PDA

View Full Version : Which Recent Tournament Win Was the Most Surprising?

AnomyBC
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Here are the options:

Sabine Lisicki - Charleston 2009 - Ranked #63
Alexandra Dulgheru - Warsaw 2009 - Ranked #201
Kim Clijsters - US Open 2009 - Unranked
Kimiko Date Krumm - Seoul 2009 - Ranked #155
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez - Rome 2010 - Ranked #26
Aravane Rezai - Madrid 2010 - Ranked #24
Francesca Schiavone - French Open 2010 - Ranked #17
Ekaterina Makarova - Eastbourne 2010 - Ranked #100

I think I'd still go with Dulgheru myself, but Schiavone is a close 2nd. What do you guys think? And is there anyone I forgot?

InsideOut.
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I'd say Rezai...no one expected her to win with Justine in the first round...

Julian.
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Between Dulgheru and Schiavone. Still voted for Alexandra Dulgheru - Warsaw 2009.

tievae
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Schiavone...who saw that one coming?

Renalicious
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Schiavone. :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Most surprising? One really can't look beyond Alex here. To go through a field like she had in Warsaw when she had never even played a WTA main draw match previously, never beaten a top 100 player previously and never been ranked in the top 200. Prior to Warsaw it was clear Alex was improving but this sudden bolt really could not have been anticipated at all.

2nd place has to go to Kimiko. At the time of her win she was a day short of her 39th birthday. Her comeback to the tour had been going for about a year and a half. And she had yet to win her 1st WTA maindraw match during that 1 and a half year comeback prior to Seoul, although she had several times come heartbreakingly close. I recall being so happy when Kimiko won that 1st match against a lowly ranked WC. But then to see her outlast quality opponents like Kleybanova, Hantuchova, Kirilenko and Medina Garrigues was actually as shocking as it was uplifting, and it really couldn't have been more uplifting so we are talking very very high on the shock-o-graph. Players just don't win titles at 38 years old, at least that was the preconcieved wisdom before Kimiko broke the rules of what was and what was not possible.

Schiavone, MJMS, Rezai and Makarova probably all ranked around equal for me. All outstanding players in their own ways capable of outstanding things who simply had a week when everything fell together for them. But although all four had some wonderful wins during their runs none of them did anything during those runs that we didn't already know they weren't capable of doing already. Schiavone, MJMS, Rezai had all demostrated their abilities to beat top players on clay prior to their big moments and Makarova had done the same on grass.

Lisicki's win I would rank below the others in terms of surprise since the field she beat wasn't nearly as impressive as that of Schiavone, MJMS, Rezai and Makarova and unlike Dulgheru and Date-Krumm she had already established herself on the tour at the time of her win. Honestly I remember at the time hardly being surprised at all.

Clijster's win was definately very surprising but only because it came so quickly after her return to the game. Had Clijster's won the AO instead of the US Open I wouldn't have been the tiniest bit surprised. And Clijster's had won a Slam before, so for me this one is in the same ballpark as Lisicki's win.

So in order...

Alex
Kimiko

Fran
Rezai
Makarova
MJMS (I put her of 4th out of this group because the truth is I had a lot of belief she could do this prior to this win ;) )

Kim
Sabine

AnomyBC
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised there are no votes for Kimiko yet. For me she's the 3rd most surprising after Dulgheru and Schiavone.

Sander.
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Francesca :lol:

*Jool*
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I voted for Makarova cause as long as the draw was clearins up , Fran's win at RG was less and less surprising

Szavay #1
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'd say Rezai...no one expected her to win with Justine in the first round...

:yeah: and when she went all the way to the final i was like :confused: