PDA

View Full Version : Sveta:"All the teenagers,I don't see them respecting the other players like we did "

tennis-insomniac
May 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM
"All the teenagers, they come or their parents or their agents or someone or they think they're so good. I don't see them respecting the other players like we did when we came here,” Kuznetsova said. "I was respecting - I played Kim Clijsters. For me, it was huge. I played Justine Henin, and you're like wow! They're big. You have respect. You want to be like them. (They) come and they see themselves equal and it's not like that. These girls have been here forever. They've done so much for the tennis. And then physically I don't see good prepared and strong mentally girls."

i don't know if it's already been discussed but i wonder who is she referring to or most of the girls in this generation tends to be a little bit too full of themselves?? :tennis:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2010-05-27/201005271274951326014.html

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Awesome :worship:

Cosmologist
May 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
She is right. There is no respect from the new generation. From Azarenka to de Brito. Young players don't respect the older ones.

Hayato
May 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
*CoughRezaiCough*

FrOzon
May 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
*CoughRezaiCough*

Rezai is no teenager anymore ;)

Galsen
slay them Sveta

John.
Sveta :yeah:

Sean.
May 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe if she wasn't so inconsistent she'd earn their respect. Don't get me wrong Sveta is a great player but after her performance this clay season it's hardly surprising that the younger players don't respect her!

heart
May 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
so true!

tennnisfannn
May 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I thought she meant 'respect' in the sense of not being overwhelmed that they were playing a top player and so could go toe to toe with reckless abandon, seeow maria swang s freely aginst lindsay and serena in wimby 04!

Ferg
May 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Sexlana preaching it once again. Wonder whos she talking about.. :spit:

Kworb
May 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I don't get what she's saying. We've always had teenagers showing no respect for their aging opponents.

Direwolf
May 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I agree with her...
teenagers should just let these top players win and bow down!!!

FrOzon
May 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I don't get what she's saying. We've always had teenagers showing no respect for their aging opponents.

There might be a difference if you consider "on" or "off" court.

timafi
May 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Amen Sveta:yeah:

Vaidisova Ruled
May 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
oh my god, this is exactly what I was saying these past few days

I made a thread about that 2 hours ago, but a stupid mod deleted that

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Too busy fawning. That is why you only have 2 majors, Svetlana. Beat Justine and stop respecting her.

Привет
May 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I don't really get it. Sure, the young ones should respect what the established players have done for tennis, but I don't see why they should be overawed with respect for their games. If they're near them in the rankings (Wozniacki, Azarenka, Radwanska), then they need to believe that they can beat the established players, and so they have to believe they are equal.

And then the last comment I don't understand either. Some of these players who aren't "good prepared and strong mentally" have put her out of Grand Slams on numerous occasions. :shrug:

I don't see where she's coming from.

Cp6uja
May 27th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe if she wasn't so inconsistent she'd earn their respect. Don't get me wrong Sveta is a great player but after her performance this clay season it's hardly surprising that the younger players don't respect her!Talking about all WTA players younger than Kuznetsova, spoiled brat generation not respect anybody, not only Sveta. Only exception is Ivanovic and maybe Wozniacki (+ seems Cirstea and Szaway is on right way). I think Serena and Justine in theirs time also not respect anybody too much, but they at least have some reason for that, and maybe same we have to say for Sharapova - for all others excuses is not good.

Bobisa
May 27th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Sveta :bowdown:

Drimal
May 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Well said Svetlana! :worship:

VishaalMaria
I thought she meant 'respect' in the sense of not being overwhelmed that they were playing a top player and so could go toe to toe with reckless abandon, seeow maria swang s freely aginst lindsay and serena in wimby 04!

I agree.

I see what Svetlana is trying to say, but on court I don't believe players should have respect for each other in terms of being in "awe". I think some players just have too much respect for the top guns that, in a tight match against them, they choke. You shouldn't have that much respect.

Off court, you should always be civil.

ivanban
I agree with her...

Ermm, she's not saying that :shrug:

It also pisses me off when I see some youngster against top player making ridiculous antics like "wth she think she is to pass me like that?!" :rolleyes: (like that Monfils-clone that played against Nadal)

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Serena was always talking about Seles
these young players all look the same play the same and no one really stands out.The last teen to stand out was pova ,since 04 there has not been another phenom all of the new breed are boring.

AnDrEi.b
May 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
You`re right Sveta ! :D

Chance
May 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Ermm, she's not saying that :shrug:

It also pisses me off when I see some youngster against top player making ridiculous antics like "wth she think she is to pass me like that?!" :rolleyes: (like that Monfils-clone that played against Nadal)

he was being sarcastic.

ivanban
May 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
he was being sarcastic.

I know

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Oudin is an example and has nothing to show for her arrogance

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Sveta :hearts:

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Sveta was not around when Kournikova and Hingis came on the tour.
I'm sure there's always some young players in awe, and some who think they're the new Queen

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I'm sure there's always some young players in awe, and some who think they're the new Queen

Mhmm.

When Graf, Hingis, Williams, and possibly Seles came onto the tour they did not respect the people before them. They came to play, came to win.

This mentality Svetlana has only highlights the sporadic success she has had in major events.

AcesHigh
May 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Mhmm.

When Graf, Hingis, Williams, and possibly Seles came onto the tour they did not respect the people before them. They came to play, came to win.

This mentality Svetlana has only highlights the sporadic success she has had in major events.

You don't think Venus, Serena, Davenport etc had respect for Seles and Graf and Seles?

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
wrong mentality sveta...it's nice and all to be respectful of who you're playing, but you don't have to respect them to a point where you're intimidated....

now i understand why you don't beat jh :o get it together

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM
You don't think Venus, Serena, Davenport etc had respect for Seles and Graf and Seles?

yea for achievements...but i doubt they went out thinking they weren't better and could win...nadal has a lot of respect for federer but that doesn't stop him from believing he's gonna beat him on court

Bijoux0021
May 27th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Too busy fawning. That is why you only have 2 majors, Svetlana. Beat Justine and stop respecting her.

Mhmm.

:worship: :worship:

These.

Slutiana
May 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Rezai is no teenager anymore ;)
She sure acts like one though.

:happy: Well we all know that Kournikova was actually the queen, Chucky was just jealous.

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM
When Sveta was just coming she was at Sanchez academy, and played doubles with ASV, then with Navratilova.
So she knew them when she was very young, and respected them.

But a young player who gets endorsement deals early and has the fawning agent, they have a different sense of entitlement

Привет
May 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Not after the umpire called "Play."

vadin124
May 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I think this is a ridiculous argument from Sveta.

Her record against the players she "idolised" is 3-23...this is an appalling record, and if that's what she's going to get from respecting them so much, then the younger players should do exactly the opposite to what she says.

Why should the younger players bow down and concede defeat virtually before the match has even begun, and let the older generation walk all over them? Stupid Stupid Stupid.

It's not only Sveta's game that's disintegrating rapidly. :rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
wrong mentality sveta...it's nice and all to be respectful of who you're playing, but you don't have to respect them to a point where you're intimidated....

now i understand why you don't beat jh :o get it together

yea for achievements...but i doubt they went out thinking they weren't better and could win...nadal has a lot of respect for federer but that doesn't stop him from believing he's gonna beat him on court
:worship: :worship:

And these.

Lady

Isn't it exactly what Sveta is talking about?
Respecting players achievements?

Sveta beat Justine while Ju was holding 3 slams at the time and Sveta was up and coming player, so bad example on your part.

Slutiana
When Sveta was just coming she was at Sanchez academy, and played doubles with ASV, then with Navratilova.
So she knew them when she was very young, and respected them.

But a young player who gets endorsement deals early and has the fawning agent, they have a different sense of entitlement
Agree, I do think she was referring to off-court rather than on the court. She seems to be saying that GS are arrogant and rude in addition to sucking.

Привет
May 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
If she's talking only about off the court and saying that the teenagers are arrogant and have a false sense of entitlement, who would she be talking about? :scratch:

Judging by their twitter conversations and what not, you'd have to assume Sveta gets on quite well with a lot of the young players. :shrug:

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Have you SEEN Venus beat Graf in Miami? Have you seen Serena beat Graf in Indian Wells?

Davenport did have too much respect for them hence her lack of success. Davenport said that she felt sorry for Seles each time she had to play her and a part of her always wanted Seles to win just because of what happened in her career.

Davenport has other numerous quotes about how she felt when she was playing Graf. Particularly their first encounter and their slam meetings.

Davenport has how many majors? Too much respect.

No way when Hingis and the Williams arrived did they care about them. They wanted to win. Winning mentality.

I would never praise such a weak mentality.

Bijoux0021
May 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I think this is a ridiculous argument from Sveta.

Her record against the players she "idolised" is 3-23...this is an appalling record, and if that's what she's going to get from respecting them so much, then the younger players should do exactly the opposite to what she says.

Why should the younger players bow down and concede defeat virtually before the match has even begun, and let the older generation walk all over them? Stupid Stupid Stupid.

It's not only Sveta's game that's disintegrating rapidly. :rolleyes:
WOW! Shame on you, Sveta. :o No more respect, please.

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Isn't it exactly what Sveta is talking about?
Respecting players achievements?

Sveta beat Justine while Ju was holding 3 slams at the time and Sveta was up and coming player, so bad example on your part.

what's the h-2-h??? yea get back to me later on how wrong my example was

and btw she's talking about how fearless the players are now...they step on court and don't respect that players and their achievements...

like someone said: after the word 'play' comes from the chair ump all that respect goes out the window

Slutiana
May 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If she's talking only about off the court and saying that the teenagers are arrogant and have a false sense of entitlement, who would she be talking about? :scratch:

Judging by their twitter conversations and what not, you'd have to assume Sveta gets on quite well with a lot of the young players. :shrug:
Well maybe she's talking about Oudin the lower ranked younger players rather than the ones already established in the top 10. Or maybe somebody pissed her off just before that and she was venting. :happy:

SHILIN-GOAT
May 27th, 2010, 11:35 AM
maybe she talk about Petkovic :shrug:

moby
May 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
It's a strange point to make, but could possibly made sense if she meant that the up-and-coming players feel entitled and so don't work as hard to improve their game / get fazed on the court when their accomplished opponents up their level of play.

Lady
May 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM
what's the h-2-h??? yea get back to me later on how wrong my example was

Justine is the better player, simple as that.

The fact is respecting Justine while Sveta was a newcomer and Justine was #1 didn't stop Sveta from beating her.
The H-2-H is not only about respect.

Sveta beat Serena at RG last year, I'm sure she didn't stop respecting her achievements.

And for me Sveta talks about attitude like Rezai's "not impressed" with Serena etc. If some can openly say it to the press, who knows how they behave off-court.
So for me, that's what Sveta is talking about.

Bijoux0021
May 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM

:bs:

Ferg
May 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Didnt you see Petkovic's twitter?

Joana
May 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Only god can be our jurge, Sweata, so relaxxxxxx.

doni1212
May 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
:worship:

Matt01
May 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Petkovic was respectful to Sveta at the net during the handshake and she was resepectful to her during the actual match when she choked to give Sveta the match so I doubt that :lol:

debopero
May 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Venus and Serena had respect for the older players as teens? :tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
May 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM

The fact is respecting Justine while Sveta was a newcomer and Justine was #1 didn't stop Sveta from beating her.
The H-2-H is not only about respect.

Sveta beat Serena at RG last year, I'm sure she didn't stop respecting her achievements.

And for me Sveta talks about attitude like Rezai's "not impressed" with Serena etc. If some can openly say it to the press, who knows how they behave off-court.
So for me, that's what Sveta is talking about.

really??? sveta has the perfect game to beat jh...her respect is what gets her in trouble mentally

sveta beat serena when she started to get tight...even so...look at sveta's h-2-h against the "players she respects"...she gets 1 or 2 wins here and there but go back to that 3-23 h-2-h is just PISS poor

miffedmax
May 27th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I suspect Sveta is talking about things like some of today's players running there mouths, skipping presser conferences, pulling gamesmanship, tanking, yelling at fans, withdrawing, etc. and in general not showing as much respect for "the game" as much as the older players.

Plus we have no idea what goes on in the lockerroom, where there probably used to be a pecking order and that could be changing.

Plus, for all her chokes, Sveta has more slams than any member of Generation Suck.

moby
May 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
really??? sveta has the perfect game to beat jh...her respect is what gets her in trouble mentally
No she does not. Justine has a thousand and one ways to beat Sveta - she can overpower her on the fast courts; her variety confuses the poor shot selection and timing of Sveta; and she can rally with Sveta all day.

On slow courts, Sveta can make it competitive by virtue of her heavy topspin handcuffing Justine, but even then the other factors come into play and Sveta is just not good enough to get the win.

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yes, I agree. Svetlana's rally BH really fails her overall in that match-up and Svetlana, through all her trials, cannot make up the deficit with her forehand. The 2nd serve doesn't really trouble Justine either. Svetlana would need to serve bolder as well.

Anyways back to the issue. Wozniacki and Azarenka having dinner with the Williams and congratulating them immediately after they lose to them via Twitter.

This would have never happened in past eras. These girls are so weak that it is sad.

CloudAtlas
May 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Svetlana you keep on "respecting" the top players whilst having an abysmal H2H against all of them despite having the game to go toe to toe with them.

treufreund
May 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I love it how bitter so many posters are about Justine's H2H against Jankovic, Dementieva and Kuznetsova. I love all of those players mentioned but it's the agenda of SOME posters here to discredit Justine's wins by saying that the other players like Sveta are better players but that they just had too much respect. I thought Sveta was just talking about the overall immaturity and lack of civility of the younger players. Based on her quotes it is a little tough to say exactly what she meant.

treufreund
May 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, I agree. Svetlana's rally BH really fails her overall in that match-up and Svetlana, through all her trials, cannot make up the deficit with her forehand. The 2nd serve doesn't really trouble Justine either. Svetlana would need to serve bolder as well.

Anyways back to the issue. Wozniacki and Azarenka having dinner with the Williams and congratulating them immediately after they lose to them via Twitter.

This would have never happened in past eras. These girls are so weak that it is sad.

I lost all respect for Azarenka when she was smiling and laughing as serena started beating her in Australia and Victoria basically gave up. She knows that she has NO plan B and was rude to skip out on her press conference. Gisela Dulko was right to say that Vika's forehand was her "soft spot". Azarenka and Wozniacki seem to think that if the butter up Serena that she will take it easy on them. Get real. She will beat you every time LOL. Kim mauled Azarenka in Miami and Vika seemed very rude towards her too.

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Sveta nobody cares about two slams plus you have never been no.1 get over it you have never dominated an era or anyone,you are just a middle of the pack player like most players...not quite elite

miffedmax
May 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
It's one thing to respect an opponent and another to fear them.

Sergius
May 27th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Svetlana you keep on "respecting" the top players whilst having an abysmal H2H against all of them despite having the game to go toe to toe with them.

I know it's cheap but I can't help posting this:lol:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=404563&highlight=perfect+losing
Btw, at the age of 19 Sveta has already won a slam whilst the girl from your avatar seems to not do that ever

Aravanecaravan
May 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The notion that there has to be some sort of "pecking order", either on court or in the locker room, makes me want to puke. That sounds like the quaint little world of ice skating. No champion player worth her salt should be thinking "I should feel good about myself, having lost to a __-time grand slam champion. She's my idol.". If they do, they ought to find another job.

Chorophyll
May 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I lost all respect for Azarenka when she was smiling and laughing as serena started beating her in Australia and Victoria basically gave up. She knows that she has NO plan B and was rude to skip out on her press conference. Gisela Dulko was right to say that Vika's forehand was her "soft spot". Azarenka and Wozniacki seem to think that if the butter up Serena that she will take it easy on them. Get real. She will beat you every time LOL. Kim mauled Azarenka in Miami and Vika seemed very rude towards her too.

:lol: I know. Serena would NEVER be friends with a true threat. They're so dumb.

tanman
May 27th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I think sveta was talking about what you see when you are in the players lounge or restaurant at grand slams. The
younger generation of players coming up have a entitlement mentality even though they have won nothing at the pro level.
Which is fueled by agents, parents and coaches.

tennisbum79
May 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I think sveta was talking about what you see when you are in the players lounge or restaurant at grand slams. The
younger generation of players coming up have a entitlement mentality even though they have won nothing at the pro level.
Which is fueled by agents, parents and coaches.
I agree with that.

Some posters are so quick at jumping on Sveta, accusing her of confusing respect with awe and weakness.

sportywoman
May 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Agree !

I will also add, it's one thing to have respect for your opponent and have two slams and another one to not have any respect, acting arrogant like you are the shit and have zero slams nonetheless let alone a number spot.

treufreund
May 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I agree with that.

Some posters are so quick at jumping on Sveta, accusing her of confusing respect with awe and weakness.

This! Sveta is a great sportswoman, role model and player. She does have respect for many players but that is a good I thing. She has two slams and many titles and great results and wins over just about every player. I thought it was such a cute story when she talked about how excited she was to meet Roger Federer for the first time even though she was already a major titleholder LOL.

Burisleif
May 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Sorry if I but in and disturb you during your social Imagineering.

To quote re age comments:

"It's Irrelevant whether they are 17 or 35, We are all people, and of course they have been on the tour for longer, but I am who I am and they can like it or leave it."

"I have a good relationship with the older players, I have a good relationship to most of the players, and have a load of friends on the tour."

You may now return to you normal state.

IceSkaTennisFan
May 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
"All the teenagers, they come or their parents or their agents or someone or they think they're so good. I don't see them respecting the other players like we did when we came here,” Kuznetsova said. "I was respecting - I played Kim Clijsters. For me, it was huge. I played Justine Henin, and you're like wow! They're big. You have respect. You want to be like them. (They) come and they see themselves equal and it's not like that. These girls have been here forever. They've done so much for the tennis. And then physically I don't see good prepared and strong mentally girls."

i don't know if it's already been discussed but i wonder who is she referring to or most of the girls in this generation tends to be a little bit too full of themselves?? :tennis:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2010-05-27/201005271274951326014.html
She could include Rezai and Bartoli :tape:

KournikovaFan91
May 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
From what I see it seems to be the older players who are the real bitches off court and on.

Virginia Wade said the whole new teens are all nice to each other off court and go shopping and go to dinner together unlike 10 years ago when everyone was in a rivalry with one another.

I also don't see why these players should be respected after all everyone wants to beat them, who gives a shit what they have won. :rolleyes: If I was a player I would want to beat everyone, I wouldn't care about what anyone had won.

Ntosake
May 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I think I get what Sveta is trying to say.

Every player should show up to win with no respect to who is across the net.

But once you leave the court, stfu with your catty comments about their patriotism, or committment to the game, or whatever you feel intitled to comment on about them in the press that day.

That's the respect that's missing to me.

GAGAlady
May 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe if she wasn't so inconsistent she'd earn their respect. Don't get me wrong Sveta is a great player but after her performance this clay season it's hardly surprising that the younger players don't respect her!

this has nothing to do with her clay court results this year. Svetlana is a grand slam champion and a seasoned PRO on tour, as well as one of the nicest all around players out there, so to me your poor comment has no sway over what a player of her merit has accomplished, and shes right.

The new girls are very bitchy and disrespectfull, they are annoying and they have no respect for anybody but themselves.

Its really sad, it shows no class really, Aravene is only one of them, but shes deff a big mouth girl no doubt:help:

Tennisstar86
May 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
From what I see it seems to be the older players who are the real bitches off court and on.

Virginia Wade said the whole new teens are all nice to each other off court and go shopping and go to dinner together unlike 10 years ago when everyone was in a rivalry with one another.

I also don't see why these players should be respected after all everyone wants to beat them, who gives a shit what they have won. :rolleyes: If I was a player I would want to beat everyone, I wouldn't care about what anyone had won.

well, sveta must have forgot about "the Venus Williams" :lol: I think the problem is Sveta came during a transition time so the players she respected were practically 2-3 years older than her anyways.....

As far as the teenagers hanging out these day blah blah... Of course they are....None of them are really big time contenders... 10 years ago. the teenagers Hingis/ Venus/ Serena were winning and contending for all the majors....having millions thrown at them. (Kournikova too and she wasnt even winning) These girls these days dont get anywhere near the publicity/ populatarity the teens of 10 years ago did, because they arent winning anything.....

CloudAtlas
May 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I know it's cheap but I can't help posting this:lol:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=404563&highlight=perfect+losing
Btw, at the age of 19 Sveta has already won a slam whilst the girl from your avatar seems to not do that ever

Don't know about cheap but your post is totally irrelevant. She may have perfect losing h2h against all active #1's but so what? That's unrelated to the point I was making about Svetlana moaning about respect. If Caroline had complained about something similar perhaps you may have had an argument. Seems like you had nothing to say so instead chose to pick up on a completely random thing like my avatar and comment on that =/

ZODIAC
May 27th, 2010, 03:19 PM
the teens are probably jealous that they will never have the fame glory and money the older players have,like say Aravane she will never have endorsements or make $30mil on tour alone.

Sergius
May 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Don't know about cheap but your post is totally irrelevant. She may have perfect losing h2h against all active #1's but so what? That's unrelated to the point I was making about Svetlana moaning about respect. If Caroline had complained about something similar perhaps you may have had an argument. Seems like you had nothing to say so instead chose to pick up on a completely random thing like my avatar and comment on that =/

Well, if you want to see a relevant post, I'm afraid that you just didn't get what Sveta had said. She is a two-time slam winner and have won some majors and used to be world number 2 and is considered as one of the best players on the tour. And even after that she is not bitchy to other players and show her respect (that doesn't maen she is frightened of them, she is just respectful). On the other hand on the tour there some girls that didn't do anything considerable and significant and are annoying and disrespectful to the other players (like "not impressed by Serena" Rezai). I think that's what she was trying to say.
Is it ok now?

goldenlox
May 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
In other words, "These kids today..."

treufreund
May 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Exactly... Many people on here seem to think that showing respect for a person is a pejorative. They feel like it is the same thing as being afraid or intimidated. That's BS. Bravado is nothing but insecurity disguised as confidence.

thrust
May 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I agree with her...

LOL!! Sveta is a sometimes great player, but much too inconsistant for any good young player not to believe they can beat her. There is no reason for her to criticize a teenager for trying to beat her or any top older player. Just concentrate on your own game Sveta, throughout the whole match, and you will win more often. Don't worry what the kids think about you!

CloudAtlas
May 27th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Well, if you want to see a relevant post, I'm afraid that you just didn't get what Sveta had said. She is a two-time slam winner and have won some majors and used to be world number 2 and is considered as one of the best players on the tour. And even after that she is not bitchy to other players and show her respect (that doesn't maen she is frightened of them, she is just respectful). On the other hand on the tour there some girls that didn't do anything considerable and significant and are annoying and disrespectful to the other players (like "not impressed by Serena" Rezai). I think that's what she was trying to say.
Is it ok now?

Well I'm not sure who Sveta is referring to as she is talking about teenagers , and Rezai is not one of those. And anyway respect is earnt. Sveta's generation had the Belgians , Davenport, The Williams Mauresmo e.t.c to look up to. The current teenage crop have Kuznetsova , Safina , Ivanovic, and Jankovic. Is it a surprise that there is no respect as Sveta puts it? All the players in the latter category put together could not measure up to just a single player in the first category.

crazillo
May 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hingis once said Novotna is too old and slow to play doubles. Not much respect there either. It's always been like that.

gentenaire
May 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
It seems the bitchiness of the 90s is back. There was far less bitchiness going on in the noughties.

hellas719
May 28th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Sveta is always correct :worship:

osseous
May 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Sveta! :yeah: