PDA

View Full Version : Is Maria Finally Making Her Comeback?

cnelson575
May 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
What do you guys think? Is Maria'game starting to finally somewhat resemble her past game? I have to say win or lose she is starting to impress me. She is being competitive with one of the best clay court players.

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I think she needs to win this match to be "back" It'll give her the confidence needed for the rest of the year even if she were to lose to stoser or Serena shortly after.... if she loses... its just another hard faught match....

Maria usually raises her game against the top players... its making to the top players that she has a problem with. So Just taking a set doesnt make her "back" yet IMO.

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Just because she took a set off Justine on clay?

Her game is nowhere near to what it used to be. She's still quite inconsistent.

The only reason, today, its one set a peice is because of Maria's fight and Justines dip in play in that second set.

But who knows, if Maria beats Justine on clay she may get a whole new level of confidence that may transfer into her game!

I am glad Marias having some success.

Volcana
May 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
What do you guys think? Is Maria'game starting to finally somewhat resemble her past game?No. She was very reactive out there, and in the past, she really painted the lines.

However, there is one aspect of her game I never really appreciated before today's match. The first four games were horrible for her. Henin was doing whatever she wanted, Sharapova couldn't serve, Henin's dropshot was exposing her footspeed, and it was windy and raining. 99% of the tour takes their check and goes away in that situation, and it's a 2 set win for Henin.

Sharapova didn't really start playing that much better. She started playing smarter. She stopped putting Henin in positions where Henin could expose her footspeed, she got her own dropshot working, and she actually played defense, not one of her strengths.

And Henin's level actually dropped a bit. If that match had concluded today, I think Sharapova would have won, because she was showing herself as mentally stronger. Not that Henin is metally weak, but that was quite a display of detemination and competitveness by Sharapova. On that level, she really impressed me today.

Aaric
May 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
If she beats Henin on clay itīll give her lots of confidence; even more if she reaches the quarters and wins Serena

Pureracket
May 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
That would be nice to have somebody else in the mix. She did seem to find her form in that second set today.

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Not yet.

She has not lost he fighting spirit, but her game still needs work.
Having said that, she has mde great progress.

Of course winnig against Henin on clay will be a tremendous boost.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Its hard to tell in those dark wet conditions.
But I was a lot more impressed by Maria in set 2 today than when she beat Radwanska in the Tokyo semifinal.
Part of this set 2 was Henin not playing well with Maria serving 3-3 15-40. One good groundstroke, and come to net behind it and Justine is 2 games away.
When your opponent is off, you look better.

madmax
Are you guys for real or what? She's NEVER played this well on red stuff before like she did for the past two weeks - she has volleys and dropshots now in her arsenal, which was a rare thing in her teenage days. She will be winning slams sooner rather than later barring another injury

bandabou
Hmm....I odn't know. RG has been her better major in recent years. It's what she does on the OTHER surfaces that is gonna be telling.

hablo
May 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Depends if she wins that third set or not.

Weird that she's doing better at RG than Wimbledon lately.... :lol:

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Are you guys for real or what? She's NEVER played this well on red stuff before like she did for the past two weeks - she has volleys and dropshots now in her arsenal, which was a rare thing in her teenage days. She will be winning slams sooner rather than later barring another injury

She played better clay court tennis in 08 IMHO.

ys
May 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM
She was volleying like she never did before. That's a good sign. Especially with W in prospective. Still. You can't beat elite on clay if you can't move on clay. She can't.
What was surprising is too see Justine play this poor. She plays nothing like the queen of clay of old. Her play looks forced, she looks tight. She came to the net just few times.

Joe.
May 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Shes certainly not back to her best, shes not even playing as well as she did in Tokyo last year...but this is clay and the conditions really favoured Justine today. I know it sounds sad (:o), but I actually felt really proud of her today when she won set 2. :p

madmax
May 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
She played better clay court tennis in 08 IMHO.

I sincerely hope you are joking here:lol:Did you watch her choke away a match to Safina that year? I doubt it...

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Its hard to tell in those dark wet conditions.
But I was a lot more impressed by Maria in set 2 today than when she beat Radwanska in the Tokyo semifinal.
Part of this set 2 was Henin not playing well with Maria serving 3-3 15-40. One good groundstroke, and come to net behind it and Justine is 2 games away.
When your opponent is off, you look better.
Let's put things in perpestive.
Mari hate this surface.
Maria is playing against someone who has mastered how to win on this surface.
Maria has weathered the storm and won the 2nd set.
Tommorw, if the weather condition are good, the court could be faster, working in Maria's advantage.

However I cannot comment on whether she is finally coming back yet, until wimbledon.
Of course if she wins this tournament, she is definitely back.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Henin just lost to Rezai in Madrid. Set 2 was not Henin of 2007.
But set 1 she was pretty good.
Wimbledon and the hardcourt summer will tell more.
Maria just turned 23. She has time on her side.

ys
May 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Henin just lost to Rezai in Madrid. .

There were few more good players who lost to Rezai in Madrid. So that does not sound as a good argument. If anything , Henin has an excuse of losing it in early round.

Saula
May 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Not surprised by her new Clay tactics, she took a week training in Madrid. She is back!!

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
She is back, be scared haters:lol:

Reptilia
May 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Can't really judge it with 1 strong set of tennis against a top player. Next few months will be interesting!

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
She was volleying like she never did before. That's a good sign. Especially with W in prospective. Still. You can't beat elite on clay if you can't move on clay. She can't.
What was surprising is too see Justine play this poor. She plays nothing like the queen of clay of old. Her play looks forced, she looks tight. She came to the net just few times.

We will see if Henin wins tomorrow but if she is, I want her to play Serena just to see if Serena will be able to take a set off Henin.

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
She is back, be scared haters:lol:
I hope you are not directing this to posters in this thread.

Because the majority of the posts are measured, thoughtful at times nuanced.

I ahve not see many post qualify to be referred as "hater"

ys
May 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM
We will see if Henin wins tomorrow but if she is, I want her to play Serena just to see if Serena will be able to take a set off Henin.

Even if she gets past Sharapova, I don't see her beating Stosur. Neither I see Sharapova beating Stosur.

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I sincerely hope you are joking here:lol:Did you watch her choke away a match to Safina that year? I doubt it...

She played better tennis in 2008 but that's where it all ends. Her mentality was messed as soon as she choked to Dinara. Still, she played better tennis there than she did against Justine today.

You'd have to be in denial to believe otherwise...oh wait..

dsanders06
May 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
No. She was very reactive out there, and in the past, she really painted the lines.

However, there is one aspect of her game I never really appreciated before today's match. The first four games were horrible for her. Henin was doing whatever she wanted, Sharapova couldn't serve, Henin's dropshot was exposing her footspeed, and it was windy and raining. 99% of the tour takes their check and goes away in that situation, and it's a 2 set win for Henin.

Sharapova didn't really start playing that much better. She started playing smarter. She stopped putting Henin in positions where Henin could expose her footspeed, she got her own dropshot working, and she actually played defense, not one of her strengths.

Agreed. It was smart play rather than great play that turne things round for Maria today. I've always thought she has an underrated tennis IQ.

To answer the original question - the crucial thing is her serving finally seems to be getting there, which is the crucial aspect. Her groundstrokes have been near 100% since last summer, but they were continually undermined by badly-timed double-faults. I think her footwork is starting to get back to where it was pre-injury too.

simonsaystennis
May 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM
If she wins this match, then yes. She is finally battling tough against a top player this year. I sincerely hope she pulls off this win!

madmax
May 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
She played better tennis in 2008 but that's where it all ends. Her mentality was messed as soon as she choked to Dinara. Still, she played better tennis there than she did against Justine today.

You'd have to be in denial to believe otherwise...oh wait..

look, I'm not talking about her form that year...she was indeed blowing everyone away at the beginning of 2008. I'm talking about her transformation as a player on this particular surface which she hated before, and how she is handling 4 time RG champion while not EVEN playing that well. She is a different and much SMARTER player nowadays then ever before...if you cannot see that, then I've got nothing else to add for you

Sharapowerr
May 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Just because she took a set off Justine on clay?

Her game is nowhere near to what it used to be. She's still quite inconsistent.

The only reason, today, its one set a peice is because of Maria's fight and Justines dip in play in that second set.

But who knows, if Maria beats Justine on clay she may get a whole new level of confidence that may transfer into her game!

I am glad Marias having some success.

Justine s dip came because Maria started to play more agressive, her serve is much better than last year , i saw the last tournament she played and she s coming there.. btw u can say the same about Justine she won the first set because Marias big dip, i think she outplayed Justine in the second and that on her least favourite surface and Justine s best, i m sure she' ll be back;)

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM
look, I'm not talking about her form that year...she was indeed blowing everyone away at the beginning of 2008. I'm talking about her transformation as a player on this particular surface which she hated before, and how she is handling 4 time RG champion while not EVEN playing that well. She is a different and much SMARTER player nowadays then ever before...if you cannot see that, then I've got nothing else to add for you

I'm talking about her general level of play, so I'm talking about her form which was the original point to which you responded. It was better at Roland Garros 2008 than it has been this RG so far. It's not exactly hard to understand.

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Justine s dip came because Maria started to play more agressive, her serve is much better than last year , i saw the last tournament she played and she s coming there.. btw u can say the same about Justine she won the first set because Marias big dip, i think she outplayed Justine in the second and that on her least favourite surface and Justine s best, i m sure she' ll be back;)

I'm not disputing that Maria started to play more aggressively in the second set, penetrating the court more.

All I'm saying is that, at her best, she would have won todays match in two.

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm talking about her general level of play, so I'm talking about her form which was the original point to which you responded. It was better at Roland Garros 2008 than it has been this RG so far. It's not exactly hard to understand.

Give me a break she was about to lose against a qualifier in her 1st round in 2008 she won 8/6 in the last set, I think this Maria is playing much better.

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Give me a break she was about to lose against a qualifier in her 1st round in 2008 she won 8/6 in the last set, I think this Maria is playing much better.

It's an opinion. I happen to think she played better clay court tennis in Roland Garros 08 than she has here.

Get over it.

madmax
May 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM
It's an opinion. I happen to think she played better clay court tennis in Roland Garros 08 than she has here.

Get over it.

and your opinion is not really well grounded, to be fair...a confident and well playing Maria NEVER loses a match from the winning position, like she did against Safina two years ago. But you can be free to think otherwise of course:wavey:

mckyle.
May 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I was shocked by the depth Maria was hitting in the second set today. She hasn't been that demanding since 2008. It definitely gives me hope for Wimbledon if she can stay away from the Williams sisters and Dulko.

Noctis
May 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
She just need to hit deep and make less errors and cut down dfs

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
and your opinion is not really well grounded, to be fair...a confident and well playing Maria NEVER loses a match from the winning position, like she did against Safina two years ago. But you can be free to think otherwise of course:wavey:

Very true, Serena and Maria are the best players on tour when it comes to mental strength. Though they have their moments. Henin isnt as mentally strong as people want her to be. She chokes quite a bit.

brent-o
May 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Maria's not 100% percent back yet but in that second set I saw the old Masha again. It was that belief and dogged determination that I missed. She's clearly headed in the right direction.

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Though they have their moments. Henin isnt as mentally strong as people want her to be. She chokes quite a bit.
Very true, Carlos says os without being sollicited.
He used the word "fragile"

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
:unsure: it's easy to look good when your opponent is playing like Henin in the 2nd set.

cnelson575
May 30th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I would like to clarify one thing. I never started the thread meaning Maria was 100% back and it was also not about just the Justine match. Since she has come back she has not had any consistant play and was hitting over 10 df per game. It seems since the tournament before Roland that she is starting to put together a more solid game including her serving. She is hitting under 10 df and many times under 5. Also before she was losing to lesser players and now she seems to be beating them and now giving a top player a competitive match.

So I just meant it seems like she has had a bigger stretch of consistant play lately.

Also have been impressed with the fact that on clay she is often hitting more winners than errors.

envisiond2010
May 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Maria played a great 2nd set, but you have to admit that Henin is not playing as well as she is expected to play.

Temperenka
May 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
She seems to slowly be gaining back her confidence.

The great thing is though... as a Sharapova, I'm not entirely impressed with her past 12 months. However, she is still ranked 12th in the world. It just shows the caliber player she really is.

Corswandt
May 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
:unsure: it's easy to look good when your opponent is playing like Henin in the 2nd set.

This.

Is Maria Finally Making Her Comeback?

No.

dynamoRockstarr
May 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
she's already made he comeback, but in the sense of possibly taking RG, no.

slamchamp
May 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Even if she gets past Sharapova, I don't see her beating Stosur. Neither I see Sharapova beating Stosur.
lol that was funny, thanks

Lachy
May 30th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Maria playing conventional volley winners :hearts:

NeoZod19
May 30th, 2010, 01:24 AM
If she is healthy, you can count on her being one of the best but it would take time. right now she is dealing with injuries as well as building her confidence back so it's not easy.

But if she is healthy and considering only 23 years old, I think she can come back on top soon.

cnelson575
May 30th, 2010, 01:41 AM
she's already made he comeback, but in the sense of possibly taking RG, no.

Never said she was taking Roland Garros either lol. Although with many players playing bad you never know, stranger things have happen.I intended the thread to be more about the overall state of her game and the progression. I feel this is the best stretch of multiple games were she has had respectable serving and game consistancy. Never said it was the second coming of christ lol

Tennisstar86
May 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Never said she was taking Roland Garros either lol. Although with many players playing bad you never know, stranger things have happen.I intended the thread to be more about the overall state of her game and the progression. I feel this is the best stretch of multiple games were she has had respectable serving and game consistancy. Never said it was the second coming of christ lol

:lol: She really does have a chance IMO if she gets past Henin, with Serena maaaaaybe injured. I didnt watch her match, but i heard she got treatment during it? Then JJ looking a mess on court.... Sometimes she plays well others who knows whats going on in her mind... At this point after Henin Stosur could be the most difficult match she would HAVE to play until the final if Serena is really hurting somewhere.... but I dont see her winning, but she has a much better chance at it then she did at the start from what Ive seen from everyone so far.

PLP
May 30th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Really?

To me, it would prove that Sam is a legitimate contender for Slam titles if she could beat either of them in the rd16, but TBH, I just don't see it. I would favor Maria or JuJu over her, regardless of their actual level going into the match.

Anyway, I hope Maria is back. :cool:
In the other thread I voted that Justine would pull this match out but now I am not so sure, and that definitely says something.

Tennisstar86
May 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Really?

To me, it would prove that Sam is a legitimate contender for Slam titles if she could beat either of them in the rd16, but TBH, I just don't see it. I would favor Maria or JuJu over her, regardless of their actual level going into the match.

Anyway, I hope Maria is back. :cool:
In the other thread I voted that Justine would pull this match out but now I am not so sure, and that definitely says something.

She is though. With Serena injured.... I can see Sam winning that match... If JJ fails to make that Semi.... The winner of this quarter is a lock for the finals.....where who knows who will await if Venus bombs out...

Adaora
May 30th, 2010, 03:25 AM
This is way too premature. She needs to win the match first.
The girl hasn't even made it past the 3rd round of a major since???????

dynamoRockstarr
May 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM

i was referring to the state of her game now since she's come back and how it related to her showing or possible results at RG - i just didn't say all of that :lol:. As in her progression, i think she's doing well. and the recent title in Strausburg has given her some rhythm to work with coming into RG... i guess everyone is waiting on her to take a big title.

Craig.
May 30th, 2010, 03:33 AM
This is way too premature. She needs to win the match first.
The girl hasn't even made it past the 3rd round of a major since???????

Roland Garros 2009?

Inger67
May 30th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Slowly but surely she is getting back. She looks a lot better.

Caralenko
May 30th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I thought she was "back" at Tokyo last year? :lol:

She's doing a lot better than she was at the start of the year however. Justine's new 'bash-the-ball' game plan has totally fucked up her clay performance as well, even Stuttgart was as if she was playing on a HC, so it'll be interesting to see if Maria actually outsmarts her.

Jaffas85
May 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Serena isn't injured.

She received some tablets during her medical time out because she had a cold.

She apparently had a cold at some stage during her run to the 2007 Australian Open title.

Jajaloo
May 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Serena isn't injured.

She apparently had a cold at some stage during her run to the 2007 Australian Open title.

Must be the same type of "cold" Jelena gets ;) :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 30th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Hmm....I odn't know. RG has been her better major in recent years. It's what she does on the OTHER surfaces that is gonna be telling.

exactly :lol:

Serenus Christ
May 30th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Must be the same type of "cold" Jelena gets ;) :lol:

:haha:

Tennisstar86
May 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Serena isn't injured.

oh, ok from the article i read they made it seem like she got a rub down... anyways I wonder what the "tablets" were since I remember Safina claiming last year or maybe it was the year before she had a cold, but wasnt taking anything but tea because "we're not allowed". I thought that was weird I know doping is serious, but I assumed she'd be able to take some tylenol......

ys
May 31st, 2010, 03:10 PM
lol that was funny, thanks

I know.