PDA

View Full Version : Why are umpires so against dishing out time warnings?

Langers
May 28th, 2010, 06:56 AM
This is not a Jankovic bagging thread.

However during her match yesterday, I noticed she took an eternity, so I rewound it and got the stopwatch on my phone out and it took her 35 seconds from the end of the previous point to the start of the next. 35!!

It's not just Jankovic, it's other plays too, and it's happening more often. How many truly quick players are there out there? For the men Federer is quick (about the only thing I like about him), ditto Soderling, Blake. Credit to the women, most are very, very speedy, but Jankovic taking 35 seconds is flat out ridiculous.

The limit is meant to be 25 seconds, why then do players consistently go over 30 seconds and nothing seems to ever be done?

Caralenko
May 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM
They had an on-screen timer at the AO this year that showed Nadal going up to 45 seconds between each point :lol: Jelena seems relatively tame compared to Baltacha or even Sharapova as well.

young_gunner913
May 28th, 2010, 07:10 AM
The ESPN commentators jump on JJ all the time for this. :lol:

Langers
May 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
The ESPN commentators jump on JJ all the time for this. :lol:
It just annoys me because it's supposed to be a rule, 25 seconds and that's it, any more you get a warning, do it again and a point penalty.

However umpires never enforce it, so why bother even having it? Might as well take a minute.

edificio
May 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
This is funny considering that Jelena's old coach kept trying to get Venus a time violation in a match last fall. Hypocrite! :) Venus takes a considerable amount of time to serve, truly.

Jajaloo
May 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
This is funny considering that Jelena's old coach kept trying to get Venus a time violation in a match last fall. Hypocrite!

You said it yourself. Her OLD coach. Not Jelena. How is she a hipocrite. She didn't have the stopwatch out.

But yes, JJ takes forever between points. Umpires don't give her warnings, because she's an empress Behind Justine, she's the HBIC of Roland Garros.

Midnight_Robber
May 28th, 2010, 08:12 AM
You said it yourself. Her OLD coach. Not Jelena. How is she a hipocrite. She didn't have the stopwatch out.

But yes, JJ takes forever between points. Umpires don't give her warnings, because she's an empress Behind Justine, she's the HBIC of Roland Garros.

Sure, Venus could be quicker.

...But didn't JJ also approach the umpire and start complaining about the time Venus was taking on serve? In which case - hypocrite. She definitely complained to the umpire in Doha, but that time Venus stood her ground and told the umpire outright that she didn't think she was taking any longer on serve than Jelena was (she was right) and that if she was going to issue warnings then she'd have to issue them to both of them, if she was going to be fair. Of course, the amount of time Jelena takes to complain about something is often time-wasting, but of course, Jelena doesn't see *that* as problematic.

All of the dramatic recovery time after her splits (slumped to the floor etc. unlike Kim Clijsters who will just pick herself up and get on with it), or the way she turns a simple challenge into into a drawn-out consultation with the umpire, then her camp - wastes a lot of time. Thing is, I wouldn't even care if she wasn't hung-up on other people's time-wasting yet utterly unable to recognise her own.

young_gunner913
May 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM

HBIC that's never even made a final... Safina is more of HBIC at RG then Jankovic.

Jajaloo
May 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Thing is, I wouldn't even care if she wasn't hung-up on other people's time-wasting yet utterly unable to recognise her own.

Fair enough.

HBIC that's never even made a final... Safina is more of HBIC at RG then Jankovic.

The same Safina who lost first round? I was kidding when I said she was the HBIC. I don't even care.

fouc
May 28th, 2010, 08:17 AM
It just annoys me because it's supposed to be a rule, 25 seconds and that's it, any more you get a warning, do it again and a point penalty.

where did u get 25? it's 20.

young_gunner913
May 28th, 2010, 08:22 AM
The same Safina who lost first round? I was kidding when I said she was the HBIC. I don't even care.

Still has 2 finals to Jelena's 0.

tenn_ace
May 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
because unless the opponent gets pissed off about it, umpires try not to inject drama into a match. at least, most of them.

players who are about to play a match against Nadal/Jankovic/Hantuchova/etc. know that they would have to deal with this, so they usually let it go

matthias
May 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
good question, but Mary Pierce was the same

matthias
May 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
players who are about to play a match against Nadal/Jankovic/Hantuchova/etc. know that they would have to deal with this, so they usually let it go
if it would be the umpire i would say to Rafa "get finally underwear that fit - itīs annoying to see you crapping your ass all the time"

tenn_ace
May 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM
if it would be the umpire i would say to Rafa "get finally underwear that fit - itīs annoying to see you crapping your ass all the time"

but that's what makes the tickets behind the players more expensive ;) those are prime seats and his underwear saga is a part of entertainment :lol:

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM
if umpires actually enforced the time limit, it would stop them getting into stupid routines (she says while watching Nadal pull his pants out of his crack :rolleyes:)

Bronx19
May 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
They dont enforce anything through fear of upsetting the precious rocksta.. I mean players.

They announced they would crack down on the grunting, never happened.

JJ Expres
May 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I didn't noticed how much time Jelena waste between poins these days.I remember at Wim 2006 Venus complain to umpire cause Jelena served every time 2 sec after finishing points.Maybe because she had weak serve and she didn't prepare at all and now it's different story...

John.
May 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cibulkova was just given one