PDA

View Full Version : Ivanovic on Jankovic: "It shows sports don't build character"

Kworb
May 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
#Ivanovic on Jankovic' mocking fist pump few wks ago. First she said she wouldn't comment, then "sports don't build character, it shows it."

http://twitter.com/gregcouch/status/14843566299

:lick:

Miss Amor
May 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing:

spiritedenergy
May 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
please mods close this thread it's going to be ugly and full of nonsense.:rolleyes:

NEXT!

moby
May 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
She's right. When Jelena lost her form after reaching world number 1, she hung on in the top 10 and has since worked her way back to world number 4.

Daniel K
May 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
:boxing: FIGHT!

Ok I'm starting to enjoy bitchyness making a comeback again :drool:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 05:14 PM
:rolls:

slamchamp
May 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
lol what is going on lately :drool:

Curtos07
May 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I listened to the interview on RG Radio and Ana didn't really want to discuss the issue. She repeatedly said it's hard to comment and sounded very uncomfortable about the topic.

Dave.
May 27th, 2010, 05:16 PM
:worship:

Langers
May 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Rezai has sent the tour crazy!

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Another family feud.

The 2 best players from the same country going at each other.

I am NOT suprrised with the French players because they have been doing for years, and they have many players.

But Serbia, with only 2 very good players(Ana not doing well at the moment, but is GS winner) , both of whom former #1, ripping each other?

slamchamp
May 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Serbian sisters:sad:

volta
May 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
oh WOW 2010 has been full of drama , nobody is holding back a thing :haha: i love it

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Its too bad Ivanovic that you can't exact revenge against Jelena on court because I would love to see you dominate her again.

Ugh.

thenj
May 27th, 2010, 05:22 PM
awwww all this bitchiness is delicious

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 05:22 PM
:lol:. That's pretty decent.

Hugh.
May 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Wise words there from Ana. :worship:

Jienus
May 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
No, it just shows she was raised badly by her parents.

Who is Ivanovic to talk about someone else's behavior anyway? She's has been consistently classless during matches in the past. Both as bad as each other.

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
She was probably pushed into this...

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Oh Ana! You should have just stayed quiet.

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM
No, it just shows she was raised badly by her parents.

Who is Ivanovic to talk about someone else's behavior anyway? She's has been consistently classless during matches in the past. Both as bad as each other.

Over one incident, it indicates that she was raised badly by her parents? :lol:

She has every right to talk about Jelena imitating her but IMO, she should have stayed quiet, especially since she's said "it shows tennis doesn't build character".

tenn_ace
May 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think WTA sent out a memo asking all of them to become bitches again. Tennis sux at the moment, at least the entertainment value will go up. Tickets sell. :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
oh WOW 2010 has been full of drama , nobody is holding back a thing :haha: i love it

don't you just :haha: reminding me of the good old days

Ferg
May 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
This French Open is so bitchy :speakles:

DualMedia
May 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM
ana seems like she was pushed and pressured into this! ana doesnt seem like a girl who diss another girl!

Wiggly
May 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
This French Open is so bitchy :speakles:

Last year was nasty aswell. :lol:

moby
May 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Who is Ivanovic to talk about someone else's behavior anyway? She's has been consistently classless during matches in the past. Both as bad as each other.Yes, she tries to actively rob Daniela of a point. This is Capriati-level shenanigans.
Also, she was generally obnoxious in this match.

@ 0:50

Y0MnZ5QS1d4

Russianboy
May 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
every day another bitchfight :lol:

Curtos07
May 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I listened to the presser, she was pushed. Ana didn't even want to talk about it trying to avoid the topic all together. She was very uncomfortable discussing it.

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 05:34 PM
ana seems like she was pushed and pressured into this! ana doesnt seem like a girl who diss another girl!
Ana should have stood her ground and refuse to comment on it.

Now this is likely to continue after JJ responds

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I listened to the presser, she was pushed. Ana didn't even want to talk about it trying to avoid the topic all together. She was very uncomfortable discussing it.

Doesn't Ana have a backbone? She should have stood firm and asked them to move on.

I'm a bit disappointed in Ana by being forced into commenting on something.

More evidence to show that her mentality in tennis doesn't help.

dsanders06
May 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Lmao, I love how Ana managed a spectacular putdown while remaining classy and articulate.

Russianboy
May 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Wise words there from Ana. :worship:

probably someone else told her :lol:

The Daviator
May 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Nice comment :)

Simple, not offensive or bitchy, but the point is made.

Mrs. Dimitrova
May 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Oh Ana. Should have ignored them. :sobbing:

hankqq
May 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM
hey, maybe she needs something like this to fire her up again ;) :lol: whatever works at this point! :p

Wiggly
May 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
hey, maybe she needs something like this to fire her up again ;) :lol: whatever works at this point! :p

The Ajdes aren't working obviously.

Curtos07
I hope they show the video of this, because I actually saw it and you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.

toby345
Wonder when Maria's next bitchy incident will come :spit:

hurricanejeanne

Totally. It's awesome! :drool:

More drama! :bounce:

tonybotz
May 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
meow!

Mynarco
May 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
:haha:

Dandy_Warhol
May 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
omg i love how bitchy the tour is right now :sobbing: :drool:

i want MOARRRRRRR of these stuffs but Ana should have just http://i40.tinypic.com/juxy5f.jpg

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ana should have stood her ground and refuse to comment on it.

Now this is likely to continue after JJ responds

likely in half hour when jj does her presser :lol:

MaBaker
May 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Irrelevant player. Bye.

WowWow
likely in half hour when jj does her presser :lol:

I hope JJ takes it to another level:drool:

Wiggly
Jelena was in a bitchy mood today so watch out for her presser. :devil:
And she'll have the last word as Ana is out.

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I hope they show the video of this, because I actually saw it and you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.
Can you fill us in based what you saw.

Maybe we'll get better perspective.

Do you disagree with

She was psuched to make these comments
She should have stood her ground and refused to comment when pushed by somesone who obvioulsy wanted to start some thing.
Personally, I don't think Ana would willingly do this sort of thing

toxina90
May 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Irrelevant player. Bye.

:drool:

The Empress won't even bat an eyelid ;)

Direwolf
Adje Ana!!

Apoleb
Irrelevant player. Bye.

Having a slam (and 3 GS finals to boot) will always make you more relevant than being slamless, playing a lot and beating scrubs. Isn't this why JJ is so bitter? :shrug:

Brena
May 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I think they should ask Rezai to comment on this and then retell Marion what Rezai said so that she can put some insight into the matter as well. Sofia Arvidsson should blog about it afterwards.

Miss Amor
May 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Just awesome how Ana came out as the classy one out of this bitchfight.

Slutiana
May 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Irrelevant player. Bye.
:smoke:

2moretogo
May 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Heard her live presser, and she did sound uncomfortable talking about the subject. Kind of disagree, because I think that team sports do build character, and in some instances so do indivdual sports. I think that tennis is a bad over all example of sportmanship.

Привет
Well duh. Ana's been proving her point for years every time she goes ballistic after her opponent hits an unforced error.

Kipling
:lol:

And you guys say the French girls are bad....

Tennisstar86
May 27th, 2010, 06:06 PM
:sobbing:

Bruno71
Having a slam (and 3 GS finals to boot) will always make you more relevant than being slamless, playing a lot and beating scrubs. Isn't this why JJ is so bitter? :shrug:

Maybe. What's your excuse?

JackFrost
WTF? Ana is bitching back at Jelena?
Finally an other side than that holy boring smiling pin-up girl.
I like it. :lol:

Dandy_Warhol
I hope JJ takes it to another level:drool:

you know she will :devil:

WowWow
May 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I think they should ask Rezai to comment on this and then retell Marion what Rezai said so that she can put some insight into the matter as well. Sofia Arvidsson should blog about it afterwards.

Curtos07
May 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Can you fill us in based what you saw.

Maybe we'll get better perspective.

Do you disagree with

She was psuched to make these comments
She should have stood her ground and refused to comment when pushed by somesone who obvioulsy wanted to start some thing.
Personally, I don't think Ana would willingly do this sort of thing

She was asked about JJ's fistpump by some lady reporter and Ana clearly didn't want to answer the question. You can her the nervousness in her voice as she said "It's really hard to comment" a few times, then she dropped the quote "You know there's a saying, Sports don't build character, it shows it" in a kind gentle voice, but anybody who was listening could notice that she desperately wanted to avoid talking about the topic. Even the RG radio commentators said that. She was put in a position she didn't want to be in and slipped what she probably really felt but she didn't bring it up intentionally. And I say that being as objective as I can be.

People are completely blowing this way out of proportion. It wasn't a bitchy like comment. The video and audio would prove other wise.

Polikarpov
May 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Oh Ana why did you bite the bait? Now it's almost certain that the journalists are going to bring this up in Jelena's presser. And knowing Jelena...

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
WTF? Ana is bitching back at Jelena?
Finally an other side than that holy boring smiling pin-up girl.
I like it. :lol:

Ana does not really need this at the moment.
She has more to worry about.

Plus, I don't think she is comfortable getting in this king of back-and-forth bitchiness

pokey camp
May 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Doesn't Ana have a backbone? She should have stood firm and asked them to move on.

I'm a bit disappointed in Ana by being forced into commenting on something.

More evidence to show that her mentality in tennis doesn't help.
Yes. If Ana had a backbone she wouldn't have been "bullied" into talking about it. Then again if Ana had a backbone or any mental toughness she wouldn't be in this tailspin. :shrug:

Which just shows... sports doesn't build character. :tape: :help:

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Well, at least her response seems intelligent. But...

Irrelevant player. Bye.

This. (at the moment)

http://i43.tinypic.com/14sfm05.jpg

José Morgado
May 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html the video!

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
She was asked about JJ's fistpump by some lady reporter and Ana clearly didn't want to answer the question. You can her the nervousness in her voice as she said "It's really hard to comment" a few times, then she dropped the quote "You know there's a saying, Sports don't build character, it shows it" in a kind gentle voice, but anybody who was listening could notice that she desperately wanted to avoid talking about the topic. Even the RG radio commentators said that. She was put in a position she didn't want to be in and slipped what she probably really felt but she didn't bring it up intentionally. And I say that being as objective as I can be.

People are completely blowing this way out of proportion. It wasn't a bitchy like comment. The video and audio would prove other wise.
Thanks.

I do think this is out of character for Ana. I wished she had resfused and stay firm

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

spiritedenergy
Well, at least her response seems intelligent. But...

This. (at the moment)

http://i43.tinypic.com/14sfm05.jpg

if ana is irrelevant while did she mimic her fistpump and created this fuss herself? maybe the fact that despite 2 awful years ana is still more relevant got to her:awww:

volta

OMG YES :lol: there is always a new bitchy quote day after day after day after day ... :haha:

Apoleb
Then again if Ana had a backbone or any mental toughness she wouldn't be in this tailspin. :shrug:

Which just shows... sports doesn't build character. :tape: :help:

Mental toughness doesn't have much to do with it. Her whole game has regressed.

I'd say when she was playing well she showed much more mental toughness (thus "character") than JJ. JJ makes up for it by being "funny", I guess. She had numerous comebacks while saving match points while JJ keeps withering away in the critical moments against top players. So fail for your statement.

moby
May 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I hope they show the video of this, because I actually saw it and you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.We have to.

WTA tennis is already shitty, and the best spat they can provide us is Rezai-Bartoli? :help:

At least this is between two former #1s.

heavensider
May 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Holy Crap!

Curtos07
May 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Here is the video folks. Talk about blowing a comment way out of proportion. :rolleyes: (begins at :37 secs)

w4elXI6-DPg

spiritedenergy
May 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Here is the video folks. Talk about blowing a comment way out of proportion. :rolleyes:

w4elXI6-DPg

why did you post it here? this interview is so delusional it will attract more hate on her:o

however it's clear she meant "fistpumps show my character on court", so it wasn't a blow at JJ, she was basically defending herself.

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html the video!

She wasn't really pressed to answer this, but it's not a big deal anyway. It's just a saying and for all we know she may be thinking the same about herself and her own on court antics. :lol:

MagicMilan
May 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I like that Ana responded, JJ's mocking asked for it.
Though the answer certainly seems prepared, and is a bit low...
Whatever girls... :rolleyes:

narutos
May 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Oh girls just fight on court I think that's what you're paying for.

Tennisstar86
May 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
^ blowing out of proportion?... :lol: its a bitchy comment.... close to (but obviously not as great as) "she obviously lacks a formal education

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I just saw the interview, she was not really pressed that hard.
yes she did feel a little uncomfotable, not much pushing was done

homogenius
May 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Here is the video folks. Talk about blowing a comment way out of proportion. :rolleyes: (begins at :37 secs)

w4elXI6-DPg

"I feel more and more confident on court " :lol:
Poor girl is living in a parallel reality :hug:

azdaja
May 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
of course this is going to be blown out of proportion, but who cares. i'm glad ana said it and i'm glad she did it in a classy way. and there is nothing bitchy about reacting to an idiotic action and jj's action was idiotic.

oh, and ana will always be relevant for jj. she is in her head obviously. and because she achieved more and because she is more popular.

pokey camp
May 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Mental toughness doesn't have much to do with it. Her whole game has regressed.

I'd say when she was playing well she showed much more mental toughness (thus "character") than JJ. JJ makes up for it by being "funny", I guess. She had numerous comebacks while saving match points while JJ keeps withering away in the critical moments against top players. So fail for your statement.
Why do you think her game magically regressed? :scratch:

That's the root of my statement. Mental toughness has a lot to do with it. That nervous ball toss, the lack of self belief, her own admissions about being overwhelmed by expectations, the tears on court, the horrible negative body language, the refusal to hit out in big moments, the hyperventilating on court, on and on.

And where in post did I compare JJ to Ana? Neither are mental stalwarts to say the least. :shrug:

Nikkiri
May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Just watched her say it... what a fuss over nothing :rolls: Girl can't even bitch right. :lol:

brent-o
May 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Why does Ana always seem so content and bubbly after losses? Seriously, I'm all for keeping a positive attitude, but it's downright annoying that she doesn't acknowledge that she's been sucking it up for a while now.

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Why do you think her game magically regressed? :scratch:

Technical issues? :shrug: She's not the first to have a ridiculous slump and it's easy to be "mentally tough" when you have solid technique. As for the other things you mentioned, she's obviously low on confidence right now and it's very simplistic to pinpoint her downfall to "mental toughness". There are much bigger issues with her game that became more glaring with time.

And where in post did I compare JJ to Ana? Neither are mental stalwarts to say the least. :shrug:It's about your standards. I'd say Ana has shown before decent fighting and toughness in her matches relative to most other players.

V-MAC
May 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I see a "Venus Envy pt.II" book being published before the year is out:o

Brena
May 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Well, I agree with Ana. I've been saying for ages that someone who continuously fistpumps and screams at her opponent's face can't be a nice person off court, no matter how giggly and exciting she may appear. ;)

Dave.
May 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
We have to.

WTA tennis is already shitty, and the best spat they can provide us is Rezai-Bartoli? :help:

At least this is between two former #1s.

It's more like Rezai-everyone.

I don't see how a spat changes anything though. If the tennis is bad, it's bad. And the way things are blown up around here people would just be further disappointed when nothing happens on the court.

w4elXI6-DPg

Thanks for posting. Ana is pure class. :worship:

propi
May 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Le dijo la sartén al cazo :o

ce
May 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
next.

azdaja
May 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Well, I agree with Ana. I've been saying for ages that someone who continuously fistpumps and screams at her opponent's face can't be a nice person off court, no matter how giggly and exciting she may appear. ;)
and how does this prove that ana is not nice? jj's action deserved a reaction and ana could have said far worse things than this. and she reacted only after she was asked about it.

i guess fistpumps will remain the only argument you people have, and no, it's not a very convincing one.

~Kiera~
May 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
https://twitter.com/gregcouch

Jankovic on Ivanovic ripping her for mocking fist pump: "I don't think it's nice to put the fist in the face. Can be a little irritating."

disco_rage
May 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hahaha oh dear. get over yourself Ana, stop taking yourself so seriously.

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM

If this is JJ's justification, then I'd call it a knock-out for Ana, and who would've guessed. :tape: She found it irritating in a match where Ana clearly held down and barely did any Ajde or any of it? Shows how much she's in her head. :rolls:

spiritedenergy
May 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM

ana is one of the dozens of players who fistpump though, why she's doing this only to ana?:shrug:

BlackPanther.
May 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Girl can't even bitch right. :lol:

Ofc not, she is not used to be :shrug:. I think this is the only thing that Jelena is better than Ana, being bitchy. :worship:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
can't wait for them to play again :rolls: this will be hilare!

moby
May 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
ana is one of the dozens of players who fistpump though, why she's doing this only to ana?:shrug:Ana's emphatically exaggerated ajdes annoy me, and I don't usually care about how players celebrate.
Now that she hardly makes it to the broadcast, I don't have to suffer through it anymore.

Just saying, because I doubt JJ is being completely truthful.

Nikkiri
May 27th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I expected better Jelena.. hopefully she's got more to say.

timafi
May 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
what is the WTA feeding the girls these days;they can't seem to stop yapping about each other:devil:

Optima
May 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
:inlove:

Brena
May 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
JJ explained it concisely and to the point. :)

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah Ana finally has the guts to say something :clap2:

Ana's emphatically exaggerated ajdes annoy me, and I don't usually care about how players celebrate.
Now that she hardly makes it to the broadcast, I don't have to suffer through it anymore.

Just saying, because I doubt JJ is being completely truthful.

Wash Rinse and Repost again and again and again and again :yawn:

Nikkiri
May 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
JJ explained it concisely and to the point. :)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2wlyr8j.gif

Polikarpov
Jankovic using the words "face" and "irritating" in the same sentence.

VishaalMaria
I think it's clear though that Ana pretty much owned Jelena with that one comment. And the funny thing is, she didn't even mean it in a bitchy way.

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2hnlthh.jpg

moby
Jankovic using the words "face" and "irritating" in the same sentence.If Ana says this, it's a slam dunk. :worship:
Otherwise, it's a draw, and Ana comes across as taking herself too seriously.

Bruno71
I think it's clear though that Ana pretty much owned Jelena with that one comment. And the funny thing is, she didn't even mean it in a bitchy way.

What's clear to me is Ana is irrelevant on the court, so she's trying to have her fun off the court. Kudos to her.

améliemomo
May 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM

rezai or the "centre of the earth" for some here:help:

it's getting insane:o

Just Do It
May 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
*drama

fouc
May 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Classy diss. Everyone, starting Rezai, should learn from Ana.

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM

http://i43.tinypic.com/2hnlthh.jpg

Neither has anything on the way Nadal celebrates points :rolleyes: but yet for some reason I never hear about him getting shit for it :shrug:

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Cronin tweeted that Jankovic answered back, but didn't tweet what yet

azdaja
May 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
and that's the best she can come up with? especially given that ana has actually tried to tone it down in the match against her.

not that i sxpected much from her anyway.

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
What's clear to me is Ana is irrelevant on the court, so she's trying to have her fun off the court. Kudos to her.

A ultimate TF Pot Kettle Black post :D

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Neither has anything on the way Nadal celebrates points :rolleyes: but yet for some reason I never hear about him getting shit for it :shrug:

Serena fist pumps in the face of her opponents all the time (I don't have anything against it personally). You'll never hear JJ say anything about it (and in fact JJ was trying to give death stares in the Kanepi match). This is a perfect "kick her while she's down" scenario that started with the Fed Cup comments. ;) Honestly I liked JJ before that, but that changed my opinion of her.

Riiight, because the off-court bitchiness was started by Ana, eh? Stop failing in this thread, Bruno71. :o

moby
May 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Neither has anything on the way Nadal celebrates points :rolleyes: but yet for some reason I never hear about him getting shit for it :shrug:My mom does, but I don't think she matters in this matter. :lol: Then again, do we?

Ana's celebrations (and shoe-squeaking) began in 07-08 and reached its peak against Daniela in the Australian Open, which I think was the singular match that made people really notice those antics. She was aight before that.

Cakeisgood
May 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Instead of concerning ourselves with this non-drama, let's go back to the GOAT press conference :)
s3uY3wesJmQ

Aaric
May 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
00´s are back :lol:

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM

She may be irrelevant on court right now, but that didn't stop her from owning Jelena in a dignified manner.

The one time Ana is "pushed" into saying something, she pretty much puts Jelena in her place.

Out of all of this, Ana comes off better and it's not really surprising.

terjw
May 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Not the time to be talking about character and making bitchy comments Ana - when you just crashed out the tournament with a bagel at that. It sounded a bit rehearsed and unnatural - a bit like her fistpumps. And why she does she do this exaggerated fistpumpimg in the opponents face anyway which seems so contrived for an introvert and does annoy the hell out of the majority of players. When she was good - she didn't do it.

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Not the time to be talking about character and making bitchy comments Ana - when you just crashed out the tournament with a bagel at that. It sounded a bit rehearsed and unnatural - a bit like her fistpumps. And why she does she do this exaggerated fistpumpimg in the opponents face anyway which seems so contrived for an introvert and does annoy the hell out of the majority of players. When she was good - she didn't do it.

Ignorance is bliss.

Did you watch the video? Go watch it.

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
JJ's full reply:

JELENA JANKOVIC: For me, you know, I don't need really to comment on that, you know. I don't think it's a right time to comment on this kind of thing.
But for me, as a player, it's ‑‑ every player has their way of, you know, motivating themselves and pumping themselves up, you know, if you win a point or you didn't win a point. But I don't think it's nice to put it, you know, the fist in their face. That's what can be a little irritating. That's the only ‑‑ but all the players, they do, you know, different kind of gestures, you know, with their hands.
But, you know, it's a little bit ‑‑ when you do that in the player's face, and especially after not winning a point after your opponent missed an easy ball, I don't think it's ‑‑ I don't think that's fair play.
That's just my opinion, and that's what I, as a player, don't like to do to other players. If I'm ‑‑ if I win a point or something, I do it, but I don't go like that in your face (holds up fist). That was only ‑‑ and especially when it comes to maybe me and Ana, we are two girls from the same country, and it's nice to have a nice relationship and play a normal match. Somebody has to win, and that's normal.
We're both professionals. We want to do our best on the court, and I think we should play fair. That's just my opinion. I have nothing, you know, against her or fist pumps or whatever. I play my game. I have my personality. I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court. But for me, I prefer to this kind of way like I already explained

She thinks it's not fair play. :awww: I think someone got owned there.

SOA_MC
My mom does, but I don't think she matters in this matter. :lol: Then again, do we?

Ana's celebrations (and shoe-squeaking) began in 07-08 and reached its peak against Daniela in the Australian Open, which I think was the singular match that made people really notice those antics. She was aight before that.

I've heard that reason a million times before to :p I'm not trying to convince anyone any different. If you don't like her you don't like her :shrug: However maybe if now Ana starts bitching openly offcourt more people around here will start to like her. It's works that way on this forum :lol:

Cp6uja
Ana's celebrations (and shoe-squeaking) began in 07-08 and reached its peak against Daniela in the Australian Open, which I think was the singular match that made people really notice those antics. She was aight before that.Her shoe-squeaking don't have anything with her comeback game strategy against Hantuckova that day. That squeaking sound produce only 2008 january Ivanovic's Adidas shoe model with AO new surface (switched that season from rebound ace), and with Ana specific movement when prepare to return serve. She always has same that movement, but only at Melbourne new surface and with that shoes model she produce that sound. And same that sound she produce in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and QF round, and also against Hantuchova when Daniela leading 6-0 2-0... so it's fake explanation why Ivanovic won that match.

terjw
May 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Yep - and that looked reheased and unnatural when she said it - just as I stated

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Have to ask which players? I can only think of one

chloe-l
May 27th, 2010, 07:54 PM

:lol::lol:

moby
May 27th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've heard that reason a million times before to :p I'm not trying to convince anyone different, if you don't like her you don't like her :shrug: However maybe if now Ana starts bitching openly offcourt more people will start to like her. It's works that way on this forum :lol:Yes, I'll immediately be a fan if she dares to say "Jankovic using the words "face" and "irritating" in the same sentence", and does the "Rome and Madrid" laugh right after. :D

Polikarpov
May 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM
"I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court."

Then why mock the fistpump?

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Nice, dignified response from Jelena. :bowdown:

Pretty much all the commentators would agree with her.

Orbis
May 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
The bitchiness is so subtle these days...:lol: But yeah, in the press conference someone asked her what she thought of the imitation and that's all she said (with a smirk :P) but didn't want to comment any further.

edificio
May 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
She wasn't pressed. She is saying that Jelena lacks character. She should have said that Jelena's post-game actions are irrelevant. (This does remind me of the Hingis/Serena exchange, which seemed juvenile, which they were). This tit for tat gets old. You know Jelena will have a comment (oh I see; it isn't a bad comment). I really do find Ana's Ajde's before the ball drops annoying, as well as her constant fist pumps. Don't know if mocking is the way to go, though. I remember when Agassi mocked Kucera's serve IN the match--that was gamesmanship, not sporting.

pokey camp
May 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Technical issues? :shrug: She's not the first to have a ridiculous slump and it's easy to be "mentally tough" when you have solid technique. As for the other things you mentioned, she's obviously low on confidence right now and it's very simplistic to pinpoint her downfall to "mental toughness". There are much bigger issues with her game that became more glaring with time.

It's about your standards. I'd say Ana has shown before decent fighting and toughness in her matches relative to most other players.

No ITA. Saying "player x lacks of mentally toughness" can be too easy. But this is a special case... Has there been a precedent? I've never seen another GS champion and former No. 1 fall apart this badly and for this long without a significant injury. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. :scratch:

For sure there are technical issues now. But I don’t recall too many people pointing out glaring technical flaws in the serve and FH when she was confident and playing well. (Her serve was always a strength until the final v Justine. That was the first appearance of the traveling ball toss and it was all down to nerves. It disappeared only to return post RG 2008 when she was once again feeling the real pressure of expectation.) Mental issues, lack of confidence, nervousness, pressure, etc. can affect technique. Mind controlling bodily. Perfect technique in practice, horrible during matches. It's a nasty cycle.

And yeah, I'm holding Ana to the "GS champion/ former No. 1" standard, not to the "most other players" standard. Probably shouldn't at this point. She's still going out there and playing so maybe that's good enough for now.

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
"I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court."

Then why mock the fistpump?

She said it's irritating, no? And she said she's herself, has her own personality that obviously includes mocking irritating gestures. :lol:

terjw
May 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Pretty much all the commentators would agree with her.

Yep. Sam Smith on EU would agree. Hadn't heard her say anything about fistpumps and concentrates on the tennis but when a male commentator a couple of months back said - noone really is bothered about Ana's fistpumps are they - she replied that most of the players find it extremely annoying. About the only thing she's ever said about it.

dsanders06
May 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
What does everyone think will be the next act of bitchiness at this tournament? My money's on Clijsters and Wozniacki teaming up to tip disabled children out of their wheelchairs.

MB.
May 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Many tennis professionals agree with Jelena, by far.

Article by Bruce Jenkins, from SI, here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/05/18/nadal-federer/index.html
Parting shot: Perhaps it wasn't the coolest thing to do, and it must be noted that there's bad blood between the two, but I was glad to see Jankovic bitterly mimic Ana Ivanovic's fist-pump after their match in Madrid. The subtle fist-pump has become a pathetic, out-of-control gesture on both tours, with players congratulating themselves after every episode that goes their way. Maria Sharapova crafted it into an art form, but there are countless other violators -- even Andy Roddick, who really should know better.

What a shameless display of insecurity. What, you have to reassure yourself after every damn point? Celebratory gestures should be rare and well-chosen, like Nadal's crowd-pleasing leaps when he cracks an especially brilliant winner. Otherwise, you're just a joke out there, especially when you're celebrating someone else's misfortune.

"Did you see how her routine forehand sailed six feet long? Wow, am I good."

Belmont Lad
May 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Oh Ana, I really did like you once upon a time. But your evolution into a maniacal fist pumping, unending stream of adje exhorting, shoe squeeking <on hard courts>, panic attack induced medical timeout when your opponent is serving for the match taking, twirling monster...... has left me somewhat cold. I would take the piss and mock you if I was your opponent! :lol::lol:

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
No ITA. Saying "player x lacks of mentally toughness" can be too easy. But this is a special case... Has there been a precedent? I've never seen another GS champion and former No. 1 fall apart this badly and for this long without a significant injury. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. :scratch:

For sure there are technical issues now. But I don’t recall too many people pointing out glaring technical flaws in the serve and FH when she was confident and playing well. (Her serve was always a strength until the final v Justine. That was the first appearance of the traveling ball toss and it was all down to nerves. It disappeared only to return post RG 2008 when she was once again feeling the real pressure of expectation.) Mental issues, lack of confidence, nervousness, pressure, etc. can affect technique. Mind controlling bodily. Perfect technique in practice, horrible during matches. It's a nasty cycle.

And yeah, I'm holding Ana to the "GS champion/ former No. 1" standard, not to the "most other players" standard. Probably shouldn't at this point. She's still going out there and playing so maybe that's good enough for now.

I disagree about the serve. It was always inconsistent and the tendency for the ball toss to go right was always there. Her whole game always had a raw quality to it, and she was inconsistent from the start of her career. What saved her is the amount of power she was generating, despite the suspect (and inconsistent) strokes. These issues magnified with time. Her forehand is probably the more puzzling aspect, but the serve and backhand were suspect from the start. Pressure certainly had something to do with it and magnified those issues, but I think in general there are bigger factors. Technical issues don't suddenly show up anyway. If you have good technique it will stay there.

Bruno71
May 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
She may be irrelevant on court right now, but that didn't stop her from owning Jelena in a dignified manner.

The one time Ana is "pushed" into saying something, she pretty much puts Jelena in her place.

Out of all of this, Ana comes off better and it's not really surprising.

Ana comes off as she always does. A boring character who acts nice but really is rather empty upstairs when it comes to self-assessment, or how her actions appear to others. She wasn't owned in the least. Ana comes off as an irrelevant dingbat :shrug: :wavey:

moby
May 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I disagree about the serve. It was always inconsistent and the tendency for the ball toss to go right was always there. Her whole game always had a raw quality to it, and she was inconsistent from the start of her career. What saved her is the amount of power she was generating, despite the suspect (and inconsistent) strokes. These issues magnified with time. Her forehand is probably the more puzzling aspect, but the serve and backhand were suspect from the start. Pressure certainly had something to do with it and magnified those issues, but I think in general there are bigger factors. Technical issues don't suddenly show up anyway. If you have good technique it will stay there.Ana went from winning RG, to losing to Zheng Jie in the span of 2 weeks. And then she kept losing and losing. Before that it was all up-up-and-up for Ana. It's quite clear that the mental aspect was the reason her game started failing. Those technical issues were there (and they're there for every player to some extent - case in point: Venus Williams) but no one has fallen like a rock like Ana. After winning RG, she relaxed, lost her momentum, lost her confidence, and could never recover it.

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Ana went from winning RG, to losing to Zheng Jie in the span of 2 weeks. It's quite clear that the mental aspect was the reason her game starting failing. Those technical issues were there (and they're there for every player to some extent - case in point: Venus Williams) but no one has fallen like a rock like Ana. After winning RG, she relaxed, lost her momentum, lost her confidence, and could never recover it.

That's a very bad example to prove your point. The same Zheng Jie who reached a Wimbledon semifinal and had a set point against Serena? Ana's worst surface is grass and it's where Jie's groundstrokes are most efficient, and the flatness and the speed of shots totally gets to Ana. So she's really a very bad matchup on a very bad surface. That loss is not that surprising despite the French title. As I said, the pressure might have started things off, but it doesn't make sense to say she became as bad because of "mental issues". Incidentally, it was her mental toughness that allowed her to save a match point and win the round before she lost to Zheng. There are bigger issues.

moby
May 27th, 2010, 08:31 PM
That's a very bad example to prove your point. The same Zheng Jie who reached a Wimbledon semifinal and had a set point against Serena? Ana's worst surface is grass and it's where Jie's groundstrokes are most efficient. That loss is not that surprising despite the French title. As I said, the pressure might have started things off, but it doesn't make sense to say she became as bad because of "mental issues".Zheng Jie played Ana (who she thrashed easily) and Vaidisova who was on her own downward slump (and reached the QF by beating another soon-to-be slumping player in Chakvetadze) to reach the Wimbledon semifinal. Zheng Jie in fact benefitted from the softer draw that comes with beating the (slumping) top seed, and used that to reach the semi. She did play a good second set against Serena, but the result of that match was never in doubt. Let's not forget that Ana saved a matchpoint with a lucky netcord winner against Dechy in the previous round.

I don't think it was pressure that started the downfall. It was more of a case of "oh, I've won a slam, I'm number 1, I've achieved everything I want, where do I go from here?"... and with that she started losing momentum, and then confidence, and then the panic started to set in.

And this point it's hard to pinpoint the problem - and it's a probably a combination of everything. She might go the way of Coria.

Dodoboy.
May 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM
'formaleducational'rena is GOAT!

Monzanator
May 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Jankovic should think of a trademark move of her own... :haha:

blueskye
May 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Jankovic should have shown better charchter, it doesnt matter if she feels annoyed - now she just comes of as bitter. By lashing out and makig this issue public she is taking it a bit far I think, especially since they both represent Serbia and will probably have to stand together at some point on common ground. There really wasent any need for that and obviously people are gonna make this into a paj throwing feast!

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
"oh, I've won a slam, I'm number 1, I've achieved everything I want, where do I go from here?"...What's your evidence for that other than her results started getting worse after winning the French? And who's to say they wouldn't have slumped had she lost in the FO final? Did she really lose motivation? Certainly the Ajde's and the fistpumps that everyone complain about don't seem to indicate that. I don't see this as a Mauresmo case. I mentioned "pressure and expectation" because she said it's part of it, so it's safe to take her word on how her mind acts over practically nothing. Before losing to Jie (which, again, I don't think it's surprising), she battled off two close rounds I believe from the brink of defeat - which is in some ways a testament to some mental toughness. My point is that in her case her technical issues (and the way her game is structured) are a lot more at core of her problems than mental toughness. She really reminds me of beginner/intermediate players but with just a lot more power. Her game is raw and never really matured. (I don't know how relevant is that, but I think she only started playing tennis at 9(!). Maybe they are somehow related. :P ) Let's not forget that she's always been inconsistent, and winning the FO doesn't change that. She used to go from winning tournaments to crashing in early rounds. It's just that the former has stopped now.

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
sour grapes ..Ana is slumping and has to blame someone

JJandAna4ever
May 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Lol @ whorevanovic's fans claiming that she was "pushed." She was asked ONE question about it. Any personal with decent intelligence (although that may not be true for her) can say that "It was another tournament, so I don't want to talk about it." No one forced her mouth open to answer that question. The reporter didn't even ask twice. Instead, whorevanovic's response was the equivalent of "I don't want to talk about it. BTW JJ has no character."

Gdsimmons
May 27th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Sisters no more

shap_half
May 27th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I need video of this imitating!!! Video I say!

terjw
May 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Lol @ whorevanovic's fans claiming that she was "pushed." She was asked ONE question about it. Any personal with decent intelligence (although that may not be true for her) can say that "It was another tournament, so I don't want to talk about it." No one forced her mouth open to answer that question. The reporter didn't even ask twice. Instead, whorevanovic's response was the equivalent of "I don't want to talk about it. BTW JJ has no character."

Exactly - just one question and she blabs "I don't want to talk about it. BTW JJ has no character".

olivero
May 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM
:rolls:

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Exactly - just one question and she blabs "I don't want to talk about it. BTW JJ has no character".

She said it's "hard to talk about it", not that she wouldn't. Stop quoting your false paraphrasing. At least that was smarter than JJ's supposed "wits" complaining about fist pumps that didn't even happen in their match.

lestat111
May 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
probably someone else told her :lol:

true.

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Ana makes one comment after multiple passive aggressive JJ taunts about Ana and JJ fans go all crying and whining :help:

I mean seriously even JJ's mother comments on Ana's love life :o

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Ana comes off as she always does. A boring character who acts nice but really is rather empty upstairs when it comes to self-assessment, or how her actions appear to others. She wasn't owned in the least. Ana comes off as an irrelevant dingbat :shrug: :wavey:

Of course Jelena was owned.

And Ana, boring?

At least she has class and dignity. Dare I say, something Jelena lacks.

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 10:10 PM

You seem offended, yet Jelena has done much worse.

I don't see you calling her out on her behaviour. Oh yeah, I forgot, she's your favourite. Talk about being biased. Thus your post means nothing.

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Actually, Ana was more tactful than that.

And again, Jelena has done much worse. Have you called her out on it too?

SOA_MC
May 27th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Yep. Sam Smith on EU would agree. Hadn't heard her say anything about fistpumps and concentrates on the tennis but when a male commentator a couple of months back said - noone really is bothered about Ana's fistpumps are they - she replied that most of the players find it extremely annoying. About the only thing she's ever said about it.

Yeah I want names give me names :devil: and interseting how one commentator says it doesn't meaning it may not be a universal locker room opinion as you think it is.

Article by Bruce Jenkins, from SI, here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_jenkins/05/18/nadal-federer/index.html

This guy has either never watched Nadal or is Nadal #1 Kad :lol:

lestat111
May 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
ana is always pretending to be "nice" girl :rolleyes: now, she s irrelevant and her fans blame jj for that :tape: gurl, go do another photoshoot and drink coffee with sofia arvidson :wavey:

ptitnavet
May 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
ana is always pretending to be "nice" girl :rolleyes: now, she s irrelevant and her fans blame jj for that :tape: gurl, go do another photoshoot and drink coffee with sofia arvidson :wavey:

So if Ana is not nice isJJ a nice girl ? :lol: no or few friends on the tour she said it herself ... maybe one or two! Score!

Ana is friendly with a lot of players on the tour and on the ATP tour including Federer, Ljubicic, her best friend Djokovic well if she was pretending to be nice she would not be so appreciated :wavey:

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I need video of this imitating!!! Video I say!its on youtube and its very funny:lol::tape:JJ got the fist pump right:tape:adje

lestat111
May 27th, 2010, 10:41 PM
So if Ana is not nice isJJ a nice girl ? :lol: no or few friends on the tour she said it herself ... maybe one or two! Score!

Ana is friendly with a lot of players on the tour and on the ATP tour including Federer, Ljubicic, her best friend Djokovic well if she was pretending to be nice she would not be so appreciated :wavey:

they dont need to be friends on tour. and being friendly with federer is helping her in what way? not in terms of her game obviously :rolleyes:

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Oops.. wrong thread.

azdaja
May 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM
:spit:

it was a nice "dignified" mocking of ana after a match where ana had tried to do as few fistpumps as possible that kickstarted all this. not that a jj fan would ever understand what dignity means, but, you know, sometimes it can be just utterly ridiculous.

meanwhile, i'm pretty sure jj lost quite a few supporters and didn't win many by what she did. so, whatever.

ptitnavet
May 27th, 2010, 10:46 PM
they dont need to be friends on tour. and being friendly with federer is helping her in what way? not in terms of her game obviously :rolleyes:

What the link between her game and being nice :confused:

lestat111
May 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
What the link between her game and being nice :confused:

well, her game sucks. so, her fans put her in focus for being "classy, nice" or whatever. get it?

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM
meanwhile, i'm pretty sure jj lost quite a few supporters and didn't win many by what she did. so, whatever.

I really had nothing against her and I didn't particularly like either of them but the whole Fed Cup comments and the other stuff she pulled out do point her out as a bitter person, trying to kick Ana while she's down. And I think this is confirmed by her nagging on the non-existent fist pumps.

woosey
May 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM

EXACTLY!

FANNED.

mapaliey
May 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
licky..licky..yum...yum..hem..delicious....

pokey camp
May 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I disagree about the serve. It was always inconsistent and the tendency for the ball toss to go right was always there. Her whole game always had a raw quality to it, and she was inconsistent from the start of her career. What saved her is the amount of power she was generating, despite the suspect (and inconsistent) strokes. These issues magnified with time. Her forehand is probably the more puzzling aspect, but the serve and backhand were suspect from the start. Pressure certainly had something to do with it and magnified those issues, but I think in general there are bigger factors. Technical issues don't suddenly show up anyway. If you have good technique it will stay there.Fair enough. But there was a raw quality, if you will, about a lot of former champions early in their careers. Few have perfect technique. It's funny how flawed technique gets labeled as "unconventional" when a player is successful. Good technique or not, I’ve never seen a former No.1/ GS champion break down this completely and slump for this long. This is historic.

I guess that’s why I find Ana so fascinating. It’s the age old chicken/ egg sports discussion. The role of physical vs. mental in professional sports. Is good technique unshakeable? I don’t think so. I believe almost any physical act can be warped by negative input from the mind. In sports: Especially the solitary acts, serves, ball tosses, free throws, etc.

Most of the time I’m in your camp: Poor technique eventually gets exposed which leads to mental hangups which leads to slump. But this… I think it's rooted in mental issues. I never saw Ana’s serve as deeply flawed. An occasional wayward ball toss? Sure. No one tosses it perfectly every time. Not even Serena and her toss is impeccable. I didn't notice Ana's being that problematic pre 2008 with the exception of the 2007 final. But in fairness probably I wasn't watching closely enough. :shrug: I viewed her serve as strength at the time and moved on. The BH… always a problem, still a problem. The FH? Yes, that’s a genuine puzzle. I’ve tried to get Ana fans to pinpoint exactly when or why her technique on that side went haywire. The closest I’ve come is the thumb injury in the summer of 2008. Can’t imagine that would have such lasting effects without there also being a significant mental component though. (If the FH comes all the way back that would underscore your point about good technique lasting. It's looking better lately.)

So pre-slump I didn't view her as anymore technically flawed than a lot of other players in the top 20. The mind is affecting the body more than the body is affecting the mind imo. Honestly, I'll probably always believe there is a profound mental fragility there (see all the examples I gave earlier) and that's why this slump has lasted this long.

Apoleb
May 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Fair enough. But there was a raw quality, if you will, about a lot of former champions early in their careers. Few have perfect technique. It's funny how flawed technique gets labeled as "unconventional" when a player is successful. Good technique or not, I’ve never seen a former No.1/ GS champion break down this completely and slump for this long. This is historic.

I guess that’s why I find Ana so fascinating. It’s the age old chicken/ egg sports discussion. The role of physical vs. mental in professional sports. Is good technique unshakeable? I don’t think so. I believe almost any physical act can be warped by negative input from the mind. In sports: Especially the solitary acts, serves, ball tosses, free throws, etc.

Most of the time I’m in your camp: Poor technique eventually gets exposed which leads to mental hangups which leads to slump. But this… I think it's rooted in mental issues. I never saw Ana’s serve as deeply flawed. An occasional wayward ball toss? Sure. No one tosses it perfectly every time. Not even Serena and her toss is impeccable. I didn't notice Ana's being that problematic pre 2008 with the exception of the 2007 final. But in fairness probably I wasn't watching closely enough. :shrug: I viewed her serve as strength at the time and moved on. The BH… always a problem, still a problem. The FH? Yes, that’s a genuine puzzle. I’ve tried to get Ana fans to pinpoint exactly when or why her technique on that side went haywire. The closest I’ve come is the thumb injury in the summer of 2008. Can’t imagine that would have such lasting effects without there also being a significant mental component though. (If the FH comes all the way back that would underscore your point about good technique lasting. It's looking better lately.)

So pre-slump I didn't view her as anymore technically flawed than a lot of other players in the top 20. The mind is affecting the body more than the body is affecting the mind imo. Honestly, I'll probably always believe there is a profound mental fragility there (see all the examples I gave earlier) and that's why this slump has lasted this long.

I get your point of view, and it's a tough issue to reach a solid conclusion at from what we are given. We don't really know what's going in her head, how her practice is going...etc. I would still preferably stick to my reading though, largely because of how inconsistent she's always been and how immature her kind of game is, even relative to previous young champions. Also, her game looks quite different now. I still disagree about the serve and I don't think you've seen enough of it. I'm pretty sure the FO final was not the only occasion it went wayward, and the ball toss going to the right was a pretty frequent occurrence. It was a strength a lot of times, but it could devolve into mediocrity. If it was always a strength I think she would have achieved A LOT more in her early career, and there was a period where she was quite stagnant while showing flashes of brilliance before her first FO final. Mental toughness has a lot to do with how one manages his/her game and surely pressure, expectations or something else were part of what triggered her downfall, but some people in this thread were getting at the conclusion that she has "no character" or even less character than JJ (not you) because of what happened to her, even though she actually showed lots of toughness in her matches before, and this ignores the complexities in her game.

дalex
May 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
it was a nice "dignified" mocking of ana ...

Glad you finally came to your senses.

http://i41.tinypic.com/27x3wue.jpg

Martian KC
May 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Jelena :banana: :fistpump:

azdaja
May 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I really had nothing against her and I didn't particularly like either of them but the whole Fed Cup comments and the other stuff she pulled out do point her out as a bitter person, trying to kick Ana while she's down. And I think this is confirmed by her nagging on the non-existent fist pumps.
i wouldn't want to touch the kicking while down argument because i like ana and i could come accross as a bitter ana fan, but that's true as well.

amd i'm not gonna argue about fistpumps with anyone. i only know it annoys some people because i post on this board. otherwise i fully expect people to celebrate when they are winning, it's normal.

Glad you finally came to your senses.

http://i41.tinypic.com/27x3wue.jpg
what does that mean? :confused: i still think that jj is a classless bitch, nothing has changed for me. she has no idea what dignity means and neither do you :shrug: and i am not even being hostile to you as a person.

mykarma
May 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
omg i love how bitchy the tour is right now :sobbing: :drool:

i want MOARRRRRRR of these stuffs but Ana should have just http://i40.tinypic.com/juxy5f.jpg
:lol:

why did you post it here? this interview is so delusional it will attract more hate on her:o

however it's clear she meant "fistpumps show my character on court", so it wasn't a blow at JJ, she was basically defending herself.
I like Ana and can't stand JJ but I didn't get that from Ana's comments at all.

InsideOut.
May 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Ana :worship: Great quote! :hearts:

If that's the best JJ could come back with :rolls: It's obviously Ivanovic 1 - Jankovic 0. Bring it on :devil:

ivanban
May 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Ana :worship: Great quote! :hearts:

If that's the best JJ could come back with :rolls: It's obviously Ivanovic 1 - Jankovic 0. Bring it on :devil:

Ana obviously had prepared answer and she exactly knew they were gonna ask THE question :rolleyes: No one who don't speak english as first language would answer right away "sports don't build character, it shows it"

Not sure about that score you suggested either :shrug: For you when Ana is bitching it's class, and when JJ is bitching it's... bitching :rolleyes:

дalex
May 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
what does that mean? :confused:

It's a joke, it's for fun. :D

ptkten
May 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Jankovic fans have got to be the most irritating fanbase on this board. All Jelena and her mother have done is bitch about Ana, and mock her for the last couple of years and then Ana says one thing in response and Jelena fans go crazy.

That's fine if you like Jelena because she acts like a diva or whatever, but don't get up in arms because someone finally calls her out on it.

wolfmne
May 28th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Ana was all...

Q. This is going back a little bit, but you lost to Jelena in Madrid. I was wondering when you heard about that fist pump imitation she did after the match and just what your reaction was.
ANA IVANOVIC: You know, it's very, very hard for me to comment on that, you know. You know how they say: Sport doesn't build character. It shows it.

Yeah, it's very hard for me to say.

---

And then JJ was all...

Q. So apparently Ana was talking about what happened in Madrid after the match with you and the fist pump. You want to talk about, you know, your version of that? I know it was a big win for you, but why you decided...

JELENA JANKOVIC: What was her version?

Q. Well, she basically said that, you know, sports reveals character. That's what she was saying.

JELENA JANKOVIC: For me, you know, I don't need really to comment on that, you know. I don't think it's a right time to comment on this kind of thing.

But for me, as a player, it's ‑‑ every player has their way of, you know, motivating themselves and pumping themselves up, you know, if you win a point or you didn't win a point. But I don't think it's nice to put it, you know, the fist in their face. That's what can be a little irritating. That's the only ‑‑ but all the players, they do, you know, different kind of gestures, you know, with their hands.

But, you know, it's a little bit ‑‑ when you do that in the player's face, and especially after not winning a point after your opponent missed an easy ball, I don't think it's ‑‑ I don't think that's fair play.

That's just my opinion, and that's what I, as a player, don't like to do to other players. If I'm ‑‑ if I win a point or something, I do it, but I don't go like that in your face (holds up fist). That was only ‑‑ and especially when it comes to maybe me and Ana, we are two girls from the same country, and it's nice to have a nice relationship and play a normal match. Somebody has to win, and that's normal.

We're both professionals. We want to do our best on the court, and I think we should play fair. That's just my opinion. I have nothing, you know, against her or fist pumps or whatever. I play my game. I have my personality. I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court. But for me, I prefer to this kind of way like I already explained.

---

lestat111
May 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
jelena and ana as boys (serbian brothers) :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu5_wVUi__4&feature=player_embedded

toxina90
May 28th, 2010, 12:45 AM

:rolleyes: :spit:

Exactly, only recently it seems that things are actually being said.

Oh Ana, I really did like you once upon a time. But your evolution into a maniacal fist pumping, unending stream of adje exhorting, shoe squeeking <on hard courts>, panic attack induced medical timeout when your opponent is serving for the match taking, twirling monster...... has left me somewhat cold. I would take the piss and mock you if I was your opponent! :lol::lol:

Sums up why I dislike her, despite liking her originally. Jelena is just getting heat because she seems to be one of the first to have made public display of the annoying, unneccessary behaviour :shrug:

Lots of players can win without the constant fistpumping. I just hope Ana does actually realise how offputting it could be to her opponents.

I like Ana and can't stand JJ but I didn't get that from Ana's comments at all.

:lol: I'd noticed.

Surely if you have an open mind you can see both interpretations possible from the statement? :weirdo:

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 12:49 AM
:rolleyes: :spit:

Non-existent in their Madrid match. :rolleyes: Ana did a concerted effort so that JJ doesn't take any offense, yet here she is making a big deal about it calling it "unfair play". Just admit it: she's still having nightmares about that RG semi and is taking her opportunities to show her bitterness and disdain now that Ana is crap. This is more excusable than the ridiculous Fed Cup attack though.

VishaalMaria
May 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Non-existent in their Madrid match. :rolleyes: Ana did a concerted effort so that JJ doesn't take any offense, yet here she is making a big deal about it calling it "unfair play". Just admit it: she's still having nightmares about that RG semi and is taking her opportunities to show her bitterness and disdain now that Ana is crap. This is more excusable than the ridiculous Fed Cup attack though.

:worship::worship::worship:

The one time she was pretty much guaranteed to have won a slam if only she'd have put Ana away! There's always going to be underlying bitterness there from Jelena and her fans coated in other issues.

Lord Choc Ice
May 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Ana. :drool:

JJ mocked Ana's fistpumps in Madrid in a match where she was barely even fistpumping, she wasn't "calling out" Ana's behaviour in that match, she was just being a total bitch.

young_gunner913
May 28th, 2010, 01:06 AM
LMAO. Totally looking foward to JJ's response.

And Ana shouldn't talk at all about character. She's got the personality of a fruit fly.

VishaalMaria
May 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
LMAO. Totally looking foward to JJ's response.

And Ana shouldn't talk at all about character. She's got the personality of a fruit fly.

Jelena's already responded.

Alizé Molik
May 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
lol the girls have to be careful, because this is the second time now the media has hounded one person into saying something that they didnt want to say, and then run off to the other person and said "zOmG!!!11 you'll never guess what _____ said about you!!!" like 12 year old girls.

Steffica Greles
May 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Only binge eating builds 'character' in women's tennis these days. Sweets, crisps, chocolate, milk shakes, ice cream, chips...

Cakeisgood
May 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Only binge eating builds 'character' in women's tennis these days. Sweets, crisps, chocolate, milk shakes, ice cream, chips...

We get it. You disapprove of fat tennis players. Move on.

DOUBLEFIST
May 28th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Every post? Seriously, EV-ER-Y POST? :weirdo:

Let it go. We know how you feel already.

moby
May 28th, 2010, 03:40 AM
What's your evidence for that other than her results started getting worse after winning the French? And who's to say they wouldn't have slumped had she lost in the FO final? Did she really lose motivation? Certainly the Ajde's and the fistpumps that everyone complain about don't seem to indicate that. I don't see this as a Mauresmo case. I mentioned "pressure and expectation" because she said it's part of it, so it's safe to take her word on how her mind acts over practically nothing.It's speculation on my part. It just felt like she didn't want it as badly any more and she knew that the slam win and the 10 million bonus from Yonex was always going to be there. That was the time when she had some off-court distractions too, and she didn't curtail them to focus on her tennis game.

Her game is raw and never really matured. (I don't know how relevant is that, but I think she only started playing tennis at 9(!). Maybe they are somehow related. :P )No, because JJ was the one who started playing tennis at 9 or 10. Ana started playing at 5 or 6 (so this makes JJ younger in tennis years, in fact.) But it could be because Ana practised in swimming pools when she was younger!

some people in this thread were getting at the conclusion that she has "no character" or even less character than JJ (not you) because of what happened to her, even though she actually showed lots of toughness in her matches before, and this ignores the complexities in her game.I don't think too much in this mud-slinging thread should be taken too seriously. :p It doesn't really make sense for Ana to cast doubt on JJ's character based on that hilarious throwaway imitation she did, but that didn't stop some people from lauding Ana either.

Non-existent in their Madrid match. :rolleyes: Ana did a concerted effort so that JJ doesn't take any offense, yet here she is making a big deal about it calling it "unfair play". Just admit it: she's still having nightmares about that RG semi and is taking her opportunities to show her bitterness and disdain now that Ana is crap. This is more excusable than the ridiculous Fed Cup attack though.There's no evidence for that either. Maybe JJ is upset by some other thing Ana did. :shrug:

Mightymirza
May 28th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Well said ;) Jeca was asking for it :lol:

Daniel K
May 28th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Lol pressed much? :help:

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 04:21 AM
It doesn't really make sense for Ana to cast doubt on JJ's character based on that hilarious throwaway imitation she did, but that didn't stop some people from lauding Ana either.

It makes even more sense now that Jelena is saying she did it because it's unfair play (in a match where Ana was holding back) :lol:. Most of us saw it for what it is (including an SI writer who was actually defending her): a ridiculing gesture in public that is funny but clearly meant for ridicule (and the two are obviously not mutually exclusive). I think you want to believe that it has no "negative" feelings about it and she was just doing because she's like empty-headed and trying to have fun or something; probably there's no sense trying to convince you about that.

There's no evidence for that either. Maybe JJ is upset by some other thing Ana did. :shrug:There's plenty of evidence that she's holding a grudge towards her. Either because she did something really bad towards the Jankovic's or simply disdain. Given what we know, the second makes more sense. Unless something shows up, I would say that's a fair assessment. Either way, the Fed Cup drama explains everything. As I said, perfect case of "kicking while you're down".

I don't think too much in this mud-slinging thread should be taken too seriously.Oooh, right. I'm sure you weren't making any point with that youtube video either.

moby
May 28th, 2010, 04:46 AM
It makes even more sense now that Jelena is saying she did it because it's unfair play (in a match where Ana was holding back) :lol:. Most of us saw it for what it is (including an SI writer who was actually defending her): a ridiculing gesture in public that is funny but clearly meant for ridicule (and the two are obviously not mutually exclusive). I think you want to believe that it has no "negative" feelings about it and she was just doing because she's like empty-headed and trying to have fun or something; probably there's no sense trying to convince you about that.It was funny because it was ridicule, and of course it was because there were negative feelings about some aspects of Ana - in this case, her fistpumping. But I don't think "ridicule" has to be this godforbidden horrible thing that some people are making it out to be - I've been ridiculed by friends and ridiculed them before and it was ultimately in good fun, so... (of course, it has to sting a little in the mean time) The fact that Ana and JJ are not friends changes the complexion of the ridicule, but really, it's not like it's anything serious, especially since it was such a mild offhand imitation. Djokovic (and several others) mocks other players as part of their comic routine all the time.

I mean, there are two different camps on this issue and I think they're fairly evenly split. It comes down to one's aesthetics of life. My friends think that it's hilarious and awesome from JJ - not quite on the level of "Rome and Madrid", but nowhere as cruel either.

Oooh, right. I'm sure you weren't making any point with that youtube video either.I was. But I didn't think it should be taken seriously. Did you? Like I said, it's boring when Rezai-Bartoli (or Rezai-everyone, thanks Dave.) is the biggest spat, so we've to make something happen in this one. :lol:

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM
It was funny because it was ridicule, and of course it was because there were negative feelings about some aspects of Ana - in this case, her fistpumping. But I don't think "ridicule" has to be this godforbidden horrible thing that some people are making it out to be - I've been ridiculed by friends and ridiculed them before and it was ultimately in good fun, so... (of course, it has to sting a little in the mean time) The fact that Ana and JJ are not friends changes the complexion of the ridicule, but really, it's not like it's anything serious, especially since it was such a mild imitation. Djokovic (and several others) mocks other players as part of their comic routine all the time.

I'm not trying anymore. :p I don't think you're putting things in their proper context, like mentioning your friends(which you answered yourself), and then Djokovic's imitations. Look, even the SI commentator who defended it called it bitter.

I was. But I didn't think it should be taken seriously. Did you? Like I said, it's boring when Rezai-Bartoli (or Rezai-everyone, thanks Dave.) is the biggest spat, so we've to make something happen in this one. :lol:Yeah, sometimes I make points and don't take them seriously, but it's still a point, so I expect people to respond, unless it's a joke. I guess if you're telling us to ignore your two posts including the searched youtube video you posted, we will.

friendsita
May 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
mehhh

Patrick345
May 28th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Who is this Ana Ivanovic? Can´t we talk about players that are still relevant on clay like Akgul Amanmadurova, Chanelle Scheepers, Jarmila Groth, Rodionova I don´t even know her first name, and Caroline Wozniacki. Please if you need attention, Mrs. Ivanovic, get naked in a swimming pool. :p

moby
May 28th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I'm not trying anymore. :p I don't think you're putting things in their proper context, like mentioning your friends(which you answered yourself), and then Djokovic's imitations. Look, even the SI commentator who defended it called it bitter.No, I think that is precisely the proper context. JJ took about 5 seconds to come up with that gesture, and it's garnering pages of analysis. :lol: As for the SI commentator, well whoever that is, and he's just a human being like the rest of us, and I'm sure he has his own interpretation, so I don't know why his analysis should be regarded as some kind of standard for those defending JJ. Bitter or not, it doesn't change much because I don't think that level of malice was intended.

Yeah, sometimes I make points and don't take them seriously, but it's still a point, so I expect people to respond, unless it's a joke. I guess if you're telling us to ignore your two posts including the searched youtube video you posted, we will.People will do what they want. :angel: I would never tell anyone to ignore my posts or to pay attention to them.

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I would never tell anyone to ignore my posts or to pay attention to them.

Sure, but you already did. Because "I don't think too much in this mud-slinging thread should be taken too seriously" and " I was. But I didn't think it should be taken seriously" is not telling us how one should approach your posts. :lol: Fun stuff.

thegreendestiny
May 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Well, Ana's words could be applied to herself as well. Remember when she cheated her SF to get to a GS final not so long ago? :o

Well, eventually got pawned thank goodness.

moby
May 28th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Sure, but you already did. Because "I don't think too much in this mud-slinging thread should be taken too seriously" and " I was. But I didn't think it should be taken seriously" is not telling us how one should approach your posts. :lol: Fun stuff.We're getting into semantics and that never ends well. :lol: Because I'd argue that a gentle opinion that something should not be taken seriously is just that - no more, no less. It's different from "telling people to ignore your posts"... unless you are making the implicit assumption that something that should not be taken too seriously must necessarily be ignored. Which I am not.

Apoleb
May 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
We're getting into semantics and that never ends well. :lol: Because I'd argue that a gentle opinion that something should not be taken seriously is just that - no more, no less. It's different from "telling people to ignore your posts".

It's not semantics at all. But anyway, yeah, maybe that post "should not be taken seriously" either, so I may be wasting my time engaging in a discussion.

freeandlonely
May 28th, 2010, 06:09 AM

bobbynorwich
May 28th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Let's face it ... horsey-faced Jelena is simply jealous of drop-dead gorgeous Ana. This has nothing to do with tennis. :eek:

spiritedenergy
May 28th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Is this thread still open?:yawn:

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Is this thread still open?:yawn:

why would it be closed? it hasnt turned ugly.... Just because it paints Ana in a bad light.... Only threads that paint Justine in a bad light get closed.

spiritedenergy
May 28th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Let's face it ... horsey-faced Jelena is simply jealous of drop-dead gorgeous Ana. This has nothing to do with tennis. :eek:

honestly, i'm beginning to think the same, in the sense that she might be jealous of ana's looks. Otherwise i don't get hers and her mom's obsession with ana, they hate her still they want her to "have a good relationship" and to "attend and cheer the fed cup even if she's not playing" (WTF:spit:).
i hope they'll sort their issues out and let ana live her life:o

Curtos07
May 28th, 2010, 06:17 AM
why would it be closed? it hasnt turned ugly.... Just because it paints Ana in a bad light.... Only threads that paint Justine in a bad light get closed.

How does this paint Ana in a bad light? :shrug: I'm totally confused. Only people doing that are the haters.

Tennis90
May 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Finally! :D Nicely said Ana!It was time you showed some love for JJ too,now that obsessed girl is probably happy you've noticed her :D

osseous
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Oh Ana! You should have just stayed quiet.

+1 :tape:

Noctis
May 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Jelena will reply ' I am Serbian Cant I fist pump nd yell Adje, How am copying her, The tour does it all the time'

Jajaloo
May 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
And another tennis rivalry is born. I would be annoyed too if someone made fun of me so publicly. However, it's easy to understand why any player would be annoyed. A fist pump right in your face after another player missed a shot they usually make is not nice.

JJ was saying "Ajde" after Kanepi hit some errors into the net in the first set. She might have just been "Ajde"ing her forehands and pressure.

Probably already posted, but JJ had this to say.

Q. Well, she basically said that, you know, sports reveals character. That's what she was saying.

We're both professionals. We want to do our best on the court, and I think we should play fair. That's just my opinion. I have nothing, you know, against her or fist pumps or whatever. I play my game. I have my personality. I'm myself, and it's none of my business what Ana does or all these other girls on the court. But for me, I prefer to this kind of way like I already explained.

hdfb
May 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hollywood should seriously consider a Mean Girls -WTA Edition-

Fantasy Hero
May 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
:worship:

ptitnavet
May 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
well, her game sucks. so, her fans put her in focus for being "classy, nice" or whatever. get it?

No because it's not an excuse it's a FACT

And another tennis rivalry is born. I would be annoyed too if someone made fun of me so publicly. However, it's easy to understand why any player would be annoyed. A fist pump right in your face after another player missed a shot they usually make is not nice.

JJ was saying "Ajde" after Kanepi hit some errors into the net in the first set. She might have just been "Ajde"ing her forehands and pressure.

I get your point but IMO I think she is just encouraging herself and not attacking vocally her opponent ;) so that's not being unfair played IMO

brickhousesupporter
May 28th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Correction........Only threads that paint Justine in a bad light get deleted.

Polikarpov
May 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Obviously, she didn't want to comment.

Destiny
May 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
i RESPECT ana more now coz of that comment hahahah funny :lol:

LCS
May 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM

:spit: How unbalanced are you?

lestat111
May 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
ivanovic is traying too hard to stay relevant :yawn: poor brat...

Tennisstar86
May 28th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Correction........Only threads that paint Justine in a bad light get deleted.

lol, this is true....

-NAJ-
May 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
lol, this is true....

maybe her fans are mods:cool:

Double Fault
May 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
These 2 are the ugly and the dumb!

So are you!

matty
May 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Kinda bitchy from JJ--what had Ana ever said about her in public that was out of line?

treufreund
May 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
classy response from JJ... I like the way JJ is not being lured into comments about Ana, Justine, Serena, etc. She is taking care of her business. :hearts::hearts:

Joe.
May 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Dangg 2010 is the year of bitchiness. :drool: :hearts:

ivanban
May 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I get your point but IMO I think she is just encouraging herself and not attacking vocally her opponent ;) so that's not being unfair played IMO

So you would feel fine if someone would FISTPUMP in your face constantly throughout whole match, even on your silly UEs?! :scratch:

Roookie
May 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This has to be the smartest thing to ever come out of Ana's mouth :eek:

ptitnavet
May 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
So you would feel fine if someone would FISTPUMP in your face constantly throughout whole match, even on your silly UEs?! :scratch:

No, not all. Maybe not on "silly" UEs but on forced errors and UEs on important points.
When you are on a court it 's to win. And an opponent would fistpump "in my face" is not towards me it's to encouraging himself/herself. So I will not be bothered. But it's my opinion like I said, I totally get some people don't get it.