PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne F: Eastbourne GOAT Makarova def. Azarenka 7-6(5) 6-4

Ferg
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:05 PM
18-2 in Eastbourne now :bowdown:

36-4 in sets :eek: Truly Eastbourne GOAT. Fitting place for her 1st title.

Vika :hug: Sumyk's advice about her injury seemed a bit strange considering Wimbledon is so close....

Caralenko
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Didn't drop a set even through qualies! :speakles: Played pretty spectacularly this week, despite that 5-2 30-0 choke in the first set.

Unbelievable that she hadn't passed a second round all year. Poor Vika though, she really hobbled around at the end :sad:

Bronx19
Good. The real fighter won. Maka showed heart today, her opponent crumbled under the pressure.

CrossCourt~Rally
Well done Makarova :yeah:

Vika :hug: Hopefully her knee will be ok for Wimby :)

cellophane
Love all these surprise winners lately

Well done Makarova :D

Vika :hug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Expected.:worship:
Well done Makarova.:yeah:
One of the few qualifiers who went on to win a tour event?

Vika :shrug: The knee problem still?:shrug: :hug: Good luck in Wimbledon.

Rafito.
Hope those knee's heal up for Wimbledon :sobbing: Sumyk is so stupid to make her keep playing.

Pops Maellard
It's so funny how Vika doesn't play for ages and still shows up to tournaments injured. :weirdo:

Lucic will have a victory at SEW19 I think. :cheer:

TheBoiledEgg
well done Katya ;) :)
1st title :) :D

poor Vika :bigcry: :sad: looked so much in pain :sad:
doesnt look good for Wimbledon

Sammy Stones
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM
congrats. coming from qualifying :bowdown:

M.P
Vika :hug finally 1 more tournament you can rest your knee
Congra kata 1st title~

Ellery
omg :hearts:

Katya :rocker: Amaze.

Andreas
I am not too happy about this result. Please be ready for Wimbledon, Vika!

Josh.
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Ekat :yeah: I think you have gained a new fan.

poulao
Poor Vika :hug:

Huntress55
Well done Makarova :)

Vika :sad::hug: hope all is okay for Wimbledon.

-NAJ-
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8642/image06191507tv32.jpg

Ferg
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Sumyk :weirdo: Makarova :weirdo: Umpire :weirdo:

Vika classy at the net, could not be said about Makarova during the match. She made a new version of the hand :o Vika just couldn't break. She had chances in 6 or 7 different games. Only 2 chances for Makarova, took both.

Tennis is about taking chances, but Vika got robbed.

I'm bitter, yes :lol: Hopefully Vika is fine for Wimbledon, her knee looked really bad.

Makarova said: Maybe I was a bit lucky. Yes you were :bigwave:

You talking about the time she reached over the net to hit the ball after it already bounced on her side which is completely legal?? Yes you do sound very bitter.

cellophane

Vika classy at the net, could not be said about Makarova during the match. She made a new version of the hand :o Vika just couldn't break. She had chances in 6 or 7 different games. Only 2 chances for Makarova, took both.

What are you talking about?

goldenlox
Makarova was ranked 100. She had trouble winning a match before this week.
A mess at Fed Cup
But she has a big serve and great angles on her groundies, and good volley.
She is a future top 10 player

KimandJu
Great play from Makarova. She had an incredible run. :dance:

Although I'm not particularly a fan of Azarenka, I do hope she gets well for Wimbledon. She looked really in pain. Poor girl. :hug:

Ferg

He thinks she broke the rules but she didnt.

Andreas
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM

She swung her racquet over the net on a break point. Vika should have won that point and the game. Obviously Makarova didn't say anything.

Can you let me speak for myself?

cellophane
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:10 PM

At the net? She didn't break any rules...

Jane Lane
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Makarova really deserved it; played well all week :)
Vika :hug: Wimbly in 2 days; rest up! Probably was told she couldn't make the injury worse by playing so she did.

Ferg

Exactly. :shrug: I dont get the fuss. They need a target for frustation I suppose.

igralec33
Really great week for Makarova!!! :worship:
Shame she didn't have luck with Wimbledon draw. :( But maybe she can upset Venus in second round. She will be real test for older Williams sister. ;)
Come on, Ekaterina. Really like this cute and friendly girl. :D

Bronx19
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:12 PM

I'm bitter, yes :lol: Hopefully Vika is fine for Wimbledon, her knee looked really bad.

Lucky.. :lol:

I reckon that seagull showed more brains than Vika today.

Oh and what do we have here, Vika congratulating Makas coach. Nice.

Jajaloo
Bad luck Vika. She has a real shot to make the SFs at Wimbledon. Rest those knees up!

Rafito.

:help:

TheBoiledEgg
at least Vika gets a Tues start, why couldnt she get an easier starter, got a horrid 1r

Ferg
Can you let me speak for myself?

Well if you're going to make things up I really must step in.

Drine
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Congrats to Makarova, she's had an amazing run this week :yeah:
Poor Vika, she could barely move in the end. I'm worried for her knee :help: Will she be fit enough for Wimby :scared: I doubt it :sad:

~MashyOwnThemAll
:haha:

Well done Makarova!

cellophane
:help:

The commentators said she didn't break any rules? Anyways...it's the umpire's job... why do people always blame the players :weirdo:

Caralenko
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
She swung her racquet over the net on a break point. Vika should have won that point and the game. Obviously Makarova didn't say anything.

It's perfectly allowable if the ball has bounced on your side, which it had.

Josh.
A mess at Fed Cup

Top 10? Ah, no.

KimandJu

When the ball bounces on your side of the court and it bounces back towards your opponents side of the court (as was the case here) then you can swing your racket over the net. As long as you don't touch the net.

Tennis rules. Makarova did'nt do anything wrong here...

Andreas
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Lucky.. :lol:

I reckon that seagull showed more brains than Vika today.

Oh and what do we have here, Vika congratulating Makas coach. Nice.

I'm not talking about that, but yea, another point robbed from Vika there :)

So, tell me. How much money did you win this time?

cellophane
When the ball bounces on your side of the court and it bounces back towards your opponents side of the court (as was the case here) then you can swing your racket over the net. As long as you don't touch the net.

Tennis rules. Makarova did'nt do anything wrong here...

Yep, exactly what they said. The ball bounced on her side, so no rules were broken :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
It's perfectly allowable if the ball has bounced on your side, which it had.

Katya could have even hit the ball into the net on Vika's side and won pt that way too.

Renalicious
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM

:weirdo:.

Ferg
Fuss over nothing, nobody even wants to admit they were wrong.

heart
bad luck vika:hugs:
have some rest now, you have a good draw at wimby!:p
dont waste your luck there!

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Top 10? Ah, no.
:lol:

Makarova played great in this tournament from start to finish. 5 Top20 wins, well done. :worship:

Nicolas
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
A mess at Fed Cup

:lol: I heard same comments about Lapushchenkova a few months ago

allrounder
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Congrats to Makarova on her title, what a week for her :worship::yeah:

Vika :sad: a great week for her too with some good wins and great performances :drool: I hope the injury is not too serious but it's hard to imagine a knee problem healing quickly enough to play at Wimbledon and make any kind of impact :sobbing:

saul1333
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

So unlucky she got hurt or she could have had good chances at Wimbledon. :bigcry: but good week making the final ;)

fouc
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Couldn't watch the match due to one reason: after each point Azarenka LOST she acted like she was deadly injured, totally crippled, and the only reason her opponent won is that she is barely moving, in fact she let Makarova hit winner cause she didn't want to risk too much. Disgusting.

VIKA?
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Andreas, you shouldn't care about those jerks:o

Vika:hug:

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
If Vika was badly injured she would have stopped, imo. They know her draw is good next week.

I think the tiebreak determined the match, just like Kim-Vika.

Katya played qualies, she was gassed

Ferg
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Yeah, we're so nasty for knowing and sticking up for the rules :haha:

Pops Maellard
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM

Check your bad reps. :yawn:

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
:lol: I heard same comments about Lapushchenkova a few months agoNot from me. First thing I look at is serve, and Makarova has a very good one.
Very few Dementieva's. People dont understand how difficult it is to be elite without a good serve.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Azarenka :haha: She will never learn. Playing injured just days before Wimbledon :cuckoo:
Oh and that annoying fistpumps after Makarova's errors :yawn:

Good for the Russian though. Truly deserved win and a great tournament :D

Andreas
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Okay, I'm sorry. I was wrong :wavey: I think I need some time to digest this match :lol::sobbing:

Azarenka :haha: She will never learn. Playing injured just days before Wimbledon :cuckoo:
Oh and that annoying fistpumps after Makarova's errors :yawn:

Good for the Russian though. Truly deserved win and a great tournament :D

:o Not vocal or anything. I know many of your faves who are far worse. And Makarova fistpumped on a net cord. I suppose you find that annoying as well?

VIKA?
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Check your bad reps. :yawn:

:hug:

Beat
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
the day makarova got double bagelled by kudryavtseva seem far, far away :lol:

what a run for her, just stunning :yeah:

GreenGrass
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
congrats Ekat, amazing win :yeah:

Uranus
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Amazing, considering how strong the field was. Clearly one of the best 'Tier IIs' in recent memory.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Oh Victoria. Why can't you just retire when you're hurt. :sobbing: I can't stand how she finds her form again only to get hurt... again.

Kudos to Makarova for a great tournament.

gmak
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Vika :sad: :( :hug:
she did really well given the circumstances, and could've done much more with a better than 1/11 bp conversion :shrug:

at least, she has a Tues start
she has a great chance to go deep next week, hopefully the knee holds up :scared:

fouc
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Not from me. First thing I look at is serve, and Makarova has a very good one.
Very few Dementieva's. People dont understand how difficult it is to be elite without a good serve.

Quite a thoughtless strategy, cause you don't need to have a huge serve to get to top 20 of WTA, and there are plenty of huge servers (ex. Sprem) who can't make it to top100

Blu€
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Maka :clap2::clap2: outstanding week!
Good luck in Wimbledon :D;)

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Makarova drew Venus in round 2, so I dont expect a big Wimbledon. But she has the game to win matches on hardcourt this summer

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20100619/25/d6af263d9c190ff62c765e1645c7ae1f.jpg

Natash.
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Katya :worship: Deserving winner.

Classy behavior. Love watching her play. :angel:

Joe.
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Vika.:hug: So proud of you for finishing the match; you really showed class. Please recover for Wimbledon.:sad::hug:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM
No one mentioned this knee yesterday when she hit over 40 winners. Azarenka just doesn't have a game to impose when someone is playing well.

Good job Makarova.

Joe.
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
But WD Makarova, shes got a really impressive grasscourt game. :yeah:

Joe.
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
No one mentioned this knee yesterday when she hit over 40 winners. Azarenka just doesn't have a game to impose when someone is playing well.

Good job Makarova.

Are you serious? You obviously didn't watch the match today. Vika had obviously hurt her knee during practice and couldn't even push off. :rolleyes:

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Congrats Makarova! :yeah: Deserved to win, played great.

Vika. :sad: Still a great tournament and good preparation for Wimbledon, now if only her knees would hold up. :sobbing:

cellophane
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Eastbourne has much better courts/atmopshere than Rosmalen (:help:) but why the hell don't they have hawkeye...

Roookie
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
another random result but I love this one :hearts:...thanks Makarova!

Derek.
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Azarenka just doesn't have a game to impose when someone is playing well.

:unsure: :spit:

Vikapower
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Good job Makarova.
Just Lol. Watching a match before commenting at times does help in not ridiculising oneself. :kiss: Good luck for the future.

spiceboy
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:35 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs326.ash1/28456_455656811101_26081741101_5975198_831195_n.jp g (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5936676&id=26081741101)

Couldn't they just cover that ghetto wall or something? :lol:

iPatty
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Azarenka fans are too much. :lol:

rucolo
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Vika injured.:sad::hug:

Congrats, Ekaterina.:eek::)

Now send Venus home.

cn ireland
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Congrats to Makarova on winning her 1st title and as a qualifier too!!

Fair play to Azarenka for finishing the match cos it was obvious that she was in considerable pain!

Slutati
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Lucic will beat her in Wimbledon.

Leo_DFP
Didn't drop a set even through qualies! :speakles: Played pretty spectacularly this week, despite that 5-2 30-0 choke in the first set.

She didn't choke. Actually, Vika fought surprisingly and impressively well when down 2*-5, 0-30, and 3-5*, 30-15. I was impressed by Vika's effort the whole day. It looked at first like she might reitre early on, even after the first few games of the match, but she stuck it out and gave the crowd an entire match, and her opponent a complete win.

It was actually Vika who slipped mentally when she had the break points at 5-5. She just overplayed and went for shots that were too big when she had the opportunities. :( But overall her play from 2-5 until the end of the set was very strong and smart tactically, so it bodes well for her going into Wimbledon as long as she can rest her knees. I hope she can make the quarters against Sam and maybe the semis against Serena, but I think a lot of it will depend on her body.

Congrats to Makarova. Her game is very well-suited to grass. Perfect lefty serve, and she got her first serves in today when she needed them. :worship: Isn't she near Venus in the draw at W? That could be a tough match for the Wimbledon Queen. If they play, Venus will have to be sharp from the get-go, and not let Makarova stand close to the baseline and move the ball around the court. That's what she did so well today: absorbing the power of Azarenka and redirecting it at will, often creating beautiful angles.

Shvedbarilescu
Extremely good news. I am very pleased with this result.

Well done Katya. Amazing week and very deserved title. :yeah:

I hope Mirjana is able to take advantage of any physical problems Azarenka is still having on Tuesday. :)

Leo_DFP
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Lucic will beat her in Wimbledon.

Oh yes, I forgot about this match. Azarenka could be in trouble right away on Tuesday.

BluSthil
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I like Azarenka's game, but I believe she's too much of a "drama queen" ! If she is hurting, then she should stop playing, recuperate, heal completely, and come back strong. Otherwise, play, win or lose, and move on...

Sabinator.
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I have no words...

THE NEW EASTBOURNE GRASS-GOAT EKATERINA MAKAROVA!!!! :worship:

HowardH
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
It's possible that Vika will follow this up with a deep Wimbledon run. But all the times Vika has played on when hurting, etc, make me believe she does not understand how to manage her career and her body. People blame her coach for making her play on- well, she is the one who chooses in the end. She has free will and is pretty much grown up now, so should be able to make her own decisions. This could come back to bite her in time. A lot of the current WTA players don't seem to be looking after their own bodies well enough.

I didn't see what happened at the net point, but from what I hear the ball bounced on Ekaterina's side, spun back over the net, and then of course Ekaterina is allowed to reach over (and even allowed to hit the ball directly into the net to get the point as was pointed out earlier in the thread, so long as she doesn't touch the net). So she definitely didn't cheat. I don't think of Ekaterina as a cheater anyway. This is one of the rules that I always make sure kids know when I tell them about the rule that you need to wait until it has come onto your side. But I guess it's the kind of rule you only know about if you're a serious player yourself or are involved in teaching the game. I did think it was more well known than it seems though.

Of course Vika's injury must have played a big role, and even then the match was very tight and looking at the stats, could have easily gone either way, except that Makarova won a lot of big points, break points etc. Clearly Makarova can play on quick grass, she serves well and hits nice flat shots. But nevertheless I doubt she will be able to stop Venus, who has more power than Vika and moves a lot better than Vika moved today.

I still think it was silly to keep playing this tournament at all with her knees seemingly at far less than 100%, just a few days before Wimbledon. Getting to the final of a warmup doesn't mean much if you aren't fit enough for the main event. Time will tell if she can get away with such a risky gamble.

Elwin.
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Makarova winning a premier event :spit:

RenaSlam.
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Makarova has always been a GOAT. You've all just overlooked her.

AnDrEi.b
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
No comment

delicatecutter
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I DVRd this and just finished watching.

Poor Vika has more injuries than Caro. I'm concerned for her going into Wimbledon. Obviously all the week's play had just worn her body out.

GRASS GOAT KATYA! :bowdown: Such a great tournament for her and yet another unpredictable WTA winner. This is why I love the WTA.

Vika thanking Katya's coach. :lol:

P_Fer
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wow, great tournament Makarova! Congrats :)

Vika :hug:

Larrybidd
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Vika.:hug: So proud of you for finishing the match; you really showed class. Please recover for Wimbledon.:sad::hug:

I too was glad to see Vika's coach encourage her to tough it out for the sake of the fans. Mostly it was great that the viewers got to know that fans are even in the players consideration in such matters. On the other hand, I'm not so sure it was the smartest thing to do.

For myself, I don't particularly like seeing injured players play, so a retirement would have been fine with me. But I'm not one of those so-called fans that like to second-guess player injuries. Other folks have different feelings.

Richie's
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:21 PM
This is a great win! Maybe 2nd best of last years.

We had the Clay Warsaw Goat and just found Grass Eastbourne Goat.

Makarova, well done!

Olórin
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well I was there today and I've got to say while Azarenka definitely wasn't 100% she didn't seem altogether injured, she was moving gingerly and it seemed precautionary to avoid aggravating a major injury to me...rather than that she was in serious pain.

She didn't move when she didn't want to towards the end of the match so I certainly wouldn't say any harm was done. Victoria definitely had the fans in mind and she really contributed her part to what was an entertaining and relatively high quality two hour WTA Final - nicely capping off what is always without fail, one of the best Tier Twos of the year. :)

Makarova played really well I thought - not sure she is top ten or elite player material, but it's great to see such depth in the WTA where the world #100 can play such tennis. She should only go up really.

Monzanator
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
One bridge too far for Azarenka. Her knees couldn't hold up anymore. Wonder how that affects Wimbledon?

Serenita
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Vika :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Welldone Mak:)

spiritedenergy
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Couldn't watch the match due to one reason: after each point Azarenka LOST she acted like she was deadly injured, totally crippled, and the only reason her opponent won is that she is barely moving, in fact she let Makarova hit winner cause she didn't want to risk too much. Disgusting.

she always does that, so bratty and childish... i guess she still need to grow out of childhood:o

LightWarrior
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Something tells me that Vika is a bit injured. Her knees must hurt. Even the way she was walking on the court was weird.

Leo_DFP
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:12 PM
she always does that, so bratty and childish... i guess she still need to grow out of childhood:o

She was doing that after points she won too. Really this argument is shit. Azarenka was in pain but kudos to her for sticking the match out and fighting until the end, and at least giving her opponent a clean victory. She's no Marion Bartoli. She doesn't quit every other tournament.

edificio
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Something tells me that Vika is a bit injured. Her knees must hurt. Even the way she was walking on the court was weird.

I agree. It was odd. She's definitely got some issue, but in a post-match interview she said wasn't a big deal but she didn't want to share what it is.

However, Makarova played quite well. So congrats to her.

Shepster
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Respect Vika for finishing the match and giving the crowd a match (rather than a contest) but a huge :o when she just couldn't be arsed to grunt any more in the second set and dropped the soprano act. Most watchable I've ever seen her. Very happy for Katya :yeah:

danra
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Having froze my arse off watching from the (wrong) stand, some thoughts:
- After the first set tie-break, no way was Vika going to play 2 more sets, depsite a period when Makarova seemed determined to give it away. Luckily she pulled it back.
- The crowd really didn't like Vika, obviously down to the shriek and bratty diva ways on-court. BUT...when she gave a really quite charming and funny speech post-match, won a lot of people round. If she could grow up on court, it really would do her untold favours.
- Makarova was warming down on the practice courts, and was happily having her photo taken with a excitable group of drunk lesbians. She's def a crowd favourite - with all factions.

EastbourneAgain
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Well I was there today and I've got to say while Azarenka definitely wasn't 100% she didn't seem altogether injured, she was moving gingerly and it seemed precautionary to avoid aggravating a major injury to me...rather than that she was in serious pain.

She didn't move when she didn't want to towards the end of the match so I certainly wouldn't say any harm was done. Victoria definitely had the fans in mind and she really contributed her part to what was an entertaining and relatively high quality two hour WTA Final - nicely capping off what is always without fail, one of the best Tier Twos of the year. :)

Makarova played really well I thought - not sure she is top ten or elite player material, but it's great to see such depth in the WTA where the world #100 can play such tennis. She should only go up really.

Azarenka did have a small problem with her knees but nothing too serious. She could still move when she wanted to, but still was very careful not to damage her knees any more considering Wimbledon is just around the corner. I for one was very grateful for her effort yesterday, many other players would have retired after that first set but she showed a great amount of maturity to go on, albeit a little melodramatically. ;)

What a great tournament for Ekaterina! Beating 5 TOP 20 players, all of which have at one time been ranked inside the TOP 10. She's always played very well here at Eastbourne and loves the tournament very much. She excels on grass and it's a shame she has such a bad draw in Wimbledon or else she is capable of making a fairly deep run. Congratulations on her first title, fitting that it comes at Eastbourne. :)

One of the most exciting and well run tournaments of the year so far, in my opinion.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Azarenka is either dumb playing unjured right before a slam or just a faker - don't know which is worse though. This match is another proof that her "ballbashing" (whether she deliberately choose such tactics or was forced to do so because of injury) doesn't cut it against a decently playing opponent.
The match itself left rather weird impression, it was tight and not filled with UEs, yet the whole show was mightly uninspiring. I blame Makarova - her game is so boring in its vulnerability (which is caused by patchy if not messy footwork) and she's about as creative on the court as Dementieva. What I totally fail to understand is why she doesn't use angles during the rallies, it's unusual and pretty stupid for a lefty.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Azarenka is either dumb playing unjured right before a slam or just a faker - don't know which is worse though. This match is another proof that her "ballbashing" (whether she deliberately choose such tactics or was forced to do so because of injury) doesn't cut it against a decently playing opponent.
The match itself left rather weird impression, it was tight and not filled with UEs, yet the whole show was mightly uninspiring. I blame Makarova - her game is so boring in its vulnerability (which is caused by patchy if not messy footwork) and she's about as creative on the court as Dementieva. What I totally fail to understand is why she doesn't use angles during the rallies, it's unusual and pretty stupid for a lefty.

Still, it's enough for her to win the match.:shrug:

Rafito.
Jun 20th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Everything you post is just fucking shit.

Corswandt
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Losing a (somewhat) tight match to Safina [AO 09] = earning AnnaK_4ever's perpetual scorn.

Get over it, she played well.

Corswandt
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Some of this is about the whole week rather than about just the final.

Azarenka:

- her ROS is astonishingly good (I'm talking prime Dementieva good); she returns literally everything, and almost always deep enough to begin the ensuing rally from at least a neutral position; too bad nothing else in her game is up at the same level.
- all those DTL FH ROS winners she hit throughout the week but particularly vs Bartoli by stepping forward diagonally to cut the angle show that Sumyk has realized that her excellent anticipation, reflexes and footwork on ROS can also be used aggressively if she works on it hard enough.
- old skool grass makes her 1st serve surprisingly effective, and since her high 1st serve % remains, she can actually close out a number of service games with ease.

Makarova:

- she seems to have bulked up a bit; her serve remains very well placed (she can hit all corners of the service box), but has some more pace in it. Her groundstrokes I'm not so sure; the camera angle and the speed of grass makes it harder to judge, but it's not impossible that they have a wee bit more pace in them as well. She has upgraded herself from that limbo of being neither a defensive grinder nor a basher into being a certified B-list shotmaker - at least for a week.
- evidently doesn't play an old skool grasscourt game, but seems 100% comfortable in it, takes the ball early and hits flat, and her shot selection at the net was usually the correct one - she dealt well with bad bounces, the ball skidding over the grass and other such unusual game situations for the most.

Match:

- Makarova blinked when serving for the set (then again, she wasn't outplaying Azarenka by that big a margin), and played tentatively for the rest of the set, but she never put a foot wrong in the TB, and that decided the match.
- further evidence that even the top tier Generation Suck players are vulnerable to just about any lower ranked opponent who is having a good week, and will probably never stand head and shoulders above the rest of the field like the previous generation's elite players did.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Losing a (somewhat) tight match to Safina [AO 09] = earning AnnaK_4ever's perpetual scorn.

Get over it, she played well.

She played well, I just find her game to be dull and unathletic. And please, I didn't even remember she played Safina till you mentioned it. :p

Corswandt
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
She played well, I just find her game to be dull and unathletic. And please, I didn't even remember she played Safina till you mentioned it. :p

She also lost to Chak, your other bęte noire, soon afterwards (IW IIRC).

They're all on your shitlist - who do you think you're kidding? :p

Bronx19
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I dont understand how she can run around hitting winners, but is on her knees when she misses.

I think she might have a brain injury.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Makarova:

- evidently doesn't play an old skool grasscourt game, but seems 100% comfortable in it, takes the ball early and hits flat, and her shot selection at the net was usually the correct one - she dealt well with bad bounces, the ball skidding over the grass and other such unusual game situations for the most.

I saw the opposite.

She also lost to Chak, your other bęte noire, soon afterwards (IW IIRC).

They're all on your shitlist - who do you think you're kidding? :p

My shitlist is way too big for me to remember everyone on it. But nobodies like Makarova never get there anyway (notable exception is The All-Mighty Dulgheru). :p

Corswandt
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I saw the opposite.

I should have added "When compared to everybody else" - namely say Shanksur.

fouc
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Just watching the replay at ES and polish commentator said that after the 1st set Azarenka and her coach were wondering whether to quit and he told her to play till the end, cuz it's the finals and they owe respect to the audience. :eek: Is it true?

EastbourneAgain
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Just watching the replay at ES and polish commentator said that after the 1st set Azarenka and her coach were wondering whether to quit and he told her to play till the end, cuz it's the finals and they owe respect to the audience. :eek: Is it true?

Yes, it's true.