for some unlikely reason would lose early. I just don't see it happen ;)

NA-GOAT
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:03 PM
anything is possible ... that is why the matches must be played ... I can see Petkovic upset Serena :bounce:

Pureracket
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
What scenarios are there that would allow Venus Williams to be #1 after Wimbledon?

Should Sharapova beat Serena in the fourth round and Venus wins the tournament that would make her #1 I believe (I think if Serena loses as far as the quarters, and Venus wins the tournament, that Venus would be #1).

Thanks.This scenario would work only if Sharapova defeats Serena? No other opponent could in order for this scenario to work.?:confused:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
anything is possible ... that is why the matches must be played ... I can see Petkovic upset Serena :bounce:

As you say that is why matches are played and I suppose Petkovic beating Serena isn't totally out of all realms of possibility although I personally find it hard to see this particular upset occuring.

To be honest I would say Venus has a significantly greater chance of losing her 2nd round match to Makarova than Serena has of losing to Petkovic, although this does seem hypothetical as I don't really expect either to lose.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
This scenario would were only if Sharapova defeats Serena? No other opponent could in order for this scenario to work.?:confused:

Sharapova has nothing to do with it. If Serena loses to anyone in the draw before the quarterfinals and Venus wins the tournament, Venus is number one. It's that simple.

Volcana
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
win the title Venus. Serena can have #1.:devil:Can I get an AYE-men?

-NAJ-
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
It is mathematically possible for 4 women to wrestle the No.1 spot from Serena Williams during Wimbledon. Serena will enjoy her 108th and 109th weeks in the top ranking spot during the Championships and can assure herself of holding on
to the No.1 spot after Wimbledon, regardless of other results, by reaching the final.
The 4 other players who have a shot at the top spot - Jelena Jankovic, Venus Williams, Caroline Wozniacki and Samantha Stosur - must all reach the SF or Final to have a mathematical CHANCE of taking the top spot:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/690/43802580.jpg

Foxy
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I don't think Venus is gonna take over the #1 ranking at Wimbledon. Sharapova WILL NOT beat Serena anytime soon. Venus and Serena can beat Sharapova anytime they meet. They've been beating her badly for the past 5 years.

Sharapova had better hope that she loses before she meets Serena or that Serena loses before they meet because she will not beat Serean on grass. I don't care how much MJF and others talk her up. She won't beat Serena on grass.

ys
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Would love that to happen.

SoClose
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
win the title Venus. Serena can have #1.:devil:

Absolutely agree :P

serenus_2k8
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
If Ree stays healthy then she should stay #1 too.

Im enjoying the WS domination at the top of the rankings, dont want anything drastic to upset that balance :unsure:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I don't think Venus is gonna take over the #1 ranking at Wimbledon. Sharapova WILL NOT beat Serena anytime soon. Venus and Serena can beat Sharapova anytime they meet. They've been beating her badly for the past 5 years.

Sharapova had better hope that she loses before she meets Serena or that Serena loses before they meet because she will not beat Serean on grass. I don't care how much MJF and others talk her up. She won't beat Serena on grass.

This thread is about the possibility of Venus taking over the number one spot for Serena. For that to happen it does mean Serena would need to lose before the Semis but it doesn't matter who she loses to. Sharapova is not really relevent to the thread and certainly not in context to her ability to beat Venus Williams who she is highly unlikely to face during this tournament.

Anyway, why would it be better for Sharapova to lose in the 1st three rounds than it would for her to lose in the 4th round? Absolutely idiotic post.

nfl46
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM
I just hope Venus wins the title. Serena can have the number one ranking. Venus winning her 8th Grand Slam is WAY more important.

vw.
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:37 AM
I just hope Venus wins the title. Serena can have the number one ranking. Venus winning her 8th Grand Slam is WAY more important.

Agreed.

gc-spurs
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:42 AM
This thread is about the possibility of Venus taking over the number one spot for Serena. For that to happen it does mean Serena would need to lose before the Semis but it doesn't matter who she loses to. Sharapova is not really relevent to the thread and certainly not in context to her ability to beat Venus Williams who she is highly unlikely to face during this tournament.

Anyway, why would it be better for Sharapova to lose in the 1st three rounds than it would for her to lose in the 4th round? Absolutely idiotic post.

Obviously because... because... yeah no. Idiot post.

Thkmra
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
Wow..what a strange set of events, when Venus has a great shot to be number one due to her 'consistency':shrug:

thegreendestiny
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:29 AM
Venus will neither win nor be No.1 again. She'll probably lose in 3R.

friendsita
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:40 AM
I want V winning the title :)

Infiniti2001
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:49 AM

I'd love to see the egg dripping from your miserable face :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM
*puts a hex on Venus' wig*

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Venus will neither win nor be No.1 again. She'll probably lose in 3R.yes. because her history at Wimbledon supports your point. :rolleyes:

SymphonyX
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM

Wimbledon is always the exception for Venus. I won't be surprised if Venus loses before the semis or quarters at the other three slams.

But Wimbledon... Wimbledon is her domain.

Matt01
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM
yes. because her history at Wimbledon supports your point. :rolleyes:

It's not like she has never lost early at Wimbledon before.

poulao
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Perhaps she has reached an age and maturity, where she's gotten tough and not easy to get rid of, not that she ever was. :lol: Time for the No.1 Venus :)