PDA

View Full Version : "I heard some rude comments and I wasn't happy about it"— Petrova blasts French crowd

Lin Lin
May 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Petrova was furious with the French crowd's reaction when she had wasted her first match point on a double fault in Friday's gloom

"I heard some rude comments and I wasn't happy about it," said Petrova. "But today I was in control and I knew what I had to do."

However, the 27-year-old admitted she slept fitfully, reliving those wasted opportunities.

"I went to bed and my heart rate was like 200. I woke up, it was about 150. As soon as I closed my eyes, I could see the match again and all the opportunities and what I could have done differently."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1059807/1/.html

Ellery
May 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thank God Nadia won :hug:

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Im glad Petrova won, At least Venus will only have to play her and not the crowd too... The French are ridiculous...

Caralenko
May 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Poor Nadia. I guess anyone that faces a frenchwoman at RG has to deal with that :lol:

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Im glad Petrova won, At least Venus will only have to play her and not the crowd too... The French are ridiculous...

As if the french crowd was the only to do that...The players who faced Blake (just to name one)at the USO the past years could say the same.

young_gunner913
May 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Glad Naughtya didn't fold like a tent this time.

thrust
Enough of trashing the French crowd! They haven't had a winner in a very long time, so naturally, they are frustrated and will root hard for their players. The same is true with the English at Wimbledon. Good for Nadia though, she deserves a good tournament for a change. When on, she is an outstanding clay court player.

MAGIKARPETTA
We all know the French crowd....

LoLex
May 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Nadia :hug:

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
As if the french crowd was the only to do that...The players who faced Blake (just to name one)at the USO the past years could say the same.

Williams's opponents can't say the same.

AcesHigh
May 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Actually we get pretty rowdy for both Serena and Venus.
But nothing compared to the French. We don't berate the opponent or cheer double faults

Mina Vagante
May 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Enough of trashing the French crowd! They haven't had a winner in a very long time, so naturally, they are frustrated and will root hard for their players. The same is true with the English at Wimbledon. Good for Nadia though, she deserves a good tournament for a change. When on, she is an outstanding clay court player.

Uhm no. The crowd at Wimbledon is not even close to the French crowd. In fact, they're total opposites.

Vartan
May 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
You haven't seen the Israeli crowd...

Aaric
May 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Er...no.

terjw
May 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Well players know what to expect and that's part and parcel of the game.

fouc
Whole quote:

Q. Did the crowd bother you at all? You were clearly not their favorite, but how did you feel about that?
NADIA PETROVA: You know what? I'd say in the beginning of the match, it didn't really bother me. A little bit it started getting under my skin by the end of yesterday's session, you know, when it started to get really tight, and we both started having match points and the crowd wanted to continue a few times. I heard some rude comments in my Andreas, you know, wasn't happy about it.
But today I was absolutely in control. Nothing did bother. I knew what I had to do. I'm happy I walk away with the win today.

She was hardly "furious".

homogenius

Not my fault if the American crowd shows more support to players like Roddick and Blake than to the sisters.It doesn't change my point though : the American crowd acted pathetically in several Blake matches at the USO (+ the J-Block and all that shit).Every crowd supports home players and try to influence the outcome of the match when played on home soil.Nothing new here.

Ryan
May 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

No. The Brits are NEVER like that. You have to be deaf and blind to think any other crowd is THAT rude and heinous towards players when they're facing a Frenchie.

Zweli
May 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

People learn from their mistakes,grow up and change, but not the French,they are getting worse.

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
i'd just add that if a professionnal player can't deal with such things then he/she better find another job.

Inktrailer
May 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
They didn't even have the decency to applaud Petrova when she won. Pretty pathetic.

AcesHigh
May 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Not my fault if the American crowd shows more support to players like Roddick and Blake than to the sisters.It doesn't change my point though : the American crowd acted pathetically in several Blake matches at the USO (+ the J-Block and all that shit).Every crowd supports home players and try to influence the outcome of the match when played on home soil.Nothing new here.

That was ONLY the JBlock. I've attended matches for both, and aside from the JBlock, the crowd is fine

Tennisstar86
May 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Wrong. Mary Pierce won the french in 2000..... Amelie, though she didnt win the french won 2 majors in 2006.... THe french are just ridiculous. English/ Americans may root for their people. But they dont get ridiculous and boo the opponents. cheer double faults and errors.

Iceland
May 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Anyway Petrova didn't even seem to care that much. And Americans teaching French how to behave is just too funny.
She also said lots of nice things on Aravane, but I reckon it doesn't matter on this forum.

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM
:lol: Talk to either Serena or Vee, Nadia..they can teach you a thing or two about how to handle hostile crowds. ;)

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Did I say it was?

Just pointing out the fact that not all players get support from the homecrowd?

Lin Lin
May 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
:lol: Talk to either Serena or Vee, Nadia..they can teach you a thing or two about how to handle hostile crowds. ;)

like what the williams sisters have done towards Indian Wells?:confused::lol::lol:

Caralenko
May 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Boycott the tournament? :lol:

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
That was ONLY the JBlock. I've attended matches for both, and aside from the JBlock, the crowd is fine

I saw some USO matches myself, with Roddick, Blake, and before that Agassi, Sampras etc...and it happened that the crowd cheered after DF etc...like everywhere else.The French crowd being the only one to do that is just a myth (and each year it's the same : it's kinda "in" to hate on the France, the frenchies, everything that is french related during the FO.Last year reached a peak with paranoid Williams fans seeing racist conspiracies at each corner based on the schedule, the crowd not supporting the sisters enough etc...It was just ridiculous at the end).

ptitnavet
May 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wrong. Mary Pierce won the french in 2000..... Amelie, though she didnt win the french won 2 majors in 2006.... THe french are just ridiculous. English/ Americans may root for their people. But they dont get ridiculous and boo the opponents. cheer double faults and errors.

That's just some groups of persons who booed not the entire crowd and don't generalize about the french look at the Coubertin crowd or the others ..

Akila
May 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Actually we get pretty rowdy for both Serena and Venus.
But nothing compared to the French. We don't berate the opponent or cheer double faults

Name one match where Americans got "rowdy" for Venus or Serena. :o

calou
May 29th, 2010, 03:05 PM

As a French i agree with you.Went to RG in the early 80s and it was the same stuff.When Noah was playing i felt miserable to be among those people.French crowd's not fair and versatile.RG's crowd didn't represent the France:devil:

AcesHigh
May 29th, 2010, 03:09 PM

This idea that Americans never root for the WS is such a ridiculous myth. They have the largest fan base in the US and people won't cheer for them?

I'm one of the ppl that go crazy (for either) when I watch them play.. usually at USO and they're loved there

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Did I say it was?

Just pointing out the fact that not all players get support from the homecrowd?

and you can find examples of french players being booed occasionnally as well.Leconte was booed like no one (except maybe Martina in 1999)during and after his final against Wilander cause of his behaviour.Just like Serena got booed last year after her outburst at the USO.Once again, not much difference here.

LeonHart
May 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM

2000 US Open semi.

brickhousesupporter
May 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
like what the williams sisters have done towards Indian Wells?:confused::lol::lol:

No you guys have it wrong........

You first win the tournament, then boycott it.

DeliriousPotato
May 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Lol, actually the highlight of the French crowd was that Hingis-Graf final where they made Martina cry. I think they are pretty rude, but I actually love it, it gives RG this drama aura :lol:

KournikovaFan91
May 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I love their attitude :lol: They won't blindly support French players either.

Why are Petrova and Kuznetsova so whiney these days, first Kuzzy bashing young players and now Petrova moaning.

Sir Stefwhit
May 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It doesn't change my point though : the American crowd acted pathetically in several Blake matches at the USO (+ the J-Block and all that shit).Every crowd supports home players and try to influence the outcome of the match when played on home soil.Nothing new here.
The JBlock is no doubt loud, I'll give you that, but they aren't disrespectful. Right before the start of every match the organizer of the JBlock gives a speech about what kinds of behavior is acceptable and what's not. They're schooled to applaud opponents errors and not call out during points~ and they don't. There's a whole chapter about it in James Blake's book. So comparing the JBlock to the Parisian Crowd is laughable.

Ryan
May 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
The JBlock is no doubt loud, I'll give you that, but they aren't disrespectful. Right before the start of every match the organizer of the JBlock gives a speech about what kinds of behavior is acceptable and what's not. They're schooled to applaud opponents errors and not call out during points~ and they don't. There's a whole chapter about it in James Blake's book. So comparing the JBlock to the Parisian Crowd is laughable.

Ignorance is bliss. ;) The JBlock is not even comparable.

Polikarpov
May 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
One of the reasons why this is the hardest slam to win.

KournikovaFan91
May 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Wimbledon can be as bad.

Gasquet vs Murray
and
Hantuchova vs Robson
and
Robson vs Tabakova

All matches were the crowd were quite rude towards the non-Brit. I haven't watched enough of the USO when Americans are playing to judge them really.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Nads and The Fog fought till the end :worship:

sipnsurfMurph
May 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
[COLOR="Red"]Petrova was furious with the French crowd's reaction when she had wasted her first match point on a double fault in Friday's gloom]

Why bother Nadia? No one seriously accuses the French crowd of class.:devil:

Bronx19
May 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I dont like the French.

debopero
May 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM

This.

debopero
May 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
This idea that Americans never root for the WS is such a ridiculous myth. They have the largest fan base in the US and people won't cheer for them?

I'm one of the ppl that go crazy (for either) when I watch them play.. usually at USO and they're loved there

Again though..I can not recall any match where the American crowd was bursting at its seems with support for Venus or Serena :shrug: .You're entitled to your opinion though.

Mina Vagante
May 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Wimbledon can be as bad.

Gasquet vs Murray
and
Hantuchova vs Robson
and
Robson vs Tabakova

All matches were the crowd were quite rude towards the non-Brit. I haven't watched enough of the USO when Americans are playing to judge them really.

Wimbledon are extremly patriotic of British players but are never really rude to the opposition.

The British crowd is much more polite and would never boo a player for challenging a call or talking to the umpire. The French crowd take rudeness to another level.

Coffee&TV
May 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Good thing she won that match. Another "in your face" french crowd.

KournikovaFan91
May 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Wimbledon are extremly patriotic of British players but are never really rude to the opposition.

The British crowd is much more polite and would never boo a player for challenging a call or talking to the umpire. The French crowd take rudeness to another level.

Various things were shouted at Hantuchova, from quick memory I remember when she went to get the towel from chair at the back of the court and someone shouted "hurry up".

And as for Murray vs Gasquet :help:

Tabakova was booed for serving a completely legitimate under arm serve. Also she was only a junior at the time so the booing was completely uncalled for.

Akila
May 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM

There is a difference between cheering and being rowdy. I have yet to witness Amerians doing the wave when Venus' or Serena's opponent is serving at a crucial point during the match, cheering at double faults, whitstling/booing if Serena's or Venus' opponent screams come on. I could be wrong, but, as I have said before, I have yet to see it. But if you are able to show me a match where this has happened in the U.S, please show it to me.

calou
May 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I dont like the French.

french people or French crowd ?

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM

No...first WIN the tournament despite the crowd and THEN BOYCOTT it. ;)

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM

:yeah: U good! :lol:

Serenita
May 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Good for Nadia, i do believe some of this French crowd are just classless. And i certainly dont believe that all French tennis fans are soo annoying.

Steffica Greles
May 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
It was me. In the crowd. Calling her Porkchopova again.

Honestly, if you turn up expecting to be taken seriously as an athlete in that kind of shape, what do you expect?

The Dawntreader
May 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
The most unsporting display by the French crowd was the total silence at the end of the match.

Fair enough they were pissy about Rezai losing, but come on! A respectful series of applause wouldn't have killed them.

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Honestly, if you turn up expecting to be taken seriously as an athlete in that kind of shape, what do you expect?

:rolls: Mannnn....u really killing people! :lol:

osseous
May 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Nadia. :hug:

edificio
May 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Grosjean egging on the RG crowd a few years ago made me hate him. Monfils does it too, but I think he does it at all Slams. He thinks everyone should be on his side. Perhaps they should be.

I'm sorry I gave up the Nadia/Aravane match at 8-8. Needed sleep. Aravane was so pumped up, I thought it could go forever.

Inktrailer
May 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM

But they were cheering Rezai:rolleyes:

tennisbum79
May 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Win the tournament first to show the rowdy fan you can overcome them , then boycot it

Midnight_Robber
May 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM

:rolleyes: @ the embarrassing "J-Block", but I'd have to agree they've got nothing on an RG crowd...

And that's the difference. At Wimbledon they get rowdy when Murray's on and I bet it's annoying and maybe even intimidating for their opponents. But there is a difference between cheering for your own and just being downright negative and obnoxious in cheering DFs and errors and booing at the simplest actions, like a player asking for a call to be looked at. I wonder if they have any idea as to how brainless and sheep-like it comes off, to boo on cue at the drop of a hat. It's not 'atmospheric' - it's dumb and childish.

I don't think the sisters get absolutely no support but that it's comparably tepid and lukewarm in light of what they've won for the U.S. compared to either Roddick or Blake. And you always get the sense that if the match gets tight and they're playing yet another 'underdog' or someone like Kim, they'd turn on them in a heart beat and specifically cheer for their opponents. It's just embarassingly obvious that since they broke through at the USO and started winning slams *most* of the US crowd tolerates them, but they're just not that enthused about them.

The French crowd take rudeness to another level.

Agreed.

There is a difference between cheering and being rowdy. I have yet to witness Amerians doing the wave when Venus' or Serena's opponent is serving at a crucial point during the match, cheering at double faults, whitstling/booing if Serena's or Venus' opponent screams come on. I could be wrong, but, as I have said before, I have yet to see it. But if you are able to show me a match where this has happened in the U.S, please show it to me.

Don't worry - they won't be able to find this fabled footage, though I have heard that they get a more demonstrative, supportive audience in doubles which is interesting.

The most unsporting display by the French crowd was the total silence at the end of the match.

Fair enough they were pissy about Rezai losing, but come on! A respectful series of applause wouldn't have killed them.

That's what really annoyed me actually. It so sullen, sulky and ungracious. Even if Henman, Murray, Blake or Roddick lose I've never seen the crowd almost refuse to applaud the winner. Saw that same kind of behaviour IW this year when Kleybanova beat Kim (or anyone else) and the crowd couldn't even rouse itself to applaud. It was if she hadn't even played :o Shameful. But if RG as a slam, no less, wants to make itself comparable to IW... :o

Vodkapova
May 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Nadia should have played in Fed Cup agains Israel in 2008. Damn, I've never seen a crowd like that in my entire life. :lol:

Bronx19
May 30th, 2010, 03:06 AM
french people or French crowd ?

Bit of both, the crowd is a sample of the French population. They carry on like complete tossers.

Wiggly
May 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Nadia, alld you have to do is to tell them Allez up your fucking ass.

Aaron.
May 30th, 2010, 03:57 AM

Honestly, if you turn up expecting to be taken seriously as an athlete in that kind of shape, what do you expect? Omg :rolls: :spit:

calou
May 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Bit of both, the crowd is a sample of the French population. They carry on like complete tossers.

Thank you very much :(you're young and need to travel.Come to the south of France where we're living and you meet warm and friendly people.I agree RG crowd's stupid but not a sample of French population.Whe're a country with a culture and history and we don't recognize ourselves in this vulgar and ill-bred crowd;)

Malva
May 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Uhm no. The crowd at Wimbledon is not even close to the French crowd. In fact, they're total opposites.

I agree. Wimbledon is the last bastion of civility in the tennis world. One reason why it has always been my favorite grand slam -- The Grand Slam.

Thank you very much :(you're young and need to travel.Come to the south of France where we're living and you meet warm and friendly people.I agree RG crowd's stupid but not a simple of French population.Whe're a country with a culture and history and we don't recognize ourselves in this vulgar and ill-bred cowd;)

I am grateful for this comment. I endorse it wholeheartedly.

sammy01
May 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM

10 years isn't that long, if what you said were the case the wimbledon crowd would be the worst crowd ever :tape:

Rome
May 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I agree. Wimbledon is the last bastion of civility in the tennis world. One reason why it has always been my favorite grand slam -- The Grand Slam.

I am grateful for this comment. I endorse it wholeheartedly.

So is the AO

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM
French RG mob is so annoying I have no words to describe. On their own, they are just little frogs scared to death, but get them into one swamp...

If there is ever a vote to move clay GS to Spain, I will be the first one to vote for it.

calou
May 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM
French RG mob is so annoying I have no words to describe. On their own, they are just little frogs scared to death, but get them into one swamp...

If there is ever a vote to move clay GS to Spain, I will be the first one to vote for it.

PLease don't mix RG's crowd and French people ! As i said this crowd 's vulgar and they don't know too much tennis.There're a lot of guests among this and they went only to be seen .Please don't hate France..;)

calou
May 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Malva;17874355]I agree. Wimbledon is the last bastion of civility in the tennis world. One reason why it has always been my favorite grand slam -- The Grand Slam.

Wimbledon was always my favorite Grand Slam:)

hablo
May 30th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've been to RG and I think the crowd is fine. :shrug:

And it's not just the French sitting in the stands either.

Anyhow, some people are just a tad sensitive on this board. :hug:

Sally Todd
May 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM
:rolleyes: @ the embarrassing "J-Block", but I'd have to agree they've got nothing on an RG crowd...

And that's the difference. At Wimbledon they get rowdy when Murray's on and I bet it's annoying and maybe even intimidating for their opponents. But there is a difference between cheering for your own and just being downright negative and obnoxious in cheering DFs and errors and booing at the simplest actions, like a player asking for a call to be looked at. I wonder if they have any idea as to how brainless and sheep-like it comes off, to boo on cue at the drop of a hat. It's not 'atmospheric' - it's dumb and childish.

I don't think the sisters get absolutely no support but that it's comparably tepid and lukewarm in light of what they've won for the U.S. compared to either Roddick or Blake. And you always get the sense that if the match gets tight and they're playing yet another 'underdog' or someone like Kim, they'd turn on them in a heart beat and specifically cheer for their opponents. It's just embarassingly obvious that since they broke through at the USO and started winning slams *most* of the US crowd tolerates them, but they're just not that enthused about them.

Agreed.

Don't worry - they won't be able to find this fabled footage, though I have heard that they get a more demonstrative, supportive audience in doubles which is interesting.

That's what really annoyed me actually. It so sullen, sulky and ungracious. Even if Henman, Murray, Blake or Roddick lose I've never seen the crowd almost refuse to applaud the winner. Saw that same kind of behaviour IW this year when Kleybanova beat Kim (or anyone else) and the crowd couldn't even rouse itself to applaud. It was if she hadn't even played :o Shameful. But if RG as a slam, no less, wants to make itself comparable to IW... :o

I couldn't agree with you more, from the J Block to the mixed reactions to the sisters in the US (they are radical in comparison to Roddick and Blake) on through to what you said about Kleybanova. It pains me to read that in fact because I think the crowds are just cold to Kleybanova based on appearance. Granted in IW, she was playing everyone's darling Kim, but to not applaud her win is so classless and cruel. I read that people in France were similarly cold to her during her win against Ivanovic.

What can you say about the current RG crowd? This is the crowd that essentially treated Nadal like an average scrub as he was leaving the court after his loss to Soderling. Dislike Nadal, that's your right, but I have one word for a crowd that pays little-to-no respect to a previously undefeated 4-time champion at the moment he most deserved it: Pathetic.

Nadia is a veteran, so she can rise above the b.s., and in fact did so today. It's a shame there aren't a few more French players left in the draw for her to beat.

And I've been watching tennis long enough to say the RG crowd has taken a decisive turn for the wore. They've played a part in matches many times, but no they behave as if it's their right to vote the winner in the rudest ways imaginable as the match is being played. Maybe this kind of partisanship is an inherent of being in the audience for athletic competition, but the way they go about is boorish or as you say sheeplike. I see the way tennis was appreciated at RG back in the 80s and the way the crowd treats it today, and I just think :tape::help:

Malva
May 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
So is the AO

I like the Aussies. And I like the spirit of the Australian Open. And one should not forget that Australians still are very 'British' in their heart -- which I enjoyed noticing during each of my visits to Australia, some quite long.

When I said 'civility', however, I meant something more: understanding that tennis has had a certain tradition, a code of graceful behavior, a certain gallantry of manners further underlined by the dressing code, e.g., not cheering for opponents faults, not willing to win at any cost, that for a century has been setting apart tennis from all the other sports. And the tennis public has also been expected to behave.

Much of this has been eroded. Even at Wimbledon. Still, Wimbledon is the last bastion.

Inktrailer
May 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM
The French Open seems to come with a mindset now of 'this is what a FO crowd does' and it's to their own detriment. It's not a French thing obviously, or even a French tennis fan thing, because you don't see it other tennis tournaments in France. It's a mindset.

Just as at Wimbledon people think they have to have strawberries and fecking cream and drink Pimms. Last year we had the idiots constantly imitating Vika et al, due to the spotlight from the British media on 'grunting'. I think Wimbledon this year will be even worse, as unfortunately society as a whole becomes less respectful, particularly when it's something that is just 'an event' to a lot of people, like Wimbledon is - far too many attendees don't care about tennis the rest of the year.

With regards to the above, I think the 'dress code' in tennis is long outdated and personally have no qualms turning up in jeans and a New Orleans Saints t-shirt. Basic manners and respect should apply to all.

twight6
May 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Glad Naughtya didn't fold like a tent this time.

Oh my god I laughed so hard at your signature :haha: :spit: :rolls:.

I can't believe I haven't seen it before :happy:

tenn_ace
May 30th, 2010, 08:08 PM
PLease don't mix RG's crowd and French people ! As i said this crowd 's vulgar and they don't know too much tennis.There're a lot of guests among this and they went only to be seen .Please don't hate France..;)

I thought I did post RG mob, which makes it specific. And I can't argue there are guests who contribute, but are they really the driving force behind the mob - I seriously doubt it.