PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova throws shade at fist-pumpers

Kworb
May 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
:eek: Hopefully we get Ana's response.

Q. She was saying, too, that she loves the fight, and she's trying to learn to enjoy it. Do you enjoy the fight when you lose? That's a tricky thing with players. Everyone says, I love to fight. It's great to love to fight when you win. But can you actually come off a court after you lose and say, God, that was great; lost 7 6 in the third; it was fun being out there, screaming, swearing, the whole thing?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think there are different ways of showing your will to fight. I mean, there's you know, I've played some opponents where they've said, Come on after every single point they've won and pump their fist.
Deep down inside I know they're not really great fighters, and I know that mentally I'm much stronger than them.

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Shes right. :shrug:

Vartan
May 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
There must be something in the Rain, this RG has been crazy.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
She is right.

But this week has just been full of quotes. :lol:

MegaDethly
May 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Sharapova is right as usual.

Noctis
May 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
True.

Vaidisova Ruled
May 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I read this a few minutes ago, and I thought that she said it perfectly !

Sergius
May 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Who's she talking about?:rolleyes::lol:
Really, I think she's right, but... I couldn't imagine I would say this any day, cause I can't stand Ivanovic and her fist-pumping at all, but now I start feeling sympathy for her. She's in such a big slump and now everyone's so bitchy with her: first JJ (that was cute though), now Maria.
Maybe Maria didn't say this concerning Ana though:confused:

madmax
May 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Preach it Masha:devil: You know she can't be bothered by those insecure pretenders

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
How do you know she's talking about Ana? Ana isn't the only person who pumps her fist. :weirdo:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Add Henin to the list.

Sergius
May 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
How do you know she's talking about Ana? Ana isn't the only person who pumps her fist. :weirdo:

She's the one who does it way too annoying:lol:

tennisbum79
What a week it has been

Miss Amor
She is right, she is mentally stronger than most of them.

JJandAna4ever
May 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Whoa, Masha just owned that girl. Ma$ha usually only say pump and say common when:

1. She hits a good shot
2. She stuggled the entire rally but manage to win it
3. She wins important points

Those are legitimate reasons to do those things. That lame girl she was talking about does it on every point, on easy errors and it just show how desperate and insecure she is.

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Sharapova is so damn right. Azarenka does that every point against Serena and other top players trying to be so over intense and just ends up losing. It's so annoying to watch people trying to lie through their choking tendencies.

volta
May 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
and the quotes keep on coming :haha: i wonder who's next

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Kuznetsova doesn't do the come-on and fist pumping, but she always tries to do that over the top grunt whenever she feels she is tight and near choking.

:rolleyes:

brickhousesupporter
May 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Q. She was saying, too, that she loves the fight, and she's trying to learn to enjoy it. Do you enjoy the fight when you lose? That's a tricky thing with players. Everyone says, I love to fight. It's great to love to fight when you win. But can you actually come off a court after you lose and say, God, that was great; lost 7 6 in the third; it was fun being out there, screaming, swearing, the whole thing?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think there are different ways of showing your will to fight. I mean, there's you know, I've played some opponents where they've said, Come on after every single point they've won and pump their fist.
Deep down inside I know they're not really great fighters, and I know that mentally I'm much stronger than them.

http://www.open-tennis.com/images/winners/serena_williams.jpg

Remember this fist pump and come on Maria........were you mentally stronger than her?

Kworb, are you trolling the interviews looking for some type of controversy?

tennisbum79
May 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
and the quotes keep on coming :haha: i wonder who's next
JJ and Serena have been holding back... stay tuned.

Also, Stosur wha has been very confident in her chances, has not said anything worh quoting.
She is also due

Polikarpov
May 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
As if Ana's the only one who fistpumps on almost every point. Admittedly, mental toughness is something Ana lacks so I guess she compensates by fistpumping. In fairness to Ana, she has toned down her fistpumping a lot these days.

Reptilia
May 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Remember this fist pump and come on Maria........were you mentally stronger than her?

Lol I think its safe to say she's not talking about Serena in this interview

Break My Rapture
May 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Sharapova is so damn right. Azarenka does that every point against Serena and other top players trying to be so over intense and just ends up losing. It's so annoying to watch people trying to lie through their choking tendencies.
:rolleyes: Don't make this about Vika. This has nothing to do with her, nor does it with Ana. Maria said it subtle and in general. That's way better than players who appear to have no brain and just let their tongue roll, pointing specifically at certain players and don't think about consequences.

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes: Don't make this about Vika. This has nothing to do with her, nor does it with Ana. Maria said it subtle and in general. That's way better than players who appear to have no brain and just let their tongue roll, pointing specifically at certain players and don't think about consequences.

Go watch Azarenka play Serena in 2009 and 2010 Melbourne. Had she not wasted all the little energy she had fist pumping, biting her lip, gritting her teeth, yelling come on after every-single-point she might have not had to retire. 2010 was just more of the same. She tries too hard.

BournemouthBoy
May 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
shes said this to make Henin think about shouting ALLEZ after every point, trying to get in Henins head imo

Dementieva_Dude
May 28th, 2010, 06:21 PM
This tournament has been full of great quotes! All we need is Hingis to say something good, and it'll ALMOST be like the late 90s again :hearts:

tennisbum79
May 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
shes said this to make Henin think about shouting ALLEZ after every point, trying to get in Henins head imo
That is not a bad move.
Pre-emptive psychological warfare

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Never thought of that. :eek:

The Daviator
LOL, is Maria talking about herself from 2004-2006?

Slutati
My God, I'm loving Sharapova more and more. :lol:
Tell it cista!

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM

Why would Henin or Serena or any great champion care about what Sharapova has to say? :confused:

This is definitely not a tactic

toby345
May 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM
And there comes the Sharapova quote :worship: What bitchy French Open these are :worship:

Coffee&TV
May 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Time to change my siggy with that quote. :p

WIMBLY2004
May 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Why would Henin or Serena or any great champion care about what Sharapova has to say? :confused:

This is definitely not a tactic

Obviously the reporters thought they would, that's why in Maria's interview, reporters kept repeating whatever Henin just said to get feedback from Maria, which was returned with some laugh from Maria, Maria just didn't give a damn.

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM
This tournament has been full of great quotes! All we need is Hingis to say something good, and it'll ALMOST be like the late 90s again :hearts:

Is Hingis still in Paris? Could get your wish. :D

AcesHigh
May 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Obviously the reporters thought they would, that's why in Maria's interview, reporters kept repeating whatever Henin just said to get feedback from Maria, which was returned with some laugh from Maria, Maria just didn't give a damn.

I'm sure she doesnt care either.. ppl here just seem to create drama that doesnt exist.

Joe.
May 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Bow down to the queen bitches. :worship:
Shes always right. :)

faboozadoo15
May 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM

:tape: :help: Just like how you troll every Maria related thread? :haha:

ptitnavet
May 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Maria is true but in the "Come on" way and fist-pumpers I think : people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :rolleyes:

Aaric
May 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Gracias María

lilimi
May 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
:lol: and some people say the FO suck!:lol:
concerning Maria quote, I agree with her, but there was a time when she was really annoying in her fistpumps too. Concerning Ana-if she's the one she's referring to - i think it's true, Ana is too nice and need to pump herself up, but she never does it to annoy her opponent and it's less annoying than some useless grunts...unfortunately, it's been a while I haven't seen the cutest fistpump on the tour :bigcry: Ana has nothing to ajde about lately :lol::sad:
but as some posters said, I think maria is mostly talking about Justine

hurricanejeanne
May 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
This French has been amazing with the PMS and the bitchiness! :hearts::drool:

toby345
May 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
*cough* Oudin *cough*

Joana
May 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Do people have the attention span of a goldfish or what? Sharapova used to do exactly the same thing against everyone, in every situation. Talk about pot, kettle, etc.

Sharapowerr
May 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
When i see Ana do the fist pumping , it doesn't look real to me, i think she s metioning Ana , Maria does it as well but mostly of the time , when she makes a nice winner or at important points.

Lady
May 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Do people have the attention span of a goldfish or what? Sharapova used to do exactly the same thing against everyone, in every situation. Talk about pot, kettle, etc.

That's what I don't understand. Especially from Maria fans. Masha used to do it on double faults and net cords as well, what's with all the hypocrisy now?

What happened in those last 2 years? I remember the base of Maria fans supporting Maria while being respectful to others, what changed?

edificio
May 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Fiercest tennis foto ever!

But obviously Serena didn't do that on every point. Even Venus will fist pump when she gets to what she sees as the winning turning point.

Maria used to do it a lot more.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM

:rolls:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
That's what I don't understand. Especially from Maria fans. Masha used to do it on double faults and net cords as well, what's with all the hypocrisy now?

What happened in those last 2 years? I remember the base of Maria fans supporting Maria while being respectful to others, what changed?

she started not winning as much :shrug:

honestly maria used to fist pump and say 'come on' almost all the time :lol: from the first game :o

it's funny to hear this quote from her but at the same time she was is mentally tougher than a whole lot of the tour

mboyle
May 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The tour has officially gone back to the glory bitch years of 99-01. Now we just need some glam babe to come along and remind us that they aren't tennis players, they're stars. Oh and some decent tennis would be good too...

nelsondan
May 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
There is a different aura about Maria this tournament. The drop shots, the confidence, the lack of double faults, and a less guarded attitude about what she says. She looks 2 or 3 kilos more than in January, and stronger. Several matches in a row she has finished strongly. If she plays well enough against Henin to win, she will probably make it to the fifth round and give Serena a match worthy of her talents. A bad, lack-lustre effort against Henin would be a real setback for Maria. A victory could be a breakthrough.

Mr. Federerpov
May 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
*cough* Oudin *cough*

THIS. and only THIS.

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
This is why I did a 180 on TOB.

2moretogo
May 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Go watch Azarenka play Serena in 2009 and 2010 Melbourne. Had she not wasted all the little energy she had fist pumping, biting her lip, gritting her teeth, yelling come on after every-single-point she might have not had to retire. 2010 was just more of the same. She tries too hard.

:rolls::rolls::rolls: This shit right here. Yes, because fist pumping induces dizziness and damn near fainting. This forum just brings the lols.

Sally Todd
May 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Maria. :D

I wish I liked her game as much as her interviews. She's one of the most honest and thoughtful players in interviews. It's one area where Serena could learn from her. There aren't many right now. :lol:

When Maria plays her best, she is awesome. I'd like to see her truly make a comeback, even if she isn't one of my faves.

danieln1
May 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It´s not about Ana, a lot of players say come on every time to Maria...

bellascarlett
May 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
:lol: I don't think she meant to be as controversial as some think.

And yes, Maria used to celebrate winning points more but it was mostly on her winners or on really important points. And she was never as annoying as the infamous fist-pumpers nowadays.

mauresmofan
May 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I don't like her but that's a good answer - why don't they ask her a relevent question though like why does it take her soooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg to serve the ball.

IceSkaTennisFan
May 28th, 2010, 09:18 PM
She's just preparing herself for Henin.

Vartan
May 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
This is why I did a 180 on TOB.

In a good or bad way?

bandabou
May 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
:lol: True...like all those guys in the NBA doing the chest-bumping and dancing when they are up 20 points, but as soon as they go down..it's all:scared: :unsure:

If Maria aimed it at Ivanovic, she's probably right.

Serena y Monica
May 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
OK...what Maria said is true...but truth is...she's one of those people. She is mentally strong but not always and she fist pumps alot...even during her big losses. I don't think she's that confident when playing the sisters and some others...but she's still fist pumping away.

.ivy.
May 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I don't like her but that's a good answer - why don't they ask her a relevent question though like why does it take her soooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg to serve the ball.

Excuse you, it takes patience and skill to make sure her hair is pushed just right behind her ear.

Amateurs. :rolleyes:

Craig.
May 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Masha hatazzzzz :haha:

She's right :shrug:

And to say that she used to be in the same position? Even in '04, she was mentally stronger than A LOT of players out there.

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
In a good or bad way?

See my sig ;) (the red part).

LoveFifteen
May 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Maria certainly used to do an awful lot of fist pumping and "come on" shouting herself. :shrug:

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Excuse you, it takes patience and skill to make sure her hair is pushed just right behind her ear.

Plus, didn't she say she tried basketball and was awful at it? Bouncing balls is HARD!

Marilyn Monheaux
May 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM

She doesn't do that anymore since Madrid.:sobbing: Now she simply stands a little longer, glares at her opponent and takes a deep and skillful breath!:worship:

Vartan
May 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM
See my sig ;) (the red part).

But she was always in your sig.

bandabou
May 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hmmm....now we'll see tomorrow how much come on Maria herself's gonna shout tomorrow. 'Cause on clay, don't think she's that much mentally tougher than Juju, no?

Emina.
May 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Maria!:rocker:

miffedmax
May 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
But she was always in your sig.
But I haven't disliked her since 04/05, or whenever it was I first started calling her TOB. I really used to only like Lena, Nastya and Vee.

MisterMan
May 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
ahaha Shaza takin a dig at Ana..seems like everyone is sick of that squeeky sneakered fist pumper lol

Serenita
May 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
She's gonna have to play a fist pumper and allez screaming tomorrow :shrug:

timafi
May 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
what's in the water they serve at RG?:devil: :lol:

slamchamp
May 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I honestly can't love maria more:hearts:

simonsaystennis
May 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Maria :worship:

narutos
May 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
She's gonna have to play a fist pumper and allez screaming tomorrow :shrug:

She is used to:shrug:

hankqq
May 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
LOL, is Maria talking about herself from 2004-2006?

exactly :lol: I was gonna say, Sharapova shouldn't be saying this, as she was known for pumping her fist and screaming "c'mon!" (sometimes "vamos" too :weirdo: ), even when her opponent missed the ball or double faulted. Kind of hypocritcal of her. I agree Maria has toned this behavior down these days, but she's still not a saint either :lol: :p

narutos
May 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM
exactly :lol: I was gonna say, Sharapova shouldn't be saying this, as she was known for pumping her fist and screaming "c'mon!" (sometimes "vamos" too :weirdo: ). Kind of hypocritcal of her. I agree Maria has toned this behavior down, but she's not a saint either :lol: :p

After big winners I would for sure do the same.

nelsondan
May 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
exactly :lol: I was gonna say, Sharapova shouldn't be saying this, as she was known for pumping her fist and screaming "c'mon!" (sometimes "vamos" too :weirdo: ), even when her opponent missed the ball or double faulted. Kind of hypocritcal of her. I agree Maria has toned this behavior down these days, but she's still not a saint either :lol: :p

I miss her doodles. Sometimes I wish she was still more naive and immature. I love Maria, the grownup, but sometimes I miss Maria, the kid.

Joana
May 28th, 2010, 10:49 PM
So I guess we should now expect headlines like:
"Jankovic throws shade at tournament hoggers"
"Safina disgusted at foul language on court"
"Wozniacki speaks up against passive baseliners"
"Rezai demands more humility and less controversy in off court interviews"

thrust
May 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
There must be something in the Rain, this RG has been crazy.

SO TRUE-LOL!! Maria tough, is full of crap. What about her fist pumps and come ons? Maria is a total phony!

duhcity
May 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Best French Open ever.

The Dawntreader
May 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
When Maria came on tour, she frequently fist-pummed and yelled 'c'mon'.

Irony much:lol:

LCS
May 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Preach it :lol:

Sally Todd
May 29th, 2010, 12:30 AM

:lol: Your Edna Krabappel avatar is perfect for this post.

sre84
May 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Maria is a such liar.She is grunting all the time.If she plays better,scream that she produce is louder.WTF is she talking about.If she plays bad,suddenly scream disappears.Maybe she needs more attention, cause people almost forgot her. Good luck at RG, but she isn't competent to talk about this issue.

Lachy
May 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Why didn't the OP include the rest of the quote?? She actually fully explained her point there really well? :shrug:

$uricate
May 29th, 2010, 01:06 AM
In fairness to Ana, she has toned down her fistpumping a lot these days.

Its kinda hard to fistpump double faults and receiving of bagels though :p

Corswandt
May 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
*cough* Oudin *cough*

Probably.

Corswandt
May 29th, 2010, 01:12 AM

Boo fucking hoo.

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
The tour has officially gone back to the glory bitch years of 99-01. Now we just need some glam babe to come along and remind us that they aren't tennis players, they're stars. Oh and some decent tennis would be good too...
Oh, I miss Anna so much. :sobbing:

Jajaloo
May 29th, 2010, 02:17 AM
OMG Sharapova! :bowdown: I didn't expect her to say this. IS her last name Jankovic? :lol:

Danči Dementia
May 29th, 2010, 03:28 AM
what is she talking about???

she did the exact same thing :weirdo: :shrug:

she was a fist bumper and come on-er..............at some point she started with the "vamos"...totally with english speaker accent ....VAMOUUUUS! :rolleyes:

I´m guessing she doesn´t does that anymore, I haven´t seen her playing in ages....

Jacey
May 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Why didn't the OP include the rest of the quote?? She actually fully explained her point there really well? :shrug:

umm did Maria fully know what was already being said in the press by other players?

Because in the past when she's told what others have said she most often doesn't answer or skirts around the question or just out-right says she's not getting into a he-said-she-said war of words with someone.(something to that effect)

either way, she is mentally stronger. its no secret.....its quite possible other players have mentioned this also ;)
she also gives props to other players for being mentally strong(Serena & Venus)by name.

either way...I think we're all gonna hear alot of "come on" and "allez" next match :p

osseous
May 29th, 2010, 04:23 AM
She is right. ;)

duhcity
May 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM
what the fuck is throws shade
is it sunny

Apoleb
May 29th, 2010, 05:05 AM

:sobbing:

I think Joana killed the thread.

moby
May 29th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Why didn't the OP include the rest of the quote?? She actually fully explained her point there really well? :shrug:The whole point of the Kworb threads are to stir shit. :worship:
And you find that you can do that with almost every player by selective quoting.

It's working. :angel:

thegreendestiny
May 29th, 2010, 05:08 AM
She is definitely referring to that fluke-champion two years ago who screams come on even on foot fault.

Langers
May 29th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Ummm she's the queen of fist pumping herself? :help:

Monzanator
May 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM
She's right, there is nobody on the tour that could claim a greater mental strenght then Maria :shrug:

DOUBLEFIST
May 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
is it sunny
Look it up.

Andy.
May 29th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Ummm she's the queen of fist pumping herself? :help:
Yeah but when Maria (and Serena) do it it actually has substance and looks believable. Its part of the intimidation factor. When others do it (not mentioning any names) it can look a little desperate.

Serenita
May 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
She's right, there is nobody on the tour that could claim a greater mental strenght then Maria :shrug:

oooh really :lol::lol::lol:

Caralenko
May 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
105 responses to a quote that wasn't offensive in the slightest :lol:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM

It's Maria Sharapova. :inlove:

Serenita
May 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
It's Maria Sharapova. :inlove:

If it was Rezai...then this thread would have exploded. :shrug:

Pova doesnt mean much... these day's. ;)

Vaidisova Ruled
May 29th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Yeah, but Rezai would have never said something like that. Maria is way smarter that her.

Also, so much drama over nothing.

Cakeisgood
May 29th, 2010, 08:30 AM
She is definitely referring to that fluke-champion two years ago who screams come on even on foot fault.

She actually goes Ajde. duh.

Caralenko
May 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yeah, but Rezai would have never said something like that. Maria is way smarter that her.

Also, so much drama over nothing.

Rezai would probably have said that all the other girls are loud mouth assholes. :lol: THAT would've exploded!

ViennaCalling
May 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Good and true answer :yeah:

Joe.
May 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM

:ras:

Cp6uja
May 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
When Ana Ivanovic was on her peak (may2007/june2008) - reach 3GS finals in 13 months (including 1 title), over 50 weeks in TOP5 (including 10+ at #1)... she is IN SAME TIME chosen from others WTA TOP100 players for Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Karen Krantzcke Sportmanship Award!

I'm (big) fan of Jankovic and Sharapova, but fact is that this two is not two most popular players on tour (I'm talking about others players, not about fans and crowd) and more they close to #1, they are more "friendly" and "polite" with rest of tour. But I'm not surprised that today when Ana is in so deep slump and even subject of jokes b/c poor state of her current game, THIS TWO is first who has ambition to teach and criticize in public Ana Ivanovic about her behavior from past :rolleyes:

Danči Dementia
May 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah but when Maria do it it actually has substance and looks believable. Its part of the intimidation factor. When others do it (not mentioning any names) it can look a little desperate.

:rolls:

she still does it doesn´t she??? :shrug:

she is commenting about somthing SHE does as well.

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
She fist pumps herself.... what a bimbo.

Shafanovic.
May 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
When Ana Ivanovic was on her peak (may2007/june2008) - reach 3GS finals in 13 months (including 1 title), over 50 weeks in TOP5 (including 10+ at #1)... she is IN SAME TIME chosen from others WTA TOP100 players for Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Karen Krantzcke Sportmanship Award!

I'm (big) fan of Jankovic and Sharapova, but fact is that this two is not two most popular players on tour (I'm talking about others players, not about fans and crowd) and more they close to #1, they are more "friendly" and "polite" with rest of tour. But I'm not surprised that today when Ana is in so deep slump and even subject of jokes b/c poor state of her current game, THIS TWO is first who has ambition to teach and criticize in public Ana Ivanovic about her behavior from past :rolleyes:

FYI, maria never mentioned any names. no need to get defensive :weirdo:

Chorophyll
May 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM
is it sunny

Get current, girl. No shade.

Monzanator
May 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
oooh really :lol::lol::lol:

You mean the sisters? Well, they're both very confident and expect to win against anybody out there but in the true mindset department they're at par with Sharapova at best. Certainly they're both one of the very, very few who can actually outplay Sharapova but that doesn't mean they're stronger mentally, that just proves they're two of the best players in the modern game. Thanks to her mindset Maria can legitimately turn the match against anybody out there minus the sisters & the Belgians in which cases she can't purely rely on her mind and has to bring some game skills to the table.

miffedmax
May 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Lena's endorsing shades.

Lena also has the most hilariously girly fist pumps in the whole WTA. Seriously, I've seen players in the 10s whose fist pumps are more intimidating than hers.

Ashi
May 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Kuznetsova doesn't do the come-on and fist pumping, but she always tries to do that over the top grunt whenever she feels she is tight and near choking.

:rolleyes:

this.

Stamp Paid
May 29th, 2010, 03:00 PM

What happened in those last 2 years? I remember the base of Maria fans supporting Maria while being respectful to others, what changed?Its easy to be respectful to others when your favorite player is uninjured and playing well :lol::lol::lol:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Full quote:

“Deep down inside I know they're not really great fighters, and I know that mentally I'm much stronger than them. The fight is not so much about just the winning a point and just the celebration. It's the whole process of working up to that match, working up to a tournament, of mentally being strong and having a really good attitude.”

supergrunt
May 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM
kudos for keepin it real for once masha!

-Sonic-
May 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM

and 100 of them pretty much saying the same thing :lol:

We get it. You all think that she fist pumps a lot too.

Andrew Laeddis
May 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM

:lol:

LudwigDvorak
May 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I find it more interesting that the thread-starter from the Netherlands is privy to an American slang term like "shade." Pretty hip cat.

supergrunt
May 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I've never heard the slang term "shade" in my life

supergrunt
May 29th, 2010, 04:35 PM
and I'm pretty hip

miffedmax
May 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
and I'm pretty hip

Yeah. I used to be, too. :sobbing:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Yeah. I used to be, too. :sobbing:

he said used to be hip not used to have a hip :p *snicker*

Mrs. Peel
May 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Sharapova now pumping her fist on Henin's errors. :tape:

Polikarpov
May 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM

:worship:

Sean.
May 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM

Ya, she's fist pumping when Henin misses her 1st serve too & before the start of each point. :tape: Hypocite much!

Shafanovic.
May 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
^ she does it before every point to pump herself up. she's not doing it to their face. :rolleyes:

and she does it even if she lost the previous point :weirdo:

Slutiana
May 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ya, she's fist pumping when Henin misses her 1st serve too & before the start of each point. :tape: Hypocite much!
She does it after every point, quietly, to pump herself up.

bandabou
May 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
:lol: suuurrrreee...of courseee!

Vartan
May 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
She does... She always has her fist clutched, even if she loses the point, to pump herself up.

Marilyn Monheaux
May 29th, 2010, 08:23 PM
^^She also "c'mon-ed" after one unforced error!!!!!11!!11!!1! She's such a hypocritical bitch!:fiery: Burn the witch!!!:mad:

Shafanovic.
May 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
^ :bowdown:

Nicolás89
May 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I think Masha is talking about Oudin actually.

Nicolás89
May 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM

She does it to herself not in people's faces like others. :weirdo:

the cat
May 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM

What's the big deal about tennis players saying come on? Of course Maria Sharapova could have been talking about herself. :lol:

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
She does it after every point, quietly, to pump herself up.

This.

It's not like she shouted out of this world into Justine's face. :weirdo:

manu32
May 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
the umpire was great....henin's old bad stuff is always there and "allez" on DF is so classy....great fight Maria

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
What's the big deal about tennis players saying come on? Of course Maria Sharapova could have been talking about herself. :lol:

Did you read the whole quote? She wasn't complaining about come ons, she was talking about players fight their way back into a match.

Jacey
May 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Here's the rest of what Maria said.....if your going to quote someone at least quote what the whole answer was ;)

Deep down inside I know they're not really great fighters, and I know that mentally I'm much stronger than them. That's just something you feel when you're out there. The fight is not so much about, you know, just the winning a point and just the celebration. It's the whole process of working up to that match, working up to a tournament, of mentally being strong and having a really good attitude.
You know, I've had matches where I've fought really hard. But if I look back, you know, maybe my attitude wasn't quite where it should have been, or maybe I was a little bit negative instead of me when I should have been a little bit more positive.
It's more of a personal thing. But I do love the fight of it, and if I knew that every if we all knew that every single day we were going to wake up and the fighter's going to win the tennis match, we wouldn't really have tennis.
That's why you go on the court, and that's why you play matches and that's why we all compete. Some days some players have better days than others. You know, if the No. 1 seed went on every day, you know, we wouldn't even have to play matches, because they're the favorites.
That's why we go out and play. It's a new day and new opponent and a new challenge.

And by the way...here's what she said about Venus outfit ;)

Q. It was new. Are you and Venus in a clothing war?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. Goodness, no. (laughter.) No, not at all.

Q. What do you think of her outfit?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's great. I think she's certainly pushed the buttons, and I think it's so fun that in tennis we can really express our own personalities and we can do some different things, especially if we're able to be involved in working on our own designs. I think it's fun out there.

saska77
May 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Here's the rest of what Maria said.....if your going to quote someone at least quote what the whole answer was ;)

Deep down inside I know they're not really great fighters, and I know that mentally I'm much stronger than them. That's just something you feel when you're out there. The fight is not so much about, you know, just the winning a point and just the celebration. It's the whole process of working up to that match, working up to a tournament, of mentally being strong and having a really good attitude.
You know, I've had matches where I've fought really hard. But if I look back, you know, maybe my attitude wasn't quite where it should have been, or maybe I was a little bit negative instead of me when I should have been a little bit more positive.
It's more of a personal thing. But I do love the fight of it, and if I knew that every if we all knew that every single day we were going to wake up and the fighter's going to win the tennis match, we wouldn't really have tennis.
That's why you go on the court, and that's why you play matches and that's why we all compete. Some days some players have better days than others. You know, if the No. 1 seed went on every day, you know, we wouldn't even have to play matches, because they're the favorites.
That's why we go out and play. It's a new day and new opponent and a new challenge.

And by the way...here's what she said about Venus outfit ;)

Q. It was new. Are you and Venus in a clothing war?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No. Goodness, no. (laughter.) No, not at all.

Q. What do you think of her outfit?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think it's great. I think she's certainly pushed the buttons, and I think it's so fun that in tennis we can really express our own personalities and we can do some different things, especially if we're able to be involved in working on our own designs. I think it's fun out there.

:worship:

the cat
May 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Did you read the whole quote? She wasn't complaining about come ons, she was talking about players fight their way back into a match.It seems Maria was saying that she's stronger than other's mentally and in fighting spirit according to her quote. I guess she can hear her opponents come one's and feel stronger herself. I think that's what Maria was saying.

hablo
May 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM

What other controversial comments have been made? :p

davidmario
May 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
mentally sharapova is a beast. i so enjoy watching her play when she's in her killer zone like she was against justine in that second set today.