PDA

View Full Version : Given the new, more muscular Kirilenko ....

Volcana
May 28th, 2010, 07:54 PM
.... is it time to start expecting some week-in, week-out results? (Go look at her now, and look at her in Sports Illustrated. She's clearly been in the weight room,. and it looks damn hot on her.)

She's starting to resemble the player her fanboy-toys said she would be. Gimme some 'step up' on an every match basis, not just when she's facing a multi-slam winner, and I'll fall in the mud trying to jump on the bandwagon.

She's a little girl, but there just might be a player in there.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
She really stepped it up today. Some of her wins against top players in the past have been because she has fought to the end and grinded them into the ground (e.g Maria at the AO) but today looked like a huge turning point. Those forehand returns in the game she broke Sveta in were incredible and she played aggressive throughout the first and last sets. She does have power, she does have game and she has a great transtional game and volleys to back it up and finish points. Hopefully this really is the start of something great for her. If she beats Schiavone that would really be great as Fran is somebody who has always had Maria's number.

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Kirilenko doesn't have the game to beat the elite consistently no matter what her body is looking like. That's just the simple fact.

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'd be extremely happy.

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Kirilenko doesn't have the game to beat the elite consistently no matter what her body is looking like. That's just the simple fact.

:lol: agreeing a lot lately.

I just watch her and I never see anything special.. EVER. She can be a 15-20 player or maybe creep in at 13-15 but I don't see anything more.

Sergius
May 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM
She used to talk this year that now when she's recovered from her knee injury she can pay more attention to her physical conditions and that she trained hard before the season had started. So we can see the result

Harju.
May 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
But Kiri is more accomplished than you, so by your logic, your comment self-declared fact is invalid. :wavey:

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
:lol: agreeing a lot lately.

I just watch her and I never see anything special.. EVER. She can be a 15-20 player or maybe creep in at 13-15 but I don't see anything more.

:lol: high five. She can barely pick off Sharapova and Kuznetsova playing mediocre.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
But Kiri is more accomplished than you, so by your logic, your comment self-declared fact is invalid. :wavey:
Always speaking sense. :worship: It's the Tati fan in you.

Nikkiri
May 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
She won't ever be a slam winner or top 10 but there's nothing wrong with that. She's a good player, she has heart.

But yeah last year she had a lot of problems with her knee, after Wimbledon she had some treatment and she said she felt better then she worked hard on her fitness.

bandabou
May 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
She's good..don't know about top 5 or even top 10 good. But a player NO seed really would love to play.

Noctis
May 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Anything is possible if you work hard and give heart.
Makiri win a slam Top ten . Whatever her goal is, it'll be fascinating

fervor
May 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM
She has a really pretty game and is a solid all-around player. I think a problem is that she lacks something special that distinguishes her and pushes her to the next level. She always looks beatable, especially by the top players.

But if I think about it, there are players in the top 10 who don't have spectacular games. Radwanska is a good example. I've seen a couple games between Kiri and Radwanska where Kiri looks like the superior player. Yet, Radwanska is #8 in the world.

Sean.
May 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
She's too easily overpowered to be a top 10 player but with some consistency she can stay 15-25, I think.

I've not seen her play for a while, has she flattened out her forehand at all?

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
She's too easily overpowered to be a top 10 player but with some consistency she can stay 15-25, I think.

I've not seen her play for a while, has she flattened out her forehand at all?
She was flattening it out today. It was hilarious to see a player actively avoiding Maria's forehand as Sveta was doing today, considering how crap it usually is.

It was hardly a bad match either.

watchdogfish
May 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
She really stepped it up today. Some of her wins against top players in the past have been because she has fought to the end and grinded them into the ground (e.g Maria at the AO) but today looked like a huge turning point. Those forehand returns in the game she broke Sveta in were incredible and she played aggressive throughout the first and last sets. She does have power, she does have game and she has a great transtional game and volleys to back it up and finish points. Hopefully this really is the start of something great for her. If she beats Schiavone that would really be great as Fran is somebody who has always had Maria's number.

But this is the frustrating thing about being a Maria supporter, we know she's got a game good enough to be in the top 20 at least, but far too often she lacks the consistency and self-belief :sobbing:

Volcana
May 29th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I think she could work out a best year like Myskina's best year, maybe win a slam with a really lucky draw. I certainly don;t see her a multi-year top ten player, but a well timed hot streak and a couple injuries to key contenders ....

fervor
May 29th, 2010, 02:15 AM
A slam? Maybe in her dreams, but she has some massive odds against her.

Unfortunately, she can get bullied around by top players and she isn't consistent enough to push the ball to a victory.

Her increased fitness and strength should help her match up better against power players, which could mean a bump in her overall rankings. But to win a slam is to win for 2 straight weeks against top players. It'll have to be a crazy draw for that to happen.

Right now, a more realistic goal is to try to win a smaller tournament.

mboyle
May 29th, 2010, 02:36 AM
She won't ever be a slam winner or top 10 but there's nothing wrong with that. She's a good player, she has heart.

But yeah last year she had a lot of problems with her knee, after Wimbledon she had some treatment and she said she felt better then she worked hard on her fitness.

I mean, I thought Dinara Safina would never be a top ten player, and she got all the way to number one. People said Wozniacki would never be top ten. She's number two. A lot has changed on the tour since I first started following (2000). The slam contenders are no longer the top ten players. I feel safe saying Kirilenko will never win a slam, but to say she'll never be top ten is silly. All of the old rules about who makes the top ten and who doesn't have vanished. Aravane Rezai is on the verge of being top ten.

Volcana
May 29th, 2010, 03:05 AM
A slam? Maybe in her dreams, but she has some massive odds against her.

Unfortunately, she can get bullied around by top players and she isn't consistent enough to push the ball to a victory.

Her increased fitness and strength should help her match up better against power players, which could mean a bump in her overall rankings. But to win a slam is to win for 2 straight weeks against top players. It'll have to be a crazy draw for that to happen.Here, in order, are the rankings of the players Venus beat to win Wimbledon 2008.

r1 - 197
r2 - 92
r3 - 101
r4 - 42
QF - 60
SF - 5
FR - 6

Crazy draws happen.

fervor
May 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Here, in order, are the rankings of the players Venus beat to win Wimbledon 2008.

r1 - 197
r2 - 92
r3 - 101
r4 - 42
QF - 60
SF - 5
FR - 6

Crazy draws happen.

Heh, okay. I get your point. But Kiri is no Venus. Even with a much easier draw, that means 7 straight wins.

I'm not sure what she needs to change or improve to break into the top ten. It's hard to point to any one thing and say that's the reason why she isn't winning more matches. Some people mentioned flattening out her forehand and more aggressive play, but that also leads to more inconsistent play.

Kovalchuk
May 29th, 2010, 05:56 AM
she's becoming an ultimate ballbasher, and that's a good thing for her

goldenlox
May 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
A big part of this sport is closing out matches. In 2004 she led Serena 4-2 in the 3rd here, and lost.
This year she closed out Sharapova at the AO, and now beat Sveta twice on clay.
Right now she is having a better year than both Kuznetsova and Sharapova.

I always said she could be top 10. People would argue with me about it.
She moves well, volleys well, and has good angles on her groundies.
But you have to finish matches, and she is starting to do that
She won 6 of the last 8 games.

DOUBLEFIST
May 29th, 2010, 06:53 AM
she's becoming an ultimate ballbasher, and that's a good thing for her
Agreed. Because she'll never actually BE the "ultimate ballbasher." So, it really becomes simply an added dimension to her game.

I'm actually happy for Kirklenko. I like to see players fight through their difficult times and make a charge.

Navratil
May 29th, 2010, 07:19 AM
As in Australia: What a great chance for Kirilenko! Maybe she reaches the semifinal this time! Good luck, beauty! ;-)

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
But this is the frustrating thing about being a Maria supporter, we know she's got a game good enough to be in the top 20 at least, but far too often she lacks the consistency and self-belief :sobbing:
A big part of this sport is closing out matches. In 2004 she led Serena 4-2 in the 3rd here, and lost.
This year she closed out Sharapova at the AO, and now beat Sveta twice on clay.
Right now she is having a better year than both Kuznetsova and Sharapova.

I always said she could be top 10. People would argue with me about it.
She moves well, volleys well, and has good angles on her groundies.
But you have to finish matches, and she is starting to do that
She won 6 of the last 8 games.
Yeah. The one of the big differences is that she does seem to believe in herself when she goes out and plays the top players not named Wozniacki (:tape:).