PDA

View Full Version : Groths to represent Turkey after citizenship provided !!!

Tenisci
May 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
According to http://www.aksam.com.tr/2010/05/26/haber/spor/6927/jarmila_iyi_basladi.html , Jarmila and His husband will represent Turkey after citizenship.

spiceboy
May 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
LOL after all the struggle to get the Australian citizenship :haha:

Rafito.
May 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
What the :weirdo:

Caralenko
May 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
:spit: You're kidding.

Keadz
link doesnt work.

spiceboy
TA must be so happy about giving her all these MDWC in Grand Slam :tape:

matthias
May 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
and after Turkey? whatīs country is next on her list?
maybe SaudiArabia, or Sudan?
is she seeling herself on ebay, or whats going on with her?

Just Do It
May 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
But why ? She is a top player who earned a lot already and doesnt need money from Turkish tennis federation :shrug:

The whole story could be fake though.

Tenisci
May 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
and after Turkey? whatīs country is next on her list?
maybe SaudiArabia, or Sudan?
is she seeling herself on ebay, or whats going on with her?

Turkey is much more difficult that those countries :o

They are living here and saw how the environment is.

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
anything to do with Gavin Hopper :spit:

Petkorazzi
May 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
^ Yes, I remember reading that they are in the Hopper Academy now! :)

M.P
May 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
MDWC :tape:

propi
May 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Well even if I do not agree with the method (I'd rather see young Turkish tennis players jump to proffessionals) I guess that can do wonders for Turkish tennis if they act as reference... :D
Turkey already has Marsel, but lacks a good wta player, so who knows??
Watch out for Turkish armada to come :bounce: ;)

Chorophyll
May 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
3 nationality changes for Jarmila and counting.

Noctis
May 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hope they denie her.

Petkorazzi
May 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Groths to link up with Hopper in Turkey

Late last year, soon after Australian husband-and-wife team Jarmila and Sam Groth lost their individual $150,000 scholarships at the Australian Institute of Sport, they received an offer they could not refuse. It was from Gavin Hopper, now involved with a new tennis academy in Turkey. Within months, the Groths, too, will be based in Istanbul.

Jarmila and Sam, both 22, no longer qualify for an AIS Pro Tour program adjusted to focus on players aged 16-20, and so must pay their own way on the international circuit. Both are returning from injury, Jarmila's ranking having dipped from her career peak of 57th to 123rd, and Sam's 60 spots to 280 during his period sidelined with an elbow problem.

Hopper is an experienced coach and trainer, whose clients before he served a 27-month jail term for indecently assaulting a 14-year-old student while a teacher at Wesley College in the 1980s, included Mark Philippoussis and Monica Seles. He also founded an academy on the Gold Coast with former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash. More recently, he has been working for the Turkish Tennis Federation and living with his family in Istanbul for several years.

'The offer seems almost too good to be true, but everything seems the way it is,'' Jarmila said yesterday. ''We're not sure of all the details, we have to go there and see for ourselves, but right now it seems OK.

''It should be good, there's nothing we can lose about trying to go there and Gavin is a great coach and a great fitness trainer. And we don't have a better offer anyway, so we'll give it a go. He said 'I know you are not in the AIS any more and I would like to help you if you are interested'. He was very keen to work with us, and it was the best option from a financial point of view, so it looks like we're going to go with that. Tennis Australia think it's a good offer and they are supporting us whatever we do.''

Hopper will travel with the pair where possible, and the Groths have been told they will be provided with coaching, training and sports medicine assistance, have access to the academy's facilities and hitting partners and receive help with accommodation and expenses.

So if they have no intention of switching nationalities, what's in it for Turkey? Jarmila sees their value as promotional, and to help set an example for the fledgling academy's aspiring professionals.

Jarmila, a native Slovakian who was granted Australian citizenship in November, will work with Hopper at the upcoming Challenger events in Burnie, Mildura and Sydney as she regains full fitness after ankle surgery last year. Overlooked for next week's Fed Cup tie against Spain despite being eligible for the first time, the national No. 4 hopes to earn selection later in the year.

Slutiana
May 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
:happy: So just training in Turkey then.

spiceboy
May 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
3 nationality changes for Jarmila and counting.

Just 2 as far as I know :p

Tenisci
May 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Groths to link up with Hopper in Turkey

Late last year, soon after Australian husband-and-wife team Jarmila and Sam Groth lost their individual $150,000 scholarships at the Australian Institute of Sport, they received an offer they could not refuse. It was from Gavin Hopper, now involved with a new tennis academy in Turkey. Within months, the Groths, too, will be based in Istanbul.

Jarmila and Sam, both 22, no longer qualify for an AIS Pro Tour program adjusted to focus on players aged 16-20, and so must pay their own way on the international circuit. Both are returning from injury, Jarmila's ranking having dipped from her career peak of 57th to 123rd, and Sam's 60 spots to 280 during his period sidelined with an elbow problem.

Hopper is an experienced coach and trainer, whose clients before he served a 27-month jail term for indecently assaulting a 14-year-old student while a teacher at Wesley College in the 1980s, included Mark Philippoussis and Monica Seles. He also founded an academy on the Gold Coast with former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash. More recently, he has been working for the Turkish Tennis Federation and living with his family in Istanbul for several years.

'The offer seems almost too good to be true, but everything seems the way it is,'' Jarmila said yesterday. ''We're not sure of all the details, we have to go there and see for ourselves, but right now it seems OK.

''It should be good, there's nothing we can lose about trying to go there and Gavin is a great coach and a great fitness trainer. And we don't have a better offer anyway, so we'll give it a go. He said 'I know you are not in the AIS any more and I would like to help you if you are interested'. He was very keen to work with us, and it was the best option from a financial point of view, so it looks like we're going to go with that. Tennis Australia think it's a good offer and they are supporting us whatever we do.''

Hopper will travel with the pair where possible, and the Groths have been told they will be provided with coaching, training and sports medicine assistance, have access to the academy's facilities and hitting partners and receive help with accommodation and expenses.

So if they have no intention of switching nationalities, what's in it for Turkey? Jarmila sees their value as promotional, and to help set an example for the fledgling academy's aspiring professionals.

Jarmila, a native Slovakian who was granted Australian citizenship in November, will work with Hopper at the upcoming Challenger events in Burnie, Mildura and Sydney as she regains full fitness after ankle surgery last year. Overlooked for next week's Fed Cup tie against Spain despite being eligible for the first time, the national No. 4 hopes to earn selection later in the year.

taht article belongs to the beginning of the year. I add a link in first page :rolleyes:

spiceboy
Anyway, she's not the first one. Former top 50 WTA Karin Kschwendt represented Germany, Austria and Switzerland in the 80's and 90's :lol:

Keadz
That article was from January, so who knows what changed.

If its true :o But I think she will stay, surely...if she ever needs anymore wildcards she will be in trouble :p

Sam as well..:o

Nikkiri
May 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Lol wtf.

Hayato
May 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Why? :confused:

He's Australian. They got married in Australia. She lives in Sydney. She spent all her years playing ITF and WTA tournaments in Australia and took forever to get Australian citizenship.

There's no way this can be true, it doesn't make any sense :lol:

Tenisci
May 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
That article was from January, so who knows what changed.

If its true :o But I think she will stay, surely...if she ever needs anymore wildcards she will be in trouble :p

Sam as well..:o

I am not sure about the representation but i put what the article says.

Josh.
So is it actually true or not..

Boreas
Anyway, she's not the first one. Former top 50 WTA Karin Kschwendt represented Germany, Austria and Switzerland in the 80's and 90's :lol:

Those countries are more logical than Slovakia - Australia - Turkey:lol:

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Why? :confused:

He's Australian. They got married in Australia. She lives in Sydney. She spent all her years playing ITF and WTA tournaments in Australia and took forever to get Australian citizenship.

There's no way this can be true, it doesn't make any sense :lol:

Olympic Games :devil:

Dani12
May 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Olympic Games :devil:

Uhhh...she is the fourth Australian. So she'd get in anyway. :tape:

LightsOut!
May 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
:haha: the groths are the fail of the year :haha:

Petkorazzi
May 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Uhhh...she is the fourth Australian. So she'd get in anyway. :tape:
Husband too? :shrug:

Ferg
May 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
She should be Irish next!

claypova
May 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
omg:weirdo:

didnt she just ge tthe australian citizen 5 months ago?

Joana
May 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Do people here ever actually *read* the articles linked or do they just react to thread titles and/or make (often wildly incorrect) assumptions?

Disclaimer: Insult cloaked in question does not apply to all posters. Just the stupid and/or lazy ones making insinuations about Jarmila changing her citizenship again when the article clearly states otherwise.

And if you could read, you'd have noticed that the article is from January and the thread starter apparently posted new info.

Practice what you preach, gurl.

Singleniacki
May 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hope they denie her.

This :o

EDIT: After reading the article, it kinda seems it's her only option. AIS denying her the money :o

spiceboy
May 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Those countries are more logical than Slovakia - Australia - Turkey:lol:

And she was born Czechoslovak :haha:

Juju Nostalgique
May 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Simply retarded... :weirdo:

Juju Nostalgique
May 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM
OMFG Sam was at #60??? I'm really THAT off from the ATP Tour??? :tape: :tape: :tape:

Juju Nostalgique
May 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM

Why not Liechtenstein too? They speak German too AFAIK. :tape: :bs:

Petkorazzi
May 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
OMFG Sam was at #60??? I'm really THAT off from the ATP Tour??? :tape: :tape: :tape:
Article says he fell 60 spots to 280 :haha: His CHR is 232 :)

Boreas
May 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM

According to Wikipedia Kschwendt was actually born in Switzerland - the country she never represented, but she did Luxemburg, Germany and Austria:p

Rising Sun
May 26th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Couldn't they still play for Turkey, but keep Australian citizenship? Unless dual citizenship isn't allowed? :confused:

GeeTee
May 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
*yawn* nothing to see here. move along...

JujulCactus
May 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM
That's a Joke ? :confused:
Seems ridiculous . . .

Jajaloo
May 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM
It's not like it's a big loss. Free's up the wildcards for other players.

If it's true.

Привет
May 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Surely they're just going to train there... :rolls:

tennisforadults
May 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm not convinced AT ALL. Always consider the news source!!!

Sounds like Jarka and Sam are going to train in Turkey but not become Turkish citizens, certainly not representing Turkey.

It will be the biggest joke if they switch nationalities and TA let it happen. So, basically... don't think it'll ever happen.

HOS
May 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Kschwendt represemted luxmbourg too.....maybe monaco...seriously, think she said he dad was a banker who moved around a bit so she followed him...lufs it

tenn_ace
May 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
wow what a citizenship slut :rolls:

Juju Nostalgique
May 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Article says he fell 60 spots to 280 :haha: His CHR is 232 :)

LOL @ myself!!! :haha: No wonder I never saw his name anywere! :lol:

LefandePatty
May 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
This is not true. :weirdo:

Jogi
May 26th, 2010, 12:44 PM
this is ridiculous if it's true
girl needs to find some identity

pesto
May 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hah! If it's true, they should fast-track his citizenship within the next month. With Ilhan, he'd probably be good enough to beat the British Davis Cup scrubs.

TheBoiledEgg
May 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hah! If it's true, they should fast-track his citizenship within the next month. With Ilhan, he'd probably be good enough to beat the British Davis Cup scrubs.

it must be an Aussie conspiracy :tape: :lol:

Harvs
May 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
no way this will happen

Jem
May 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM

And she started out from Luxembourg. Will say that I only remember Kswchwendt ever playing Fed Cup for Luxembourg, but I could be forgetting her play with other countries. She had the distinction of being the first player from Luxembourg to reach the third round at Wimbledon.

austennis
May 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I hope this isnt true...it will be big shame if it is because really they worked so hard to get Jarmila Aus citizenship, and would have known the age limits... besides if she plays enough, gets her ranking back to top 60 she wont need assistance

Richie's
May 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
not true.

$uricate
May 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
She's just trying to beat Jelena :o

Wiggly
May 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
This has to be fake.
Otherwise, I've lost all respect for this girl.

What's next? Burkina Faso then Ecuador?

Daniel K
May 26th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah this surely can't be true. After all the effort she went to to get (AUS) next to her name. I mean what would be the point exactly?

jimbo mack
May 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I had no idea kswchendt used to play for luxembourg :eek: i thought she was always austrian :o

KournikovaFan91
May 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
:lol: All these nationality changes, its like figure skating.

I wish sometime someone would become Irish.

JackFrost
May 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Women. They just donīt know, what they want. :shrug:

Yellow Moon
May 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Women. They just donīt know, what they want. :shrug:
yeah, and they don't stop nagging till they get IT ....

$uricate
May 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
This has to be fake.
Otherwise, I've lost all respect for this girl.

What's next? Burkina Faso then Ecuador?

then Antarctica :hearts: