PDA

View Full Version : RG R3: (5) Dementieva def. Wozniak 6-7 (2) 6-3 6-4

Pebbles
May 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Good to see Lena fighting for this, was a real struggle. Hope that the taping is just precautionary but I think something is up. Aleks :hug:

ED: 1 Ace, 12 DF, 48 Winners, 45 UE's

AW: 5 Aces, 1 DF, 28 Winners, 24 UE's

Cakeisgood
May 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I love Lena D, but this result just breaks my heart. She was just too good at the end, smacking FH winners all over the place.
Aleks was so close. Better luck next time bb, take this form into other tournys!

toby345
She celebrated like she won RG :lol:

nevetssllim
Well done Lena :awww:

Kworb
May 28th, 2010, 06:55 PM
:haha: Elena :weirdo: it was just 3R against a journeywoman, not F against Justine

TheBoiledEgg
got thru on 1 leg PHEW

would have been embarrassing losing to a club hacker with all the luck of net cords in the world.

LadyB
Thank You.
Go Lena :hearts:

jamatthews
Are you Wozniacki in disguise?

I thought you had more pride than that Aleksandra. Got what you deserved.

jefrilibra
Her kneeling! :rolls:

It was an awful match. She clearly was injured.

Aaric
Wow, Elena is really fighting her heart out

Russianboy
omg, i dont know how lena came out of this HOT MESS. almost thought she wont come back.

i feel really sorry for aleks. :(

fung627
Thank god. I am so happy she pulls through.
GL in R4, Lena!!!

iGOAT
What is with Lena lately :rolls: after her second round she jumped like she had won at least a title, and after this she collapsed on the court :eek:.

Nice fighting though, she played alright and fought well. Scheepers should be easy :p.

squig2k
what happened to elena :crying2: i only saw the end

Vincey!
Aleks :sad: she was sp tired in the last 2 sets! but considering her late form, doing that well is beyond any expectations :hug:

saul1333
May 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
So happy she won :bounce:

Make the QF please..

Elwin.
thank god lena :o

VIKA?
Lena:)

Noctis
She won like She won RG, she's one of the French people favourite
Congrats Lena for Winning Scheepers should be easy even injured So congrts on QF

Pansa
May 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Nice win Elena, but easy on the double faults!

Vincey!
The first set was awesome! Great level of play, but the two last sets were a struggle for both player

Viktymise
THANK, GOD. Wozniak did a bad impression of Pushniacki and it was almost enough to put her through to a GS R4.

Belmont Lad
Heart breaking loss for Aleks, she blew so many leads in this match. 7-6 3-2 40-15*, 7-6 3-6, 3-1 40-0*, 7-6, 3-6, 4-2*....:sad::sad::sad: Quality of play was horrid in the last 2 sets from Aleks when she had a lead. Given the year she's had though, good tourney, still a hard loss to swallow.

kaktusino
Oh my god. Madness! What a match. I'm so happy that she has won, this is our girl. After she broke her racket she started to play better.

Beny
Wrong thread title..

should be Dementieva def. Pushniak :rolleyes:

Incredible how Wozniak can not want to go for a winner :weirdo:

Davai Lena!!! Never thought during the match that she will lose, she was agressive..Wozniak did absolutely nothing to win the match but pushing and hitting net-cords :o

ED fan forever
May 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you Lena:worship::worship::worship::worship:
It was too early for you to go out.
Alex:hug:
Shame either player had to lose, they left everything out there.
Lena was battered and bruised and still made it to the US Open final in 04.
She's not done for yet...

Filippo-Nastya
Elena! :hearts:

Her reaction after the last point was cute :awww:

Hope her legs will be OK for R4 :unsure:

Vartan
Good win!

goldenlox
Wozniack just missed being in the QF.
Now Lena has a nice R16 match coming up

NyCPsU
What a terrible match. Elena is so lucky her section has been decimated. She has had her fair share of ridiculous draws this season so this is the draw God's way of making it up to her I guess. Any other section of the draw and shed be on her way home already.

gentenaire
May 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Phew!

She had to work for it, but she managed to step it up when it mattered the most.

nicidle
May 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
lol. pushniak

Without
May 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Mommy Vera hi-5ing Afinogenov at the end?
Is he a part of the family already?

nicidle
Given that she's injured. it's a bonus to get through one more round

M.P
Freaking OMG!!! hope she can heal everything on her leg 1 day rest is needed

she celebrate like she won bijing 2008

sCoTt.ChE.
May 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Good job fighting Elena :hearts: Not much of a spectacle but a win and through to the 4th round. :yeah:
QF should be a minimum now...

Petkorazzi
:) I would have been happy with either of them winning.

I just don't wanna hear people bashing Aleks and calling her a choker. :o She's far from that, she has been in horrible form both tennis wise and physically and she's clearly going towards the right way. Her game is currently stuck between an aggressive baseliner (lacks power and killing shot) and counterpuncher (lacks movement => fitness). Either way, she'll find the right combination soon I'm sure.

But today, this match was on Lena's racket. Lena won simply because she raised her game when she needed to.

Adrian.
What a terrible match this was:help:

Did Aleks actually hit any winner?:scratch::help:

Shame on you Elena, that you needed 3 sets:smash:

Now BYE in R16 :lol:

Edinboro
May 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Heart breaking loss for Aleks, she blew so many leads in this match. 7-6 3-2 40-15*, 7-6 3-6, 3-1 40-0*, 7-6, 3-6, 4-2*....:sad::sad::sad: Quality of play was horrid in the last 2 sets from Aleks when she had a lead. Given the year she's had though, good tourney, still a hard loss to swallow.

This pretty much sums up the match! That break at 1-3 0-40* in the 3rd set was crucial! SO many breaks and clearly she wasnt moving well at all. Omg Never again do I wanna go through that. This match was good for about a half a pack of cigarettes. :lol:

Rematch of last years 1st round coming up.

Derek.
May 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Elena sure likes flirting with danger. :o
Great fight, though. :yeah:

A loss would have been somewhat embarrassing. :tape:

Gdsimmons
May 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
12 df?? ouch

Polikarpov
May 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
What a dramatic reaction. :lol: Would be funny if she won the tournament.

AnDrEi.b
May 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Well done Lena ! :D

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
:bigcry: Aleks. Leading 76 31 then 4-2 in the 3rd and not winning another games in those sets. Too many puffy second serves as well which put Elena in the driving seat right from the start of points.

azmad_88
May 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
definately her emotions will silence those who thinks that she does not care about tennis anymore!

proud of u lena

hope you will have a good day rest

Petkorazzi
May 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
This pretty much sums up the match! That break at 1-3 0-40* in the 3rd set was crucial! SO many breaks and clearly she wasnt moving well at all. Omg Never again do I wanna go through that. This match was good for about a half a pack of cigarettes. :lol:

Rematch of last years 1st round coming up.
:confused: Scheepers got double bagelled by Cibulkova as far as I remember.

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Elena, you suck, you played like hammered dogshit and you were lucky to have won this godawful pukefest of a tennis match.

Yet somehow, you still just absolutely fucking rock. Sweetest of the Sweet 16!

JackFrost
May 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Nice choke in set two and three, Alex. :rolleyes:

Wiggly
May 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I just don't wanna hear people bashing Aleks and calling her a choker. :o She's far from that, she has been in horrible form both tennis wise and physically and she's clearly going towards the right way. Her game is currently stuck between an aggressive baseliner (lacks power and killing shot) and counterpuncher (lacks movement => fitness). Either way, she'll find the right combination soon I'm sure.

Aleks is and aggressuve baseliner, she just lacked the fitness to stay with Dementieva for 2h40 as half the Tour would.

Cakeisgood
May 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I'm still sad :(
But I love Aleks' form in general, everything is so technically proficient (even if it doesn't end up working).

Sergius
May 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
What an awful match from Elena. If her grass season will be bad she should retire/

phelbyn
May 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Way to fight Aleks! This could have been a blow-out. Way to go to find some nice form! Good number of winners vs errors for both players! Hope Aleks can keep it up for future events!

Blu€
May 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Lena phew! You love to make things difficult. Wozniak's second serve is screaming to be killed and yet Elena hit the net or out most times.
She better cut down with the UE & doubles or Scheepers might even have a chance!

Smoothstuff
May 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Lena :worship:
So proud!!

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wozniak is one of the slowest players I've ever seen with no anticipation skills at all, yet she tried to pull Wozniacki in this match. :help:
Now what does it tell about Dementieva who almost lost to her?

Michael!
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
At least a great fight from Elena!
1-3 in 2nd set and 2-4 in 3rd set and she won it, now she has more than good chances to reach the QF, I hope she takes that chance, but her tennis is really bad these days, at least some nice points here and there, congrats :)

Beat
May 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
got thru on 1 leg PHEW

would have been embarrassing losing to a club hacker with all the luck of net cords in the world.

oh please! dementieva didn't seem hampered at all. and it was an embarrassing performance anyway. especially the serve is back to club hacker level, as you put it. but kudos to elena for fighting.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Probably the most pathetic match I have seen this year. Wozniak was an embarassment and resorted to pushing unworthy of her namesake. Congrats to Elena for fighting back.

Viktymise
May 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
:confused: Scheepers got double bagelled by Cibulkova as far as I remember.

Dementieva beat Scheepers in R1 last year. Cibulkova beat A. Bondarenko 6-4 in the 3rd.

rickxx
May 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Lena D:hearts:Some quality fight in the 2nd and 3rd set, totally deserved win.Cut back those DFs please!Hopefully her injury isn't so serious!

Viktymise
May 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Aleks is and aggressuve baseliner, she just lacked the fitness to stay with Dementieva for 2h40 as half the Tour would.

There was absolutely nothing aggressive about "Aleks" today. She waited for Dementieva to hand her the match and it never happened.

elenadrocks
May 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
its not that bad a performance by dementieva as many of u are saying.
i think when u have more winners than errors its pretty good. and lena had like 50 winners. that is pretty decent. yes she is not on form but she didnt play badly, just average

Beny
May 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Wozniak is one of the slowest players I've ever seen with no anticipation skills at all, yet she tried to pull Wozniacki in this match. :help:

You definitely should re-watch the match. Exegarating enormously.

A player with no anticipation skills at all would never become a top30 player.

Yup, Elena wrong-footed her couple of times but most of the times Pushniak knew where the next ball would go (as if it was so difficult against CC Elena)

The match was not THAT bad. Elena´s forehand pretty much won it all. Her forehand worked close to 100% today. Everything else was bad though..

Ryan
May 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Handing out bad reps to people who insult Aleks = :drool: . Good try Aleks, just tightened up when you had the lead. It was a good play to start, because Elena kept missing. She just didn't adjust when she needed to.

Kworb
May 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
its not that bad a performance by dementieva as many of u are saying.
i think when u have more winners than errors its pretty good. and lena had like 50 winners. that is pretty decent. yes she is not on form but she didnt play badly, just average
RG stats are ridiculous this year. If you're not hitting two times as many winners as errors then the match was terrible quality.

cellophane
May 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Lena :yeah:

Aleks, good tournament, girl :hug:

GreenGrass
May 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
OMG im so happy that she managed to pull through :bounce: :hearts:
Aleks :hug:

DeliriousPotato
Aleks :sad:
This day has been pretty depressing for me.

miffedmax

Like Lena's form has ever had anything to do with who's on the other side of the net. (Well, okay, there are a couple exceptions).

But generally, Lena can beat--or get beaten by--any woman who has ever picked up a tennis racket. Including my 71-year-old mother who hasn't played since she was 10.

Emina.
May 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Congrats Elena :hug::bounce::bounce::woohoo:

gmak
May 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Lena :hug: :hearts: :D
that was such a mess, but her fighting spirit got her through :worship:

clearly she was hampered, still you don't expect her to be troubled by Scheepers in 4R

tdot.
May 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Aleks :bigcry:

qwertyed
May 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
from Elena Dementieva facebook page

" To be honest with you, I was very close to stop. I had so much pain, but I didn't want to stop the match. I was trying to fight for every point. This tournament is just so important to me, so I was trying to do my best no matter what. And I had some painkiller from the doctor, so I was able to play, but not the best... performance. I'm very proud that I was able to stay strong and fight no matter what"

homogenius
May 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
:lol: Can't believe she's in the 4th round

Drimal
May 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I can't believe she still managed to win somehow. :speakles:

Elena, big fighter I love you :worship:

No more scary matches please.

SoClose
May 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Wozniak needs to learn how to play tennis. :tape:

Edinboro
May 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
from Elena Dementieva facebook page

" To be honest with you, I was very close to stop. I had so much pain, but I didn't want to stop the match. I was trying to fight for every point. This tournament is just so important to me, so I was trying to do my best no matter what. And I had some painkiller from the doctor, so I was able to play, but not the best... performance. I'm very proud that I was able to stay strong and fight no matter what"

Omg Elena rest up tomorrow! :sad:

itzhak
May 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Elena after the match:

"To be honest with you, I was very close to stop. I had so much pain, but I didn't want to stop the match. I was trying to fight for every point. This tournament is just so important to me, so I was trying to do my best no matter what. And I had some painkiller from the doctor, so I was able to play, but not the best performance. I'm very proud that I was able to stay strong and fight no matter what"

Edinboro
May 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Check out this headline...

The 28-year-old Dementieva, a two-time U.S. Open finalist, made it past the third round in Paris for the first time in her career. She seemed relieved at the end, burying her head in her hands after match point while falling to the ground.

Oh my, who writes this stuff lmao?

rnwerner
May 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM
What a intensive match. Nearly 3 hours and it was epic in its monotone points.
It was like they played the same point for 200 times in a row.
But Dementieva found a way out of this.

It was like both know that Scheepers is the next opponent and both wanted to win absolutely because it was like a 4th round...

gardengnome3
May 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Lovely celebration, by the way lol

The Dawntreader
May 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Wozniak's second serve- Without a doubt, the joke of the tour.

Dementieva was labouring through every rally on one leg, and still Wozniak refrained from any kind of pro-activeness. Wacko match.

Randy H
May 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Wozniak's second serve- Without a doubt, the joke of the tour.

Dementieva was labouring through every rally on one leg, and still Wozniak refrained from any kind of pro-activeness. Wacko match.

Then you obviously haven't seen a lot of players on the tour :tape: There are far worse second serves :lol:

Congrats to Elena, she's had an absolute dream draw here, which she's obviously needed if she's injured.

Too bad for Aleks, but a great tournament after a rough start to the year. Best of luck for the grass court season!

Slutati
May 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Fuck yes! :woohoo: She was clearly injured, but good to see her winning. :hearts:

cn ireland
May 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Well done for coming through this match Elena:yeah:!

Hope you're better for R4!

Fantasy Hero
May 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
i'm so sorry they had to face each other, as they are two of my fave girls but Alex was doing surprisingle good after the terrible past weeks :hug: so i'm pretty surprised she got that far :yeah:
Lena, i picked you to win it all :weirdo:

Brena
May 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Three sets with Wozniak?? Oh, Elena...
I hope Wozniak played well.

TheBoiledEgg
May 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM
oh please! dementieva didn't seem hampered at all. and it was an embarrassing performance anyway. especially the serve is back to club hacker level, as you put it. but kudos to elena for fighting.

arent you Swiss supposed to stay out of arguments

Fantasy Hero
May 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
arent you Swiss supposed to stay out of arguments

:rolls: this post is GOAT :happy:

Josh.
May 28th, 2010, 10:37 PM
GOAT Battle. Lena, come on now :help: Glad Wozniak could defend some of her points.

simonsaystennis
May 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
This would have been terrible if Elena lost. Glad she pulled through!

samsam4087
May 28th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Well done Elena

Njay16
May 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Great effort Aleks :hug: Seems to be playing well, and despite what the oh so wise posters of TF say, she played well. A bit passive at times, but she needed a solid result at a major. Hopefully she will carry this form into the grass court season.

Lena :yeah:

LCS
May 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Oh my god. Madness! What a match. I'm so happy that she has won, this is our girl. After she broke her racket she started to play better.

She broke a racket? :spit: That's so not Elena :tape: but glad it helped :lol:

Check out this headline...

The 28-year-old Dementieva, a two-time U.S. Open finalist, made it past the third round in Paris for the first time in her career. She seemed relieved at the end, burying her head in her hands after match point while falling to the ground.

Oh my, who writes this stuff lmao?

Hilarious stuff!

I don't understand all the people bashing Elena's performance! Get your facts straight, she won while fighting a lot of pain and people are still whining about it going to 3 sets and about the amount of double-faults. If you know how to serve without using legs then feel free to share.

cogent53
May 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Gutsy performance from Elena. Her movement is key to her game and she is usually such a fit player. Don't see her taped up often - ever! Running for drop shots and deep to the backhand was a problem but Wozniak wasn't good enough to exploit her lack of mobility. Elena's great ball striking and the way she went for her shots won her the match, but she's not going to win the tournament limping around.

Anyone know the exact problem?

Vartan
May 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Wozniak you are not Wozniacki, you won't push yourself to the top.

Pops Maellard
May 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Lena. :hug: Well done.

Zojirushi
May 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Great fight Lena:worship:

miffedmax
May 29th, 2010, 12:48 AM
She broke a racket? :spit: That's so not Elena :tape: but glad it helped :lol:

Hilarious stuff!

I don't understand all the people bashing Elena's performance! Get your facts straight, she won while fighting a lot of pain and people are still whining about it going to 3 sets and about the amount of double-faults. If you know how to serve without using legs then feel free to share.

Well, let's be honest. It's not like Lena has to be hurt to hit a gazillion doublefaults and get pushed to three sets by a lower-ranked player.

But that was the case today.

Pebbles
May 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Well, let's be honest. It's not like Lena has to be hurt to hit a gazillion doublefaults and get pushed to three sets by a lower-ranked player.

To your credit Max, you did say early on that a taped Lena would still beat Aleks. Right you were, although only just :sobbing:

Jajaloo
May 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
She was in pain and still won. What a champion. So many other players would've just retired.

zhengjie_lina
May 29th, 2010, 02:11 AM
lena please win a slam for yourself!!!

claypova
May 29th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Lena :hearts:

well done, good luck next round :)

RND
May 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah how come Aleks is suddenly playing so well again? :lol: Credits to her for such a fight. :)

Now finally some luck with the draw for Lena. :secret: :hug: :D

C. W. Fields
May 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know exactly what Elena's leg problem is?

lovlenad
May 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
hope lena is ok with the coming fight

BuTtErFrEnA
May 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
She celebrated like she won RG :lol:

don't say this around max you know who :scared:

LCS
May 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Doublefaultelena is so 2004. That trend has only been seen in glimpses in the past 3 years.

Carotastrophe
May 29th, 2010, 10:21 AM
:o Alek :sad: :hug:
Lena! :yeah:
Really close

SwingVolley93
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:06 AM
Still have nightmares about this.
Aleks :sobbing:

cowsonice
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:32 AM
Still have nightmares about this.
Lena :sad:

Pops Maellard
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:43 AM
:weirdo:

MH0861
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM
What is with Lena lately :rolls: after her second round she jumped like she had won at least a title, and after this she collapsed on the court :eek:.

Re-reading this post made me :awww:

iGOAT
Feb 21st, 2012, 03:02 AM
Re-reading this post made me :awww:
:hysteric: It all makes sense now…

Danars
Feb 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM
That match had everything :worship: I miss Dementieva :sad: