PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Hantuchova a top 10 player? What's going on with her?

Sammo
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hi! I've been noticing that since the 2008 Australian Open SF defeat to Ivanovic after leading 6-0 2-0 Daniela hasn't been the same mentally talking, I mean she was doing horrible back in late 2008 early 2009 and since then she looks to be playing better, but, do you guys think that she'll be again as mentally tough as she was some time ago? She's one of my faves and her defeat to Ivanovic was horrible for me!!

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM
:bigcry:
:sobbing::bigcry:
:sobbing:
She got injured during her best form after IW in 08.
She just hasnt gotten back to her best yet. She had a very
strong clay season, considering her inability to move and
play on it
:bigcry:
:sobbing:

narutos
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Do you rezlly think being top 10 means sth these days, Pushniacki is N3 and she is losing against anyone.
PushAga is also useless.

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM
She has a top 10 game but doesn't have the head to be a top 10 player all the time and contesting for the GS all the time

Sammo
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Which is even worse if such a player like Daniela isn't in the top 10 while such inferior players like Wozniacki are.

Matt01
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Which is even worse if such a player like Daniela isn't in the top 10 while such inferior players like Wozniacki are.

Wozniacki is very good mentally, that's the difference.

Larrybidd
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Why is Dani a better player than Caro? Because she hits the ball harder? LOL Tennis fans...

BournemouthBoy
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
how can you compare Dani with Woz, they are in differnt leagues!!!

The Dawntreader
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM
That foot injury slowed down any kind of momentum she had in early '08.

Has taken a long time physically to get back, never mind mentally.

Mina Vagante
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I don't think she has a top 10 game.

Her shots look like they're floating in the air and it looks like she moves in slow motion.

Andreas
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Do you know how many games Hantuchova got in two encounters with Wozniacki? The answer is 8 (61 63 and 62 62) Both meetings are from before Caro cracked the top 10.

Hantuchova has no business in top 10. She's a decent player, but she is not even close being amongst the 10 best players.

Ellery
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM

:lol:

Sammo
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hantuchova usually breadsticks the likes of Henin and Mauresmo while practicing, although she's bad mentally, which means problems for real matches. Wozniacki is a mediocre player although she is good mentally.

JJ Expres
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
wozniacki is the most popular person on this board.every single thread is about here :)

Mic-190286
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I just don't think Dani is a top 10 player, not that she can't play like one, but she just can't do it consistently. Plus she very rarely has big wins and it's not like she can surprise the top players, they all know how to beat her!

I have been wondering why she isn't in the top 20 though, and i realised that although she is definately playing like a top 20 player she's had no really good tournaments where she has outperformed. She needs a couple to give her enough points to make the jump, so she can get seeded regularly and maintain the ranking.

Sammo
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Two times Indian Wells champion, as I know Wozniacki hasn't won a Tier I title yet has she?

Yorker
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
She had a bad 2009, 2010 has been pretty good, for daniela, it's all about confidence. I don't think you'll see her in the top 10 again, top 15 maybe. I do think she's better than what her ranking is right now but she's inconsistent. Plus she usually gets hard draws in the slams minus this year's RG and that AO semi she reached. she'll probably end up with a williams at wimbledon like she does basically every year.

klever58
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
She had a bad 2009, 2010 has been pretty good, for daniela, it's all about confidence. I don't think you'll see her in the top 10 again, top 15 maybe. I do think she's better than what her ranking is right now but she's inconsistent. Plus she usually gets hard draws in the slams minus this year's RG and that AO semi she reached. she'll probably end up with a williams at wimbledon like she does basically every year.

this.. it will depend on draw, because Wimby is Daniela's favourite tourney... she can go deep to draw, but when she will face WS in 3R, she won't pass it... but I think that Dani belongs to top20, but she is so inconsistent.. and her dominance in IW has gone (maybe 2012?)... well, I will be so happy, if she make top10, but to be honest... I don't think its gonna happen...:sad:

Slutati
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, Daniela has no brain.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I love Hantuchova's game, its so nice and elegant :lol:

I wish she was Top 10.

hingisGOAT
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hantuchova's game is barely top 20 let alone top 10. She's across the board very average with poor movement and a weak mentality.

Agreed. She is slower than a turtle and weak mentally and physically. Hantuchova sucks so much that I consider Hingis' record against her to be the most disgraceful of all her head-to-heads (plus 0-1 Radwanska); truly embarassing

Wiggly
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Daniela would be very good if :

1. She knew how to move.
2. She had some mental strenght.
3. Her concentration span wasn't red fish-like.

Richie's
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately, Daniela has no brain.

Have to agree. Daniela was never competitive.

Otlichno
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Agreed. She is slower than a turtle and weak mentally and physically. Hantuchova sucks so much that I consider Hingis' record against her to be the most disgraceful of all her head-to-heads (plus 0-1 Radwanska); truly embarassing

Hingis had this to say about Daniela's game " I think my game suits her quite a bit.".

But of course, you know so much more about the game of tennis than Martina herself so you're opinion of Hantuchova's game is much more accurate! :rolleyes:

Nicolás89
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
2003 happened. :sad:

Nicolás89
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hantuchova's game is barely top 20 let alone top 10. She's across the board very average with poor movement and a weak mentality.

The girl has the timing of a swiss watch though.

Slutati
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM
kZLw42LNeGE

:tears: She was soooooo good!

Inger67
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hantuchova usually breadsticks the likes of Henin and Mauresmo while practicing, although she's bad mentally, which means problems for real matches. Wozniacki is a mediocre player although she is good mentally.

And there is record of this? What the eff does this even show? Anyone can be good in practice, it's FREE hitting. But she can't apply that in a match and what does that say about her? She doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, flat out.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
The girl has the timing of a swiss watch though.

:hearts: So true

Dave.
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hantuchova did well to get back there in 2007/8 tbh. Her game is not top 10 material anymore, it's far from just a mental thing.

Infiniti2001
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Daniela would be very good if :

1. She knew how to move.
2. She had some mental strenght.
3. Her concentration span wasn't red fish-like.

4. She walked like she were actually on a tennis court and not a runway . :help:

OsloErik
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:27 PM
She's not young anymore, she's not an elite power player like she once was, her serve isn't as good as most of the top 10 players, and she's slow. She had a limited window to succeed in the top 10 and it has passed.

Rollo
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Daniella has always been more of a top twenty perennial than top tenner because while she does everthing well she has no real weapons like most top tenners. In addition she's mentally fragile.

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM
She's been consistently very weak mentally. And very inconsistent tennistically.

LightWarrior
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM
she has no real weapons like most top tenners.

Wrong, her forehand is a deadly weapon when she's on. But somehow she's mentally very inconsistent. I thought that she had a very promising future when she won Idian Wells first time. But then I thought the same about Azarenka when she won Miami last year.

MisterMan
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:30 AM
It's all about consistency. In any given tournement, she can either crash out in the 1st round OR make the semi's or final. It's like a 50/50 chance. She def has the game for a top 10 but it's all in her head. There's NO reason she shoulda lost to JJ at the French after beating her the past two times on CLAY and playing great. she just can not play in the big moments. ever.

duhcity
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM
On the WTA, weapons don't matter if you're not mentally strong

There are those players (like Caro or 07 JJ) who were always around and had to be beaten, and they succeeded because most of the tour would beat themselves. If Dani isn't playing well, she'll beat herself.

So Disrespectful
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Daniela can take the ball extremely early, she can deflect pace well, she has fantastic drive volleys, better conventional volleys than most top 20 players, very accurate down the line shots, effective short angles. In fact, I think she has some of the best timing and racquet head control on tour at the moment.

If people can only see that she's a poor mover and that her power is moderate, then they obviously don't understand the game.

Her biggest problem is her mentality, but I also believe that her personal struggles in 2003 offset her development and lowered her potential.

Leo_DFP
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-GZLuiDzwk

See highlights. Hantuchova used to be so much better, gosh. What an unbelievable collapse. In 2002 she had such easy power on that backhand side.

Leo_DFP
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Daniela can take the ball extremely early, she can deflect pace well, she has fantastic drive volleys, better conventional volleys than most top 20 players, very accurate down the line shots, effective short angles. In fact, I think she has some of the best timing and racquet head control on tour at the moment.

If people can only see that she's a poor mover and that her power is moderate, then they obviously don't understand the game.

Relatively good technique and timing, yes, but such terrible shot selection.

Roookie
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:29 AM
An enigma. She's got the talent..but not the mental strenght.

fervor
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Relatively good technique and timing, yes, but such terrible shot selection.

What looks like poor shot selection is just her being super aggressive and going for winners. She really likes going for the lines, so if she is playing well, she can make some crazy winners. Unfortunately, if she is just a little bit off, this strategy no longer works.

It would be better for her if she was more patient sometimes and try to construct points better. Unfortunately, being patient and having relatively poor movement is not a good combination.

Volcana
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:03 AM
When she was a top ten player, she gotta sucked into the fashion crap, and lost a LOT of weight. She's since gained it back, but it really wrecked her game at the time. The other thing is, she not that fast, nor does she serve big. So her serve gets broken, and even when she's in control of a point, it only takes one well placed groundie to wrest control away from her. Then it's her running from side to side, and that isn't where she excels.

The tour learns the players. And if you have a glaring weakness, they find it. And if it's something you can't really correct, like lack of footspeed, and you don;t have the tools to make up for it in other facets of your game ....

moby
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Daniela can take the ball extremely early, she can deflect pace well, she has fantastic drive volleys, better conventional volleys than most top 20 players, very accurate down the line shots, effective short angles. In fact, I think she has some of the best timing and racquet head control on tour at the moment.The thing is, timing and racket head control are the first things to go when you get tight. And if that's what you're relying on to be competitive in matches, you will lose a lot of matches even if you're just average mentally, and Daniela is not even average.

Players who have good movement are mentally stronger because speed doesn't go away. They can afford to play some kind of defence/push when they are in trouble.

The other point is that Daniela is not just slow. She makes Lindsay look... fast sometimes. That's quite difficult. And she doesn't even have the anticipation needed to make up for her poor movement.

miffedmax
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Daniela has never been consistent enough to be a true Top 10 player.

Seriously, even Dementieva fans are like "Well, it could be worse, I could be a Hantuchova fan."

skanky~skanketta
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Pity because she has a pretty game. Decent serve, wonderful touch and a fluid backhand. Her forehand is average and her movement is mediocre. Her mental-strength was actually pretty good when she started out, but has dissipated. I put this down to the pressure of expectations, her weight problems and of course injuries.

One of her worst matches was against Serena at Wimbledon 07. I mean, she was playing pretty ok, and then Serena got injured. God knows what happened to Daniela because all she had to do was play her game and just keep the ball in play. Serena could barely serve and almost crippled out there and Dani still managed to get broken twice, if I'm not mistaken, in the final set.

And then there was that AO semifinal match. 6-0 2-0 up and a total collapse. What's unfortunate is that there are no more expectations, injuries or weight issues so it's pretty clear that it's the pressure that she places upon herself that makes her choke a bit.

Still, she's one of the few players who has actually won mixed doubles at ALL the slams. I think this shows that when she has a partner on court, they allow her to relax a bit, giving her the chance to swing a little more freely.

pav
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Because her game, skill, intelligence, health and fitness,mental attitude, luck in drawing opponents, and even, according to some bloody ever ongoing ads, choice of feminine products, dictates her ranking in the scheme of things.

duhcity
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:49 AM
You know, if on court coaching had been around when Daniela started, her career may have panned out differently.

I know, no on-court coaching at the slams, but I feel like a little momentum from tour matches may have been what she needed at the slams.

Wiggly
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:52 AM
If Cahill was with her 24/7, she would be very good.

When he's around, she stops that pushing/moonballing crap that she now do quite often and really goes for her shots, which is the only way for her to win matches.

This year, she's been more aggressive against the top players and she got some nice wins. She won't hurt anobody with those slow-paced down-the-middle shots. I still don't understand how she made the final in Monterrey with that strategy.

DualMedia
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:24 AM
very inconsistant! great player!

fervor
Jun 16th, 2010, 06:04 AM
A problem with figuring her out is that it's hard to tell whether she's inconsistent because of her mental weakness or she's mentally weak because she's inconsistent. I hope that makes sense.

Her game is inherently risky. She aims for lines and tries for difficult shots far more than she should. It doesn't take a lot to shake her mentally enough to put her off her game.

In any case, I think this is why I like her. In my mind, she's always the underdog and I usually root for the underdog.

toxina90
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Because she's a headcase :shrug:

She has the game for top 10 though.

Graf~Dokic
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
She easily has the game for the top 10 at the very least, but she is too inconsistent and often loses to players she shouldn't lose to.

toxina90
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Seriously, even Dementieva fans are like "Well, it could be worse, I could be a Hantuchova fan."

The pain is unbearable.

Libertango
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
1. She's never been mentally strong. That OZ semi v Ana basically did what mental strength she had, in.
2. She doesn't have the confidence she had at 19 - or the power.
3. She's not exactly a textbook mover.
4. She has no B game whatsoever. No, i know lots of players don't, but the problem is now, Plan A isn't as good as it was say, three years ago, and it has such little margin for error that everything has to be working perfectly for her to be really successful. Hence such inconsistency.

On her day, she has the game to be top ten IMO, but I think she's missed her chance. Besides, loads of players are potentially top ten in practice.

Josh.
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
To sum it up simply: SO many reasons.

fervor
Jun 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Let's be clear about one thing though. She has been a top player for years now. She is very good, but at the top of the women's game, relatively minor differences can make a major impact on a player's success.

Oh...Another problem is that she is a tour veteran. EVERYONE knows her game and her weaknesses. Everyone has had plenty of time to figure out how to beat her.

Libertango
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:11 AM
When did she change her serve?! How have I not noticed this before?! :tape:

Sharapowerr
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I like Daniela , imo she does have a better game than a few players that are in the top 10, let s say Wozniacki, Schiavone and Radwanska , but mentally she is very weak. but overall in think she is a good top 20 player, top 10 at her peak.

Acinolbaj
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM
:lol: at comparing Wozniacki and hantuchova with two Tier´s 1.

When Daniela is on fire, she is Top 10 player. But mentally she is not so strong to be so good permanently.

:lol: at Daniela has no brain.

She has brain. Have you ever seen her playing? her angles and shots are one of the best on the tour. she change her game, her shots all the angles. her playing is not stereotype. she knows how to play.

Marionated
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry but she has some of the worst records against top players EVER.

chuvack
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Start a thread about why Hant isn't a top player and you are guaranteed to get minimum of 40 morons post in reply about her "mental frailties".

Hant's overall failure to be Top 10 has NOTHING to do with mental frailty and everything to do with her lack of court speed and lousy footwork. The OP said she only sucked since AO '08, but infact she has sucked since early 2003, i.e. almost her entire career. There is nothing to discuss here.

ce
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Start a thread about why Hant isn't a top player and you are guaranteed to get minimum of 40 morons post in reply about her "mental frailties".

Hant's overall failure to be Top 10 has NOTHING to do with mental frailty and everything to do with her lack of court speed and lousy footwork. The OP said she only sucked since AO '08, but infact she has sucked since early 2003, i.e. almost her entire career. There is nothing to discuss here.

this.
she had 1 good year, got to number 5, won Indian Wells that year, Fed Cup, but from 2003 she isnt top 10 material
she did get to AO 1/2 in 2008 though

Otlichno
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Yes Daniela has awful foot speed, but footwork? Have you watched her play?

Matt01
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yes Daniela has awful foot speed, but footwork? Have you watched her play?

I don't think that clueless poster has ever seen a match that involved Hantuchova.

leebeasy
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Most posters here see the name Hantuchova and automatically spit out poor movement and mental frailties regardless of how she is playing, just boring really I would rather read a more intelligent discussion.

chuvack
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I don't think that clueless poster has ever seen a match that involved Hantuchova.

If I were you, sonny, I would NEVER call anyone else clueless about tennis before taking a long look in the mirror.

Matt01
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
If I were you, sonny, I would NEVER call anyone else clueless about tennis before taking a long look in the mirror.

Ouch, that did hurt :lol:

matty
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Do you know how many games Hantuchova got in two encounters with Wozniacki? The answer is 8 (61 63 and 62 62) Both meetings are from before Caro cracked the top 10.

Hantuchova has no business in top 10. She's a decent player, but she is not even close being amongst the 10 best players.

I've heard a few very respected retired pro commentators say that Hantuchova never lived up to her true potential---and that she should be ranked higher. Hantuchova's a headcase and freezes up under the smallest amount of pressure. And if there isn't any presuure coming from the "outside" she'll put needless pressure on herself. Besides, she's been ranked as high as #5, so she's got more than "decent" game.

$uricate
Jun 17th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Why is everyone bashing Dani again?

I really ought to go through this thread and badrep everyone :p

Im biased but Dani does have a top ten game. Sure her brain isn't the best but its her movement that really hurts her. Its not even that she's slow she gives up on so many balls. I've lost count of the number of matches where I've been screaming at the tv when she decides its too far away when its not.

She has a great serve, groundstrokes and she knows how to construct a point :drool:

The first 8 games against JJ at Roland Garros really show her true potential, then the rest of the match shows the reality. Something happens to her, she is fine when she is control but as soon as shes not she falls apart mentally.

:speakles:

We're finished :sobbing:

1. She's never been mentally strong. That OZ semi v Ana basically did what mental strength she had, in.
2. She doesn't have the confidence she had at 19 - or the power.
3. She's not exactly a textbook mover.
4. She has no B game whatsoever. No, i know lots of players don't, but the problem is now, Plan A isn't as good as it was say, three years ago, and it has such little margin for error that everything has to be working perfectly for her to be really successful. Hence such inconsistency.

On her day, she has the game to be top ten IMO, but I think she's missed her chance. Besides, loads of players are potentially top ten in practice.

I agree with everything here apart from that, Dani tries lots of things. Definately better than most in this aspect.

shoparound
Jun 18th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Why does everyone like Dani so much? or thinks she is so good? She usually ends up losing to an elite player

Cakeisgood
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Movement is a pathetic excuse. Maria Sharapova is a horrid mover with worse footwork and look how far she got.
It really does come down to what's between the ears, and it's a pity because I LOVE her game. It's so rhythmic and smooth, from the serve to the strokes.

All things considered though, she isn't a top 10 player because she doesn't play like one on even a semi-regular basis. In her entire career, she has basically had two solid years and that's it. To be honest, she's super fortunate to have peaked within the top 5 at a point.

Josh.
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Movement is a pathetic excuse. Maria Sharapova is a horrid mover with worse footwork and look how far she got.
It really does come down to what's between the ears, and it's a pity because I LOVE her game. It's so rhythmic and smooth, from the serve to the strokes.

All things considered though, she isn't a top 10 player because she doesn't play like one on even a semi-regular basis. In her entire career, she has basically had two solid years and that's it. To be honest, she's super fortunate to have peaked within the top 5 at a point.

No, it is. Maria is a much better mover then Daniela, both side to side and forward and back.

EDIT: I think the only time Daniela looks to have average movement is when she is confident and reading the game well (ie 07-early 08)

LudwigDvorak
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I'm just so in awe of how many posters are deluded enough to say Hantuchova has a top 10 game. Just look at her more than embarrassing matches and statistics against basically everyone who has been at the top of the game.

She's a very average player.

Josh.
Jun 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
^ I swear you used to like Hantuchova. Or are you just being realistic?

Cakeisgood
Jun 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
^ I swear you used to like Hantuchova. Or are you just being realistic?

:lol::lol::lol:

Richie's
Jun 18th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hands down from Hantuchova. :shout::hysteric::crying2:

:boxing:

Hian
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Wozniacki is very good mentally, that's the difference.

Wozniacki is a pusher, that's the difference.

Matt01
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Wozniacki is a pusher, that's the difference.

And that makes her more successful? :lol:

rockstar
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM
i think many people overrate daniela's potential because she has such a beautiful game. kinda like gasquet?

Wiggly
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
And that makes her more successful? :lol:

Your chances of choking are way higher when you're going for a winner at 4-4 in the decider rather than moonballing in the middle of the court.

Derek.
Jun 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm just so in awe of how many posters are deluded enough to say Hantuchova has a top 10 game. Just look at her more than embarrassing matches and statistics against basically everyone who has been at the top of the game.

She's a very average player.

Because an average player has two Tier I titles, reached No.5 in singles and doubles, GS SF, and three GS QF; + 4 GS mixed titles. :lol:

I'm not saying she's a top ten player, but she's certainly not "average".

matty
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
And there is record of this? What the eff does this even show? Anyone can be good in practice, it's FREE hitting. But she can't apply that in a match and what does that say about her? She doesn't deserve to be in the top 10, flat out.

If she gets to or got to (2002) the top 10, then she deserves it. She is not lacking in talent--instead, it's often her brain (lack of confidence) that causes her to lose matches. FLAT OUT. Period. End of story.

matty
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Pity because she has a pretty game. Decent serve, wonderful touch and a fluid backhand. Her forehand is average and her movement is mediocre. Her mental-strength was actually pretty good when she started out, but has dissipated. I put this down to the pressure of expectations, her weight problems and of course injuries.

One of her worst matches was against Serena at Wimbledon 07. I mean, she was playing pretty ok, and then Serena got injured. God knows what happened to Daniela because all she had to do was play her game and just keep the ball in play. Serena could barely serve and almost crippled out there and Dani still managed to get broken twice, if I'm not mistaken, in the final set.

And then there was that AO semifinal match. 6-0 2-0 up and a total collapse. What's unfortunate is that there are no more expectations, injuries or weight issues so it's pretty clear that it's the pressure that she places upon herself that makes her choke a bit.

Still, she's one of the few players who has actually won mixed doubles at ALL the slams. I think this shows that when she has a partner on court, they allow her to relax a bit, giving her the chance to swing a little more freely.

:worship: You understand her so well--she puts pressure on herself--she is like a scared little girl--she doesn't naturally have that killer instinct to finish opponents off. Introverts are often like this (Ivanovic)

Richie's
Jun 18th, 2010, 04:06 PM
After all,

Daniela totaly deserved to be in Top 10 back in 2002-2003 and 2007-2008. No one can say the opposite.

Daniela isn't in Top 10 because all these years she just havn't any chance... Please just have a look to Radwanska's draws, opponents and how lucky she is, as well as Pushniacki.

I guess Daniela will be back in Top 10 at the last stages of her carrer. She just need a little help form LUCK!

spotsyboy
Jun 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe it's because she's not playing doubles anymore......
It always seemed like she played better when part of a duet.........
and I think the doubles practice probably helped her singles game a great deal.....
also, in trying to eliminate any pressure on her to achieve great things (especially since the days when all people talked about was her weight), she seems to have turned so "mellow" that she doesn't really care as much whether she wins or loses......
just my opinion...... :)

Acinolbaj
Jun 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Serena in QF of Wimbledon in 2002
(Venus in 3rd round of Wimbledon in 2005)
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2007
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2009
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2010

(and i still not count the US open matches against Williams´)

is this still possible? even this year? :spit::sobbing:

it´s impossible for Daniela win a bigger tournaments with those draws.

but at least, Dani is losing to eventual champions like to Masha in 2004.

Josh.
Jun 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Serena in QF of Wimbledon in 2002
(Venus in 3rd round of Wimbledon in 2005)
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2007
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2009
Serena in 4th round of Wimbledon in 2010

(and i still not count the US open matches against Williams´)

is this still possible? even this year? :spit::sobbing:

it´s impossible for Daniela win a bigger tournaments with those draws.

but at least, Dani is losing to eventual champions like to Masha in 2004.

:hysteric::sobbing::hysteric::sobbing::hysteric:

poulao
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
It seems to be a fine line with Dani. She will at some point in a match make more UE's, she seems to Me having trouble coming back from that, sometimes, I mean, she has played good tennis and some good matches this year. :)

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
A lot of posters have nailed it already but I also think her serve has something to do with it. I remember 2002~ when she used to serve the majority of her first serves around 110 and her second serve wasn't much weaker. She has lost a good 10-15mph on her serve and her placement is nowhere near as good.

sammy01
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
dani's biggest problem is she moves like a sloth. to move at the speed she does you need to have a strike on the ball like davenport or pierce, and as nice a ball striker as dani is she just isn't in their sort of league.

monmonito
Jun 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
well most of the post here were right..
she serve well...her forehand is amazing,,,her strokes are great...when she's on fire, amazing games for Dani...
her movement is ok but she's a little bit slow..

the only thing she lost is her fighting spirit...

well look at Schiavone she's 29 but stil make it...

well as a fan i'm stll hoping she will a another great run a tournament wins...
i think she should focus on lower tier tournaments...

Beny
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Daniela has shown some signs of her best form this year but it´s not been enough. She could/should have beaten Venus in Miami. She fucked up the match. That win would have given her confidence etc etc...but she´s been average except for some wins. She really should play better because she can play better.
If she doesnt re-peak at this year´s US Open she is pretty much lost.

Beny
Jun 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
A lot of posters have nailed it already but I also think her serve has something to do with it. I remember 2002~ when she used to serve the majority of her first serves around 110 and her second serve wasn't much weaker. She has lost a good 10-15mph on her serve and her placement is nowhere near as good.

This!

I always see it in kph..and back in 2002-3 she used to serve 180s regularly. Look at the way she served at IW 02.

These days she struggles to get past 167 kph :help:
She is only serving at 160s these days. Thats very weak. She needs her old serve back

SymphonyX
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Doesn't really matter IMO. She's a journeyman, rather, journeywoman, in my book. Daniela's even doing much better than Ivanovic these days. I still can't believe she was the top ranked player two years ago. I just hope poor Ana doesn't end up Vaidisova's path.