PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne R1: MJMS def. Zvonareva 6-3 3-6 7-5

Blu€
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Phewwwww tough match (2h 35m) but a good win.
Bad stats on the BP for Maria 5/14.
7 aces / 2 df :yeah:

Good luck against Caro/Rezai ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Bepa :( :bigcry: another close loss

Ferg
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Shes back :cheer: Make the quarters!

saul1333
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Had some chances to break at the end :sad:

Brena
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM
she lost to MJSM on grass??! :weirdo:
Vera, WTH???

sammy01
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM
vera is in a slump, MJMS is still riding her wave of confidence. in the end when it got to 5-5 i knew who my money was on

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Excellent win. :bounce:

Well done Mariajo, great fight :yeah:

To all the people who thought MJMS would stop winning once the clay season ended and said she couldn't play on grass. :p

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
she lost to MJSM on grass??! :weirdo:
Vera, WTH???

:dance:

Daruma.
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
MJMS!
I'm rooting for Caro nowbecause MJMS will beat her easily! :drool:

Petkorazzi
Retire, Vera. :weirdo:

Tripp
To all the people who thought MJMS would stop winning once the clay season ended and said she couldn't play on grass. :p

Are you kidding? Her game suits perfectly for grass courts. She's one of the only players who actually knows how to serve & volley.

#kArLoS#
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
When she wasted those BPs at *5-5 and lost that game,I knew it was over.

Congrats to Pepa,donīt you dare to loose now against either ThePush or Caravane :fiery:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Mjms :D

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
MJMS!
I'm rooting for Caro nowbecause MJMS will beat her easily! :drool:

Me too. MJMS and Caro are the most entertaining duo in tennis. Tennis's equivalent of Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM
These are good first round matches.
MJ plays the Wozniacki-Rezai winner, so she has a day off tomorrow

darkangel23
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Vera :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Are you kidding? Her game suits perfectly for grass courts. She's one of the only players who actually knows how to serve & volley.

I totally agree with you. But I have read numerous posters arguing otherwise. ;)

wildemu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
As soon as she blew that game at 5-5, I knew the mental goat wouldn't be able to recover.

sammy01
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Me too. MJMS and Caro are the most entertaining duo in tennis. Tennis's equivalent of Groucho Marx and Margaret Dumont.

http://www.unm.edu/~jerome/too_far.gif

Brena
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
:dance:

I'm not hating on MJMS. I just think Vera is better, but I'm obviously delusional as usual...

SELVEN
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Vera:sad:

propi
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
COngrats Pepa, now take a rest until your next match :D

Petkorazzi
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
No no and no. MJMS is NOT a great grass player at all. Yeah, she serve and volleys. But her forehand becomes a top 600 junior shot on this surface. Neither can she deal with power thrown at that side nor can she hit it anything else than a loopy ball begging to be put away.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.unm.edu/~jerome/too_far.gif

I don't think you understood the gist of my post. A shame. Watch some Marx Bros films and watch how Groucho slyly with his cunningly witicisms ridicules poor Margaret Dumont every chance he gets. Now see if you don't see the same thing going on when MJMS is toying with Wozniacki.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
No no and no. MJMS is NOT a great grass player at all. Yeah, she serve and volleys. But her forehand becomes a top 600 junior shot on this surface. Neither can she deal with power thrown at that side nor can she hit it anything else than a loopy ball begging to be put away.

Well that top 600 junior forehand just beat Zvonereva. :p

-NAJ-
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
one more Russian player in slump:sad:

vera,get it together

meteor
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
not too much of a surprise, given how much mjms loves to serve and volley.

Joe.
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:46 PM
*sigh* all the players I want to see on Wednesday are losing early. :sad:

Vera. :hug:

Petkorazzi
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Well that top 600 junior forehand just beat Zvonereva. :p
... Which is why I think it's a pretty bad loss for Zvonareva. :shrug:

Elwin.
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Bepa :hug: :sad:

nevetssllim
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Not really. She only serves and volleys in singles when she puts her first serve in (which does have a habit of deserting her) and apart from that, her forehand looks very suspect on faster surfaces and she doesn't return that well either. I'm not saying she's going to crash out in the first round but at the same time, I think clay will always be her best surface.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
... Which is why I think it's a pretty bad loss for Zvonareva. :shrug:

Or perhaps you have underestimated MJMS. Just perhaps. ;)

Drine
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Well done MJ :yeah:
Vera :hug:

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Not really. She only serves and volleys in singles when she puts her first serve in (which does have a habit of deserting her) and apart from that, her forehand looks very suspect on faster surfaces and she doesn't return that well either. I'm not saying she's going to crash out in the first round but at the same time, I think clay will always be her best surface.

Yeah, true, she only serves and volleys regularly off her 1st serve, but then how many other women even do that, heck, how many men even s&v of their 2nd serve? Any? And yes I agree clay will always be her best surface. But having said that MJMS can do a lot of things with a tennis ball and she can adapt her game very well to pretty much any surface. On hard she has beaten Azarenka Wozniacki and Wickmayer in the last year and indoors she has a couple of recent wins over Stosur and as well as a victory over Radwanska. And I have no doubt she can do well on grass as well as today's match demonstrates. :)

treufreund
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Actually I think MJMS maybe using her forehand to open the court for her volleys similarly to Martina Navratilova used to do. Martina did not have a power forehand nor did John McEnroe or Amelie Mauresmo. They all have won Wimbledon at least once ;)

gmak
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Bepa :sad: :(
tough loss

Petkorazzi
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Actually I think MJMS maybe using her forehand to open the court for her volleys similarly to Martina Navratilova used to do. Martina did not have a power forehand nor did John McEnroe or Amelie Mauresmo. They all have won Wimbledon at least once ;)
Yeah but at their peak, their forehands weren't a weakness. For Maria-Jose, it's still a big weakness.

nevetssllim
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, true, she only serves and volleys regularly off her 1st serve, but then how many other women even do that, heck, how many men even s&v of their 2nd serve? Any? And yes I agree clay will always be her best surface. But having said that MJMS can do a lot of things with a tennis ball and she can adapt her game very well to pretty much any surface. On hard she has beaten Azarenka Wozniacki and Wickmayer in the last year and indoors she has a couple of recent wins over Stosur and as well as a victory over Radwanska. And I have no doubt she can do well on grass as well as today's match demonstrates. :)

Dustin Brown serves and volleys off every first serve and second serve, but MJMS serve & volley game is much more attractive than his. :p

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Dustin Brown serves and volleys off every first serve and second serve, but MJMS serve & volley game is much more attractive than his. :p

Cool. I had heard Dustin was a S & V man but I didn't know that extended to the 2nd serve too. He is a player I already really wanted to see at Wimbledon this year and from what you are saying here even more so. :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah but at their peak, their forehands weren't a weakness. For Maria-Jose, it's still a big weakness.

I think MJMS is a lot better a player now than she was a year ago when she didn't have a great grass campaign (although Radwanska 1st round at Wimbledon is a nasty draw). I would wait and see before deciding her forehand is going to be such a weakness for her. I don't think it is going to turn out that way.

wildemu
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
maria was broken 4 times by a player that normally doesn't excel on grass. She was a point away from blowing this match, so it'll be interesting to see how she handles a more formidable opponent in the next round.

Beat
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
she lost to MJSM on grass??!

dunno what's so surprising about that :shrug: frankly i had expected an easier win for MJMS.

C.MARTINEZ
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Lovely Maria :hearts::hearts:

I canīt stand envious people :tape::tape:

*Jool*
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
congrats Pepa , that's a great win ! :yeah: good luck in the upcoming round(s) ! :bounce:

pav
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Don't know much about Maria Many names,but a bad loss for Bepa's shakey confidence, someone saying about facing a more formidable opponent in the next round, either of their records against Zvon. don't indcate that, slightly more sane perhaps:)

VIKA?
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Pepa:bounce:

and don't be so surprised cuz Maria plays well on grass:unsure:

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I don't think you understood the gist of my post. A shame. Watch some Marx Bros films and watch how Groucho slyly with his cunningly witicisms ridicules poor Margaret Dumont every chance he gets. Now see if you don't see the same thing going on when MJMS is toying with Wozniacki.

Lol :worship: good one! And Dumont is the prosperous cow to Groucho's sly wit, much as Caro (bless her soul) is the top-5er to MJMS's crafty top-20 type, always undermining the higher ranked players. "If you can't get a taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff."... classic stuff.

Fired
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Good job MJ! Top15 is calling for you :cool:

Slutiana
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Vera really blew it, I don't know what's wrong with her. :(

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Zvonareva is useless on grass, has always been. Why is everyone surprised with this result?

fantic
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Pepa :cheer:

Vera :hug:

fantic
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Don't know much about Maria Many names,but a bad loss for Bepa's shakey confidence, someone saying about facing a more formidable opponent in the next round, either of their records against Zvon. don't indcate that, slightly more sane perhaps:)

:lol: :worship: