PDA

View Full Version : Does Clay bring the most exiting matches in Tennis?

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Comment:angel:

timafi
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:24 PM
clay and grass for me:shrug:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

I don't even want to think about clay after watching grasscourt matches last week... it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Glad there is no more clay for another year.

DefyingGravity
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
It depends, as an American, I much prefer Roland Garros and Wimbledon to the U.S. Open, and the Aussie ranks ahead of ours too honestly, and here's why:

The U.S. Open on the women's side has sloppy matches for no apparent reason. I can see clay (slower surface, more chance of unforced errors) and grass (rare) having more errors, but REALLY. These women play on hard courts all the time, and last year's USO was a HOT MESS of errors and mistakes and bad serving.

The competitiveness of the French Open matches with longer rallies just gets me more, and Wimbledon is well...Wimbledon, so the minute anything goes to three sets there, I start to get a palm sweat going. It's a preference though, because some people will not like clay because it can lead to more unforced errors. For me, it's a great test of linking physical and mental stamina.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
It depends, as an American, I much prefer Roland Garros and Wimbledon to the U.S. Open, and the Aussie ranks ahead of ours too honestly, and here's why:

The U.S. Open on the women's side has sloppy matches for no apparent reason. I can see clay (slower surface, more chance of unforced errors) and grass (rare) having more errors, but REALLY. These women play on hard courts all the time, and last year's USO was a HOT MESS of errors and mistakes and bad serving.

The competitiveness of the French Open matches with longer rallies just gets me more, and Wimbledon is well...Wimbledon, so the minute anything goes to three sets there, I start to get a palm sweat going. It's a preference though, because some people will not like clay because it can lead to more unforced errors. For me, it's a great test of linking physical and mental stamina.

Agreed

The Witch-king
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
For some reason clay is really horrible with women, but pretty high quality with the men.

And grass is SOOO boring with the men and a lot of the time exciting with the women. :DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ptitnavet
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Sometimes the most exciting sometimes the most awful :shrug:

brickhousesupporter
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
For me it is about exciting and classic matches. Wimbledon and the US Open have produce so many exciting and classic matches. I can't really think of any classic French Open matches.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
For me it is about exciting and classic matches. Wimbledon and the US Open have produce so many exciting and classic matches. I can't really think of any classic French Open matches.

Like Capriati-Clijsters 12-10 in the third!,Gasquet-Murray this year was an exciting one!Sharapova-Petrova 8-6 in the third and many more:cool:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
For some reason clay is really horrible with women, but pretty high quality with the men.

And grass is SOOO boring with the men and a lot of the time exciting with the women. :DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What were you watching? I watched a bunch of men's grasscourt matches last week, and all were WAY more interesting that any of the men's clay matches at RG!

The Halle final was great compared to anything I saw at RG.

rockstar
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM

i agree! i think it's cos women push each other to death on clay, and on grass, the men get sooo many free points on serve the points are too short

brickhousesupporter
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Like Capriati-Clijsters 12-10 in the third!,Gasquet-Murray this year was an exciting one!Sharapova-Petrova 8-6 in the third and many more:cool:

If you consider that a classic......

wateva
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
exiting? :scratch:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Exciting:o:o

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Did you see the Warsaw Open?

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Did you see the Warsaw Open?

Dementieva-Pironkova was a good one:tape:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jun 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Red Clay has some of the most boring matches, but its rare to get a boring landslide win, which seems to be more often the case on hard surfaces.

I think grass has the most exciting matches actually.

LoveFifteen
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Men on grass are boring?! :unsure:

Someone clearly hasn't been watching Wimbledon for the past few years. :lol:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Ana :D

Matt01
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM

The RG finals from 1992 and 1996 were two of the best women's matches ever. :drool:

But I suppose you started watching WTA tennis many years later :p

kiwifan
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
no, the opposite.

meteor
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
absolutely. clay, by comparison to grass, which gives a big server so many free points, demands much more in terms of rally construction and stamina. on grass, it's considered "exciting" if a rally goes more than five shots :lol:.

DefyingGravity
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I think grass is only good for over inflating winner statistics at the moment. Venus and Serena are the only ones who look competent on the surface, though Daniela is doing a good job too. Hopefully, some Belgians can get their act together and make grass look good. Jie Zheng's game is beautiful on grass too, so I feel like they're the only ones who I'd want to see on grass (though I do wanna see how Stosur and Schiavone's slices work out on this surface)

narutos
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
no, the opposite.

This.

Gdsimmons
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hell no. Clay IMO brings the most boring matches. Clay season is like the worst for me. I think Wimbledon and US have the most exciting with AO a close second. Hard courts and grass are just so much more exciting to me

Boreas
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
North Americans praising hard courts and grass. shocker:eek:

Clay is the definition of tennis and is by far the most complex surface which unlike other surfaces requires a bit more than bashing a ball from corner to corner.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM
The RG finals from 1992 and 1996 were two of the best women's matches ever. :drool:

But I suppose you started watching WTA tennis many years later :p

Yes Matt.....an effective strategy. When someone disagrees with you, you insult their tennis knowledge and assume they just started watching tennis(so far from the truth). :rolleyes: I can't help it if I find matches on clay to a boring long and drawn out affair. It is called a preference Matt deal with it.

narutos
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM
North Americans praising hard courts and grass. shocker:eek:

Clay is the definition of tennis and is by far the most complex surface which unlike other surfaces requires a bit more than bashing a ball from corner to corner.

Clay only requires big top spin and endless rallies. Boring as hell.

Matt01
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yes Matt.....an effective strategy. When someone disagrees with you, you insult their tennis knowledge and assume they just started watching tennis(so far from the truth). :rolleyes: I can't help it if I find matches on clay to a boring long and drawn out affair. It is called a preference Matt deal with it.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, sweetie :kiss:

If I took all the insults that I'm getting from a certain fanbase here as serious as you do, well...

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM

If I took all the insults that I'm getting from a certain fanbase here as serious as you do, well...
:lol::lol:

treufreund
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I love grass the most if it is played with some net play and variety (but I feel the same about clay too). All three surfaces can provide some wonderful matches but also some snoozefests.

gmokb
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
no, the opposite.

Totally agree:worship:

shega
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
No, clay doesn't bring the most exiting matches in Tennis.

meteor
Jun 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM

:lol:

The Witch-king
Jun 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
What were you watching? I watched a bunch of men's grasscourt matches last week, and all were WAY more interesting that any of the men's clay matches at RG!

The Halle final was great compared to anything I saw at RG.

Queen's Club :eek: the final was like tooth surgery. I only enjoyed the fact that Fish lost :o

brickhousesupporter
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:27 PM

I fail to see how I am talking it seriously. If by seriously you mean me responding to a comment of yours, then I guess you are one of the most serious posters on this board as you are always responding to someones comments.:shrug:

LoveFifteen
Jun 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Matches can be exciting on any surface if both players are playing excellent tennis. So much nonsense is being pedaled here about grass and hard court tennis being nothing but ball bashing, and clay tennis being nothing but moonballing stamina contests.

That being said, I feel that on the women's side, Roland Garros hasn't had as many classic matches in the last ten years as the other Slams have had. It's just my vague perception.

Matt01
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I fail to see how I am talking it seriously. If by seriously you mean me responding to a comment of yours, then I guess you are one of the most serious posters on this board as you are always responding to someones comments.:shrug:

:confused:

young_gunner913
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Not really. The who clay season was pretty painful to watch.

edificio
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
No. The opposite, really.

I would add that indoor carpet is also not exciting.

saphir1
Jun 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
For me, it does! Though this year's clay season was somehow not as exciting as the other ones. But I remember Clijsters-Capriati, Hingis-Graf, Sharapova-Safina and many more I really enjoyed. I don't like grass at all, very short rallies, but we've also seen great matches in WImbledon, at least as far as the men are concerned (Federer-Nadal).

madmax
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Clay is absolutely WORST surface for women...they don't have enough power to hit topspin shots consistently and hard as the men do and practically all the matches are decided on opponents errors ( excluding Stosur and Franny to some degree). Women's game trully shines only on hardcourts, where they are playing most of the time and where it is fast and bouncy enough for them to hit nice winners

croat123
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
i think grass is best for the women's game. the matches are much cleaner

SoClose
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Nah, the opposite I would say :)

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Its more matchups for me, than surface. A good clay match is entertaining, but so is a good hardcourt match.
A 61 61 where one player gave up sucks on every surface

DualMedia
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:31 PM
imo, clay courts give the players who are aren't as skilled as the top players chance to be in limelight.

I may dislike henin, but henin worked hard the 3&4 time to get the trophy. :p

Jeff
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I think that for me, French Open matches are exciting, simply because it is a Grand Slam. Clay matches, on there own, I don't know they are interesting because of the different strategy and skill that is required for it compared to the other surfaces, but they are not as exciting as hardcourts or the grass. Obviously that is my preference.

The atmosphere and prestige that goes along with Wimbledon, as well as the nightlife New York City crowd at the U.S. Open - those are the factors that create "the most exciting matches" for me.

Dominic
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Hem, no it brings the most boring and shitty tennis.