PDA

View Full Version : Why is Stosur suddenly so negative on court?

tenn_ace
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
She used to be one of the positive players, fighters... This week it was like a new Stosur. Ok, she wasn't playing well, but I have seen her playing worse and she was a lot more positive and overall professional. What changed? Is she suddenly under a lot of pressure to prove something? Was she expecting her opponents to gift her matches after they see a RG finalist next to Stosur name? What gives?

Definitely, NOT attractive.

hardball
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
post-traumatic stress related to the loss against schiavone?

delicatecutter
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cause off clay there is no escaping her shanks?

Caralenko
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
She was positive in every match except the RG Final, and since then she just hasn't been the same :shrug:

Lucemferre
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
If you had lost to schiavone after beating henin, serena jankovic you would be negative too:o:tape:

Jakeev
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
It could also be she forgot to leave the clay-court game back in Paris. Samantha obviously knows how to play grass-court tennis, but she should know she needs to switch gears. No offense at all to Makarova but really, Stosur should have been in the final.

tennisvideos
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I think she is just frustrated esp as her expectations are high now.

But her game is not really suited to grass IMO - she takes too big a swing on her forehand and therefore is more prone to mishits and also hitting it late. Her serve is also not as effective as on clay but it is still a decent weapon. I just think grass may very well be her worst surface.

delicatecutter
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
It could also be she forgot to leave the clay-court game back in Paris. Samantha obviously knows how to play grass-court tennis, but she should know she needs to switch gears. No offense at all to Makarova but really, Stosur should have been in the final.

Which of her past results would indicate that she obviously knows how to play grass-court tennis?

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think she is just frustrated esp as her expectations are high now.

But her game is not really suited to grass IMO - she takes too big a swing on her forehand and therefore is more prone to mishits and also hitting it late. Her serve is also not as effective as on clay but it is still a decent weapon. I just think grass may very well be her worst surface.
What? Her forehand swing isn't big at all. It's the bounce and speed of the court that leads to these mishits, she uses so much wrist in her takeback and he preparation is so late that she gets rushed so much on this surface. But I agree with the rest.

Caralenko
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Which of her past results would indicate that she obviously knows how to play grass-court tennis?

Her two consecutive Ladies Doubles finals, and a Mixed Doubles win at Wimbledon? :confused:

Sp!ffy
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Maybe she wants to commit suicide because she lost to Schiavone and she knew that she might never have another chance to win a GS again :shrug:

OH what am I kidding??? Roland Garros = anyone can win

Jajaloo
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM
OH what who am I kidding??? Roland Garros = anyone can win

All Grand Slams = anyone can win.

Sp!ffy
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
All Grand Slams = anyone can win.
Are you telling me I can win Wimbledon one day? :eek::eek::eek:

delicatecutter
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Her two consecutive Ladies Doubles finals, and a Mixed Doubles win at Wimbledon? :confused:

I meant in singles. Venus/Serena have won RG twice. Jeca has a mixed doubles win at Wimbledon.

Jajaloo
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Are you telling me I can win Wimbledon one day? :eek::eek::eek:

All you need is faith, and Richard Williams.

poulao
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM
She used to be one of the positive players, fighters... This week it was like a new Stosur. Ok, she wasn't playing well, but I have seen her playing worse and she was a lot more positive and overall professional. What changed? Is she suddenly under a lot of pressure to prove something? Was she expecting her opponents to gift her matches after they see a RG finalist next to Stosur name? What gives?

Definitely, NOT attractive.

Ja, she went a bit negative, she is not the IceQueen :lol: Makarova sometimes laughs when she does something good and I think it affected Sam. She started to hesitate and be a bit defensive, something she has to get used to, that the 'lesser' players see her as a 'big scalp'.

Sp!ffy
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
All you need is faith, and Richard Williams.

I think one of those are easy to find, right? :shrug: E-bay? :shrug::confused:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM

that's when she has someone else on the court with her and isn't forced to cover the whole court herself...plus she played "classic" doubles where she and stubbs (?) played the net so her ground game isn't exposed on grass in doubles

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
that's when she has someone else on the court with her and isn't forced to cover the whole court herself...plus she played "classic" doubles where she and stubbs (?) played the net so her ground game isn't exposed on grass in doubles
Exactly. The idea that Stosur has a good netgame because of her doubles is nothing but a myth. Being good at Doubles doesn't automatically mean you have good volleys, hell the second (?) best doubles team of this generation, in singles, were both the textbook definition of baseliners.

Szavay #1
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
imo it's the pressure but sam will come around. :)

Serenus Christ
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:55 AM
cause the australian media thinks Wimbledon is hers for the taking,
because she 'smashed' Serena at the French

lawllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
ikr

doujyr
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
There's so many diametrically opposing opinions about Stosur's game on grass :rolleyes:

Some say the kick serve is deadly, others say the low bounce makes it a liability.

Some say the forehand is suited to grass, others say it isn't.

Some say because of her doubles she should be good at volleying, others that it doesn't mean she is.

So what's the real deal? I'm very confused :lol:

tenn_ace
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Well she needs to realize that negativity will not win her matches. Does she not know Vera Z or Anna C stories,

The Witch-king
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
There's so many diametrically opposing opinions about Stosur's game on grass :rolleyes:

Some say the kick serve is deadly, others say the low bounce makes it a liability.

Some say because of her doubles she should be good at volleying, others that it doesn't mean she is.

don't pay attention to these "experts". Just watch her and make up your own mind. And keep in mind that she may do certain things better or worse on different days. ;)

tennisbum79
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
If you had lost to schiavone after beating henin, serena jankovic you would be negative too:o:tape:
Great players are supposed to put that behind them.
She is behaving as if she was entitled to win because of the players she beat.

Fielding questions at press conference as if she already won can't help her psyche any.
To her, not having won RG is almost like a bad drean, not the reality.

doujyr
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
don't pay attention to these "experts". Just watch her and make up your own mind. And keep in mind that she may do certain things better or worse on different days. ;)

Oh I'll do that as well, but I'm not so stupendously arrogant to think I know enough and to ignore other's opinions.

Sammy Stones
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
pissed off about FO? wants to commit suicide? australia putting pressure on her? typical TF drama

c8eaIsInkQw 1:10

Serena y Monica
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
The hardest part of any sport is handling expectations....That aside u loose ur 1st Grand Slam final to an even bigger scrub than u after having taken out the greatest clay player of her generation, the best player of her generation and a real clay threat...c how at peace u feel.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Suddenly, have you guys just started watching Sam. She has always slammed balls to the back board and into the stands. This is not new people.

sammy01
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
it is frustration, she knows her game just doesn't translate well to grass and she can't play well on it.

timafi
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I bet she is mentally and physically tired from the clay court season;the loss to Fran and the fact that she is playing on her worse surface:shrug:

I would try to 1-2 punch as much as possible and not get into backhand to backhand rallies:shrug:

SymphonyX
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Grass doesn't like top spin.

Conor
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Great expectations.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM

My two cents worth :

The kick serve is always a great serve, irrespective of surface, but it won't bounce as high on grass as clay, so it is not as huge a weapon for her i.e. players can step in and take it early sometimes. The speed and bounce of the ball mean she will have trouble timing her forehand with her extreme grip and wrist action. But if she can set up to hit it, she can easily penetrate the court and it will be a safe shot because of the spin. But she will mishit it more often, catch it late etc. She is a good volleyer but for some reason she does not do it that often in singles, maybe she feels she doesn't need to.

So I think she should do well overall, as long as she doesn;t play a flat hitter with a good serve, like a Williams or Sharapova.

LCS
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Shefinally realised she's 'just a pretty good framer' :spit:

Larrybidd
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
When you are playing great there's nothing to be negative about. When you're playing not-so-great - there is.

The thing is: What exactly are you all meaning by negativity? I saw that Stosur was angry and frustrated with the way she was playing. So what? I'd be more concerned with a player that didn't seem to care if she was playing poorly, and seemed resigned to that fact. A little anger is fine - its like a coach yelling at you to get you to wake up - like self coaching.

I think a lot of people confuse negativity with peoples personality. Serena is well known to wail and scream in frustration at her play during a match. But then, the next points starts and she tries her best again. Its just her way. Venus has a different way. Is Serena's way better? For her, it is. But all players are different. But people, especially tennis commentators make too big a deal about body language, between points. It doesn't have anything necessarily to do with what the body does during the points.

darkchild
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:08 PM

2003 Wimbledon R128 Lindsay Davenport def. Samantha Stosur 7-6(3) 7-5

The Dawntreader
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:25 PM
2003 Wimbledon R128 Lindsay Davenport def. Samantha Stosur 7-6(3) 7-5

I watched that match, first match i ever saw of Stosur.

Her HUGE serving kept her involved for a long stretch in that match against the finest returner on tour. No real oustanding aptitude though then, apart from the serve.

I wouldn't say it highlighted a precocious grass-courter though. She was just trying to bludgeon herself to the finish line.

Mynarco
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:27 PM
She knows she can't make much noise because the clay season is over, and she tries to have bad attitude to grab attention

Jakeev
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:50 PM

LOL thanks for beating me to the answer...:kiss:

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Stosur could potentially make a run at Wimbledon IF the weather is really hot continuously and the courts dry up. I remember last year, towards the end of the second week after days of boiling hot weather, the commentators were saying Centre Court was playing virtually like a hardcourt (watch the Serena-Dementieva highlights - both of them were chaing down shots that even they, two of the quickest players, normally wouldn't be able to get to on grass), which made it more receptive to spin - which would be very beneficial to Stosur, who needs spin/kick for her serve and forehand to fulfill their potential.

B

tennisforadults
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM
She knows she can't make much noise because the clay season is over, and she tries to have bad attitude to grab attention

:lol: You are so full of shit.

Sam's a little more negative on court most likely because it's her LEAST favourite surface and she's not playing as well as she was during the clay season.

But in any press conferences, she's always VERY positive.

edificio
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I haven't noticed her suddenly being negative. But if she is, I could understand a little frustration (which she showed during this week) with her game after RG.

AkademiQ
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Shefinally realised she's 'just a pretty good framer' :spit:

Definitely.

ZODIAC
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:41 AM
she is just not good on grass...just like princess fiona

AnomyBC
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Wouldn't YOU be a little negative right now if YOU were Stosur? I know I would be... :sad: