PDA

View Full Version : RG R3: Wozniacki def. Dulgheru 6-3 6-4

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Pity for Alex, she was the aggressor and it worked for a while, and had points for *4-1 in the first and for 5-2* in the second but she just got pushed to death. :tears:

Wozniacki just did what she normally does.

kman
May 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
:cool:

Russianboy
May 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
ewww.

poulao
May 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
:bounce: :lol: ;)

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
29-31
15-21

Singleniacki
It was an amazing match, too bad Alex couldn't win those key points :hug:

Libertango
Congrats Caro ---> Alex suuuure had her chances though. She'll probably want to play this match all over again.

I actually quite enjoyed it overall.

BuTtErFrEnA
:cheer:

oleada
Insult to tennis, really.
Dulgheru was the aggressor in this match, and lost. She looked very aggressive compared to Caroline, which takes amazing effort, so kudos to Pushniacki :help:

Jienus
Are her fans still going to pretend she's 'injured' now? :lol:

Chorophyll
:rolleyes: Alexandra falling apart in both sets. What a missed chance.

Wozniacki is so just absolutely... there are no words.

Fantasy Hero
i like both but to be honest Alex deserved more to win this :sobbing:

AnywhereButHome
Pusher :ras::ras:

Kworb
May 28th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ultimate pusher.

VIKA?
Fuck yeah Caroline:inlove::sobbing: what a fighter :worship:, definitely she didn't play a good match but was always fighting and that's what made her win this :D

keep it up:yeah:

Alex:hug:

CloudAtlas
Woop! First 4R appearance at Roland Garros :yeah: And she didn't lose to an inconsistent Romanian two years in a row.

Dulgheru played well but she was nowhere near fit enough to keep up with Caroline at the end. She was panting and puffing all over the place.

Bronx19
Fancy not winning 1 more game from 4-1 up.

This Wozniacki girl is the worst. Just get it back in middle court all day..

Temperenka
YAYYY Caroline! :D

Keep it up, Sunshine! :banana:

goldenlox
She was down 1-3 in both sets, now into the round of 16

Iceland
Pushing queen! Too bad Abba isn't Danish. :o

NyCPsU
May 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
It was a good, fun match.

Alex was the aggressor unsurprisingly (she is not the pusher people on here make her out to be).

Too bad she couldnt take her chances she was up a break in both sets. :sad: Its all a learning curve and she will just continue to get better.

That jump BH :inlove:

Meteor Shower
Disgusting result :lol:
Dulgheru deserve it for the poor plays on important points :p

A-Bond
Boah they were really pushing each other to their limits... Wozniacki really played some agressive tennis from time to time... But in the end she showed Dulgheru who's the real SEWTA #1 Pusher.

She has a good shot for the semis. She pwns Pennetta and she should be able to beat Selfdestructnetsova and UE Queen Li if she plays like she did today.

Blu€
Caro :yeah::yeah: tough match, well done to take it in 2 sets!
Dulgheru played pretty well :clap2:

kman
Are her fans still going to pretend she's 'injured' now? :lol:

Why would we? She's moving fine on court.

She obviously was injured when she was forced to retire in Charleston and Warsaw and couldn't move properly in Stuttgart. You're the one who's pretending otherwise.

Dodoboy.
Fantastic match to follow, both gave away so little! Some great rallies, really thought Alex had that in BOTH sets, but CARO somehow pulled through. Such a great competitor, still some improvements to be made. Would have loved to see her at the net as much as in her last match. Pennetta will be tough, but glad she seems fit and healthy.

Beaten one of the most inform players going into this tournament, big well done!

Noctis
Alex was injured and tired .
Whatever Flavia your not tired right. Take her out it's just ridiculous shes in R16.

Ferg
It was a good, fun match.

Alex was the agressor unsurprisingly (she is not the pusher people on here make her out to be).

Too bad she couldnt take her chances she was up a break in both sets. :sad: Its all a learning curve and she will just continue to get better.

That jump BH :inlove:

She had so many combos with her forehand ::drool:

LeonHart
Amazing rallies but Alex was too tired at the end. UP a break in both sets and managed to lose :help:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 28th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Caro :worship: Alex :shrug:

Pasta-Na
see u in 2011 warsaw, alex. :hug:

Monderoy
Jesus Christ woman. How many unforced errors can you have in a game? Every big point and Dulgheru keeps missing an open court or hits into the net.

And for the love of God! LET THE DAMN BALL BOUNCE!!

Break on at *4-5 and she hits a drive volley wide.

about 90% of Dulgheru's drive volleys went wide when all she had to do was let the ball bounce and THEN pick your spot. Geez, how hard can that be?!

No love for Wozi today because she didn't do anything to win this match other than keep the ball in play and let Dulgheru make the mistake....and boy did she make alot of them.

Threw away this match. She was the better player.

Jienus
May 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Why would we? She's moving fine on court

That's never stopped you before. :wavey:

A-Bond
Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm really happy that this stupid brainless Dulgheru will win RG or reach SF finally comes to an end. Oh and watch out, she will now do nothing till next year clay season. Byebye Alex :wavey:

CloudAtlas
This is a good win. Let the haters hate :cool:

kman
May 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
That's never stopped you before. :wavey:

Read the rest of my post biatch.

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Boah they were really pushing each other to their limits... Wozniacki really played some agressive tennis from time to time... But in the end she showed Dulgheru who's the real SEWTA #1 Pusher.

She has a good shot for the semis. She pwns Pennetta and she should be able to beat Selfdestructnetsova and UE Queen Li if she plays like she did today.

:lol:

The most aggressive thing Caro did all match was scream at the end. Dulgerhu is no pusher, she played up lines all match.

madmax
May 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Pushfest galore...Now Sunshine has an open road to the semis to get blasted off the court by Venus or Rezai:yawn:

Break My Rapture
Nice brainfarting, Alex. :yeah:

Jienus
Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm really happy that this stupid brainless Dulgheru will win RG or reach SF finally comes to an end. Oh and watch out, she will now do nothing till next year clay season. Byebye Alex :wavey:

Calling someone brainless when you have Alona Bondarenko in your avatar is kinda like Rosie O'donnel calling someone obese.

Chorophyll
ITF needs to do something about Wozniacki. This is beyond ridiculous.

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Pushfest galore...Now Sunshine has an open road to the semis to get blasted off the court by Venus or Rezai:yawn:

Did you watch the match?

poulao
A win is a win ;)

kman
Dulgheru make the mistake....and boy did she make alot of them.

She was the better player.

makes sense :lol:

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
:worship: Caro ... Down 3-1 in 1st - took the next 5 games! Down 4-1 in 2nd - took the next 5 games ... :worship:

Hi kman, just for your info, there was a thread requesting OP's to keep thread headlines adult and not use words like 'Flower, Golden, GOAT' (clay, queen) ...

I thought Dulgharo played well, but she had to play out of her skin to keep up with Caro. In the end, Dulgharo just ran out of steam.

poulao
ITF needs to do something about Wozniacki. This is beyond ridiculous.

Enlighten us pleace oh you grate one :lol:

slnbb
Alex....should have won the match! really enjoyed your performance today.
Wozniaki......no comment

i just love how the crowd react to Alex even she lost the match
and Alex took it like the winner ...!! funny!!

delicatecutter
May 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
When Alex was aggressive she won most of the points. She should know better than to try to get into long rallies with Caro. Caro makes little to zero effort to finish points and would be content rallying forever. :sobbing:

The pressure is now on Flavia to save the Tour. :hysteric:

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
NID, sadly.

Aren't you Wozniacki fans now glad she didn't decide to come to the net today? :lol:

kman
May 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
NID, sadly.

Aren't you Wozniacki fans now glad she didn't decide to come to the net today? :lol:

I remember Wozzy coming to the net and making a perfect net corder that literally rolled down the side of the net on Dulghero's half :lol:

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
:worship: Caro ... Down 3-1 in 1st - took the next 5 games! Down 4-1 in 2nd - took the next 5 games ... :worship:

Hi kman, just for your info, there was a thread requesting OP's to keep thread headlines adult and not use words like 'Flower, Golden, GOAT' (clay, queen) ...

I thought Dulgharo played well, but she had to play out of her skin to keep up with Caro. In the end, Dulgharo just ran out of steam.

She never had to keep up with Caro... she was the one making strides forward only to get repetitively worn down. :shrug:

Dorien.
May 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Nice match from both but Alex :hug: was hoping she could do it

Monderoy
makes sense :lol:

Dulgheru had a lot more winners than Wozi did. Didn't you see the match?

She was up 3-1 in the 1st and then the errors came in and lost the set.
She was up 4-1 in the 2nd and the same again with the errors.

Dulgheru threw this away.

Bronx19
I liked Caro's moon balling, it really broke up the monotony of hitting flat down center court.

WhoAmI?
Great win for Wozniacki, she was hardly noticeable in the match but won.

Alex, what a waste like this:(

Burisleif
May 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
She never had to keep up with Caro... she was the one making strides forward only to get repetitively worn down. :shrug:

Try SpecSavers, they have a special this week.

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Im sorry, I didnt realise Caro was the one creating big leads only to get pushed down.

Burisleif
AD played with great Heart, I look forward to seeing her again. Overall a really entertaining game.

GL Woz in the Last 16.

kman
Dulgheru had a lot more winners than Wozi did. Didn't you see the match?

She was up 3-1 in the 1st and then the errors came in and lost the set.
She was up 4-1 in the 2nd and the same again with the errors.

Dulgheru threw this away.

Wozniacki didn't become no. 3 by making more winners than her opponents. She became no. 3 by making fewer errors and winning her matches.

Caro threw away games at the beginning of both sets but then raised her level and put more pressure on Dulghero who broke as a result.

This is Caro's worst surface and easily Dulghero's best. I can only imagine the result had it been on hard court. 6-0 6-0 sounds about right.

Bronx19

He is correct, you misread the match.

Dulgheru was hitting up lines all match, Caro just got it back.

Stats tell it all.

Monderoy
May 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
This game just highlighted a part of women's tennis that I just can't understand.
When the ball is lobbed and coming straight down why can't they just let it bounce and THEN hit it?

That's what cost Dugheru the match today because if that drive volley had gone in, in the 1st set, she would have won the set and the match would have been different.

Why can't they just let it bounce?

AnnaK_4ever
May 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Wozniacki in two uneventful sets in just under 2 hours.

Called it.

Wozniacki with her netcord winner© and Dulgheru with her imitation of an all-court player©.
The better player and opportunist won.

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Very enjoyable match. Virtually every point was hard fought and gritty. Both girls gave it everything they had point after point. Lots of respect to both girls and credit particularly to Wozniacki for an excellent win.

I was very pleased with how Alex played too and she really did take the match to Caroline. It was Alex who was the aggressor in roughly 75% of the rallies. But Caroline was very very solid and gave nothing away. In the end Alex lost too many points by going for just a little too much on the put away shot but that is what Caroline does to opponents.

Personally I'm disappointed to see Alex go out but she went out aggressively going for her shots and fighting to the end. I do think the large amount of tennis Alex has played this year on clay did take a toll on her but that was in large part down to Caroline who ensured that Alex would have to work extremely hard for every point she won. So while I'm disappointed by the result I am not dispointed by Alex.

Well done once again to Caroline who earned my respect in this match and well done to Alex for playing some magnificent tennis and showing a lot of heart. I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex continue her progress on the WTA tour.

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wozniacki didn't become no. 3 by making more winners than her opponents. She became no. 3 by making fewer errors and winning her matches.

Caro threw away games at the beginning of both sets but then raised her level and put more pressure on Dulghero who broke as a result.

Caro wont be top five for very long with her game.

She got away with it through Dulg missing an easy smash and dishing up bad drops.

Ferg
May 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM

This is Caro's worst surface and easily Dulghero's best. I can only imagine the result had it been on hard court. 6-0 6-0 sounds about right.

Caro putting pressure on somebody would be like a kitten putting pressure on a sumo wrestler.

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Im sorry, I didnt realise Caro was the one creating big leads only to get pushed down.

But that is exactly the point .. Dulgheru had to play her A game 100% of the time to build up those 3-1 and 4-1 leads. Usually a player cannot sustain such performance and cracks. Not to mention, it is draining both physically and mentally. Exactly what happend. At the end, Dulgeru was so tired that had it gone to a 3rd set, I feel Caro would have won easily.

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
This game just highlighted a part of women's tennis that I just can't understand.
When the ball is lobbed and coming straight down why can't they just let it bounce and THEN hit it?

That's what cost Dugheru the match today because if that drive volley had gone in, in the 1st set, she would have won the set and the match would have been different.

I completely agree. I agree to the point where I'm screaming at the TV.

How many times do women have to screw it up, before they realise they can simply let it bounce and kill it.

To be frank, women just dont have the same telant as the men in those situations.

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Very enjoyable match. Virtually every point was hard fought and gritty. Both girls gave it everything they had point after point. Lots of respect to both girls and credit particularly to Wozniacki for an excellent win.

I was very pleased with how Alex played too and she really did take the match to Caroline. It was Alex who was the aggressor in roughly 75% of the rallies. But Caroline was very very solid and gave nothing away. In the end Alex lost too many points by going for just a little too much on the put away shot but that is what Caroline does to opponents.

Personally I'm disappointed to see Alex go out but she went out aggressively going for her shots and fighting to the end. I do think the large amount of tennis Alex has played this year on clay did take a toll on her but that was in large part down to Caroline who ensured that Alex would have to work extremely hard for every point she won. So while I'm disappointed by the result I am not dispointed by Alex.

Well done once again to Caroline who earned by respect in this match and well done to Alex for playing some magnificent tennis and showing a lot of heart. I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex continue her progress on the WTA tour.

Excellent post! .. So nice to see we are still a few adults left on TF ...

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Really nice of Dulgheru to applaud the crowd at the end of the match :)

It'll be interesting to see if she can actually build on her Warsaw win this time. She's basically got a whole 12 months to try again now.

kman
May 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Caro wont be top five for very long with her game.

She got away with it through Dulg missing an easy smash and dishing up bad drops.

Caro missed a terrible smash too after which she pounded the net and the crowd booed. Then she lost the game.

But yea, Dulghero's dropshots sucked.

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Really nice of Dulgheru to applaud the crowd at the end of the match :)

It'll be interesting to see if she can actually build on her Warsaw win this time. She's basically got a whole 12 months to try again now.

Alex is already on the edge of the top 30 so I would say she has already built on last years Warsaw win and futhermore backed it up. I have no doubt she will continue to progress and get better.

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Caro missed a terrible smash too after which she pounded the net and the crowd booed. Then she lost the game.

That was good compared to her usual smashes. :happy:

C. W. Fields
May 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm very relieved :) Before the tournament I thought this would be the end station for Caro, but she surpassed my expectations. At the beginning of both sets Caro's FH was off. She got too passive and let AD dictate play too much and hitting some very nice winners. But when Caro got the proper length on her shots and moved AD around the right way she won the majority of points. And she hit some good serves on important points which is what the best players are able to do. Fastest serve: 190 kmh! Looks like Caro's ankle is ok even in fairly long matches as long as she doesn't suffer a new twist.
Congrats, Caro, for making it to RG 4R for the first time! :D
Alex, you have a great BH and think creatively on court, but you need to cut down on your FH UEs and improve your physique, then you can go a long way.

kman
May 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I completely agree. I agree to the point where I'm screaming at the TV.

I love it.

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM

It wasn't Alex's best day for dropshots, that is true. Usually they are a strong part of her game but dropshots are funny things, somedays they work and some they don't and today they didn't. :shrug:

Slutiana
May 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I remember Wozzy coming to the net and making a perfect net corder that literally rolled down the side of the net on Dulghero's half :lol:
Well somebody needs to make some GIFs of the smashes she missed. Particularly the one in the first game where she was 2 ft from the net and still managed to make it bounce before it hit the net. What a talent. :rocker2:

Jienus
May 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Alex is already on the edge of the top 30 so I would say she has already built on last years Warsaw win and futhermore backed it up. I have no doubt she will continue to progress and get better.

She needs to get better on surfaces other than clay if she wants to stay anywhere near the top 30.

She doesn't have a lot of points to defend for the rest of they year though so in theory things can only go up from here.

I like her game though so I will be rooting for her.

Ferg

Pretty much. I mean, she has like what, 400 points to defend till next October? Plus, this time she isnt suddenl thrown into WTA level tournaments, shes played them for a full year, and he fantastic clay season should only give her more confidence too.

madmax
Well somebody needs to make some GIFs of the smashes she missed. Particularly the one in the first game where she was 2 ft from the net and still managed to make it bounce before it hit the net. What a talent. :rocker2:

:devil:

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
She needs to get better on surfaces other than clay if she wants to stay anywhere near the top 30.

She doesn't have a lot of points to defend for the rest of they year though so in theory things can only go up from here.

I like her game though so I will be rooting for her.

For sure she needs to get better on surfaces other than clay. Heck, she can even improve on clay too. But regarding other surfaces the improvement has already begun and I have no doubt it will continue. :)

poulao
May 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Well done once again to Caroline who earned my respect in this match and well done to Alex for playing some magnificent tennis and showing a lot of heart. I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex continue her progress on the WTA tour.

Yes, it was a bit of a nail biter :lol: Alex was better than expected, and who knows maybe nerves on Caro's side.

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I love it.

You enjoy women stuffing put aways?

goldenlox
Getting into the top 20 isn't that easy. Its been a struggle for Nastia_Pav and AKleybanova too. But Alex is good enough to get there

C. W. Fields

Actually Caro's miss there was after running down a drop shot. She just missed her put away and got mad.

kman
May 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/gingerpuss/hater2.jpg

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Lets hope Caro meets the same fait as in her past five losses.

A good flogging by a tennis player.

Jienus
May 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Unfortunately she's playing Flavia Pennetta so that's out of the question.

C. W. Fields
According to the match stats Alex won 14 of 18 net approaches. That doesn't quite mesh with the people here seeing her miss all these easy winners at the net!? :confused:

kman

is fait ghetto slang for fate?

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Bronx19,

apart from juvenile insults, I don't see you bringing much to the party. :wavey:

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
According to the match stats Alex won 14 of 18 net approaches. That doesn't quite mesh with the people here seeing her miss all these easy winners at the net!? :confused:

People see what they want to see. Simple as.

Shvedbarilescu
May 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
People see what they want to see. Simple as.

Bulls eye. :yeah:

PLP
May 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Insult to tennis, really.
Dulgheru was the aggressor in this match, and lost. She looked very aggressive compared to Caroline, which takes amazing effort, so kudos to Pushniacki :help:

:lol:
Comments like this just make me laugh.

Awesome win for Caroline, Alex has been playing top 10 level this clay court season.
GL against Flavia, looking forward to that match.
:bounce:

Dexter
May 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well somebody needs to make some GIFs of the smashes she missed. Particularly the one in the first game where she was 2 ft from the net and still managed to make it bounce before it hit the net. What a talent. :rocker2:That was really something. :lol:

Gdsimmons
May 28th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Wow

Sander.
May 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Really nice win Caro! :kiss:

LefandePatty
May 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Well done Caro! :yeah:
hopefully she wins her first GS here :D

Alex. :hug:

Dodoboy.
May 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/gingerpuss/hater2.jpg

wtf?? :haha:!!!!

Rafito.
May 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Yes! Yes! Caro :inlove:

klever58
May 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Caro :angel:

Aaric
May 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Alexandra dark horse, suuuuuure :rolleyes:
Caro :drool: Keep going

The Daviator
May 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I love it when Caro crushes people's hopes, especially in routine fashion :drool:

Onwards to the SFs :)

C. W. Fields
May 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Piotr criticizes Caro for switching to a racqet with harder stringing between sets. It gave her better control but also made her hit shorter shots. At 1-4 she fortunately switched back to her first racqet again. He gives her A+ for fighting, though, but says she needs to control her nerves better in the matches to come.

Derek.
May 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Caroline. :worship:

AnDrEi.b
May 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Oh Alex ... :(

angliru
May 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
No love for Wozi today because she didn't do anything to win this match other than keep the ball in play and let Dulgheru make the mistake....and boy did she make alot of them.

I have a few comments to make regarding this.

It's true that Caro doesn't hit as may winners as most other girls in top 20, but this doesn't mean that she doesn't try to win the points. A case in point may be when Caro was serving for the first set at 5-3. Dulgheru had a break point, but Caro rushed to the net and hit a hard forehand. It was not a winner, but Caro won the point, and the shot was in every way (in set up and execution) as agressive as a "real" winner.

In this particular match I actually think Caro tried to force her shots more than usual, which a closer look at the match statistics confirm:

Alex won 68 points: 29 winners, 21 unforced errors from Caro, and 3 DF's from Caro. That's only 53 points. The remaining 15 points must have been forced errors (ie. errors made by Caro forced by Dulgheru's good shots).

Dulgheru therefore won 44 points as a result of her own good shots (29 winners + 15 FE).

Now lets look at Caro's stats. She won 76 points. Just 14 winners, and 31 UE's from Alex, and 4 DF's. Now, that's just 49 points. How did she win the remaining 27 points? Forced effors!

This means that Caro won 41 points as a result of own good shots (14 winners + 27 FE), which is almost the same total as Dulgheru's stats.

I'm sure many still have the impression that Caro doesn't try anything and just waits for her opponents to make errors, but that's not what I saw today. But you probably see what you want to see as someone has said in the thread.

Another thing is that tennis isn't just about winners and hitting hard. Kuznetsova hit 59 winners vs. Caro in US Open 09, and played really well on the important points (Sveta had a 100 % break conversion - 7 of 7!). But Sveta still lost the match in 2!

Tennis is also about movements, speed, court coverage, tactics, mental strength, endurance, gameplan, precision in the shots, and so on. You won't win chess games by knocking your opponents pieces over, and you won't win tennis matches just by hitting winners.

Caro doesn't 'overforce' her shots and she doesn't play as risky as many other players. There is probably less angles on her shots, and they are perhaps not as hard as they could be. But she avoids making errors! She is the complete package. Not average but pretty darn good in most areas!

Beat
May 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Whatever Flavia your not tired right. Take her out it's just ridiculous shes in R16.

gosh, you are soooooo boring. :sobbing:

kman
May 28th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Piotr criticizes Caro for switching to a racqet with harder stringing between sets. It gave her better control but also made her hit shorter shots. At 1-4 she fortunately switched back to her first racqet again.

Ah yea, just saw that article. So Alex was essentially lucky Caro chose to play with the wrong strings for a while there. As soon as Caro switched back it was over.

rickxx
May 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Caro:hearts:Nice fightback in both sets!Was so afraid she would actually lose to the "clay court queen".Thank God she survived.Now two of my faves against each other.Either way I'll be happy.

danieln1
May 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
:lol: at people saying Caro would be trashed by Alex!!

Now the Pennetta match will be a whole diferent story...

LeonHart
May 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ah yea, just saw that article. So Alex was essentially lucky Caro chose to play with the wrong strings for a while there. As soon as Caro switched back it was over.

Erm no. Alex played better in the second set til the winded 41 shot rally

GreenGrass
May 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Caro :yeah:
Alex played so well :D :yeah:

gmak
May 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Caro :yeah: :D
have to play a lot better against Flavia tho :shrug:

Emina.
May 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
expected.

Monderoy
May 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I have a few comments to make regarding this.

It's true that Caro doesn't hit as may winners as most other girls in top 20, but this doesn't mean that she doesn't try to win the points. A case in point may be when Caro was serving for the first set at 5-3. Dulgheru had a break point, but Caro rushed to the net and hit a hard forehand. It was not a winner, but Caro won the point, and the shot was in every way (in set up and execution) as agressive as a "real" winner.

In this particular match I actually think Caro tried to force her shots more than usual, which a closer look at the match statistics confirm:

Alex won 68 points: 29 winners, 21 unforced errors from Caro, and 3 DF's from Caro. That's only 53 points. The remaining 15 points must have been forced errors (ie. errors made by Caro forced by Dulgheru's good shots).

Dulgheru therefore won 44 points as a result of her own good shots (29 winners + 15 FE).

Now lets look at Caro's stats. She won 76 points. Just 14 winners, and 31 UE's from Alex, and 4 DF's. Now, that's just 49 points. How did she win the remaining 27 points? Forced effors!

This means that Caro won 41 points as a result of own good shots (14 winners + 27 FE), which is almost the same total as Dulgheru's stats.

I'm sure many still have the impression that Caro doesn't try anything and just waits for her opponents to make errors, but that's not what I saw today. But you probably see what you want to see as someone has said in the thread.

Another thing is that tennis isn't just about winners and hitting hard. Kuznetsova hit 59 winners vs. Caro in US Open 09, and played really well on the important points (Sveta had a 100 % break conversion - 7 of 7!). But Sveta still lost the match in 2!

Tennis is also about movements, speed, court coverage, tactics, mental strength, endurance, gameplan, precision in the shots, and so on. You won't win chess games by knocking your opponents pieces over, and you won't win tennis matches just by hitting winners.

Caro doesn't 'overforce' her shots and she doesn't play as risky as many other players. There is probably less angles on her shots, and they are perhaps not as hard as they could be. But she avoids making errors! She is the complete package. Not average but pretty darn good in most areas!

Good post. If the match had gone to 3 sets then I'd be ok with the loss for Dulgheru but to lose in 2 after 3-1 (1st set) and 4-1 (2nd set) leads is really disappointing especially when the errors from Dulgheru came on crucial points. Wozi played the big points better than Dulgheru and I think that in the end was the difference.

hankqq
May 28th, 2010, 08:53 PM
gotta give Caroline a lot of respect for beating one of the most in-form clay court players of the season :yeah: :shrug: I thought Dulgheru had a great chance at the upset here, but Wozniacki won in comfortable fashion :D I'm hoping she can at least reach the QF, maybe SF.

cn ireland
May 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Good win Caro:yeah:

Kipling
May 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Well, I'm sorry to see Alex go out. No knock on Caro--I think she can go far here if healthy--but Dulgheru coming through would have been another great story. She'll get there someday--she's got talent!

Slutati
May 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
This is a good win for Caro. :yeah: Glad that she's healthy too.

homogenius
May 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Good to hear she's not "injured" anymore.

TennisFan66
May 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Good to hear you are ''not'' bitter, moaning and whiney anymore :wavey:

poulao
May 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Good post. If the match had gone to 3 sets then I'd be ok with the loss for Dulgheru but to lose in 2 after 3-1 (1st set) and 4-1 (2nd set) leads is really disappointing especially when the errors from Dulgheru came on crucial points. Wozi played the big points better than Dulgheru and I think that in the end was the difference.

I totally agree. However, Caro was nervous and made some bad choices fx. the change of racket etc. So yes she showed some coolness at the right moments, but she was not 'in the groove' so to speak from start to finish. So her father was not impressed, but so what....

homogenius
May 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Good to hear you are ''not'' bitter, moaning and whiney anymore :wavey:

get a life

Njay16
May 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Nice win against a tricky opponent Caro, keep it up. :)

stangtennis
May 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sveta didn't loose the 2009 US Open match to Caro in 2, she lost the match in 3 [2-6 7-6(5) 7-6(3)]:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/headtohead/caroline-wozniacki_2255881_12631/0,,12781~12631~4467,00.html

Corswandt
May 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
NID.

The final game was pure hilarity. Sunshine not doing a thing to win the points, just waiting for the proud owner of one of the best BHs in the world to make the error, and "Alex" duly obliging.

I was just checking some previous posts on this thread, and it seems Sunshine was outwinnered by "Alex" by more than 2 to 1? How do you even do that?

stangtennis
May 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
http://sporten.tv2.dk/tennis/article.php/id-30846240.html
"I could feel today, that she still has problems with her ankle. She doesn't run 100% after every ball, and this can be crucial against the stars. But if her ankle is well, she can challenge everyone", says Dulghero.

Pops Maellard
May 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Oh great, kman (Piotr)'s back. :rolleyes:

FFS Alex if you can't beat Wozniacki at the French Open which is your favourite surface, then you're not that good are you? :lol:

Huntress55
May 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Well done Caro :D!

claypova
May 29th, 2010, 02:37 AM
alex :smash:

should have won the 2nd set :sobbing:

Roookie
May 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM
:lol:...this was never in doubt.

poulao
May 29th, 2010, 03:21 AM
NID.

The final game was pure hilarity. Sunshine not doing a thing to win the points, just waiting for the proud owner of one of the best BHs in the world to make the error, and "Alex" duly obliging.

I was just checking some previous posts on this thread, and it seems Sunshine was outwinnered by "Alex" by more than 2 to 1? How do you even do that?

I mean, we'll have to get over it and call it as is, a win is a win. Caro probably has some issues linked to 'being injured' for some time and haven't won back to back matches since Charleston and so her preparation, being somewhat derailed etc. IMO she was 'over fired up to perform' and so could not. I'm sure, that if Alex had stayed with the short point strategy, she would probably have won the match. But she went into thouse 30-40 stroke points and Caro got to blow of some steam and get rid of the nerves and loosen up.

Patrick345
May 29th, 2010, 03:26 AM

I have been asking that same question for three years now. How many men play that low-percentage shot? :lol:

Bronx19
May 29th, 2010, 03:32 AM
What is the point of Caro progressing through? Her passive game simply wont cut it against an attacking player on their game, which is exactly what she will face shortly.

At least Dulgheru would have fought fire with fire.

angliru
May 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Sveta didn't loose the 2009 US Open match to Caro in 2, she lost the match in 3 [2-6 7-6(5) 7-6(3)]:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/headtohead/caroline-wozniacki_2255881_12631/0,,12781~12631~4467,00.html
Yes, of course. I was even looking at the match results when I was typing the part about Sveta's winners. Thanks! :yeah:

C. W. Fields
May 29th, 2010, 05:10 AM
http://sporten.tv2.dk/tennis/article.php/id-30846240.html

"I could feel today, that she still has problems with her ankle. She doesn't run 100% after every ball, and this can be crucial against the stars. But if her ankle is well, she can challenge everyone", says Dulgheru.

An opponent is a pretty reliable source (those who only recognise an injury when Caro is missing a leg will continue to believe it's all fakery, of course, but they've made up their minds before it even happened anyway).
I think Caro is at the stage of recovery where dealing with the injury is as much mental as physical. I myself have had injuries where towards the end you still feel them but it's not really a debilitating pain. It's more a question of forcing your mind to make yourself go 100% even though that part of your body still doesn't feel quite like it used to. And maybe you also have to overcome some fears about re-opening the injury.
But the way her draw is forming up even Caro at 95% has a good chance of reaching SF.

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 07:19 AM
What is the point of Caro progressing through? Her passive game simply wont cut it against an attacking player on their game, which is exactly what she will face shortly.

That's kinda the story of her career....

Bonfire
May 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
That's kinda the story of her career....

You just wait..Caro will push her way through even the most aggressive attacker and take this title!! :p

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM
You just wait..Caro will push her way through even the most aggressive attacker and take this title!! :p

I don't doubt that she can win against a good aggressive player, she has already proven herself on many occasions. All she needs is for her opponent to not be on their game.

Nobody takes advantages of opportunities as well as Wozniacki and I don't doubt that she will win a slam in her career. But I don't like her, and I don't respect her :shrug:

Bonfire
May 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I don't doubt that she can win against a good aggressive player, she has already proven herself on many occasions. All she needs is for her opponent to not be on their game.

Nobody takes advantages of opportunities as well as Wozniacki and I don't doubt that she will win a slam in her career. But I don't like her, and I don't respect her :shrug:

well...fair enough :) I hear ya...there are some players that have won multiple slams that I don't really respect or like (cough..henin...cough) but I like Wozzi...and I think her game can get more aggressive in the future

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM
well...fair enough :) I hear ya...there are some players that have won multiple slams that I don't really respect or like (cough..henin...cough) but I like Wozzi...and I think her game can get more aggressive in the future

I would be happy if she could just learn to construct a point.

Bonfire
May 29th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Oh come on...anyone who is #3 in the world knows how to construct a point!

TennisFan66
May 29th, 2010, 08:19 AM

:rolleyes: Worlds best female teenager tennis player; world ranked #3 and she doesn't know how to 'just' construct a point ...

How do you expect anyone (Wolfy and the gang members aside) to take you serious with comments like that?

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
:rolleyes: Worlds best female teenager tennis player; world ranked #3 and she doesn't know how to 'just' construct a point ...

How do you expect anyone (Wolfy and the gang members aside) to take you serious with comments like that?

I don't expect you to take anyone seriously. If Wozniacki broke wind you'd defend her.

TennisFan66
May 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I don't expect you to take anyone seriously. If Wozniacki broke wind you'd defend her.

:rolleyes: Whatever dude, you've showed your colour .. Now go play with Wolfy, Bronx, Slutiana and the other gang members.

Jienus
May 29th, 2010, 08:50 AM
:rolleyes: Whatever dude, you've showed your colour .. Now go play with Wolfy, Bronx, Slutiana and the other gang members.

You should be careful with that line. It's an antique.

rucolo
May 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Congrats, Caroline!:D

Alexandra :hug:

Many great points, it was a fantastic match.:bowdown:

Both Caro and Alex have an excellent attitude and are big fighters.:yeah:

The match was a lot closer than the scoreline suggests.

At 3-6 4-2 for Dulgheru there was an amazing rally: 41 shots!:hearts::worship:

Reach the SF, Caro!

FormerlyKnownAs
May 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
One of the reasons Dulgheru lost. No fitness she dragged the time out between every point because she was out of breath.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2lbhlhl.jpg

Dulgheru after winning a 41 shot rally point at 2-4 against Woz the Wall yesterday.

Need of fitness training or astma??, maybe she should keep a oxygen tank in her bag.

Hian
May 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Alexandra :(
You could defeate Shitniacki :(

tennisforadults
May 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Ridiculous. Not a Wozzy fan but your words may carry more weight if you're a tennis coach or pro player. Otherwise you're just a spectator typing bullshit in front of your computer.

delicatecutter
May 29th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I was surprised to not see Caro at the net more as I hear that is one of her new strategies. Maybe she will try it against Flavia.

LeonHart
May 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
One of the reasons Dulgheru lost. No fitness she dragged the time out between every point because she was out of breath.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2lbhlhl.jpg

Dulgheru after winning a 41 shot rally point at 2-4 against Woz the Wall yesterday.

Need of fitness training or astma??, maybe she should keep a oxygen tank in her bag.

No fitness? Does she look like she has even an ounce of fat on her body?

thadeuss
May 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Dulgheru has a nasal septum deviation. So she can't brathe very well, gets tired very fast and sweats a lot. Probably at the end of the season she will fix it (needs surgery).

This is a medical condition not lack of fitness.

FormerlyKnownAs
May 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Dulgheru has a nasal septum deviation. So she can't brathe very well, gets tired very fast and sweats a lot. Probably at the end of the season she will fix it (needs surgery).

Thanks for the info, after looking it up it sounds a bummer, it mustafect her training too.

After watching her play for the first time yesterday, I would say she needs to get it fixed ASAP, THEN Caroline better look out!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

miffedmax
May 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Having a deviated septum sucks. I wish I'd had mine fixed when I was young enough it would have made a difference for my soccer and tennis!

Corswandt
May 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
One last bump as I was doing some thinking about the matchup between "Big Push" Caro and the Lesser Pushers.

I only watched a few games of both this and the legendary Sunshine vs Radwanska match at IW, and I only have (unreliable) fanboy/fangirl of h8t0r reports on them, but it seems that for some reason both Radwanska and Dulgheru chose to be the aggressors and to try to hit through (or perhaps more accurately to force errors out of her, since both wholly lack the firepower needed to do so) Sunshine.

Sunshine has got nothing to hurt them with, so this makes absolutely no sense. Particularly as, being passive by default, the Lesser Pushers such as Radwanska or Dulgheru will find dictating the big majority of the points extremely taxing from a mental POV, as they're not used to being the ones taking the initiative, making choices and taking options on the court - usually, it's their opponents who do something (often everything), and they react to it.

So my take it's that they do it unintentionally - that Sunshine's zen like passivity is such that it's a logical impossibility to do less to win the points than she does, so even her underpowered opponents unwittingly begin to try to play aggressively (and typically fail miserably at it).

Still, it's as wrong as a tactical option can be, and it shows just that most pushers, so often praised for their fighting spirit and mental fortitude, really are a bunch of wimps who panic as soon as they realize that their opponent will contest every rally to the bitter end and won't just giftwrap them the errors they need to prevail (as they are unable to hit the winners required to do so).

Patrick345
May 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM
One last bump as I was doing some thinking about the matchup between "Big Push" Caro and the Lesser Pushers.

I only watched a few games of both this and the legendary Sunshine vs Radwanska match at IW, and I only have (unreliable) fanboy/fangirl of h8t0r reports on them, but it seems that for some reason both Radwanska and Dulgheru chose to be the aggressors and to try to hit through (or perhaps more accurately to force errors out of her, since both wholly lack the firepower needed to do so) Sunshine.

Sunshine has got nothing to hurt them with, so this makes absolutely no sense. Particularly as, being passive by default, the Lesser Pushers such as Radwanska or Dulgheru will find dictating the big majority of the points extremely taxing from a mental POV, as they're not used to being the ones taking the initiative, making choices and taking options on the court - usually, it's their opponents who do something (often everything), and they react to it.

So my take it's that they do it unintentionally - that Sunshine's zen like passivity is such that it's a logical impossibility to do less to win the points than she does, so even her underpowered opponents unwittingly begin to try to play aggressively (and typically fail miserably at it).

Still, it's as wrong as a tactical option can be, and it shows just that most pushers, so often praised for their fighting spirit and mental fortitude, really are a bunch of wimps who panic as soon as they realize that their opponent will contest every rally to the bitter end and won't just giftwrap them the errors they need to prevail (as they are unable to hit the winners required to do so).

I don´t understand it either. All they need to do is watch Jankovic and how she methodically breaks down Wozniacki by giving her nothing. Although Dulgheru was a weird case. She had success using controlled aggression. It seemed that she got cocky, when she was ahead, especially in the 2nd set. Unmotivated dropshot attempts and lack of focus on one overhead smash really cost her.