PDA

View Full Version : Ana Ivanovic--finding historical parallels

mboyle
May 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
In light of yet another disappointing loss to a player that a grand slam champion should not have trouble with, I started thinking about historical precedents for Ana Ivanovic. I do this a lot, I know, but really...

Majoli--Iva Majoli won the 97 French open and then disappeared for the rest of her career, essentially. However, she also didn't train much, was seen partying until 2AM with her bff Jennifer Capriati (before she shaped up and came back), and just didn't seem interested. When she did try, she won the Family Circle Cup in 2002 and beat a list of big names. I don't think this is a good comparison. On the surface, Ivanovic resembles Majoli, but Ana seems to be working her ass off. It's just that she almost literally has forgotten how to toss a tennis ball straight up in the air. This loss of skill does not seem to have an explanation. It is not the result of an injury. It is not the result of intense partying. It is as if it happened randomly.

Anyone have a parallel? A player who just forgot how to play tennis seemingly with no impetus?