PDA

View Full Version : Professional Picks and Predictions: Wimbledon (Oddo's picks added post #1)

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Use this thread to post and discuss all the professional picks for this years Wimbledon.

The last time around Chirs Odo from onthebaseline,com came closes with his predictions. He correctly predicted three of the four SF's at this years French Open. He also correctly predicted that Na Li would reach the SF's at Oz this year. His predictions usually come out the day after the draw is announced. I'll be sure to add his two cents once it's posted.

The ever-great and all knowing Chirs Oddo's picks just added. He made these predictions the day after the draw came out I just forgot to post it, so here it is:

--------------------------------------------

Serena’s Quarter:
Three-time singles and four-time doubles champion Serena Williams has only failed to make the semi-finals in three of her ten appearances at the Championships to date. Add to that the fact that she is likely bitter about missing out on a great opportunity to win the French Open title and you have a recipe for disaster for the other players in her quarter of the draw.

But it’s not going to be a walk in the park, as Serena could face the up-and-coming German, Andrea Petkovic, in the second round. Things could get even dicier, with a possible fourth-rounder against Maria Sharapova lurking on the horizon.

Other notable threats in the bottom half of this quarter are former quarter-finalist Na Li and three-time former quarterfinalist Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Pick: Serena

Wozniaki’s Quarter:
At first glance it quickly becomes apparent that this quarter of the draw is going to feature dogfights galore. There are so many strong players here that it is conceivable that any of six or seven possible semifinalists could emerge.

But Wozniacki, with her gritty and determined play in Paris no doubt feeding her Grand Slam confidence level, deserves to be the early favorite to emerge. She’ll be tested before it’s all over, as a possible fourth-rounder with a suddenly surging Victoria Azarenka is sure to at least temporarily put an end to the BFF texting and twittering that has become a part of the daily routine for these two.

Sam Stosur, who held the all-time single match ace record at Wimbledon for two years (18 in 2007), will need some big serving to overcome her apparent lack of comfort on the grass. Surprisingly, the Aussie has never been beyond the third round at SW 19. She’ll need to build some momentum early, for she could face either Flavia Pennetta or Aravane Rezai in the fourth round if there are no surprises- but don't be surprised if she bows out early.

Other threats in this very deep quarter include Jie Zheng (former semi-finalist in 2008), Alexandra Dulgheru (playing her first Wimbledon though), Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, and Gisela Dulko.

Pick: Azarenka

Jelena’s Quarter (also known as the Belgian’s Quarter):
You might be better off turning this quarter upside down before you start to analyze it. The No. 4 seed Jelena Jankovic has never been past the fourth round, while No. 17 Justine Henin is a two-time finalist who has been drinking raw eggs and chanting her Wimbledon mantra before, during, and after going to sleep, ever since she returned to the Tour.

Add to that mix the Tour’s supermom, Kim Clijsters, throw in a young hissy-fit-having Belgian, Yanina Wickmayer, add a dash of the bombastic tattoo-laden American, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, and stir while drizzling in a fine syrup of Nadia Petrova.

Bake under the hot sun, or retractable roof, and serve.

A potential third-rounder between Henin and Petrova, and a potential fourth-rounder between the winner and Kim Clijsters will keep all eyes on this part of the draw as the fortnight heads into its first weekend.

Pick: Henin

Venus’ Quarter:
Ah, the stunning power and effortless athleticism that is Venus Williams on the freshly mowed lawns of Wimbledon’s Center Court. The recently turned thirty legend of Wimbledon lore has contested eight of the last ten Wimbledon finals, taking home five crowns.

But hope springs eternal for the other players in this quarter. Venus did suffer hiccups in 2004 and 2006, losing in the second and third rounds in those years. The past has proven that, while not likely, it is possible to execute a sneak attack on Venus. Could Alisa Kleybanova be to the 2010 draw what Jelena Jankovic was in 2006, when she pulled off a three set shocker over Venus in the third round? Probably not, but definitely maybe.

Others who’ll be anxious to pull the wool over Venus’ eyes when she’s taking a moment or two to adjust whatever complicated dress she’s concocted for the occasion will be: Marion Bartoli, a former finalist; Shahar Peer, who has been in good form all season; and Francesca Schiavone (if she isn’t still distracted from all the celebrating she did after Roland Garros).

And if you’re thinking dark horse, then take a look at Yaroslava Shvedova. She’s got a very big game, and many think she’s headed higher in the rankings.

Pick: Venus

Semifinals: Serena over Azarenka, Henin over Venus
Final: Serena over Henin

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Here are the picks straight from some commentators, former players, and tennis writers. They've all made predictions prior to the draw being announced.
source: http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks

Darin Cahil
Men's Winner: Fedtard
Women's Winner: Serena
Women's Early Exit: Radwanska
Women's Sleeper (dark-horse): Sharapova

Cliff Drysdale
Women's Early Exit: Schiavone

Mary-Jo Fernandez
Men's Winner: Nadal
Women's Winner: Venus
Women's Early Exit: Wozniacki

Pam Shriver
Men's Winner: Roddick
Women's Sleeper (dark-horse): Molik

Ford (tennis writer)
Women's Winner: Clijsters
Women's Early Exit: Stosur

Garber (tennis writer)
Women's Sleeper (dark-horse): Peer

Tandon (tennis writer)

Ubha (tennis writer)
Women's Early Exit: Jankovic

Wilansky (tennis writer)
Women's Winner: Clijsters
Women's Sleeper (dark-horse) : Justine

tennnisfannn
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:46 AM
wow! No one has picked Justine! That should be weird. I do believ Sam deserves a mention, the way she is serving, she is going to be some serious threat next fortnight. they sure love Maria.

50Sense
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I mean can they at least wait until the draw is released?

tennisforadults
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Pam Shriver

Alicia hasn't shown any sort of good form since her Indian Wells 4th round. :help:

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Pam :o

Renalicious
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Pam Shriver

MOLIK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. And Roddick. :spit:

tonybotz
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:04 AM
justine's backhand has gone down the crapper - williams sisters are feeling the pressure of being old and the favorite-clijsters is hot and cold - i pick azarenka. young, powerful and hungry.

tonybotz
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:06 AM
masha as the darkhorse? sad.... but only jocks win wimbledon and maria hasn't moved well since she was 17. she's like seles without the consistency

ZODIAC
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:10 AM
justine's backhand has gone down the crapper - williams sisters are feeling the pressure of being old and the favorite-clijsters is hot and cold - i pick azarenka. young, powerful and hungry.so the sisters are old and Kim and Justine are not old,Serena is less than 2yrs older than kim and Justine is 9months younger than Serena.:p:fiery:

tonybotz
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:16 AM
um, the williams sisters have been on tour every year since 1995. big difference. they're old.

madlove
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:45 AM
its a pretty open field - both men & women! exciting

Gdsimmons
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Killer Cahil, Cliffy and Pam, I knew there was a reason I liked them.

tennnisfannn
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:56 AM
um, the williams sisters have been on tour every year since 1995. big difference. they're old.
What short memories we have, if schiavone could win her first slam @ nearly 30, then this has to be a most ridiclous claim. If they were close to 30 and putting up schynder like performances I would agree with you, as it they are the highest ranked players on the tour now.

Sp!ffy
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM
what does darkhorse mean exactly :confused:

Mightymirza
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Who would pick justine after what happened at FO? :lol: Shes clear underdog.. Peer as darkhorse :help:

Singleniacki
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Suprised Marion didn't get a mention for a dark horse.

Molik :inlove:
I hope she does well!

Sp!ffy
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I mean can they at least wait until the draw is released?

Exactly :rolleyes: I think the funniest thing is when people try to predict the QF/SF without the draw :lol:

Jajaloo
Jun 18th, 2010, 07:23 AM
:lol: Wimbledon final - Molik v Sharapova

nevetssllim
Jun 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM
What is Shriver smoking? Roddick?! :spit:

I don't see why Henin and Sharapova are dark-horses either. :confused:

Monirena Wiles
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I think a lot of people would want to change their minds now that the draw has come out.

Yonexforever
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sharapova as a dark horse?
please she wont get to the quarters the way she has been playing.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
A dark horse is 'someone outside the top 10 who has a chance to win'. Some of these characters for example picked Serena or someone to win at RG, while picking Justine as their drak-horse, since she was ranked in the 20s.

Uranium
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
MJF:hearts: I remember in 2007 she was the only one (commentatorwise) crazy enough to pick Venus. She loves picking Venus here:inlove:

Sharapowerr
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I agree with them for picking Maria as the Darkhorse
When she was healthy she was doing good at Wimbledon

2003 QF 2004 W 2005 SF 2006 SF and then the injuries came,

and after Serena, Venus and Henin she is the 4th active player with the most slams and the only active player together with the WS who won Wimbledon, so offcourse they picked her.

kiwialicat
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Tennis.com writer's picks to win

Steve Tignor - Rafael Nadal & Serena Williams

Sarah Unke- Andy Murray & Venus Williams

Peter Bodo - Andy Roddick & Venus Williams

Tom Perrotta - Roger Federer & Venus Williams

Bill Gray - Rafael Nadal & Samantha Stosur

David Rosenberg - Rafael Nadal & Venus Williams

Ed McGrogen - Andy Roddick & Venus Williams

As expected lots of Venus picks. Surprised Serena wasn't mentioned more though.

Lol, the only non-Williams pick was Stosur. I don't even know what he was thinking.

kiwialicat
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM
SI picks.

Jon Wertheim - Winner - Serena Williams
Sleeper - Li Na
Flameout - Caroline Wozniacki

S.L. Price - Winner - Justine Henin
Sleeper - Maria Sharapova
Flameout - Francesca Schiavone

Chris Hunt - Winner - Serena Williams
Sleeper - Sam Stosur
Flameout - Jelena Jankovic

Bruce Jenkins - Winner - Serena Williams
Sleeper - Li Na
Flameout - Francesca Schiavone

Richard Deitsch - Winner - Serena Williams
Sleeper - Sam Stosur
Flameout - Caroline Wozniacki

Bryan Armen Graham - Winner - Venus Williams
Flameout - Jelena Jankovic

Andrew Lawrence - Winner -Venus Williams
Flameout - Dinara Safina

Renalicious
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Lol wtf the Stosur pick. Do people not watch tennis AT ALL!? :help: She lost to Vaidisova and Ivanovic FFS

Sir Stefwhit
Jun 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Chris Oddo's picks:

Semifinals: Serena over Azarenka, Henin over Venus
Final: Serena over Henin