PDA

View Full Version : RG R3 - [1] S. Williams def Pavlyuchenkova 61 16 62.

Chorophyll
May 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wtf?

cellophane
May 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Serena under the weather but came through.

Nice exchange at the net

Jolene
May 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Very bizarre one to follow just on the scoreboard.

hankqq
nice recovery in the 3rd set, Serena :yeah: hopefully whatever is bothering her will be gone before her next match :)

Jienus
Serena at 10% in the second set.

Win is a win but needs to step it up from here on out.

young_gunner913
Never in doubt Sarin.

Rome
May 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Well done on Serena

Marcelo.
:hysteric: Get well Rena :smooch:

Dodoboy.
Great first set! ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, i'm going to go ahead and ignore the rest, except patches of the third set.

This is good Serena, great fight! Really well done!

Noctis
Serena was sick in the 2nd set
than took some tablets and play better

Nice of BabyNastya to ask what's wrong :hug:

Better in the 3rd ,
rest up for Peer/Bartoli!

klever58
whats wrong with Ree? she got 2 pills between 2nd and 3rd set... but congrats.. I didnt think that this will be tough for Ree ;)

doni1212
Thanks for fighting through that illness Ree!
Get better and keep it up, :yeah:

cozy411
Ignoring the second set, she played well :p Complained of dizziness though :unsure:

hdfb
Serena took some pills at 0-5 in 2nd set. Had pulse taken and temperature checked.

She was playing really well in 1st set, thought she'd get another 6-1 6-1 win.

#kArLoS#
Pavly :hug:

Atleast it was close than expected and she gave Serena a breadstick :drool:

Caralenko
Nastya getting really unlucky draws at RG, getting the top seed in R3 two years in a row :hug: Did better this year than against Dinara last year though so it's good she's improving.

Blip in the second Serena but on track to the QF :yeah:

Drine
Serena felt a bit dizzy during this match and called the doc but she managed to get through so congrats ;)
Good match from Nastya :hug:

doni1212

Vaidisova Ruled
May 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I thought that Anastasia played really well and I'm happy she can "keep up" with players like the william sisters. Next year, at this time, she'll be in the top 15 or top 10

friendsita
WTH! at least she's in the next round :rolleyes:

LightWarrior
What a scare. I was so worried during that 2nd set. Serena was obviously sick. Glad she recovered quickly.

disco_rage
Nice try Pav... played some good tennis, Serena just too tough in the end. Hope Serena is feeling better soon because i can see her going all the way.

TheBoiledEgg
May 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Nastya had a chance and didnt take it
15-40 and then 40-15

could have been 3-1 up in 3rd but was 1-3

still Nastya :hug:

fightserena!!!
hope this doesn't hang around. This is NOT what she needs a day before possibly taking on a Frenchwoman with the RG crowd, and worse still if she gets through that and meets JH on the RG clay...please get well Serena!

Wonderful to see her fighting spirit never goes away. I think she obviously threw the last game of the second set so she could start serving in the third.

The definition of a champion.

A Magicman
That was some seriously impressive fight. Hats off to that.

If she can play like in the first set, she will be very hard to beat. Then this might become her Slam year as this is the crucial one for her.

I tend to say "good luck".

Chorophyll
My face is frozen right now in this confused look. How did she go from playing tournament winning tennis to being reduced to a top 200 journeywoman in the 2nd set?

The first set was so good. Controlled hitting. Aggressive returning. Dropshotting. Angling. Aces. Even a serve/volley.

rnwerner
Good match.

Whatever Serena had (illness?), she was not playing bad (beside the middle part of the second set from 2-0 to 5-0)
Pavl. played really well in the beginning of the second and the third set. Both players were hitting a lot of good winners and a lot of errors as well.
Too less variety from Pavl. but i think that nobody really tries to play with variety against serena...

~Cherry*Blossom~
Congrat Serena :yeah: Solid win!

Good luck in the next round :hug:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Awesome first set. She was feeling dizzy in the second, thankfully the meds kicked in before the third.

I am really proud of her for fighting through that dizzy spell :hug: :yeah:

Sergius
May 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Serena:worship:
Good fight from Nastya:kiss: She had some chances, but the better player won. What a pity she has to face world number won each year at RG

Human Nature
The first set is what matters ;..good job Ree ..!

Diesel

Serena fought and I'm proud.

edificio
May 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Pavs needs to work on her serve. She also was worn down by Serena's play, especially after doing so well, when Serena was feeling especially ill. Even at the end, Serena looked so zombielike. Good job to get through.

debopero
Serena :yeah: !

Keadz
Well from 0-0 to 1-6, Serena was amazing then from 1-6 3-0, Anastasia played some great tennis, when Serena still looked threatening.

Rest of the match was bizarre.

Good fight from Serena though.

M.P
i wish pavly is in top 20 now :o
hope she can do it this year

homogenius
May 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Boring stuff.Some nice points here and there but Pavlyuchenkova needs a new serve (all these DF in crucial times and those WEAK 2nd serves) and Serena struggled almost each time when a rally lasted more than 3 strokes.Some good serves and returns (as usual)when needed though.If she meet Justine in the QF I hope she'll bring something else or we'll get another "non-match" like in 2007.

Emina.
May 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Serena! :worship:

Daniel K
May 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
She'll need to step it up/be healthy against Peer but glad she got through this.

AcesHigh
A win is a win. Clutch when it matters as always

Human Nature
Boring stuff.Some nice points here and there but Pavlyuchenkova needs a new serve and Serena struggled almost each time when a rally lasted more than 3 strokes.Some good serves and returns (as usual)when needed though.If she meet Justine in the QF I hope she'll bring something else or we'll get another "non-match" like in 2007.

Yeah right , like justine was so much more impressive ...

hdfb
Serena's ROS saved her today, a lot of free winners of Pav's serves.

A-Bond
May 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Nice try, Pavlyuchenkova :) I'm glad you were able to push her a bit and not lose 1-6 1-6. I'm sure she'll improve and move up further in the rankings. Let's not forget she's only 18 and she has some amazing ball striking from the baseline.

Nice chat at the end :) GL Serena in next Round :)

дalex
May 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well fought, Rena! :worship:

claypova
May 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
:sobbing:

pavly played great, serena was just better in 1st and 3rd set

Radix2
Good fight from Serena. She looked really ill in the second set. Hope she gets some rest and is ready for the next round.

homogenius
Yeah right , like justine was so much more impressive ...

justine wasn't impressive at all and she's not in the QF yet but if she does she'll probably step it up like she always do at the FO.On the opposite, Serena generally struggles to do it here.

StephenUK
May 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Not a pleasant match for the Williams entourage, who looked freezing in the 16C, windy conditions!

Serena was majestic in the first set and it looked like it would be over very easily but she was ill in the second set (dizzy or headache, did anyone else notice that she seemed virtually gruntless in set two) and then it became a question of whether she would recover in time to finish the match. As it was, once she took the pills, she immediately improved and once she broke Nastya to lead 3-1 final set, her dominance was renewed.

Nastya played very well for much of the match with some super groundstrokes and her first serve is good. But the second serve was a total liability as it just seemed grooved for the Serena hitting zone - she won 0% of the points off it in the first set. She really needs to work on it if she is going to move up further in the game - at the moment, I don't see her reaching the top 20 unless she does so.

Blu€
May 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Nice try Nastya, some nice hitting just a few too many UE in the end ;)

Renalicious
May 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Fighter Ree :hug: well done

mykarma
May 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
whats wrong with Ree? she got 2 pills between 2nd and 3rd set... but congrats.. I didnt think that this will be tough for Ree ;)
They said she was dizzy.

RebelPrince
May 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Was on fire the 1st set. Had she not been ill would have been a blowout.

mand
May 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Very happy for Serena! :bounce: She didn't seem well at all after the first set but played great on the third anyway! I hope she's back at 100% on her next match.

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Serena : just pull out of the doubles

Derek.
May 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Aww, Nastya. :sad:
But good effort. :hug:

Well done, Serena. :yeah:
Please keep going.

Serenita
May 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
;)

Beat
May 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM
The first set is what matters

in tennis, it's usually the last set. :o

Dave.
May 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
First set was excellent from Serena, carrying on from yesterday. Have no idea what happened in the second but hopefully she's all better now. Good fight in the 3rd. If she continues playing like this, that QF looks more and more interesting.

Largely unimpressive from Pavlyuchenkova. Going against world no.1 on a grand slam centre court, she's got to do more. She was good in patches but it was all over quite early on in the final set.

Carotastrophe
May 29th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Pavy :sad:

jefrilibra
May 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Phew Serena!

:hearts:

Ntosake
May 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Great start, great finish by Serena.

Don't know what happened in the 2nd, but Serena was firing on all cylinders at the start, and this should have been over in under an hour. I am so glad she hung in there.

Hopefully she will be ok to play the doubles later on.

SoClose
May 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Nice play from Serena in the first set... hope she can play like that for the rest of the tournament :)

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Weird match but a good one. Pavlyuchenkova really impressed me with her play.

ce
May 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
:inlove:

volta
May 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM
wth happened :unsure:

oh well a win is a win , i'll take this :drive:

Keadz
May 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM

:lol:

Stop being so positive, ITS NOT LIKE YOU

fightserena!!!
May 29th, 2010, 12:31 PM
where can we find the press conferences before they are uploaded on the rg website?

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
:lol:

Stop being so positive, ITS NOT LIKE YOU

Ok, I'll try my best next time. :p

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Got the win and that's the main thing. Defenitely looked sick in the second set but Serena fought through. :worship:

Still unimpressed by Pavly. Her game is just so generic and there are so many players who can do what she does but much better. :shrug:

Betten
May 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Very nice match by Pavlyuchenkova. She's only 18, but if she keeps her head together and irons the kinks out of her groundstrokes she'll be a contender soon enough.

I'm curious what Serena will have to say about her 'illness' ;).

tennis-insomniac
May 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM

it's part of her game plan she always act something up to get someone attention when she loses her advantage that way she could get a hold of opponent mentality and crush them when they are open like a lion pretends to be hurt but waiting for their preys to come near and finish them.....

Mashabator
May 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Pavly :sobbing:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Serena :cheer:

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Still unimpressed by Pavly. Her game is just so generic and there are so many players who can do what she does but much better. :shrug:

Pavly played a VERY good match by her standards though.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Pavly played a VERY good match by her standards though.

i think that poster before was right...stop being so positive :scared:

Ntosake
May 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
it's part of her game plan she always act something up to get someone attention when she loses her advantage that way she could get a hold of opponent mentality and crush them when they are open like a lion pretends to be hurt but waiting for their preys to come near and finish them.....

No it's not.

The 1st set was her game plan. And she was executing it quite well, thankyou.

Did you even watch the match? Anyone could clearly see that something was going on with her in that 2nd set, hence the extreme drop in level of play.

Serena will either whip your ass, or get whipped, but she doesn't play these sorts of games.

Olórin
May 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Serena :weirdo:

harloo
May 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm so happy I didn't see this match. I would have been biting my nails.
Thank God she fought through.:worship:

azinna
May 29th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hope that illness was just a brief and limited spell....

rucolo
May 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Good fight in 3rd set, Serena!:D:yeah:

Anastasia :hug:

Nice handshake.:hearts:
Wonder what Serena and Anastasia talked about...

Improve a lot in next match, Serena!;)

IceSkaTennisFan
May 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
hope this doesn't hang around. This is NOT what she needs a day before possibly taking on a Frenchwoman with the RG crowd, and worse still if she gets through that and meets JH on the RG clay...please get well Serena!

Serena has to play singles again tomorrow?

mykarma
May 29th, 2010, 01:29 PM
If Serena pulls out of the doubles I'll be real worried because that girl is so damn stubborn.

That's bull. Serena's game plan is like a hungry lion going after it's prey.

gmak
May 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Nastya :hug:
if only you could've taken those BPs at 1-1 :(

good tournament still for her

sweetpeas
May 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I am really proud of her for fighting through that dizzy spell

RIGHT!

The Dawntreader
May 29th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Pavlyunchenkova's backhand game fluctuates between top 20 ballstriking, to the most crude and needless of errors that befit a top 30 player. Thankfully the former was more evident today. Terrific offensive mindset throughout from the Russian, looking to dictate points rather than purely trade with Williams, and trying to assert herself as the bigger hitter. She certainly looked more imposing off the ground in the second set. Like Sam Smith said on the Beeb, her anticipatory skills are rather good, but someone who isn't particularly agile or naturally speedy. I was impressed by how she was able to retain her court-positioning in high-octane rallies, and come out of the corners triumphantly. Kudos to her for trying to implement this kind of aggressive mindset. Errors and the subsequent rising level of Serena's play contributed, but a good show.

Serena was in exemplarly style early on. Short angles, immaculate depth, penetrating changes in direction and superb sliding, looking every bit the part of a Clay-court champ. Shame she had some physical issues, because it was a pure exhibition she was putting on for the crowd and for television audiences.

Serena's saving grace was the ineffectual second serve of Pavlyunchenkova. Even when the Russian started dictating play off the ground, there was still the inevitable feeling that her second serve would inhibit any chance of her challenge reaching its full fruition.

Temperenka
May 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Odd scoreline for Serena (missed the match though). But a win is a win :yeah:

Good luck in the next round against Peer :scared:

winone23
May 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
great fight Serena! keep going.

Gdsimmons
May 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Whew I couldnt have watch this one. I would have passed out!! But good job for Serena!!! At least she gets a days rest after this one

Zweli
May 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Well done Ree,didn't see the match but when I looked @ live score, I was about to fit ,decided to switch of the comp.Turned it on nervously and had a broad smile on my face,Get well soon baby,thanks for fighting.

mdterp01
May 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thank god I did not see this match. My nerves wouldve been shot. hope this was just bad food or cramps or somethin brief. With her comeback in the third I'm thinkin this issue is over.

I've seen Pav play before and yes...that second serve will limit how far she rises. The thing about players today tho is that bcuz so many hit big serves, the focus is more on the return of serve. So...she can make up some if her returning becomes stellar bcuz she won't win big having to play matches in a tournament with that second serve. She'll get away with it until she reaches a top player who will eat it alive. Footwork for her is also key. Look at Bartoli....not speedy but footwork I would say is better than Serena's most of the time.

Whatever tho......Princess Ree is through and that's what matters. Phew!!!!

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thankfully for Serena the magic pills helpoed and never looked back from when she took them.
Unfortunately for Pavy her inexperience showed.

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
She pulled it off...was a bit worried with the illness. :lol: @ the folks saying Serena was faking it. What???

Congrats to Serena. Overall pretty solid.

Toxic
May 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Well done, Rena!!! :D

supergrunt
May 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
she was probably on her period :crazy:

darrinbaker00
May 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Are you crazy? Margaret Court is the only player, male or female, to win the Grand Slam in two categories (Women's Singles 1970, Mixed Doubles 1963). Serena has a good chance to win two THIS YEAR if she keeps going the way she's going. I, for one, would love to see that.

simonsaystennis
May 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Serena :bounce: I was really worried at the beginning of the third, but control was grabbed quickly. :)

LightWarrior
May 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Are you crazy? Margaret Court is the only player, male or female, to win the Grand Slam in two categories (Women's Singles 1970, Mixed Doubles 1963). Serena has a good chance to win two THIS YEAR if she keeps going the way she's going. I, for one, would love to see that.

Anyway, problem soved : Serena didn't have to play doubles today :)

gmokb
May 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Saw the 1st set and went to bed thinking we had this in the bag.:( Anyway, well done Serena, well done.:worship:

Vaidisova Ruled
May 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
When Pavlyuchenkova was losing in the first rounds of 25k$ Tournaments in Russia (when she was 400-300 in the world), weren't you one of those who were saying that Pavlyuchenkova is overhyped and that she will barely reach top 100 in her career?:confused:

hurricanejeanne
May 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I hope Serena's okay, that was very worrisome.

Oh, Nastya. You day will come. :hug:

KournikovaFan91
May 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Good to see Pavlyuchenkova taking Serena to 3.:yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Rena :yeah:

Hopefully she'll be 100% for her R16 match :)

kwilliams
May 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I hope Serena is okay...

Good luck in the next round!!

Aaron.
May 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Serena :confused: what happened in that second set glad you got it together though :yeah:

adrovi
May 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Nastya :hug:

starin
May 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
:cheer::cheer2:

AnnaK_4ever
May 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
When Pavlyuchenkova was losing in the first rounds of 25k$ Tournaments in Russia (when she was 400-300 in the world), weren't you one of those who were saying that Pavlyuchenkova is overhyped and that she will barely reach top 100 in her career?:confused:

What the hell are you even talking about?

MrSerenaWilliams
May 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/YodaSongz/GIFS/Geisha.gif

nadlinds
May 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Great win Serena :)

Despite 2nd set blip :eek:

friendsita
May 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
there's no press conference from Ree yet, I'm a lil worried about her :rolleyes:

Markus
May 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Great, Congrats! I guess with 4R she is guaranteed to stay at 1, right? Difference between Venus and Serena is now 1,749 points, but Venus can only add 1,720 points.

Destiny
May 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Glad she got through that i don't care how she won just glad she did

Illness be goone with ur bad self SERENA was on it on it

Corswandt
May 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Saturday at Chatrier, decent sized crowd - all of which remained completely uninvolved for the whole length of the match.

Pavlyuchenkova can look like a really good ballstriker in a few points here and there, but most of the time what she really looks like is a hapless slowpoke.

Serena's 2nd serve is a mess, and she was so out of sorts that she was forced to play a more "shock and awe" game (blasting away 2nd serves, etc.) - which come to think of it probably worked in her benefit, as the number of opponents who manage to outplay her in baseline rallies seems to increase with each passing Slam.

tennisphilia
May 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
the problem with serena - she will be struggling in the early rounds but if she reaches the semis, the title is virtually hers.

Rome
May 30th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Saturday at Chatrier, decent sized crowd - all of which remained completely uninvolved for the whole length of the match.

Pavlyuchenkova can look like a really good ballstriker in a few points here and there, but most of the time what she really looks like is a hapless slowpoke.

Serena's 2nd serve is a mess, and she was so out of sorts that she was forced to play a more "shock and awe" game (blasting away 2nd serves, etc.) - which come to think of it probably worked in her benefit, as the number of opponents who manage to outplay her in baseline rallies seems to increase with each passing Slam.

This
I'm not sure what is going on with Serenas ground game. Serena is hitting the ball with way to much nasty spin and not the good Rafa spin. She is not playing lights out tennis anymore not sure if thats do to the rackets

BuTtErFrEnA
May 30th, 2010, 02:17 AM
amazing how people always come with this thing about how many people outplay serena from the baseline yet she's got the most slam wins :lol: and in those slams she ends up with a lot of winners...interesting :lol:

Gdsimmons
May 30th, 2010, 02:26 AM
amazing how people always come with this thing about how many people outplay serena from the baseline yet she's got the most slam wins :lol: and in those slams she ends up with a lot of winners...interesting :lol:

Right!!