PDA

View Full Version : Vuvuzelas banned from Wimbledon

dsanders06
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Never In Doubt?

Tennis fans have been banned from bringing vuvuzelas to Wimbledon.

The plastic horns, popular with football fans at the football World Cup in South Africa, have been selling fast across Britain in the last week.

But the All England Club has insisted they would be banned, adding: "The message is not to bring them.

"We have a list of prohibited items, including rattles and klaxons and Vuvuzelas will fall into that category so the message is not to bring them."

There are fears the horns could spoil other summer showpieces like rowing's Henley Royal Regatta and cricket's Test series against Pakistan.

And a spokesman for Henley Royal Regatta added: "We would not permit whistles, horns, trumpets, pianos, vuvuzelas, drums or any other such instrument within the enclosures or the boat tent area."

The England and Wales Cricket Board has said that each Test venue would be able to decide its policy on which items could be admitted.

A spokesman for Trent Bridge, the venue for the first Test between England and Pakistan starting on 29 July, commented: "We had a few at the ground last night for the Twenty20 match. They are not on our banned list and we don't see them causing a problem.

"We might look at it again nearer to the Test match. They are slowly catching on but they are nowhere near as widespread as in South Africa."

Retailers across the country have sold tens of thousands of England-branded horns, which could prove as popular with other fans as they have been with football fans.

The horns are ubiquitous in South Africa but have led to widespread criticism from both players and armchair fans, who say they are tuneless and block out singing or chanting.

But a Premier League spokesman said: "Nothing in our rules specifically prohibits musical instruments from being brought into grounds as such matters are dealt with at club level.

"It will be down to stadium managers, in consultation with supporter groups, to determine what is appropriate."

In Scotland a politician has called for them to be banned from football grounds.

Margo MacDonald MSP, who is a Hibernian fan, stated: "As well as being really annoying, there is also a possible health and safety aspect, given the noise they make."

But a spokesman for the Scottish Premier League added: "Our stance is that we don't have any specific rules on musical instruments or vuvuzelas. It's not something we plan to review. It's up to each club whether they want to allow them into their grounds."

London Mayor Boris Johnson, who is in South Africa to learn lessons on hosting a major sporting event ahead of the 2012 Olympic Games, has questioned the vuvuzela's appeal.

Johnson, who is part of England's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup finals, told reporters: "It has many attractions. It's a great way of expressing yourself in a loud, vehement, parping kind of way.

"I wonder whether collectively it doesn't actually detract from the game.

"It just produces a slightly monotone whine doesn't it? And I think maybe that's not the effect we're going to want to see in 2012."

Super Dave
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Well, gosh, I hope so.

Patrick345
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM
But how are we supposed to support Amanda Coetzer and Wayne Ferreira? :p

John.
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I never expected anyone to actually take one there in the first place, but thank God

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
you dont need to buy a vuvuzela

just a piece of paper rolled/shaped up makes the same sound.

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM
VUVUZELAS are selling like hot cakes all over the world..its not just at the World Cup
I want one for the USA Open..
GO VUVUZELAS!!!

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Damnit, I thought Victoria actually had a shot to go deep. Thanks Wimbledon.

The Witch-king
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
sigh, wimbledon will do anything to make itself as unexciting as possible

toby345
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Too bad I wanted to see the Queen trying to get a sound out of it :haha:

SVK
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
But how are we supposed to support Amanda Coetzer and Wayne Ferreira? :p

Huh?? You are 20 years later...we have Chanelle Scheepers and Kevin Anderson now

:p

Delfii
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
:sobbing: I like vuvuselas :haha:

Stevecw
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Damn right, if I saw someone with one of those horrible things I would shove it down their neck! They are a nightmare.

The Witch-king
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Huh?? You are 20 years later...we have Chanelle Scheepers and Kevin Anderson now

:p
u forgot Rik de Voest and Raven Klaasen!!!!!

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
u forgot Rik de Voest and Raven Klaasen!!!!!

What about Frew McMillan's commentary?

volta
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I never expected anyone to actually take one there in the first place, but thank God

Exactly.

If This was Roland Garros Though ... :o

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Exactly.

If This was Roland Garros Though ... :o

Even there. I'd expect them at the AO though. They're a fun crowd looking for new ways to celebrate and cheer I suppose.

The Witch-king
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
What about Frew McMillan's commentary?

or Hendrien Grove's interviews?

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:57 PM
or Hendrien Grove's interviews?

It's evident that we need these vuvuzelas at Wimbledon!!! :(

The Witch-king
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:05 PM
It's evident that we need these vuvuzelas at Wimbledon!!! :(

meEIsMtwk1Q

brickhousesupporter
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
you dont need to buy a vuvuzela

just a piece of paper rolled/shaped up makes the same sound.

Or a plastic soda bottle.....are they going to ban those too.

Wiggly
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:16 PM
We have plastic horns in Canada, the sound is slightly different but it's the same thing.

I don't understand why everyone acts like these tings were just discoreved in South Africa.

loppy
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Vuvuzelas are awfully for the World Cup viewing audience.

I applaud Wimbledon's decision :yeah:

-Sonic-
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Vuvus :(

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Long live Vuvuzelas,how nice to see a different way of cheering your team,better than the Bammy Army though

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Vuvuzelas are awfully for the World Cup viewing audience.

I applaud Wimbledon's decision :yeah:

I suggest you shut your tv up,as they will be there till the last day,Vuvuzelas are not for sensitive ,intolerant people,you either embrace our culture or leave it.They are not for sport like tennis for your info

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:33 PM
imagine someone shoving a vuvuzela down some linesjudge s throat..:tape::lol:

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
imagine someone shoving a vuvuzela down some linesjudge s throat..:tape::lol:

Just as I am about to shove one vuvu in someones arse on this forum
I think I need to arm Serena with one ,US OPEN is approaching fast:lol:

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I suggest you shut your tv up,as they will be there till the last day,Vuvuzelas are not for sensitive ,intolerant people,you either embrace our culture or leave it.They are not for sport like tennis for your info

Exactly. Vuvuzelas are a part of South African culture. Don't put the World Cup in South Africa and then bitch, moan and whinge about the culture. South Africa isn't an extension of Europe.

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Exactly. Vuvuzelas are a part of South African culture. Don't put the World Cup in South Africa and then bitch, moan and whinge about the culture. South Africa isn't an extension of Europe.

Spot on mate

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
does anyone notice that the media was ready to criticize the organisation of the World Cup and fortunately the event so far has been superb...now they blame the vuvuzelas,what a bunch of losers.
I guess all of media was hoping for a disaster..

toby345
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM

I thought the Vuvuzela is only 10 years "old" in South Africa? :shrug:

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM

What??:confused::help:

Keegan
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Does that really matter? It has become something which you'll see at many, many soccer matches. It doesn't matter how new or old something is, it can still be part of the culture. The London Eye is an example of something that is virtually brand new (11 years old) and it is considered something that relates to the culture of Britain.

Besides, the vuvuzelas are based on the kudu horn instruments and there have been version of the vuvuzela going around since the 70's or so.

Zweli
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
does anyone notice that the media was ready to criticize the organisation of the World Cup and fortunately the event so far has been superb...now they blame the vuvuzelas,what a bunch of losers.

Especially the British and the Germans,nothing good comes from Africa especially if they are not going to benefit anything,but believe me if South Africa was to ship some Diamonds,Gold & Platinum to Buckingham Palace it would have been a different story

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Especially the British and the Germans,nothing good comes from Africa especially if they are not going to benefit anything,but believe me if South Africa was to ship some Diamonds,Gold & Platinum to Buckingham Palace it would have been a different storyI am happy the fans are not paying attention to this nonsense:hearts:...in fact they are giving the media the middle finger:tape::bounce:they have the nerve to tell Africans how to enjoy themselves..

Patrick345
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Does that really matter? It has become something which you'll see at many, many soccer matches. It doesn't matter how new or old something is, it can still be part of the culture. The London Eye is an example of something that is virtually brand new (11 years old) and it is considered something that relates to the culture of Britain.

Besides, the vuvuzelas are based on the kudu horn instruments and there have been version of the vuvuzela going around since the 70's or so.

I just dont get why you blow them for 90 minutes straight without any relation to what is actually happening on the pitch. Is it because you want to show the world how excited you are and that you can make the World Cup a big party? Sometimes a little less is more.

But Im impressed by the lung capacity of the South Africans. :worship:

The Witch-king
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I just dont get why you blow them for 90 minutes straight without any relation to what is actually happening on the pitch. Is it because you want to show the world how excited you are and that you can make the World Cup a big party? Sometimes a little less is more.

It's so weird. When I was growing up they would be blown like once in a while esp. when someone scored a goal or they would be done to a tune in a sort of pattern, but all of its just gone totally crazy and people just do it CONSTANTLY.

I guess it has to do with the fact that loads of people do it nowadays rather than it being one or two people in a crowd but the fact that I only really noticed this at the confederations cup last year tells me that this "vuvuzelas are part of our culture" business is not entirely true.

Burisleif
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
There is no way in hell they can ban Vika from Wimbledon. :mad:

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Wimbledon needs more fan involvement

http://viviennemackie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/vuvuzela2.jpg

ivanban
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:54 PM

World Cup + Vuvuzelas = DISASTER

PERIOD!

Aaron.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:55 PM
There is no way in hell they can ban Vika from Wimbledon. :mad: :lol:

NoChokes
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not a vuvuzela fan, but everytime I see the word it makes me chuckle. It's just a very funny word when used in an angry sentence.

I think it does prove that they need to put the World Cup in a country that actually cares about the sport, not who just want to blow a horn all match without caring a jot about what's going on in the game.

Was quite sad that half the home support went home when Uruguay scored the second tonight, it's the bleeding world cup, you don't go home before the end. At least stay till the end to boo your team off like they would in England.

Zweli
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm not a vuvuzela fan, but everytime I see the word it makes me chuckle. It's just a very funny word when used in an angry sentence.

I think it does prove that they need to put the World Cup in a country that actually cares about the sport, not who just want to blow a horn all match without caring a jot about what's going on in the game.

Was quite sad that half the home support went home when Uruguay scored the second tonight, it's the bleeding world cup, you don't go home before the end. At least stay till the end to boo your team off like they would in England.

Are you implying that South Africa does not care about sport???
You need:help:

Zweli
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Wimbledon needs more fan involvement

http://viviennemackie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/vuvuzela2.jpg

Tell me about it,go to Wimbledon and be a sexy clapper of hands,suppress your emotions:lol:

The Kaz
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Agree. Why they gave the World Cup to South Africa is beyond me...there a so many better and more stable countries in Africa eg: Egypt, Morocco, Cote d'Ivoire or Nigeria.

Zweli
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:53 AM

Oh Yeah we wanted to prove a point to the Germans,that we are Africans in case they have forgotten,and yes we can host the world cup,something you thought it would never happen in South Africa

Go Vuvuzelas!! we refuse to be told how to celebrate in our own land
May be the earplugs might protect your eardrums if at all you are still interested in watching:wavey:

Keegan
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
It's cold over there anyway. Wear earmuffs and you'll block out the noise AND keep your ears warm!

ZODIAC
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I want a vuvuzela ringtone

Miccor
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Damnit, I thought Victoria actually had a shot to go deep. Thanks Wimbledon.

Poor Vika! :o

Super Dave
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
We have plastic horns in Canada, the sound is slightly different but it's the same thing.

I don't understand why everyone acts like these tings were just discoreved in South Africa.

I know, I had one back in the '70s.

ZODIAC
Jun 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I have been to a hockey match man its gross..fans puking on other fans eeww

miffedmax
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Yep. Such horns have been a staple at MLS games since its inception.

Albireo
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:03 AM
How can they ban them? Every female player has one.

/wait... what?

tonybotz
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:07 AM
ugh those things are just as obnoxious, predictable, and boring as "football".

FleetSeb
Jun 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thank God! It would sound awful if they were allowed, don't want Wimbledon developing a horrible crowd like the French at RG...

Szavay #1
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
the a-ec is so trendy. :rolleyes:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:23 AM
First they ban Vuvuzelas, then they draw MLDB against Serena Williams, it is very clear the LTA is cracking down hard on all sorts of noise pullution.

Sammm
Jun 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
There is also a vuvuzela App on the I-phone. My friend downloaded it last night. It's rather annoying, but nowhere near as loud as a real vuvuzela.

Gregorio87
Jun 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.tennisforum.com

zvonarevarulz
Jun 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one that thought they were talking about Larcher De Brito? :lol:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
OMG, I'm so happy :bounce: No Azarenka ! :woohoo:

Nicolas
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Nice move from Wimbledon organization. These annoying horns have to stay VERY FAR AWAY from tennis.

LANGAM
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Ha ha ha. U r so funny. :lol::lol::lol:

stangtennis
Jun 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
They are right, Vuvuzela's has been banned from the Wimbledon website:
http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

Gregorio87
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
They are right, Vuvuzela's has been banned from the Wimbledon website:
http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

:speakles: Wimbledon's technical improvements are scary, first the roof, then this:speakles:

stangtennis
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
:speakles: Wimbledon's technical improvements are scary, first the roof, then this:speakles:
It tunrs out Vuvuzela's haven't been banned from the Wimbledon website anyway, you just have to use the correct link: http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/aeltc2010.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/index.html

http://twitter.com/ItsVuvuzelaTime/status/16561999409
No vuvuzelas at @Wimbledon (http://twitter.com/Wimbledon) this year?? Not if we can help it.... http://bit.ly/d4y4DI
about 17 hours ago (http://twitter.com/ItsVuvuzelaTime/status/16561999409) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

Gregorio87
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
How could I think that this new boring website can do such thnigs:lol:

Bronx19
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
When would you blow these things during a tennis match?

You'd look like a fucking moron.

stangtennis
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
When would you blow these things during a tennis match?
Every time Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, Michelle Larcher de Brito etc. hits the ball. Nobody would even notice the vuvuzela then. :lol: