PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see this sort of Quality again?

Steffica Greles
May 28th, 2010, 01:53 AM
This match wasn't a classic or anything, but you still see quality of stroke play AND blistering power that you just wouldn't get now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0TKSm9CnE

This was before the emergence of the hideous fatipova or the cringeworthy ineptova, groups which all but of a few of today's herd fit into.

Both of these women, playing as they were then (when Steffi was arguably past her prime), would clearly crush these girls now, including Venus and Serena - who are both past their best.

Lindsay was one of the most talented players to ever play the game, in my opinion, and as for Steffi - breathtaking in every sense of the word.

mckyle.
May 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Oh, you again. Get over it bby.

tennisbum79
May 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
What don't create a nostalgia channel to show your favorite from the past during GS.

I am sure there are those who share your discontent and disdain for the game today.
You can lure them to your Nostalgia Channel.

Be sure to wanr them all the matches are normal speed, not slow motion.

Cakeisgood
May 28th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Can you just live in the Blast From the Past forum from now on?

DOUBLEFIST
May 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
This match wasn't a classic or anything, but you still see quality of stroke play AND blistering power that you just wouldn't get now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0TKSm9CnE

This was before the emergence of the hideous fatipova or the cringeworthy ineptova, groups which all but of a few of today's herd fit into.

Both of these women, playing as they were then (when Steffi was arguably past her prime), would clearly crush these girls now, including Venus and Serena - who are both past their best.

Lindsay was one of the most talented players to ever play the game, in my opinion, and as for Steffi - breathtaking in every sense of the word.
You're too funny. Just unbelievable. I thought you were going to post something of Steffi against ____________ , but Lindsay? ...In '99? :spit:

Let me just make sure I'm hearing you correctly. You're saying, 1999 LD beats ALL COMERS of today? ALL?

Ryan
May 28th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to believe LD there beats Serena of today. Or Henin. Or Clijsters. She might, but I doubt she'd CRUSH THESE GIRLS like you think. :shrug: It's a nice match, and both are awesome players, but its impossible to say exactly how they'd do today.

slamchamp
May 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
YOU AGAIN:yawn:

J.Bravo
May 28th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Gosh Lindsy's mobility is wretched.
All credit to her amazing groundies.

Marty-Dom
May 28th, 2010, 04:37 AM
speed it up 20% and it looks like the 2005 final.

Volcana
May 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I read the thread title, saw the author, and realized that I could just answer a resounding 'YES' to the thread title, without bothering to read the OP, or view the video. And that's a rare thing. Usually you really can't answer a question without context, but in sports, in this one case, you can.

We always see 'this sort' of quality again.

Eddy Meckx --> Lance Armstrong
Evonne Goolagong --> Justine Henin
Jesse Owens --> Carl Lewis
Michael Jordan --> Kobe Bryant
Margaret Court --> Martina Navratilova
Babe Ruth --> Barry Bonds

dreamgoddess099
May 28th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Have Lindsay or Steffi hired you to do their marketing? They are both rich, married, mothers, and retired now. They really don't need it.

Arnian
May 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
The quality of play from Lindsay alone, was better in the 2005 final than this :o

darrinbaker00
May 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM
The Lindsay Davenport that came back after her first child would double-bagel the Lindsay Davenport of 1999. She was in better shape and she had a greater understanding of the game.

LH2HBH
May 28th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Haha. Good match but we could dig up youtube clips of great quality matches from 1980-2010 if ya really want.

LH2HBH
May 28th, 2010, 05:53 AM
The quality of play from Lindsay alone, was better in the 2005 final than this :o

OMG - Totally. 2004-2005 Lindsay Davenport was so much better than version one.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/83915948.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5483D6234349A674986 8DF7BC4E209ACBC4D257239BF0DB321A

Sir Stefwhit
May 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
When it comes to Steffi, you'll be hard pressed to find another more fanatic than I (or it "me"?). Anyway, I'm all about Steffi, and maybe we should talk offline cuz I've got a really nice collection, maybe we can trade videos. With that said, I think it's time to stop living in the past.

I appreciated tennis for what it was then, and I'm able to do that with todays game as well. I think today's game gets a bad rep from mostly old people who have a hard time letting go. The fact is, this isn't your grandpas tennis anymore.

The rivalries of yesteryear are what really made tennis so much fun back then, not so much the technique or the moonballing, or the 100 shot marathon matches that used to bore me to no end (equal to watcher two bashers in today's game)~ and people were actually surprised that 12 and 13 year olds girls could beat older women...lol. In todays game women dominate, not little girls. In an era of pushers it was a lot easier for the top players to maintain consistency. So it's no surprised it was a lot funner then, the top players always made the later rounds. Back then the sport thrived on rivalries. That's the only thing really missing in todays game, IMO. On that one front the 'post Graf' era is lacking big time. But lets not pretend the old days were all good, cuz that's not how I remembered them.

People don't recognize the athleticism, the technique, and the practice it takes to have a long term successful career playing high risks tennis. Sure you can make the argument that so many women play one style today, but the fact remains only a few have consistently mastered that style of play and those that have need to be a lot more respected than they are. Serena, Venus, Justine, Sharapova, and Kim excite me just as much as Stefi, Navrat, Seles, Sabatini, and Aranxta did.

I don't look at tennis as ballet, to me it's a sport. I personally enjoy the competitive component more than I do anything else (that's probably why I prefer Rafa to Roger). But to each his own, I guess.... just think it might be time for you to move into present time and enjoy it for what it is.

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM
This is a very underrated match, and I would agree that most recent GS finals do not matchup. It was all full of winners, and I would say Steffi was better from the baseline, even though the backhand was actually misfiring that day - what made the difference at the end was Lindsay's serve. I absolutely love the two backhand passing shots Steffi hit. :heart:

I think Steffi was the most beautiful grass court baseline player. The combination of the athleticism, the footwork, the huge forehand (how big she went for it on grass) and the subtle backhand is just unmatched. And of course she's a respectable volleyer too.

In other news, I think Lindsay has the most beautiful volleys bar none currently active. :tongue: It's too bad she couldn't cover the net with her fat self. ( incidentally Steffica Greles apparently is willing to forget that).

stangtennis
May 28th, 2010, 06:42 AM
AND blistering power that you just wouldn't get now.
Blistering power where? Much slower than todays game.

Midnight_Robber
May 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
speed it up 20% and it looks like the 2005 final.

*nods* Yeah. What Marty-Dom said. :shrug: Lindsay became a fitter, marginally more mobile player and an even more powerful player than she was in '99, but I'm assuming that we're supposed to overlook that because she's standing on the other side of the net opposite *gasp* Steffi Graf - right? (I guess even the grass was made of gold and the sky above made of sapphires because - Steffi!) I really like Linds and always will, and it was a good match but let's not go overboard here.

crazillo
May 28th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Actually she became faster later on and the material enables players to hit bigger than back then. If they played today, they'd still rock.

LDVTennis
May 28th, 2010, 08:10 AM

No, it wasn't. If you think otherwise, prove it.

Midnight_Robber
May 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
No, it wasn't. If you think otherwise, prove it.

:eek: What?

Er...ever heard of an opinion? (Even if it is one different to yours?)

BTW, I agree with Arnian on this.

homogenius
May 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
:weirdo:

WhatTheDeuce
May 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Will we ever see you STFU about how you don't like modern tennis, and stop posting YouTube clips to satisfy your incessant need to be nostalgic?

Nobody gives a shit anymore.

Beat
May 28th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Can you just live in the Blast From the Past forum from now on?

that'd be a good idea.

and that wasn't even that good a match ... :zzz:

Jakeev
May 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ugh I walked into this thread forgetting I was gonna read the same thing I probably did a year ago from the thread starter.

Really though, Steffi could barely beat the sisters as teenagers you really think she could have now?

Somebody find a glitch in the theory of relativity already and send Steffica back to the early 90s......

Vanity Bonfire
May 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I love how you call modern players fat and then put a video up of Davenport circa 99 and how much you adore her. Amaze:bowdown:.

Dave.
May 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm finding it hard to believe LD there beats Serena of today. Or Henin. Or Clijsters. She might, but I doubt she'd CRUSH THESE GIRLS like you think. :shrug: It's a nice match, and both are awesome players, but its impossible to say exactly how they'd do today.

This. Lindsay had close rivalries with all of those players. There was little crushing going on between them back then and I don't think it would be any different now.

And Serena :lol: She beat world no.2 Lindsay as a 16 y/o in just her 3rd event. Lindsay would not be beating her now.

Nice match, but another complete fail of a thread highlighting the OP's already painfully obvious double standard when it comes to comparing 90's to present. (:lol: I love Lindsay but she was in no better shape then, as the world no.1 mind you, than the likes of Kleybanova now).

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Lindsay/S. Williams a close rivalry. Joke of the Day.

Dave.
May 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Gave PeakRena her closest match at USO 2002. But you're right it wasn't as close as the others.

The Dawntreader
May 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
The Wimby final in '99 was one of Graf's worst Slam final performances, relative to her others.

Lindsay served ridiculously well from that match i remember. Graf's forehand was too erratic in key stages.

Chorophyll
May 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Graf got her tactics so wrong. Had she been more astute that day Lindsay would have never won Wimbledon. It was only fitting that she would retire shortly after.

Dave.
May 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
If I'm honest, I don't think it really mattered how Graf played.

Polikarpov
May 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
If I'm honest, I don't think it really mattered how Graf played.

I agree. I actually thought Graf played pretty well in this match.