PDA

View Full Version : (Article) Williams Sisters: Us Against The World!

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
WIMBLEDON 2010: Us against the world!

Williams sisters planning to continue family monopoly

By Malcolm Folley (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Malcolm+Folley)

Serena and Venus Williams, the greatest double act in the history of tennis, have a self-confidence that some find grating.

So when Serena, the defending Wimbledon champion, suggests that it is the sisters against the rest of the tennis world, she knows the critics will interpret her statement as just another sign of their arrogance.

The reality is, though, that the Williams sisters are the favourites again to contest the women’s final for a fifth time in nine years — and they are the reigning doubles champions at all four Grand Slam tournaments.

‘Sure, it’s us against the WTA Tour,’ said Serena starkly last week.

In the past decade only Maria Sharapova and Amelie Mauresmo have managed to prevent one of the Williams sisters from parading around the Centre Court with the winner’s Venus Rosewater Dish.

‘The other day, I had to think did I win last year, or did Venus?’ said Serena.‘Practising with Venus every day, it does get confusing.’

Rather than arrogance, the sisters prefer to liken their self-assurance to a shield. ‘Venus and I are really close,’ said Serena.

People always want to take us out and play their super-best game against us. We are taking on these players, who, basically, find a different level when they play us. I always take it as a compliment. It’s us against them.’

From their early childhood days in Compton, a ghetto of Los Angeles, the Williams sisters have always lived — and played — outside the establishment.

Yet the prospect of playing in front of The Queen when she takes her seat in the Royal Box on Thursday for the first time since she watched Virginia Wade crowned Wimbledon champion in her Silver Jubilee Year, 1977, captivates Serena.

‘I hope I am playing on Centre Court that day as that would be super-cool,’ she said.

‘Maybe I’ll even use my Members’ Badge to get into the Members’ area. I never go there.’

As someone who has been entitled to the privileges of membership of the All England Club for eight years, it is revealing that until now Serena has never felt a need to visit areas denied to the vast majority of players.

The Williams sisters are a club of two — and untroubled if that causes offence.

They remain an intimidating presence and cast a shadow over the game from which rivals struggle to emerge.

Maybe the fact we are a little talented has played a major role in why we are still at the top of the game,’ said Serena.

‘We’ve taken our careers into our own hands.’

By which she means that they play when, and where, it suits them — to the unspoken irritation of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Serena has played just five tournaments this year, while Venus has managed only two more.

Serena explained: ‘It’s hard when you have been doing something since you were two years old, it’s a long time to be mastering your career.

'We won’t play if we are injured, no matter what the consequences are.

‘As an athlete, you and live and die for these moments at tournaments like Wimbledon, or the US Open.’

Venus is the more even tempered of the two.

‘Venus is much more calm than I am, much more sensible,’ explained Serena.

‘Venus thinks things through. I do, too; but not as thoroughly. She is a real good leader and a role model for me.’

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/19/article-0-05982385000005DC-201_468x367.jpg
Take that: Serena Williams is ready for Wimbledon

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/19/article-0-0592CE46000005DC-759_306x423.jpg
On the charge: Venus Williams wants more Wimbledon glory

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/19/article-0-09F8FE6C000005DC-981_468x380.jpg
Sister act: Serena (left) and Venus Williams are ready to take on the world

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1288020/WIMBLEDON-2010-Us-world-Williams-sisters-planning-continue-family-monopoly.html

hingisGOAT
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM
She is deluded, kind of like when she made those insulting "treeing" remarks about Likhosteva. Her opponents are playing for the money honey, not for the (ahem) wonderful opportunity to peak against a Williams sister. :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd venture to say that for every opponent that plays well against Serena, there are five who get tense and choke.

ZODIAC
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:39 AM
She is deluded, kind of like when she made those insulting "treeing" remarks about Likhosteva. Her opponents are playing for the money honey, not for the (ahem) wonderful opportunity to peak against a Williams sister. :rolleyes:

Besides, I'd venture to say that for every opponent that plays well against Serena, there are five who get tense and choke.how is she deluded:confused:that the tour play the sisters hard:rolleyes:its true the tour always has the crazed look in their eyes when they play THE SISTERS:p

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Besides, I'd venture to say that for every opponent that plays well against Serena, there are five who get tense and choke.
Believe it if it makes you feel better.

You are the one who is deluded.

Ask any top players, ATP and WTA, they have said the same thing.
Martina Nav, Federer, Chris Everet, etc...

Even Ana Ivanovic, following her win at RG, noticed that other players were extra motivated when they play her.

Serena y Monica
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:51 AM

I have to wonder why you take offense at this. It is simply a fact. Not because they are Williams' but because they are at the top of the game. Playing for the money means beating the best. Every great champ...even Martina Hingis, has said the field brings their best game out against them. It's only natural.

tennisforadults
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Typical American mentality - Us VS the rest of the world. The rest of the world is really not worth differentiating. They're just everyone else outside America. :tape:

On a more serious note, there's no doubt the sisters remain the ones to beat. It is true that many players use them as the benchmark. Beating a Williams sister is almost as good as winning a Slam.

But this 'us against the tour' thing really only exists in Serena's head (since she's the one who said it). It's probably her way of motivating herself throughout her whole career. This mentality is not surprising among many successful people who have had humble beginnings. The need to prove themselves against 'everyone else' drives them to overcome obstacles e.g. poverty and achieve success.

Again, no surprise, as Serena has always seen herself as the centre of the universe.

ZODIAC
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Typical American mentality - Us VS the rest of the world. The rest of the world is really not worth differentiating. They're just everyone else outside America. :tape:

On a more serious note, there's no doubt the sisters remain the ones to beat. It is true that many players use them as the benchmark. Beating a Williams sister is almost as good as winning a Slam.

But this 'us against the tour' thing really only exists in Serena's head (since she's the one who said it). It's probably her way of motivating herself throughout her whole career. This mentality is not surprising among many successful people who have had humble beginnings. The need to prove themselves against 'everyone else' drives them to overcome obstacles e.g. poverty and achieve success.

Again, no surprise, as Serena has always seen herself as the centre of the universe.
THE SISTERS were not poor by world standards or say Eastern European standards..Richard had a small business with six workers and Oracene was a nurse..:pby 10yrs Venus had a contract with Reebok and were living in Miami so in other words they didnt exactly grow up poor like say Kirilenko who was sponsored eventually by Mirnyi or Dementieva and Myskina who shared dresses made by mama Vera..

Hachiko
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM

Agree completely. I find the whole "us versus them" mentality quite laughable.
I would believe that every player is only out for themselves and are looking to do what they can.

AkademiQ
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:22 AM

As well she should since every player is only out for themselves and are looking to do what they can.

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Yawn.

AkademiQ
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:30 AM
No, this is obviously not Serena's mentality.

How so?

HippityHop
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Compton is an independent city, not a "ghetto of Los Angeles". Who are these people? :rolleyes:

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM

You seem to be offended by the statement, or are you upset with the Americans in general and this was the last straw for you.

supergrunt
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:41 AM
hey huys guess what.. venus and serena r #s 1 & 2 and the #1 doubles team in the world

Donny
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Yawn.

Must be pretty interesting if you took the time to reply.

omoruyi
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:46 AM
‘The other day, I had to think did I win (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=412534#) last year, or did Venus?’ said Serena.‘Practising with Venus every day, it does get confusing.’
:o ~ :devil:

Donny
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:46 AM

Funny that you complain about this, then proceed to stereotype 300 million people.

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Must be pretty interesting if you took the time to reply.

No, I took the time to reply because Serena's quotes were the usual "Me, me, me" :yawn:

fawnrc
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:05 AM
They are right. And that thought process has provided some great motivation. I have always felt that it was them against the tennis establishment. Not too many of the commentators actually root for them. It's pretty much whoever they are playing. And if the person is doing well and about to beat one of the sister's, you can hear them "get one" through the tv set.

Caillou
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:08 AM
No, I took the time to reply because Serena's quotes were the usual "Me, me, me" :yawn:

Well, im gunna assume these quotes were taken from an interview, so that may be why the quotes are "me, me, me".

I love serena's answers, always entertaining, LOL to the her not remembering if she won or not last year!

Donny
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Imagine that: When interviewed about herself and her sister, her answers focus on her and her sister.

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Well, im gunna assume these quotes were taken from an interview, so that may be why the quotes are "me, me, me".

Um, I think you know what I mean by "me, me me"...

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Imagine that: When interviewed about herself and her sister, her answers focus on her and her sister.

Oh please.Don't pretend you don't know what I mean... defensive comments like that are :yawn: But nothing new anyways.

Gdsimmons
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Hateration on the Williams. Whats really new?? Anyway I agree with the article

tennisforadults
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:22 AM
You seem to be offended by the statement, or are you upset with the Americans in general and this was the last straw for you.

Hell no, love the Americans. I've been going out with one for the last 5 years! :lol:

Funny that you complain about this, then proceed to stereotype 300 million people.

True, that first statement was a stereotype. But there's a grain of truth in every stereotype. I simply meant it as tongue-in-cheek, hence following it with 'on a more serious note'.

edificio
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the sisters are a doubles team as well as individual sports women. When they take on their opponent (s), Serena is saying, it is the Williams team against the opponent. In any case, Serena is kind of making a humorous remark here. If you can't get that, well,... Also, I don't really think there is an American mentality of the U.S. vs the rest of the world--unless you are making a pun by using U.S. to mean "us"--it is more like, the U.S. is very large and tries to assert its interests over the interests (unless they are compatible) of other countries. Other countries do this too. Australia does it, India does it, the UK does it, Russia does it, France does it, China does it, basically, any country with money and influence sees its own interests as preeminent, even poor countries like North Korea. It's the nature of the human person and the governments created by those humans.

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Um, I think you know what I mean by "me, me me"...
Oh please.Don't pretend you don't know what I mean... defensive comments like that are :yawn: But nothing new anyways.
There's nothing defensive about what any of those posers said, but it's true. :shrug:

And is it any surprise that they have this mentality? Richard was undoubtedly the person who introduced it to them, when they first came onto the tour people criticised them for everything, rivals formed cliques against them, players huddled together around TV sets in the lockerrooms/players lounges in the hope that they would lose, they have been attacked by commentators and "experts" over the years for issues as trivial as even the sisters apparently "ruining the tour", attacked by their peers, and the list goes on...

edificio
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Who should she talk about...you?

In any case, she also talked about Venus.

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:42 AM
There's nothing defensive about what any of those posers said, but it's true. :shrug:

C'mon. It's perfectly clear what I meant...not that Serena is talking about herself, but making everything about herself again ("people want to play their best against me" "me against the world", etc...) Yes, playes want to play their best against Serena, Justine, Kim, etc... But whatever.

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Maybe players are out to get you because of your annoying, self-centerted attitude :rolleyes:

But wait... maybe she is annoying and self-centered because players are out to get her???

Paradox :speakles:

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:47 AM

And is it any surprise that they have this mentality? Richard was undoubtedly the person who introduced it to them, when they first came onto the tour people criticised them for everything, rivals formed cliques against them, players huddled together around TV sets in the lockerrooms/players lounges in the hope that they would lose, they have been attacked by commentators and "experts" over the years for issues as trivial as even the sisters apparently "ruining the tour", attacked by their peers, and the list goes on...

This :worship:

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:48 AM
C'mon. It's perfectly clear what I meant...not that Serena is talking about herself, but making everything about herself again ("people want to play their best against me" "me against the world", etc...) Yes, playes want to play their best against Serena, Justine, Kim, etc... But whatever.

I know what you meant. And I'm willing to bet they all did too :rolleyes:

She can't just do a normal interview and talk about how ready she is for Wimbledon.. It always has to come down to- Everyone's out to get me, I'm the favorite if I play my best, I only lost today because I played like crap, etc, etc

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Just because people have unfairly treated them in the past doesn't mean everyone is out to get them / any criticism is not warranted / they are universally disliked now. It's really a vicious circle... the "me against the world attitude" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. :shrug:

tennisforadults
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the sisters are a doubles team as well as individual sports women. When they take on their opponent (s), Serena is saying, it is the Williams team against the opponent. In any case, Serena is kind of making a humorous remark here. If you can't get that, well,... Also, I don't really think there is an American mentality of the U.S. vs the rest of the world--unless you are making a pun by using U.S. to mean "us"--it is more like, the U.S. is very large and tries to assert its interests over the interests (unless they are compatible) of other countries. Other countries do this too. Australia does it, India does it, the UK does it, Russia does it, France does it, China does it, basically, any country with money and influence sees its own interests as preeminent, even poor countries like North Korea. It's the nature of the human person and the governments created by those humans.

Whether it's the sisters as a team or individuals, it's clear that Serena feels that somehow the tour has come together to compete against them, as if everyone's sole goal is to make sure the Williams don't win. Thus the 'Sure, it’s us against the WTA Tour' comment. The reality is, the tour is made up of thousands of other individuals. They all each have their own goals, and beating one of the sisters is just a pathway to a goal, be it a Grand Slam title, or a higher ranking.

As for American politics, I'll stay clear of it in this forum. :)

Rome
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Agree completely. I find the whole "us versus them" mentality quite laughable.
I would believe that every player is only out for themselves and are looking to do what they can.

Why is it so hard to believe? Have you ever watch a match live on TV here in the American? I say most of the Tennis Sportscaster give the other guys pointer before a match and during it. Case in point the Sam Vs Serena (I was at this match seen it with my own eyes and ears) match or the Venus vs Daniela there are many others. Serena has every right to feel the way she feels.

Rome
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:59 AM
They are right. And that thought process has provided some great motivation. I have always felt that it was them against the tennis establishment. Not too many of the commentators actually root for them. It's pretty much whoever they are playing. And if the person is doing well and about to beat one of the sister's, you can hear them "get one" through the tv set.

Hit the nail on the head with this statement.

omoruyi
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:22 AM
:cat: ahhh, to remember the SI cover with Venus on it & the headline "party-crasher". those were the days...:lol:

ZODIAC
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:25 AM
I know what you meant. And I'm willing to bet they all did too :rolleyes:

She can't just do a normal interview and talk about how ready she is for Wimbledon.. It always has to come down to- Everyone's out to get me, I'm the favorite if I play my best, I only lost today because I played like crap, etc, etcshe can talk smack all day because she sitting on top of the world right now,she is no.1 in singles and doubles and has earned her stripes...I like her because she is not pc she tells it like it is.
The sisters have been called every name in the book by other players still playing and retired,they have endured ridicle for years I dont blame Serena for talking smack...she will never kiss ass:pshe alluded to the fact that when they lose the locker room has an orgy...
I remember during Wimbledon 06 Carillo openly said she invited Lisa Raymond to breakfast and gave her pointers on how to beat Venus...

edificio
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Actually, I have no idea what you are talking about. Also, seems like you are the one who is defensive. When you are interviewed about your tennis, you tend to talk about yourself, unless asked otherwise. You might have noticed that Venus, in another interview, was asked about Maria, and she answered.

kickserve
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:04 AM

In complete agreement!

kickserve
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:07 AM
THE SISTERS were not poor by world standards or say Eastern European standards..Richard had a small business with six workers and Oracene was a nurse..:pby 10yrs Venus had a contract with Reebok and were living in Miami so in other words they didnt exactly grow up poor like say Kirilenko who was sponsored eventually by Mirnyi or Dementieva and Myskina who shared dresses made by mama Vera..

This is exactly why the whole 'straight out of the ghetto of compton, taught by their father, practising amidst gunshots :rolleyes:' bs irritates me.
Those girls got world class coaching at top tennis academies in Florida.

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
:cat: ahhh, to remember the SI cover with Venus on it & the headline "party-crasher". those were the days...:lol:

http://i46.tinypic.com/fnusrm.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/n398ut.jpg

Sp!ffy
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Um well obviously players bring their best to WS because they obviously want to win. When you play a harder opponent = you play harder yourself. It has nothing to do with "OMG I'm playing serena tomorrow, what an honor! im going to show them what I got"...its simply "Yeah, Serena's good as hell...I want to beat her...so I'm bringing my best game."

But players naturally raise their level no matter who they are. So it's kind of a "duh" statement.

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM

Among the players, I can name 2 prominent players Mauresmo, Henin.
Their reasoning: It is not good if the same 2 players win all the time. The fans will be bored.

Even former players, got into the act, crticizing their power.
Gaby Sabatini went on record to say they were not good for tennis.

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/fnusrm.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/n398ut.jpg
I was looking for this.

Maybe this does not hit the newstand in Australia

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hell no, love the Americans. I've been going out with one for the last 5 years! :lol:.

I feel sorry for the poor American.
Having to listen to you all the time dismissing his/her opinion you happen to disagree with as "typical american"

tennisforadults
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I feel sorry for the poor American.
Having to listen to you all the time dismissing his/her opinionyou happen to disagree as "typical amarican"

I was being tongue-in-cheek about an American stereotype. But all the Americans I know are not stereotypical.

You know fuck all about me. Thanks for the personal attack! :rolleyes:

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Actually, I have no idea what you are talking about. Also, seems like you are the one who is defensive. When you are interviewed about your tennis, you tend to talk about yourself, unless asked otherwise. You might have noticed that Venus, in another interview, was asked about Maria, and she answered.

Read my post above. If you still don't understand, I can't help you.

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I was being tongue-in-cheek about an American stereotype. But all the Americans I know are not stereotypical.

You know fuck all about me. Thanks for the personal attack! :rolleyes:

and from your bad rep

You don't know me. Nor the people I date. What a dimwit

And you know all the Americans?

I don't believe that was "tongue-in-cheek".
You are only saying that because someone pointed out the contradiction in your post.

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
1st picture :eek::eek:

What's :eek: about it? She was a teenager dammit.

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
This is exactly why the whole 'straight out of the ghetto of compton, taught by their father, practising amidst gunshots :rolleyes:' bs irritates me.
Those girls got world class coaching at top tennis academies in Florida.

Hello!! They got world class :rolleyes: coaching only after the left the west coast :rolleyes:

sweetpeas
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Have you ever watch a match live on TV here in the American? I say most of the Tennis Sportscaster give the other guys pointer before a match and during it. Case in point the Sam Vs Serena (I was at this match seen it with my own eyes and ears) match or the Venus vs Daniela there are many others. Serena has every right to feel the way she feels.

Yep.I remember Maria stated she would like to thank the person,whom told her how to play against Serena at wimbeleon04 but didn't what to name the person at that time.WOW.

Richard did a hell of a job,coming from a farm worker to training two of the greatest tennis player's every.

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Have you ever watch a match live on TV here in the American? I say most of the Tennis Sportscaster give the other guys pointer before a match and during it. Case in point the Sam Vs Serena (I was at this match seen it with my own eyes and ears) match or the Venus vs Daniela there are many others. Serena has every right to feel the way she feels..
Mary Carillo has made this her niche as a commentator.

Yep.I remember Maria stated she would like to thank the person,whom told her how to play against Serena at wimbeleon04 but didn't what to name the person at that time.WOW.

Richard did a hell of a job,coming from a farm worker to training two of the greatest tennis player's every.
There was also a story(never confirmed), where Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis, were trying to find a way to stop the WS.

Capriati (and familyt) was also obsessed with stoping an ALL Williams final

Infiniti2001
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Among the players, I can name 2 prominent Mauresmo, Henin.
Their reasoning: It is not good if the same 2 players win all the time. The fan will be bored.

Even former players, got into the act, crticising their power.
Gaby Sabatini went on record to say they were not godd for tennis.

Don't forget the Hingis and Davenport (more Hingis) pact to try to stop the all Williams finals in 01 or 02 :eek:

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Don't forget the Hingis and Davenport (more Hingis) pact to try to stop the all Williams finals in 01 or 02 :eek:
Yes.
I did make that very point in a later post.

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Just because people have unfairly treated them in the past doesn't mean everyone is out to get them / any criticism is not warranted / they are universally disliked now. It's really a vicious circle... the "me against the world attitude" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. :shrug:
Exactly, when they came onto the tour their peers treated them like shit (Spirlea bump), trash talked them(Hingis, Davenport), called them rubbish, said they didn't even know how to play points (Kournikova), said that they were ruining the tour (Henin, Mauresmo) etc. etc. And that is exactly how this "Us against the world" attitude developed.

As I said before, the newer generation are much more respectful and you see them getting along with most players and developing friendly relationships with many players as well as some friendships. Even the old relationships seem to have healed - we saw Venus and Lindsay exchanging nice words recently when Lindsay interviewed her, and Serena and Kournikova are best friends. However that mentality is always going to be there and there will indeed be a lot of players who dislike them. We still see these articles, especially around this time of year, about players huddling around TV sets and hoping that they lose, complaining about them being "rude" or whatever, so this mentality is still justified.

And as others have said, it is also a motivating factor by believing that the players are all out to get them and thus they feel they need to play their best and try their hardest in every single match in order to win.

Dave.
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Lindsay trash talked the Sisters??! :lol:

ALL.

That was 2000 btw.

sweetpeas
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Lindsay trash talked the Sisters??!

Yes,,Lindsay use to talk shit about the sisters.Back in the early 90,with Hingis.

Olórin
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Martina Navratilova, in 2010, talks about how an All-Williams sister final would be bad for the sport and how people don't care who wins.

You can listen to the audio here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8748318.stm

And people wonder how this "us against the world" mentality has been developed or is maintained? :lol: When you have one of the game's legends and a respected commentator saying it would be bad for the sport if the number one and two seed meet in the final.

Plenty of times in the All-Williams finals over the years I have heard fans in the crowd yelling out "Go Serena" or "Go Venus" - just as in a Federer-Nadal final. Ultimately, I don't think the casual fan particularly cares about who wins when two great champions play, both have had their successes and either would well deserve to win.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Not socked at the Williams family's warped view of themselves.

mykarma
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
:lol:

Dave.
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yes,,Lindsay use to talk shit about the sisters.Back in the early 90,with Hingis.

What did she say? :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Lindsay trash talked the Sisters??! :lol:

ALL.

That was 2000 btw.

Yes, Lindsay's hands were so clean.

The Williams sisters because of the way they've been dominating the WTA Tour this summer. Jelena Dokic because her father went wacko over a high-cost piece of salmon. Anna Kournikova because . . . she's Anna Kournikova.

"There's definitely been more hype on other players in this tournament," Davenport said. "You know, I've always kind of enjoyed that--being able to have a little bit more privacy and be able to play my matches along the way a little bit more quietly."

Davenport brought the noise with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Serena Williams in the quarterfinals Wednesday night.

Then Davenport turned up the volume with her post-match disclosure that she and Martina Hingis have a running joke going between them that at least one of them had to prevent an all-Williams final.

"[Hingis] is fun to joke with," Davenport said. "Venus doesn't talk to me much. Serena, I don't see all that much. She's a little bit more friendly, maybe.

"But, I mean, Martina and I have talked for many, many years. I have a better rapport with her."

When told of the little "pact," Serena's rationale was, "I'm sure a lot of people never want to see an all-Williams final."

That was all a pack of journalists needed.

So by the time tabloids get through with this it will probably come out as "MARTINA TO LINDSAY: STOP THOSE WILLIAMSES" and "SERENA: THE WHOLE WORLD HATES US"

It's tantalizing to think of all these "Survivor"-like secret alliances, but it's probably best to follow the advice of Davenport: "I don't want too big a deal made of this."

In other words, don't turn Davenport into the Susan of the tennis world.

But just about any persona for Davenport would be more of a persona than she has now. She's known as the one who plays it straight, talks straight.

Not even the people who get paid to be clever can find a way to jazz up Davenport's image. A series of American Express ads plastered over the city highlight qualities of tennis players past and present and refer to how long they have used the card.

Bjorn Borg has been "Valiant since 84." Martina Hingis has been a "Femme Fatale since 99." Michael Chang has been "Relentless since 90."

So what has Davenport been doing since she became a cardmember in 1997? "Standing tall."

winone23
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Not socked at the Williams family's warped view of themselves.

Don't trouble yourself with the Williams sisters, just worry about Melanie the Great white Nope.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Hmm.

Davenport sounds 'warning' to the Williams Sisters

New York - Second-seeded Lindsay Davenport came up one game short of a double-bagel breakfast at the National Tennis Centre on Tuesday, devouring Spain's Gala Leon Garcia 6-0 6-1 at the US Open tennis championships.

Her good form hints that the battle for the title will not be a two-horse raise between defending champion Serena Williams and Wimbledon winner Venus.

Davenport, the 1998 Open champion, needed only 44 minutes to dismiss Leon Garcia, who avoided the dreaded whitewash by winning the fourth game of the second set.

World No 2 Davenport began a busy day at Arthur Ashe Stadium that began with the sun peeking through a cloudy sky and lively breezes blowing at Flushing Meadows.

Two weeks ago, Davenport retired in the third round at Montreal with a left foot injury, but she showed no ill effects as she romped to victory.

Davenport said she was surprised yet pleased at having such an easy time against the 29th-ranked Leon Garcia.

"It's nice to feel like you're playing well and get the first matches under your belt," said Davenport, who unleashed 20 winners, including a forehand blast that ended the one-sided contest. "To win easy is a good thing."

Following Davenport onto the centre stage of Arthur Ashe Stadium was second-seeded French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten, who was taking on Australian Wayne Arthurs.

Defending women's champion Serena Williams was due to close the centre court day programme against Tina Pisnik of Slovenia, winner of this year's Croatian Open.

Fourth-seeded French Open champion Mary Pierce was also beginning her Open campaign on Tuesday, going against dangerous floater Alexandra Stevenson.

Tuesday's early action produced another seeded winner as No 10 Anke Huber of Germany defeated American Meilen Tu, a former Open junior champion, 6-2 6-3.

Davenport, who earlier this season mounted a 21-match winning streak, said all the attention paid to Wimbledon champion Venus Williams and her sister Serena, the defending Open champion, suited her just fine.

"I think the position I'm in is absolutely perfect for me," Davenport said about not being in the spotlight.

Davenport made it clear that both she and world No 1 Martina Hingis were determined to stem the Williams family charge.

"The Williamses have really dominated through the summer," acknowledged Davenport. "Martina and I are looking to stop that here." - Reuters

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM

:spit: What did Lindsay do wrong?

Of course other players are going to look to stop the all-Williams final. People wanted to stop all-Belgian or all-Russian finals too when they kept happening :rolleyes:.

There are two different reasons why the Williams should feel it's us vs. the tour. The first is legitimate and not their fault: they dominated tennis and so players were looking to beat them. The second, the one I have a problem with, is that they (especially Serena) seem to be unable to give a civilized interview without degrading another player or causing some sort of scandal :rolleyes:.

Half of it is because they're good at tennis, so they should feel like other players are after them (this should be a compliment to them). The other half, though, is entirely their fault and I don't have any sympathy for them at all.

Donny
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:05 PM
:spit: What did Lindsay do wrong?

Of course other players are going to look to stop the all-Williams final. People wanted to stop all-Belgian or all-Russian finals too when they kept happening :rolleyes:.

There are two different reasons why the Williams should feel it's us vs. the tour. The first is legitimate and not their fault: they dominated tennis and so players were looking to beat them. The second, the one I have a problem with, is that they (especially Serena) seem to be unable to give a civilized interview without degrading another player or causing some sort of scandal :rolleyes:.

Half of it is because they're good at tennis, so they should feel like other players are after them (this should be a compliment to them). The other half, though, is entirely their fault and I don't have any sympathy for them at all.

Who? Do you have any quotes to this effect?

Slutiana
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
My *favourite* Lindsay quote:

"Who knows what's going on with that family. Serena's more friendly. At least she can bring herself to say hi. Venus can't-or won't-even speak. Venus likes to give the impression that she's so great, that she's Da bomb, or whatever. She can say it all she wants but that just means she doesn't have it. She gets psyched out in big matches. She 's not happy with her sister winning and the pressure is really falling on her."

:shrug:

Dave.
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Indeed they were, girl. Nothing you posted contained trash talking from Lindsay.

Here is what Lindsay actually said on that whole "pact" thing which she didn't have anything to do with.

Q. What is your reaction when you see headlines such as today in the tabloid, "No love match, Hingis and Davenport against the Williams sisters"?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard. I heard Serena say the players don't want it because they don't like us. The players don't want it because they want to be in the finals. I don't want to see an all-Williams final when I feel I should be there. You know, obviously Martina feels the same way. So, I mean, we don't want to see the final because we want to be there. Has nothing to do with whether we like them or not.

Q. Bad blood thing is overrated, exaggerated?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, yeah. I mean, you know, of course, I mean, as soon as I said it, I'm like, "Oh, great, here we go." Martina and I have gotten along for a number of years. We're not that close. We're not like sisters. We don't feel like we're ganging up on them or anything like that. We just have a nice relationship and get along well.

Q. Do you feel like, though, maybe you should clear the air with Serena because there might be a misinterpretation of what was said?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I think that she's probably hopefully smart enough to figure out, you know, if I'm in the tournament, I'm going to want to be in the finals and not see her in the final, especially when she's in my draw. I don't think she would think of it that way - hopefully not.

AcesHigh
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Lindsay :hearts:
Telling it like it is

Dave.
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM

"Who knows what's going on with that family. Serena's more friendly. At least she can bring herself to say hi. Venus can't-or won't-even speak. Venus likes to give the impression that she's so great, that she's Da bomb, or whatever. She can say it all she wants but that just means she doesn't have it. She gets psyched out in big matches. She 's not happy with her sister winning and the pressure is really falling on her."

When is this quote from?

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Who? Do you have any quotes to this effect?

No, and I would have to dig pretty hard to find them, because 1) the all-Russian finals were only for less than a year, 2) we weren't talking about two of the best players in the history of the game, and 3) the press can't spin and blow-up anti-Russian sentiment like they can with news that Americans aren't all lovey dovey with other Americans.

You'd have to be an idiot though if you didn't think players were out to beat the Russians and Belgians when they were winning in tennis.

Which, brings in an entirely different issue with the Williams sisters, the press. As this article shows, a lot of nothing is blown up, and rather than ignore it Serena comments on it (which is perfectly in her right and I do not blame her for it)

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Indeed they were, girl. Nothing you posted contained trash talking from Lindsay.

Here is what Lindsay actually said on that whole "pact" thing which she didn't have anything to do with.

Thank you for that.

That's exactly what I mean by the press taking things and spinning it-- and they do it will the things the Williams say too, not just the ones about the Williams.

Olórin
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
is that they (especially Serena) seem to be unable to give a civilized interview without degrading another player or causing some sort of scandal :rolleyes:.

:rolleyes:

twight6
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM

No way :rolleyes:

Foxy
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:22 PM
You go baby girl. Everything you stated was the absolute truth, and a Williams will be holding that Venus Rosewater Trophy up on July 4, 2010. We will gain independence one more time.

I've watched all of those players who will walk on to the court and play both Venus and Serena like their lives depend on it. They will gain their 15 minutes of fame and be the talk of the women's tournament and make the news headline. Then they will turn right around and lose and punk out to a lesser player the following day.

Name one of these lower ranked women who have gained 15 minutes of fame by beating Venus or Serena go on to win a major grandslam. All of those lower ranked women who lived for the day that they would take down a Williams has either retired or dropped so far out of the rankings that their names is not even mentioned anymore. Who talks about Sprem, Vidasova, Molik, and other lower ranked players who got their 15 minutes of fame then dropped so far out of contention that it's a joke.

Serena is right and everyone will be gunning for both Venus and Serena because they have had a choke hold on Wimbledon and they are the only ones who is winning all the Wimbledon money. Venus got the women equal money 4 years ago and guess what, Venus and Serena has all of the millions of Wimbledon singles, and doubles money in their bank accounts. Who has won that equal prize money other than Venus and Serena. And they are gonna take it home this year too. If the Queen is presenting the trophy and money, she will be giving it to a Williams Sister.

Venus and Serena are not arrogant, they are confident black women.

Vaidisova Ruled
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Don't trouble yourself with the Williams sisters, just worry about Melanie the Great white Nope.
Why did you say "white" ? Why didn't you just say "american hope" ?
Please, elaborate more. I want to see how smart you are.

VishaalMaria
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM

Fast forward ten (or more) years later and Venus is having the last laugh, not only is she competing for slam titles but she delt with the pressure a whole lot better than Davenport, stopping her from winning three slam single titles.

pav
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Just a slight but annoying mental problem, probably coming through from the sire.

Olórin
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Why did you say "white" ? Why didn't you just say "american hope" ?
Please, elaborate more. I want to see how smart you are.

Do yourself a favour and turn your powers of introspection upon yourself. You did't even read it correctly - Winone didn't say "hope" she said "nope".
"Great White Hope" is a well known phrase on this board and Winone parodied and mocked it with with "Great White Nope" - how would Great American Nope have any comical effect? Winone made a joke at Oudin's expense, unfortunately you didn't have the wit to see it.

DannerCal
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Today is the most confusing day of the year for Serena fans!

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM

You sound ridiculous.

Of course it's them against the world. They both want the other to get to the finals so they can play each other. That NECESSITATES an "us against the world" attitude, whether the other girls believe it to be so or not.

And if you can't see how this attitude applies to them in doubles then, :help:

StephenUK
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM

My comments on the Williams v the tour thing, it seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy:

1. The sisters were raised by a close-knit family and it is clear from all the books, TV shows etc that they have been brought up to see themselves as somehow apart from everyone else. You read Serena's autobiog and no-one not named Williams seems to have any importance in her life, which is very weird for someone almost aged 30 who is not royal or a Kennedy!

2. Their religion. They are Jehovah's Witnesses and believe that they are the elect and the rest of us will go to hell. Hardly conducive to seeing the rest of the world as equals.

3. The idea that there is some sort of conspiracy against the family by the tour is laughable. Right back in 97, Venus got given Court 1 at Wimbledon for her debut when not even ranked in the top 50 whereas Iva Majoli who had just beaten Hingis to win Roland Garros, was banished to court 2. They were given protected top seedings and rankings when they came back injured in 03-04, a privilege never given to any other players. That's just two examples of favouritism towards the sisters, it's not surprising, given that they and Sharapova are the top marquee names in the sport. The Williams family, of course, do not see this and see the whole tour as plotting against them, with Indian Wells playing a key role in that paranoia.

4. Of course, being the best players of the last decade means that everyone wants to beat them, but that has always been the same for the top players.

5. It is pretty clear that neither sister is that popular with the other players. Is that surprising when they have just about never played doubles with anyone else, a natural way to make friends on tour? Posters talk about trash talking but the stories about Venus not speaking to other players are pretty constant for the last fifteen years, so it has a ring of truth to it. Monica Seles complained about being blanked, we've seen those Lindsay quotes and there was an article this week where Natalie Grandin and Abigail Spears said that they would never have a proper conversation with them. Add to that the arrogance expressed in interviews, particularly of Serena. Serena may be right to see Wimbledon pretty much as a Williams monopoly but the same cannot be said for Roland Garros where neither sister has appeared in the last 8 singles finals. You've got to look at it from the other players' point of view.Would you like a work colleague who was unfriendly and never spoke to you or one that was friendly and good company? It's hardly rocket science why the victory of Francesca Schiavone would be a lot more popular in the locker room than the latest Williams one.

bandabou
Jun 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
My comments on the Williams v the tour thing, it seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy:

1. The sisters were raised by a close-knit family and it is clear from all the books, TV shows etc that they have been brought up to see themselves as somehow apart from everyone else. You read Serena's autobiog and no-one not named Williams seems to have any importance in her life, which is very weird for someone almost aged 30 who is not royal or a Kennedy!

2. Their religion. They are Jehovah's Witnesses and believe that they are the elect and the rest of us will go to hell. Hardly conducive to seeing the rest of the world as equals.

3. The idea that there is some sort of conspiracy against the family by the tour is laughable. Right back in 97, Venus got given Court 1 at Wimbledon for her debut when not even ranked in the top 50 whereas Iva Majoli who had just beaten Hingis to win Roland Garros, was banished to court 2. They were given protected top seedings and rankings when they came back injured in 03-04, a privilege never given to any other players. That's just two examples of favouritism towards the sisters, it's not surprising, given that they and Sharapova are the top marquee names in the sport. The Williams family, of course, do not see this and see the whole tour as plotting against them, with Indian Wells playing a key role in that paranoia.

4. Of course, being the best players of the last decade means that everyone wants to beat them, but that has always been the same for the top players.

5. It is pretty clear that neither sister is that popular with the other players. Is that surprising when they have just about never played doubles with anyone else, a natural way to make friends on tour? Posters talk about trash talking but the stories about Venus not speaking to other players are pretty constant for the last fifteen years, so it has a ring of truth to it. Monica Seles complained about being blanked, we've seen those Lindsay quotes and there was an article this week where Natalie Grandin and Abigail Spears said that they would never have a proper conversation with them. Add to that the arrogance expressed in interviews, particularly of Serena. Serena may be right to see Wimbledon pretty much as a Williams monopoly but the same cannot be said for Roland Garros where neither sister has appeared in the last 8 singles finals. You've got to look at it from the other players' point of view.Would you like a work colleague who was unfriendly and never spoke to you or one that was friendly and good company? It's hardly rocket science why the victory of Francesca Schiavone would be a lot more popular in the locker room than the latest Williams one.

Nice, nice...but you ain't making much of sense in some of your comments. IW isn't paranoia, it's the TRUTH..but they solved it nicely no? Just not playing IW and giving the fans the players they wanna see. Everybody wins.

And it ain't their problem if Schiavona's win is more celebrated than a sister win. The other girls know what to do: Beat them starting tomorrow...shouldn't be that hard, really. Disliking can be a good fuel, no?

Donny
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM

I'd say their attitude is a reaction to outside factors, not the other way around. There are players- Henin and Sharapova immediately come to mind- who are as distant and aloof as Venus or Serena ever was, yet don't receive the sort of flak the sisters do.

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM

Are you jealous because you're not close to your family?

Another dumb statement. Catholics have always believed the same thing so what's your point. Let's face it, most religions believe that there's is the best or they wouldn't be practicing it.

Where did she say there was a conspiracy against them? It doesn't seem as though the sisters give a fat rats ass about what the tour thinks of them.

Hurts doesn't it?

5. [QUOTE]It is pretty clear that neither sister is that popular with the other players.
You know that how? You act like these women are in high school. :lol:

Is that surprising when they have just about never played doubles with anyone else, a natural way to make friends on tour?
:spit: Do you realize how dumb that sounds. They're number one in doubles but they should play with someone else just to be their friend. :taped:
Posters talk about trash talking but the stories about Venus not speaking to other players are pretty constant for the last fifteen years, so it has a ring of truth to it. Monica Seles complained about being blanked, we've seen those Lindsay quotes and there was an article this week where Natalie Grandin and Abigail Spears said that they would never have a proper conversation with them. Add to that the arrogance expressed in interviews, particularly of Serena. Serena may be right to see Wimbledon pretty much as a Williams monopoly but the same cannot be said for Roland Garros where neither sister has appeared in the last 8 singles finals. You've got to look at it from the other players' point of view.Would you like a work colleague who was unfriendly and never spoke to you or one that was friendly and good company? It's hardly rocket science why the victory of Francesca Schiavone would be a lot more popular in the locker room than the latest Williams one.
I can't even respond to the rest of your post because you're hysterical.

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:37 AM
my two cents, lol, do they have to be miss goodie goodie to every women on the tour??

because they don't have meaningful, in-depth convos with either of the sisters doesn't directly mean they are being arrogant. may it be perceived that way because the sisters have accomplished a lot and all those successes are attached to their name, not to mention the controversy in their beginning years on tour probably gave some players a preconceived notion of how the sisters are???

to claim that is just really not fair.

Atomic
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:54 AM
Another dumb statement. Catholics have always believed the same thing so what's your point. Let's face it, most religions believe that there's is the best or they wouldn't be practicing it.

I believe you were going for theirs :)

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Martina Navratilova, in 2010, talks about how an All-Williams sister final would be bad for the sport and how people don't care who wins.

You can listen to the audio here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8748318.stm

And people wonder how this "us against the world" mentality has been developed or is maintained? :lol: When you have one of the game's legends and a respected commentator saying it would be bad for the sport if the number one and two seed meet in the final.

Plenty of times in the All-Williams finals over the years I have heard fans in the crowd yelling out "Go Serena" or "Go Venus" - just as in a Federer-Nadal final. Ultimately, I don't think the casual fan particularly cares about who wins when two great champions play, both have had their successes and either would well deserve to win.I thought Martina was supposed to be recovering from cancer and its well known that a positive mindset is crucial for healing....thats just sour grapes,how is it bad for the sport so the sisters should stay home because Martina says its not okay...

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Serena speaks the truth<3

Paneru
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
People are only pissed because V&S do it their way, do it well, and their showcase bears it all out. ;)

Lindsay & Martina(among others) were only bitchy because they felt threatened. :cool:

Navratilova claims no one cares, but she sure as heck did last year. And was
quite happy over Serena's win because in her mind it makes Venus opportunity
to equal or surpass her less likely. Martina is so transparent.

RenaSlam.
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM

1.) A lot of players benefitted from special seedings and protected rankings back then.

2.) And why would they or any other top player/regular tour player need to have a conversation with Spears/Grandin? They are basically doubles journeywomen...:shrug: If they don't feel the need to talk/converse with them, why should they?

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM
I thought Martina was supposed to be recovering from cancer and its well known that a positive mindset is crucial for healing....thats just sour grapes,how is it bad for the sport so the sisters should stay home because Martina says its not okay...

:weirdo: This is one of the DUMBEST posts I have ever read, bar none.

First of all, what on earth does Martina's cancer have to do with the Williams sisters?? Second, her attitude isn't "negative" AT ALL, except you might possibly be able to argue toward the sisters. Her reasons are a perfectly legitimate point of view: if you have Williams v. Williams, a lot of the tennis world (i.e. those that aren't a fan of Venus or Serena) are not going to really care which sister wins it, which reduces fans/viewers. It would be the same thing if (for example) a person hated both Sharapova and Dementieva, and they played in the final-- that person would not care who won. Martina is in no way telling them to "stay home," or to not try to make it an all-Williams final; she's simply saying she prefers it when it isn't Williams v. Williams, from both a personal perspective and someone who tries her best to promote the game. As has been said so many times about Serena in the past, I will say this about Martina: she has the right to her own opinion, and she is not criticizing Serena or Venus in any way.

Paneru
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:38 AM
I think the funniest thing about all this whining over how/if Venus or Serena interact with other players is that it hasn't seemed to bother them one little bit. Hence, Us against the World. If nothing else, they've got each other and it is all they need.

dsanders06
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:43 AM
I'd say their attitude is a reaction to outside factors, not the other way around. There are players- Henin and Sharapova immediately come to mind- who are as distant and aloof as Venus or Serena ever was, yet don't receive the sort of flak the sisters do.

They both receieve tons of flak for it, Sharapova especially so. But the difference is they don't go into press conferences and talk shit about their opponents like the Williamses do/did.

(In fairness, Venus has long since stopped doing this.)

Bayo
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:52 AM

No. 2 - Never heard either one use their religion for a soapbox. You'd probably only know if you listened to one of their acceptance speeches. They thank Jehovah after kicking ass and then move on to Isha & Co.

No. 5 - If memory serves, Venus has played doubles with Caroline, and Serena has played doubles with Navratilova (ironically enough). As for the other part: you're in a tremendously successful doubles partnership at the professional level that loses next to never, so you break that pairing...to make more friends?

Infiniti2001
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:53 AM
I think the funniest thing about all this whining over how/if Venus or Serena interact with other players is that it hasn't seemed to bother them one little bit. Hence, Us against the World. If nothing else, they've got each other and it is all they need.

This :wavey:

kickserve
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:14 AM

Umm Henin and Sharapova especially receive a lot of flack for their aloofness.

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
I believe you were going for theirs :)
Thank you sweetheart and I'm sure you got my drift.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM
Man I LOVE THOSE GIRLS! Had it not been for them playing, I would not even be interested in tennis. They really really make Americans proud and the African Americans put them on a pedistal in this sport. It will be a very very sad day in tennis when they retire....I really do think i'm going to literally cry. lol

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:30 AM
They both receieve tons of flak for it, Sharapova especially so. But the difference is they don't go into press conferences and talk shit about their opponents like the Williamses do/did.

(In fairness, Venus has long since stopped doing this.)
you are an unashamed and well known Williams hater:p

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:32 AM
Man I LOVE THOSE GIRLS! Had it not been for them playing, I would not even be interested in tennis. They really really make Americans proud and the African Americans put them on a pedistal in this sport. It will be a very very sad day in tennis when they retire....I really do think i'm going to literally cry. lol

When a white player wins I'm sure white fans dont think how proud they are to be white. :rolleyes:

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:36 AM
When a white player wins I'm sure white fans dont think how proud they are to be white. :rolleyes:
:happy::happy::happy:

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:37 AM
:weirdo: This is one of the DUMBEST posts I have ever read, bar none.

First of all, what on earth does Martina's cancer have to do with the Williams sisters?? Second, her attitude isn't "negative" AT ALL, except you might possibly be able to argue toward the sisters. Her reasons are a perfectly legitimate point of view: if you have Williams v. Williams, a lot of the tennis world (i.e. those that aren't a fan of Venus or Serena) are not going to really care which sister wins it, which reduces fans/viewers. It would be the same thing if (for example) a person hated both Sharapova and Dementieva, and they played in the final-- that person would not care who won. Martina is in no way telling them to "stay home," or to not try to make it an all-Williams final; she's simply saying she prefers it when it isn't Williams v. Williams, from both a personal perspective and someone who tries her best to promote the game. As has been said so many times about Serena in the past, I will say this about Martina: she has the right to her own opinion, and she is not criticizing Serena or Venus in any way.

:rolleyes:well she is clearly showing that she doesnt want any of the sisters to win and she is aware that Venus might equal her 6 Wimbledon titles....plus Rodger wins a lot how come no one has ever complained that its boring that one player always wins....nobody said anything when he swept all but one slam for three years...its called double standards:rolleyes:

RenaSlam.
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:39 AM
well she is clearly showing that she doesnt want any of the sisters to win and she is aware that Venus might equal her 6 Wimbledon titles....plus Rodger wins a lot how come no one has ever complained that its boring that one player always wins....nobody said anything when he swept all but one slam for three years...its called double standards:rolleyes:

She has 9 you idiot.

And who the f@$! is Rodger?

tennisforadults
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
and from your bad rep

For all those lines you've crossed, you deserve every bad rep that comes your way.

And you know all the Americans?

I don't believe that was "tongue-in-cheek".
You are only saying that because someone pointed out the contradiction in your post.

Believe what you 'choose to' believe. Trying to claim higher ground? Please.

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM
She has 9 you idiot.

And who the f@$! is Rodger?okay you got my attention!!I know your ass is itchy but I am not biting fool..:pgetalife.com:p

Infiniti2001
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:51 AM
No. 2 - Never heard either one use their religion for a soapbox. You'd probably only know if you listened to one of their acceptance speeches. They thank Jehovah after kicking ass and then move on to Isha & Co.

No. 5 - If memory serves, Venus has played doubles with Caroline, and Serena has played doubles with Navratilova (ironically enough). As for the other part: you're in a tremendously successful doubles partnership at the professional level that loses next to never, so you break that pairing...to make more friends?

Some people think they know it all :lol: They just can't seem to realize they speak of their asses.:rolleyes: The Williames are so against the world yet if you've noticed the most people who have been in their circle from the getgo are still with them:lol:

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
Some people think they know it all :lol: They just can't seem to realize they speak of their asses.:rolleyes: The Williames are so against the world yet if you've noticed the most people who have been in their circle from the getgo are still with them:lol:
Venus, the ambassador/grand dame of wta is the reason that the women are getting equal pay at this particular tournament and dear Serena the arrogant self centered one has built two schools in Africa for children that might not ever had the opportunity of attending school. Yeah, I love those arrogant Williams sisters. Keep it up ladies, win those trophies.

Forgot to add that it was Venus who spoke out for Peer when Dubai refused her entry because she's Jewish. She also embraced her after their match. What an awful, arrogant, cold person she is.

omoruyi
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM
not to mention the controversy in their beginning years on tour probably gave some players a preconceived notion of how...and was there any real controversy or was it just media spin? i could never figure it out...cuz they didnt play juniors after a certain age?....cuz Richard liked to talk crap to the press?

People are only pissed because V&S do it their way, do it well, and their showcase bears it all out. ;)

& theres nothin' wrong with that!
I think the funniest thing about all this whining over how/if Venus or Serena interact with other players is that it hasn't seemed to bother them one little bit. Hence, Us against the World. If nothing else, they've got each other and it is all they need. i mean if 'top player X' is best friends with 'top payer Y' & a few others in a 'cliquey' manner its ok. but if those 2 players r sisters(see family) then it is offensive? why should they venture out of their security & comfort, there is certainly no need to...like you say "their showcase bears it all out" :shrug: if it aint broke...

well then it must be nice for those fans, lucky them ~ ;)

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM
:lol: Anytime either sister says something, anything...you get like 20 pages. When in reality nothing was said.

Stamp Paid
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM
When a white player wins I'm sure white fans dont think how proud they are to be white. :rolleyes:...:lol::lol::lol:

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
When a white player wins I'm sure white fans dont think how proud they are to be white. :rolleyes:I guess you really are that stupid. I hope you aren't white, because you'd really give white people a bad name. :o

Anywho, Martina just doesn't know her role. She should shut her mouth when talking about the current generation of tennis players negatively. Just don't go there; your time has passed. She just comes off as jealous and insecure about her own legacy.

But I don't expect anything much from her, sitting all sourpuss whenever Venus wins at Wimbledon.:rolleyes:

Slutiana
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM
No way :rolleyes:
:happy:

I hate to break it to you, but it is a real quote, taken out of 'Venus Envy' by Jon Wertheim

That's complete bullshit though. As I have already said, both are pretty good friends with Wozniacki, they're always friendly at the net with people with especially Serena often having minute-long conversations with people at the net. Venus is just a quiet person in general and yet people want to turn it around and say that they are rude. Most of the older players were just jealous of the fact that the WS were getting far more attention than them before they had even done anything. But a lot of the old peers have matured and their new ones are more respectful so there are many more healthy relationships.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Exactly...not everybody is as outgoing as "Donkey" from Shrek. :lol:

But Serena seems to be pretty cool with the younger generation..good friends with Woz, Aga..and Vika too no?

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
nobody questions how pova is very cold to other players,at least Serena talks with other players.I think most them are jealous of the sisters especially the older generation ..

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
:lol: Maria doesn't even talk to the other Russians, for christ sake. I mean, come on.

Wimbledon9
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
It is so bad when people do not want to really listen to what Martina said. She said that if the William sisters are both in the finals the public is not involved and stay silence or they do not care because a Williams will win. The broadcast from the BBC was longer, there was a sportjournalist in the studio and he agreed with her, there was no nastiness in her answer to a question, something I cannot say from the Williams fans. When Martina and Chris played so many matches the public had a player to choose. So distastefull to bring her illnes in this thread but you let know by that that you have no class. If you were really interested in other people you would have know that after the surgery in march she was already cancer free and that she needed six weeks of radiaton tratment for precaution. She had them before during and after the French Open you can easily work during radiation it is recommended to work. She even won the legends event with Jana Novotna. You are only interested in the William sisters and before and after them you could not give a thing. The game of tennis is played already for a very long time ages.

ZODIAC
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
well she will get even more bored when the sisters clear the singles and doubles..

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
It is so bad when people do not want to really listen to what Martina said. She said that if the William sisters are both in the finals the public is not involved and stay silence or they do not care because a Williams will win. The broadcast from the BBC was longer, there was a sportjournalist in the studio and he agreed with her, there was no nastiness in her answer to a question, something I cannot say from the Williams fans. When Martina and Chris played so many matches the public had a player to choose. So distastefull to bring her illnes in this thread but you let know by that that you have no class. If you were really interested in other people you would have know that after the surgery in march she was already cancer free and that she needed six weeks of radiaton tratment for precaution. She had them before during and after the French Open you can easily work during radiation it is recommended to work. She even won the legends event with Jana Novotna. You are only interested in the William sisters and before and after them you could not give a thing. The game of tennis is played already for a very long time ages.

:worship:

But no point in bothering with some people.

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM

:worship: exactly what I've been saying :yeah:

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM

I hate to break it to you, but it is a real quote, taken out of 'Venus Envy' by Jon Wertheim

Page number, please

madmax
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
:lol: Maria doesn't even talk to the other Russians, for christ sake. I mean, come on.

Maria is friends with plenty of russian girls - Kirilenko, Pivovarova just to name a few:wavey: Don't bring her into this thread, please

tennisbum79
Jun 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wimbledon9 http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18015824#post18015824)
It is so bad when people do not want to really listen to what Martina said. She said that if the William sisters are both in the finals the public is not involved and stay silence or they do not care because a Williams will win. The broadcast from the BBC was longer, there was a sportjournalist in the studio and he agreed with her, there was no nastiness in her answer to a question, something I cannot say from the Williams fans. When Martina and Chris played so many matches the public had a player to choose. So distastefull to bring her illnes in this thread but you let know by that that you have no class. If you were really interested in other people you would have know that after the surgery in march she was already cancer free and that she needed six weeks of radiaton tratment for precaution. She had them before during and after the French Open you can easily work during radiation it is recommended to work. She even won the legends event with Jana Novotna. You are only interested in the William sisters and before and after them you could not give a thing. The game of tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=412534&page=9#) is played already for a very long time ages.
:worship:

But no point in bothering with some people.

It is interesting that both of you chose to parse Martina's stament and ignore the avalanche of evidence , spanning few years and documented in print and TV, forming a backdrop for what Serena said.

Davenport, Gaby Sabatini, Martina Nav, Martina H. Mauresmo, Justine, Dementieva, Capriati (and her mother) Davenport-Hingis tandem; and these are just some of the players who invariably made statetements ranging from how the WS were bad for tennis, because they win all the time, their style of play, or if they keep winning the fan will be bored and not show up.

And these are just some their contemproraries and retired players. Retired players including some Venus and Serena had respect and looked up.

Then there the commentators, all over the world, telling their listeners or readers how bad the women tennis will become with the breakthrough of Venus and Serena.

Now if you ( or a relative of yours) were Venus or Serena, how would you read this?

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
When did Davenport or Mauresmo or Justine or Dementieva say that the WS were bad for tennis? :haha:

quotes please!

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
When did Davenport or Mauresmo or Justine or Dementieva say that the WS were bad for tennis? :haha:

quotes please!
While laughing why not answer the question the poster asked?

Now if you ( or a relative of yours) were Venus or Serena, how would you read this?

edificio
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM

quotes please!

Mauresmo did say something to that effect. Of course, it came after she lost to one or the other. I'm not sure it wasn't just sour grapes at the time.

As for Navratilova's comment. So...because the crowd can't pick a player to support, having a Venus vs Serena final is bad for tennis? If Angelique Kerber plays Dulgheru in the Wimbledon final, I'm not really going to have an immediate favorite. No, I'll just watch the match and probably enjoy it, eventually one or the other will get more of my support. I mean, really, the idea that these two women Venus and Serena could be bad for tennis is utterly ridiculous, and I don't care how expert Nav and her peer are, that's just ridiculous.

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
While laughing why not answer the question the poster asked?

According to most WS fans, they don't care.

But the premise is entirely false to begin with so there was no point in answering a baseless question

tennisbum79
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM

quotes please!
Muaresmo, Justine and Dementieva said that if the 2 sisters will all the time, the fan will be bored and stop coming to the tennis game.

Daven did not make such statement, but she had pact with Hingis to evering in to stop the WS.

After this surfaced, she was asked again about if, and she tried to walk back what she said.
If you read the earlier posts, you will find the exact quotes.

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM
Mauresmo did say something to that effect. Of course, it came after she lost to one or the other. I'm not sure it wasn't just sour grapes at the time.

As for Navratilova's comment. So...because the crowd can't pick a player to support, having a Venus or Serena final is bad for tennis? If Angelique Kerber plays Dulgheru in the Wimbledon final, I'm not really going to have an immediate favorite. No, I'll just watch the match and probably enjoy it, eventually one or the other will get more of my support. I mean, really, the idea that these two women Venus and Serena could be bad for tennis is utterly ridiculous, and I don't care how expert Nav and her peer are, that's just ridiculous.

First, Nav didnt say they were bad for tennis.

Secondly, it's not hte same as not having a fave. Have you seen the crowd during a WS final? Usually they're dead b/c it's incredibly hard to root for one or the other. The tension is incredible and I'm sure it's an uncomfortable feeling. Combine that with the fact that their finals are usually subpar quality and I understand what Navratilova is saying.

If you're a WS fan it's different b/c you don't really care who wins.. you win either way. For non-fans of the WS, it's an incredible bore.

AcesHigh
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
Muaresmo, Justine and Dementieva said that if the 2 sisters will all the time, the fan will be bored and stop coming to the tennis game.

Daven did not make such statement, but she had pact with Hingis to evering in to stop the WS.

After this surfaced, she was asked again about if, and she tried to walk back what she said.

Yea.. and it was the press misconstruing things. There was no such pact :rolleyes:

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
It is so bad when people do not want to really listen to what Martina said. She said that if the William sisters are both in the finals the public is not involved and stay silence or they do not care because a Williams will win. The broadcast from the BBC was longer, there was a sportjournalist in the studio and he agreed with her, there was no nastiness in her answer to a question, something I cannot say from the Williams fans. When Martina and Chris played so many matches the public had a player to choose. So distastefull to bring her illnes in this thread but you let know by that that you have no class. If you were really interested in other people you would have know that after the surgery in march she was already cancer free and that she needed six weeks of radiaton tratment for precaution. She had them before during and after the French Open you can easily work during radiation it is recommended to work. She even won the legends event with Jana Novotna. You are only interested in the William sisters and before and after them you could not give a thing. The game of tennis is played already for a very long time ages.Sorry, but Martina should just shut up!

How does she know what other people think about the Williams sisters playing in the finals?

And even if she had some kind of internal polling capability, she could have just said "having the two best players contest the final is always good for tennis." She is supposed to be a supporter of women's tennis, so no need to be all negative about women's tennis or the top two players. Again, she just comes off bitter and jealous that the Williams sisters have dominated her favorite tournament.:help:

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
It is interesting that both of you chose to parse Martina's stament and ignore the avalanche of evidence , spanning few years and documented in print and TV, forming a backdrop for what Serena said.

Davenport, Gaby Sabatini, Martina Nav, Martina H. Mauresmo, Justine, Dementieva, Capriati (and her mother, Davenport-Hingis tandem and these are just some of the players who invariably made statetements ranging from how the WS were bad for tennis, because they win all the time, their style of play, or if they keep winning the fan will be bored and not show up.

And these are just some their contemproraries and retired players. Retired players including some Venus and Serena had respect and looked up.

Then there the commentators, all over the world, telling their listeners or readers how bad the women tennis will become with the breakthrough of Venus and Serena.

Read what? :confused: Most of the players you named never said anything about the Williams sisters being "bad" for tennis. Lindsay, for example, made a few comments a dozen years ago that she openly apologized for, and they were more personal and had nothing to do with how they "win all the time" or are "bad for tennis."

My point is, Serena and Venus have had some bad things said about them, but a lot of it was brought upon themselves (with insults in interviews, being mean to other players, etc). The negative mentality surrounding them comes from a simple fact that MANY people in this thred have stated: the Williams sisters don't care what other people think-- and I respect them for this, but how can they expect respect if they don't give it?

Even with this Navratilova thing-- saying regular fans might get bored by seeing Williams v. Williams all the time isn't an insult to the Williams sisters. If anything, it's a compliment- it's like saying "stop winning so much, you're both too good." Instead, it gets taken personally by all of their fans and blown out of proportion by the media :rolleyes:

And to answer your question, if I or a member of my family acted the way Serena and Venus used to act (and still do, sometimes) I wouldn't expect respect. I would have an us vs. them mentality, but I would understand that more of the blame should go on "us" rather than "them."

tennisbum79
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Yea.. and it was the press misconstruing things. There was no such pact :rolleyes:
Now you are blaming the messenger?

Even Davenport could not bring herslef to do that. Maube she can hire you as a PR rep.

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM

But the premise is entirely false to begin with so there was no point in answering a baseless question

Exactly.

edificio
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
First, Nav didnt say they were bad for tennis.

Secondly, it's not hte same as not having a fave. Have you seen the crowd during a WS final? Usually they're dead b/c it's incredibly hard to root for one or the other. The tension is incredible and I'm sure it's an uncomfortable feeling. Combine that with the fact that their finals are usually subpar quality and I understand what Navratilova is saying.

If you're a WS fan it's different b/c you don't really care who wins.. you win either way. For non-fans of the WS, it's an incredible bore.

First, I don't really agree that V/S finals are subpar. That is a myth. Second, I do not understand why it should be difficult to root for one or the other. Just pick one! Third, the crowd's uncomfortable feelings? I really haven't noticed that. Also, I'm not sure it matters. Okay, so Nav did not say they were bad for tennis. However, that whole conversation sounds like b.s. Is there some reason people can't just enjoy the matches? Is there some reason commentators have to keep up such negative blather? Same for tennis fanatics. I'm watching Olivier vs Novak right now, not a fan of either. I'm enjoying it. Go figure!

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:23 PM

Who cares if Davenport and Hingis had a pact?? :confused: It's not like they said- Hey, likes shove a ball down Serena's f-ing throat. Wait, who said that, I can't seem to remember......

Anyway, Serena and Venus kept making grand slam finals, and Davenport and Hingis were the other top players in the world.. If they weren't trying to stop the Williams sisters, what the hell else would they be on the court for?? They said out loud what everyone was thinking.. it's not like they had a pact to murder one of the sisters so they'd stop making finals :rolleyes:

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Martina is happy when Serena makes the final, because but for Serena, Venus would already be set to tie her record. So me thinks, she cares too much. :lol::lol:

Yorker
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM
First, I don't really agree that V/S finals are subpar. That is a myth. Second, I do not understand why it should be difficult to root for one or the other. Just pick one! Third, the crowd's uncomfortable feelings? I really haven't noticed that. Also, I'm not sure it matters. Okay, so Nav did not say they were bad for tennis. However, that whole conversation sounds like b.s. Is there some reason people can't just enjoy the matches? Is there some reason commentators have to keep up such negative blather? Same for tennis fanatics. I'm watching Olivier vs Novak right now, not a fan of either. I'm enjoying it. Go figure!

I think one of the biggest parts is that venus and Serena aren't really their normal comptetive selves when playing each other, especially in a final. How does a neutral fan get into the match with intesity if the players themselves aren't really into it. I mean, idc about all this hooplah about them being bad for tennis, nor do I mind them playing in a final against eachother, but you can see they don't want to get into it. Their matches don't have that same intenstiy as say a serena-justine match would have and that makes it hard for the fan to get into it, If they weren't sisters I think you'd see that competitive edge come out more in them. Just in a GS final you want to see the intensity, and I don't think serena-venus matches have really ever brought that at the final stage. It's usually pretty subdued which in turn makes a good match look subpar.

vwfan
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM
First, I don't really agree that V/S finals are subpar. That is a myth. Second, I do not understand why it should be difficult to root for one or the other. Just pick one! Third, the crowd's uncomfortable feelings? I really haven't noticed that. Also, I'm not sure it matters. Okay, so Nav did not say they were bad for tennis. However, that whole conversation sounds like b.s. Is there some reason people can't just enjoy the matches? Is there some reason commentators have to keep up such negative blather? Same for tennis fanatics. I'm watching Olivier vs Novak right now, not a fan of either. I'm enjoying it. Go figure!Exactly. Just dribble. You can enjoy tennis even if you aren't invested in the outcome. Loved Momo v. JuJu final, for example, though didn't particularly like either.

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
I think one of the biggest parts is that venus and Serena aren't really their normal comptetive selves when playing each other, especially in a final. How does a neutral fan get into the match with intesity if the players themselves aren't really into it. I mean, idc about all this hooplah about them being bad for tennis, nor do I mind them playing in a final against eachother, but you can see they don't want to get into it. Their matches don't have that same intenstiy as say a serena-justine match would have and that makes it hard for the fan to get into it, If they weren't sisters I think you'd see that competitive edge come out more in them. Just in a GS final you want to see the intensity, and I don't think serena-venus matches have really ever brought that at the final stage. It's usually pretty subdued which in turn makes a good match look subpar.

Plus only 2 finals went three sets, out of 8.

So, you have two players who are both American, both from the same family, both big hitters.. And from 2002-2003 they made 5 grand slam finals against each other and only 2 went three sets (one being 6-2 in the 3rd). Of course that's going to be boring if you aren't a fan of either one :shrug: And for general tennis fans, it's not particularly good tennis to watch two big bashers hit the hell out of the ball and play only 2 sets.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
I guess it's a bore for some people..because it's Serena who wins most of the time. Soooooooo weak.

And those same posters were all hossanah for the all-Belgian finals? They aren't even sisters, so what was their excuse?

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
aahhh...so now they're big bashers. Has anybody seen Juju play lately?

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM

Glad you're enjoying it :yeah:

It's also a tight five set match, and this is one time. If you had to watch this match 5 times in 8 tournaments, all of them going Djokovic's way, only 2 of them going the distance, would you enjoy it so much?

edificio
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM

It's also a tight five set match, and this is one time. If you had to watch this match 5 times in 8 tournaments, all of them going Djokovic's way, only 2 of them going the distance, would you enjoy it so much?

Your remark just says to me that you don't like Venus or Serena at base. That's okay.There are plenty of players to like and dislike. Might as well just own up to it.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM

:haha: :rolls: So you really think that Rochus is gonna beat Novak more than once or twice in a series of 10 matches?

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Your remark just says to me that you don't like Venus or Serena at base. That's okay.There are plenty of players to like and dislike. Might as well just own up to it.

:haha: :rolls: So you really think that Rochus is gonna beat Novak more than once or twice in a series of 10 matches?

No? :confused: I'm relating it tot he Djokovic match, showing that his comment had absolutely no basis. There's enjoying tennis, like a good match such as this, then there's having to watch the same players play repeatedly on the biggest stage in tennis. I don't care what two players they are (Serena/Venus or Rochus/Djokovic)-- if I'm not a fan of either, I'm going to get bored with it.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:49 PM

No? :confused: I'm relating it tot he Djokovic match, showing that his comment had absolutely no basis. There's enjoying tennis, like a good match such as this, then there's having to watch the same players play repeatedly on the biggest stage in tennis. I don't care what two players they are (Serena/Venus or Rochus/Djokovic)-- if I'm not a fan of either, I'm going to get bored with it.

For real huh? So those Kim vs Juju finals were boring to you too, huh?

Yorker
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM
Plus only 2 finals went three sets, out of 8.

So, you have two players who are both American, both from the same family, both big hitters.. And from 2002-2003 they made 5 grand slam finals against each other and only 2 went three sets (one being 6-2 in the 3rd). Of course that's going to be boring if you aren't a fan of either one :shrug: And for general tennis fans, it's not particularly good tennis to watch two big bashers hit the hell out of the ball and play only 2 sets.

The bashing doesn't bug me, almost every WTA final these days is like that, it's just i'm the type of sports person thatc likes to see trash talking, intensity, all those good things and them being sisters takes away all the emotion. This is understandable by the way, I would probably be subdued as well if I was playing a sibling.

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM

So that's your answer.:o :lol:

twight6
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
For real huh? So those Kim vs Juju finals were boring to you too, huh?

Absolutely. Even more boring. They were what, 4 grand slams in a row? All Justine's way?

I'm sure Navratilova thought the same things of these finals, but didn't necessarily voice it simply because the media didn't encourage her to :shrug:. Well, that, and we all know she's a little arrogant :p

Also, at least watching Serena/Venus I knew it was two of the best players of all time (or at least of my generation), and that tehy deserved to be in the finals (especially beating Davenport- my favorite- for example), whereas Justine and Kim excelled in a less talented era. So, I would say in that aspect Serena/Venus were more interesting as well.

Which, all of this is coming from me-- a more than casual tennis fan. Not sure how non-fans who just tuned in would feel :shrug:

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
Absolutely. Even more boring. They were what, 4 grand slams in a row? All Justine's way?

I'm sure Navratilova thought the same things of these finals, but didn't necessarily voice it simply because the media didn't encourage her to :shrug:. Well, that, and we all know she's a little arrogant :p

Also, at least watching Serena/Venus I knew it was two of the best players of all time (or at least of my generation), and that tehy deserved to be in the finals (especially beating Davenport- my favorite- for example), whereas Justine and Kim excelled in a less talented era. So, I would say in that aspect Serena/Venus were more interesting as well.

Which, all of this is coming from me-- a more than casual tennis fan. Not sure how non-fans who just tuned in would feel :shrug:

Good..ok, can live with this.

StephenUK
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM

That's complete bullshit though. As I have already said, both are pretty good friends with Wozniacki, they're always friendly at the net with people with especially Serena often having minute-long conversations with people at the net. Venus is just a quiet person in general and yet people want to turn it around and say that they are rude. Most of the older players were just jealous of the fact that the WS were getting far more attention than them before they had even done anything. But a lot of the old peers have matured and their new ones are more respectful so there are many more healthy relationships.

I just said 'not that popular' - I think we can say the same for Sharapova or Henin. But it is clear from all the press that the players' favourite amongst the biggest stars is...Kim Clijsters, who is universally praised for her character. You can tell who the most popular players are because they are the ones who win the Karen Krantzke Sportsmanship Award - Kim is the only one of the top players who has won this. Re the others, Sveta is also well-liked, as is Fran Schiavone, because they are extroverts and friendly in the locker room. Venus may just be quiet and not rude, but whatever the case, like most introverts, she is never going to have as many friends in life if she doesn't talk to people and hides behind her family at the age of nearly 30! It seems like the Williams fans want it both ways, protesting that their players are not unpopular one minute and then saying, they don't care what other people think on the other. Make up your mind, folks!

Re the Williams finals, there have been some decent ones, but as Martina said, the main reason they don't work is that most of their fans support both sisters and are neutral in the match; also they have often reserved their worst, most error-strewn performances for the all-sisters matches. The fact is that when Laura Robson reached the girls final, it totally upstaged the all-Williams final both in terms of press and BBC TV viewer interest, a shocker for a senior women's final at Wimbledon.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
I just said 'not that popular' - I think we can say the same for Sharapova or Henin. But it is clear from all the press that the players' favourite amongst the biggest stars is...Kim Clijsters, who is universally praised for her character. You can tell who the most popular players are because they are the ones who win the Karen Krantzke Sportsmanship Award - Kim is the only one of the top players who has won this. Re the others, Sveta is also well-liked, as is Fran Schiavone, because they are extroverts and friendly in the locker room. Venus may just be quiet and not rude, but whatever the case, like most introverts, she is never going to have as many friends in life if she doesn't talk to people and hides behind her family at the age of nearly 30! It seems like the Williams fans want it both ways, protesting that their players are not unpopular one minute and then saying, they don't care what other people think on the other. Make up your mind, folks!

Re the Williams finals, there have been some decent ones, but as Martina said, the main reason they don't work is that most of their fans support both sisters and are neutral in the match; also they have often reserved their worst, most error-strewn performances for the all-sisters matches. The fact is that when Laura Robson reached the girls final, it totally upstaged the all-Williams final both in terms of press and BBC TV viewer interest, a shocker for a senior women's final at Wimbledon.

Wow...surprising..the biggest British hope in years got lots of viewers, really?

winone23
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:39 PM

Laura Robson's final upstaging the Williams sisters final in Britain is totally understandable, she is an up and coming British player and Britain is desperate for a Brit to win Wimbledon so you bet they were watching one if their hopes to end the Wimbledon drought.

Venus has friends and she has accomplished many things without "hiding" behind her family. Venus is coming out with a book this month where she interviewed famous and successful people and guess what she didn't hide behind Serena to write her book. If Venus feels she doesn't need to befriend every person she meets that's her prerogative.

mykarma
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Would you rather see a final like say when Serena beat Maria's ass like a drum. Yeah I bet you found that one exciting and the intensity was mind boggling. Or perhaps an exciting Kim and Justine final, yeah their matches have me jumping out of my seat with excitement. :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Laura Robson's final upstaging the Williams sisters final in Britain is totally understandable, she is an up and coming British player and Britain is desperate for a Brit to win Wimbledon so you bet they were watching one if their hopes to end the Wimbledon drought.

Venus has friends and she has accomplished many things without "hiding" behind her family. Venus is coming out with a book this month where she interviewed famous and successful people and guess what she didn't hide behind Serena to write her book. If Venus feels she doesn't need to befriend every person she meets that's her prerogative.

This!! How dumb it this poster?:help: :lol:

Rome
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
Now as I was watching the Mary Carrillo Commentary in the Venus match. I could not help but notice she always tries to play coach when working a Venus match or Serena which is hurts as a tennis fan. She is the one that tries to give coach tips on how to beat Venus/Serena I mean I never hear her say in order to beat Justine,Kim,Maria Jankovic or any other top player you should do XOXOX.
People Seem to turn a blind eye to this for what ever reason.

mykarma
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
This!! How dumb it this poster?:help: :lol:
:spit:

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM

thank you :worship:

sipnsurfMurph
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:32 AM
They're 1 & 2 playing at a slam they've dominated.

If there are players not "out to get them" those players might as well go home now.

Harvs
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:37 AM
agreed. but its the same for kim, justine, maria etc. players play their best against the top players. just like venus and serena step up their game when they play better players.

mykarma
Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:40 AM
Exactly.

The bashing doesn't bug me, almost every WTA final these days is like that, it's just i'm the type of sports person thatc likes to see trash talking, intensity, all those good things and them being sisters takes away all the emotion. This is understandable by the way, I would probably be subdued as well if I was playing a sibling.
I also like trash talking but it isn't acceptable in tennis. If anyone talks trash they get dogged for days. At least on this board players are suppose to tip toe around, talk about how great their opponent is and how wonderful their game was whether they won or played like crap. honestly, I think the sisters play each other as hard as they do any other competitor facing them. perhaps the only draw back is that they know each others game so well.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Page number, please
:rolleyes: :lol: Just read the book.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM

quotes please!
Aces how the hell long have you been following tennis? You KNOW damn well Momo said that.

tennisbum79
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by AcesHigh http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18016269#post18016269)
When did Davenport or Mauresmo or Justine or Dementieva say that the WS were bad for tennishttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=412534&page=12#)? :haha:

quotes please!
Aces how the hell long have you been following tennis? You KNOW damn well Momo said that.
Of course AcesHigh is aware of the statment.
It is an old debating tactic to create a gotcha moment

S/he just being disingenuous
It is an old debating trick intended to create a gotcha moment and get cheap applause.
Unfortunately, there is no live audience on TB