PDA

View Full Version : Does Wimbledon Need Lights?

OohZuzana
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I wrote about it today at The Daily Forehand (http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2010/6/15/1518710/sunlight-more-of-an-issue-in), but I wanted to bring it up here to get reactions from this (predominantly younger) audience.

Do you think that Wimbledon (and Roland Garros) need to add lights? With all the technology available these days, is calling a match due to darkness still acceptable?

And why are European tournaments so resistant to lights in general? The only ones I can think of that use them are Rome and Madrid, whereas EVERY North American and Australian (and maybe even Asian) tournament has 'em. :confused:

danieln1
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Last year the lights on center court were used, and they were great...

But for all other courts, including Roland Garros, obviously they should put lights on, because stopping a match because of darkness nowadays is beyond ridiculous

aussie_fan
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Little thing called dew, courts will get too slippery if they played at night and get wrecked. Centre Court only works because it has the whole air filterations sytem. So it's impossible.

Roland Garros on the hand, that i do not udnerstand.

Rix643
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM
No. It needs a giant umbrella.

duhcity
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Grass at night would be a nightmare. Only if it's enclosed (ex. Centre Court)

Now..Roland Garros. Why the fuck do they not have lights?

darrinbaker00
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Grass at night would be a nightmare. Only if it's enclosed (ex. Centre Court)

Because the players and officials would be there by themselves, that's why. There are a couple of things to do in Paris at night besides watch tennis, you know.

The 2nd Law
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Because the players and officials would be there by themselves, that's why. There are a couple of things to do in Paris at night besides watch tennis, you know.

Lol! And there isn't in Melbourne, or NEW YORK?

duhcity
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM

I'm positive that if they sold night tickets, people would pay.
Plus a night match on Arthur Ashe is an amazing experience. I can imagine it'd be the same in Paris

tennnisfannn
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM
It is so much easier to being play @ 11.00am

OohZuzana
Jun 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Duh, hadn't thought of the dew issue :o

But is it really bad that soon after sunset?

Mightymirza
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Bring on the night sessions :rocker2: :)

tievae
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
They're trying to save money. :angel:

jimbo mack
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
the french open yes

wimbledon, i guess they can't because of the dew as discussed above, but at least centre court can now. hopefully court 1 & new court 2 can one day

doujyr
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Don't forget also that the hours of daylight in late August/early Sept are much less. Flushing Meadow would really struggle if they didn't have night sessions.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Rezai will bring some with her.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Don't forget also that the hours of daylight in late August/early Sept are much less. Flushing Meadow would really struggle if they didn't have night sessions.

This !!!!!!!!

Paris sunset is around 10pm during RG. NY is about 7.30pm

Slutiana
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Lol! And there isn't in Melbourne, or NEW YORK?
:happy: