PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros - the worst Grand Slam tournament :?

AnywhereButHome
May 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM
1. It rains every year.
2. Rude crowd.
3. Bad organisation. Bad scheduling.
4. No artificial light.
5. No Roof.

Do you think this makes it the worst Grand Slam tournament :?

timafi
May 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
shut the hell up:rolleyes:

it rains at Wimbledon too;Nadal's match went over 3 days in 2006

they didn't have a roof til last year

the crowd in boring there

matches are longer on clay therefore they have to schedule the men first

Federer and Nadal played in the damn dark in that 2009 finals at Wimbledon

AnywhereButHome
May 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
shut the hell up:rolleyes:

it rains at Wimbledon too;Nadal's match went over 3 days in 2006

they didn't have a roof til last year

the crowd in boring there

matches are longer on clay therefore they have to schedule the men first

Federer and Nadal played in the damn dark in that 2009 finals at Wimbledon

Now, there is roof at Wimbledon and they have lights on the center court..... I can see that at Roland Garros....I remmeber 2007 when they played like 3 matches during the first two days at Roland Garros :) And all this is very frustrating for us the people who like tennis and for the players :)

timafi
May 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Now, there is roof at Wimbledon and they have lights on the center court..... I can see that at Roland Garros....I remmeber 2007 when they played like 3 matches during the first two days at Roland Garros :) And all this is very frustrating for us the people who like tennis and for the players :)

you need to understand English better my friend.I said Wimbledon didn't have a roof until last year.You seem slow:weirdo::weirdo:

when there is good weather and I mean dry and sunny;matches can be fast but a day like yesterday when the courts are slow and the balls are heavy and you got rain;of course other matches will be cancelled

you know what?:confused: just don't watch RG ok?:rolleyes::o

volta
May 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
" of course you hate it your a Williams fan :haha: "

now that we covered that up Yes , it's my least fav slam by MILES

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
1. It rains every year.
2. Rude crowd.
4. No artificial light.
5. No Roof.

Yep.

Polikarpov
May 27th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yes in terms of organization. But I still like it better than the US Open.

Jajaloo
May 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
In terms of infrastructure, it's behind the other 3 slams definitely. The lack of hawk eye, lights, or a roof sets it apart. Once Melbourne Park gets it's upgrade, it will eclipse RG even more.

Personally though, I really enjoy when RG is on. I find Wimbledon to be terribly boring. It's too plain and boring.

Cp6uja
May 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Roland Garros - the worst Grand Slam tournament :?
williams_fan

I never seen before on this forum such perfect combination and correlation between THREAD TITLE and USERNAME of thread starter :eek:

Daniel K
May 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Definitely. Fuck this. See you for Wimbledon

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/70_254/123_121/janetidol01.gif

Kworb
May 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
It is the cheapest for sure. But it's very charming.

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 11:49 AM
1. Wimbledon
2. Roland Garros
3. USO/AO

You can complain all you want but until Wimby got a roof, it had way more problems than Roland Garros yet no one called it the worst slam.

Polikarpov
May 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I love Roland Garros because when the matches gets good, they're really good. Plus all the unnecessary, but exciting drama involved!

nevetssllim
May 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
All tournaments have their baggage. Australian Open and French Open are renowned for questionable crowds, Wimbledon due to the weather and dumb-ass ticket system, US Open due to stupid scheduling etc...

JUSTICE4ALL
May 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I love French culture in general, but gosh I just hate the FRENCH OPEN! The French & Australian are the worst and beyond boring! Oz Open > French for sure! I love the French Crowds though, remind me of myself LOL :-)

tenn_ace
May 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
US Open is bottom of the pile for me.

tim2502
May 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yes

Olórin
May 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Definitely the worst now Wimbledon has a roof. In terms of organisation it is also bottom of the pile one step below the USO.

The "RG Parisian charm" can only make up for so many fundamental failings :fiery:

tennis-insomniac
May 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
i just like tennis so it doesn't matter...

Nikkiri
May 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
No. RG is my fave. :)

Iceland
May 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
What a question seriously... Grand Slam tournaments are all great in their own terms.
Roland-Garros has some magic you will not find elsewhere. The venue is just too beautiful, in the center of Paris and in a wooden area. You can't find any better clay in the world. Obviously as regards facilities, it is behind the three other Slams. But I don't think it makes it the 'worst' (I don't like the way the question is asked) Slam. Grand Slams are more than tennis to me. This is why for me Wimbledon & Roland-Garros will always be above. It's a matter of cultures I think. Surely Americans have other standards.

ED fan forever
May 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
It seems that the organisation isn't maybe up to scratch but I don't think its the worst GS though by any means.
That said, the crowd are ridiculous, they are booing whenever anyone questions a line call and are quite hostile towards a number of the players. At the Paris Indoors tournament the fans don't behave this way. So I don't know why its happening here:rolleyes:

Malva
May 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I like every single one of them. Each one is a Grand Slam after all.

Sergius
May 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
In terms of infrastructure, it's behind the other 3 slams definitely. The lack of hawk eye, lights, or a roof sets it apart. Once Melbourne Park gets it's upgrade, it will eclipse RG even more.

Personally though, I really enjoy when RG is on. I find Wimbledon to be terribly boring. It's too plain and boring.
:confused:
What's wrong with that? I mean, every tournament which is held on dirt has no hawk eye

Ilikebigboobies
May 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
In all honestly, I think the general consensus of players is this one is the least special of the four to win. I think that is the answer. :shrug:

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 12:49 PM
In all honestly, I think the general consensus of players is this one is the least special of the four to win. I think that is the answer. :shrug:

:spit: where'd you get that BS

DavidArchuleta
May 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I dont think so ,the worst is US open

claypova
May 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
yes.

roland garros isnt bad, but the other gand slams are just better

AO>Wimby>US>RG

tennis-insomniac
May 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
:lol:i think people are pissing off with the rain delay :lol:

TennisFan66
May 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
1. It rains every year.
2. Rude crowd.
4. No artificial light.
5. No Roof.

No. For me, its USO>RG>SW19>AO

Dani12
May 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
In need of a renovation? yes. Worst grand slam? silly question caused by frustration over the need for a renovation.

Aaric
May 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Bad scheduling??? :confused:

Danii's Law
May 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
In my opinion Roland Garros is one of, if not, the best.
US Open is the worst by far. It doesn't even feel like a Grand Slam. No advantage 3rd or 5th set. They play music at the change over. Its a joke. It doesn't have the same air of class as the others. Having said that I still would go to and and always watch it.
It goes Wimbledon, Roland Garros, Australian Open then US Open.
But I think Roland Garros is the most entertaining.

VishaalMaria
May 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I love the French Open because as classless as the crowd can get, it makes the matches entertaining.

Jajaloo
May 27th, 2010, 01:26 PM
In need of a renovation? yes. Worst grand slam? silly question caused by frustration over the need for a renovation.

It is the cheapest for sure. But it's very charming.

Agreed on both counts. Rain happens. But there are improvements that could be made to the infrastructure and services that would bring it in par with the other GS'.

:confused:
What's wrong with that? I mean, every tournament which is held on dirt has no hawk eye

I think all tournaments on red, green or blue dirt should have hawkeye. And give the player EITHER the choice of having the umpire look at the mark, OR use hawkeye. But that's just me.

I would really like to see the proposed "new Centre Court" go ahead. It was proposed back in 2009, but I have heard no word on it. I really like the design. Pictures if you haven't seen them:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1516/image20090514446503625x.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5954/image20090514446595625x.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5858/image20090514446551625x.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4820/image20090514446549625x.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/5959/image20090514446547625x.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/104/image20090514446545625x.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8718/image1dc.jpg

nfl46
May 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
RG is horrible compared to the other slams. They really need to move it to a different area and update the outdated (compared to other slams) venues or just stop RG all together. They are so behind the curve compared to the other 3 major GS. Plus, the organization and crowd are horrible! And the matches always suck.

Dave.
May 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
1. It rains every year.
2. Rude crowd.
4. No artificial light.
5. No Roof.

Yes, which probably makes it the toughest to win, in addition to the fact it's on clay.

For those reasons above RG is the worst organised slam. Plus, of all the slams it has the least access to outside courts and the least coverage of doubles matches. Still, it has it's unique charms like all the slams and of course I wouldn't miss it for anything.

¤CharlDa¤
May 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
As an American TV watcher, I can understand it being the worst.

On the other hand, I've been here this year in Paris all week for RG, and I think that it's my favorite slam venue out of the three I went (US and Wimby). There is sthing quite magical and calmer and green about the venue. Less hectic and huge than the US, but less snobby than Wimby.

Dave.
May 27th, 2010, 01:32 PM
RG is horrible compared to the other slams. They really need to move it to a different area and update the outdated (compared to other slams) venues or just stop RG all together. They are so behind the curve compared to the other 3 major GS. Plus, the organization and crowd are horrible! And the matches always suck.

That's a bit extreme. It's easy to forget that Wimbledon only just got their roof last year. Before then they were just as much "behind the times" as RG, if not more so, and I don't think anyone was suggesting stopping Wimbledon.

I also want to say that I'm not a fan of indoor clay anyway (or indoor grass for that matter). It's a natural surface and IMO should always be outdoors for maximum effect.

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Roland Garros just never goes right. :sad:

nfl46
May 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Of course no one will suggest stopping Wimbledon. Its the most prestigious Gram Slam. Just like the Masters (golf). With or without rain, RG is bad.

The Kaz
May 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Of course no one will suggest stopping Wimbledon. Its the most prestigious Gram Slam. Just like the Masters (golf). With or without rain, RG is bad.

I thought the US Open was the most prestigious major in golf :confused:

A Magicman
May 27th, 2010, 02:22 PM
This is my very favorite Slam. Wimbledon might be more prestigious, but the French Open are the highlight of my tennis season.

Maybe cos clay is my own "home" surface.

Keegan
May 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I hate clay tournaments, I find the early rounds incredibly boring and I hate slow play, however the crowd add drama and excitement, the line arguments add drama and excitement and the fact that it lacks technology kind of makes me feel like I'm back in the early days of the tournament. It's quite exciting I think.

It pisses me off about the rain though, and the scheduling. They have ridiculous center court matches when big stars are on smaller courts.

Kitten63
May 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
It's my favourite slam, then Wimbledon,AO and USO.

Matt01
May 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM

With rain or without rain (preferably without rain), RG is just fine.

Zeus.
May 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM
RG is a nice tournament, because it's completely different. The tournament does need a roof like all others, though I read it should have been finished by 2012, if the Parisian government had allowed and gave the needed building approval's back in 2008.

I've also read somewhere that Versailles isn't too keen about it moving there either to protect the integrity and view of the Versailles palace :lol:

As for the rain, guys, humanity does not control the weather yet, so it can pretty much show up anytime and be a bitch at my fave slam the USOPEN :) So that point does not make RG a worse tournament than any other.

kiwifan
May 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Compared to the other Slams
worst surface? yes.
most generally boring play? yes.
least interesting players playing the second week? yes.
But it is still a slam so once the final comes around, I still care deeply about the results. :shrug:

Gdsimmons
May 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
In terms of its organization yes. I mean everyone has an opinion on it. It is my least favorite slam.

chloe-l
May 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Same here. :)

JustPetko
May 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
RG without rain is not a RG!

gentenaire
May 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
At least at RG they have covers, unlike at the US open. Rain delays at the French are never as bad as at the US open. As soon as the rain stop,s they can start playing again. At the US open, you need ball boys and towels to dry the courts.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
At least at RG they have covers, unlike at the US open. Rain delays at the French are never as bad as at the US open. As soon as the rain stop,s they can start playing again. At the US open, you need ball boys and towels to dry the courts.

not exactly start play right away cause they still have to get the water off the tarps...but yea :o don't forget the super powered blowers that they MUST use :o

claypova
May 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM

rain + clay dont mix, so obviuosly they use covers. covers arent necessary for the hardcourts :shrug:

Langers
May 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
As an American TV watcher, I can understand it being the worst.

On the other hand, I've been here this year in Paris all week for RG, and I think that it's my favorite slam venue out of the three I went (US and Wimby). There is sthing quite magical and calmer and green about the venue. Less hectic and huge than the US, but less snobby than Wimby.
I went on a tour of Roland Garros and there is no doubt that it is a spectacularly stunning location, just beautiful. You summed it up perfectly, so peaceful, so green, so relaxed. I would love to go there during the tournament one year.

The French Open probably falls behind Wimbledon and the AO for mine, but it is still very special, ALL Grand Slams are.

Kimthebest
May 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Look at this nice moments of Roland Garros, for me it's definitly the best, real tennis and real drama, after i prefer us open, wimbledon and then AO

VMa0rTiTkU8

Polikarpov
May 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Look at this nice moments of Roland Garros, for me it's definitly the best, real tennis and real drama, after i prefer us open, wimbledon and then AO

VMa0rTiTkU8

Bjorn Borg looking fierce at :37 :lol:

Jienus
May 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
US Open is the worst.

gentenaire
May 27th, 2010, 04:27 PM
rain + clay dont mix, so obviuosly they use covers. covers arent necessary for the hardcourts :shrug:

I think the US Open could definitely use some covers.

At least with clay, it can rain a little. Hard courts become slippery right away.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM

it is when you have to spend and hour drying the courts, most of that time could be spent playing but they refuse to do anything

tonybotz
May 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
it's got old world charm... which isn't so charming in 2010.

améliemomo
May 27th, 2010, 05:24 PM
If you were not a william fan you could have some credit but hum...

I still in mind very BAD slam tournaments where you just couldnt watch match at all the whole day.Many matchs postponed(Wimbledon) with so bad organiation(US Open who have to dry courts with towels,it takes less time to have "protection bash":tape::help:
roland garros has some improvements to make but it is NOT the worst slam.

the crowd is "alive" yes, cant say the same in other's.Sometime you think they are not there.(zzzzzz)

propi
May 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM
No, US Open is still the worst, and will continue being for a long time until they finally decide to finish the final set tie break :)

AusRGWimbyUS
May 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Every slam needs more alcohol

Shvedbarilescu
May 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
The loss to injury of Maria Jose in the 1st round was for me personally heartbreaking and took a lot of the fun out of this tournament. And it was sad but I suppose inevitable to see Kimiko go down to Groth unable to play her best tennis due to her physical condition. But in every other respect it has been pretty good so far. A few surprises as always, although perhaps less over the 1st few days than expected, and my some of my favourites have pleasantly surprised me too. It's been ok.

As for the weather, what do you expect? I've been following Grand Slam tennis for a long time and rain delays are nothing new. I just accept them as part of the package. Grand Slam rain is like the brussel sprouts in a Christmas dinner which I just put to the side and ignore. It doesn't really take away from all the yummy things on the plate which I which still be able to enjoy even if I might have to show some patience first.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
In terms of the actual tennis, RG is probably my favorite to watch. To win here requires the ability to think and construct points. Wimbledon is probably my favorite in terms of the facility and the overall prestige of the event, but grass court tennis (especially on the men's side) can be painfully dull.

That being said, the crowds at RG are disgusting. I was absolutely appalled at their behavior in the Monfils match towards the end yesterday, booing his opponent every time he won a point.

starin
May 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
yes. clay suxorz. RG has the most irritating winners. of the slams in the modern era it has the most fluke winners. And it's slam finals are consistently awful. And it has too many marathon pusher matches.

kiwifan
May 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
In terms of the actual tennis, RG is probably my favorite to watch. To win here requires the ability to think and construct points to keep the ball in play one stroke longer than your opponent. Wimbledon is probably my favorite in terms of the facility and the overall prestige of the event, but grass court tennis (especially on the men's side) can be painfully dull.the best sign of the aggression and athleticism that makes the sport of tennis great.
;)

I've seen plenty of hackers, watching the best pros on Clay, walk away thinking "I can do that, too", on grass you see why the best are the best. :cool:

:devil:

cellophane
May 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I wish the fucking Monfils match would be over already :rolleyes:

disco_rage
May 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I love the way all the Slams are different... and personally i love the Roland Garros crowd and their boos.

Mynarco
May 27th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I like the bitchiness of the players in RG

Inger67
May 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes.

homogenius
May 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
No

Cakeisgood
May 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
To be honest, this has, so far, been one of the better slams in a long time. Seeds, for the most part, playing well and the bitchiness is awesome :)

ViceUltramontain
May 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Except the rain, I think it's a pretty good Roland Garros this year with surprises, bitchiness and some very interesting matches to come. I'm loving it.

edificio
May 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
They don't control the rain.

However, I think they do make the players play too long in bad light conditions.

The crowd's whistling and booing is very annoying.

Also, the scheduling is odd at times. But can you not say that about all the slams?

I don't think it is the worst, but I'm not sure which I'd designate as "the worst."

goat
May 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Grand Slam rain is like the brussel sprouts in a Christmas dinner which I just put to the side and ignore. It doesn't really take away from all the yummy things on the plate which I which still be able to enjoy even if I might have to show some patience first.

Best Simile EVER!:lol:

slamchamp
May 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
another williams fan hating FO..BORING!!

Rollo
May 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
1. It rains every year.
2. Rude crowd.
4. No artificial light.
5. No Roof.

It's precisely because of all these things that I love the French. Call me old school, but I think true champions should have to overcome things like the elements, scheduling, and yes, even a rude crowd.

Contrast that to the Aussie Open, where the poor babies get to play in the air-conditioning if it gets too hot.

Give me true grit anyday:)

I can understand though if that doesn't appeal to others. Remember this though: variety is the spice of life and the tennis circuit. it would be sad indeed if all the slams turn into a commercial outdoor/sometimes indoors event on hard courts.

Rollo
May 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Anyway-I bit of history-the French actually had lights at Roland for at least a couple of years in the late 60s/early 70s. I'm not sure if they used them, but in old pics from that time you can see the lightposts.

The Aussie was the first slam to use outdoor lighting-Margaret Smith (later Court) was the first woman to win a slam under the lights in the 1960s.

goat
May 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I don't mind Roland Garros, especially the crowd :lol:, the only thing I have a problem with is that EVERY DAY more and more matches are being reschedualled causing the list to build up - resulting in me having to pay attention the following day for the matches I wanted to see :P (selfish)

Besides this no Hungarians ever remain after round 3.

ViennaCalling
May 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
RG is far better than Wimbledon, I hate it :zzz:

guapogreg08
May 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
as a tennis fan, i find it incomprehensible for anyone to dislike a grand slam. i have my preferences, but i love them all immensely

vanillalatte
May 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
i actually like the french open but the time isn't that good for me :(
the us open times are perfect :hearts: :hearts:

vanillalatte
May 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
as a tennis fan, i find it incomprehensible for anyone to dislike a grand slam. i have my preferences, but i love them all immensely

:worship:

LCS
May 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
How can this be boring? Rain hits all slams with the exception of the Aussie and the lights' situation will probably be solved by next year after yesterday's scandal in Monfils vs Fognini :o

Vartan
May 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
This RG had so much drama, it can't be the worst slam.

slamchamp
May 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
as a tennis fan, i find it incomprehensible for anyone to dislike a grand slam. i have my preferences, but i love them all immenselyexactly I just can't wait for slams:drool: To DISLIKE a slam for those reasons is stupid, but to each of their own

AnywhereButHome
May 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
After Schiavone's GOAT serve can we say that they dont like technology at Roland Garros!

Arnian
May 28th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I love Roland Garros and are you kidding me, the US Open had rain issues out the ass last year :spit:

It's interesting how it's always a Williams fan trashing Roland Garros :lol:

homogenius
May 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
After Schiavone's GOAT serve can we say that they dont like technology at Roland Garros!

We got it, it sucks, so what do you suggest ? Should we move RG in a country like let's say...Bulgaria and see what happen ? :tape:

el_conquistador
May 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
RG is by far the best major for womens tennis

it's the most physically and mentally demanding http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/f030.gif

Mynarco
May 28th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I like RG, but please, get a cover+lighting for SL and PC in case of raining, and the most important thing - HAWKEYE :o

GreenGrass
May 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Yes

el_conquistador
May 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I like RG, but please, get a cover+lighting for SL and PC in case of raining, and the most important thing - HAWKEYE :o

lights, yes.

new stadium with retractable roof, NO!

after centre court, philippe chartrier is the most iconic and beautiful show court in all of tennis

.....and the elements and rain delays make it the ultimate test... only the strong survive http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/n075.gif

the mentally weak get ...

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0043.gif