PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne QF: (3) Samantha Stosur [AUS] def (WC) Elena Baltacha [GBR] 6-7(5) 6-1 6-0

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Good job Sam :)

Great serving...15 aces!!

Should of won in 2 sets but oh well...rest up and good luck in SFs!

Marionated
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Bally :bigcry: really got outplayed in the last two sets.

tenniscrazy84
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Musique/mini-danse-19432.gif

TheBoiledEgg
Bally just went :cuckoo: after that TB

Denisex3
Awesome serving from Sam. :worship:

Harvs
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
15 aces babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

so glad she turned it on after that first set. but wow, serving so good!

Ferg
Sam Karlovic :eek: 15 aces

Keadz
Good job Sam. Keeps up her run of going deep in the tournaments she is playing.

Lots of room for improvement, she was pretty horrid for stages of that match but was still capable of producing a break stick and a bagel. :)

Good luck in the semis.

Huntress55
Sam that first set :lol:

But great last two sets. Those aces :drool:
Well done Sam !

TS
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Love that second and third set scoreline :)

Well done Sam, keep it up.

Good tournament for Baltacha.

Keadz
61 winners 33 errors for Sam

23 winners 22 errors for Bally

+/-
60+ winners.. well done.

claypova
sam was just :hearts: in set 2 and 3

no1 on the race now :hearts:

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
1st set was some of the worst shit i've seen. how bally is ranked top 60 i'll never know. at least sam played better in sets 2 and 3 and the huge gulf between them showed.

Svetlana)))
Baltacha has got to have the worst anticipation of any professional. She's just horrid and by the time she gets to the ball, it's so late that her reply will be short. Her shot selection is also laughable at times. There was a slice backhand in the second or third set that had me laughing for me a minute.

fouc
61 winners for Sam in 67 61 60 match? :eek:

Craigy
Hard luck, Bally. Nice first set! Hopefully she can have a good Wimbledon and keep this form going.

GeeTee
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Horrible wind made it hard for both players and pretty ugly tennis at times, but a good solid win by Sam.

Marionated
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Bally just really needs to work on her movement and especially her second serve. Sam was jumping all over it.

sammy01
61 winners for Sam in 67 61 60 match? :eek:

ignore the stats, they have been whack from eastbourne all week.

TS
I think Sam now gets career high No.6 with this win :)

*Jean*
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Elena :sad:

PushWoz
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Ignore the UE stats?
You cannot miscount winners.

Drine
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Impressive last two sets from Sam, great winners and aces :worship:
Congrats Sammy :cheer:

claypova
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM

did you even watch the match? sam hit winners everywhere during the whole match

Gerri
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Sam :yeah: Some good stuff after the first set.

Great serving :drool:

On to Wimbly, Elena :hug:

Harvs
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Sammy at number 6 now... and if she wins her next match she goes to number 1 in the race!!!!!!! agh:)

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Ignore the UE stats?
You cannot miscount winners.

did you even watch the match? sam hit winners everywhere during the whole match

im sure they are off, the 1st set they had sam hitting like 3 more winners than UE's, theres no way she hit 3 more winners than UE's. she was very very bad in the 1st set.

sam played well in the 2nd and 3rd sets, but the stats are not right.

claypova
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Sammy at number 6 now... and if she wins her next match she goes to number 1 in the race!!!!!!! agh:)

by beating baltacha, she's already no1. on the race ;)

pohlingyeow
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
the stats are not off, they simply include aces and net points in winners thats all.

Sammo
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
LOL, typical Williams psycho reaction after loosing tight first set, well done Sam!! :happy:

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
the stats are not off, they simply include aces and net points in winners thats all.

they do that in all tournaments ;):p

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:07 PM
61 winners:happy:?

No way was it that many.

PushWoz
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM

No way was it that many.

She hit 46 winners and 15 aces.
Have you seen her match against Bepa?

Huntress55
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Who cares exactly how many winners it was. It was plenty and she won. :yeah:

serenus_2k8
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
1st set was some of the worst shit i've seen. how bally is ranked top 60 i'll never know. at least sam played better in sets 2 and 3 and the huge gulf between them showed.

Not as shocking as Chak getting into top 5. :haha:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Well done Sammy ! :bounce:

Bally :hug: Still a nice run =)

Aaron.
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Not as shocking as Chak getting into top 5. :haha: Oh noes you didn't :hysteric:

timafi
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM
in 2 sets next time ok Sam:scared: :help: and Sam:hatoff:

Nico_E
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
ffs Baltacha :rolleyes:

she got too excited when she won 1st set, eyes wide open, fidgety and looking like a rabbit in headlights

thats trouble with brit woman, they never keep the focus right till the end - start getting ahead of themselves

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not as shocking as Chak getting into top 5. :haha:

:confused:

What does that have to do with Stosur?

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Big first serve, great fighting spirit, very deep strokes and she's capable at the net. :shrug: Far worse players have made the top 50.

tennisforadults
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM

No way was it that many.

How can 2 + 2 ever equals 4? :help:

That's the Sam I like - winner machine. :angel:

Sammo
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
61 winners is so incredible!!

The Dawntreader
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Everytime i seee Baltacha, it's always the same.

She has basically no source of natural timing, and her backhand seems late and clunky anytime she's forced to trade in deep baseline exchanges. She doesn't seem to have any real intimate knowledge of where the ball is really going either. Tends to muscle the ball, instead of applying a bit more spin and margin and at least try and stay involved, however briefly. The problem is she isn't particulary agile nor respurceful enough, so her compensation is to try and 'dictate' off the ground. This means she can vomit errors, which is ironic because she's not even that good to be a ball-basher. I find her game impossibly indistinct. I wouldn't know how to label her at all.

Everyone raves about her serve, but it's actually decreased in pace since her back injury (2005/06?), and know she rarely serves over 110+mph. So the argument that her serve is an immediate base to win the majority of points is a bit of a misconception.

Stosur still looks incredibly green on the grass, but at least she just relied on her strengths and steered away from her limitations. The way Baltacha was feeding her second serves and mid-court forehands, it was an ideal match really.

Baltacha has certainly got in MUCH better shape the last couple of years, but still a lot of work to be done, which i'm sure she's aware of and happy to oblige. Hopefully.

Shepster
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
1st set was some of the worst shit i've seen.
Indeed, had to stop watching after the tie-break it was so poor.

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM

She has basically no source of natural timing, and her backhand seems late and clunky anytime she's forced to trade in deep baseline exchanges. She doesn't seem to have any real intimate knowledge of where the ball is really going either. Tends to muscle the ball, instead of applying a bit more spin and margin and at least try and stay involved, however briefly. The problem is she isn't particulary agile nor respurceful enough, so her compensation is to try and 'dictate' off the ground. This means she can vomit errors, which is ironic because she's not even that good to be a ball-basher. I find her game impossibly indistinct. I wouldn't know how to label her at all.

Everyone raves about her serve, but it's actually decreased in pace since her back injury (2005/06?), and know she rarely serves over 110+mph. So the argument that her serve is an immediate base to win the majority of points is a bit of a misconception.

Stosur still looks incredibly green on the grass, but at least she just relied on her strengths and steered away from her limitations. The way Baltacha was feeding her second serves and mid-court forehands, it was an ideal match really.

Baltacha has certainly got in MUCH better shape the last couple of years, but still a lot of work to be done, which i'm sure she's aware of and happy to oblige. Hopefully.
Agreed with all of this. I remember back in 02-05 when she was one of the biggest servers in the world. Her serve is still effective though, and it allows her to set up one-two plays particularly against lower ranked players, which is where most of her wins have come this year.

cellophane
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Get to the final, Sam!

Sammy Stones
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
first set was a shitfest but at least it gave way to a proper display by sam. :hearts:

makarova next. final seems very possible :>

Joe.
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Bally. :hug:

WD Sam though.

AmeDevotee
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Bally: :hug: Still a great week. :yeah:

Apoleb
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sam's forehand is holding up nicely after RG in the sense that she's still hitting so many winners with it and looking fierce sometimes, despite the inconsistency. I don't know if I'm missing something, but before RG I didn't notice how potent her forehand can be. Most of the time it looked shitty. Her backhand is still junk, but she's doing a very good job at avoiding it, which is why either good angled top spin towards her backhand and short knifed slices are effective against her because it's harder to run around them to hit forehands.

serenus_2k8
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
ffs Baltacha :rolleyes:

she got too excited when she won 1st set, eyes wide open, fidgety and looking like a rabbit in headlights

thats trouble with brit woman, they never keep the focus right till the end - start getting ahead of themselves

I agree that she kinda panicked but she was outclassed, Stosur dug in deep and didnt give Bally a 2nd chance to scrape back into the match. The score could have been closer but Ballys mentality cannot be knocked. Had she not started with her great mentality and ability to fight, it would have been a straight set loss which on paper, would seem right.

Please try and keep up :tape:

Big first serve, great fighting spirit, very deep strokes and she's capable at the net. :shrug: Far worse players have made the top 50.

This :worship:

Injuries rarely leave a player better than they were beforehand so it makes sense, though her serve is still an asset in my eyes. Your assesement seems fairly accurate in the context of the match but not on the whole.

I actually think Bally had a better bh for the first set, but everything went tits up in sets 2 and 3. If Bally was capable of dealing with Stosurs serve better then I think she could have had a far better impact on Stosurs game.

As for lack of natural timing, I really disagree with that. Bally has better timing on hard, thats for sure but considering the wind, speed of surface and the calibre of her opponent I think Ballys timing is bound to be tested in this match.

miss_molik
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
go sammy!

sammy01
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:22 PM

it has nothing to do with anything. it is a typical serenus2k8 response, 'i don't like what you said about my fave so i'll insult yours'. you'd think that after all this time he/she may have grown up, but seems not and will continue to be on my ignore list where he/she belongs.

tennisforadults
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:38 PM
^ I have to say, your insistence that the stats are 'wrong' is just ridiculous.

You are judging by your own 'feelings' that there was no way Sam could have hit more winners than UEs in the first set. If you have counted every single winner and arrived at that conclusion, maybe. But denying reality is simply a big FAIL.

Ferg
Jun 18th, 2010, 12:15 AM
it has nothing to do with anything. it is a typical serenus2k8 response, 'i don't like what you said about my fave so i'll insult yours'. you'd think that after all this time he/she may have grown up, but seems not and will continue to be on my ignore list where he/she belongs.

Ill never forget that time he called Yari a cheater and said Robson was cheated out of the match at the Hopman Cup because Yari had to take a MTO for getting a nosebleed on court.... good times.

lynxy
Jun 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I find her game impossibly indistinct. I wouldn't know how to label her at all.
Quite a big girl, quite a big serve, but I've seen her beaten emphatically by a 5 foot 3 incher... yes, she must be doing a lot wrong.

delicatecutter
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Baltacha's skin-tight outfit was a bit... erm, distracting. :tape:

Beat
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM
the good thing about this match was that i finally got around to see baltacha play. though i was not impressed, sadly.
take the title, sam :yeah:

Midnight
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I think people are being rather unfair to Baltacha, i watched the game and the commentators constantly spoke about how strong the wind was so that has to be taken into consideration. Also, looking at the stats she hit one more winner than unforced errors which suggests she played a good match. I thought she played solid tennis and i was impressed by her. Stosur was fierce in the 2nd and 3rd sets and played very well in tough conditions. Looking at Baltacha's year its obvious how well she is playing and im really pleased for her after years of nearly making it, it seems 2010 is her year and ive got a good feeling that Wimbledon might be special for her

AdeyC
Jun 18th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I think people are being rather unfair to Baltacha, i watched the game and the commentators constantly spoke about how strong the wind was so that has to be taken into consideration. Also, looking at the stats she hit one more winner than unforced errors which suggests she played a good match. I thought she played solid tennis and i was impressed by her. Stosur was fierce in the 2nd and 3rd sets and played very well in tough conditions. Looking at Baltacha's year its obvious how well she is playing and im really pleased for her after years of nearly making it, it seems 2010 is her year and ive got a good feeling that Wimbledon might be special for her

It's often blowing a gale at Devonshire Park in Eastbourne.

Yes, I agree with you, can see her taking out Bartoli in Round 2