PDA

View Full Version : Who will win Set 3: Henin-Sharapova?

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
It is a different match now, one set for a Round of 16 spot against Stosur.
Who wins set 3?

Miss Amor
May 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Henin vs Maria is on after 1PM Paris time. If it is sunny, it would favour Maria.

But ofcourse, if Justine shows up with her Forehand, then it will be hard.

Craig.
May 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Probably Justine :sad:

vw.
Henin 6-3.

Pasta-Na
juju, just like the first set 6-1 or 6-2 :shrug:

Shinjiro
Probably Justine.

Acinolbaj
May 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
hopefully Masha.

Julian.
May 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hopefully Masha!

Polikarpov
May 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Henin vs Maria is on after 1PM Paris time. If it is sunny, it would favour Maria.

But ofcourse, if Justine shows up with her Forehand, then it will be hard.

Ju's gonna need a serve as well.

Aaric
I hope it´s not like today´s first set

Aaric
I hope it´s not like today´s first set

madmax
Masha 6-2...too easy

Miss Amor
May 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Ju's gonna need a serve as well.

She served better in the second set than she did in the first today and still won the first set.

AcesHigh
Sharapova fans should be ecstatic either way.

Emina.
Maria hopefully .......

:cheer:

Ellery
Justine :unsure:

AcesHigh
She served better in the second set than she did in the first today.

I wouldnt say that.. the timing of the poor second serves or DF's was worse

Miss Amor
May 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I wouldnt say that.. the timing of the poor second serves or DF's was worse

1st set - 0 ace, 85% first serve points won, 44% first serves in, 3 DFs
2nd set - 1 ace, 86% first serve points won, 46% first serves in, 3 DFs

Second serve was punished, but it was more due to Maria's determination and initiative.

ED fan forever
May 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Finish her off Maria!

Saula
May 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Masha 6-3

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM

This:lol: I just realised Henin didn't even play that badly in the second set 10UE 10 winners. Maria will always have chances on Henin's serve because she return well and Henin first serve % is usually low. Anyway I'm really relieved I was expecting a 6262 after the 1set I'm proud of Maria.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Justine was really rattled in the 2nd set. Shame that the falling lights had stopped the match, otherwise Maria could have won.

That said, Justine will regroup and defeat Maria tomorrow. Sorry guys. I lame the bad scheduling.

tennnisfannn
May 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
justine will be practising her serve all night, maria will ne practising converting bps all night, by the time they meet tomorrow they will be starting from scratch. maria has probably exceeded her own expectations and will be swining freely, justine probably does not believe she has dropped a set but she has had time to calm down. it is like the two sets never happened. Personally I cannot say who is gonna win this, too hard to call.

Cakeisgood
May 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM

You know us too well.

Honestly, I'm expecting Justine to come out guns-a-blazin with a 6-2 or 6-3 set.
But if Maria comes roaring out the gates tomorrow, there is no counting her out.

I HAVE HOPE MARIA. DAVAI.

Jedna je Jelena
if the match continued I think Masha would win ...
but tommorow i think Henin is the fav..

Lefty.
It would be incredible if Maria could pull the win off but i've been very pleased with her performance either way.

Mightymirza
May 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hope real justine shows up :lol: Not the nervousjustinewhocantserveandhithorefand :lol:

saska77
May 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
the smell of upset ...

franklinbouvier
May 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I'll go with Henin but have to say I was rather impressed by Sharapova today.
Was expecting an easy win for Henin esp after the the first set.

tennnisfannn
Now it also looks like the tsonga/youzhsny will also be played over two days.

Eduardo Oliveira
MARIA :scared:
:bounce:

Polikarpov
She served better in the second set than she did in the first today and still won the first set.

Yes but that's not saying much since her first serve percentage is still below 50%. Anway, I think Maria has a good chance tomorrow especially if Justine has a slow start, which is quite usual for her even on clay.

VishaalMaria
Well considering Maria won the second set, I want her to go all the way.

No point in winning the second set if she's going to lose the third set with a 2-6 scoreline.

She's going to fight and I hope that fight and determination transfers into her groundstrokes like it did in that second set.

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Since I mostly root for players who go for their shots I hope Sharapova will trash the Belgian pusher tomorrow.

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I hope with all my heart that Maria wins this, but with the way she played in the second set against Justine, I'm already satisfied. She might come off to a slow start again tomorrow but hopefully she'll fight, which you know for sure she's gonna do no matter what, and come out with the win. The scheduling couldn't have been worse and Maria was starting to play well then it got too dark, if it wasn't for Nole.. :o

Sergius
May 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I hope Maria will, she deserved it

M.P
May 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
i hope it's not justine
but i think it maybe hers

Beny
May 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Justine was so passive today :o

I hope she comes out tomorrow and dictates, not wait for Masha´s errors and let her do anything what she wants

Justine 6-2

Chakvenus
May 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Maria!!!

saska77
May 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
i think Justine had a bit of a shock today. She will be a bit more cautious tomorrow and hey thats what Sharpie needs...

Marilyn Monheaux
Masha 6-2!:rocker2:

Arnian
Justine hopefully will

friendsita
May 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Masha all the way!! Vamos Maria!!

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Justine was so passive today :o

I hope she comes out tomorrow and dictates, not wait for Masha´s errors and let her do anything what she wants

Justine 6-2

Possibly it's because of the bad lights. It was shit hard seeing the ball in the entire second set. And that's after they "brightened" the coverage!

it-girl
May 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I think that if they would have continued today Maria would have won because she had the momentum. Now Justine will win because she is a better starter than Maria and she will have a game plan & play much better than she did in that 2nd set. I have to admitt that Maria did more than I thought she would today. Too bad the match could not have continued because that is the only way that I feel Maria could have won.

el_conquistador
henin lost the plot in the 2nd set....

she'll regroup with carlos and come back for the win http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/n020.gif

homogenius
Disappointing match(as epected).Just hope the 3rd set will be better

SoClose
May 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I hope Maria!

WTAtennisfan15
May 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Masha wins 3 set 8-6

friendsita
May 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I hope with all my heart that Maria wins this, but with the way she played in the second set against Justine, I'm already satisfied. She might come off to a slow start again tomorrow but hopefully she'll fight, which you know for sure she's gonna do no matter what, and come out with the win. The scheduling couldn't have been worse and Maria was starting to play well then it got too dark, if it wasn't for Nole.. :o

hey! keep the spirit up :) Maria can!!

Mashabator
May 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Masha will get it ;)

azmad_88
May 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
maria did not play well in the first 4 games of the match hence she was down 0-4, but since then she held her serves and played so much better. even when she lost 2-6 i knew the 2nd set was going to be much closer.

the 3rd set should favour justine because she had a night to rethink and regroup. also she is serving first

CoolDude7
May 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM
conditions were heavy out there.. Justine didn't lose focus she lost power on her shots(tired a little)

The Daviator
May 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Well if Henin gives Maria a gazillion 2nd serves to go after like she did today, then Sharapova easily.

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:13 PM
also she is serving first

As if it was a good thing against someone like Maria:lol: actually I like the fact that Henin is serving first Sharapova is usually slow when she starts serving.

Ryan
May 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
You can't bet against Henin, but I'd love for Maria to pull it out.

I think stopping play helps Maria too - I thought Justine would have outlasted her physically in the third, but stopping for the night gives Maria time to recover. She wont wilt in a final set - she can get outplayed, but she wont lose because she's unfit. I think the slower conditions helped her too, Henin was getting impatient.

osseous
May 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Pretty, pretty please Maria! :cheer: :angel:

Harju.
May 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Today, Maria was playing a much more inspiring game than Justine. She was dictating the points and much more initiative (coming to the net, dropshots, good angle). If she can keep this level, Maria will beat Justine.

But with that said, if Justine steps up her game, then this match is anyone's and it will be a great match.

hankqq
May 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Sharapova did very well to win a set :yeah: but I think Carlos is gonna calm Henin down tonight and tomorrow morning and Justine will take the final set 6-2 or 6-3 ;) :p

Matt01
May 29th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Justine was really rattled in the 2nd set. Shame that the falling lights had stopped the match, otherwise Maria could have won.

Are you really an Henin fan? :confused:

Serena y Monica
May 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I think Maria should have tried to play on...She had Justine rattled...Justine will regroup and start out strong. I think Justine will win it.

Joe.
May 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
If its as wet and slow as today, Maria will probably mess it up...but if its dry then Justine better prepare for defeat. :devil:
Come on Masha! :worship:

Rayyan
May 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Current stats for sharpie?

Vaidisova Ruled
May 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Please Maria :bounce::rocker2:

bellascarlett
May 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Whatever happens, I'm proud of Maria.

I'm just annoyed I can already picture Carlos figuring out a game plan with Justine. Really wish the match was played earlier today to avoid suspension. Dammit.

But...there is still a whole set to be played. Maria better not start slow. Hope her serve works tomorrow and she comes out confident, focused and swinging like she has nothing to lose.

danieln1
Maria 6-4

Cp6uja
Sharapova chances are way bigger if match continued today.
Henin is now big favorite again :shrug:

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
You can do this justine, you just can !

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
It got really dark in the second set and obviously Justine became very impatient. But Sharapova indeed played quite well.

Anyway, rest well and show no mercy tomorrow ju! :cool:

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
You can do this justine, you just can !

Oh David not so sure about the win now, are you?:lol:

Lady
May 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Are you really an Henin fan? :confused:

Unlikely ;)

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Sharapova chances are way bigger if match continued today.
Henin is now big favorite again :shrug:

Because you think Sharapova can serve in the dark:lol: anyway she believes in her chances and yeah Henin is the BIG favorite, the huge one, pressure is on her shoulders.

Calypso
Henin, something like 6-4.

She'll have time to re-strategize. The camera caught Justine smiling (in relief?) as she walked into the tunnel...

Masha's chance could have gone with the fading light... but I won't be surprised if Masha Fierce stole Justine's thunder!

iamhe
Heart says Justine.
Head says Maria.

That said, I think Maria is gonna win this. Why? Because the way Justine played is so passive. And Maria is the braver one. She truly believed her chances.

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh David not so sure about the win now, are you?:lol:

Lol I knew and know ju's gonna win no matter what :D

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Lol I knew and know ju's gonna win no matter what :D

Yeah she better take her chances because trust me there won't be on fast courts:lol:

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
And 40 sets in a row has an amazing record :worship::worship::worship:

Allez justine!

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah she better take her chances because trust me there won't be on fast courts:lol:

Lol gosh have you seriously forgoten how bad Sharapova's performance has been most of the time on fast courts in the past few years? :tape: I thought RG has been her most consistent and successful slam lately ;)

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Lol have you seriously forgoten how bad Sharapova's performance has been most of the time on fast courts in the past few years? :tape: I thought RG has been her most consistent and successful slam lately ;)

She was nowhere near this form if she could bring this form on fast courts their matchup will be in her hands and you know it.

Volcana
May 29th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Henin. Carlos will explain to her what she was doing wrong, and how to handle it. She doesn't do her own thinking, but she's really good at executing.

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Lol gosh have you seriously forgoten how bad Sharapova's performance has been most of the time on fast courts in the past few years? :tape: I thought RG has been her most consistent and successful slam lately ;)

Ok let's take a look at big Masha's results in fast court Slams during the past 3 years (2007-2009)

Wimbledon: 4r-2r-2r

US Open: 3r-DNP-3r

Surely very impressive :)

Russianboy
May 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Henin. Carlos will explain to her what she was doing wrong, and how to handle it. She doesn't do her own thinking, but she's really good at executing.

she should really pray to god that maria wont continue like she did at the end of set 2, cuz all carlos tactics wont help her then.

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
She was nowhere near this form if she could bring this form on fast courts their matchup will be in her hands and you know it.

if :confused::confused::lol:

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ok let's have a look at big Masha's results in fast court Slams during the past 3 years -

Wimbledon: 4r-2r-2r

US Open: 3r-DNP-3r

Surely very impressive :)

Like I said if she bring this form Im' not worried and yeah let's not talk about OZ2008, bad memories:lol:

Leo_DFP
May 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Agreed. Carlos sees the strategy.

I do think Justine will come out really aggressive and gunning for it tomorrow. Will be tough for Maria to maintain the edge in this match, but the key for her is footwork and to take advantage of sunny warm conditions if she gets them. Never thought I would say this, but: GO MARIA!

DavidEllul
May 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Like I said if she bring this form Im' not worried and yeah let's not talk about OZ2008, bad memories:lol:

I'm sure you're gonna bring that OZ2008 again cos that's probably the only straw you're got ;)

And yeah sure, I'll be looking forward to seeing her finding the "kick-ass" form back on fast courts - you can always hope ;)

Marilyn Monheaux
May 29th, 2010, 09:49 PM
All the strategy in the world won't help Justine when she can't do it on court. I'm sure she had a game play today, but she wasn't able to execute it properly when Masha stepped her game up. Tomorrow won't be any different!

Sharapowerr
May 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Maria 6-4

Chorophyll
May 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Henin has all the tools to disarm Sharaparis. Carlos just has to tell her tonight in what order to use them. She has to stop trying to go toe-to-toe with Maria if Maria is going to play that well. Start with the slice to break up the barrage and then look to move her. If her serving goes up 10%(unlikely because it is Henin) along with the aforementioned, Sharapova will lose.

dsanders06
May 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Heart says Maria, head says Justine 7-5.

No matter what happens tomorrow, Maria has done herself proud. Now she just needs to bottle this form and unleash it at Wimbledon and the US Open and she'll be back near the top of the rankings in no time.

Cp6uja
May 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Because you think Sharapova can serve in the dark:lol: anyway she believes in her chances and yeah Henin is the BIG favorite, the huge one, pressure is on her shoulders.All 6 Henin's loses this season coming from 3-setters... including against players like Dulko, Kanepi and Rezai... and she fire her medical team... so she is obviously not the same player like in past when we talking about long matches...

That's my point. Now Justine chances seems about 70% to me, instead about 40%-50% if they played whole 3-setter today (if they started match more early).

Stamp Paid
May 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
This is going to 7-5 at least. Ugh I only wish I could see it.
Neither one of them is going to give this match up easily. Justine will come out refreshed, but Maria will come out confident after that second set. I hope its a good match. :yeah:

Matt01
May 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
All the strategy in the world won't help Justine when she can't do it on court. I'm sure she had a game play today, but she wasn't able to execute it properly when Masha stepped her game up. Tomorrow won't be any different!

Such a nice post until that last sentence ruined it. Well :rolleyes:

bbjpa
May 29th, 2010, 10:22 PM
OMG I hope Maria will win , but Henin has always such luck and she's serving first :mad:

n1ko0
May 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
i hope maria! (obviously!)

so happy she got a set today :)

edificio
May 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
New match, yes. The newly coached Justine will win. Though I hope Maria can take the match.

narutos
May 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM
All 6 Henin's loses this season coming from 3-setters... including against players like Dulko, Kanepi and Rezai... and she fire her medical team... so she is obviously not the same player like in past when we talking about long matches...

That's my point. Now Justine chances seems about 70% to me, instead about 40%-50% if they played whole 3-setter today (if they started match more early).

I don't think the physical freshness will be the key of this match, this match is going to be mental for sure.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Justine Henin - Official page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justine-Henin-Official-page/353706170093) I've been waiting the all the day and we haven't finished the match... And no luck with the weather! Let's have a good night to get ready for tommorrow! Allez!!!

n1ko0
May 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Justine Henin - Official page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Justine-Henin-Official-page/353706170093) I've been waiting the all the day and we haven't finished the match... And no luck with the weather! Let's have a good night to get ready for tommorrow! Allez!!!

LOL she even says Allez on her updates! Kinda overtaking her backhand as her trademark! :lol:

VishaalMaria
May 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Such a nice post until that last sentence ruined it. Well :rolleyes:

It's better than anything you've ever said.

LH2HBH
May 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM

I voted for Maria but actually you are right.... :rolleyes:

Gdsimmons
May 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM

:rolleyes:
Anywho, I sure hope this set has some good quality. I want to see them giving it there all

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Ewww at the "Allez!!!" part. :rolleyes:

Williamsfan4ever
May 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Maria please win!

brent-o
May 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Were we watching the same match? Her serve in the second set was horribly hit-and-miss. Very inconsistent. :confused:

DOUBLEFIST
May 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm sticking with my prediction from a previous thread yesterday.

Maria 6-2, going away (which it would have been today if not for the boneheaded scheduling)

AaronJoyB
May 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Maria

Destiny
May 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Pova

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Maria has a huge lead in this poll, after the 2 sets were played

venutite aigu
May 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Maria!!!

Lady
May 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
LOL she even says Allez on her updates! Kinda overtaking her backhand as her trademark! :lol:

It's obviously not Justine herself.
She'd never go on the internet after a night match like this.
Not to mention she never writes in English and even her Diaries were usually translated.

ZODIAC
May 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM
if the match had continued pova was going to win but this start stop will affect pova more than Henin.

Midnight_Robber
May 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
It's obviously not Justine herself.
She'd never go on the internet after a night match like this.
Not to mention she never writes in English and even her Diaries were usually translated.

Well, if that's true - that it explains. She may have her "allezs!" on court but I just can't imagine her sticking that in a post, or even bothering to post at a time like this.

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
A lot of players are actually on twitter.

But Justine and Maria are probably not writing these facebook entries

Maria Sharapova (http://www.facebook.com/Sharapova)Thank you to all my fans for their happy birthday wishes, I can't believe I am 23!!. I think I am going to have a great day.

Maria Sharapova (http://www.facebook.com/Sharapova)Hi everyone! I'm playing Madrid and Strasbourg. Madrid will start next weekend, see you there!

goat
May 29th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Reading through the post majority of them are
"probably Justine" (implies greater chance then 50%)
and
"hopefully Maria" (implies there is doubt she will win)

Come on Maria Fans. Supoort the cause!

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Most of Maria's Facebook statuses are not her, but sometimes I can tell that it is. The dorky ones are usually hers. :lol:

Slutiana
May 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM
In my mind it's pretty much 50-50. Really excited for this. :sobbing:

bbjpa
May 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Henin only won the first set because Maria did a terrible start :help: , I hope Maria learn the lesson and won't repeat the mess of the start-up.

Mr. Magassi
May 30th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Henin 6-2 or 6-3

DOUBLEFIST
May 30th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Henin only won the first set because Maria did a terrible start :help: , I hope Maria learn the lesson and won't repeat the mess of the start-up.
While I believe there was a bit more to it than that, Sha'po' did get off to a subpar start. Obviously, she can't do that tomorrow. The thing I really like about Maria is that she's a player who has an AMAZING amount of self-command. She needs to be loaded up with it from the first serve!

ZODIAC
May 30th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Justine will not win RG she looks tired

Miss Amor
May 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Justine will not win RG she looks tired

I think the main reason she looked tired was because of the conditions, heavy ball/damp conditions + tall player (Against home the high bouncing top spin shots she was hitting in the second set are useless) means she is going to struggle even more than she does usually with her forced and laboured play style.

perseus2006
May 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
henin lost the plot in the 2nd set....

she'll regroup with carlos and come back for the win http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/n020.gif

Seems to be a popular thought that Justine and Carlos will huddle and prepare a new game plan to overcome Pova's demonstrated skills. Do you really think that Pova and Mike are just going to go to dinner, have some wine and play charades for the rest of the evening?

I am pleased with the results so far but Mike isn't! Not at all. He had to watch his charge literally trash the first set and make an ordeal out of the second. For example, how many break point were taken? How many shots were missed due to poor positioning? How many times did Pova set up Justine with soft shots in the middle of the court? And so on...

I think Mike might spend a few minutes, at the very least, pointing out to Pova that she is in Paris to play tennis, not pattycake!

So, the real question is: which "conversation" will be more effective? Mike and Pova's or Carlos and Justine's?

Based on the first two sets, I believe the third set will be determined by Pova's level of play.

pierce85
May 30th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Seems to be a popular thought that Justine and Carlos will huddle and prepare a new game plan to overcome Pova's demonstrated skills. Do you really think that Pova and Mike are just going to go to dinner, have some wine and play charades for the rest of the evening?

I am pleased with the results so far but Mike isn't! Not at all. He had to watch his charge literally trash the first set and make an ordeal out of the second. For example, how many break point were taken? How many shots were missed due to poor positioning? How many times did Pova set up Justine with soft shots in the middle of the court? And so on...

I think Mike might spend a few minutes, at the very least, pointing out to Pova that she is in Paris to play tennis, not pattycake!

So, the real question is: which "conversation" will be more effective? Mike and Pova's or Carlos and Justine's?

Based on the first two sets, I believe the third set will be determined by Pova's level of play.

Let's see, we have 7 grand slam champion versus 3 grand slam champion and 4 roland garos trophies versus 0, and you say sharapova's level of play will decide the outcome, aren't you delusional?? Justine is the better player so her level of play will make the difference

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Let's see, we have 7 grand slam champion versus 3 grand slam champion and 4 roland garos trophies versus 0, and you say sharapova's level of play will decide the outcome, aren't you delusional?? Justine is the better player so her level of play will make the difference

Maria's level of play mainly decided the outcome of the first two sets. :shrug:

The Daviator
May 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM

Don't you know that Maria's level of play decides every tournament and every Grand Slam?

:o :o :o

pierce85
May 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Maria's level of play mainly decided the outcome of the first two sets. :shrug:

But justine is claygoat and if she turns it up a notch whatever sharapova brings to the table she will overcome it...This isn't grass

Serena y Monica
May 30th, 2010, 12:43 AM
If Sharapova gets past Henin Serena and JJ...she wins this...esp is she plays Demented probably if she plays Venus...as Venus is choking in finals lately.

Temperenka
May 30th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Really hoping for Masha! :inlove:

But I'm thinking it will be Justine. :sad:

Maria just takes a little too long to get into a match, which is why the rain delay hurts her more.

However, I think the match is hers to win or lose. :shrug:

C'mon Maria! You can do it! :banana:

s_j
May 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
It is supposed to be dry and sunny tomorrow... How will that change things?

goldenlox
May 30th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Maybe showers

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/FRXX0076?from=36hr_topnav_business

Temperenka
May 30th, 2010, 01:00 AM
It is supposed to be dry and sunny tomorrow... How will that change things?

That will surely play into Maria's hand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the dry clay court tend to play more like a hardcourt than a damper clay court does? I hope I'm right. :) If so, maybe Maria will be able to come out and start playing well quicker.

s_j
May 30th, 2010, 01:01 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/40?&search=paris&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

Sun?

msharafan
May 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
c'mon Maria you can beat justine just hang in there and fight either way i am so proud of you :)

azinna
May 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM

Agreed. She was thrown off by Maria's improved play and (gulp) variety; that affected her execution of basic shots (like the forehand) more than the light. Carlos will likely calm her and lay things out nicely.

kaktusino
May 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Henin will win because she's going to win the whole tournament again, unfortunately. :bigcry:

Rafito.
May 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I'm so happy win or lose! But please Maria, I hope to god she can win this.

Vamos Maria!!!

rnwerner
May 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Henin will win it 63.

Maria will start badly and it will be 3-0 for henin after 10 minutes. Sharapova can hang in in matches but she cannot play from the beginning on her top level these days (even panova and flipkens were 2-0 in front in the 1st set).

There is no momentum and i don't understand why most of the people voted for sharapova.
It would be a huge surprise if sharapova can beat henin on clay.

But i agree that this second set was absolutely tight and great to watch.

gc-spurs
May 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM

2 players as good as this, you can't isolate which one's level of play will affect the outcome. They're not playing scrubs in which case that would be true. Maria played crap the first set, and really well in the second- Justine played pretty similar both sets. Whose level of play affected the match? You'll think yourself in circles trying to answer.

Matt01
May 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I think the main reason she looked tired was because of the conditions, heavy ball/damp conditions + tall player (Against home the high bouncing top spin shots she was hitting in the second set are useless) means she is going to struggle even more than she does usually with her forced and laboured play style.

:lol: You're too much.

perseus2006
May 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM

The year is 2010. It's been about two and a half years since Pova and Justine have played. Much of that time both players were out of tennis. Both players are getting back into play. The historical record isn't as applicable as it generally is, in my opinion.

That said, based on the performances in the first two sets today, which, in my opinion, were completely determined by Pova, I believe Pova will determine the outcome of the third set. Based on the play today, May 29, 2010, there was certainly no indication that Justine is the better player now.

I have no problem with your disagreement, I even agree that historically Justine is the better player on clay, but I do have a problem with your abusiveness. It was unnecessary.

There really isn't even any time to have an arguement!

The third set will be history by this time tomorrow, if the gods are kind.

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Agreed. She was thrown off by Maria's improved play and (gulp) variety; that affected her execution of basic shots (like the forehand) more than the light. Carlos will likely calm her and lay things out nicely.

Pretty much. henin failed to adjust

doktor
May 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
:lol: at Maria leading this poll, this break is going to benefit Justine a lot more than Maria, although i hope she can come out blazing and get the job done.

Craig.
May 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
More proof that Justine can't accomplish shit without Carlos.

pierce85
May 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The year is 2010. It's been about two and a half years since Pova and Justine have played. Much of that time both players were out of tennis. Both players are getting back into play. The historical record isn't as applicable as it generally is, in my opinion.

That said, based on the performances in the first two sets today, which, in my opinion, were completely determined by Pova, I believe Pova will determine the outcome of the third set. Based on the play today, May 29, 2010, there was certainly no indication that Justine is the better player now.

I have no problem with your disagreement, I even agree that historically Justine is the better player on clay, but I do have a problem with your abusiveness. It was unnecessary.

Based on the wta race justine is the better player of the two this year.
Based on the title justine won in stuttgart beating jankovic and stosur justine still has the game to beat the best on clay.
You see everyone is making his own conclusions, but i didn't mean to sound so harsh, i'm tired of maria fans acting as if maria holds the key to win or lose this match

tennisphilia
May 30th, 2010, 01:22 AM
i cant believe sharapova is winning this poll by a landslide. it's henin who has 4 majors won at the french. i think henin can still pull through - but sharapova's confidence should be at an all time high after being the first player after so many years to win a set against henin.

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Sharapova played better.. Henin didn't play well at all.
Henin is a better player on clay. Henin is a better player in 2010. Henin is a better player career-wise.

If Henin brings her A game tomorrow, Pova is toast. So it depends on which Henin shows up tomorrow.. the one that showed up today.. or the Henin that has won the last 4 RGs or even the Henin who showed clutch play to make the AO final.

perseus2006
May 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Based on the title justine won in stuttgart beating jankovic and stosur justine still has the game to beat the best on clay.
You see everyone is making his own conclusions, but i didn't mean to sound so harsh, i'm tired of the maria fans acting as if maria holds the key to win or lose this match

Some good points. You could have pointed out Pova's disaster in Madrid, too.

Lets enjoy the last set tomorrow and return to the discussion afterwards...

NeoZod19
May 30th, 2010, 01:29 AM
As much as I want Maria to win BADLY, I think Henin will come back strong with a better serve, hope I'm wrong :). For this reason I am blaming the WEATHER for not allowing to complete the match today. Maria would have won for sure.

But I still hope for Maria to WIN tomorrow!!!!! She is MENTALLY SOOOOOOOO very strong.

Best of luck Maria. C'MON!!!!

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2010, 01:29 AM
You see everyone is making his own conclusions, but i didn't mean to sound so harsh, i'm tired of maria fans acting as if maria holds the key to win or lose this match

:lol: looks i just repeated what you were going to say.

RecklessAbandon
May 30th, 2010, 01:31 AM
If Sharapova comes out and plays inspired tennis like we saw in set 2, Sharapova 6-4. If Justine comes with her serve and forehand on, Henin 6-3.

vejh
May 30th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Henin played worse as the match progressed, just sucked in general. She was moving Pova around better in the
1st and playing smarter tennis. Pova improved and Ju said goodbye for the night.

There was no improved play from Pova significantly different from the past; it became the same 'ole where Ju trys to outbang Pova and basically stops thinking.

If Ju comes with energy tomorrow ( I hope she gets some) I expect her to pick up from the first set and take the match.

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM
To win tomorrow Maria is got to stick to her second set scheme of play, moving Henin around, being patient and finishing points at the net if possible 'cause I'm sure Henin will stick to her original plan and that would benefit Maria.

Corswandt
May 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Henin to get an early break and to effectively bullshit her way to a 6-3 or 6-4 win.

vejh
May 30th, 2010, 01:44 AM
What was Henin's plan today??lol. She was so out of sorts. Whatever the original plan was, it was never brought to fruition.

And what can Carlos tell Henin that's not already know by Henin herself? It becomes a mental battle in the 3rd (and a strength/energy issue). The heavy conditions actually favored Pova because it's too much energy for Ju to fight with those heavy balls, so she hit quite a few short.

azinna
May 30th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Pretty much. henin failed to adjust

Justine had to have been as shocked as we were to see Maria S&V-ing...successfully. Difficult for any opponent to maintain the requisite focus for adjustments.

Nicolás89
May 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
What was Henin's plan today??lol. She was so out of sorts. Whatever the original plan was, it was never brought to fruition.

Making Pova move, playing to the forehand and doing dropshots, that's basically the plan she always bring to the table when playing Maria.

Also Henin with her new grip (?) seems to be able to produce more pace so Maria needs to be very accurate so she can play with lenght and that will stop Henin.

nelsondan
May 30th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I think Maria has one big advantage. Henin will serve first. If she holds, no big deal, Maria will have to do the same, and she will need that first game to calm down the jitters faster than she did today, anyway. If she manages to break Henin right off the bat, then a killer instinct could take over.

vejh
May 30th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Making Pova move, playing to the forehand and doing dropshots, that's basically the plan she always bring to the table when playing Maria.

Also Henin with her new grip (?) seems to be able to produce more pace so Maria needs to be very accurate so she can play with lenght and that will stop Henin.

She executed for such a few games and then she went to sleep. There was really nothing new that Pova did IMO. She has S&Ved before, she has dropshotted etc, so it wasn't anything major for Ju to adjust to.

Ju just needn't to play some tennis but she seemed exhausted and not too keen to be on court wherease Maria was pumped (as she should be).

spencercarlos
May 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM

And what can Carlos tell Henin that's not already know by Henin herself? It becomes a mental battle in the 3rd (and a strength/energy issue). The heavy conditions actually favored Pova because it's too much energy for Ju to fight with those heavy balls, so she hit quite a few short.
I think, besides wasting 3 break points at 3-3 that Henin played too straight forward to Maria. Henin needed to play more cross court, and open up the court. Of course that poorly serving stats won´t help her. She needs to get a little off the serve and go for placement, set up and open up the court a little more.

Maria actually played brilliant in the second set, was very patient, waited for her oportunities and even came up with great dropshots.

At this point, Henin should win but it will all depend in how she serves and if she will finally play more crosscourt, but in a second set like scenario and if Maria comes up with similar stuff she can definetly win tomorrow.

Buitenzorg
May 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Henin 6-4

mboyle
May 30th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I have not been impressed with Justine since her comeback. She's playing too aggressively. Sharapova didn't play the big points well today, but she really could have won 6-4; 6-1 or something if she had played the big points well. Honestly, I think this match is in Maria's hands. She has the bigger weapons. Justine's serve has become a serious liability. Maria will have a chance in every service game, just like today. I think it comes down to Maria's serve. If she continues to serve well and get free points on her first serve, she's going to win. If her serve goes away, then Justine's speed will be the difference. However, as is, Justine nullifies her speed advantage by going for too much too soon. That's why she hasn't been the same player since she came back.

RYNJ
May 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM
anyone know a place where i can watch some highlights or the match so far.

Jajaloo
May 30th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Justine, but Maria isn't a sideline ho. I'm expecting a fight.

Lord Choc Ice
May 30th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Sharapova 6-4.

Slampova
May 30th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Why is everyone so sure Justine will win because she's rested and will rethink her game plan :shrug: Joyce wanted Maria off the court so obviously he thinks playing tomorrow will suit her better... Maria will be rested and have had time to rethink her gameplan too :shrug:

Anyways, I really really really hope Maria wins :unsure::inlove:
Do this gurl :bowdown:!

LightWarrior
May 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Maria will obviously win this once she got she edge. All the pressure is on Henin. Especially on RG.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
depends on how they both come out...

jh won't win if she keeps trying to outhit maria from the baseline...she'll never be that good to do that :shrug:

maria might still be confident after getting a set off jh so i'll go with her unless jh improves her 1st serve...won't be surprised either way however

Kworb
May 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Justine still lacks confidence, she seems full of doubt in every rally. In the past she always knew what to do and it was far more effortless. Maria definitely has a chance if she plays well.

moby
May 30th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I disagree with those who say that sunny and dry conditions will benefit Maria. It seems clear to me that Maria's was able to take her chances and be more aggressive because Justine's shots were not kicking up and moving through the air as fast as they normally would.

Justine played a blah match, Maria was actually better for about a set and a half (in terms of the quality of play. she was the more creative player out there), but Justine competed well until she lost those two break point opportunities for a 4-3 lead, at which point she became frustrated with herself and the poor light and lost her focus in the last games.

So hopefully, Justine will start differently when play resumes in better light, and this match follows the pattern of the Wimbledon 96 semifinal.

Polikarpov
May 30th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I disagree with those who say that sunny and dry conditions will benefit Maria. It seems clear to me that Maria's was able to take her chances and be more aggressive because Justine's shots were not kicking up and moving through the air as fast as they normally would.

Justine played a blah match, Maria was actually better for about a set and a half (in terms of the quality of play. she was the more creative player out there), but Justine competed well until she lost those two break point opportunities for a 4-3 lead, at which point she became frustrated with herself and the poor light and lost her focus in the last games.

So hopefully, Justine will start differently when play resumes in better light, and this match follows the pattern of the Wimbledon 96 semifinal.

I agree. I actually think that the slower the conditions are, the better it is for Maria because it gives her ample time to set-up for her shots, and track balls she wouldn't normally get to.

Was that the Graf-Date semis? :sad:

claypova
May 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM
omg maria better take this :sobbing:

Lord Choc Ice
May 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
It's Maria's destiny that she takes this. :p

denny5576
May 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I agree. I actually think that the slower the conditions are, the better it is for Maria because it gives her ample time to set-up for her shots, and track balls she wouldn't normally get to.
:sad:
It means you do not know how Maria plays. And of course means you do not read what Maria says....

vejh
May 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM
But it does make sense that the slower conditions would benefit Maria in that it is easier to get to the balls.no? It also means that from Justine she gets quite a few short balls because the latter struggles to place heavy balls well.

Caralenko
May 30th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Justine :sobbing:

DemWilliamsGulls
May 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hopefully Maria...i'm looking for an upset..

AcesHigh
May 30th, 2010, 05:43 AM
But it does make sense that the slower conditions would benefit Maria in that it is easier to get to the balls.no? It also means that from Justine she gets quite a few short balls because the latter struggles to place heavy balls well.

They were difficult conditions for the diminutive Henin to hit well and through the court.
That being said, Justine played good enough not to lose against a crappy Sharapova... problem was that Sharapova actually showed up to play and executed well once she got into a groove.

Conditions can help both players either way. Whoever serves better will probably win. Funny saying that on a clay court.

Slutiana
May 30th, 2010, 05:54 AM

It works both ways though. Maria really had to construct every single point yesterday, she was barely able to win the point in less than 5 strokes so the speed will help her also in the sense that she will be able to play *her* own game rather than what she was doing yesterday.

RenaSlam.
May 30th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Fight Maria, beat Enna to a pulp.

AnomyBC
May 30th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Maria playing well is great and all, but the only thing that's going to make me ecstatic is her winning :)

Serenita
May 30th, 2010, 07:31 AM
:topic:

WTF is going on with that leg :scared:

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55271&stc=1&d=1275200972

Did she fall? why is it so red. :confused:

Caralenko
May 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
It's her veins :sobbing:

thegreendestiny
May 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Come on Masha, beat her like you did in Melbourne!

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Maria playing well is great and all, but the only thing that's going to make me ecstatic is her winning :)

I thought you were said she was going to win RG 2010. :o

Daniel
May 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Justine

silyaunWILLIAMS
May 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Maria's gonna win if she keeps hitting deep and hard and attacks Juju's second serve.

Uranus
May 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Henin 6-3.

vwfan
May 30th, 2010, 12:21 PM
tough for Maria, but she believes she can do it so that helps.:devil:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sad for Maria, but at least she fought and I'm very proud of her.

gentenaire
May 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
:topic:

WTF is going on with that leg :scared:

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55271&stc=1&d=1275200972

Did she fall? why is it so red. :confused:

Probably just some clay.

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Maria had her chances (4 break points for 3-0) but didn't take them. She can try again next time. Bring on the grass. :rocker2:

Serenus Christ
May 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
maria :sobbing:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
maria...poor shot selection at critical moments

DoublefaultPova
May 30th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm so pissed right now, she could have crushed her.
SERENA IF YOU HEAR ME, YOU BETTER DESTROY HER.

friendsita
May 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
congrats to Juju and her fans... Maria I love u!!!

narutos
May 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
maria...poor shot selection at critical moments

It just shows how frustrating she can be on clay on HC it won't be the same. I'm pretty confident about that.

homogenius
May 30th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm sticking with my prediction from a previous thread yesterday.

Maria 6-2, going away (which it would have been today if not for the boneheaded scheduling)

:lol: wishfull thinking.it seems we still have a chance to see Serena vs Justine ;)