PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne: Sam Stosur (3) def. Daniela Hantuchova 63 36 64

Josh.
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Giant :o

Absolutely no penetration on her groundstrokes (Daniela). It's grass FFS. Anyone wondering why she isn't in the top ten? Case and point.

Serenus Christ
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:40 PM
stupid stupid stupid
makes me so mad.

Acinolbaj
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Daniela :sad:

stupid umpire. are they blind or what? :rolleyes:

JJ Expres
how many break point she had in last gem?it was 15-40.....

Aaron.
Dani :sad:

Daniela-Is-Mine
Daniela hands a beautifully gift wrapped win to Stosur.

madmax
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
oh Dani...this match was the story of your career:bigcry:

The Kaz

Bitter much? :o

Well Done Sam certainly didnt play you're best but did enough to get through.

Please play better in the QF against Jie or SBS :)

Huntress55
Grass isnt her fave surface, knew this match was going to be a dangerous one, just glad she got through :D THe more matches she gets before Wimbledon the better :)

Well done Sam :)

tennisforadults
Tough match for Sam. Daniela played well but Sam's serves always get her out of trouble. :worship:

Keep working on the slice serve! When it's on it's :bowdown:

PushWoz
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Dani choked as usual :sad:
Should of won it in straight sets.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Bitter much? :o

Well Done Sam certainly didnt play you're best but did enough to get through.

Please play better in the QF! :)

So you are saying Sam won the match on her own?
Without Daniela's brain fart in the first and third?

Drine
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Not a great match from Sam but she's through :cheer:
Dani :hug:

Otlichno
Ugh Samantha just did enough to beat Daniela!!

Sam may not have played well, but Daniela played even worse!! :help: Those 4 break points :hysteric:.

She definitely should have won that first set too, she hadn't lost a point on her serve and had break points and 2-1 and 3-2!! :help:

Goods job anyways Sam, grass isn't your favorite surface and you were able to win. I'm just happy Daniela put up some sort of fight against someone ranked 18 places above her.

tennisforadults

Sam has to earn it, but thanks anyway. ;)

G&R
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Dani :( what a wasted chance..that last game with 4 Bps I'm very angry at the moment
congrats Sam she served very well on the most important points

Libertango
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Pretty much. At times Dani looked pretty good, but her movement was AWFUL. Plus, her shots have definitely lost a bit of snap and when did her serve get so weak?!

Sam's serve won her the match. Well done.

tennisforadults
how many break point she had in last gem?it was 15-40.....

I think 4 break points in all. 2 good body serves got Sam back on deuce. An ace by Sam saved another break point.

The Kaz
So you are saying Sam won the match on her own?
Without Daniela's brain fart in the first and third?

Yep. her Serve got her out of trouble on numerous occasions and you know it...I know she is your fave but Sam won the match more than Daniela lost it. ;)

I wish Dani a good Wimby anyway :D

Rafito.
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Daniela :sobbing: Should have really won this.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Yep. Her Serve got her out of trouble on numerous occasions and you know it...I know she is your fave but Sam won the match more than Daniela lost it. ;)

I have to disagree.
Ill DEFINITELY give you that Sam's serve was phenomenal and won her a lot free points, but the fact that Daniela, while serving, managed to hit ridiculous errors (especially at 3-3 in the third) is completely the reason she lost and Sam won. Not because Sam served well.

EDIT: And I wish the same for Sam :p

The Kaz
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Oh btw...this win means that Sam has reached at least the QFs of her last 7 tournaments :yeah:

RenaSlam.
Some things never change, Daniela.

Otlichno
Daniela shouldn't have called for her coach at 3-2! I think it totally ruined her rhythm! It took her a few points to get it back but by then it was already 0-40! But kudos to Sam for hanging in there after the third set, Daniela was playing some good tennis then.

timafi
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Sam happy you got your shit together:help: :yeah:

Steff_forever
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
:sobbing:

again and again missing those chances to top top players...

Shepster
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
That's an embarrassing match for both players. Sam was terrible and relied on the serve to get her out of jail, Dani couldn't capitalise at all on Stosur's deficiencies. Sam did her very best to lose this, Dani did her best not to win it. :o for everyone and everything involved, including the net for gifting Dani points and the umpire for the more than questionable calls throughout.

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Grass exposes everything that is wrong with Shanksur's groundstrokes and footwork, she's probably the only player out there who consistently lacks timing on her shots. I'd say her whole game on the surface is a one big technical flaw.
Still it was enough to beat a clueless Hantuchova. I lost count of all the times Daniela was dumbfounded by Stosur' shot selection.

Shepster
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Grass exposes everything that is wrong with Shanksur's groundstrokes and footwork, she's probably the only player out there who consistently lacks timing on her shots. I'd say her whole game on the surface is a one big technical flaw.
Yep, anything bouncing below the hip and it was a UE waiting to happen. :tape:
Still it was enough to beat a clueless Hantuchova. I lost count of all the times Daniela was dumbfounded by Stosur' shot selection.
But when she goes in behind you for the winner that often *surely* she'll change it :lol:

Richie's
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM

:worship:

Her break point conversation 3/13 is still way too pathetic and tragic, specialy having 4 bp's for *5-5.

Daniela will never come back. She missed all the chances were given to her. Even Top 20 seems so hard to enter for her.

tennisforadults
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'd say her whole game on the surface is a one big technical flaw.

Maybe, except the serve.

Sam is strong enough to still hit a good shot when out of position.

NyCPsU
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Keep the ball low and you can beat Sam on grass its really that simple. Daniela lost the plot in the first and third. So frustrating. :mad:

Sam's serve won this match for her. Anything that went to a rally of more than a few shots Daniela usually wound up winning. Still, I'm not crushed, with a decent draw at Wimbledon I think she can reach yet another 4r at a grand slam. :yawn:

OZTENNIS
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Sam :)

Up to No.6 now I believe?

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
ohmygod sam played so bad. i think sam actually played worse than dani today but managed to scrape through on the important points.

tennisforadults
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Sam :)

Up to No.6 now I believe?

Yep. ;)

rockstar
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
daniela was trying to keep the ball low, hence the "lack of penetration". would have liked to see her slice more though

rockstar
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
ohmygod sam played so bad. i think sam actually played worse than dani today but managed to scrape through on the important points.

clay season's over, this is the sam you need to get used to :o

VIKA?
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Dani:hug:

roelc
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:36 PM

this.

just a typical daniela match = :fiery: :mad: :sad:

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
clay season's over, this is the sam you need to get used to :o

ive watched pretty much all of sammys wimbledon matches over the years... shes not great on the grass but i dont know ive seen her play like that in quite a while. especially the first half of the first set, it was atrocious besides her serving.

klever58
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
bad calls on Dani... wasted chance... bad match :sad:

Shepster
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
ive watched pretty much all of sammys wimbledon matches over the years... shes not great on the grass but i dont know ive seen her play like that in quite a while. especially the first half of the first set, it was atrocious besides her serving.
She was the same against Malek at Wimbledon last year, spraying errors left and right. Mystery how she gets through this kind of thing. Oh well, first top 30 win (excluding that Mauresmo retirement 2 years ago) for Sam on the surface, if there is a plus then that's it.

Sammy Stones
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM
sam's backhand and net game :mad: it's not always this bad but she needs to get her shit together for the QF.

dani contested a lot of calls and for some reason you're all assuming she was right. there was no hawk eye and the broadcast images (at least on eurosport) weren't clear. it's all part of the game, including the 2 free points she got from the net.

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
She was the same against Malek at Wimbledon last year, spraying errors left and right. Mystery how she gets through this kind of thing. Oh well, first top 30 win (excluding that Mauresmo retirement 2 years ago) for Sam on the surface, if there is a plus then that's it.

youre right actually. that was disgusting.
but then against ivanovic she played quite well in the 3rd round, ana just served incredibly. so she definitely has the potential to play some good tennis if her game comes together..

Harvs
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
sam's backhand and net game :mad: it's not always this bad but she needs to get her shit together for the QF.

dani contested a lot of calls and for some reason you're all assuming she was right. there was no hawk eye and the broadcast images (at least on eurosport) weren't clear. it's all part of the game, including the 2 free points she got from the net.

i know... a lot of the balls she complained about looked like the right call was made when the replays were done. there were a few iffy ones but thats what happens in tennis unfortuantely.

Steff_forever
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Keep the ball low and you can beat Sam on grass its really that simple. Daniela lost the plot in the first and third. So frustrating. :mad:

Sam's serve won this match for her. Anything that went to a rally of more than a few shots Daniela usually wound up winning. Still, I'm not crushed, with a decent draw at Wimbledon I think she can reach yet another 4r at a grand slam. :yawn:

yes how thrilling. Either she chokes another 4th rd away or she folds again against Serena...

Steff_forever
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:02 PM
i know... a lot of the balls she complained about looked like the right call was made when the replays were done. there were a few iffy ones but thats what happens in tennis unfortuantely.

better:
what always seems to happen in tennis against Dani unfortuantely when she is on to turn around a match... :(

Shepster
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
youre right actually. that was disgusting.
but then against ivanovic she played quite well in the 3rd round, ana just served incredibly. so she definitely has the potential to play some good tennis if her game comes together..
Ivanovic was lights-out in that match last year, best match I've seen her play in a very long time (probably since her destruction of Schnyder indoors in late 2007). Incredible 1st serve %age, some very big aces, double winners-UEs ratio, she was *on*. Sam played fine, didn't really do anything wrong, but was a bit too passive - there's very little you can do when someone's playing that well though.

Belmont Lad
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Oh Dani, this was a most winnable match. :(

darkangel23
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Dani :sad:

tennisforadults
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Ivanovic was lights-out in that match last year, best match I've seen her play in a very long time (probably since her destruction of Schnyder indoors in late 2007). Incredible 1st serve %age, some very big aces, double winners-UEs ratio, she was *on*. Sam played fine, didn't really do anything wrong, but was a bit too passive - there's very little you can do when someone's playing that well though.

It was arguably Ana's best win last year. Everyone (probably including Ana) thought it was going to be the turnaround in her slump... but instead she fell further.

Chakvenus
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Dani :sad: :sad:
you really should have won this!!

matty
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Pretty much. At times Dani looked pretty good, but her movement was AWFUL. Plus, her shots have definitely lost a bit of snap and when did her serve get so weak?!

Sam's serve won her the match. Well done.

When Dani is nervous (playing a good player or on a biggish stage or when people finally have expectations for her because she's playing well) she freezes up, shuts down, holds back...whatever you want to call it--she's scared of success IMO--it has happened hundreds of times in her career :sad:.

messing
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I see what you're trying to say though, wasn't it Mattek not Malek? :scratch: And Mattek wasn't that bad on that day anyway.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Sammie! :cheer:

Oh Dani :o

LCS
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Absolutely no penetration on her groundstrokes (Daniela). It's grass FFS. Anyone wondering why she isn't in the top ten? Case and point.

A non-penetrating Danka still had Stosur with her hands full...:tape:

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
A non-penetrating Danka still had Stosur with her hands full...

Oh my gosh... This is so wrong... :tape: :lol:

Lulu.
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Ridiculous loss Dani. :o

Shepster
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I see what you're trying to say though, wasn't it Mattek not Malek? :scratch: And Mattek wasn't that bad on that day anyway.
Both. She played Beth round one then Tadde round two. The Malek match was the awful one where Tadde was slicing away all the time at the back and Sam was spraying all over the place.

monmonito
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
well she as everyone said am serve's is a big point here...
and she's a top 10 player it good that Dani take a set...
well let's judt hope that Dani learn from this game and do all the things that she needed to make it farther at Wimbledon..
well as a fan be used to it...

well she's still in the top 30 not like ana or other player who should be ashamed of what happen to their career,...

DiscoStick
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hmmm... whatever.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Nice fight Sammy :yeah:

Sammy Stones
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
A non-penetrating Danka still had Stosur with her hands full...:tape:

it's not easy to penetrate sam's territory when she's stroking you hard.

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ugh, Daniela. :o

Cosmologist
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM
she was so close. oh dani.
do your best in london :)

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM

This thread should be R-rated :tape:

young_gunner913
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM

I don't think anyone is wondering why Daniela isn't top ten. :p

monmonito
Jun 16th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hmmm... whatever.

whtever yourself!!!:p

Sammo
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
So it was a shit of match? I thought it had been good :lol:

Sammo
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
As far as I know Daniela's been doing much better recently, if we were talking about 2009 Daniela would lost to Jankovic for example 6-2 6-2, now she wins against her!! Go for it Danka!!

tennisforadults
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:24 PM

:rolls:

Josh.
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I don't think anyone is wondering why Daniela isn't top ten. :p

It was in reference to the other thread asking that question so.. someone is.

tennisbum79
Jun 17th, 2010, 01:59 AM
If Dani was, her career summary could look like

Kind Biographer:
Daniela was a wonderful, well liked, even temper driver.
She was consistently in the top 20 at big races and top 5 at small ones/
She never had a crash nor came in last in a race in entire career; she was always in the comfortable middle.

Mean Biographer
Daniela had an average, cautious, unexciting career.
Although she has never crashed nor come last in major race, she never managed to win a single race.
She was content to stay where she has always been comfortable and unratlled: in the middle.
Fearless, daring rookie drivers would pass and get all the glory, it did not matter to Daniela.
As long she did not crash, she did not come in last and she finished the race in the top 20.
In this, she was a fixture in the middle: the home of the anonymous.
Only the insiders of the sports bother to follow her career and stats.
At big event she gradully builds the sympathy of the crowd as she goes deep in the race, yet, the crowd has never managed to across the finish line, first.

And at the next big tournament, same script.

Otlichno
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:16 AM

Kind Biographer:
She never had a crash nor came in last in a race in entire career; she was always in the comfortable middle.

Mean Biographer
Although she has never crashed nor come last in major race, she never managed to win a single race.
She was content to stay where she has always been comfortable and unratlled: in the middle.
Fearless, daring rookie drivers would pass and get all the glory, it did not matter to Daniela.
As long she did not crash, she did not come in last and she finished the race in the top 20.
At big event she gradully builds the sympathy of the crowd as she goes deep in the race, yet, the crowd has never managed to across the finish line, first.

:hysteric:

NyCPsU
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:20 AM

Kind Biographer:

Mean Biographer

Wtf is this? :unsure:

Alizé Molik
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM
this match was a mess, from start to finish.

Neither of them adjusted to the wind at all in the first set. Stosur was a mess, when she gets pulled out wide she can't get the ball back on the court. at all. ever. In spite of this, Dani decided to hit it back to her, or out. Her coach needs to tell her she doesn't have the strength to pull a ball back in down the line when she's wide of the doubles alley..especially not on a windy day. There was one game in the third set where Stosur started slicing, and got to 40-0 doing that, which was preferable to her other tactic, of hitting her bh into the bottom of the net. One smart game out of a 2 hour match isn't particularly inspiring but beggars/chosers. To be fair though, those saying "her serve won it for her" yes it did, but that's not some cheap win, to beat Sam you have to take your chances on bp and play smart..Dani didn't.

claypova
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
well done sam :bigclap: