PDA

View Full Version : ROTFL: The worst conference call in the history of athlete conference calls

spiceboy
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Venus+Williams+makes+call/3154083/story.html

Venus Williams makes a bad call
By Stephanie Myles, Canwest News Service

The worst conference call in the history of athlete conference calls took place late Monday afternoon.

It was 10 minutes of our lives we’ll never get back. Actually, it was 40 minutes — Venus Williams was a half-hour late.

It wasn’t Tennis Canada’s fault. This summer’s Rogers Cup is slated to have all the top players on the women’s tour in its field and for the first time in her 17-year career, that is to include Williams. A little advance publicity is always a good thing.

Williams is a seasoned pro. She knows the drill. She’s an intelligent, charming woman who has plenty to say, given the opportunity.

So her brutal attitude Monday was disappointing, and thoroughly disrespectful to the journalists and the tournament organizers. She wasn’t doing it out of the goodness of her heart; she gets paid good money to do promotional activities like this.

We tried to think of reasons why, and came up with a few possibilities:
• She’s totally bummed out about being single as she turns the big 3-0 on Thursday.
• She’s not feeling well; she did sound a little congested.
• Maybe it was her nap time; we’ve seen Williams yawning uncontrollably at late-afternoon practice sessions around the same time of day.

It was hard to understand her Monday because she had her mouth full the entire time, but here’s some of what she did say:
• On her success at Wimbledon: “Obviously it’s where tennis started (chew, chew), so it’s pretty exciting (chomp, chomp). I always dreamed of doing that when I was younger (total monotone), so to be able to make my dream come true every year is wonderful (chew, swallow).”
• On her consistent decision to skip warm-up tournaments and practice on hard courts at home in Florida, setting foot on the grass only when she arrives in London for Wimbledon: “I just figure (chomp, chomp) I’m experienced in doing it every time.”

The question was asked because there have been several withdrawals from the tune-up events because of lower-back issues. The bounce is so much lower on grass — especially compared to the clay, which is what they’ve been playing on for six weeks — and the transition is challenging.

Williams, being so tall and having so much of her height in her legs, naturally would seem to be a likely candidate for that.

“Why people have lower-back problems (chew, chew) is beyond me,” she said.

• Has her career-long absence from the Montreal event been in part because she and sister Serena have often chosen to play different events? And has that changed because of the WTA Tour’s new Road Map and the fact that the Rogers Cup is a mandatory stop?
“I don’t know. I haven’t paid as much attention to it (mumble, chew). I think we played wherever we wanted to play.”
• On whether she has bypassed Montreal because she just doesn’t play many warm-ups before the Grand Slams: “I really do enjoy playing the Rogers Cup because it is a bigger event (chomp, chew, swallow), and of course everyone is aiming to play the bigger events and win.”

The Rogers Cup has always been a “bigger event”, but she has never made it here. She was in Toronto in 1995 and ’97, losing in the first round both times, and didn’t return there until 2009.
“I think just bad luck. I think a lot of times, I just haven’t been healthy enough,” Williams said.

That’s partly true. In 1998 and 2004, Williams retired due to injury the week before the Montreal event. In 2004, she even missed the U.S. Open. In 2006, she played only one tournament between Wimbledon and the end of the season.

But in her younger years she opted to play in California instead and even New Haven, Conn., the week right before New York. In 2008, she skipped the two hard-court events she signed up for in advance of the Olympics (including the Rogers Cup) to “rest her knee”, but then played five more hard-court events after Beijing.

Williams’ 2008 withdrawal came at the 11th hour; tournament director Eugene Lapierre had to cancel several promotional activities. We hope he got his cheque back.

Why does Williams plan to come this time? Well, the Road Map requires the top players to commit early to four of its “Premier” events, so Williams said “yes” last December. There are serious sanctions if they don’t commit, including forfeiting a share of the nearly $5 million US in bonus pool compensation.

Williams made it to Toronto last year, but lost in the first round to Kateryna Bondarenko of Ukraine after taking the first set 6-1.

We really hope she gets to Montreal this time and performs. Venus Williams in person, at full strength, is so much more impressive than what you can see on TV. It just doesn’t do justice to her speed, power, and the incredible slice on her serve. She’s worth the price of admission.

Hopefully by then, she’ll be in a much better (chomp, chomp) mood.

Montreal Gazette

spiceboy
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
:haha:

Happy birthday, Venus :wavey:

Miss Amor
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Its not funny and extremely biased. Not good journalism.

(And the comment about back injuries was clearly a sarcastic response to a very stupid question)

Seriously, most of those questions are so boring and idiotic that no wonder Venus' answers were dry.

Kworb
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Maybe they need to ask more interesting questions :yawn:

Wiggly
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM
With that article, Venus will tank in the 1st round. :lol:

Pureracket
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Hilarious article. :haha: Venus is a diva, and I love how obvious it is that the journalist hates it.

Bezz
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I dont know why they agree to do these things if they dont want to. They either love money too much or need to sack the ppl that get them to do it.

Lucemferre
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
spiceygirl posted a negative article about venus williams,never in doubt. I expect an ass kissing article about some irrelevant spanish scrub any time now.

venutite aigu
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Wow! this woman is so rude and the article is pointless.really:o

spiceboy
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
spiceygirl posted a negative article about venus williams,never in doubt. I expect an ass kissing article about some irrelevant spanish scrub any time now.

:dance:

Direwolf
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM
they shouldve asked her about her dog...

it always cheer her up...

almost...

Uranium
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:38 PM
:yawn: And the comments about why she may have been like that were lame :rolleyes:

Mightymirza
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
:lol: the whole chomp chomp chew chew is rather funny :lol: :lol: What was she eating? Or just gum?

Derek.
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM
:o

Dave.
Venus could probably have tried a bit harder but the journalist is out of order writing that.

Who cares whether Venus shows up in Montreal? It's merely another one of the string of hardcourt events in the summer. The journalist is acting like it's the main one. Plenty of players prefer to play in California and not have to go all the way up to Canada right before the USO (Davenport had the same approach).

I don't blame Venus for some of those answers either. I am so sick of the transition from clay to grass discussion we hear over and over again each and every year. They're two different surfaces, we get it!

VishaalMaria
It's obvious she doesn't like the tournament in Montreal.

You could see that on her face when she played her first match in 2009, even though she won the first set, she looked so careless and disinterested.

Looks like the same will happen this year. Who'll be the lucky one to draw her?

pepaw
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
It's obvious she doesn't like the tournament in Montreal.

You could see that on her face when she played her first match in 2009, even though she won the first set, she looked so careless and disinterested.

Looks like the same will happen this year. Who'll be the lucky one to draw her?

in 2009 it was in toronto

VishaalMaria
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
in 2009 it was in toronto

Basically she doesn't like playing in Canada at that time of year.

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe they need to ask more interesting questions :yawn:
Seriously. :lol:

-Sonic-
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Nice compliments from the writer despite Venus wasting her time.

laurie
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Let me tell you what the good news is... Finally, with the advent of the internet, and forums - its the opportunity to say what we think of the huge number of cretin journalists that exist all around the world and call them to account. What a waste of an article, I pity the good people of Montreal for having to read that nonsense.

moby
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM
“Why people have lower-back problems (chew, chew) is beyond me,” she said.That's amazing. :lol:

-Sonic-
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Change the player from Venus to Caro or Azarenka or Aga and I wonder if reactions would be the same.

Actually I don't wonder as I know people would change their opinions on the responses instantly.

Mightymirza
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Change the player from Venus to Caro or Azarenka or Aga and I wonder if reactions would be the same.

Actually I don't wonder as I know people would change their opinions on the responses instantly.

Azarenka gets enough crap about her attitude from press :lol: :wavey:

vswfan
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Venus has been on tour since 1994 and they still ask same questions year after year.
No wonder Venus got bored in press conference. If I were Venus I would get crazy for sure.
"Whats the difference between clay and grass?" "How do you feel when playing against Serena?"
Its amazing enough that Vee still attends every press conference.

miffedmax
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
No, the lame-assed, worst conference call was the one where that numb-nuts Larry Scott tried to get half the Big 12 to jump ship for the Pac-10.

Seriously, nobody BUT Larry Scott could have blown that one. :haha: What a dumbass.

Uranium
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Basically she doesn't like playing in Canada at that time of year.

She prefers the fast US summer hardcourts that are similar to the USO than the slow Canadian courts. Should be interesting this year with San Diego back, I wonder what her schedule is besides Cincy and Montreal.

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Anyone who doesn't kiss the earth after Venus or Serena has walked on it = hater

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
she's been answering the same questions for years... i'm not surprised if she feel disinterested even once.

edificio
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Venus has been on tour since 1994 and they still ask same questions year after year.
No wonder Venus got bored in press conference. If I were Venus I would get crazy for sure.
"Whats the difference between clay and grass?" "How do you feel when playing against Serena?"
Its amazing enough that Vee still attends every press conference.

So true. I imagine it must be beyond boring getting the same old questions. I'm sure, though, the athletes don't really think of these interviews, post-match or otherwise, as anything other than an obligation. It isn't a fun thing to do with their time. Very few people love it. This was dumb, though. Sometimes there's just no answer but you just didn't feel like playing Toronto or wherever. They don't care for that kind of honesty either.

However, this article is just crap AND sexist to boot. Single at 30, whoa, shiver me timbers, damned girl's an old maid! Isn't the journalist trying to build interest in the tourney? So she writes a bunch of negative crap and then throws in an aside at the end, oh well, she's a great specimen to watch.

canadia
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Venus could probably have tried a bit harder but the journalist is out of order writing that.

Who cares whether Venus shows up in Montreal? It's merely another one of the string of hardcourt events in the summer. The journalist is acting like it's the main one. Plenty of players prefer to play in California and not have to go all the way up to Canada right before the USO (Davenport had the same approach).

I don't blame Venus for some of those answers either. I am so sick of the transition from clay to grass discussion we hear over and over again each and every year. They're two different surfaces, we get it!

Montreal is WAY closer to New York than Los Angeles.

starin
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
That counts as diva behavior? lol she was probably in a pissy mood and didn't want to do the interview. big whoop.
The comment about Venus turning 30 and being single was klassy. It's 2010 and we're still condemning women for not being married by a certain age. :rolleyes:

Yonexforever
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
You know what?
I dont see that the author mentioned where Venus was when she received that call.
Maybe he interrupted her meal, because she was running late from a prior committment.
Telephonic interviews are done often, I coant condone the chewing, but when you call somneone at home you run the risk of cathching them mid act.
I guess we shouldn';t allow ourselves to wonder if she was even dressed!
:)

Yonexforever
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
And another thing....that writer could have written the article without all that editorializing!
THAT was unprofessional.
Im sure there are worst things that go on in conference calls that dont get reported in that way.

hankqq
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM

so true :lol: :o

miffedmax
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, there won't be any ass-kissy articles about their football team...:haha:

omoruyi
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM
[quote=miffedmax;17992573]No, the lame-assed, worst conference call was the one where that numb-nuts Larry Scott tried to get half the Big 12 to jump ship for the Pac-10.

Seriously, nobody BUT Larry Scott could have blown that one. :haha: What a dumbass.[/quote}

its the same larry scott THAT guy, :eek: ~ :mad:

Wiggly
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM

Which is weird.
Canada (especially Montreal) always gets huuuuuuuge crowds, is one of the biggest event of the summer and is much closer to New York.

But it's mainly the Californians girls who don't play it aka Davenport, Sharapova and the WS.

GeeTee
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
If they wanted Venus to appear interested, they should have done their homework and asked her questions about her dog, her fashions, her interests outside tennis and what she was eating. That's all she ever seems to tweet about.

Though it might not be the kind of stuff that would help promote a TENNIS tournament..

Dave.
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Which is weird.
Canada (especially Montreal) always gets huuuuuuuge crowds, is one of the biggest event of the summer and is much closer to New York.

But it's mainly the Californians girls who don't play it aka Davenport, Sharapova and the WS.

Not really. The Californian tournaments are earlier in the calendar, all in consecutive weeks and all relatively near each other. Players like Lindsay and Venus loved those tourneys and usually always went deep in them, so it's understandable why they'd take the next week (Canada) off. Lindsay and Venus actually both loved playing New Haven (even closer to NY ;)) directly before the USO, so to play the Canadian never made sense to either of their schedules.

Serena and Sharapova normally do play Canada, and hardly ever played New Haven.

serenus_2k8
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM
How dare Vee not jump for joy at the chance to respond to limp, generic questions. Should she put her life on hold and produce drama-filled monologues instead? Journalism is the journalists life, not the life of those answering their questions and they would do well to remember that.

spiritedenergy
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM
idiotic canadian journalism... typical. Canada you are NOT the center of the world, and never will. If she doesn't come, just go on with your business, it's her choice. Bye.

Bruno71
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
No, the lame-assed, worst conference call was the one where that numb-nuts Larry Scott tried to get half the Big 12 to jump ship for the Pac-10.

Seriously, nobody BUT Larry Scott could have blown that one. :haha: What a dumbass.

Hey he almost did it. Can you imagine Oklahoma in the Pac 10? A real reach, but I actually respect him for being aggressive. Which isn't to say he's gotten smart or anything.

Saralah.
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM
idiotic canadian journalism... typical. Canada you are NOT the center of the world, and never will. If she doesn't come, just go on with your business, it's her choice. Bye.
Really? Oh no :sad:!

And how is it typical? You read how many canadian articles in your life :rolleyes:? It does is a stupid article but all countries produced crap like this in the past.

LoveFifteen
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:25 PM
What a pathetic article! Venus answers the same questions she's answered 1,000 times before, and the journalist asks questions that are insidious and designed to anger the interviewee.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Not to discredit Venus and Serena, but I've worked in the media center for the last few US Opens and their press conferences are ALWAYS like this, even if they're in a cheerful mood. It amazes me that people even bother to turn up. Even when the questions are different from the same old things they're used to being asked, their responses are always canned, brief, and never revealing.

None of the players want to do press conferences. Simple as that. If it were up to them, they would be left alone during a tournament. Venus and Serena just aren't quite as skilled at hiding that fact.

Pat Bateman
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:38 AM
How dare Vee not jump for joy at the chance to respond to limp, generic questions. Should she put her life on hold and produce drama-filled monologues instead? Journalism is the journalists life, not the life of those answering their questions and they would do well to remember that.

Well, Venus could always go out and get a real job :p Problem solved.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Venus. :hearts:

(chomp chomp) :lol:

Midnight_Robber
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
So true. I imagine it must be beyond boring getting the same old questions. I'm sure, though, the athletes don't really think of these interviews, post-match or otherwise, as anything other than an obligation. It isn't a fun thing to do with their time. Very few people love it. This was dumb, though. Sometimes there's just no answer but you just didn't feel like playing Toronto or wherever. They don't care for that kind of honesty either.

However, this article is just crap AND sexist to boot. Single at 30, whoa, shiver me timbers, damned girl's an old maid! Isn't the journalist trying to build interest in the tourney? So she writes a bunch of negative crap and then throws in an aside at the end, oh well, she's a great specimen to watch.

Yeah - the dig was so antiquated, catty and pathetic. She can get married or not get married whenever she likes, ofr however long she likes. Next!

Exactly. And I agree with whoever said (earlier) upthread is that all this reveals is what useless, unecessary, and superfluous hanger-ons most 'journalists' actually are. They're banal, repetitive and keep printing non-stories all the time and have the audacity to act as if it's legitimate "work". I'm not sure why the athletes are required to keep them in a job, and it's scary to think how many people think that it is a matter of course and 'right' for journalists to be able to re-tread the same ground over and over again and never be forced to justify their existence...

What a pathetic article! Venus answers the same questions she's answered 1,000 times before, and the journalist asks questions that are insidious and designed to anger the interviewee.

Yep. Pretty much.

Venus. :hearts:

(chomp chomp) :lol:

:lol: Indeed.

Well, there won't be any ass-kissy articles about their football team...:haha:

Now, now Max... :tape::lol:

Wimbledon9
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Now who is behaving unprofessional Venus Williams or the journalist? I am inclined to say it is Venus, there is only a certain time to have the facilities for a conference call and to come 30 minutes late is so unprofessional.But look she will still get her appearence money etc. So who cares. I read the transcripts of two ladies from conference calls their names? Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova one about tennis history month and the other about her work for Tennis Channel at he French Open and her radiation treatment. Now talking about a couple of professionals or is it that they have more experience. They do a great job but then Venus is not a teenager and playing a long time she probably is totally disinterested.

pancake
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I think it's actually a pretty funny article and I actually like Venus. Why so defensive? If it's the view of the journalist then what's the problem? S/he was not happy with the way Venus responded then s/he's entitled to her/his opinion. Venus can be like that and I don't see a problem, rude? Perhaps. Unprofessional? Perhaps. I still like her. I always think a lot of people here have a problem that their favorites can't be criticized, and a group of fans of the same player always, I don't know, turn themselves into a group of people agreeing with each other on the same thing, saying stupid jokes insulting people, laughing at the stupid jokes, etc.

sammy01
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Nice compliments from the writer despite Venus wasting her time.

This.

we have all had these things where you are trying and the person you are trying towards is giving nothing and making what is not a very fun thing anyway even more frustrating, annoying and pointless.

plus it is rude to eat when on the phone doing something like this. bit dissapointed at this from venus, i like her off court so hoping it was merely just a blip and she was tired or something.

chuvack
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Those Tennis Canada people should stop complaining about the chewing, and just be glad Venus didn't do the conference call while she was in the bathroom taking a dump. Because that would probably be a closer reflection of Venus's opinion about the tourney having never played it in 17 years on tour.

The Witch-king
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Um yeah it was rude of her to come/answer the interview 40 (?) minutes late and be eating while she did it.

But on the other hand, the questions aren't exactly riveting so who can blame her. :shrug:

Really this article does no one any favours (Venus, the author and the readers)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Maybe people like this is why Venus doesn't want to play in MOntreal? ????????????????

:D lol jk

Caillou
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I suppose venus was licking her chops, just thinking about winning her 6th wimbledon:hearts:

Btw, fuck tennis canada, I stick by Vee. Perhaps Venus wasn't the most respectful or polite in this instance, but who really cares? The truth is, none of us know what was happening with Venus, or the interviewer, so you can't just go by what they say. That'd be like agreeing with Patrick Mcenroe and with what he said about Serena and the YEC/Fed Cup dilemma in his new book. You need both sides of the story. Plus, one tiny incident doesn't change the fact that Venus is still one of the most gracious winners/losers on tour and always seems respectful in press conferences.

sweetpeas
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe people like this is why Venus doesn't want to play in MOntreal? ????????????????

So right.....

V's a star
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
She prefers the fast US summer hardcourts that are similar to the USO than the slow Canadian courts. Should be interesting this year with San Diego back, I wonder what her schedule is besides Cincy and Montreal.

Hopefully thats all. She doesn't need anymore

V's a star
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Montreal is WAY closer to New York than Los Angeles.

:lol:

juki
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Tennis Canada have put the teleconference audio online now

http://web.tenniscanada.com/montreal/interviews/venus.wav

V's a star
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Really? Oh no :sad:!

And how is it typical? You read how many canadian articles in your life :rolleyes:? It does is a stupid article but all countries produced crap like this in the past.

this. STFU!

BOW TO CANADA spiritedenergy :lol:

Slutiana
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Thank you.

The interview wasn't bad at all. It's just that the questions are horrible. Special mention to the lower back injury question. :spit:

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Yeah, it's scandalous that Venus was asked to give up 10 minutes of her life, in exchange for the pitiful sum of about $10,000. I mean, if they're gonna subject her to that kind of slave labour, the LEAST they can expect is for Venus to be rude to them, right? I would've informed the UN Humanitarian Mission myself.

canuckfan
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The writer of that article is actually a poster here. So the pissed-off people can bad rep her if they want :lol:

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
The writer of that article is actually a poster here. So the pissed-off people can bad rep her if they want :lol:

Is it you?

canuckfan
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Is it you?

Nope.

dreamgoddess099
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
:yawn: And the comments about why she may have been like that were lame :rolleyes:

They were petty and made me think she deserved the interview she got.

Not to discredit Venus and Serena, but I've worked in the media center for the last few US Opens and their press conferences are ALWAYS like this, even if they're in a cheerful mood. It amazes me that people even bother to turn up. Even when the questions are different from the same old things they're used to being asked, their responses are always canned, brief, and never revealing. Oh really? Well the Wimbledon ones are a hoot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4DHCdE7quU

None of the players want to do press conferences. Simple as that. If it were up to them, they would be left alone during a tournament. Venus and Serena just aren't quite as skilled at hiding that fact.

That's because they don't care to fake the funk. People falling for fakeness is how serial killers keep getting people into their cars.

Well, Venus could always go out and get a real job :p Problem solved.

She's got one, running around a tennis court is harder work then any low paying labor job. Now the journalist on the other hand.....perhaps if she got off her lazy ass and did some laps she'd understand the importance of having energy therefore needing to eat.

:D lol jk

Well they certainly are the reason She doesn't trust journalists.

Why am I not surprised?

Ryan
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
It's an opinion piece, so theres nothing WRONG with it. She can say whatever she wants, and does bring up good questions, considering how long the Rogers Cup has been a top tier event. Plus it was written (to me) tongue in cheek, and even had compliments at the end! People need to relax.

VishaalMaria
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:27 PM

HAHAHAHA

Venus paying more attention to chewing her mouth than answering the first question.

So after hearing the whole interview, the journalist is making a mountain out of a mole hill and accordingly has made a fool out of some of you (especially Sammy01 who is always so fast to jump on his high horse). The way he depicts Venus is totally uncalled for and bad journalism because REALLY it's hard to tell whether the article is tongue in cheek or absolutely serious.

Venus was clear in what she was saying DESPITE concentrating a couple of times on her chewing during her answering of questions. So there was no need to mock Venus by littering the whole article with "chomp chomp". So it's really a surprise when people questions "Who's the more professional?"

The journalist obviously knows nothing about Venus to have asked those questions (which have been asked a million times before) and in turn obviously didn't know that Venus has ALWAYS given those sort of vague answers in press conferences. Thus it seems to me that the journalist thought Venus was rude in her answers and wanted Venus to be more open and felt hard done by the fact she wasn't, resulting in the article.

And it's ALWAYS a waste of time when you ask a player the same questions that have been asked a million times before. Wouldn't kill you to do some research, (professionals do their jobs properly) especially when you are a journalist so when you do have the chance to interview a player you don't (not surprisingly) waste your time.

On that note, consequently, it's not surprising you get a crappy conference call when there's no real substance in the questions you ask in the first place.

supergrunt
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:15 AM
lol venus

Pat Bateman
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, it's scandalous that Venus was asked to give up 10 minutes of her life, in exchange for the pitiful sum of about $10,000. I mean, if they're gonna subject her to that kind of slave labour, the LEAST they can expect is for Venus to be rude to them, right? I would've informed the UN Humanitarian Mission myself.

Yes indeed, this poor girl has obviously had her human rights violated ;)

sammy01
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
HAHAHAHA

Venus paying more attention to chewing her mouth than answering the first question.

So after hearing the whole interview, the journalist is making a mountain out of a mole hill and accordingly has made a fool out of some of you (especially Sammy01 who is always so fast to jump on his high horse). The way he depicts Venus is totally uncalled for and bad journalism because REALLY it's hard to tell whether the article is tongue in cheek or absolutely serious.

Venus was clear in what she was saying DESPITE concentrating a couple of times on her chewing during her answering of questions. So there was no need to mock Venus by littering the whole article with "chomp chomp". So it's really a surprise when people questions "Who's the more professional?"

The journalist obviously knows nothing about Venus to have asked those questions (which have been asked a million times before) and in turn obviously didn't know that Venus has ALWAYS given those sort of vague answers in press conferences. Thus it seems to me that the journalist thought Venus was rude in her answers and wanted Venus to be more open and felt hard done by the fact she wasn't, resulting in the article.

And it's ALWAYS a waste of time when you ask a player the same questions that have been asked a million times before. Wouldn't kill you to do some research, (professionals do their jobs properly) especially when you are a journalist so when you do have the chance to interview a player you don't (not surprisingly) waste your time.

On that note, consequently, it's not surprising you get a crappy conference call when there's no real substance in the questions you ask in the first place.

go to a meeting at work and try sitting there chomping away as you are talking and see how people react, trust me if your boss is in the room you wont be in the meeting long.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hilarious. :haha:

vesanto
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, many times Venus tends to get this absent attitude and for sure chewing during the press conference is not that I would call classy...however, the writer also has some issues, namely the quote "being single at 30", which was simply awful and out fo nowhere. These press conferences are indeed something I never seem to place myself on any of the sides. If on one hand I totally understand the bore of the players to go out there and answer the same old boring questions over and over again, it is a fact that the top players earn a lot of money so this is part of their job and they should keep it professional.

At the same time and on the other hand, the journalists also have a hard job because many times, when they ask questions out of the confort zone, they will just get trashed by the player or being accused of being rude..so they keep up with the same generic and bland bullshit.
I've worked in Estoril Open 2009 and I have attended most press conferences and I must say, most of them, especially the ones from the WTA, always had this ackward vibe and feeling from both sides.

The Kaz
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wow way to waste peoples time Venus...if you don't want to get paid just say so seriously :o

:hug: for the journalist...she totally deserved to write that retort. I wonder if this is the real Venus character coming out cos I'm nearly 100% she puts on the friendly, easy-going persona for the camera. At least Serena is honest about her (IMO bad) personality..

vswfan
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I listened the whole interview and I think its just a normal interview.
Venus was absolutely hearing every questions and she even surprised by the lower back question lol
The article is so untrue.

And if you want to hear Venus being open I think telephone interviewing is not a good idea.
I have seen a lot of TV shows or studio interview of her and she is really funny.