PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne SF: V. Azarenka def. [6] M. Bartoli 63 75

Andreas
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Great match! And people say Vika has no weapons :happy:

Winners-UES:
Vika: 43-18
Marion: 17-10

8 aces from Vika :hearts: Her serve has definitely improved this week.

Ellery
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Marion :hug:

Huntress55
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yay well done Vika :D Win the the title now!

VIKA?
yes yes yes:inlove:

Vika was just awesome:) win the title!

TheBoiledEgg
so good Vika ;) :woohoo: good to see her looking and playing well again :bounce: :D :)

good luck in final ;)

saul1333
Thank you Vika :hearts:

She played really well..

Katrina Adams is a horrendous commentator :o

poulao
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Good match Vika :hearts:

Ferg
Too good from Vika. 43 winners to 12 UEs or something like that.... Nice exchange at the net.

Marion :hug: Didnt play badly but 0/4 record in Eastbourne semis now :scared:

dsanders06
Very high-quality match. Azarenka is so much better than she's ranked...

Rafito.
:cheer: :woohoo: Served so well today, Went 3 service games without losing a single point.

Take the title Vika!!!

Drine
Well played Vika :cheer: Get the title now :devil:

claypova
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
marion :crying2:

she continues the SF tradition

Six Feet Under
Was a very good match (far from a tank)

Marion you played pretty well today, nothing to be ashamed about :)
Rest up :kiss:

Vika, very well done, aggressive the whole match managed to keep her concentration for almost the whole match. Also some great serving :)

Nice handshake too.

poulao
Vika is back :lol:

Marionated
Really just awful tactics from Marion.

Too passive, not using enough angle.

zhengjie_lina
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
vika is coming back strong.. after being humiliated by dluko...

M.P
Vika :cheer: please win tomorrow

Koon
Scores?

adrovi
Well done Vika :bounce:

Vespertine69
Never been an Azarenaka fan (the grunt is just upsetting) - but I have to say this was a really impressive performance from her. Doubly impressive given her indifferent form for much of the year.

Bartoli didn't actually play too badly, but Viktoria was so dominant and managing to boss things the vast majority of the time. Serve even looked pretty good, which it hasn't the past few times I've seen her. Should be interesting to see what she can do at Wimbledon.

cellophane
43 winners? :eek:

oleada
Vuvuzela :hearts:
Great stats

Bronx19
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Thank god for that. Marion is horrible to watch.

Unfortunately Stosur lost, which means the odds versus Baltacha will be crap.

Beat
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Azarenka is so much better than she's ranked...

no, she's not (cue clay seson). but she played very well today.
OTOH, does she have to make such a drama after every point?

i understand when players talk to themselves, but coaches?? :scared: yes, bartoli's father seems a little bit neurotic ...

Jajaloo
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
:yippee:

Get the title please. Then make the SF at Wimbledon!

allrounder
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Well done Vika, another very impressive performance with some great returning of serve and controlled aggression :drool:

Marion :hug: she fought really well and made it a great match to watch

Derek.
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Wonderful, Vika! :D

So many beautiful winners. :inlove:

dsanders06

I meant she's better than she's ranked in terms of her ability. When she plays her best, shs's EASILY in the best 10 players in the world, bordering on top 5.... and I'm not even a fan.

heart
vika:hearts:
cant wait for the trophy pics:p

-NAJ-
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Vika improved her serve.it's much better.

so many winners today. She was great!!

Temperenka
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I wanted to see this match so badly!!

8 aces, 43 winners!? I hope it gets uploaded soon.

Those serving stats are wonderful for Vika. She usually is lucky to get 1 or 2 aces.

:inlove:

Get the title and rest up, you gun! :bounce:

The Witch-king
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Vuvu :hearts:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Vika :eek: :bolt: :worship:
Cake :dance:

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Amazing stats! :inlove: Get that title! :hearts:

Marion. :hug:

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM

i understand when players talk to themselves, but coaches?? :scared: yes, bartoli's father seems a little bit neurotic ...
She was injured the entire clay season.

rockstar
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
vuvurenka :hearts:

Ferg
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thank god for that. Marion is horrible to watch.

Unfortunately Stosur lost, which means the odds versus Baltacha will be crap.

bettingbettingbettingbetting

Iceland
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Very average stuff from Marion, couldn't produce a very good shot early in the rally compared to Vika.
Vika totally neutralized her. Good luck in the final!

Dave.
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Marion is destined never to reach the final. :sobbing: Still a great win over MJMS to take going into Wimbledon, where she could play her again in 3R.

Anyway, if the Clijsters win wasn't enough, I hope that will be the end of all the BS about Vika being powerless, weaponless and harmless on this surface. It's simply not the case, people need to accept this. Take the title girl! :rocker2:

ce
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
:inlove:
go ZAZA

Delfii
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Vika :hug: Win the final now! :hearts:
7 aces I can't beilive it :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I meant she's better than she's ranked in terms of her ability. When she plays her best, shs's EASILY in the best 10 players in the world, bordering on top 5.... and I'm not even a fan.

Azarenka is definitely not a top 5 player in terms of ability. Let's not get ridiculous especially when Williams x2, Henin, Clijsters are active. Again, she proves to be largely overrated.

Point.

What is peak Azarenka?
Who can peak Azarenka beat?
What will Azarenka achieve in her career?
What is impressive about THIS?

hbLCvFSY1y0&feature=related

No serve, no real pace, no variety. Just consistent hitting which gets her through lower rounds, but does nothing against threats.

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well if you pick a match where she played horrific no wonder she'll look unimpressive. :yawn:
Peak Azarenka can defeat everyone. And we haven't even seen her up till now. Yet she already has around 16 top 10 wins, including some over former #1's.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Marion is destined never to reach the final. :sobbing: Still a great win over MJMS to take going into Wimbledon, where she could play her again in 3R.

Anyway, if the Clijsters win wasn't enough, I hope that will be the end of all the BS about Vika being powerless, weaponless and harmless on this surface. It's simply not the case, people need to accept this. Take the title girl! :rocker2:

Preach it! :bounce:

So proud of Vika this week, probably the best she's play all year! Vamos Vika! :cheer::inlove::bounce:

AnDrEi.b
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Vika was impressive ! :hearts:

Welcome1
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Great match, Vika. Good luck tomorrow!

Joe.
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Fuck yeah Vika!:D

Now take the title. :yeah:

Matt01
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
No serve, no real pace, no variety. Just consistent hitting which gets her through lower rounds, but does nothing against threats.

Have you seen her play this week?

No?

Then go away. Thanks.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Vika :hearts:

Hopefully this will give her confidence for Wimby.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well done! Nice to see her playing well again. Looks like she served far better this week. I always wonder why she doesn't have more pace on her serve, she has a good motion, she's tall and strong. If she can beef that up, she should be a real contender for Slams.

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Azarenka is definitely not a top 5 player in terms of ability. Let's not get ridiculous especially when Williams x2, Henin, Clijsters are active. Again, she proves to be largely overrated.

Point.

What is peak Azarenka?

I would put the Williamses, Belgians, Sharapova and maybe Dementieva ahead of Azarenka. PERHAPS Jankovic is also a touch ahead. But that still leaves Azarenka as a clear #7/8 in my book. Her backhand is really excellent, that shot is REALLY up there with the very best in terms of power and precision. Admittedly her forehand is awful sometimes, but in many matches such as today she hits plenty of winners off it. Her serve isn't as bad as some people on here make out - it's better than Jankovic's and Radwanska's, for example. Plus her movement is underrated, and her she's very competent at the net.

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Well done! Nice to see her playing well again. Looks like she served far better this week. I always wonder why she doesn't have more pace on her serve, she has a good motion, she's tall and strong. If she can beef that up, she should be a real contender for Slams.

Yeah, this is another thing, her serve has PLENTY of room for improvement. Her service motion is very technically sound, she's a very tall girl and she has no problem throwing power into her groundstrokes. She just needs to work on accelerating her racquet-head speed and maybe alter the ball-toss slightly, and she should have a serve which is atleast as good as Wozniacki's.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I would put the Williamses, Belgians, Sharapova and maybe Dementieva ahead of Azarenka. PERHAPS Jankovic is also a touch ahead. But that still leaves Azarenka as a clear #7/8 in my book. Her backhand is really excellent, that shot is REALLY up there with the very best in terms of power and precision. Admittedly her forehand is awful sometimes, but in many matches such as today she hits plenty of winners off it. Her serve isn't as bad as some people on here make out - it's better than Jankovic's and Radwanska's, for example. Plus her movement is underrated, and her she's very competent at the net.

And Kuznetsova is just invisible I guess? Jankovic is definitely better than Azarenka.

Azarenka's BH is her best shot, but it isn't a shot that can take over and dominate a match against the top players.

Her serve is definitely not better than Jankovic's with Jelena's new improvements.

Her movement is not underrated. She's slow. Moves decently side to side. Horribly forward. Mediocre anticipation.

She's "okay" at net. Very competent is a bit much.

She doesn't have a single stand-out aspect in her game besides her return of serve.

Welcome1
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Why everyone is trying to prove smth to this troll? He writes BS about Vika in every thread. Let's just ignore him))

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
And Kuznetsova is just invisible I guess? Jankovic is definitely better than Azarenka.

Azarenka's BH is her best shot, but it isn't a shot that can take over and dominate a match against the top players.

Her serve is definitely not better than Jankovic's with Jelena's new improvements.

Her movement is not underrated. She's slow. Moves decently side to side. Horribly forward. Mediocre anticipation.

She's "okay" at net. Very competent is a bit much.

She doesn't have a single stand-out aspect in her game besides her return of serve.

Kuznetsova is deeply overrated on this board imo - I would take Azarenka over her on a match on hard or grass, though I'd take Kuznetsova on clay.

Also, has Jankovic EVER had a match with 8 aces? And it's not like Bartoli is a crap returner either...

simonsaystennis
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Vika :worship: Welcome back to a final!! That first set was flawless. :) Win it all!!

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Kuznetsova is deeply overrated on this board imo - I would take Azarenka over her on a match on hard or grass, though I'd take Kuznetsova on clay.

Also, has Jankovic EVER had a match with 8 aces? And it's not like Bartoli is a crap returner either...

Kuznetsova's record on outdoor hard against anyone not Henin or Serena is more than respectable. Azarenka is not above her on hardcourts. Grass, yes.

Bartoli got aced over 10 times yesterday against MJMS. Her lack of reach due to being double-handed makes her suspectible to being aced often. She's a good returner when she can get her racquet on the ball. Hitting 8 aces against Bartoli doesn't say a whole bunch.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Interesting to see this thread when you are comparing serving performance of Radwanska/Jankovic and Azarenka during the the past year or so.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=407308

According to those stats there -

Per service game Vika hits more DFs than JJ/Aga,
Per service game Vika hits less aces than the other 2,
Vika has a slower first serve than the other 2,
Winning % on first serves in more than JJ, but less than Aga
Winning % on second serve is lower than JJ and Aga

But if she has indeed improved her serve (as people are saying based on this one match, then its a really good news (especially as a fan)

gmak
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Vika :yeah: :woohoo: :banana: awesome
Peak Vika is so :drool: to watch

now win it all and reach SF at Wimby ;)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Interesting to see this thread when you are comparing servinf performance of Radwanska/Jankovic and Azarenka during the the past year or so.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=407308

She's last or second to last in almost everything except percentage in.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM

And in the list for 'double faults'.

Seriously, I quite like Vika, but she doesnt have a better serve than JJ or Aga.

Mynarco
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
And in the list for 'double faults hit per game'.

Seriously, I quite like Vika, but she doesnt have a better serve than JJ or Aga.

Vika's serve...is better than..Aga's?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Vika's serve...is better than..Aga's?

Do you have trouble reading?

Andreas
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Winning % on second serve is lower than JJ and Aga

That's due to the double faults. As soon as it gets in, only Dementieva wins more points off her 2nd serve.

And yes, I would actually regard Vika's serve the weakest of those 10 players but watching her this week has made me question that. She's cut down on the double faults and she's winning loads of free points off her own serve. I'm sure it's something she has worked on because I've definitely seen a lot of improvement.

Once again a load of bs from you. She's only in the bottom 2 of the ones about aces and 1st service speed. You should just stop trying because it must be really embarrassing for you being wrong all the time.

FleetSeb
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Ummm, she was injured for the entirity of the clay season. Hence the poor results....

Anyway so glad she played so well today!! :bounce:

rucolo
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Good win, Vika!:hearts::D:yeah:

Vika has improved her serve: 8 Aces, 1 DF.

She beat Aga Radwanska, Clijsters and Bartoli here.
All in straight sets!
Vika deserves to be in the final.

If she wins the final, Vika is really back.:p

Take the title, Vika!;)

sammy01
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
vika's whole game is average bar her backhand which is top 5 in womens tennis right now. she has such strength to hit off her outside leg when open stance and pulled out wide. it is something only the likes of kim, serena, venus and sveta can do and come out of that corner with such pace.

when she can dominate matches with her backhand she looks very good, but it is not always possible and then when she has to rely on the rest of her game it makes her look very average.

cn ireland
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Marion:sad:

Rafito.
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:09 PM

Point.

What is peak Azarenka?

Go away.

The Dawntreader
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
vika's whole game is average bar her backhand which is top 5 in womens tennis right now. she has such strength to hit off her outside leg when open stance and pulled out wide. it is something only the likes of kim, serena, venus and sveta can do and come out of that corner with such pace.

when she can dominate matches with her backhand she looks very good, but it is not always possible and then when she has to rely on the rest of her game it makes her look very average.

Yeah, it's kinda true.

The trouble with her forehand is that she doesn't have the sheer leverage to explode through the court. It relies on am accumaltive process, where she looks to weather her opponents down, relying on thick margins and the above-average depth on the ball. She can ever so occasionally be more pro-active on the forehand, but her technique isn't stable enough. Causes her to drag her follow-through basically across her face.

Her backhand is sumptuous though. Everybit as aesthetically pleasing as Pierce-Capriati etc. It's her lack of real agility that prevents her from being 'deadly' off that wing. She's not a 'hit n' move' type player. She needs adequate prep on her groundstrokes, that elite players just don't give her, or at least not consistently enough for her to do damage.

Was impressed by her ability to play 1-2 strike tennis against Clijsters though. Clijsters isn't a mega-returner, but she was looking to supress the point quickly than inevitably becoming second best in protracted baseline exchanges.

BluSthil
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:36 PM
It looks like Vika has turned the corner, and that's good news for Wimby. Until this week, It didn't look like Vika was going to be any kind of a threat to the top seeded Wimby players. Good luck going forward Vika...

BluSthil
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Bartoli cracks me up. She has such an unusual serve, and her stance and butt movement before the serve is rather provocative !!! Shake that booty, Marion "KC" Bartoli...