PDA

View Full Version : Stefanie Vögele: If you show respect on court, then you’ve lost

Tech1
May 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Vogele comments on what it takes to be a top player:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7134472.ece

moby
May 29th, 2010, 04:51 AM
The article makes it seem as though the quote is by Baltacha?

Interesting quote by Günthardt.

Jankovic has survived the first peak of her career. This, at least, is the theory according to Heinz Günthardt, coach for so many years to Steffi Graf. His point is that, to get to this level, you have played tennis all your life and, almost by definition, you know nothing else but tennis. Your life experience and your happiness are interlinked entirely with your success on the court.

“As you get older,” he explains, “you can’t play like a kid, because you are not a kid, and you haven’t learnt how to handle it as an adult. You have a tendency to get more nervous because you think much more.” In other words, you might stop to consider: do I want to live this locker-room life? Do I want to eat breakfast every morning with my mum? Would I rather be with a boyfriend? And even: do I actually like tennis?

wildemu
May 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
interesting article but is Vogele talking about the Madrid match? She lost to Serena here...

gentenaire
May 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM
This is a very interesting article. The quote is by Baltacha, though.

For people wondering why Justine retired, I think the explanation is in the article.

So Disrespectful
May 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
So that's why Rezai's been winning so much lately!

vejh
May 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Wow!! I know who the cats with sharpest claws are.lol.

It is the unwritten rule of the WTA not to divulge but it must be hard not to get into a fist fight with some of these intimidators. Lord knows what the story would be if I were on the circuit.lol.

Beat
May 29th, 2010, 07:33 AM
that's an interesting read, though having a wrong quote as the title is very unprofessional. and why does the article start with stefanie's wimbledon match? (she played serena at the FO).

and this bit:

Ion Tiriac, the old legend who was running the Madrid tournament, bridles. “I don’t like any woman who says: ‘I go out there and I try to have fun,’ ” he says. “It’s not fun any more, it’s a job. And once you are on a tennis court, you are alone and you have to handle it alone.”

i found rather disturbing. if there isn't a single girl who isn't having fun, then i feel very sorry. for all of them. but maybe it's just tiriac being an ass.

kiwialicat
May 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I might not have been playing much attention lately but I'm positive we already have a thread about this. It was a few days ago before she was about the play Serena.

here: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=409752

bodan
May 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I am in the back of a courtesy car with Jankovic talking about her boyfriend, who plays professional water polo in Italy. They met, she explains, at the Beijing Olympic Games. He was representing Montenegro, she Serbia. They hope to double up again at London 2012.

:haha: ... Jankovic is so funny ...

Carotastrophe
May 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Interesting..

Jogi
May 29th, 2010, 11:40 AM
whats's up, everybody gets quoted these days, hell even Stefanie Vögele :happy:

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
It was Baltacha who said it. Stefanie's part is;

It is late and the spectators from the last game on court have just disappeared into the night. I am sitting with Stefanie Vögele, whom they have been watching, though, to be more accurate, it was Venus Williams they were watching.

Vögele was the punchbag at the other end. Vögele, young, Swiss and supposedly up-and-coming, is 72 places in the world rankings behind Williams and she looked it. She is now feeling beaten up, powerless and apparently on the point of tears.

What is it like to play Venus? “It’s hard because she’s always so aggressive,” she says. “She goes in playing so aggressive and she doesn’t stop.” Who is the toughest person you have ever played? “Venus,” she replies, with a whimper. She pauses and finishes her sentence. “But I haven’t played Serena.”

So melodramatic. :sobbing:

edificio
May 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I read this article a few days ago. Does anyone believe that Voegele whimpered? I think this writer likes to embellish.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM
It was Baltacha who said it. Stefanie's part is;

It is late and the spectators from the last game on court have just disappeared into the night. I am sitting with Stefanie Vögele, whom they have been watching, though, to be more accurate, it was Venus Williams they were watching.

Vögele was the punchbag at the other end. Vögele, young, Swiss and supposedly up-and-coming, is 72 places in the world rankings behind Williams and she looked it. She is now feeling beaten up, powerless and apparently on the point of tears.

What is it like to play Venus? “It’s hard because she’s always so aggressive,” she says. “She goes in playing so aggressive and she doesn’t stop.” Who is the toughest person you have ever played? “Venus,” she replies, with a whimper. She pauses and finishes her sentence. “But I haven’t played Serena.”

So melodramatic. :sobbing:

:hearts:

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I read this article a few days ago. Does anyone believe that Voegele whimpered? I think this writer likes to embellish.
Not at all. :haha: I mean she has played the Williams sisters 3 times now and has been right there with them in every match... So it's just stupid.