PDA

View Full Version : Safina's mother: Željko Krajan has done nothing

Sergius
May 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
The source (in Russian) http://www.championat.ru/tennis/news-504786.html I tried to translate it as good as I can.
The Mother of the Russian tennis player Dinara Safina Rausa Islanova has told to the press why Dinara had decided to stop her collaboration with her coach Krajan.

" Being a coach myself I can say that Krajan's coaching has produced almost zero result. I couldn't step it in because Dinara has got good results, (but) it had been based on her (previous)collaboration with her former coaches. Željko just listened to her and realized what were the things Dinara hadn't worked on with other coaches. Perhaps he used to say her something that she as a girl was pleased to hear. But the work that was to be done hasn't been done.
During this 2 years he hasn't make it better, he only made the shortcomings of her game worse. (Gaston) Etlis had arrived to Paris 2 days before the French Open started, Hernan Gumi had helped her before that. Anyway, problems can not be solved quickly and Dinara understands that."

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I think that is a little ungratefull.
Number #1 ranking, 3 GS finals.
You call that zero results.

Oh boy, this slam has so many bitchiness, even the coacahes are getting in the act.

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
The source (in Russian) http://www.championat.ru/tennis/news-504786.html I tried to translate it as good as I can.
The Mother of the Russian tennis player Dinara Safina Rausa Islanova has told to the press why Dinara had decided to stop her collaboration with her coach Krajan.

" Being a coach myself I can say that Krajan's coaching has produced almost zero result. I couldn't step it in because Dinara has got good results, (but) it had been based on her (previous)collaboration with her former coaches. Željko just listened to her and realized what were the things Dinara hadn't worked on with other coaches. Perhaps he used to say her something that she as a girl was pleased to hear. But the work that was to be done hasn't been done.
During this 2 years he hasn't make it better, he only made the shortcomings of her game worse. (Gaston) Etlis had arrived to Paris 2 days before the French Open started, Hernan Gumi had helped her before that. Anyway, problems can not be solved quickly and Dinara understands that."

Honestly.. that sounds about right. But I'm biased b/c I can't stand Krajan

Ferg
May 27th, 2010, 05:39 PM
:weirdo:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
it's not that he did nothing...she went from a mid ranked player who could cause an upset to the top of the game in terms of ranking and 3 slam finals...

she just became to dependent on him for on court coaching that she couldn't strengthen her own resolve and out think the top players in slams where she couldn't call on him

spiritedenergy
May 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
it worked more on a psychological level that anything, still it worked better than ever for her:shrug:

and what does it mean "things that as a girl she liked", isn't he married with children?:o

twight6
May 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
From watching Safina play last year's Roland Garros and losing what, like 8 games en route to the final?

Then this year she absolutely fell apart against Date Krumm.. Waht I've seen from her over the last year, it has nothing to do with her play but her mind. She still has the goods, but when she goes for the forehand and it misses five feet wide... :shrug:

ce
May 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
:weirdo:

Tripp
May 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Gastón is a good coach, I'm sure he'll make improvements in Dinara's game. But that said, no one can do miracles, in the end it's up to her to make up for her mental weakness.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I understand mom is a coach and followed this closely.
But its over, everyone should move on and be positive.

Sergius
May 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Well, as for me I think that she's partly right. I don't like Željko for changing Dinara's playing style, he seemed to make her another pova hitting the ball so hard. Beside that he was too agressive and his behaviour wasn't good (e.g. leaving court when Dinara was playing crappy), and Dinara was so dependant on him.
On the other hand, I remember Rausa praising him about a year ago, in numerous of her interviews she said that she was happy for Dinara havimg such a good coach. She's weird:confused:

Mynarco
May 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
:o be grateful, woman

timafi
May 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
how grateful of her considering she made a couple of slam finals under this do nothing coach:rolleyes:

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I understand mom is a coach and followed this closely.
But its over, everyone should move on and be positive.
Why does she sound so bitter.

She is calling him an imposter, although she not using the word.
She is a coach herself, why did she let this go on for so long?

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Dinara liked him. But it's the players who are on the court.
She had several different coaches along the way.
Most players switch coaches now and then. Sveta switched right before clay last year.

earthcrystal
May 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Honestly.. that sounds about right. But I'm biased b/c I can't stand Krajan

Ditto.

edificio
May 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Best thing he did was ask her to get in better shape. Beyond that, I don't think he helped her confidence. He made her dependent on him. I'm biased, too. I didn'tlike him either.

Why does she sound so bitter.

She is calling him an imposter, although she not using the word.
She is a coach herself, why did she let this go on for so long?

Probably Dinara would not listen. Sometimes people have to figure things out on their own, or maybe she could call in her coach. :)

Tripp
May 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
but Argentina is a dangerous road....

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

UncleZeke
May 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Regardless of who is coaching her, the biggest obstacle for her to overcome to be a GS Champion, is between her ears..

duhcity
May 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Krajan made Dinara one of the fittest players on tour.

But the game he mader her play was too taxing and his style made her even more mentally unstable.

massaraksh
May 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
well, what Rausa is saying might be true, but at the same time she's very biased like every mother...

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM
where was she when her daughter called herself a chicken during the RG09 final

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Best thing he did was ask her to get in better shape. Beyond that, I don't think he helped her confidence. He made her dependent on him. I'm biased, too. I didn'tlike him either.
How getting her to #1 ranking and GS finals?

I know you don't like him, but at least be fair and give him his due.
The mother lieking him to an impostor is not cool.

Probably Dinara would not listen. Sometimes people have to figure things out on their own, or maybe she could call in her coach. :)

Well, Safina is an adult, she can make her own decision she she wants to.

If the mpther thkinks Safinal should have made that decision a long time ago, she should not blame the coach.

it hink it just a msplace anger from the mother's part. She could have gracious and sayd she thinks it is time to move on and try somehing else.
Then thank the coach for the work he did with her daughter, taking her #1 and GS finals.

TS
May 28th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think they had one of the oddest coach/player relationships I've ever seen. It was too destructive, and he had to go. She was a mess on court, and relied on him far too strongly during matches that it just sent her over the edge. I think Mama Safina is being a bit harsh on him, but a change was needed and the split had to happen.

Petkorazzi
May 28th, 2010, 05:25 AM
:shrug: I think it's a bit exagerated to say he did nothing. Clearly Krajan had big influence on Dinara, I remember how many times she would just wake up and come back to win matches after Zelko would come on court and give him advice.

viele
May 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm sure Dinara is a lovely girl but this makes she her even more unlikeable. She needs to to take some responsibility for her own inability to be mentally tough and competitive on court. A coach can only do so much for a player. It's up to the player to have some nerve and mental resolve on court and not rely so heavily on coaches and others for mental support while playing. If she was or is unable to do that than maybe what she needs is a psychologist not a new coach!

Caralenko
May 28th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Myskina said the same thing in a blog earlier this week.

Sergius
May 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Myskina said the same thing in a blog earlier this week.

Yeah, she says that the only good thing that he's done is making Dinara's game more aggressive, but despite that she thinks he has spoiled Safina's game, and her results were provided the previous work with other coaches.

Jajaloo
May 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I think that is a little ungratefull.
Number #1 ranking, 3 GS finals.
You call that zero results.

Oh boy, this slam has so many bitchiness, even the coacahes are getting in the act.

I agree.

Best.slam.ever.