PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Feels That Maria Should Dump Michael Joyce For Someone Like Brad Gilbert?

meteor
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
i'm a die hard maria fan, but even i have to admit the present combo is broken. whatever the true nature of maria's injury, it is ultimately in joyce's job description to get her big wins, and he's not getting it done. on the flip side, i would love to find out what a no-nonsense (there's no way maria can pull any diva crap with him) guy like gilbert could bring to the table; after all, he worked wonders for agassi and roddick.

i don't know, i just think a coaching change is needed, and gilbert could be the right guy. would love to get your thoughts :).

LightWarrior
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I don't even think Joyce is coach material. After all he was just her hitting partner when her father was her coach. Yeah she needs to dump him.

DualMedia
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
imo, maria need Anita Miracle Tuhelpameh Winimatch! best coach ever!

darrinbaker00
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:09 AM
i'm a die hard maria fan, but even i have to admit the present combo is broken. whatever the true nature of maria's injury, it is ultimately in joyce's job description to get her big wins, and he's not getting it done. on the flip side, i would love to find out what a no-nonsense (there's no way maria can pull any diva crap with him) guy like gilbert could bring to the table; after all, he worked wonders for agassi and roddick.

i don't know, i just think a coaching change is needed, and gilbert could be the right guy. would love to get your thoughts :).
Richard Williams and Oracene Price will remarry before Brad Gilbert ever coaches a female player. That's what I think about it.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Richard Williams and Oracene Price will remarry before Brad Gilbert ever coaches a female player. That's what I think about it.

Gilbert has already coached Mary Pierce in 1996(?) or around there. You are wrong.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM

i don't get it :confused:. has he expressed a distaste for the wta ever? besides, there's big money involved here.

DimaDinosaur
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Brad Gilbert is dumb. Maria should refuse this.

darrinbaker00
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Gilbert has already coached Mary Pierce in 1996(?) or around there. You are wrong.
If you are so sure, why the question mark? Besides, Gilbert was with Andre Agassi from 1994-2002. Try again, please.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Brad Gilbert is dumb. Maria should refuse this.

he also got roddick his only slam, and revitalized agassi's career.

Slutati
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I think he coached Tati for a little while too.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I like Brad Gilbert. He answers my questions on twitter. I asked him about Lansdorp and strings, and other stuff.

I think Maria's best surface is hardcourt, and I want to see her game this summer.
I thought her groundstrokes were not consistent against Kirilenko and Jie, but that's only 2 matches. If she is comfortable with Joyce, thats very important also.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Maria should definitely get some other help.

I don't think Gilbert's the answer. I think Cahill is probably a better fit. He seems to know more about the "X and O's" of the game and seems to have a temperament better suited to coaching the Women's game.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I like Brad Gilbert. He answers my questions on twitter. I asked him about Lansdorp and strings, and other stuff.

I think Maria's best surface is hardcourt, and I want to see her game this summer.
I thought her groundstrokes were not consistent against Kirilenko and Jie, but that's only 2 matches. If she is comfortable with Joyce, thats very important also.

the problem is, she seems to be TOO comfortable with him. i think she needs to be challenged again. gilbert's hardline attitude, imo, makes him the right guy for that job.

NeoZod19
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I'm sooooooo on board!! It's so f*cking time to look for someone else!:mad:
But since they've like brother/sister so she may never dumb him. However, If he cares for her he should peharps resign.

gc-spurs
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:53 AM
go back to Joyce as the hitting partner and get another coach. Add someone else in. I doubt she'd be able to fully dump Michael.

darrinbaker00
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:54 AM

I don't think Gilbert's the answer. I think Cahill is probably a better fit. He seems to know more about the "X and O's" of the game and seems to have a temperament better suited to coaching the Women's game.
Cahill works for Team Adidas. Sharapova is Nike's $70 million Golden Girl. Richard and Oracene will remarry AND have another child before that happens.

Vartan
Jun 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Cahill works for Team Adidas. Sharapova is Nike's $70 million Golden Girl. Richard and Oracene will remarry AND have another child before that happens.

:lol::lol::lol:

doni1212
Jun 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM

:lol:

Vincey!
Jun 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I agree, Joyce is not a coach material at all, at least not at that level....I would love to see Maria working with a real coach for few months, maybe not firing Joyce since they have a nice friendship but at least to see what it could give her. Maria has been told that she had one plan, and a one dimensional game, I don't think she does anymore, but still I think a real new coach would help her alot.

Honestly, I don't think Maria needs a real coach travelling with her, but at home a real tennis coach would be a nice addition to her team.

Ryan
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I agree with this. Cahill seems like one of the premier coaches to me - I love his commentating, and think he would be a great fit with Maria (or many other WTA players actually).

Andy.
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I wouldnt mind is Joyce stayed as her travelling coach but I would love to see her work with Landsdorp again part time.

tennisforadults
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Sharapova needs to take Yuri back. Alright just kidding. ;)

tonybotz
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
i think gilbert would be brilliant for Maria. at this point, she needs to learn how to win ugly, because too often she's losing ugly.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:42 AM
i think gilbert would be brilliant for Maria. at this point, she needs to learn how to win ugly, because too often she's losing ugly.

exactly!

friendsita
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:47 AM
i hate michael, Masha should dump him!

LudwigDvorak
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:06 AM
If you are so sure, why the question mark? Besides, Gilbert was with Andre Agassi from 1994-2002. Try again, please.

Stupidity looks good on you.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/brad-gilbert-mr-motivator-finds-his-niche-calling-the-shots-for-champions-551849.html

With each tournament that passes, Gilbert says he is becoming a better coach. "And you know what else has made me a better coach?" It is a rhetorical question, his favourite kind. "Coaching girls. I worked with [Mary] Pierce briefly in '96, and I have been working with [Tatiana] Golovin, and before I think I was too sexist. I didn't appreciate the women's game. But coaching girls, as well as having two of my own, taught me to think about what I had to work with, helped me to understand the game even better. Because girls can't just serve aces. That makes you focus more on what else you can do to help them to keep improving."

AcesHigh
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:11 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/brad-gilbert-mr-motivator-finds-his-niche-calling-the-shots-for-champions-551849.html

I don't think Brad has ever given any longterm coaching to women.

That makes it seems like he was doing less work than even a part-time coach. Brad is not going to leave the broadcast booth to work with any female players. He could do something in an advising capacity but can't see him doing more.

darrinbaker00
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:17 AM

I've been proven wrong by a perfect stranger on an Internet message board! Life is no longer worth living! GOODBYE, CRUEL WORLD!! :armed:

Roookie
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
bring Yuri back!

narutos
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:16 AM
bring Yuri back!

this. But Joyce is fine Maria knows what is good for her.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't think Brad has ever given any longterm coaching to women.

That makes it seems like he was doing less work than even a part-time coach. Brad is not going to leave the broadcast booth to work with any female players. He could do something in an advising capacity but can't see him doing more.

yeah, but what if img and nike get involved? if gilbert still says no, he's leaving a lot of money on the table. just saying.

ZODIAC
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
the only person that pova needs as coach is her father,he seemed to motivate her better than Joyce.Yuri was good for her and since she dumped him she has not won a slam or big event.
Gilbert is not good for pova especially when she has injury problems due to serve,everybody knows Brad s emphasis is big serve.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM
the only person that pova needs as coach is her father,he seemed to motivate her better than Joyce.Yuri was good for her and since she dumped him she has not won a slam or big event.
Gilbert is not good for pova especially when she has injury problems due to serve,everybody knows Brad s emphasis is big serve.

not quite; she won tokyo last year without yuri's help. at any rate, i don't think yuri was ever her coach. i think he was more of a cheerleader.

ZODIAC
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
not quite; she won tokyo last year without yuri's help. at any rate, i don't think yuri was ever her coach. i think he was more of a cheerleader.maybe motivation is what she needs most now,she seems to have lost confidence and is hiding at MM events and loses when she meets the top players.:tape:

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
maybe motivation is what she needs most now,she seems to have lost confidence and is hiding at MM events and loses when she meets the top players.:tape:

well, that's kind of my rationale with gilbert. he's tough as nails and should be able to push her in a new direction, and really challenge and motivate her. i think joyce is just too "nice".

madmax
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
what she needs is to calm down when she is playing good players and get her mind together in slams - she started almost flawlessly against Na in Birmingham, hitting blazing winners left and right. When Na started playing better, her groundies and serve suddenly went AWOL and she was struggling mightily on Na's serve too...this extreme fluctuation of form can only be explained by confidence issues - she needs to believe in herself when playing Top players and stop chickening out to challenges

gc-spurs
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:16 AM
^maybe she needs oudin's believe shoes

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I think the reason she never really had anyone else because she's really close with Joyce and he's part of her family now. I do think it'll be a good idea to get help and still remain a strong relationship with Joyce, but maybe she doesn't feel comfortable getting coached by someone else and it'll probably affect her game. But I don't know really.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM
^maybe she needs oudin's believe shoes

she definitely does NOT need those :o.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
what she needs is to calm down when she is playing good players and get her mind together in slams - she started almost flawlessly against Na in Birmingham, hitting blazing winners left and right. When Na started playing better, her groundies and serve suddenly went AWOL and she was struggling mightily on Na's serve too...this extreme fluctuation of form can only be explained by confidence issues - she needs to believe in herself when playing Top players and stop chickening out to challenges

again, she seems incapable of sorting these confidence issues out by herself right now. or, to put it another way, joyce seems incapable of doing so. hence, the need for a coaching change.

Aravanecaravan
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't think it would ever happen. Those two have been through a lot together. I think they are really good friends.

pwayne
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Maria needs to change coaches as she needs to listen to another voice who can make some adjustments to her game. With another coach and Maria's fight, she will make deep runs in Slams like she was before injuries slowed her.

chuvack
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Gilbert is a great coach, just about any player could benefit from him.

Sharapova game has been kind of lost in the wilderness for a while now.

Tennisstar86
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
i don't get it :confused:. has he expressed a distaste for the wta ever? besides, there's big money involved here.

yes he has. Hes probably the worst at talking bad about the women. No Maria should not get him as her coach...

shega
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry you guys, but you don't know Michael Joyce. If my dad would read all this right here, he'd go crazy. Michael Joyce himself is a great coach. It's another thing if Sharapova's not agile or confident.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I think she needs a new coach!!I see Michael as being Just a friend of Maria and goes with her on her travels and stuff!!But I would love to see maria get a new coach and challenge herself once again!!

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry you guys, but you don't know Michael Joyce. If my dad would read all this right here, he'd go crazy. Michael Joyce himself is a great coach. It's another thing if Sharapova's not agile or confident.

how do you know joyce :confused:?

Ciarán
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think Maria needs a firm hand like Passos. He would dump her ass if she wasn't working hard enough :p I do believe she is doing her up most though and the comeback thus far has been 90% her.

Ksenia_PervakFAN
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Zelko Krajan will coach her )))) I hope....

Aravanecaravan
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I think Maria needs a firm hand like Passos. He would dump her ass if she wasn't working hard enough :p I do believe she is doing her up most though and the comeback thus far has been 90% her.

That would be an interesting combination. Is he coaching anyone now?

NeoZod19
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
At this point anybody but Joyce and now!!!:bounce:
Pleae can someone email this threads to her manager??:wavey:

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Zelko Krajan will coach her )))) I hope....

you mean safina's ex-coach? thanks, but no thanks. i don't want that guy anywhere near maria :lol:.

goldlion
Jun 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
From what I've been observing, Maria only trusts Michael and Yuri. It's not easy for her to change anything at her age now especially she's not sticking with tennis for long - at most 3 years. If she succeeds she succeeds, if not I can only see her hanging around there being named as a 3-time GS champion + Former no.1.

Matt01
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Pova could even teach Gilbert a thing or two about winning ugly :devil:

JustineHHn4eve
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
They are too close of friends for her to drop him. LOL at people who said Yuri. He may be there to pressure her, but he's not an actual coach. If you read interviews from Landsdorp and Bolleteri, all Yuri does is just help pick up balls. She needs to get back to Landsdorp and sort out her groundies.
IMO the fundamental part of her game is NEVER her serve. It was a general good weapon, but never the be all end all of her game. Her best feature was her constant pressuring her opponent through powerful, consistent ground stokes. If one thing Maria does better than Serena, is that she can hit more constantly deep, and make less random errors. She doesn't do those things anymore.

In 2007, even WITHOUT her serve, she made a Slamfinal, Slam Semi on her worst surface, and Lost to Venus Williams who played on of the best matches of her career. She also won a Tier 1 title and ended the year in the top 5 DESPITE not having a serve.

Now, her groundies are way too messy. You get a sense that she can't hit 5 balls in a row without making an error. She'll hit the craziest winners or the most random errors possible and seems more slow than ever.

shega
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM
how do you know joyce :confused:?

My dad knows him.
Michael Joyce actually, should've been an ATP coach. But he's not because I don't really know what linked him to Yuri and Sharapova, probably it just got too personal.
But when me and my dad were watching Kremlin Cup 2006, Sharapova's second round oponent, if I'm not mistaken, was Ekaterina Bychkova and she played the match of her life. When the camera focused on Joyce, my dad said :" Ohhh so Bychkova's coach is Michael, that's why she's so good." !
Then I let him know he's Maria's coach - then hitting partner I think, and he said that all the dissbelief he felt towards Maria Sharapova's GS wins (he always said she cannot move) dissappears now. He never knew he coached Maria. Then he told me the whole story with Michael...it's quite long sorry

tanman
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM
They are too close of friends for her to drop him. LOL at people who said Yuri. He may be there to pressure her, but he's not an actual coach. If you read interviews from Landsdorp and Bolleteri, all Yuri does is just help pick up balls. She needs to get back to Landsdorp and sort out her groundies.
IMO the fundamental part of her game is NEVER her serve. It was a general good weapon, but never the be all end all of her game. Her best feature was her constant pressuring her opponent through powerful, consistent ground stokes. If one thing Maria does better than Serena, is that she can hit more constantly deep, and make less random errors. She doesn't do those things anymore.

In 2007, even WITHOUT her serve, she made a Slamfinal, Slam Semi on her worst surface, and Lost to Venus Williams who played on of the best matches of her career. She also won a Tier 1 title and ended the year in the top 5 DESPITE not having a serve.

Now, her groundies are way too messy. You get a sense that she can't hit 5 balls in a row without making an error. She'll hit the craziest winners or the most random errors possible and seems more slow than ever.
You are giving way to much credit to Lansdorp and Bolleteri. They are not out there every week with the Maria. This girl was doing her best with her father directing her career even though I dont agree with the things he was doing there he was alot of motivation behind her. There are other examples of this in womens tennis where over bearing fathers help there daugthers succeed and after they left they had a decline. I dont think you can put all the blame on joyce but maria hasnt improve other aspects of her game such as net play or better second serve which you can blame him. If she is comfortable with him and buys into what he is trying to get her to do with her game then give him some more time because that is what it takes. It isnt easy dealing with tennis divas.

earthcrystal
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Brad Gilbert? Omg...he's a total ass. That's why he's a commentator now...no one will keep him as a coach. He can't even pronounce their names...bwahahahaha!

Thanks for the laugh.

In all seriousniess, I think Joyce is doing what he can, it's up to Maria to execute. Coaches can only do so much.

Serena y Monica
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Wrong...the "USTA" got Roddick his only GSlam title. Brad was there for the ride.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with this. Cahill seems like one of the premier coaches to me - I love his commentating, and think he would be a great fit with Maria (or many other WTA players actually).
Yeah, he's been pretty much spot on as a commentator. He predicted the Dementieva Serena semi at wimbledon last year. When I've heard him offer coaching advice to various players, he seems to be saying EXACTLY what they need to hear.

DB, I'm not saying she COULD get Cahill. I'm simply saying Cahill would be better suited to coach Maria "TEMPERAMENT-wise," notwithstanding his contractual obligations.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Wrong...the "USTA" got Roddick his only GSlam title. Brad was there for the ride.

oh please, let's not get into this. andy roddick won his one and only slam when he was being coached by brad gilbert. any claims you make to the contrary, are just laughable :lol:.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Roddick is a good player. His Wimbledon final last year was a great match.

Maria had a major injury. She is still in comeback mode. Might be for a while.

She is experimenting with rackets and strings. Thats something every player has to do now.
The FO was in part about strings
You have to give her time, and not expect every win to mean the AO 08 Maria is back

earthcrystal
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
oh please, let's not get into this. andy roddick won his one and only slam when he was being coached by brad gilbert. any claims you make to the contrary, are just laughable :lol:.

Really? Wanna talk laughable...how's this: Brad's big contribution to Roddick's career was to make him stop wearing a visor so he's look more "macho". Oh, and he told him to serve big.

Brad is a joke.

Serena y Monica
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Seriously...do u know the back story to Roddicks "BIG" win? To claim Gilbert is a great coach is well :lol:.

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Really? Wanna talk laughable...how's this: Brad's big contribution to Roddick's career was to make him stop wearing a visor so he's look more "macho". Oh, and he told him to serve big.

Brad is a joke.

say what you want. the only slam that roddick ever won (and will ever win) came under gilbert's tutelage. that's good enough for me :).

meteor
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Seriously...do u know the back story to Roddicks "BIG" win? To claim Gilbert is a great coach is well :lol:.

actually, no, i don't. why don't you enlighten us? you say gilbert is laughable, yet you claim no way of understanding how agassi and roddick won under his tutelage :lol:.

Matt01
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM
say what you want. the only slam that roddick ever won (and will ever win) came under gilbert's tutelage. that's good enough for me :).

That doesn't necessarily mean that he was responsible for that sudden big success of his player, though :p

meteor
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM
That doesn't necessarily mean that he was responsible for that sudden big success of his player, though :p

really? then, who was :lol:? and how come roddick hasn't won a slam in the next six plus years?

almost impossible to explain, isn't it? unless you accept the fact that gilbert is some kind of genius.

gc-spurs
Jun 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM
really? then, who was :lol:? and how come roddick hasn't won a slam in the next six plus years?

almost impossible to explain, isn't it? unless you accept the fact that gilbert is some kind of genius.

Roger Federer.

xan
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joyce is good for Maria's team, but he is NOT a coach.

Maria needs to get some major new coaching input to improve her tactics and consistency. With Michael Joyce she just seems to be coasting along doing the same old thing, and hoping for it to click. If she does poorly at Wimbledon, it really is time for her to seriously get new input.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Andy Murray also improved vastly during his stint with Gilbert. He may appear as a goon, but he knows tennis point blank.

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:37 AM
nobody wants Brad, Murray was always angry at him...Roddick dumped him

darrinbaker00
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:09 AM
DB, I'm not saying she COULD get Cahill. I'm simply saying Cahill would be better suited to coach Maria "TEMPERAMENT-wise," notwithstanding his contractual obligations.
I know, but you've read enough of my posts to know that if there's a cheap laugh to be had, I'll find it, and if not, I'll create one. ;)

By the way, I agree with you 100 percent about Killer Cahill; he does have the right temperament to work with female players. In fact, the way he was talking about Sam Stosur during Roland Garros (the director probably had to tell him in his ear to stop calling her by her first name all the time), I'd bet money that he's been working with her on the DL.

darrinbaker00
Jun 16th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Andy Murray also improved vastly during his stint with Gilbert. He may appear as a goon, but he knows tennis point blank.
Brad's biggest problem, which I've heard many times from people who know him, is that he is madly in love with the sound of his own voice. With that face of his, he needs to be on radio, not television.

meteor
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Joyce is good for Maria's team, but he is NOT a coach.

Maria needs to get some major new coaching input to improve her tactics and consistency. With Michael Joyce she just seems to be coasting along doing the same old thing, and hoping for it to click. If she does poorly at Wimbledon, it really is time for her to seriously get new input.

i think she really needs to get it sorted out BEFORE wimbledon, if at all possible.

NeoZod19
Jun 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
i think she really needs to get it sorted out BEFORE wimbledon, if at all possible.

that'd be awesome but i don't think it will ever happen! :(

matty
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM

No way, she better not steal Cahill from adidas and Dani! :(

Besides, he has a contract with Adidas...Nike can get their own coaches!

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
maria's problem is herself.

meteor
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM

i was wondering how long the haters would stay away :lol:.

ZODIAC
Jun 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Brad's biggest problem, which I've heard many times from people who know him, is that he is madly in love with the sound of his own voice. With that face of his, he needs to be on radio, not television.
I agree with you,its all about Brad ..I liked the way Murray used to put him in his place...reminding him that he was hired help:tape::lol:

darrinbaker00
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I agree with you,its all about Brad ..I liked the way Murray used to put him in his place...reminding him that he was hired help:tape::lol:
Personally, I thought Murray made a mistake. Brad may wear out his welcome after a while, but he gets results out of his players. Andy Roddick won a major and reached #1 with Brad, and has done neither without him.

toxina90
Jun 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I think Maria is experienced enough to not need some coach telling her what to do and how to play :tape:

NeoZod19
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM

No, I don't think so, she is in a big business and her sponsors own her so yeah she has things to say but not the final word!!

edificio
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joyce is not helping her so much, it seems; but she gets on well with the guy. I cannot see her listening to Gilbert. Anyway, I'm sure she has access to other coaches.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Its not just Joyce. Its the injury. Her shoulder is not all the way back.
It affects her serve, and her focus. But I agree with those who think she has to work hard on her groundstrokes.
She might never have a great serve again. But she can win with a decent serve and her old groundstrokes

xan
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Maria had some of these problems before the injury. The problem is that apart from Yuri and Joyce, and for a short period, Lansdorp, Maria has not had a proper professional coach = and there are things she could get from one that would improve her chances.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Maria was playing really well before this injury. She started 2008 something like 24-2 before the red clay season. On red clay she won 6 in a row and had a match point at RG on Safina. That's 30-2 going into the Safina match, and Dinara was good on clay then

This injury set her way back, it came at a time when she was flourishing at 20 as a really good player.

pepaw
Jun 17th, 2010, 02:47 AM
she doesnt need a new coach, she needs to fix somethings herself.

the stupid belief on this board seems to be that when a player is going through a rough time, a coach will fix it. wrong.

Midnight_Robber
Jun 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
the problem is, she seems to be TOO comfortable with him. i think she needs to be challenged again. gilbert's hardline attitude, imo, makes him the right guy for that job.

And therein lies the problem. Changing a coach doesn't have to be catastrophic drama-fest, but there are times when you have to know when to move on.

Sharapowerr
Jun 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I think Maria needs to be pushed, Michael is more of a friend, and is not really challenging her, i think he is to soft

ZODIAC
Jun 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I think pova trust Joyce and in this business of coaches snitching,she feels happy with him.Serena has to be careful about Sascha,he is good friends with Azarenka s former coach.I hope when Serena was struggling against her he was not giving away pointers.

Foxy
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Maria has reached her peak and is NOT gonna get any better because she's sloop footed and will never be able to run any faster.

Maria was ALL hype and she was given all of those easy draws to get her to the finals and the other players believed that her game was better than what it really was.

The year she beat Serena was the same month that Serena had come back from knee surgery, and she beat Venus during that same time because Venus had come back from that bad abdominal injury. But once the Williams sisters got a read on Maria's serve they have been beating her like they did Hingis.

And the other Russians and players who they use to pair Maria with when they were giving her all of those easy draws stated looking at how the Williams sisters was EXPLOITING Maria's bad serve, her lack of variety in her game, and they too are beating Maria very easily.

Maria is as good as she's gonna get. No matter if it's Brad Gilbert or Darin Cahil they still can't fix her biggest problem and that's her movement because she's not agile or fast. And she has been able to get as fas as she has because she's a ball basher who was given easy draws and hyped up as the next great white hope.

Justine, Kimmy, are better players than Maria and they are fast. Petrova has a better game than Maria, her problem is just between her two ears. There are a lot of other players who are actually better than Maria.

MS17
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Maria has reached her peak and is NOT gonna get any better because she's sloop footed and will never be able to run any faster.

Maria was ALL hype and she was given all of those easy draws to get her to the finals and the other players believed that her game was better than what it really was.

The year she beat Serena was the same month that Serena had come back from knee surgery, and she beat Venus during that same time because Venus had come back from that bad abdominal injury. But once the Williams sisters got a read on Maria's serve they have been beating her like they did Hingis.

And the other Russians and players who they use to pair Maria with when they were giving her all of those easy draws stated looking at how the Williams sisters was EXPLOITING Maria's bad serve, her lack of variety in her game, and they too are beating Maria very easily.

Maria is as good as she's gonna get. No matter if it's Brad Gilbert or Darin Cahil they still can't fix her biggest problem and that's her movement because she's not agile or fast. And she has been able to get as fas as she has because she's a ball basher who was given easy draws and hyped up as the next great white hope.

Justine, Kimmy, are better players than Maria and they are fast. Petrova has a better game than Maria, her problem is just between her two ears. There are a lot of other players who are actually better than Maria.

OMG , what a hater you are !
No Comment !!!!

madmax
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM

now close your eyes, take a deep a breath and try to direct your grudge into good use...like start dating someone

Serena y Monica
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM

WTF is sloop footed...lol! O n much of what u wrote is well...caca.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
When Maria won the 2008 AO she gave up 4 games or less to Henin, Dementieva, Jankovic, Davenport and Vesnina.
Didn't lose a set in Melbourne, and did not lose a match in 2008 until the Kuznetsova match at IW which forced her to miss Miami and started this injury.

There is no doubt that in her good form Maria is a tremendous player.
But until she is confident in her shoulder, it still is recovery mode now

meteor
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM

why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel :lol:?

meteor
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I think pova trust Joyce and in this business of coaches snitching,she feels happy with him.Serena has to be careful about Sascha,he is good friends with Azarenka s former coach.I hope when Serena was struggling against her he was not giving away pointers.

:confused:?????

meteor
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have a question : Is Masha still dating Vujacic ?

good question; is he?

meteor
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM

i have no idea what you mean :confused:.

DOUBLEFIST
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I know, but you've read enough of my posts to know that if there's a cheap laugh to be had, I'll find it, and if not, I'll create one. ;)

:lol: So, true. So, true. :lol:

And therein lies the problem. Changing a coach doesn't have to be catastrophic drama-fest, but there are times when you have to know when to move on.
Agreed. I don't think a coach needs to/Should be a players "friend." It's one thing if the relationship is comfortable AND the results are great. If, however, the relationship is cozy and the results are POOR/subpar, then it's time to move on.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 19th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I have a question : Is Masha still dating Vujacic ?

Yes.

Sp!ffy
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:13 AM

If Serena started having bad results, would it be easy for her to dump Sascha (sp?) and her dad? :tape: It's not easy dumping someone who you are close with on a more than professional level. (friends)

Foxy
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:26 AM
When Maria won the 2008 AO she gave up 4 games or less to Henin, Dementieva, Jankovic, Davenport and Vesnina.
Didn't lose a set in Melbourne, and did not lose a match in 2008 until the Kuznetsova match at IW which forced her to miss Miami and started this injury.

When Maria won against Henin that wasn't a surprise because Justine is smaller than Maria and she has the advantage on hardcourts with her ball bashing. She beat Elena because she had NOT fixed that serve. And of course she beat slow turtle Davenport, and Jankovic has a weak serve.

Those are players that Maria could beat back then, but she can't even beat them now. Have you guys noticed that they have kept Maria out of the Willamses, Clisters, and Justines way for the majority of the time.

Don't get me wrong, Maria is a good player but the other girls who they use to pair her with so she could win easily has beefed up their games and gotten fitter, and most of all, they've watched how Venus and Serena can easily beat Maria's butt. She'll only win a Wimbledon if Venus and Serena is knocked out early. Venus beats her at Wimbledon with scores like 6-1, 6-2 and the same with Serena. They beat her like she stole their money.

There is no doubt that in her good form Maria is a tremendous player.
But until she is confident in her shoulder, it still is recovery mode now

Maria is slow and her lack of movement is being exploited and there's nothing she can do about it. That's all the players have to do is just run her from side to side. They don't have to have the best game either. But if they can serve fairly well and get Maria on the run and stay on the baseline and run her side to side they can beat her because she's not athletic.

That's how Maria K-linko beat her. Haven't you guys noticed that she's been getting beaten by really low ranked players for the past 2-3 years and you can't keep blaming her shoulder.

She has reached her peak and she won't get any better. MJF and other commentators talk about if she can get her confidence back up then she'll win. My question is when did she lose her confidence. Any athlete who shows up to play whether the win or lose is showing confidence. That's why Cliff Drysdale nor Pam Shriver believes she'll ever get back to winning major titles.

The others just talk her up to boost the women's game, but she'll never be a real threat unless she doesn't have to face Venus, Serena, Kimmy, Justine, and a few others.

Maria can't even count on her cupcake draws anymore because those players are taking her down too.

Sp!ffy
Jun 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
When Maria won against Henin that wasn't a surprise because Justine is smaller than Maria and she has the advantage on hardcourts with her ball bashing. She beat Elena because she had NOT fixed that serve. And of course she beat slow turtle Davenport, and Jankovic has a weak serve.

Those are players that Maria could beat back then, but she can't even beat them now. Have you guys noticed that they have kept Maria out of the Willamses, Clisters, and Justines way for the majority of the time.

Don't get me wrong, Maria is a good player but the other girls who they use to pair her with so she could win easily has beefed up their games and gotten fitter, and most of all, they've watched how Venus and Serena can easily beat Maria's butt. She'll only win a Wimbledon if Venus and Serena is knocked out early. Venus beats her at Wimbledon with scores like 6-1, 6-2 and the same with Serena. They beat her like she stole their money.

Maria is slow and her lack of movement is being exploited and there's nothing she can do about it. That's all the players have to do is just run her from side to side. They don't have to have the best game either. But if they can serve fairly well and get Maria on the run and stay on the baseline and run her side to side they can beat her because she's not athletic.

That's how Maria K-linko beat her. Haven't you guys noticed that she's been getting beaten by really low ranked players for the past 2-3 years and you can't keep blaming her shoulder.

She has reached her peak and she won't get any better. MJF and other commentators talk about if she can get her confidence back up then she'll win. My question is when did she lose her confidence. Any athlete who shows up to play whether the win or lose is showing confidence. That's why Cliff Drysdale nor Pam Shriver believes she'll ever get back to winning major titles.

The others just talk her up to boost the women's game, but she'll never be a real threat unless she doesn't have to face Venus, Serena, Kimmy, Justine, and a few others.

Maria can't even count on her cupcake draws anymore because those players are taking her down too.

So do you think it's over for Maria? (in your opinion)